PDA

View Full Version : Combo USB/Firewire cable from Apple/Bluetooth keyboard and mouse

jholzner
Mar 6, 2003, 04:04 PM
According to macwispers.com Apple is working on a Combo USB/Firewire cable and also that Apple is already manufacturing new bluetooth mice a keyboards.

http://www.envestco2.com/macwhispers/

rideahyperLite
Mar 6, 2003, 04:54 PM
neato

Jaykay
Mar 6, 2003, 05:00 PM
Yeah i lie the idea of a BT mouse and keyboard but im always gonna be annoyed by the fact that they need batteries. I hope apple do their usual innovative thing and make a keyboard and mouse that will make me go "I want one, I want one NOW" (Like quite a few other apple stuff has in the past...

jholzner, nice sig.

Eniregnat
Mar 6, 2003, 05:05 PM
Combo is a poor term. It makes me think 1 end, 2 uses and the geometry just doesn’t work- unlike combination a XLR and a 1/4" jack :cool:. I think that they/you mean a cable that terminates in two separate ends. I have some issues, what kind of terminations at the end, A,B,m,f, mini, normal, side by side, or separate. Luckily, they are all so different. No mistakes as to how to plug it in. I agree with Macwhisper’s commentary. The cable makes little sense and I couldn’t figure out how it would fit into Apple's product lines. Perhaps a dongle for a new portable product? :)

The rumor also never states that Apple ordered the cables, just that an OEM that produces products for Apple is creating a product. There is to little information to make the report useful. I just need more before I get excited or wishful.

If it does pan out, Macwhispers will again have the best scoop on secret information.

My wireless mouse sucks down batteries, but my keyboard doesn’t. Wireless is cool, but not a necessity.

Kwyjibo
Mar 6, 2003, 05:11 PM
I might actually have a use for bluetooth now..... this would definatley be a cool feature if the implement it well but the whole batterry thing bothers me, I mean look at the iPod thing.

pyrotoaster
Mar 6, 2003, 05:30 PM
A wireless keyboard will eventually arrive, but soon is good. ;)

He mentions in the article that the supplier is making the board in two colors. My two guesses: Black and White.

Ervino
Mar 6, 2003, 06:25 PM
I know that MacOS X is wonderful, beautiful, etc., but I still use preferentially MacOS 9.2.2. My question is: anybony knows of a way to use Bluetooth under MacOS 9???

Cheers
Ervino

cc bcc
Mar 6, 2003, 06:44 PM
I hope the usb/firewire cable is for some front ports on the powermac. That would be nice!

MorganX
Mar 6, 2003, 06:52 PM
I hope the BT mouse has two buttons.

Nermal
Mar 6, 2003, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by MorganX

And a scroll wheel :)

SonicSamurai
Mar 6, 2003, 07:46 PM
Probibly true. But if they did come out with it today, it would still be two months too late. Not unless they pull of something deceifully tricky and FINALLY realease a BlueTooth update that lets the new macs with BT installed take advantage of it with peripherals.

As for battery life.... when will people realize that solar cells + rechargable batteries= better wireless experience ? You could charge the keyboard yourself off of a USB or Firewire port , but that wouldn't happen so often that people get pissed, because the cells serve to extend the life of the batteries. Duh!

MaxArturo
Mar 6, 2003, 07:47 PM
I don't know about how useful BT is with keyboards though. It's so easy already.

phampton81
Mar 6, 2003, 07:49 PM
After looking at my beautiful apple pro mouse I began thinking how cool it would be if it were wireless. If apple made it so that you could just plug it in to recharge it with the cord in the normal 'wired' state, then it would be a seamless transition from wired to wireless. Also what I think would be awesome is if they found a way to make a virtual right click and scroll wheel, one that would sense the movement of your fingers, of course you wouldn't feel a reassuring click, but if would definetly look awesome.

Centris 650
Mar 6, 2003, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by phampton81
Also what I think would be awesome is if they found a way to make a virtual right click and scroll wheel, one that would sense the movement of your fingers, of course you wouldn't feel a reassuring click, but if would definetly look awesome.

Wow. Neat idea.

I'm looking forward to a BT mouse and keyboard. I think it would be really neat to have BT standard keyboard and mouse with every mac. This is the only reason I'm thinking about getting BT installed in my next Mac.

rideahyperLite
Mar 6, 2003, 10:46 PM
i thought bt mice wouldnt need bateries.. maybe im just dumb tho

MaxArturo
Mar 7, 2003, 01:01 AM
Ketboards you say?

