Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
todd2000 said:
Does deleating a PM before it is read "unsend" it?
I believe sending a PM causes one copy of the message to be put in your Outbox and another copy in the recipient's Inbox. Deleting the copy in your Outbox therefore would not prevent delivery.

Any two members could test this theory by having one send a message and then immediately delete it, before the other member tries to read it.

Is there any way to unsend a PM?
Not by yourself via the forum software. arn (the site owner) or somebody else with suitable administration privileges could in theory expunge messages from the underlying databases, or erase PMs for a given member with an administrative tool, but we have never done such a thing before, as far as I know.

We moderators never read or access PMs between members, other than those sent to us.

If you are asking because of a particular message you sent, and you consider it an emergency, send me more information by PM, even though it may be too late.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
mkrishnan said:
This thread is worthless without sordid details! :eek: ;) :D

I don't know of a way to do it, though...sorry. :( Maybe PM a mod or admin....

I was thinking the same thing. :D

IIRC, AOL had the ability at one time to delete an email before it was read. A nice safety perhaps.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I just want to say that I got your message and I'll be glad to join you on your Carribean Island getaway. :D j/k

Sorry, too late. Once you're bad, you're in trouble.

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
well this happens sometimes, when sending email.

you typed in the name "john" and once a person is preoccupied for a couple of seconds, it could happen that the wrong john gets the email.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
redAPPLE said:
well this happens sometimes, when sending email.

you typed in the name "john" and once a person is preoccupied for a couple of seconds, it could happen that the wrong john gets the email.
Yes, it's especially awkward when you send a Dear John letter to the wrong person! :eek:

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
Chip NoVaMac said:
I was thinking the same thing. :D

IIRC, AOL had the ability at one time to delete an email before it was read. A nice safety perhaps.

Yeah, that was kinda a sweet feature. You could check the status of messages sent to other AOL subscribers and delete them if they were still 'unread.' It was definitely nice. Not just being able to delete the messages, but also see if someone hasn't responded because they haven't read something as opposed to them just being lazy or mad :p

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
spare said:
There are a few PM's I've sent, these forums and elsewhere, that in hindsight could've benefited from such a feature and/or a little 'cooling off' period of self moderation/common sense:eek:

Believe me; you're not alone. :eek:
But damn the torpedoes...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.