PDA

View Full Version : not again... the NEW iPhone

tjm
Jul 20, 2006, 03:24 AM
Hey,

I would like to post my design concept for appleīs new iPhone to get some crits and comments how to improve this concept.

The iPhone combines four gadgets. A portable music-player, a mobile, a pda and a digital camera. The main goals were to find a reduced design which fits perfect into your hand and to create an intuitive interface for all needs. Nearly the complete top of the iPhone is a touchscreen where you can easily navigate between the functions.
The oval display is something new, but I think this is already possible with OLED and it would be a great innovation for apple to be one of the first who produces this kind of displays....
I donīt wanted to create a mobile with any mechanical opening system. No slider or any flaps, because I believe in the simplicity of the form and appleīs philosophy of an intuitive use. Thereīs another advantage for this form, because similar to the iPodīs it is possible to create a wide range of any accessories, cases or anything else to protect the screen.
Of course there are two different kinds of users. Those who do not care about any scratches on their mobile and those who guard it jealously and will buy a perfect case for their iPhone.
I havenīt seen a usable case for sliders or any mobiles with flaps…..

Please let me know what you think of it….

pic 0 (http://www.parerga.com/iPhone_0.jpg)

pic 1 (http://www.parerga.com/iPhone_1.jpg)

pic 2 (http://www.parerga.com/iPhone_2.jpg)

@admin
I donīt know which forum I should post. So, if Iīm wrong please move this thread..

AlBDamned
Jul 20, 2006, 03:26 AM
Looks pretty cool. Very Star Trek though.

The idea of a multiple, virtual interface on a touch screen is something that could really work.

I'd be very, very scared of dropping that thing though.

Abstract
Jul 20, 2006, 04:47 AM
Wow, that's a great design. I dislike the number layout on the touchscreen, and I absolutely hate the idea of a keyboard, but it's still cool looking. ;)

ipacmm
Jul 20, 2006, 04:58 AM
I know I would buy this phone if it looked like this, really cool design.

p0intblank
Jul 20, 2006, 08:20 AM
Pic 2 makes it looks like it can double as a mouse. :)

Cool concept, though. While I don't think Apple will make it that flashy, I think it will be innovative in one way or another.

MacBook'06
Jul 20, 2006, 09:22 AM
too round....
but other than that a cool design, just doesnt scream out iPod, maybe make the virtual click wheel smaller:confused:

CubaTBird
Jul 20, 2006, 10:34 AM
Um, no. No offense .. If I were to use that with one hand, my right being my dominant, it would slip of my hand every time I would try to dial a number. It's too round.

someguy
Jul 20, 2006, 10:38 AM
Not that it matters for the competition or whatever, but are oval-shaped LCD's even possible? I've never seen any LCD that didn't have 4 straight sides.

EDIT: Nevermind. It's early here, so I skipped over reading the actual original post and just looked at the pictures. :D

lexus
Jul 20, 2006, 10:42 AM
That was made in March and I think I have seen it before, not too sure though.

poppe
Jul 20, 2006, 10:46 AM
That was made in March and I think I have seen it before, not too sure though.

This is an iPhone I just drew up today. I thought the iPod iPhone would always look something like that.

lexus
Jul 20, 2006, 02:54 PM
This is an iPhone I just drew up today. I thought the iPod iPhone would always look something like that.
Why is it a word document, is it safe?

Never trust Newbies.

p0intblank
Jul 20, 2006, 03:00 PM

Never trust Newbies.

I downloaded it. It's fine... and VERY detailed! ;)

Sorry. :(

CoMpX
Jul 20, 2006, 03:01 PM

Never trust Newbies.

It's safe. Not necessarily worth looking at, though.

JackSYi
Jul 20, 2006, 03:11 PM
Thats kinda cool. I would like it to be more square-shaped.

poppe
Jul 20, 2006, 03:18 PM
Thats kinda cool. I would like it to be more square-shaped.

Yeah sorry I was actually trying to get the 4 Key and the 6 key to be in the actually track wheel. But I could never get it to work. Sorry it was in word document. I'm no photoshop guy and paint wasn't working right. So word was the only way to do it.

lexus
Jul 20, 2006, 04:12 PM
Yeah sorry I was actually trying to get the 4 Key and the 6 key to be in the actually track wheel. But I could never get it to work. Sorry it was in word document. I'm no photoshop guy and paint wasn't working right. So word was the only way to do it.
MS PAINT????

poppe
Jul 20, 2006, 04:32 PM
MS PAINT????

