PDA

View Full Version : Funny isn't it (no respect for G4 Powerbooks)

Powerbookdriver
Jul 15, 2006, 09:50 AM
Isn't it funny how so many individuals are now treating the G4 Powerbooks like second rate pieces of crap. All I hear is MBP this and MBP that, give the G4 Powerbook's their just respect. They were and continue to be good machines that perform their tasks well. The Macbook Pro is a wonderful machine, however, some still perfer the Powerbooks. Maybe I have an emotional attachment to mine and maybe not. One thing I hate is some in here sound like PC owners bragging about their latest buy. I thought being a Mac owner was more a life style rather than an ego trip?

Ipod Mini 4g

andy89
Jul 15, 2006, 10:10 AM
I totally agree. Theres nothing wrong with G4 powerbooks, yours owns everything I have:( .

thegreatluke
Jul 15, 2006, 10:10 AM
That's the way it is with every new product and revision.

We Mac users are spoiled, spoiled people. :D

BlizzardBomb
Jul 15, 2006, 10:12 AM
G4 PBs are definitely not crap. They are still very capable machines. As for people bragging about their latest buy, while there's been more of those kind of threads, I think its been the norm for a while.

andy89
Jul 15, 2006, 10:15 AM
:( Not every mac user can afford to be spoiled. I started saving for a G4, then the G5's cames out and the price went up, so I had to save up for a bit longer, and now the mac pros are going to come out. But hopefully this time I will have enough for a fully loaded one:cool:

Powerbookdriver
Jul 15, 2006, 10:25 AM
I think part of the problem is people today are not satisfied. They are consumed with obtaining more and never really use what they have. It's all about impressing others. We have the need to feel important, so we go out pay for something we don't really need and it gives us that false sense of importance.

Free yourself and be content! I will upgrade when my current Powerbook only when I need too.

Ipod Mini 4g

Skeeball236
Jul 15, 2006, 11:20 AM
del

mac000
Jul 15, 2006, 11:33 AM
G4's are so '99

steamboat26
Jul 15, 2006, 11:36 AM
I have a stupid newbie question: why was the G5 processor never implemented in ibooks, powerbooks, or mac minis? Was it just not around long enough, or was it not designed for laptops, or did it run too hot to be used in laptops?

TheAnswer
Jul 15, 2006, 11:48 AM
I have a stupid newbie question: why was the G5 processor never implemented in ibooks, powerbooks, or mac minis? Was it just not around long enough, or was it not designed for laptops, or did it run too hot to be used in laptops?

Not designed for laptops and WAY too hot.

I think the fact the G5 never made it to the powerbooks is why people are looking down on the G4s now, because they waited so long for a decent revision. Imagine if the PowerMacs went from G3 to G5, with the difference of two generations of processors, the same situation would probably exist.

Passante
Jul 15, 2006, 12:13 PM
Well my 12 in PB is starting to look a little old. She's only 3 years old but next to a sexy black MacBook with a gorgeous wide screen.....:eek:

BlizzardBomb
Jul 15, 2006, 12:19 PM
Not designed for laptops and WAY too hot.

I think the fact the G5 never made it to the powerbooks is why people are looking down on the G4s now, because they waited so long for a decent revision. Imagine if the PowerMacs went from G3 to G5, with the difference of two generations of processors, the same situation would probably exist.

No it was not. If PC companies can get P4s in laptops a G5 laptop was easily possible. Look at the iMac for example.

codo
Jul 15, 2006, 12:26 PM
I think part of the problem is people today are not satisfied. They are consumed with obtaining more and never really use what they have. It's all about impressing others. We have the need to feel important, so we go out pay for something we don't really need and it gives us that false sense of importance.

Free yourself and be content! I will upgrade when my current Powerbook only when I need too.

You should watch the film/doc "The Corporation" (http://www.thecorporation.com/), you would probably find it interesting, if you haven’t already seen it.

NorCalLights
Jul 15, 2006, 01:03 PM
No it was not. If PC companies can get P4s in laptops a G5 laptop was easily possible. Look at the iMac for example.

Except that the PC laptops that have desktop processors in them are 2" (or more) thick and sound like helicopters. I'm actually glad that Apple didn't take the easy way out and sacrifice the design of their product to squeeze in a new processor.

Electro Funk
Jul 15, 2006, 01:10 PM

actually, yes it was... the G5 ran way too hot to fit in the small form factor of apple portables... the iMac is a desktop... not portable.

do you really think apple just said "F" it .... and just skipped over the g5 upgrades for their portables when their was such a high demand for them:rolleyes:

dmw007
Jul 15, 2006, 01:21 PM
Isn't it funny how so many individuals are now treating the G4 Powerbooks like second rate pieces of crap. All I hear is MBP this and MBP that, give the G4 Powerbook's their just respect. They were and continue to be good machines that perform their tasks well. The Macbook Pro is a wonderful machine, however, some still perfer the Powerbooks. Maybe I have an emotional attachment to mine and maybe not. One thing I hate is some in here sound like PC owners bragging about their latest buy. I thought being a Mac owner was more a life style rather than an ego trip?

See what happens when a computer company makes the switch from using PowerPC to chips from "evil inside". ;) :D

Killyp
Jul 15, 2006, 01:37 PM
I think the reason most people are talking about the MacBook Pros is because so many people have them.

For people like me, it was easier to be able to think that when buying a MacBook Pro, I could move over to the familiar Windows if I didn't like OS X. Obviously, that's not the case, but this seems to be how a lot of people see it...

erikamsterdam
Jul 15, 2006, 01:40 PM
I am sorry for the G4 owners, but the Intel machines are *so* much faster that yes, suddenly the G4 is very outdated. It has been outdated for years anyway, there was just nothing else available if you wanted to by a Mac portable.
The only thing you G4 owners can enjoy is lots more software. Still missing quite a bit for Intel, like Flip4Mac or Audacity. Rosetta is not the most stable thing on the planet :mad:

Skeeball236
Jul 15, 2006, 01:41 PM
del

UKnjb
Jul 15, 2006, 01:43 PM

FWIW, I so agree with you on your main points (maybe not the "impressing others"; I neither know nor care about that). I also have a Powerbook G4 (Al) and Powermac G4 and they do all I want or need. And for similar reasons, I am still chundering on with Panther - no obvious need to go to Tiger. Everything does me just fine, as I hope yours does you. :)

Dane D.
Jul 15, 2006, 01:51 PM
Titanium Powerbooks are pieces of crap....

