PDA

View Full Version : IMac G5 woes

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 14, 2006, 12:10 PM
Some may remember about 4 weeks ago I had a constant rebooting problem with my iMac G5 (rev b IIRC, it was the G5 just before the adding of the iSight). After some frustration of two visits to drop the iMac off for repair (stupid me for expecting that showing up before the doors opened would allow me not to wait till 8PM for the first Genus appointment for that day. :eek: ).

So after my second visit a day later, the next day my iMac was repaired. They replaced the power supply. All was well till this week when the same problem showed up again. :eek: Now they are replacing the logic board.

I am concerned, despite assurances, that there could be no problems with the second power supply. Is this possible, or could I be facing yet a third visit weeks down the road?

DevilsRejection
Jul 14, 2006, 12:18 PM
I would demand a replacement unit

Eidorian
Jul 14, 2006, 12:20 PM
If it happens again demand a replacement.

dcv
Jul 14, 2006, 12:25 PM
Sounds very familiar. My Rev B iMac is also currently broken. It's had its PSU replaced before and now the logic board has gone - it won't power up. I haven't had a chance to back mine up and take it in for repair yet but must do so asap.

Hope they get yours working soon! Believe me, I know how frustrating this is and the 20" is heavy to lug around. What makes things more annoying is that mine is wall-mounted so taking it in for repair means having to detach the VESA plate and reattach the normal desk stand every time... :rolleyes:

4God
Jul 14, 2006, 12:39 PM

Ditto. I wouldn't keep messing with same unit, not worth the headache.

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 14, 2006, 12:45 PM
Sounds very familiar. My Rev B iMac is also currently broken. It's had its PSU replaced before and now the logic board has gone - it won't power up. I haven't had a chance to back mine up and take it in for repair yet but must do so asap.

I share your pain. Add to that I was given a 9:15AM appointment (which was fine by me), yet Tyson Corner Mall does not open up the main parking lots till like 9:30 or 10:00AM. So I had to park in a loading zone that had a 30 minute limit (heck, I am an older guy with a bad knee - refuse to apply for handicap plates, my knee is not that bad; but bad enough that I don't want extra stairs or a longer walk with the likes of the 20" iMac under my arm).

What ticks me off is that I have AppleCare. Yet to make the most of my limited "free time" - I work retail - I am being told that I need the ProCare Plan. :eek: Otherwise I have play the waiting game for a G Bar appointment that may just be a pain.

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 14, 2006, 12:47 PM

I would like to think that if it were to happen a third time, I would have a basis on a replacement unit. Not something that I would really want though.

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 16, 2006, 08:30 PM
Well I got my iMac G5 back today, and guess what the same problem after a motherboard replacement. :eek: :mad:

So now I have a new CPU and motherboard, and no solution as of yet.

iGary
Jul 16, 2006, 08:34 PM
Time to craft a well-written letter to exectutive relations, documenting everything from the start.

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 16, 2006, 08:40 PM
Time to craft a well-written letter to exectutive relations, documenting everything from the start.

Thanks for the support. I am thinking one more try at a repair, before going that route. Figure that three times and their are out would work nicely.

trainguy77
Jul 16, 2006, 08:54 PM
They may have been correct when they figured out there was a dead power supply. But what they may have failed to deal with is the power supply may have been undervolting the equipment for awhile. Which means most of the hardware is damaged and will fail in the future which would explain why the logic-board went. Good luck. But if there is one more problem try get a replacement.

Counterfit
Jul 16, 2006, 09:02 PM
I think most lemon laws specify three repair attempts for the same problem, but I think they also specify a time frame from purchase. Of course, Apple usually replaces units if they go in a 3rd or 4th time for the same issue, so hopefully it'll get resolved either way.

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 16, 2006, 09:13 PM
I think most lemon laws specify three repair attempts for the same problem, but I think they also specify a time frame from purchase. Of course, Apple usually replaces units if they go in a 3rd or 4th time for the same issue, so hopefully it'll get resolved either way.

