Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jaykay

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2002
Ireland
Hmmmm

Yeah i lie the idea of a BT mouse and keyboard but im always gonna be annoyed by the fact that they need batteries. I hope apple do their usual innovative thing and make a keyboard and mouse that will make me go "I want one, I want one NOW" (Like quite a few other apple stuff has in the past...

jholzner, nice sig.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
Combo is a poor term. It makes me think 1 end, 2 uses and the geometry just doesn’t work- unlike combination a XLR and a 1/4" jack :cool:. I think that they/you mean a cable that terminates in two separate ends. I have some issues, what kind of terminations at the end, A,B,m,f, mini, normal, side by side, or separate. Luckily, they are all so different. No mistakes as to how to plug it in. I agree with Macwhisper’s commentary. The cable makes little sense and I couldn’t figure out how it would fit into Apple's product lines. Perhaps a dongle for a new portable product? :)

The rumor also never states that Apple ordered the cables, just that an OEM that produces products for Apple is creating a product. There is to little information to make the report useful. I just need more before I get excited or wishful.

If it does pan out, Macwhispers will again have the best scoop on secret information.

My wireless mouse sucks down batteries, but my keyboard doesn’t. Wireless is cool, but not a necessity.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
I might actually have a use for bluetooth now..... this would definatley be a cool feature if the implement it well but the whole batterry thing bothers me, I mean look at the iPod thing.

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
A wireless keyboard will eventually arrive, but soon is good. ;)

He mentions in the article that the supplier is making the board in two colors. My two guesses: Black and White.

Ervino

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2000
Trieste, Italy
I know that MacOS X is wonderful, beautiful, etc., but I still use preferentially MacOS 9.2.2. My question is: anybony knows of a way to use Bluetooth under MacOS 9???

Cheers
Ervino

cc bcc

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2001
nl
I hope the usb/firewire cable is for some front ports on the powermac. That would be nice!

SonicSamurai

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2003
Probibly true. But if they did come out with it today, it would still be two months too late. Not unless they pull of something deceifully tricky and FINALLY realease a BlueTooth update that lets the new macs with BT installed take advantage of it with peripherals.

As for battery life.... when will people realize that solar cells + rechargable batteries= better wireless experience ? You could charge the keyboard yourself off of a USB or Firewire port , but that wouldn't happen so often that people get pissed, because the cells serve to extend the life of the batteries. Duh!

phampton81

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
After looking at my beautiful apple pro mouse I began thinking how cool it would be if it were wireless. If apple made it so that you could just plug it in to recharge it with the cord in the normal 'wired' state, then it would be a seamless transition from wired to wireless. Also what I think would be awesome is if they found a way to make a virtual right click and scroll wheel, one that would sense the movement of your fingers, of course you wouldn't feel a reassuring click, but if would definetly look awesome.

Centris 650

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2002
Near Charleston, SC
Originally posted by phampton81
Also what I think would be awesome is if they found a way to make a virtual right click and scroll wheel, one that would sense the movement of your fingers, of course you wouldn't feel a reassuring click, but if would definetly look awesome.

Wow. Neat idea.

I'm looking forward to a BT mouse and keyboard. I think it would be really neat to have BT standard keyboard and mouse with every mac. This is the only reason I'm thinking about getting BT installed in my next Mac.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
The combo cord probably is not one cord with two plugs on each end. It probably is a specialty cord that connects to a product that has both FireWire and USB out on it for other devices. The question now is, what kinda device is that? None of their current products have anything like that, but maybe they're looking at putting a small FireWire hub into the keyboards (although that wouldn't make sense with BT keyboards). Whatever this is, it can only point to something big coming from Apple before long.

JW

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Originally posted by pyrotoaster
He mentions in the article that the supplier is making the board in two colors. My two guesses: Black and White.
or perhaps graphite ;) apple loves black, white and every color inbetween :p

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Originally posted by PyroTurtle
firewire at one end usb 2.0 on the other...might "solve" the lack of USB 2.0 in macs right now.....that was my first impression....
was USB 2.0 ever on Macs? firewire seems so much better than USB :p

hobie

macrumors member
May 27, 2002
far, far away
...Bluetooth mice and keyboards:

Could be true indeed. In the manual of my 12"PB they stated that Bluetooth can be use to connect:
Keyboards and mices!

So I think it'll definetly happen.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by Ervino
I know that MacOS X is wonderful, beautiful, etc., but I still use preferentially MacOS 9.2.2. My question is: anybony knows of a way to use Bluetooth under MacOS 9???

Cheers
Ervino
9 is dead. non one cares about 9 anymore in the developer world, and in apple's world. if you expect to use the new stuff, make the switch to x.

iJon

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
Let us have USB 2

A Firewire to USB2 cable would be useful so that mac users on the move could take advantage of USB2 digital cameras (eg. the entire new range of Sony cameras - it's only a matter of time until others follow).

Firewire and USB2 are different beasts and it annoys me that Apple haven't incorporated USB2 alongside FW.

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002
Think small...

What would necessitate a cable with 1 in and 2 outs? My guess is that a small device, that doesn't want to take the room for two ports.

So, this could lend more credence to rumors of a upcoming portable device from Apple.

Ervino

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2000
Trieste, Italy
Originally posted by iJon
9 is dead. non one cares about 9 anymore in the developer world, and in apple's world. if you expect to use the new stuff, make the switch to x.

iJon

Tanks for your "useful" opinion. Even the Newton is dead for Apple, but thousands still use it and many develop for it. For the 9 is the same, even if you don't like it.

I asked for an info, not for another mindless X-zaelot rant: if you don't have asnswers to my question ignoring it is simpler and more polite, many thanks.

Cheers
Ervino

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.