Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ashley

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2006
Pretty basic, I just wanted to "talk" about the frames/borders that I've seen on pictures here and other forums -

1. Your thoughts - Are they necessary to make a picture pop? Do you like them?

2. How do you do it - Photoshop? Another program? While importing? Only the ones for a portfolio?

Thanks in advance!

beavo451

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
ashley said:
Pretty basic, I just wanted to "talk" about the frames/borders that I've seen on pictures here and other forums -

2. How do you do it - Photoshop? Another program? While importing? Only the ones for a portfolio?

Thanks in advance!

They make the picture look better on a screen.

To create a simple frame in photoshop, go the Image->Canvas size. Then change the parameters to pixel. Check "Relative" and select your border color at the bottom. Then put in the border size you want in pixels in the "height" and "width" boxes.

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
ashley said:

If the picture's good enough, it'll pop without a border! Small one px borders are ok, maybe a little thicker if you're displaying it in a gallery or something. Normally I'm not a fan of thick borders because they take away from the image - I'm so disgusted by the border that I can't even concentrate on the picture. :p

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
I really don't like them. I feel they're just a cheap gimmick if your photo can't survive on its own. Once you put it in a frame, put a matte around it. But leave the photo to itself, free of extra color bulk.

riel505

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2006
Dubai
ashley said:

Thanks in advance!

borders usually make pictures looks 'done'. not that im saying that photos without borders don't look 'done' hehe. it's just that it looks more ready to display. like you're about to hang it on the wall. it doesnt have to be elaborate - it can as simple as black borders or white borders. but no matter what borders you use, if the picture cannot stand on its own, it wont help.

increasing canvas side and making it even on all sides is a quick and simple option. i normally use just black or white. more elaborate borders detract from the photo. the photo is the star! ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.