Couldn't agree more. I use a Ti667Mhz coupled to a BetterLight Super 8k scanback camera system. Long boot time, unstable when running camera software, color of screen is nowhere the color on the LaCie 19" hooked into the video port, even after calibration. I still use OS 9.2.2 for the camera system because it is SCSI, using a Ratoc SCSI card CB31. Adaptec card wouldn't even work in it. Plus, I ran that Geekbench mark program that was posted in the forums last a couple of days, it's slower than my G4/466 digital audio unit.

dextertangocci
Jul 15, 2006, 01:53 PM
:( Not every mac user can afford to be spoiled. I started saving for a G4, then the G5's cames out and the price went up, so I had to save up for a bit longer, and now the mac pros are going to come out. But hopefully this time I will have enough for a fully loaded one:cool:

Wow, you are patient!

iGary
Jul 15, 2006, 01:57 PM
What I love is how the same people that were poo-pooing Intel with every fiber of their being last year all of the sudden think Intel is the best thing since sliced bread.

You still can't run Adobe or Macromedia for crap on an Intel chip. ;)

I love both my PPC machines.

dextertangocci
Jul 15, 2006, 02:05 PM
Titanium Powerbooks are pieces of crap....I've gone through two of them, both died of logic board failure within 3 years. Both had the video fritz problem, which is a precursor to LB failure.

Both were more expensive to repair than what they were worth.

Thank goodness I didn't sell my Pismo, 6 years running strong....:cool:

I don't think so! I know someone who is a graphic designer, and still uses his 400Mhz tiBook with 384MB RAM and 10GB HD for ALL his work in photoshop. It still works perfectly (except for the battery, which after like 5 years, only holds a 10 minute chrage) He is only going to upgrade in the next week to a 17" MBP.

dextertangocci
Jul 15, 2006, 02:07 PM

The main issue was the battery life. Oh yes, and the heat.

Steve Jobs gave a detailed explanation of why they didn't put a G5 into the PB's at the last Macworld Keynote

OldCorpse
Jul 15, 2006, 03:07 PM
And I'm gonna shock all of you - I'm on a 12" G4 1.33ghz iBook I bought new 6 months ago (knowing full well MacBooks were just around the corner), and I have zero envy of either the new MacBooks or the MacBook Pros! In fact, here's the shocker: I prefer my ibook to any of the new gear so far! And to the old G4 Powerbooks!

How can that be? First and foremost, I actually prefer the form factor. I like the small size of the 12" - it is truly portable. It is in fact slightly smaller than the MacBook, and slightly lighter. It is the ideal size for me personally. So, right off the bat, given that portability and aesthetics are extremely important to me, I find (yes, tastes differ) my 12" iBook to be nicer than any of the new gear. Yes, I find the proportions of the 12" iBook (not 14"), to be more aesthetically pleasing than the MacBook. And the 15" (and 17") MCB Pro is simply too big (for me). Plus, again shocka, I actually prefer the sturdy poly plastic of the iBook to any of the aluminum cases (including the G4 PBs). I like the looks and color of the white, better than the black MCB or alum MCB Pro. Yes, I understand that this may be only me, and only my peculiar taste, but since it is I who has to live with the laptop, to me my tastes are most important - and that means the 12" white iBook.

Now, onto function. Here, I must say - I like how my 12" iBook runs so cool compared to any of the new gear (or indeed the G4 PBs). That's important. The iSight camera I have zero need for. The mag power thing - meh, I've never had a problem, so to me that's a solution in search of a problem. I love the long battery life (compared to the G4 PBs or MCB Pro).

But the key thing is that my iBook does everything I want it to do. First, it is actually superior to the new gear cause all software works for it - no need for UB or Rosetta. Now, you may say that my needs are limited, and that's why the iBook is sufficient, but you'd be wrong: I just finished editing a 140 minute documentary on my iBook! And I didn't use iMovie, but the fully professional software suite of FCP 4.5 HD. I'm here to tell you, that yes, you can do professional editing on an iBook! Not once did I find myself wishing I had a PB or MCB Pro. Now, I didn't use Motion and it was from DV not HD, but I did use quite a few effects. Yes, I had to use additional gear, but I would have had to do that with a PB or MCB Pro as well: external monitor, exteranl HDD, external DVD burner for heavy duty output. My iBook worked like a champ. I am delighted with this laptop.

Other reasons wouldn't I prefer MCB or MCB Pro: they are revision A products, and so far have many more reported problems than my iBook (which for me personally has had zero).

Does the new gear have absolutely nothing on my iBook? Well, admittedly it has one thing: I'd prefer if the iBook had a slightly brighter screen, though 90% of the time it's adequate. But for example speed? Pfeh, I'm not impressed. Why, because it is not faster in tasks that matter to me. Look, I'm irritated when Safari on my iBook loads pages slowly - but that's not faster on the new gear! The bottleneck is Safari and the sites themselves. Do my apps launch slightly slower than on the new gear - yes, but the difference is not worth mentioning on a practical level... I never go "curse, I wish iCal launhed with 1 bounce instead of 3!!!". When I was doing rendering of my project in Compressor, it took 24 hours - and probably a PB or MCB Pro could cut it to say 12 - but somehow, it didn't really matter to me, both are darn long anyway - I mean, if the difference was something taking 3 hours on my iBook but only 10 minutes on new gear, OK, that would be something, but so far (music and editing software), I have not found that to be an issue. So, speed has so far not made a difference to me in how I look at the new gear.

Ultimately, would I go for the new stuff? One day I'll have no choice, as there will be new software that will not run on my iBook, and my poor lappy will be too old anyhow. But I surely will not buy the rev. A stuff out there right now. I'll wait until macintels mature quite a bit... and I need new gear. But I doubt I'll ever throw away my iBook - it'll coexist peacefully with whatever new stuff comes in.

Sorry for the length, I just wanted to let folks know that it isn't just G4 PB owners who may feel quite happy with their gear, but indeed even owners of lowly G4 iBooks. I wouldn't exchange my iBook for any other laptop out there PB or MCBs or whatever. Of course, the fact that I paid only $785 for my iBook, new, doesnt' hurt either :)

BlizzardBomb
Jul 15, 2006, 03:12 PM
The main issue was the battery life. Oh yes, and the heat.

Steve Jobs gave a detailed explanation of why they didn't put a G5 into the PB's at the last Macworld Keynote

Uh-huh. So tell me why IBM says that the typical usage of a 970FX G5 processor clocked at 1.6GHz is 16 watts with a 30 watt maximum. That's on par with the current Core Duos. And yes these processors were released over a year ago. I think it was more of a case of lets make IBM look bad before we ditch them.

ham_man
Jul 15, 2006, 03:20 PM
We should start a club... :cool:

p0intblank
Jul 15, 2006, 03:21 PM
I love my PowerBook. I use it as a desktop now (hooked up to my Dell 20.1" monitor) and it performs very well. It's not the fastest machine for video editing, but I think it handles the tasks I throw at it very well.

