Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noaccess

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2005
Hi there,

I'd like to receive your feedback on this problem that I've always had with my iBook. The Superdrive... ugh.

Since the beginning it's been making these loud noises, but only when having to read certain DVDs. Apple DVDs in particular :(.

At first it was just noise, and I thought it's normal. But it's recently begun to scratch my discs. For instance, my iWork '05 DVD. After using the install disc for the first time, it was filled with all sorts of marks.

The second time I used it 15 mins. ago... The installer reported an error.
I recorded the sounds it made at the beginning of the install process, and attached a link to the file:
http://rapidshare.de/files/25926432/SuperDrive.mp3.html

Aside from all of this, the battery is at 86% of its original capacity after only 6 months. And the trackpad only works half of the time.

So, what do you think? Should I take it in for repair?
Even if it's a "duh" question, I'm asking because I live in eastern Europe, and service for my iBook may be hard to find or of lower quality.

I'd really appreciate your help. I've babied this lappy too much for it to act up now :(.

Many thanks.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
noaccess said:
Hi there,

I'd like to receive your feedback on this problem that I've always had with my iBook. The Superdrive... ugh.

Since the beginning it's been making these loud noises, but only when having to read certain DVDs. Apple DVDs in particular :(.

At first it was just noise, and I thought it's normal. But it's recently begun to scratch my discs. For instance, my iWork '05 DVD. After using the install disc for the first time, it was filled with all sorts of marks.

The second time I used it 15 mins. ago... The installer reported an error.
I recorded the sounds it made at the beginning of the install process, and attached a link to the file:
http://rapidshare.de/files/25926432/SuperDrive.mp3.html

Aside from all of this, the battery is at 86% of its original capacity after only 6 months. And the trackpad only works half of the time.

If its a bad optical drive, then don't use it. Tell them about your iWork DVD, too, they should replace that. As for being out in Eastern Europe, I feel bad for you.

BTW, with a bad trackpad, If there was an Apple Certified Tech in your vacinity, NOW would be the time to drop a 100gig or 120gig 7200rpm hard drive into your iBook because the whole topcase has to be replaced. I had this done on a 1.2ghz 14" ibook that was under warranty and I put a new hard drive and a new superdrive into the ibook at that time -- keeping everything under warranty. They owe you a new trackpad and new battery and new superdrive -- I would really try to find a place to take the machine in personally to do the work so you could upgrade while they fix it.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
noaccess said:
So, what do you think? Should I take it in for repair?
Even if it's a "duh" question, I'm asking because I live in eastern Europe, and service for my iBook may be hard to find or of lower quality.

I'd really appreciate your help. I've babied this lappy too much for it to act up now :(.

Many thanks.

Yes, I would advise taking it in for repair. It sounds like your SuperDrive needs to be replaced. :eek: :)

noaccess

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2005
Considering what you've told me, I'll be taking my iBook into repair. I've checked the local Apple website and it looks like the only place nearby where they sell macs is also an authorised service center. It'll maybe take them forever to fix it, but I'm willing to wait. I'll have them take a look at my AAPL In-ear headphones while they're at it.

I'll definitely look into upgrading to a better HD, I'm almost out of memory on my current drive (thanks for the tip!).

Again, thanks for your help California and dmw007. Made my decision making much easier :)

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
noaccess said:
Considering what you've told me, I'll be taking my iBook into repair. I've checked the local Apple website and it looks like the only place nearby where they sell macs is also an authorised service center. It'll maybe take them forever to fix it, but I'm willing to wait. I'll have them take a look at my AAPL In-ear headphones while they're at it.

I'll definitely look into upgrading to a better HD, I'm almost out of memory on my current drive (thanks for the tip!).

Again, thanks for your help California and dmw007. Made my decision making much easier :)

Hopefully they have your iBook repaired and returned to you in as little time as possible noaccess. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.