PDA

View Full Version : 'Mid 2006' iMac Revision?

MacRumors
Jul 19, 2006, 09:10 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

A couple of industrious readers have noticed that Apple's iMac support site (http://www.apple.com/support/manuals/imac/) was recently updated to include a product manual for a "Mid 2006" iMac. The manual does not appear to differ much, if at all from the current iMac manual, and does not list any specifications. The current iMac was introduced at Macworld San Francisco (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/01/20060110142730.shtml) in January of this year.

Recent rumors/speculation (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/07/20060711225142.shtml) has indicated that Apple may employ Intel's Conroe chip after it arrives later this month in the iMac. Other possibilities remain that Apple could update the iMac with "Merom" chips that require minimum motherboard redesign by Apple.

Update: Looks like we got ahead of ourselves. The manual is most likely for iMac for Education. Sorry for any missed heartbeats.

Digg This (http://digg.com/apple/Mid_2006_iMac_Revision_Coming_Soon)

daneoni
Jul 19, 2006, 09:12 AM
Sweet i guess we'll be seeing a quiet conroe revision imac soon

baxterbrittle
Jul 19, 2006, 09:12 AM
Could be quite interesting. Merom maybe?

yankeefan24
Jul 19, 2006, 09:15 AM
I always thought that was meant for the edu iMac, but it could mean a new one soon.

EDIT 2: MY BAD! I thought for a minute that the edu iMac's didn't have an iSight. It's the remote they don't have. :o :o :o

daneoni
Jul 19, 2006, 09:16 AM
I thought merom would be a swappable chip requiring an EFI/BIOS update only. If there is a revision to the MLB. I'd guess they'd use Conroe...i think its more logical with the merom chips going into the minis

baxterbrittle
Jul 19, 2006, 09:16 AM
Just had a look art the parts list thesre include:

80GB HDD and Combo Drive - This is a manual for the EDU iMac not a new revision. Makes sense.

skoker
Jul 19, 2006, 09:17 AM
It's for the Education iMac revision.

der!

thejadedmonkey
Jul 19, 2006, 09:17 AM
Yeah, but now that we don't have the PPC chips to diferentiate the different models, are we jsut going to have the iMac, mid 2006 model, iMac mid 2026 model, etc etc?:confused:

Postal
Jul 19, 2006, 09:18 AM
That's some odd wording: "recent rumors/speculation has indicated that Apple may employ Intel's Conroe chip after it arrives later in the iMac."

Isn't the whole point of the rumour that Conroe might show up in the iMac? Also, I'd say "rumours and speculation have indicated." It's just better English. :)

baxterbrittle
Jul 19, 2006, 09:20 AM
Yeah, but now that we don't have the PPC chips to diferentiate the different models, are we jsut going to have the iMac, mid 2006 model, iMac mid 2026 model, etc etc?:confused:

That's pretty much how they've always been done. iMac Summer 2000, Mac mini Late 2005 etc...

mingisback
Jul 19, 2006, 09:21 AM
Hopefully Merom. I've heard that Yohna and Merom use the same socket and are swapable.. if this is true it would be an easy upgrade for current owners of the iMac and Mac mini. :)

jholzner
I always thought that was meant for the edu iMac, but it could mean a new one soon.

EDIT: reading through the manual, it shows an iSight so it is probably not the edu. I am reading through it now and will report anything interesting to you.

The Edu iMac has an iSight too.

kevin.rivers

EDIT: reading through the manual, it shows an iSight so it is probably not the edu. I am reading through it now and will report anything interesting to you.

Didn't the edu have an isight...:confused:

mkaake
Jul 19, 2006, 09:23 AM
Nothing in the manual *at all* to help figure it out. The only screen of system prefs said it was a 1.83 core due (pg 63)... but it could be an old screen shot, eh?

danman
Jul 19, 2006, 09:23 AM
...i am waiting.

I am hoping for a minor GPU Bump too. 'part from that, I got the cash waiting!

WildCowboy
Jul 19, 2006, 09:25 AM
It's obviously the EDU model. It doesn't include the Apple Remote, as illustrated in the diagram showing what's in the box. The section regarding the remote says "If you have an Apple remote..." while the same section in the old iMac manual says "Your Apple remote..."

baxterbrittle
Jul 19, 2006, 09:25 AM
It's definatly the EDU iMac they wouldn't offer a Combo on an iMac or an 80GB HDD again. Also there is only a 17" no 20".

p0intblank
Jul 19, 2006, 09:32 AM
Damn, I got excited for this too. I voted the story Positive, the page refreshed, and then I saw the update. :( Oh well, there will be something at WWDC '06, we know that.

bigandy
Jul 19, 2006, 09:36 AM
soooo not news ;)

Arnaud
Jul 19, 2006, 09:36 AM
It (sadly) looks like the new version of the iMac EDU indeed (which also comes in 20", btw):
http://www.apple.com/education/imac/specs.html

Shhhh... I was already hoping for some exciting leaks... :(

WildCowboy
Jul 19, 2006, 09:44 AM
It (sadly) looks like the new version of the iMac EDU indeed (which also comes in 20", btw)

People are using "EDU" as shorthand for the "iMac for Education" which only comes in 17". The "EDU" you see on that page in the second and third columns is simply the educational pricing of the regular iMac models.

aafuss1
Jul 19, 2006, 10:28 AM
The service manual says it's the EDU model-wished that had a Sony style revision history, as when these are updated, Apple doesn't list any changes, unlike Sony's which does.

moot
Jul 19, 2006, 10:48 AM
Just to nail this on the head, check out this description of iMac.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301724

It shows you how to identify which iMac you have.