Skeeball236
Jul 15, 2006, 03:22 PM
del

MacFan25863
Jul 15, 2006, 03:41 PM
I have a 1.33 GHz PB that has lasted me 2.5 years...it is, however, starting to show its age. I will probably get a rev b MacPro when they come out, and use my PB as a portable only.

valiar
Jul 15, 2006, 03:51 PM
I for one am happy to be rid of my 15' 1.25GHz AlBook.
Why?
It drained battery like crazy in sleep mode (yes, it waked up instantly, but 5% of the battery charge would be gone when I just drive from home to work!).
The battery life was short - I always ended up lugging an extra battery.
It was quite slow - even when doing mundane tasks in MS Office, or compiling Java programs.
But my main gripe with the AlBook was the pain of the hard drive upgrade process. It was almost ***** impossible to accomplish without scratching and bending the machine! For those of you who have never tried to do it, not only you needed a full set of hex and 0/000 screwdrivers - you also needed to pry 3-4 stupid latches through the DVD drive slit. Good luck doing that. It was really, really hard. I really hate the AlBook for this "feature".
As a matter of fact, I would not have bought the AlBook if I was given a choice - but my TiBook's video chip has failed, Apple could not fix it in two attempts, so they just gave me a new AlBook (whith which I was stuck for nearly 3 years).
I really love the MacBook Pro - they fixed most of the major gripes I had with it, hard drive is much easier to get to, and I can even play games on it!

dpaanlka
Jul 15, 2006, 03:56 PM
I love my PowerBook G4

Mackilroy
Uh-huh. So tell me why IBM says that the typical usage of a 970FX G5 processor clocked at 1.6GHz is 16 watts with a 30 watt maximum. That's on par with the current Core Duos. And yes these processors were released over a year ago. I think it was more of a case of lets make IBM look bad before we ditch them.

And yet the MacBooks and MBPs at MINIMUM use a 1.83 Dual Core - you're referring to a slower single core processor.

SC68Cal
Knowing full well that my TiBook is only 667mhz, I'm pretty happy with it. I just like how thin and light it is :)

portent
Jul 15, 2006, 04:09 PM
A 1.6GHz G5 doesn't perform any better than the 1.67GHz G4 that was in the last PowerBooks. Faster bus, but slower AltiVec performance. Yes, it can access more memory, but few people need more than 4GB in a notebook, anyway.

decksnap
Jul 15, 2006, 04:23 PM
What I love is how the same people that were poo-pooing Intel with every fiber of their being last year all of the sudden think Intel is the best thing since sliced bread.

You still can't run Adobe or Macromedia for crap on an Intel chip. ;)

I love both my PPC machines.

Maybe because their old processors were poo-poo, and the new ones are the best thing since sliced bread? :)

And yes, I'm still glad I have a PPC Powermac for now. Until Adobe gets their act together, at which point I will be extremely jealous of conroe and woodcrest.

BlizzardBomb
Jul 15, 2006, 04:28 PM
And yet the MacBooks and MBPs at MINIMUM use a 1.83 Dual Core

Which was released this year :rolleyes:

Obsidian6
Jul 15, 2006, 04:30 PM
I love my powerbook g4. I really really do. My first mac was my 17" PB, and it performed like a champ for two years, i only recently traded it because i wanted a slightly smaller laptop. I am absolutely thrilled with my current powerbook. I am only considering trading for a macbook simply because i could use a small form factor. I most likely won't go through with it unless i got some great offer for my PB.

thing is.. I use photoshop. a lot. pretty much every day. and my desktop G5 screams with photoshop. it begs for more practically. so i figured the macbook would work well for me, as i can be patient until CS3 is released.

anyways. I still firmly believe in the capabilities of PPC. and i wont be getting rid of this G5 for a long time ;)

Verto
Jul 15, 2006, 04:45 PM

Bragging about the G4 Powerbook might have made sense years ago, when the G4 could actually be considered modern. For many years, the G4 PB HAS been second rate*.

*When you take into account it's exorbitant price at the time.

Mackilroy
Jul 15, 2006, 05:58 PM
Which was released this year :rolleyes:

…and your point is?

quagmire
Jul 15, 2006, 06:03 PM
The G4 architecture is in no way a POS. Freescale is a POS for ignoring it. I also hate the comments, " The G5 is so outdated now. It is a POS." The G5 is still a very capable CPU. It will be kickass for years to come. Unlike the G4..... Freescale screwed it up. The G4 does have a shorter lifespan with the Intel switch then the G5 does.

jne381
Jul 15, 2006, 07:14 PM
I say we divide this sight right down the middle like a really bad sitcom. The PPC Mac users get the right side, and the Intel Mac users get the left side. Those of you that have both have to pick a side for now and stick with it, at least until Apple doesn't support PPC anymore. PPC users get the forum sections, and the Intel users get the rumors pages. We will have to have shared custody of the guides, PPC users get them on Friday afternoon, weekends and holidays, and Intel users get them all other days.

This will be the only way the PPC Mac users and Intel Mac user will be able to get along for now.

I for one will be firmly behind the PPC Macs until death, or I have enough money to buy a new Mac. At which point I will have no choice except to degrade and make all those Plain Belly Sneetches feel inferior for not being just like me.

dmw007
Jul 15, 2006, 09:40 PM
The G4 architecture is in no way a POS. Freescale is a POS for ignoring it. I also hate the comments, " The G5 is so outdated now. It is a POS." The G5 is still a very capable CPU. It will be kickass for years to come. Unlike the G4..... Freescale screwed it up. The G4 does have a shorter lifespan with the Intel switch then the G5 does.

You are absolutely right quagmire, the PowerPC G5 is still a great chip that will provide plenty of performance for most users for years to come. :)

chasingapple
Jul 16, 2006, 05:59 AM
And I'm gonna shock all of you - I'm on a 12" G4 1.33ghz iBook I bought new 6 months ago (knowing full well MacBooks were just around the corner), and I have zero envy of either the new MacBooks or the MacBook Pros! In fact, here's the shocker: I prefer my ibook to any of the new gear so far! And to the old G4 Powerbooks!

