PDA

View Full Version : Cruise pix

nickelbackmac
Jul 18, 2006, 10:58 PM
Hey guys, finally figured out how to post pix here. For those of you that have been on a cruise (like Carnival, Royal Caribbean, etc), port your vacation pix here. Here's some of mine:

Well, I exceeded my limit so I'll post some more later.

killuminati
Jul 18, 2006, 11:12 PM
Cruises are the bomb. By far the easiest and funnest vacation ever. We don't even take cruises for the places anymore, we just go to be on the ship and take a break. This is a pic from a cruise I took to Alaska, last year. We've done that trip 3 times :eek:

Out of all the lines I've travelled, I'd say Celebrity is the best. I think they have the nicest ships, good food, and most importantly the best staff.

nickelbackmac
Jul 18, 2006, 11:17 PM
Cruises are the bomb. By far the easiest and funnest vacation ever. We don't even take cruises for the places anymore, we just go to be on the ship and take a break. This is a pic from a cruise I took to Alaska, last year. We've done that trip 3 times :eek:

Out of all the lines I've travelled, I'd say Celebrity is the best. I think they have the nicest ships, good food, and most importantly the best staff.

Yes, I LOVE to cruise. I use Carnival mostly, but my first Royal Caribbean cruise is now booked for Spring Break '07 on the Freedom of the Seas with my wife and 2 kids.

killuminati
Jul 18, 2006, 11:31 PM
Yes, I LOVE to cruise. I use Carnival mostly, but my first Royal Caribbean cruise is now booked for Spring Break '07 on the Freedom of the Seas with my wife and 2 kids.

I'm sure you'll have an awesome time. I took the Rhapsody of the Seas down to Mexico a few years ago and it was great. RC is a great line for kids, they have great facilities and activities.

You're never gonna wanna go on a Carnival cruise again though ;)

thedude110
Jul 18, 2006, 11:51 PM
You're never gonna wanna go on a Carnival cruise again though ;)

Curious as to why you'd say so. Went on my first cruise a couple of weeks ago with Princess (a Carnival line -- full of old people in ball gowns, apparently) and had a really good time. I've since been told that other cruise lines are much more laid back -- no assigned eating times, no "formal nights," etc. (which sounds great to me). I've heard good things about Norwegian?

Anyway, do tell more about your experiences and what's made good and "bad" cruises.

killuminati
Jul 19, 2006, 12:32 AM
Well, one thing I dislike about Carnival cruises are the people (both staff and...cruisers [don't know what they're called]). I'm not really sure how I should describe the people so I won't try.

The staff I found not to be very professional. On other lines I've been on they make you feel like you're the only people they'll be dealing with all the season. I can remember one cruise where everybody from the cleaning lady to my waiter was amazing. The staff really make a big difference.

I've never been on Norwegian but from what I've heard they are pretty good. Holland America is another great line, very elegant, beautiful ships.

macsrockmysocks
Jul 19, 2006, 01:12 AM

I find Royal Caribbean to be a really good line. I went on my first cruise on the Mariner of the Seas. Absolute beautiful ship! Everything was wonderful on it. Then, I went on The Carnival Conquest. I hated it. Service sucked, food was nnot all that great, and the ship was not attractive to me at all. Royal Caribbean does make you not want to go on Carnival again.

Anyway, how much did it cost to go on the Freedom of the Seas? We are dying to go on it during Summer '07.

nickelbackmac
Jul 19, 2006, 08:18 AM
Oh man, it was about 4-5 grand, but I hear its worth it, with its waterpark rock climb, ice skating rink, and more. I agree with killuminati, Carnival cruises aren't good. The picture that I posted was from Spring Break '06 was the worst ever! For instance, at the start, my son dropped my dig. camera in one of them photo development booths, thinking he was trying to help and get our pix developed (he's only 2, you can't blame him) so I asked the staff if they could help getting it out and they actually said, "It's your fault, and it's your problem. Sorry, I have better things to do." I don't think I will EVER forget that. Also, our housekeeper/room person was rude. We had a penthouse suite, and there's a private balcony for it (and the oceanview w/ balcony rooms). Well, he took our chairs that they give you to sit and look at the ocean, so people that had opened up their balconies (it must have been a party group or something) could have chairs! We had to sit on the floor or stand on our balcony the rest of the cruise. I am NEVER sailing with them again.

benthewraith
Jul 19, 2006, 10:55 AM

I disagree. I think Costa's the best.