Mal
Mar 7, 2003, 01:10 AM
The combo cord probably is not one cord with two plugs on each end. It probably is a specialty cord that connects to a product that has both FireWire and USB out on it for other devices. The question now is, what kinda device is that? None of their current products have anything like that, but maybe they're looking at putting a small FireWire hub into the keyboards (although that wouldn't make sense with BT keyboards). Whatever this is, it can only point to something big coming from Apple before long.

JW

janey
Mar 7, 2003, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by pyrotoaster
He mentions in the article that the supplier is making the board in two colors. My two guesses: Black and White.
or perhaps graphite ;) apple loves black, white and every color inbetween :p

PyroTurtle
Mar 7, 2003, 01:53 AM
firewire at one end usb 2.0 on the other...might "solve" the lack of USB 2.0 in macs right now.....that was my first impression....

janey
Mar 7, 2003, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by PyroTurtle
firewire at one end usb 2.0 on the other...might "solve" the lack of USB 2.0 in macs right now.....that was my first impression....
was USB 2.0 ever on Macs? firewire seems so much better than USB :p

hobie
Mar 7, 2003, 03:29 AM
...Bluetooth mice and keyboards:

Could be true indeed. In the manual of my 12"PB they stated that Bluetooth can be use to connect:
Keyboards and mices!

So I think it'll definetly happen.

iJon
Mar 7, 2003, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by Ervino
I know that MacOS X is wonderful, beautiful, etc., but I still use preferentially MacOS 9.2.2. My question is: anybony knows of a way to use Bluetooth under MacOS 9???

Cheers
Ervino
9 is dead. non one cares about 9 anymore in the developer world, and in apple's world. if you expect to use the new stuff, make the switch to x.

iJon

jacg
Mar 7, 2003, 07:55 AM
A Firewire to USB2 cable would be useful so that mac users on the move could take advantage of USB2 digital cameras (eg. the entire new range of Sony cameras - it's only a matter of time until others follow).

Firewire and USB2 are different beasts and it annoys me that Apple haven't incorporated USB2 alongside FW.

Timothy
Mar 7, 2003, 11:35 AM
What would necessitate a cable with 1 in and 2 outs? My guess is that a small device, that doesn't want to take the room for two ports.

So, this could lend more credence to rumors of a upcoming portable device from Apple.

Ervino
Mar 7, 2003, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by iJon
9 is dead. non one cares about 9 anymore in the developer world, and in apple's world. if you expect to use the new stuff, make the switch to x.

iJon

Tanks for your "useful" opinion. Even the Newton is dead for Apple, but thousands still use it and many develop for it. For the 9 is the same, even if you don't like it.

I asked for an info, not for another mindless X-zaelot rant: if you don't have asnswers to my question ignoring it is simpler and more polite, many thanks.

Cheers
Ervino

MetallicPenguin
Mar 7, 2003, 03:49 PM
Hey I think I bet I know what they're doing with the cables, maybe they're making a USB version of the iPod for PC's but you only have to buy one cable. that would also explain the rumors of new iPods

rideahyperLite
Mar 7, 2003, 05:45 PM
maybe.. but that might hold back people who buy a pc one and then eventually want to switch to a mac camputer.. i know it would for me

daveg5
Mar 7, 2003, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by PyroTurtle

I think this is Apples way of making sure there will be no usb 2.0 ports on future macs and no need for them since if this cable will allow you to hook up an ipod for example to a usb 2.0 port, you have just doubled its potential audience as far as windows users are concerned.
On macs we can finally use scanners and cameras and printers with the faster usb connectors. And since this are possibly converters/cables and made by a 3rd party Apple does not have to pay intel a licensing for usb 2.0 ports.
I am probably wrong but i think this may be firewire to usb 2.0 cables.
for $20 I and many upgrade challanged mac users would buy one along with windows users with no firewire port that dont want to upgrade there usb 2.0 machines with add on cards.

daveg5
Mar 7, 2003, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by iJon

iJon
Ouch that hurt.
I am suprised at how dispised us dual OS9/OSX users are becoming.
This time next year I hope to have an 970 powermac and if no hack for OS9 is available I will keep this Old BW g3 upgraded to G4 for my OS9 apps.