How can that be? First and foremost, I actually prefer the form factor. I like the small size of the 12" - it is truly portable. It is in fact slightly smaller than the MacBook, and slightly lighter. It is the ideal size for me personally. So, right off the bat, given that portability and aesthetics are extremely important to me, I find (yes, tastes differ) my 12" iBook to be nicer than any of the new gear. Yes, I find the proportions of the 12" iBook (not 14"), to be more aesthetically pleasing than the MacBook. And the 15" (and 17") MCB Pro is simply too big (for me). Plus, again shocka, I actually prefer the sturdy poly plastic of the iBook to any of the aluminum cases (including the G4 PBs). I like the looks and color of the white, better than the black MCB or alum MCB Pro. Yes, I understand that this may be only me, and only my peculiar taste, but since it is I who has to live with the laptop, to me my tastes are most important - and that means the 12" white iBook.

Now, onto function. Here, I must say - I like how my 12" iBook runs so cool compared to any of the new gear (or indeed the G4 PBs). That's important. The iSight camera I have zero need for. The mag power thing - meh, I've never had a problem, so to me that's a solution in search of a problem. I love the long battery life (compared to the G4 PBs or MCB Pro).

But the key thing is that my iBook does everything I want it to do. First, it is actually superior to the new gear cause all software works for it - no need for UB or Rosetta. Now, you may say that my needs are limited, and that's why the iBook is sufficient, but you'd be wrong: I just finished editing a 140 minute documentary on my iBook! And I didn't use iMovie, but the fully professional software suite of FCP 4.5 HD. I'm here to tell you, that yes, you can do professional editing on an iBook! Not once did I find myself wishing I had a PB or MCB Pro. Now, I didn't use Motion and it was from DV not HD, but I did use quite a few effects. Yes, I had to use additional gear, but I would have had to do that with a PB or MCB Pro as well: external monitor, exteranl HDD, external DVD burner for heavy duty output. My iBook worked like a champ. I am delighted with this laptop.

Other reasons wouldn't I prefer MCB or MCB Pro: they are revision A products, and so far have many more reported problems than my iBook (which for me personally has had zero).

Does the new gear have absolutely nothing on my iBook? Well, admittedly it has one thing: I'd prefer if the iBook had a slightly brighter screen, though 90% of the time it's adequate. But for example speed? Pfeh, I'm not impressed. Why, because it is not faster in tasks that matter to me. Look, I'm irritated when Safari on my iBook loads pages slowly - but that's not faster on the new gear! The bottleneck is Safari and the sites themselves. Do my apps launch slightly slower than on the new gear - yes, but the difference is not worth mentioning on a practical level... I never go "curse, I wish iCal launhed with 1 bounce instead of 3!!!". When I was doing rendering of my project in Compressor, it took 24 hours - and probably a PB or MCB Pro could cut it to say 12 - but somehow, it didn't really matter to me, both are darn long anyway - I mean, if the difference was something taking 3 hours on my iBook but only 10 minutes on new gear, OK, that would be something, but so far (music and editing software), I have not found that to be an issue. So, speed has so far not made a difference to me in how I look at the new gear.

Ultimately, would I go for the new stuff? One day I'll have no choice, as there will be new software that will not run on my iBook, and my poor lappy will be too old anyhow. But I surely will not buy the rev. A stuff out there right now. I'll wait until macintels mature quite a bit... and I need new gear. But I doubt I'll ever throw away my iBook - it'll coexist peacefully with whatever new stuff comes in.

Sorry for the length, I just wanted to let folks know that it isn't just G4 PB owners who may feel quite happy with their gear, but indeed even owners of lowly G4 iBooks. I wouldn't exchange my iBook for any other laptop out there PB or MCBs or whatever. Of course, the fact that I paid only $785 for my iBook, new, doesnt' hurt either :)

Instead of saying what I was going to say, I will just borrow your post. Well said, and I agree 100%!

dmw007
Jul 16, 2006, 08:15 AM
Instead of saying what I was going to say, I will just borrow your post. Well said, and I agree 100%!

True, OldCorpse does bring up some good point about why he/she loves his/her iBook G4 (especially the battery life that the iBook G4 gets). But being a former owner of one of those machines I can say that they are indeed great computers, but I find myself enjoying my MacBook Pro more than I enjoyed using my 12" 1.33GHz iBook G4. :o :)

sushi
Jul 16, 2006, 08:20 AM
Agree.

Completely like my PB15 with a G4. Works well for me.

I figure that it will last at least a couple of more years. Then it will be time to get a MB or MBP.

Happy until then.

sushi
Jul 16, 2006, 08:30 AM
I am sorry for the G4 owners, but the Intel machines are *so* much faster that yes, suddenly the G4 is very outdated.
No reason to feel sorry for us PB G4 owners. They are still great machines and will be for a while.

BTW, I have yet to type faster than my "outdated" PB15 can run. ;)

BackInTheSaddle
Jul 16, 2006, 08:54 AM
I have a MacBook and I do like it, but the 12" G4 PowerBooks were (and still are) great machines, at a very good form factor and eminently usable. The biggest gripe I had about them was the limit of 1.25GB for RAM.

Although they are faster, the new hardware IMHO does not meet the claims of 4-5x faster as you see in all the advertising. Sure, you can pick your benchmark and some apps will be lightning fast compared to the old architecture, but for real world applications the G4 holds up pretty well against the so-called "modern" processors coming from Intel.

Motorola (and now Freescale) never got the respect it was due. Even though they only sold a fraction of the chip volume of Intel and AMD, and subsequently had far less cash to invest in R&D, they still managed to compete fairly well for many years.

I still wonder how differently the semiconductor world would look today if IBM had gone ahead and put a Motorola processor in their first PC instead of an Intel.

dmw007
Jul 16, 2006, 09:06 AM
Agree.

Completely like my PB15 with a G4. Works well for me.

I figure that it will last at least a couple of more years. Then it will be time to get a MB or MBP.

Happy until then.

Good point, as long as you are happy with your current machine and it handles all of your tasks that you do well enough, then there is no need to buy a new machine. :)

dextertangocci
Jul 17, 2006, 10:03 AM
I say we divide this sight right down the middle like a really bad sitcom. The PPC Mac users get the right side, and the Intel Mac users get the left side. Those of you that have both have to pick a side for now and stick with it, at least until Apple doesn't support PPC anymore. PPC users get the forum sections, and the Intel users get the rumors pages. We will have to have shared custody of the guides, PPC users get them on Friday afternoon, weekends and holidays, and Intel users get them all other days.

This will be the only way the PPC Mac users and Intel Mac user will be able to get along for now.

