PDA

View Full Version : Nano to turn into iPhone?

netdog
Jul 16, 2006, 11:33 AM
According to a post on AI (http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=64885&highlight=phone+nano), somebody found all sorts of apparent phone extensions in the latest Nano updater (Firmware-14.5.2).  I don't have the skills to verify or debunk this, but the post seems legit.  How great would this be?

PlaceofDis
Jul 16, 2006, 11:34 AM
isn't the nano too small to be a phone realisticly?

ham_man
Jul 16, 2006, 11:41 AM
This does seem a bit suspicious...

netdog
Jul 16, 2006, 11:49 AM
This does seem a bit suspicious...

I was hoping that there would be someone here who could have a look at this file and see if they find similar strings.

Yes, to add a phone, I am sure they would have to make the Nano bigger, but can believe that the Nano internals would be the guts for the music player in the phone.* Didn't Apple recently change chip suppliers?* Perhaps a merger with a phone is part of the reason?

Anyway, I am in way above my head here, but I know we have some really savvy techs at MR, so perhaps one of our trusted members can settle this.

JosiahPB
Jul 16, 2006, 01:17 PM
Sweeeeeeeeeeetttt!

Obsidian6
Jul 16, 2006, 01:21 PM
so thats why my nano periodically rings in my ears? man i thought it was defective!

In all seriousness though. That would be mighty cool if they made a nano phone.

shadowmoses
Jul 16, 2006, 01:32 PM
It seems very likely that this is going to happen hopefully it won't be a motorola/Nano combo but a real Apple all in one phone and iPod or at least a Apple Nano with phone capabilities via Motorola....Anyway we've got some real exciting products to come from Apple thats for sure!

ShadoW

Peace
Jul 16, 2006, 01:51 PM
I took a quick glance through the Firmware 14.5.2 for the iPod and did find this string.Whatever it means :

PhoneSignalStrength

EvilBeans
Jul 16, 2006, 01:56 PM
I gotta admit, if true, this would be really hot. Combine this with the touchscreen rumors and a lot of things start to fall into place (could be kinda hard to dial with just a click wheel, then again it's just another take on the rotary-dial of old, hmmmmmmm.......)

Anyway, this makes tons more sense to me than trying to cram music features to cell phone. The trick is to make it available across the different phone services and avoid having to distribute separate models for the different cell carriers. I still don't understand why I can't use whatever phone I want with whatever network I want. If Apple can help change all that, then more power to them.

Felldownthewell
Jul 16, 2006, 02:22 PM
This is odd, because last night (I am not making this up) I had a dream where for some reason everyone had a nano. At one point in my dream, everyone had to hand in their nano because we were in a top secret location and it was thought that someone's nano was a phone. Then someone pulled our their nano phone ( :eek: ) and tried to call someone. He was tackled by men in black suits (who must have come out of the walls or something because they definatley weren't there before). Then I woke up and saw this post. I realize that it means absolutely nothing, but still, it freaked me out a bit. :o

mulze22
Jul 16, 2006, 04:43 PM
Another thing I guess to ponder is if they introduce an add-on like Nike+. I know it sounds crazy but maybe. God, I am definitely buying a Nano if it is a phone.

balamw
Jul 16, 2006, 07:13 PM
Another thing I guess to ponder is if they introduce an add-on like Nike+. I know it sounds crazy but maybe. God, I am definitely buying a Nano if it is a phone.
Yeah, the FM radio and Nike add-ons seem to set a precedent...

B

celebrian23
Jul 16, 2006, 07:20 PM
I could care less. Apple of course always pairs with the phones I can't afford :mad:

PlaceofDis
Jul 16, 2006, 07:21 PM
I could care less. Apple of course always pairs with the phones I can't afford :mad:

couldn't care less i think you mean.

celebrian23
Jul 16, 2006, 07:24 PM
yeah that's what i meant :p lol :p

ToastMaster
Jul 18, 2006, 01:21 AM
Sweeeeeeeeeeetttt!

Yeah, that about covers it.

ghall
Jul 18, 2006, 11:49 AM
PhoneCallModel\0\0A\0\0\0è
pè
*\0\0\0oQ\0\0\0Hè
,û \0\0\0\0Dê
\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0return\0d\0t\0

Edit: Grr, what the hell is wrong with this?
Well, anyway, there was some referance to PhoneCallMode and PhoneCallHistory.
Highly suspicious.