PDA

View Full Version : MB Power Brick Noises?

brofkand
Jul 16, 2006, 03:42 PM
My MacBook's power brick is making weird noises. When it's plugged in, it gets pretty warm, but so have all of my other power bricks, so I know this is normal. But, it makes really weird hissing and cracking noises, similar to a radio station in a car that's nothing but static. Is this normal? It isn't audible unless I hold it right to my ear. Otherwise, my MacBook is excellent; no mooing, no anomalies. Thanks!

ashley
Jul 16, 2006, 05:36 PM
I have the same problem, and have found threads from a couple of other people on the forum who've had the same issue - from what I can tell it's not normal.

My MB is pretty much silent when I'm working on it, but when I plug in the power cord I can hear a pretty loud "buzzing" noise, which gets louder when I hold up the power brick - which is also hot to the touch (nothing too weird there though).

FWIW, I called Applecare and they're sending out a new one.

Good luck!

xfiftyfour
Jul 16, 2006, 06:27 PM
i'd guess that it's not normal - mine is silent.

dmw007
Jul 16, 2006, 06:53 PM
This most certainly does not seem like a normal thing to have happen brofkand, perhaps it is time to contact Apple for a replacement. :o :)

brofkand
Jul 17, 2006, 12:20 AM
the thing that makes noise is the power brick, not the laptop itself. The laptop is virtually silent, but if it's plugged into the A/C adapter, the brick portion of the adapter makes the "white noise" sounds. So, I guess I'll call Apple about a replacement. Do you think it may have affected my battery, or any other part of my laptop too?

disconap
Jul 17, 2006, 08:18 PM
Mine does that (ibook G4 brick). I just ignore it.