Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orijinal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2005

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
You should just be able to buy the plug adapter set from magellans. Just use the plug that hooks directly into the 'box' on your power supply, instead of the long cord that hooks in.

The box supports up to 240v, and all the travel set does is provide different little plugs for the box. The long cord doesn't officially support 240v, so to be safe I wouldn't use it.

orijinal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2005
OutThere said:
You should just be able to buy the plug adapter set from magellans. Just use the plug that hooks directly into the 'box' on your power supply, instead of the long cord that hooks in.

The box supports up to 240v, and all the travel set does is provide different little plugs for the box. The long cord doesn't officially support 240v, so to be safe I wouldn't use it.

well, the plug that hooks directly into the 'box' has a label of "125V," in fact the long chord has this label on it as well. is that a problem?

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
orijinal said:
well, the plug that hooks directly into the 'box' has a label of "125V," in fact the long chord has this label on it as well. is that a problem?
It shouldn't be a problem but if you want to put your mind at rest, buy a standard figure-of-8 cable when you arrive in Europe. Every hardware shop will have them for about €1.50.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
I am living in the UK at the moment with my American iBook.

Ok, you just need the power adapters from Magellan. I've been to Europe and back 2 times and so I can guarantee you that you just need the adapter.

For anything else you are bringing, you'll need a power converter (a transformer) to use your items without harm.

Personally, the Apple travel kit thing is a total rip off.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
My iBook is Canadian (110V) and I've been using the long extension cord with a plug adapter on the end for over a year now here in Australia (240V) with no problems whatsoever.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Chundles said:
My iBook is Canadian (110V) and I've been using the long extension cord with a plug adapter on the end for over a year now here in Australia (240V) with no problems whatsoever.
How long is long? You're not charging it from Canada are you? :eek:

runplaysleeprun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2004
Chicago, IL
I used a very cheap wall adapter in Ireland to plug in my US powerbook adapter, and it made funny noises at the wall, and my powerbook had a very odd "static-y" feeling about it, where i could almost feel electricity flowing over the case. There was no permanent damage, it just left me a bit terrified.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
dynamicv said:
How long is long? You're not charging it from Canada are you? :eek:

Yeah, you may not know this but all of Australia is powered from one long extension cord plugged in under someone's desk in a small two-story house just outside of Tofino, BC

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Chundles said:
Yeah, you may not know this but all of Australia is powered from one long extension cord plugged in under someone's desk in a small two-story house just outside of Tofino, BC
Yeah, I'd read that somewhere. Didn't they once forget to pay their electric bill, causing the Canadian economy to collapse?

orijinal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2005
Thank you very much, I appreciate your honest answers and support! Off to Radioshack I go! :)

One question though... what is up with the "125V" marker on the prong part that hooks into the 'box' of the AC adapter? This little marking is what has thrown me off this entire time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.