Well my iMac is just one year old. :eek: And this third repair attempt (when I bring in tomorrow) in the last 30 days.

ironic23
Jul 16, 2006, 09:17 PM
Did you buy the system online? I usually buy my macs through this specific person through the phone and she gives me the most awesome service. If there's a problem she tries to get me a replacement unit for me without too much explanations. Especially if you buy Apple Care protection, she will treat you with the utmost urgency. But yeah, bug them for a replacement unit.

steamboat26
Jul 16, 2006, 09:48 PM
Were iMac G5s rushed into development, or what? i have heard of a lemon, but it sounds like EVERYTHING is messed up on this guys computer. No wonder they weren't using G5s that long...

trainguy77
Jul 16, 2006, 09:59 PM
No wonder they weren't using G5s that long...
They started using them in June, 2003. They have been using them for awhile.

steamboat26
Jul 16, 2006, 10:15 PM
They started using them in June, 2003. They have been using them for awhile.

my mistake, i never used a G5 :D

Jovian9
Jul 16, 2006, 10:19 PM
Apple Customer Relations have replaced 2 of my Macs before;
17" PB G4 Alu and a 17" iMac G5 RevA

I have been told both times that after 3 "major" repairs I could get a new replacement. Logic board, power supply, screen, hard drive were all considered major repairs while optical drive is not or was not when my machines were repaired.
If it happens again call Customer Relations and request a new machine.

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 17, 2006, 04:35 AM
Thanks for all the support gang.

Surprises of surprises, I was able to snag a 9:15AM appointment this morning.

dcv
Jul 17, 2006, 04:44 AM
Ugh, sorry to hear it's still not fixed. :mad: Hope they can do something with it today.

As for my lemon, I managed to swap the hard disk out and back it up yesterday. Was planning on lugging it in to work with me one day this week and then taking it on the tube to the store at lunchtime, but given that it's supposed to be 35C in London this week, I don't fancy that idea much. The stupid shop isn't open outside of my working hours :rolleyes:

Let us know how it goes today... *fingers crossed*

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 17, 2006, 09:46 AM
Got at the Apple Store at 9:00AM. The Genius was late, so one of the managers took care of me after handling the 9AM appointment.

Kindness goes along way I guess. I was firm, but tried to be jovial over the trials and tribulations of the 'constantly rebooting iMac". I asked for the date of my first repair. It could not be found. :eek: I mentioned that I wanted that info in case I had to go to Cuptino if this third repair didn't fix the issue.

The manager I was working with, said not to worry. Because I was so nice about everything, she would personally see to it that I got a replacement if I had problems after this third attempt. Regardless of the missing repair record. :)

Eidorian
Jul 17, 2006, 09:48 AM
Got at the Apple Store at 9:00AM. The Genius was late, so one of the managers took care of me after handling the 9AM appointment.

Kindness goes along way I guess. I was firm, but tried to be jovial over the trials and tribulations of the 'constantly rebooting iMac". I asked for the date of my first repair. It could not be found. :eek: I mentioned that I wanted that info in case I had to go to Cuptino if this third repair didn't fix the issue.

The manager I was working with, said not to worry. Because I was so nice about everything, she would personally see to it that I got a replacement if I had problems after this third attempt. Regardless of the missing repair record. :)You didn't get a case number? I got a print out with my iPod Shuffle repair as proof it happened. I always make sure to get a support ticket number. It proves my support happened.

dcv
Jul 17, 2006, 09:50 AM
The manager I was working with, said not to worry. Because I was so nice about everything, she would personally see to it that I got a replacement if I had problems after this third attempt. Regardless of the missing repair record. :)

Well that's good news then :)

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 17, 2006, 09:58 AM
You didn't get a case number? I got a print out with my iPod Shuffle repair as proof it happened. I always make sure to get a support ticket number. It proves my support happened.

I have that paperwork buried here somewhere. :eek: I know better now on keeping repair records.

BTW, another manager, that is a customer of mine, caught up with as I was leaving. We chatted about what was going on with my iMac. He tossed out that it could be my HDD. :eek: They will try to boot off an external HDD and see if the problem replicates itself. I am now hoping that 10.4.6 and 10.4.7 and my software is not the issue.

A side question, if the iMac needs to be replaced - what will they replace it with? Will they make me wait till another iMac G5 20" comes available as a refurb, or will it be a new Intel iMac?

Eidorian
Jul 17, 2006, 09:59 AM
A side question, if the iMac needs to be replaced - what will they replace it with? Will they make me wait till another iMac G5 20" comes available as a refurb, or will it be a new Intel iMac?There's a slim chance of an Intel iMac. I know someone that had their iBook replace with the low end MacBook.

dcv
Jul 17, 2006, 10:07 AM
BTW, another manager, that is a customer of mine, caught up with as I was leaving. We chatted about what was going on with my iMac. He tossed out that it could be my HDD. They will try to boot off an external HDD and see if the problem replicates itself. I am now hoping that 10.4.6 and 10.4.7 and my software is not the issue.