Hmm, I have an entire section that I'll be posting soon, so...(virtually every pic that survived the virus that got on my old lappie in March while wirelessly networked in Mexico.

benthewraith
Jul 19, 2006, 10:57 AM
Well, one thing I dislike about Carnival cruises are the people (both staff and...cruisers [don't know what they're called]). I'm not really sure how I should describe the people so I won't try.

The staff I found not to be very professional. On other lines I've been on they make you feel like you're the only people they'll be dealing with all the season. I can remember one cruise where everybody from the cleaning lady to my waiter was amazing. The staff really make a big difference.

I've never been on Norwegian but from what I've heard they are pretty good. Holland America is another great line, very elegant, beautiful ships.

Princess
Norwegian
Holland America
Costa (great, great, GREAT food)
Royal Carribbean
I've also heard Crystal was good too

pilotError
Jul 19, 2006, 01:08 PM
I've been on quite a few now.

So Far My Order of Preference is:

Royal Carribean
Princess / Disney - tied
Carnival

Royal Carribean was always a class act. Great Service, Great food, great itenerary. Pretty laid back.

Princess was pretty nice (took the mediteranian cruise), food was acceptable, crew was great. Great ports of call!

Disney - Food was just OK, fantastic everything else though. The Disney theme is far from being overwhelming and the kids had a great time. Decent Itenerary.

Carnival - Well... Its cheap! Went on an off week and the kids had a great time in the Camp Carnival. Pools are small. Service is lacking (waiter actually got my order wrong one night and didn't even ask for my order the next night). Food was Average at best. The Camp counselors told me they were expecting 1450 kids on one of the school holidays. We had on the order of 140 kids on the entire ship and the pools were full. I feel sorry for anyone who went during the busy weeks. They have a slide! LOL

lu0s3r322
Jul 19, 2006, 01:28 PM
Royal Caribbean is by far the best cruise line out there. I took two cruises to the caribbean with Royal Caribbean and they were amazing. Then i took one to alaska on norweign cruise line, omg, by far the absolute WORST vacation ever. First of all, the only point of going on alaskan cruises is to see glacier bay right? So the day before we were to go to glacier bay the captain comes onto the speaker system and says some sh** about how one of the navigating engines or something is leaking some stuff and we cant go to glacier bay because of environmental reasons. their ships are poorly built, they suck. second, i was eating dinner one night, some average pasta and i bite down and i feel something sharp. immeadiately i spit everything out and what do i see? a 1-inch piece of aluminum from i guess it was a can or something but it could have severly cut my tongue. they head of the dining room comes and asks for my room #. I think they would give some kind of sympathy gift right? NOTHING!

Lau
Jul 19, 2006, 01:34 PM
Ooh, my best friend's an engineer on Royal Carribean and Holland America. Be nice to the staff, especially if they're blonde girls, 'cause it might be my pal. :)

nickelbackmac
Jul 19, 2006, 01:38 PM
Royal Caribbean is by far the best cruise line out there. I took two cruises to the caribbean with Royal Caribbean and they were amazing. Then i took one to alaska on norweign cruise line, omg, by far the absolute WORST vacation ever. First of all, the only point of going on alaskan cruises is to see glacier bay right? So the day before we were to go to glacier bay the captain comes onto the speaker system and says some sh** about how one of the navigating engines or something is leaking some stuff and we cant go to glacier bay because of environmental reasons. their ships are poorly built, they suck. second, i was eating dinner one night, some average pasta and i bite down and i feel something sharp. immeadiately i spit everything out and what do i see? a 1-inch piece of aluminum from i guess it was a can or something but it could have severly cut my tongue. they head of the dining room comes and asks for my room #. I think they would give some kind of sympathy gift right? NOTHING!

I heard that all of the suicides on cruise ships seem to be on Norwegian Cruise Lines. The only time they were nice was when Donald Trump sailed with the cast of "The Apprentice" for 12 days on the Norwegian Jewel.

benthewraith
Jul 19, 2006, 02:15 PM
Hey guys, finally figured out how to post pix here. For those of you that have been on a cruise (like Carnival, Royal Caribbean, etc), port your vacation pix here. Here's some of mine:

Well, I exceeded my limit so I'll post some more later.

