Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

medea

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/camino/
Version 0.7 brings a new Download Manager, compatibility with URL Manager Pro, a Page Text Encodings menu, Global History in the sidebar, a Send Link menu item and other new toolbar buttons. The update also includes dragging of images and links to the desktop, support for Shockwave Directory content, support for Proxy Auto-configuration, and uses Rendezvous to show local FTP and Web servers.

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
I've been using it for a few hours. I don't see much change. Then again, HELL WITH SAFARI. Other than it's name, Camino makes me VERY happy.

Dan

icetraxxg5

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2002
Commerce Township
OK whats with this safari bashing?
Safari has better flash performance
Safari has better java performance
Safari loads pages quicker
Safari starts up many times faster
Safari has a small rendering engine that isn't bloated like gecko is.
Safari has better bookmarks
Safari has better searching features

Camino does have quite a few advantages over the current version of Safari (tabs, it looks better then safari, and its a much more compatible).

I think by the release of OS X 10.3 safari will be very compatible with a lot of features.

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Originally posted by icetraxxg5

Safari loads pages quicker

Meh, not any faster for me for the most part, Camino's quicker sometimes and Safari's quicker sometmes.

Safari starts up many times faster

Not any faster on my iBook or Powermac and what's the difference if it's open all day?

Safari has a small rendering engine that isn't bloated like gecko is.

Safari may be tiny, but Gecko isn't bloated at all, especialy compared to IE which is much larger, slower and has less features.

Safari is still too buggy for me to use as a default browser now.
Camino will remain until those bugs are fixed.

Glossybear

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2002
Hollywood CA
improvements over Dec-20th nightly?

How does .70 compare to the December 20th nightly?

It sounds like .70 is just the point release of that build....

Is there any significant improvement?

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
Camino is so much more of a browser than Safari. But the one thing camino can't do so well it make text looks great. Try versiontracker.com in camino then in safari, Safari renders it so well.

but the sheer speed has made me switch back to camino

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
but one thing is there is no doubt in my mind that safari will surpass it very quickly. how long has camino(chimera) been out. I'm not sure, someone will answer it though. Safari has been out for roughly two months. Apple will make sure that anyone in their right mind will use Safari. The developers are working on this hard and it will become the ultimate browser in my opinion.

iJon

icetraxxg5

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2002
Commerce Township
Originally posted by iJon
but one thing is there is no doubt in my mind that safari will surpass it very quickly. how long has camino(chimera) been out. I'm not sure, someone will answer it though. Safari has been out for roughly two months. Apple will make sure that anyone in their right mind will use Safari. The developers are working on this hard and it will become the ultimate browser in my opinion.

iJon

I completely agree.

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
Originally posted by iJon
iJon

I totally disagree. Safari has been undergoing Apple development for several months now, maybe even a year or so. Apple didn't just make this app up in 2 months. No Way.

Remember when at MWSF jobs said he had been beta testing Keynote for 1 year. Well the same usually happens with every bit of software thats out, It just doesn't get put into beta and availiable for the public, it goes months of development. So Camino may very well be better than Safari for some time now.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by mac15
I totally disagree. Safari has been undergoing Apple development for several months now, maybe even a year or so. Apple didn't just make this app up in 2 months. No Way.

Remember when at MWSF jobs said he had been beta testing Keynote for 1 year. Well the same usually happens with every bit of software thats out, It just doesn't get put into beta and availiable for the public, it goes months of development. So Camino may very well be better than Safari for some time now.
very true. im not trying to say camino sucks, i actually used up until safari came out. most people now are just using camino because apple hasnt come out with a publice release of tabs, but we all know they are there. plus apple probably has those developers all over safari like white on rice. but then on the other hand, a browser is a browser. as long as its not ugly and it opens my sites fast its all good. camino and safari is a nice team to have in the apps folder.

iJon

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Originally posted by hesdeadjim
No one mentioned the best feature, the backspace key is a shortcut for the back button.
that's the most annoying feature ;)
every single time i make a mistake typing in a password, etc. it keeps doing that!!!
who came up with the name camino? the name alone is the reason why i'm not using it as the main browser. i prefer the name safari.
Hey is it just me and my weird AluBook or does Camino not work when Safari's also running...