So yours still powers on then? Mine started randomly shutting down a few months ago, but then continued working normally for a while. Then one day it just stopped and wouldn't power on at all. I opened it up to run the diagnostics - with mine, the first diagnostic LED lights up but the second one doesn't, which indicates it's probably a logic board failure, nothing to do with the hard disk.

Well good luck anyway, hope they can either fix it properly this time or replace it with a new model.

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 17, 2006, 10:32 AM
So yours still powers on then? Mine started randomly shutting down a few months ago, but then continued working normally for a while. Then one day it just stopped and wouldn't power on at all. I opened it up to run the diagnostics - with mine, the first diagnostic LED lights up but the second one doesn't, which indicates it's probably a logic board failure, nothing to do with the hard disk.

Well good luck anyway, hope they can either fix it properly this time or replace it with a new model.

Thanks for the wish of luck.

About a month ago, I noticed that my iMac restarted in my absence (my browser window would be missing). Figured power outages. So got a UPS. Still happened, but then when I was in front of the iMac. And over night it started to constantly reboot. That is for the first repair, with the replacement of the power supply.

Then yesterday I picked up my iMac at 11AM. By 1:30PM the rebooting started again. I called the Apple Store Tysons about being able to bring the iMac back yesterday, but there were no appointments left for yesterday.

They did try to schedule an appointment for today using their own ProCare plan number, but there was a problem in entering it. I was told to schedule an appoint early this morning. Luck for me at 5:30AM I was able to secure a 9:15AM appointment.

This morning at 6AM I started up my iMac, it ran for about 20 minutes before rebooting - and then staying up for another 15 minutes. I then powered off the iMac, then tried to restart it. This time it would not reboot, just the fan went into high-speed mode. :eek:

QCassidy352
Jul 17, 2006, 11:23 AM
oh wow, this sounds horrific! My ibook G4 had to be repaired 3 times, and it got increasingly frustrating. I hope they can finally make it right this time. It's good that you now have a manager saying that she will help you get a replacement if this repair doesn't do it. Do keep us posted, and best of luck with it!

alexeismertin
Jul 17, 2006, 12:01 PM
I feel the pain

Brief overview of my iMac G5 issues

1. Purchased Rev A Oct 2004
2. March 2005 - Video issues, shutdowns, DVD rom not mounting discs & a white band (1cm wide) running halfway across the screen.
3. March - May 2005 - Reported problems over and over again (20+ phone calls, emails & letter to someone I was told was head of Apple based in Ireland)
4. Continuing wrangle between 2005 and May 2006 (offered 500 mile round trip to drop machaine off at service centre - unacceptable!)
5. June 10th 2006 - Finally Apple organised a local (non apple) shop to take the machine in for repair. The machine came back with logic board relaced but screen not fixed & DVD problems (even though i was told the drive had been replaced). Also came back with Airport problem that wasn't there when machine went in.
5. July 2006 Machine picked up by Amsys for second repair, received telephone call saying they will replace DVD drive, Airport card & screen.
ETA is this friday!!

I have been with Apple for 5 years & have bought plenty of hardware & software (2 displays, 2 ipod 7 computers 2 OSX's) but this seems to be ignored when dealing with Apple. I have had to make so many phone calls and spoken to many many people but I really get the impression that as soon as you say imac g5 nobody cares.

This is making me quite sick.

joebells
Jul 17, 2006, 01:38 PM
my girlfriends imac g5 revision b also seems to randomly shut itself off usually when no one is using it. She got it fixed a little over a month ago(logic board replacement) and it just started doing it again recently but not very often( at least not yet). The thing that sucks is our local shop took 3 weeks to fix it the first time. Seems like even if it gets fixed it'll probably break again. Hopefully they will offer her a new iMac if it does break again as she really needs it as she's doing freelance photography and school is coming up again(graphic design).

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 17, 2006, 02:16 PM
I feel the pain

Brief overview of my iMac G5 issues
<snip>

I have been with Apple for 5 years & have bought plenty of hardware & software (2 displays, 2 ipod 7 computers 2 OSX's) but this seems to be ignored when dealing with Apple. I have had to make so many phone calls and spoken to many many people but I really get the impression that as soon as you say imac g5 nobody cares.