Just out of curiosity, did you go out of Ft. Lauderdale or Miami. Maybe Cape Canaveral.

nickelbackmac
Jul 19, 2006, 02:36 PM
Just out of curiosity, did you go out of Ft. Lauderdale or Miami. Maybe Cape Canaveral.

If you mean the one in the picture, the Carnival Glory, I left from Port (or Cape) Canaveral

devilot
Jul 19, 2006, 02:46 PM
I've been on two Carnival (one to the Bahamas, one to Mexico)
I think two Princess

And just recently... Louis Cruise lines to some of the Greek islands.

Princess is BY FAR, the nicest cruise I have ever been on (my parents agree and they've been on more cruises). Carnival is a bit too large and inundated w/ kids and families to be relaxing or fun...

Princess' ships are typically a little bit smaller, quieter, and immaculate inside along w/ superb service (and food :D).

Louis Cruise lines? Don't EVER EVER EVER take it unless you have absolutely no other way possible to travel. Ugh. The no-smoking-in-any-cabin rule? A joke. My sister and I would leave our smoke-free cabin, come back to have it "cleaned" by the steward, and open the door to a cabin-filled w/ smoke. Delightful. :rolleyes: Our first time in the cabin, they hadn't even changed out the drinking glasses (someone's used glass w/ liquid inside of it was still there)! They didn't change the towels, other towels would completly disappear... etc. etc. etc. The food was abysmal. Unless you'd like some food poisoning. We traveled w/ a group of approximately 38 people and some of them got food poisoning. Ugh. Avoid Louis Cruise lines.

But yes. I <3 Princess.

killuminati
Jul 19, 2006, 02:55 PM
Be nice to the staff, especially if they're blonde girls, 'cause it might be my pal. :)

I am, but for other reasons :p

lu0s3r322
Jul 19, 2006, 04:33 PM
some pix from my horrible norweign cruise

benthewraith
Jul 19, 2006, 07:26 PM
The first image is the image of the ship we were on, the Costa Mediterranea, the second image is an image of our waiter, Carlos de torre, who btw, hooked us up with second and third dinners (we got three platefuls of lobster :D), and the third was while we were tendering over from the ship to the shore because the dock was ruined during Hurricane Rita. The image was taken in Grand Cayman Island. The last is a picture of me. I'm a germophobe, and I was in Jamaica, what bothered me was everyone around smelled like hemp. :(

iBlue
Jul 19, 2006, 07:45 PM
... The last is a picture of me. I'm a germophobe, and I was in Jamaica, what bothered me was everyone around smelled like hemp. :(

Hemp (and or the smell of it) is not synonymous with germs. :confused:

on topic...

I was on a Pricess cruise many years back, I thought it was a really posh set up. I have nothing to compare it to however, haven't done it since.

rkolsen
Jul 19, 2006, 07:46 PM
I wish I could go on a cruise, except that my father, has helped the US get millions of dollars in fines. He even was the one that prevented a cruise line from leaving port, because of numerous violations.

benthewraith
Jul 19, 2006, 08:05 PM
I wish I could go on a cruise, except that my father, has helped the US get millions of dollars in fines. He even was the one that prevented a cruise line from leaving port, because of numerous violations.

So your father would rather not go on any cruise? The second one isn't that surprising. They should be prevented if they are recklessly violating the law. What, because they're a big fancy ship with thousands of passengers means they should do whatever they like.

They made the decision, they paid the price.

rkolsen
Jul 19, 2006, 08:19 PM
So your father would rather not go on any cruise? The second one isn't that surprising. They should be prevented if they are recklessly violating the law. What, because they're a big fancy ship with thousands of passengers means they should do whatever they like.