At the bottom of the page it says:

iMac (Mid 2006)
The iMac (Mid-2006) was introduced in July 2006. This computer has several features that distinguish it from the iMac (Early 2006):

A 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo processor with a 17-inch screen AND
Comes with the Intel GMA950 graphics processor using shared main memory.
Comes with a Combo drive (reads DVDs and CDs, writes CDs)
Does NOT come with built-in Bluetooth

That is definetly the iMac EDU model.

There are other indiactors on this page which have marketing model numbers for the iMac (Mid 2006). I bet they correspond to the iMac EDU.

I got excited for 30 seconds though. My cash has been waiting for the right moment.

moot
Jul 19, 2006, 10:59 AM
OK, checked the Marketing model number for the iMac EDU. I put one in my cart and it came up with this number "MA406LL/A"

That totally matches the info for the iMac (Mid 2006)

Marketing model number iMac model

MA406xx/A 17-inch iMac (Mid 2006), 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo

lOUDsCREAMEr
Jul 19, 2006, 11:23 AM
so obviously a false alarm, dude~~

thatz the iMac for Eductaion, formerly known as "eMac"

celebrian23
Jul 19, 2006, 11:27 AM
....this is really worthy of front page news :p

trainguy77
Jul 19, 2006, 11:32 AM
Guys, guys look at page 34. A remote? The education imac does not have a remote! So this is not the current education imac.

macnews
Jul 19, 2006, 11:32 AM
I love the missed heartbeats part! Luckily, I didn't catch this before the final edit, although my heart did skip one beat before I read the edit part.

Oh well, everyone can make mistakes - I have had my share!

celebrian23
Jul 19, 2006, 11:35 AM
Guys, guys look at page 34. A remote? The education imac does not have a remote! So this is not the current education imac.

I believe it's an optional add-on

Silentwave
Jul 19, 2006, 12:01 PM
I thought merom would be a swappable chip requiring an EFI/BIOS update only. If there is a revision to the MLB. I'd guess they'd use Conroe...i think its more logical with the merom chips going into the minis

The first Meroms will...but when it migrates to 800mt/s FSB next year, the chipset and socket will change. I think conroe might come at that point too.

WildCowboy
Jul 19, 2006, 12:06 PM

I covered this in post #16. The "if" is an important word. There are multiple ways to acquire an Apple remote...if you have one, it will work with the EDU iMac. But it doesn't come with one.

trainguy77
Jul 19, 2006, 12:31 PM
I covered this in post #16. The "if" is an important word. There are multiple ways to acquire an Apple remote...if you have one, it will work with the EDU iMac. But it doesn't come with one.
My mistake :)

FF_productions
Jul 19, 2006, 12:55 PM
I love the missed heartbeats part! Luckily, I didn't catch this before the final edit, although my heart did skip one beat before I read the edit part.

Same happened here. My heart dropped when they realized it was the Education iMac. The iMac's are due for another update though. I think the iMacs and the MacBook Pro's may get their well deserved speed bumps soon, the MacBook's are fast enough to last for many months to come.

amac4me
Jul 19, 2006, 01:00 PM
At some point this year, I expect Apple to release updates to both the iMac and MacBook Pro. My hunch is we'll see the announcements before October.

Here's my reasoning:

Apple will want to announce new models available prior to the holiday season; new models would be good marketing as it would create "buzz" heading into the busy holiday shopping season. Also, Apple calls the Intel based iMacs and MacBook Pros announced in January as "Early 2006" models. This simple naming scheme would likely mean that updates/revisions will be announced later this year.

Examples to show that Apple refers to the models as "early 2006" can be found at the following Firmware update links for the iMac (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/imacearly2006firmwareupdate101.html) and MacBook Pro (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macbookproearly2006firmwareupdate101.html).

electronboy
Jul 19, 2006, 01:13 PM
Is this the state of all things Macintosh? To over analyze each word in every publication and get ourselves worked up into a frenzy?

Wow.

kevin.rivers
Jul 19, 2006, 01:22 PM
Is this the state of all things Macintosh? To over analyze each word in every publication and get ourselves worked up into a frenzy?

Wow.

I prefer the wait and see model. While I am excited about new things. Until I hear Steve Jobs speak, I am not accepting anything.

Unorthodox
Jul 19, 2006, 01:24 PM

Wow.
Yes. That about sums it up.
Wouldn't have it any other way.