This is making me quite sick.

Wow! "But for the Grace of God, go I".

Outside of the Genius Bar appointment thing for repairs, my first repair took two trips - and those iMac 20" units are not light in weight in a Mall Parking lot! - lucky another manager took pity on me and "scheduled" a special appointment for 7PM the next day (this was the best for me since I worked till 6pm). The staff was great, since the manager (or the system) did not place me in the queue for 7PM. :eek:

The 4+ hours (spent perhaps 5 hours trouble shooting things on my own end) that I have spent so far, pale in comparison to your time. Best of luck to you! :) You deserve it.

my girlfriends imac g5 revision b also seems to randomly shut itself off usually when no one is using it. She got it fixed a little over a month ago(logic board replacement) and it just started doing it again recently but not very often( at least not yet). The thing that sucks is our local shop took 3 weeks to fix it the first time. Seems like even if it gets fixed it'll probably break again. Hopefully they will offer her a new iMac if it does break again as she really needs it as she's doing freelance photography and school is coming up again(graphic design).

Sounds like the same issue I have. Based on my experience, I would not wait till it becomes commonplace. What has saved me perhaps was the fact that I added an UPS unit when I observed the problem. When I did bring the iMac in the first time, I was questioned about brownouts. It was nice to say that I had an UPS, and that my PB (with and without battery) did not suffer a similar fate.

atari1356
Jul 17, 2006, 02:47 PM
I had a similar problem a few months ago, and Apple had to repair my computer 3 times before getting it right. During that time I learned that:

- there is a common problem with power supplies in iMac G5 computers (mine blew up and fried the logic board). One of the service technicians told me that Apple had an extended repair program in place for this problem.

- there are two different power supplies used in the iMac G5's. The new ones are supposed to be problem free - but for some reason the first time they replaced my power supply, they put in one of the old ones. The new one had a different part number (but unfortunately I can't recall what it was).

- quality control on parts Apple ships out to repair shops is pretty poor (based only on the fact that the first logic board they sent to fix my computer overheated easily, and the second logic board was dead on arrival)

Everyone I spoke to at Apple and the repair people were nice though... I just documented all of the problems I was having and kept at it, and eventually they got my computer back in working order.

Good luck in getting your computer fixed ChipNovaMac, I know it's frustrating. :o

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 17, 2006, 04:24 PM
Good luck in getting your computer fixed ChipNovaMac, I know it's frustrating. :o

I am trying to keep good humor in potential QC problems. :) If the comments I see on the web are any indication, then Apple is seeing issues with machines purchased 10 to 12 months ago.

dcv
Jul 17, 2006, 04:37 PM
I am trying to keep good humor in potential QC problems. :) If the comments I see on the web are any indication, then Apple is seeing issues with machines purchased 10 to 12 months ago.

*Nods in agreement* - mine is just under 12 months old. I bought it as a refurb though so still have a few months left on the warranty.

my first repair took two trips - and those iMac 20" units are not light in weight in a Mall Parking lot!

*Nods in agreement again* - but at least you have a car! I don't. I had to carry that stupid box down the street to a bus stop. The plastic handle on the box cuts into your hand... aaargh, and I'm gonna have to take it in for its second repair very soon. Right now I'm trying to reattach the desktop stand as mine has been wall-mounted. However I've managed to strip two of the screw heads so can't get part of the mounting thingy off. :mad:

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 17, 2006, 05:06 PM
*Nods in agreement again* - but at least you have a car! I don't. I had to carry that stupid box down the street to a bus stop. The plastic handle on the box cuts into your hand... aaargh, and I'm gonna have to take it in for its second repair very soon. Right now I'm trying to reattach the desktop stand as mine has been wall-mounted. However I've managed to strip two of the screw heads so can't get part of the mounting thingy off. :mad:

I only have a car here in the US, because it is "required'. Keep in mind that the 5 miles to the Apple Store requires about 30 minutes via a car.

I would own a micro cart if I lived in London...

puckhead193
Jul 17, 2006, 08:40 PM
hope you get your computer fixed soon.