They made the decision, they paid the price.
We would like to go, except we aren't sure if we would be treated well. :)

CompUser
Jul 19, 2006, 08:28 PM
I went on a Norwegian Cruise Line cruise to Bermuda. The food was fine, the boat (NCL Majesty) was fine, and besides the comedian (he was not funny at all) the entertainment was good. I was a little upset that I was like one of the only kids on the boat though. It was mostly old people and grossly overweight middle aged people.

njmac
Jul 19, 2006, 08:32 PM
some pix from my horrible norweign cruise

ahhahahahahah..:D Man, oh man is that picture with the cake and the outline of the cocoa powder around the fork is so terrible but damn that is funny. I can't even imagine how I would feel if someone brought that to me. Maybe its because I'm a cook and can't image a plate going out like that, but I can't stop laughing :D

http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=53046&d=1153344646

benthewraith
Jul 19, 2006, 08:32 PM
We would like to go, except we aren't sure if we would be treated well. :)

Just don't go on the line that your father prevented from leaving port. :)

lu0s3r322
Jul 19, 2006, 08:36 PM
i think the fork thing was supposed to be there? even if i was on purpose, not a very good idea. the hearts on the cake were nice.

njmac
Jul 19, 2006, 08:40 PM
i think the fork thing was supposed to be there? even if i was on purpose, not a very good idea. the hearts on the cake were nice.

If that was on purpose... that was a really BAD idea. The fork looks like it was on the plate, the plate got powdered with the fork by accident then they took the fork off. I can't imagine a pastry chef could think that was a good idea. :confused:

If it was a heart on the plate then ok, but a fork? :D

Lau
Jul 19, 2006, 08:42 PM
I assumed the diner had removed the fork themselves before taking the photo...:confused:

njmac
Jul 19, 2006, 08:44 PM
I assumed the diner had removed the fork themselves before taking the photo...:confused:

That could be, I've never been served a dessert with the fork on the plate. I'm sure its not that funny, but it just struck me as wrong the instant I saw it :)

benthewraith
Jul 19, 2006, 08:52 PM
ahhahahahahah..:D Man, oh man is that picture with the cake and the outline of the cocoa powder around the fork is so terrible but damn that is funny. I can't even imagine how I would feel if someone brought that to me. Maybe its because I'm a cook and can't image a plate going out like that, but I can't stop laughing :D

http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=53046&d=1153344646

Wow...talk about bland. First off, that plate is WAY to big for that piece of cake. Second off, if they were going to use that big a plate, at least they could have decorated it a bit. Maybe add a little fruit on the side or something. Maybe a little bit of whipped cream too. :rolleyes:

Also, why the frak do they have white tablecloth? This beyond anything strikes me as odd. And the fork shouldn't come with dessert. The forks provided are enough to go through the meals, and if you give all your forks away, you politely ask for another fork.

rkolsen
Jul 19, 2006, 09:42 PM
Just don't go on the line that your father prevented from leaving port. :)
Its a major cruise line, that operates tons of other cruise lines. Not naming names here :)

lu0s3r322
Jul 19, 2006, 09:44 PM
yep they give you all the utensils before you start eating.
more food pics, these were taken with a camcorder, i have no idea what they are:

benthewraith
Jul 19, 2006, 09:48 PM
yep they give you all the utensils before you start eating.
more food pics, these were taken with a camcorder, i have no idea what they are:

Those don't look too bad, but they still are using incredibly large plates. :eek:

benthewraith
Jul 19, 2006, 09:50 PM
Its a major cruise line, that operates tons of other cruise lines. Not naming names here :)

Doesn't mean anything. And you have every right to name those companies, if you so chose to do so. By owning other cruise lines, I take it you are referring to Carnival and subsidiaries (just a guess).

The captain more than likely will not even know who you are, just so long as it's not the ship that your father stopped. :)

njmac
Jul 20, 2006, 10:05 AM
I cruised the Mediterranean on board orient lines (http://www.orientlines.com/) Crown Odyssey. The ship is fairly small and probably a little out dated compared to the big ships but it was clean and the Filipino staff was fantastic. They were so polite and friendly, they went out of their way for the passengers.

I liked the itinerary but I wish that we had taken a 5-6 day cruise as opposed to a 14 day cruise.

This cruise was 6 years ago, so I'll post pictures once they're scanned in.

CubaTBird
Jul 20, 2006, 10:22 AM
Best.. Cruise.. Ever..

http://www.davekozcruise.com/

rkolsen
Jul 20, 2006, 12:10 PM
Doesn't mean anything. And you have every right to name those companies, if you so chose to do so. By owning other cruise lines, I take it you are referring to Carnival and subsidiaries (just a guess).

