Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Selenolycus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I curently have an iBook G4 14" 1.42ghz and want to upgrade my RAM. I saw on Crucial.com 512 is $68, and 1ghz is $160. I'd really like to get a gig, but $160 seems a bit steep.

I looked at the RAM they sold, and it showed the following specs:

DDR PC2700 • CL=2.5 • UNBUFFERED • NON-ECC • DDR333 • 2.5V • 128Meg x 64

So now I have two questions:

1. Are these the only speficaitons I need to be looking at when purchasing RAM?
2. Does anyone know a place online I could buy iBook compatible RAM for cheap? By cheap I mean $120 or less.

Thanks in advance.

jocool5

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2005
Minnesota
Esenthiel said:
So now I have two questions:

1. Are these the only speficaitons I need to be looking at when purchasing RAM?
2. Does anyone know a place online I could buy iBook compatible RAM for cheap? By cheap I mean $120 or less.

Thanks in advance.
I use Newegg.com they tend to have the best prices online, but the local shops tend to match, 10% less than the price I find and give me the instalation free(not that I can't but they are apple certified and I have applecare). When making the purchace maksure the ram is NON-ECC registered, and the lower the CAS time the better.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Don't buy from Crucial...they're overpriced.

I trust OWC and DMS with my RAM purchases. Both come highly recommended by lots of people here at MR. You can get a 1 GB module for your iBook from them for $113-$118...just use their online "wizards" to find the right RAM for your machine.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
At OWC, click on "Memory," then "iBook G3/G4." Your model is the very last one in the list. Here is the direct link to the right page.

Selenolycus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
WildCowboy said:
At OWC, click on "Memory," then "iBook G3/G4." Your model is the very last one in the list. Here is the direct link to the right page.

D'oh! All I saw was that the processor speed max was lower than my own. thanks.

Also, hate to be such a bother, but could someone tell me if these two would work, at least in theory?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820208015
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820141209

Again, thanks for the help.

Edit: Reading the reviews I found that someone else with an iBook 1.42ghz has tried the top one I linked to and it works fine.

Thanks for the quick responses. Two communities I have found to be extremely resourceful and friendly have been the Mac and Ubuntu communities... not to knock Windows users or anything, of course. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.