There's a slim chance of an Intel iMac. I know someone that had their iBook replace with the low end MacBook.
if you *wanted* to can you split the difference and costomize it? I would be so mad if i brought my PB in for repairs and in return they gave me a low end MP.....i went to top of the line to bottom of the line

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 19, 2006, 09:41 PM
Got a call from the Apple Store near their closing time last night. They say they pinpointed the problem to the power supply. Evidently they have two different part numbers. The older one that was in the machine originally and a replacement part number.

They ran the new replacement all day, and no issues. Only 4+ weeks will tell. Because of work and parking hassles at the Tysons Mall, I will have to wait till Friday morning to bring my iMac home.

devilot
Jul 19, 2006, 10:04 PM
*fingers crossed* Hope it works as it should now... (I still don't get why you can't just pick it up in person before Friday though, seems a bit silly to me.)

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 19, 2006, 10:59 PM
*fingers crossed* Hope it works as it should now... (I still don't get why you can't just pick it up in person before Friday though, seems a bit silly to me.)

Thanks.

I worked till 7PM today, and did not want to walk the parking lot with the iMac under my arm. Too old (:D ) and too hot to deal with a parking garage - along with that I have a bad knee, but am too proud to ask my doctor for a handicap plate. Was told by one doctor that he could get me the Handicap plates/tags. My knee comes and goes. Under normal situations I will walk whatever distance needed. Not when I am trying to carry an iMac 20".

Tomorrow I work a 11AM to 9PM shift, and we just don't have the space due to other merchandise coming and going for me to safely take my iMac into work for the day.

On Friday I will be able to get to the Apple Store Tysons and park in a 30 minute loading zone (that seems to be filled with 2 hour parkers in the evening hours :eek: ) and get in and get out in a reasonable time to pick-up my iMac and get it to my apartment and get to work by 12N on Friday, as long as I get there before 10AM.

[rantPeople in this area have no respect for rules or laws. And in the case of the Tysons Mall they are too cowardly to "tick-off" those that drive big SUV's and live in million dollar plus homes - to care about those of us that are just the working poor in the county. [/rant]

devilot
Jul 19, 2006, 11:01 PM
I worked... <snip>:o Yeah, I forget about that slight detail. Sorry, I forget that not everyone operates on student schedules. And as for not wanting to haul a 20" iMac, believe me, I feel ya. Whenever I brought mine in, I had an Apple employee roll a cart out to roll it to the store. :p No joke. (That or my boyfriend would haul it in. Hee.)

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 19, 2006, 11:18 PM
:o Yeah, I forget about that slight detail. Sorry, I forget that not everyone operates on student schedules. And as for not wanting to haul a 20" iMac, believe me, I feel ya. Whenever I brought mine in, I had an Apple employee roll a cart out to roll it to the store. :p No joke. (That or my boyfriend would haul it in. Hee.)

LOL. That is OK. Hope I did not sound to harsh. :o

At Tysons there is a "back door"; but have heard comments about waiting 15 to 30 minutes for them to answer it. Never wanted to try it out. To the close in parking spaces in the parking deck or to the "pick-up" area that has a 30 minute limit - it is a short enough walk for me. But to struggle with 2 to 3 flights of stairs and then some distance to my parking place is a bit much with an iMac in tow. I do that trek if I am going to the mall for some light shopping.

Generally I never go to Tysons unless the Apple Store is involved. And NEVER in November or December! :D I prefer smaller shops that have places in strip centers. I may pay a bit more, but the customer service is better. I bought a stereo system from a shop in the Skyline Plaza Mall here in Va. years ago. It was large enough that I could not carry it myself. The sales associate wheeled it out for me - I mentioned that I was deep in in the parking garage. No problem he said, just make it safely to where I left him standing.

To this day, when I think/know that someone might need assistance with their purchase, large or small - I always offer. And this is supported at the store i work at.

Karma at work (who ever in the hell she is). :D

devilot
Jul 19, 2006, 11:21 PM
At Tysons there is a "back door"; but have heard comments about waiting 15 to 30 minutes for them to answer it. Nah, I don't bother w/ no backdoor. I'm not a servant. ;) I just go in, tell them I'm there for the X time appt, and could they send someone to help me haul my computer in. (They can't really refuse can they? :p) Yup. So yeah, I do end up walking a bit more but it's worth it to me to not have to haul that thing. It's way too oddly shaped (and well, a bit on the heavy side) for me to carry it that far.