The captain more than likely will not even know who you are, just so long as it's not the ship that your father stopped. :)
The ship he stopped, was transfered to another line with in Carnival, and now I believe it is in some ship breaking yard in India, not positive. Though the higher level executives @ Carnival know who he is.

EDIT: Actually the one he stopped, was the SS Norway. Though he has done work with Carnival ships.

benthewraith
Jul 20, 2006, 12:36 PM
The ship he stopped, was transfered to another line with in Carnival, and now I believe it is in some ship breaking yard in India, not positive. Though the higher level executives @ Carnival know who he is.

EDIT: Actually the one he stopped, was the SS Norway. Though he has done work with Carnival ships.

So go with Royal Carribbean, they are in no way affiliated with Carnival. ;)

killuminati
Jul 20, 2006, 02:59 PM
Right now I'm trying to convice my grandfather to take the whole family on the Celebrity Xpedition (http://www.celebritycruises.com/plancruise/ships/ship.do;jsessionid=0000pcHyY6etv3Gbutg0HxhmnBp:1028etqv2?shipCode=XP&cS=SIDENAV). It cruises through the Galapagos islands and it's a very small ship. Only 94 people max! So basically if we did it, it would be a cruise just for our family. It's almost a 1:1 passenger to crew ratio!

It just sounds so amazing.

benthewraith
Jul 20, 2006, 04:40 PM
Right now I'm trying to convice my grandfather to take the whole family on the Celebrity Xpedition (http://www.celebritycruises.com/plancruise/ships/ship.do;jsessionid=0000pcHyY6etv3Gbutg0HxhmnBp:1028etqv2?shipCode=XP&cS=SIDENAV). It cruises through the Galapagos islands and it's a very small ship. Only 94 people max! So basically if we did it, it would be a cruise just for our family. It's almost a 1:1 passenger to crew ratio!

It just sounds so amazing.

Why don't you just go on Yachts of Seabourne. Would probably be the same price, and much nicer.

nickelbackmac
Jul 21, 2006, 10:03 AM
My kids love Carnival, the oldest one was 12 and the youngest was 11. When they met the waiter and assistant waitress, they did fun stuff with them. Almost every night the waiters/waitresses would dim the lights, activate the pparty lights, and start playing catchy music. Then they would dance until they'd fall! Oh man it was hilarious but altogether fun. I have it recorded on my RAZR and I could probably post it here if someone tells me how.

Does Royal Caribbean do anything of that sort? I heard they are good for family, and I will find out next March on the Freedom of the Seas.

benthewraith
Jul 21, 2006, 10:10 AM
My kids love Carnival, the oldest one was 12 and the youngest was 11. When they met the waiter and assistant waitress, they did fun stuff with them. Almost every night the waiters/waitresses would dim the lights, activate the pparty lights, and start playing catchy music. Then they would dance until they'd fall! Oh man it was hilarious but altogether fun. I have it recorded on my RAZR and I could probably post it here if someone tells me how.

Does Royal Caribbean do anything of that sort? I heard they are good for family, and I will find out next March on the Freedom of the Seas.

Can't remember Royal, the last time I've been on was in the summer between fifth and sixth grade...which was about ten years ago.

I know Costa does that. We have two formal nights, quite a few regular nights, and then on occasion we'd have tropical night and toga night. Captain's night was awesome, and tropical night was just wild. A whole bunch of people got up on the Captain's table and started dancing. It was fun....too bad they broke the table though.

iShane
Jul 21, 2006, 01:35 PM

I have the RAZR and I just send a message to my email address with the video in it.

menziep
Jul 21, 2006, 02:49 PM
heres one of the best cruises ive ever been on : Ocean Village

http://static.flickr.com/62/194858417_9c0eecb748.jpg

nickelbackmac
Jul 21, 2006, 05:54 PM
heres one of the best cruises ive ever been on : Ocean Village

http://static.flickr.com/62/194858417_9c0eecb748.jpg

Oooh where does it leave from??

menziep
Jul 29, 2006, 06:54 AM
Oooh where does it leave from??