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by übergeek
that's the most annoying feature ;)
every single time i make a mistake typing in a password, etc. it keeps doing that!!!
who came up with the name camino? the name alone is the reason why i'm not using it as the main browser. i prefer the name safari.
Hey is it just me and my weird AluBook or does Camino not work when Safari's also running...
ive run them side by side on my 12 inch powerbook.

iJon

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
camino rocks. safari will rock, when it gets out of beta. i still have problems with it, even at macrumors here some of the lines are all messed up. i've been extremely happy with camino/chimera and i'll use it till the day safari is no doubt better.

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Originally posted by NavyIntel007
This has to be the worst name ever. I mean why not name it Hombre or Chicleta.

:rolleyes:

Bumquita would be best.

I will forever call it 'Chimera'. That was a good name.

chmorley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2002
Denver, CO
Safari vs. Camino

A few things I am noticing:

a) Generally speaking, there is not a noticeable difference in page-loading on my machine. Camino 0.7 might be a hair faster.

b) Safari v64 is close to replacing Camino for me. However, given that both have been in development for over a year now, I am not sure that Safari will surpass Camino right away.

c) Safari doesn't render as accurately as Camino.

d) There is no doubt that Camino is bloated. The Mozilla folks openly acknowledge that their code got bloated during development. Safari will probably always load faster.

e) The latest Camino nightlies are the fastest complete browser I have seen for the Mac. However, they have lost the aqua widgets and have become less stable. I'm sure this will change soon, though.

It seems that, with Camino updating to the Mozilla 1.3 tree (from the 1.0.1 tree it had had up until the day after 0.7 was released) has given them a speed boost. Toolbar folders are now slicker, as well. Given that Camino is more complete in most measurable ways (e.g., Keychain support), I think this race is far from over.

Pick whatever horse you want. I figure we'll all win.

Chris

chmorley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2002
Denver, CO
Originally posted by vniow
Safari may be tiny, but Gecko isn't bloated at all, especialy compared to IE which is much larger, slower and has less features.

Safari is still too buggy for me to use as a default browser now.
Camino will remain until those bugs are fixed.
I have hated IE for a while, but let's face facts--IE is about 60% the size of Camino. Safari is 33% the size of Camino.

IE=12 MB
Camino=21 MB
Safari=7 MB

Agreed about Camino being the single best browser on OS X right now, but man those Gecko folks have to trim the fat.

Chris

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
Before most us even knew about KHTML we all loved and adored the Mozilla Code. Now why are people seeing it as the bad and ugly one?

just because apple jumped on the KHTML code bandwagon doesn't mean it will become a better code than mozilla .

chmorley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2002
Denver, CO
Before most us even knew about KHTML we all loved and adored the Mozilla Code. Now why are people seeing it as the bad and ugly one?

just because apple jumped on the KHTML code bandwagon doesn't mean it will become a better code than mozilla .
Couldn't agree more. Gecko is great--fast, accurate, and stable. It is still more accurate and stable than Safari/KHTML (for now).

My only argument is that it's bloated, which even the Mozilla folks acknowledge.

Chris

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
Ya know this has been a hotly contested subject for a good year now on MR.

The way I am beginning to see it, is we have two damn good alternative browsers and the standard Internet Explorer.

Camino is damn fast now. Since they are now building off of the live tree, it just MOVES. We lost native widgets, but I am quite sure we will see them in all official point releases.

Safari is fast, lightweight, and a dream to use. I feel the tab implementation is much better than anything else so far. The tabs offer more feedback, are snappier, don't draw attention to themselves, and have the option to close it using an X on the tab. Its not quite there with standards compliance, but its not too far off either.

Internet Explorer is the standard. We have a more than passable version for OS X. Nuff said.

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
Camino is so much more of a browser than Safari. But the one thing camino can't do so well it make text looks great. Try versiontracker.com in camino then in safari, Safari renders it so well.

but the sheer speed has made me switch back to camino

VT is exactly UGLY in Safari. It has been one of my trouble spots with Safari since day one. I can't tolerate such a jumbled mess on my screen when I am trying to read through lists of updates. It makes my head hurt.

Dan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.