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 19, 2006, 11:28 PM
Nah, I don't bother w/ no backdoor. I'm not a servant. ;) I just go in, tell them I'm there for the X time appt, and could they send someone to help me haul my computer in. (They can't really refuse can they? :p) Yup. So yeah, I do end up walking a bit more but it's worth it to me to not have to haul that thing. It's way too oddly shaped (and well, a bit on the heavy side) for me to carry it that far.

What bothers me is that the Tysons location "opens up" for the Genius Bar at 9AM. But their systems don't seem to come alive till 10AM. Had this happen on Sunday when I came early for the 2nd pick-up. I was made to wait till 11AM. I was not too upset, only becuase I know how ridiculous "retail" rules can be.

So in this case I am taking up space I am sure they would like to free.

dcv
Jul 20, 2006, 02:59 AM
Well I hope this new power supply is the end of the iMac problems for you.

It's so frustrating when you find out it's a "simple" part that they had to fix... afaik they used to ship out replacement parts such as power supplies for you to fit at home yourself (with the rev As anyway). Ugh all that hassle you could have saved by not having to lug it in to the shop... :mad:

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 23, 2006, 09:32 PM
Well I hope this new power supply is the end of the iMac problems for you.

It's so frustrating when you find out it's a "simple" part that they had to fix... afaik they used to ship out replacement parts such as power supplies for you to fit at home yourself (with the rev As anyway). Ugh all that hassle you could have saved by not having to lug it in to the shop... :mad:

Well I picked up my iMac on Friday morning. So far so good. :) Only the next few months will tell.

It is frustrating that they used the original power supply part number for the first repair. And only after the third repair there was a second part number they could use. :eek:

Talking on the phone with Applecare, verses just bringing the system in to an Apple Store is a toss up IMO. In particular if they require shipping to a home address.

joebells
Jul 23, 2006, 11:56 PM
gonna take the gf's in real soon. If this doesn't fix it this second time I am going to ask for a replacemnt as this really is getting out of hand. It took 3 weeks to get it fixed last time she can't be without it for 3 more weeks and then 3 more weeks after that again.

ceruleanventure
Jul 24, 2006, 03:19 PM
I wonder is this is some common design flaw in the iMac G5 units. My iMac (isight version) has broken down FIVE times in about four months, and Apple refuses to replace the machine and insists on sending it for repairs. It's in the repair shop now lol. Be serious and forceful if you ask for a replacement. Good luck:)

alexeismertin
Jul 25, 2006, 09:24 AM
So

I received my imac back after the second repair only to find the airport has no reception (except when you are less than 1 foot away from the extreme base station) - this has not been fixed by the repair. The second problem is that one of the screws on the bottom has been screwed in soo tightly that it is impossible to remove - I have put a LOT of force trying to remove it but it won't budge.

After some heated exchange between 'Customer Relations' (haha), they are repairing for the 3rd time but won't refer to it as a 'repair' they call it 'finishing off'.

I cannot believe the this is happening - the machine is being repaired not for the original problems but the problems caused by repair 1 & 2.

The machine was picked up by amtrak about an hour ago, I was told I will get it back next week sometime.

Jovian9
Aug 2, 2006, 07:22 PM
A side question, if the iMac needs to be replaced - what will they replace it with? Will they make me wait till another iMac G5 20" comes available as a refurb, or will it be a new Intel iMac?

They would replace it with a "similarly spec'd machine". Price does not matter. My RevA iMac G5 was replaced with a RevC even though the RevA when released cost more than the RevC (both 17"). They will also give you the option to upgrade to a 20" if you have the 17" or more RAM, Hard Drive space, etc.....as well as replacing your existing AppleCare Warranty with a new 3 year warranty for a price.

ceruleanventure
Aug 2, 2006, 07:35 PM
I just returned my iMac today via Fedex, Apple had to see the four certified repairs (that failed) on their database before they sent me a new one. I had the 17 inch isight version so they gave me the same spec machine (except the one they're sending my is Intel not ppc) Hope that helps! (Keep bugging Apple, it took us four calls until they decided to give us a new one) Good Luck :)

dcv
Aug 3, 2006, 03:23 AM
I *still* haven't found time to take my iMac in for repair as the stupid shop is only open while I'm at work in a different part of town. It's been broken for a good few weeks now. Keep forgetting about this, even though there's a bloody great big iMac box in my hallway that I obviously pass a couple of times a day!! Must sort this out SOON...