Really for me and many others OS9 and OSX work great together. I trouble shoot OSX with OS9, delete undeleteables, defag, optimze, disk repair and add device plugins for my combo drive. Not to mention my many games and Bargin basement priced software.
Many are excellent ,bug free, and run in classic, although I prefer OS9 for OS9 apps, it just feels right and keeps both OS seperate, on seperate hard drive.

There are very good ed, util, entertainment software avail at under $5, less then shareware for OSX and works good.
But mainly I use it for most of my audiowork and extensive collection of vst plugs. I did however recently pick up cubase for OSX and am learning that now, later logic7 and dp4 when that becomes available.

Since upgrading to 9.2.2 and getting new memory I now do the impossible go as much as a few weeks with out a hard(restart) freeze in OS9 and I use 3 apps to give it the OSX look www.aquamakeover.com, Dont use adock or powerwindows those 2 cause me crashes.

I must admit I use OSX 10.2.4 more and more it is much better/faster then 10.1 which I loath on my ancient machine and safari is great. So my time is spent about 50/50 to both and yes OSX crashes ocassionally.

If you are fine with only OSX then more power 2U.

If you are fine with both like me more power 2US. (current finances and penny pinching and music apps kepp me here)

But please dont call it dead . Apple just relesed LOgic6 for, you got it OS9, then theres Appleworks and all Adobe stuff. I actually used imovie in 9 because the imovie3 "was so slow" and encoding seems so much faster on "older machines" its always good to have a choice. But I will embrace OSX only booting on the 970 if there is no alternative next year, some later, and some sooner like you. To each thier own time.

But we are Mac users too, right?, OS9 is still available for sale, there is still a lot of high quality and low priced software available for it ( especially music/graphic/games/educational/freeware apps) from the last 10 years and I think all Mac users 6-7-8-9-10 still deserve a little more respect then that.

Long live OS9
Long live OSX
Long Live Mac Users

MetallicPenguin
Mar 8, 2003, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by rideahyperLite
maybe.. but that might hold back people who buy a pc one and then eventually want to switch to a mac camputer...

yeah good pointbut I'm still thinking about some sort of device that could use both like a camera or something maybe

MetallicPenguin
Mar 8, 2003, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by daveg5
...from the last 10 years and I think all Mac users 6-7-8-9-10 still deserve a little more respect then that.

Long live OS9
Long live OSX
Long Live Mac Users

yeah guys think about it, if there wasn't an os 9 then they're probably wouldn't be an os x.

ps. I bought the mac because of osx and the shiny apple;)

AhmedFaisal
Mar 8, 2003, 11:45 AM
I really wish that Apple would finally support PCMCIA Bluetooth Adapters and not just the dumb USB Dongles. What does my Powerbook have a PCMCIA Port for if not for one of those cool 3com Bluetooth Adapters with retractable XJack Antennas....

Ahmed

dstorey
Mar 8, 2003, 12:41 PM
Now this is what i'd like to see in a bluetooth mouse/keyboard. probably wont be technically possible, but based on Apple patents I can but dream.

Mouse:

looks exactly like the white pro mouse but wireless. Beam on bottom shines blue (not important but would lok cool), scroll sensor in the thumb position (a la the iPod wheel technololgy, possibly on each side so us lefties can use it). I think this is a much more natural position than a scroll wheel in the centre like ms intellipoint mice. Sensor acts as a third button (centre one on unix mice) if you tap on it. Just like the pro mouse, the whole top will tilt down when pressed, but if you click down with your index finger (left side of the mouse) it will sense this and do a left click, while if you press down where your middle finger is (right side of mouse) it will do a right click. This could be done with some kind of pressure sensor? or maybe by which side of the mouse touches down first. Area where you press use dynamic ornimental apearence (see my desc of keys). Batteries on their own are a no no, so mouse uses battery backup with some kind of solar panel, or a form of kenetic where when you move the mouse it gains power (and you can just shake it if its running low ;-))

Keyboard:

Looks like the pro keyboard, except the keys are all plain, without letters etc. Your probs thinking what the hell, is he mad round about now. It will use the nifty powerbook auto detecting lightlevel technology that makes it glow blue in the dark, and the same power facilities as the mouse mentioned. In the side will be a little slot for loding a stylus for inkwell (lightweight in white plastic or aluminium, with top acting as an eraser and tip presure sensitive). Now heres the intresting part. Each key uses Dynamic Ornamental Apearence. It then detects the language setting in OS X and displays the correct keyboard mappings for the country on the keys (no need for a seperate keyboard for switzerland for example). When a key modifier is pressed they keys change to what the key press would do (so after pressing caps lock all the keys would go capital ETC). This would make it easy to find special characters on the keyboard such as umlaut etc. System wide shortcuts could also be displayed if you tick a box in software and seperate apps could control it so for example the keyboard would look like the special one you can buy for pro tools when that program is running and in focus. As well as text the buttons could be coloured (as in the pro tools keyboard eg) or icons (so the cut shortcut could display on whatever key as scissors). This would also work on the mouse so when you hover over a link or an icon, the left and right of the mouse woulld show an icon or tooltip on what action would be performed if you clicked each button. The keyboard could also show icons across the top in certain situations too like a mail icon comes on when you get mail and an icon for power level and bluetooth signal.

These are just my ideas on what i think would be cool, usefull and different. I dunno if they would work of be cost prohibative. what do you guys think. I think its better than an imac displaying changing wallpaper on its skin anyway. Now if only i worked for apple or could send them my ideas.....

RandomDeadHead
Mar 9, 2003, 05:29 AM
Ervino,

Dont mind him, I think he is young and does not respect nor understand the elder OS.

Rember without the "dead OS" their would be NO OS X, so show a little respect will ya.

StuPid QPid
Mar 9, 2003, 09:58 AM
I was thinking the same a dstorey above. Why couldn't a BT mouse use kinetic energy for power, as in many watches. Another alternative would be clockwork. Don't laugh; clockwork is now amazingly advanced. Just a quick wind, and the mouse could be powered for ages, with no need for batteries (at least exchangable. I guess you may need built in energy storage of some sort). Solar power may also possible, but not much use if you live in northern Canada in winter ;)

dstorey
Mar 9, 2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by StuPid QPid
I Solar power may also possible, but not much use if you live in northern Canada in winter ;)

thats where switching the light on comes in useful ;-) I live in the grey dark north of england and my calculator workes with the aid of artificial light. it should be able to store enough energy while in daylight and artificial light to work when the user is using the computer in the dark. The only yhink i see thats a problem is traditional solar panels are ugly, but i think there is a lot of research into them at the moment. They have developed a type they can use to clad buildings that looks like denim and i think it is flexable so it can bend round say the surface of a mouse. Then again we dont really want a denim mouse either but maybe they can do it in different colours.

Ervino
Mar 9, 2003, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by RandomDeadHead
Ervino,

Dont mind him, I think he is young and does not respect nor understand the elder OS.

Rember without the "dead OS" their would be NO OS X, so show a little respect will ya.

Thanks for your moral support... :)

Now, if nobody has any hint of someone developing a way to use BT technology with 9, I sadly go back to use my old dear stick&stones GUI... :D

boobers
Mar 9, 2003, 12:13 PM
am i going to be able to sit on my couch and surf? I like to use the system zoom. :cool: :D

scem0
Mar 10, 2003, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by MorganX

Amen to that. 2 buttons and a scroll wheel which also acts as
a third button is a must for me.

Gus
Mar 11, 2003, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by RandomDeadHead
Ervino,

Let's all just go back to system 6. I've still got a few MacPluses laying around that work. There's a ton of free software for them too. Heck, the whole system fits on a 800k floppy disk. Oh yeah, that's right, we're bringing back the floppy drive! WooHoo!

iJon's point was that Apple is incorporating thesenew technologies into its NEW operating system. I totally understand that you may be stuck in OS 9 apps, heck I need it for Finale to function properly, but his sentiment was that if you want to use new technology, then you need to use the new operating system that is actually being developed for.

Good luck to all!

Regards,
Gus

ntg
Mar 11, 2003, 08:20 AM
As far as I know, you could sit in the garden and surf - Bluetooth has a working range of 9-10 metres!:rolleyes:
nig.

bennetsaysargh
Mar 15, 2003, 11:59 PM
for a bluetooth keyboard and moouse, it would be very easy to make the blutooth into it, it's just the battery that might be a problem. if they could find a way to send the energy to the mouse to send it back to comp with less energy that would be cool. or there could also be a stand for the two of them.