I for one will be firmly behind the PPC Macs until death, or I have enough money to buy a new Mac. At which point I will have no choice except to degrade and make all those Plain Belly Sneetches feel inferior for not being just like me.

What if you use both:)

dextertangocci
Jul 17, 2006, 10:10 AM

I had that exact iBook, but I WAY prefer my new MB to the iBook:)

Apple Corps
Jul 17, 2006, 10:16 AM
There are many of us that disagree with you. My TiPB continues to run strong, no screen issues, paint has never chipped, no kernal panics, and I have one of the very first shipped. This TiPB also has been borrowed by our youngest son for a couple of years of computer science work at college - so it has really been put through its paces and keeps chugging along.

GREAT little machine - cool, quiet, reliable.

joshwest
Jul 17, 2006, 10:24 AM
I understand the reasoning behind thinking the old is bad.. But i still have great respect for the 12" PB evne though i got rid of mine for a MacBook. I plan on purchasing a 1 ghz soon just to have cause i love the size and design. It can do almost any minimal task my MB does maybe a little slower but it doesnt matter. The 12 Pb rules all now if the come out with a 13" MBP then i might reconsider.

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 17, 2006, 10:44 AM
I am sorry for the G4 owners, but the Intel machines are *so* much faster that yes, suddenly the G4 is very outdated. It has been outdated for years anyway, there was just nothing else available if you wanted to by a Mac portable.
The only thing you G4 owners can enjoy is lots more software. Still missing quite a bit for Intel, like Flip4Mac or Audacity. Rosetta is not the most stable thing on the planet :mad:

The G4 may not be the fastest processor out there. But my PB 12" 1ghz still does nicely for me. If I need speed I go to my iMac G5 (when it is working, see my woe thread). For two years the PB 12" was powerful enough for me to do page layouts in InDesign CS.

m-dogg
Jul 17, 2006, 11:36 AM
I'm loving my 15" PB that I bought earlier this year (several months after the MBP's were released).

QCassidy352
Jul 17, 2006, 12:00 PM
I had that exact iBook, but I WAY prefer my new MB to the iBook:)

Same. I had an ibook g4 12" 1.33 Ghz with 1.5 GB RAM from August '05 until May '06, and it was a very nice computer. But it's simply not in the same league as my macbook.
- the macbook is faster. Oh god, so much faster.
- the MB screen is brighter. Oh god, so much brighter.
- the MB has higher resolution. I can actually view 2 docs side by side. This is HUGE for me.
- MB keyboard is just worlds better. No comparison.
- isight, front row, and magsafe are all cute and useful. not amazing, but cute and useful. :)
- build quality is SO much better. my ibooks (I have owned 3) always felt creaky and cheap, like the low end laptops they were. the macbook feels rock solid like a powerbook or mbp.

They've both had their share of issues (3 repairs on the ibook, 1 so far on the macbook - And no, I'm not happy with apple's QC right now), so that's a wash. :rolleyes:

I don't look down on G4 ibooks or powerbooks; they were and continue to be great computers. But if anyone out there has actually used an apple intel laptop and a G4 laptop for an extended period and can still say they prefer a G4, I'd be amazed.

funkychunkz
Jul 17, 2006, 12:08 PM
Note that some gloating PC users have simply switched to have our awesome hardware!

cschreppel
Jul 17, 2006, 01:16 PM
Been using my 1GHz TiBook for 3 years now...still running strong.

I was a little peeved when I got it just before the release of the 15" Aluminums, but whatev.

Had some screen issues when I first got it, but Apple fixed it without a problem. The right hinge broke, but I fixed that myself...$50 instead of a few hundred.

Getting a 13.3" MacBook next month and giving the TiBook to my parents (who have been converted to Mac).

iBookG4user
Jul 17, 2006, 01:18 PM
I have respect for the G4s (not the tv channel though) but my 14" ibook G4 1.33GHz is WAY underpowered for my needs. It does photoshop fine and I'm not complaining about that but it's encoding that it is extremely underpowered. My parents brand new intel iMac encodes a 100MB file in 4 minutes and my iBook takes over 25 minutes. My iBook is fine but it just doesn't meet my needs anymore. The 60GB hard drive was great when I bought it but it gets filled up regularly now. The encodes take a lot longer than I would like because I also wanted 7 170MB files encoded for my iPod and it took 45 minutes per file, so I ended up leaving it on all night to finish. When I got my iBook back in 2005 it was a prodigious upgrade, but times have changed and my needs have gotten a lot greater. I'm going to be taking 2 photoshop classes next year and my iBook is going to be exponentially faster then those P3 700MHz, 256MB RAM that they choke us with but I've always felt like I've wanted to be on the bleeding edge of technology and this iBook isn't there anymore. This topic is like saying no respect for the G3s, when the G4 came out. Computers are always going to be getting faster until the world ends. It's always been out with the old and in with the new.

Palad1
Jul 17, 2006, 01:34 PM
When the MacBooks came out, I did some research to sell my pb and get a MB. That lasted about 2 days, until I had the chance to try a MB... Bleh!

Me Looooovez mii powerbookie!! :D

dpaanlka
Jul 17, 2006, 01:55 PM
You know its funny... given how unreliable everyone says Xbench is, I've always found it pretty good on all of my machines that run OS X and up. When comparing Xbench scores to Xbench scores, it seems pretty reliable in that respect.

My friend got a 2ghz MacBook Pro two days ago, and he came over yesterday so I could teach him how to use it and stuff. For fun we ran Xbench tests on it as well as my 1ghz PowerBook G4 to laugh at how badly the MacBook murdered the G4... which it did. In fact every processor related test was about 3 - 5 times faster, just like Steve Jobs said! All but one.

One test stood out as a humbling reminder of just how Powerful the G4 was, and that was the vecLib test. This 1ghz G4 slighted out the 2ghz dual core MacBook Pro in what I assume is a test that makes heavy use of AltiVec. That was extremely impressive. We ran the test several times to make sure it wasn't an error, even restarting each machine. Similar results every time.

Reminds me of what an exciting thing the G4 was way back when it first came out. It really did seem much faster than Intels in all those showy Photoshop and FCP tests they would show us (which also made heavy use of AltiVec).