Yeah Microsoft Paint. I dont have an Apple computer yet... I think I can add the cost of one with my student loans when school goes up and all, but I'll be waiting for Merom. Then I can get off windows...

solvs
Jul 20, 2006, 06:12 PM
too round....
My first thought as well. And apparently Cuba's. Nice concept, but I think the actual model (if there is such a thing) will resemble more of an iPod mini. I don't know, maybe we'll be completely surprised.

mjstew33
Jul 20, 2006, 07:24 PM
I kinda like it, I'd buy one. :)

mkrishnan
Jul 20, 2006, 07:47 PM
It's gorgeous. :) Doesn't look technologically feasible anytime in the near future, but still pretty. :)

genetechnics
Jul 24, 2006, 03:27 AM
Not that it matters for the competition or whatever, but are oval-shaped LCD's even possible? I've never seen any LCD that didn't have 4 straight sides.

EDIT: Nevermind. It's early here, so I skipped over reading the actual original post and just looked at the pictures. :D

I guess that OLED displays are more appropriate for this in terms of production process, and additionally, quality and power consuming.

Check out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OLED

"A second technology, developed by Cambridge Display Technologies or CDT, is called LEP or Light-Emitting Polymer, though these devices are better known as polymer light-emitting diodes (PLEDs). No vacuum is required, and the emissive materials can be applied on the substrate by a technique derived from commercial inkjet printing. This means that PLED displays can be made in a very flexible and inexpensive way."

Also this info:

An OLED display and touch screen system

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/7042444.html

pknz
Jul 24, 2006, 03:38 AM
Reminds me of the hockey puck mouse.

Abstract
Jul 24, 2006, 06:22 AM

Never trust Newbies.

I've seen Poppe around as often as I've seen you around. To me, you're just as newb as him, avatar or not.

mikes63737
Jul 24, 2006, 08:40 AM
I personally think it's great, but I'm not a big fan of that shape. Maybe your UI on a nano-like iPhone, kinda like this one I just did in Photoshop (sorry, it's really bad), except with your UI.

iShane
Jul 24, 2006, 09:30 AM
I personally think it's great, but I'm not a big fan of that shape. Maybe your UI on a nano-like iPhone, kinda like this one I just did in Photoshop (sorry, it's really bad), except with your UI.
Yours is my favorite. Maybe a little too long though.

thejadedmonkey
Jul 24, 2006, 09:36 AM
I like that a LOT. Apple needs to hire you to design their iPhone, nice work.

GilGrissom
Jul 24, 2006, 09:54 AM
That is a really really nice concept (for the OP). Reminds me of something of Men In Black or Star Gate, possibly Star Trek. It's a really nice concept idea. Good work!
I can never create anything like that!

The way I always saw the perfect iPod + phone controls would be RAZR-esque metal pad for buttons, maybe minus the rubber edges for the buttons, this would then be overlaid with the old fashioned 3G touch wheels which would be flexible so that you could still see the numbers/letters buttons underneath and push/click them when needed, otherwise you could just rest your finger on it and scroll just like the old 3G iPods. Probably never work but that's just how I always saw it. Don't ask me what my ideal case design would be though!

mikes63737
Jul 24, 2006, 12:11 PM
Ya know what I just thought of? How do you listen to who is calling? Almost none of the mockups had a speaker on them...

poppe
Jul 24, 2006, 12:17 PM
I've seen Poppe around as often as I've seen you around. To me, you're just as newb as him, avatar or not.

You know I was wondering why I was being called a Newb, I just figured it said Newb somewhere that I didn't know about yet... But I was surprised since i've been Posting everyday since begging/middle of May - I think.

Ya know what I just thought of? How do you listen to who is calling? Almost none of the mockups had a speaker on them...

I was just posting the Keypad/Scroll Wheel because I couldn't make it fit right using Microsoft Word. But It would have been above the screen Like a regular phone and the Mic at the bottom.

GilGrissom
Jul 24, 2006, 12:35 PM
Good point!

Cerebral inplant?

Part of the upcoming iBrain!

tjm
Jul 28, 2006, 09:18 AM
hi,

I just reflect about the usability of my iPhone with just one hand and I thought that is a good idea to use the numeric pad as basic, because the numbers position is very intuitive.
and for quick messaging it is also important to write with just one hand. so I designed two new menus....
new menu (http://www.parerga.com/concept_iphone/iPhone_4.jpg)

bowens
Jul 28, 2006, 12:50 PM
hi,

I just reflect about the usability of my iPhone with just one hand and I thought that is a good idea to use the numeric pad as basic, because the numbers position is very intuitive.
and for quick messaging it is also important to write with just one hand. so I designed two new menus....
new menu (http://www.parerga.com/iPhone_4.jpg)
Link doesn't work.

WannabeMacUser
Jul 29, 2006, 06:30 AM
I would seriously be disappointed if it had a build-in MP3 player like most modern phones. I still love my iPod. It looks really good though. Might actually buy one when they come out.