PDA

View Full Version : Trackpads on desktops?

icetraxxg5
Mar 8, 2003, 07:35 AM
I have an iBook right now and I really like to use the trackpad, I can use it more efficiently then a mouse. Is there a trackpad that is USB that can plug into a desktop on a Mac? I am going out to get the new 17' iMac later today and I really don't want to use a mouse, especially a one button mouse (I don't want to buy a 2 or 3 button mouse right now).

MetallicPenguin
Mar 8, 2003, 09:05 AM
nope can't say that I do

menoinjun
Mar 8, 2003, 09:22 AM
Yes there is. I'm sorry but I don't know the name of it, but CompUSA definitely sells some sort of usb track pad that has two buttons on it.

I can't see why on earth you'd be better at using that than a mouse, but to each his own.

-Pete

rainman::|:|
Mar 8, 2003, 11:11 AM
hey, glad to see another trackpad person... i know they used to make ADB trackpads, and i suppose you could get a USB -> ADB adaptor, but i don't know about drivers in X... if you can find the USB trackpad go for it...

personally i'm dying for a wireless trackpad, but i doubt they'll ever make one for me... *sigh*

pnw

icetraxxg5
Mar 8, 2003, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by paulwhannel
hey, glad to see another trackpad person... i know they used to make ADB trackpads, and i suppose you could get a USB -> ADB adaptor, but i don't know about drivers in X... if you can find the USB trackpad go for it...

personally i'm dying for a wireless trackpad, but i doubt they'll ever make one for me... *sigh*

pnw

That would be perfect! A wireless trackpad would be so much more useful then a wireless mouse since you could hold it and wont have to use it at a desk or surface; I wish something like this existed...

KingArthur
Mar 8, 2003, 01:06 PM
I can see where you are comming from liking track-pads, but I must say, for any gaming and such, I don't think you can beat a mouse. The precision is better with it and you just get better motion with it. That is just my feeling on the subject. Of course, with a mouse, you have to have some sort of flattish area (although with optical mice, which I think are heaven, you are able to work on a lot more surfaces).

Jaykay
Mar 8, 2003, 02:53 PM
I havent ever seen a "new" desktop trackpad for sale, oh well.

Ah those were the days..

My 20th Anniversary has trackpad that can sit into the keyboard or be used seperately. I hate it. Nice computer though.

LosJackal
Mar 8, 2003, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by icetraxxg5
I have an iBook right now and I really like to use the trackpad, I can use it more efficiently then a mouse. Is there a trackpad that is USB that can plug into a desktop on a Mac? I am going out to get the new 17' iMac later today and I really don't want to use a mouse, especially a one button mouse (I don't want to buy a 2 or 3 button mouse right now).

Yes, I know of one. I'd use it too, I think having it in my lap would be more ergonomic than using a mouse.

FingerWorks iGesture (http://www.fingerworks.com/igesture.html)

A complaint I've heard is that it is really expensive for what it is. I wish this mini-tablet coming from MacAlly were a trackpad instead:

MacAlly iceCAD (http://www.macally.com/spec/usb/input_device/icecad.html)