Obsidian6
Jul 17, 2006, 02:15 PM
i had a moment of weakness before, and considered trading my powerbook for a macbook. but considering the current QC issues ( although i generally have good luck with my stuff ) It is enough to get me to wait for rev b. and CS3.

i love this current powerbook that i have now. it has no issues what so ever. it doesn't heat up to astronomical temperatures, it doesnt make funny animal noises, it doesn't whine ( or complain ) it just works, and works really really well. I honestly now see no point in trading again, I am so pleased with this powerbook. I cant wait to get my extra ram ( and i better hurry up on the applecare too! ) I'm gonna keep this baby for a long time. It is a Rev. E afterall :) Unfortunately, Final revs are ALWAYS the best haha, they just come too late ;)

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 17, 2006, 02:21 PM
i had a moment of weakness before, and considered trading my powerbook for a macbook. but considering the current QC issues ( although i generally have good luck with my stuff ) It is enough to get me to wait for rev b. and CS3.

i love this current powerbook that i have now. it has no issues what so ever. it doesn't heat up to astronomical temperatures, it doesnt make funny animal noises, it doesn't whine ( or complain ) it just works, and works really really well. I honestly now see no point in trading again, I am so pleased with this powerbook. I cant wait to get my extra ram ( and i better hurry up on the applecare too! ) I'm gonna keep this baby for a long time. It is a Rev. E afterall :) Unfortunately, Final revs are ALWAYS the best haha, they just come too late ;)

The whole UB issue is one reason that as much as i would love to get a new iMac because of my multiple repairs on my iMac G5. Darn Adobe. Though I would love to have a Dual Core. :)

QCassidy352
Jul 17, 2006, 02:42 PM
i had a moment of weakness before, and considered trading my powerbook for a macbook... It is a Rev. E afterall :) Unfortunately, Final revs are ALWAYS the best haha, they just come too late ;)

lol, I had a moment of weakness when I considered trading my macbook for a powerbook! Ah, how foolish I was to even consider it... ;) :p

Oh, and your (15") powerbook is a rev. D. There were only 4 generations of the 15" Al powerbook:
1.0/1.25
1.33/1.5
1.5/1.67
1.67 (hi res)

And not to be argumentative, but the rev. D 15" PB was quite problematic. It had the dreaded "horizontal line" issue (prompting a 56 page thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=158751&page=56&highlight=horizontal+line+powerbook)) as well as an issue with having more than a gig of RAM. QC issues occur on all models, which is why I think the "don't buy rev. A" mentality is silly.

brikeh
Jul 17, 2006, 02:48 PM
I looooove my powerbook(last rev 12") Im waiting for rev b of the MBP, thinking of a 17". ;) Anyhooooo my 12 inch pb is my baby...:o

Obsidian6
Jul 17, 2006, 03:47 PM
oh seriously? i thought the first 1.67ghz update was the rev. D. :) my mistake.

i was also unaware of those problems with the hi-rez PB, and yes i know that QC is always a factor, but in a general sense, the last rev, USUALLY has all the kinks worked out, or at least most of them.

i suppose i was just blessed with a good one :) ( what is the RAM issue you were talking about? I have 1.5Gb now, and i plan to up it to 2GB soon, is there going to be a problem? )

and no i dont think your being argumentative or anything, you were correcting me, and i appreciate that. sometimes i make assumptions haha, so thank you for correcting me :)

Sesshi
Jul 17, 2006, 03:55 PM
As apparently I will be buying one (if the guy who should be selling his powerbook lets me know) what is the difference between G5 and G4? I know there's quite a performance gap between G5 and Intel CoreDuo with appropriate software, and even sometimes with Rosetta. So does that make the G4 a complete dog? I'm not going to be doing anything demanding on it but I just think I would prefer the form factor of the 12" PB as opposed to the current Macbook which I'm using as my actual portable. As long as I get something like a Centrino 1.1 performance in real terms I'll be pretty happy. Is that the case, or is the G4 even slower?

Obsidian6
Jul 17, 2006, 03:57 PM
no way, my g4 powerbook is still very quick with photoshop, obviously not as fast as my g5 desktop. but it is very easy to use with high performance apps.

smokeyboi
Jul 17, 2006, 04:07 PM
As apparently I will be buying one (if the guy who should be selling his powerbook lets me know) what is the difference between G5 and G4? I know there's quite a performance gap between G5 and Intel CoreDuo with appropriate software, and even sometimes with Rosetta. So does that make the G4 a complete dog? I'm not going to be doing anything demanding on it but I just think I would prefer the form factor of the 12" PB as opposed to the current Macbook which I'm using as my actual portable. As long as I get something like a Centrino 1.1 performance in real terms I'll be pretty happy. Is that the case, or is the G4 even slower?

uh...the G4 is way slower than even a single core pentium m! let's get real here....there's really no point in purchasing a computer with a G4 nowadays! the G4 is OLD and obsolete, it's slow as hell!

dpaanlka
Jul 17, 2006, 04:08 PM
uh...the G4 is way slower than even a single core pentium m! let's get real here....there's really no point in purchasing a computer with a G4 nowadays! the G4 is OLD and obsolete, it's slow as hell!

i hope thats sarcasm... if it's not, you really aught to get your priorities straight, and be less sensational about your claims

Obsidian6
Jul 17, 2006, 04:17 PM
seriously... yes it is older, and has been updated. but so what.

does that suddenly make this laptop im using a worthless POS? i think not. it still runs quick, it still runs photoshop very well, and does everything i need it to do for my work.

therefore, it is still a viable computer for me. not all of us can afford to update at every revision, or sometimes even every other revision. so what exactly gives you the right to criticize someone because they are using a G4?

should i have to feel like a lesser person because im using a powerbook? or suddenly my G5 tower is no longer usable because the G5 is getting phased out?

you realize that makes no sense don't you? well. at least i hope you realize that.

panoz7
Jul 17, 2006, 04:34 PM
Oh, and your (15") powerbook is a rev. D. There were only 4 generations of the 15" Al powerbook:
1.0/1.25
1.33/1.5
1.5/1.67
1.67 (hi res)

That's not correct. You're right in that there were only four revisions of the fifteen inch aluminum powerbook... but there were five revisions of the aluminum powerbook family. Recall that the 12" and 17" versions were released a revision ahead of the 15" aluminum version. The titanium 1ghz powerbook was sold simultaneously with with the aluminum 12s and 17s. The original 12" and 17" constitute the rev. A's of the aluminum powerbook family. I might be getting a little ahead of my self here, but I'm almost certain that the last gen 15" powerbooks were generally refereed to as rev. Es even though they were only the fourth generation of that exact model. This is the revision that had the banding issues.