JackSYi
Jul 19, 2006, 01:25 PM
This is a no brainer. Merom is going to put intel back on top.

Moe
Jul 19, 2006, 01:34 PM

Wow.

Nah, it's just the continuing state of MacRumors. ;) Like watching cats jump when they're spooked.

nsjoker
Jul 19, 2006, 01:42 PM
we should start referring to this mac as the ieMac.

longofest
Jul 19, 2006, 01:46 PM
Nah, it's just the continuing state of MacRumors. ;) Like watching cats jump when they're spooked.

I'm frankly surprised that other sites haven't blogged us and said "silly Apple rumor sites." Yeah, I over-reacted when I saw the submissions come in and totally forgot that that was when the edu-iMac was released. Fortunately, the forum kept me straight, and we corrected the story within 15 minutes of posting.

Thought about just deleting the story and saving the shame and humiliation, but enough of you had already seen it that I had to leave it up... :o :eek: :)

exabytes18
Jul 19, 2006, 02:03 PM
This is a no brainer. Merom is going to put intel back on top.

I disagree with you there. Conroe and Woodcrest are the real ground breakers.

Look at what put AMD on top; the X2, FX, and the Opteron. The Merom has nothing on those chips. Conroe can take on the X2 and FX while Woodcrest takes the Opteron. If Intel chips are less expensive than AMD's and IBM's, all the more power to Intel. As for the lower TDP, that is just an added bonus.

iMikeT
Jul 19, 2006, 02:23 PM
Thanks for getting my hopes up.:(

Arnaud
Jul 19, 2006, 04:46 PM

Wow.

Well, 3 months ago, I couldn't consider waiting until the WWDC in August fo new products, so something HAD to happen before that. I was not the only one, you saw the buzz of the last 3 months - regarding MacPros, Video iPods, etc...

Now... Nothing happened in the last 3 months, and August is around the corner, I can wait a couple of weeks, so I DO consider as logical some big announcement at WWDC...

So... We DO over-analyze things, hoping they'll fit what we hope for... :D
Isn't frenzy a nice way to kill time ? :)

ppfournier
Jul 19, 2006, 08:01 PM
The manual reveals the differences to be these: There is a ComboDrive and not a SuperDrive. There is an Optical Digital Audio In (in addition to the optical digital adutio out on the Early 2006 nodel). There is no bluetooth. There is, however, built-in iSight, FrontRow and a Remote.

WildCowboy
Jul 19, 2006, 08:06 PM
The manual reveals the differences to be these: There is a ComboDrive and not a SuperDrive. There is an Optical Digital Audio In (in addition to the optical digital adutio out on the Early 2006 nodel). There is no bluetooth. There is, however, built-in iSight, FrontRow and a Remote.

There's no remote. The manual tells you how to use one with it, but you don't get the remote.

hedrick
Jul 21, 2006, 12:22 AM
While there are a few features missing, there is one additional feature: optical input. The normal iMac has optical output but not input. I assume this will be a feature on all new models of iMac, since it's hard to believe they would have introduced it just low end EDU model.

trainguy77
Jul 21, 2006, 12:53 AM
While there are a few features missing, there is one additional feature: optical input. The normal iMac has optical output but not input. I assume this will be a feature on all new models of iMac, since it's hard to believe they would have introduced it just low end EDU model.
The education macs don't have optical that i know of. Where did you see this? Its has an audio in but that is not optical

irn-chriz
Jul 24, 2006, 05:18 PM
I ordered a 20" iMac on the 19th of July (I had previously ordered an identical iMac on the 5th of july which was delivered on the 10th) the original expected delivery was the 24th of July, today this jumped to the 23rd of August. A whole month of a difference!!!!!

Now looking at the apple store (uk one) estimated ship for 20" imacs is now 5-7 days all other products are unchanged in the shipping times.

Seems a bit weird that the shipping has been extended by 4 weeks, normally a delay would only be a few weeks.

is anyone aware of a problem with the 20" displays that could explain this delay or could it be a processor upgrade?

trainguy77
Jul 24, 2006, 05:22 PM
Maybe it is because of a new revision of the imac?

WildCowboy
Jul 24, 2006, 05:23 PM
I ordered a 20" iMac on the 19th of July (I had previously ordered an identical iMac on the 5th of july which was delivered on the 10th) the original expected delivery was the 24th of July, today this jumped to the 23rd of August. A whole month of a difference!!!!!

Now looking at the apple store (uk one) estimated ship for 20" imacs is now 5-7 days all other products are unchanged in the shipping times.

Seems a bit weird that the shipping has been extended by 4 weeks, normally a delay would only be a few weeks.

is anyone aware of a problem with the 20" displays that could explain this delay or could it be a processor upgrade?

The 5-7 day shipping timeframe in the UK store is likely just the result of some sort of hiccup in their supply chain...the US store is still showing 24 hour availability.

Is the delayed one you've ordered custom configured or is it stock?