Back on topic, I recently traded my Macbook for a 1.67 ghz Rev D (not hi-res to clarify). Personally I'm glad that the powerbooks are now seen as pieces of crap. Their resale value took a nice hit with the release of the Macbook, and I was able to get more computer for the dollar then I would have had they held there true value and respect. I'm loving the powerbook. G4's aren't the best, but they're still quite respectable, and certainly get the job done better with certain tasks (photoshop most importantly). The only thing I'm missing is the tap right click. That was great!

smokeyboi
Jul 17, 2006, 04:37 PM
seriously... yes it is older, and has been updated. but so what.

does that suddenly make this laptop im using a worthless POS? i think not. it still runs quick, it still runs photoshop very well, and does everything i need it to do for my work.

therefore, it is still a viable computer for me. not all of us can afford to update at every revision, or sometimes even every other revision. so what exactly gives you the right to criticize someone because they are using a G4?

should i have to feel like a lesser person because im using a powerbook? or suddenly my G5 tower is no longer usable because the G5 is getting phased out?

you realize that makes no sense don't you? well. at least i hope you realize that.

a little touchy aren't we? geez...it's just computers were talking about here, it's not like i'm insulting anyone personally. some people here obviously need some help! ;) ;)

smokeyboi
Jul 17, 2006, 04:40 PM
i hope thats sarcasm... if it's not, you really aught to get your priorities straight, and be less sensational about your claims

hey dude...that was my damn opinion. if you don't like and then tough! your the one who should get their priorities straight!

ironic23
Jul 17, 2006, 04:45 PM
That's the way it is with every new product and revision.

We Mac users are spoiled, spoiled people. :D

I'd like to second that. Although if i could afford to hold on to my PB 12", i'd do it. PowerPCs have been a great line of processors though, IMO.

howesey
Jul 17, 2006, 04:48 PM
I wouldn't touch Intel hardware with a barge pole just yet. Too unstable for my liking. Always stick to what has been tried and tested.

amin
Jul 17, 2006, 04:49 PM
I'll be getting an Intel MB Pro this year, but I am continuing to love my G4 Powerbook!

Obsidian6
Jul 17, 2006, 04:49 PM
a little touchy aren't we? geez...it's just computers were talking about here, it's not like i'm insulting anyone personally. some people here obviously need some help! ;) ;)

youre right, it is just a computer. but what i dont understand, is why come to a thread that is discussing the redeeming qualities of the g4 powerbooks, and bad mouth them?

i just fail to see your logic there. sure you can have your opinion, i don't care, but to come in here and tell us that our laptops are total crap because you feel so negatively about them, just doesn't make sense.

also - to say "its not like im insulting anyone personally" then turn around and say " some people here obviously need some help" how is that not insulting me?

whatever, anyways. just don't come and post negative BS where it clearly isnt wanted.

dpaanlka
Jul 17, 2006, 04:58 PM
hey dude...that was my damn opinion. if you don't like and then tough! your the one who should get their priorities straight!

its a pretty illogical opinion. sorry, that's my opinion.

G4s being outdated to the point of being "useless"

ridiculous

what do you buy a brand new computer like every six months?

panoz7
Jul 17, 2006, 05:06 PM

ridiculous

Agreed.

Just out of curiosity smokeyboi, have you ever used a late G4?

I don't think anybody on this board would suggest that the G4 is the superior chip, or that it is faster then the intel chips for universal apps, but for me, as with a significant number of "pro" users running certain apps under Rosetta just doesn't work well. Am I impressed that the intel chips can run Photoshop through emulation almost as quickly as a powerpc G4 can do it natively? Of Course. But its still not quite as fast and not nearly as stable.

I think what others, and certainly myself are objecting to is your absolute point of view. The point of this thread was to point (that was the third "point" in like fifteen words... should probably work on my vocabulary a bit instead of surfing mac rumors...) out that just because something isn't the latest and greatest doesn't automatically make it bad. It just makes it not as new and not the best.

smokeyboi
Jul 17, 2006, 05:17 PM
youre right, it is just a computer. but what i dont understand, is why come to a thread that is discussing the redeeming qualities of the g4 powerbooks, and bad mouth them?

i just fail to see your logic there. sure you can have your opinion, i don't care, but to come in here and tell us that our laptops are total crap because you feel so negatively about them, just doesn't make sense.

also - to say "its not like im insulting anyone personally" then turn around and say " some people here obviously need some help" how is that not insulting me?

whatever, anyways. just don't come and post negative BS where it clearly isnt wanted.

ok dude! yes i agree that you need to get some serious help......FAST!

ridiculous

uh...when did I ever say that the G4's were "useless"??? get your facts straight dude! or better yet, learn to read properly!

Agreed.

Just out of curiosity smokeyboi, have you ever used a late G4?

I don't think anybody on this board would suggest that the G4 is the superior chip, or that it is faster then the intel chips for universal apps, but for me, as with a significant number of "pro" users running certain apps under Rosetta just doesn't work well. Am I impressed that the intel chips can run Photoshop through emulation almost as quickly as a powerpc G4 can do it natively? Of Course. But its still not quite as fast and not nearly as stable.

I think what others, and certainly myself are objecting to is your absolute point of view. The point of this thread was to point (that was the third "point" in like fifteen words... should probably work on my vocabulary a bit instead of surfing mac rumors...) out that just because something isn't the latest and greatest doesn't automatically make it bad. It just makes it not as new and not the best.

yes, i previously owned a 1.5ghz powerbook G4 and it was too slow for me. slow enough that I had to return it and get a refund.

Sesshi
Jul 18, 2006, 03:32 AM

If someone would answer the question that would be nice too.

exabytes18
Jul 18, 2006, 03:46 AM
The only thing that attracted me to Macs were the PowerPC processors. Windows boxes with either Intel or AMD processors couldn't really hold their own in the past. My saying is... Power to PowerMacs powered by PowerPC processors. Any computer with a G3, G4, or G5 has my respect.

ghall
Jul 18, 2006, 12:12 PM
I bought my 12" PowerBook last September. If I had just held out until MacWorld 2006, I whould be using a MacBook Pro right now.

JBot
Jul 18, 2006, 12:26 PM
I bought my 12" PowerBook last September. If I had just held out until MacWorld 2006, I whould be using a MacBook Pro right now.
Haha thats the same with me. I baught it in Sept for school, couldnt hold out another year to do comp sci with only a desktop. Now i just cant justify dropping another $2000+ for anotherone. Do i regret my purchase? Not at all, it just sucks now having a windows booted dt and a mac booted lp. Next summer when the intels proven to be more stable, the heating is hopefully fixed, and the stupid cosmetic problems are hopefully all covered, i can see myself getting a mbp.
Than in another few months post the same message.

supremedesigner
Jul 18, 2006, 12:26 PM

Ipod Mini 4g

Well I did like PB G4 but the bus speed sucks! If the bus speed were any good, I'd go for it. I can't stand 167 mHz.

FF_productions
Jul 18, 2006, 01:17 PM
I'm not a PowerBook G4 owner, but a PowerMac G4 owner. Everyone says it is ancient and all the crap, I really don't notice/care. This computer is just as fast as my iMac G5 that I had before this one. Intel is a boat I don't want to jump on yet because the Mac Pro's aren't even out yet. I'm sure I'll consider Intel in a year or so, but I'll end up with a MacBook Pro when I go to college.

I acknowledge that there is better newer faster technology here/coming, but it will always be that way. I bet a month after the Mac Pro's come out, there will be threads saying "Updates Next Tuesday?!?!?".

Viva La G4!

bluelovesorange
Jul 18, 2006, 02:12 PM
i just love the "old school" feel my quite capable 1.67 17" pBook gives me:p :) :)

brepublican
Jul 18, 2006, 02:13 PM
Intel was a good choice for Apple because of two words: Road Map.

But don't knock the G4. Still awesome IMHO. Only way I am relinquishing my PowerBook G4 is if someone pries it from my cold dead hands. That, or it dies. Then I get an MBP or whatever Apple will be offering then :)

TEG
Jul 18, 2006, 02:28 PM
Titanium Powerbooks are pieces of crap....I've gone through two of them, both died of logic board failure within 3 years. Both had the video fritz problem, which is a precursor to LB failure.

Both were more expensive to repair than what they were worth.

Thank goodness I didn't sell my Pismo, 6 years running strong....:cool:

I have both a TiBook 500 and 667 (DVI). I'm not to sure about the history with the 667, as I only got it in Janurary (for $400), but I love my TiBook 500. It had some minor Rev A problems, the LB has be changed 4 times (1 for Video card problems, 1 for Keyboard Problems, 1 for a broken USB Port, and 1 for a memory problem frying the board. Thank the almighty for AppleCare. I will swear by Apple Care, never without my machine for more that 5 days for each problem. Some of the problems were caused by minor accidents, including a dent in the back of the screen which they fixed, no questions asked. The thing I like best, the full tilt ability of the screen compared to the AluBooks and MBP/MB/iBooks. Nearly 170 degrees of flex, plus 4-5 hour battery life on the original battery and 5-6 hour battery life on the replacement I bought when one of my cells self distructed.

TEG

bbrosemer
Jul 18, 2006, 02:31 PM
Its this simple every PowerPC lover Pentium was crap and P4 was a big step backwards, however the Core series is the best processor avaliable for the forseable future.

TEG
Jul 18, 2006, 02:32 PM
I'm not a PowerBook G4 owner, but a PowerMac G4 owner. Everyone says it is ancient and all the crap, I really don't notice/care. This computer is just as fast as my iMac G5 that I had before this one. Intel is a boat I don't want to jump on yet because the Mac Pro's aren't even out yet. I'm sure I'll consider Intel in a year or so, but I'll end up with a MacBook Pro when I go to college.

I acknowledge that there is better newer faster technology here/coming, but it will always be that way. I bet a month after the Mac Pro's come out, there will be threads saying "Updates Next Tuesday?!?!?".

Viva La G4!

The best thing about the old G4s is that you ca n pick one oup on eBay or CraigsList, (or the marketplace) for $200, buy and upgrade chip for $200-$300, and have a great machine (read: able to run new games, and keep up with the G4mini). Plus, the older ones, just use standard SDRAM, which is very cheap, infact I have nearly 1 GB siting at home, because I've upgraded other machines. I just wish I had one, along with one of the smokey plastic or clear plastic CRTs Apple had.

TEG

TEG
Jul 18, 2006, 02:34 PM
Intel was a good choice for Apple because of two words: Road Map.

But don't knock the G4. Still awesome IMHO. Only way I am relinquishing my PowerBook G4 is if someone pries it from my cold dead hands. That, or it dies. Then I get an MBP or whatever Apple will be offering then :)

Yea, Because IBM was focusing on Core and the modified G5s for the Game Consoles. Plus, they couldn't make the G5 very power conservative or cool, and had no Intention on doing so.

And Steve went with Intel, because they made good Laptop and Consumer chips, while AMD made killer server chips. (But they did have consumer 64-bit.)

TEG

Moe
Jul 18, 2006, 02:35 PM
To me, this is a funny thread. It's how I felt when Apple abandoned the Motorola 68xxx series for the PowerPC. In fact, I kept mine operating for a number of years after that and never bought a PPC Mac. Now I'm back with Intel.

bbrosemer
Jul 18, 2006, 02:38 PM
To me, this is a funny thread. It's how I felt when Apple abandoned the Motorola 68xxx series for the PowerPC. In fact, I kept mine operating for a number of years after that and never bought a PPC Mac. Now I'm back with Intel.
My jump was the Motorola Quadra 610 to the 17'' MBP 25Mhz to 2.17 Ghz I noticed a small speed jump. ;)

Superlat
Jul 18, 2006, 04:58 PM
I've owned a PISMO since 2000. I want to upgrade, and I wont be getting a used G4 pbook because the benchmarks for rendering a Cinema 4dXL
on a 2.16 MBP are 1.07 vs 3.57 on a pbook 1.67. I'm no expert but that seems like no contest. I checked out my gf's bros G4 pbook and I thought it was hardly any faster than my pismo. So there ya go. Unfortunately the MBPs have issues that need to be ironed out. Guess I gotta wait.

G4 desktops with the dual-processors still kick ass though and are totally durable.
Those are worth getting just for workhorses, and they still arent that cheap, yet,
but soon. Plus, as much as I like OSX, I still cant get over my OS 9.1-9.2. SO MUCH
software for it fromt the past....and so devoid of some of the bs that envelopes you
in OSX. Totally transparent, versus schoolmarm OSX - though Tiger is a great improvement.

Obsidian6
Jul 18, 2006, 08:29 PM
Wow, I just took my powerbook into the apple store today to question about the banding issue on the display.

The genius i was working with said it was never recognized as a wide-spread problem, but i was very polite the whole time, and just explained how crucial it is for me to have a good screen ( i'm a photographer ) he agreed with me completely and took it in to have it replaced.

only thing is, theyre replacing the logic board too. Which i was surprised about, don't they usually just give you a new computer when the logic board goes out?

because my repair bill is $1564 ( or would have been that much if i didnt have a warranty ) Seems to me like it would be cheaper for them just to give me a Macbook ;)