PDA

View Full Version : MBP whine

tim2006
Jul 25, 2006, 08:31 PM
I contacted apple support re my MBP whine. I was told that it required a new logic board. I returned the MBP for the black MB, no whine.

QCassidy352
Jul 25, 2006, 08:37 PM
you're sure the new MB doesn't have the whine? I've yet to hear a MB without it, although the volume does vary.

How old was your macbook pro when they took it back?

Paix247
Jul 26, 2006, 11:01 AM
Yeah, how old was it??

airkarol
Jul 26, 2006, 08:56 PM
Apple found a fix for the whine.

MacBook Pro with noise under the keyboard
If your 15-inch MacBook Pro emits a high-pitched buzzing sound, please contact AppleCare for service.

Littleodie914
Jul 26, 2006, 09:13 PM
Hmm... How long do you think Apple will continue this repair process? For as long as my MBP is under warranty? Like what would happen if I sent mine in for the whine problem 6 months from now? Would it come back as a MBP, or as a MeromBP? :D

(Serious question, by the way.)

Felldownthewell
Jul 26, 2006, 09:16 PM
Hmm... How long do you think Apple will continue this repair process? For as long as my MBP is under warranty? Like what would happen if I sent mine in for the whine problem 6 months from now? Would it come back as a MBP, or as a MeromBP? :D

(Serious question, by the way.)

In the same way that iBooks and PBs come back as iBooks and PBs, and not MBs and MBPs, I would say that you would probably end up with whatever you sent in, only repaired.

bruf
Jul 26, 2006, 10:35 PM
Is the CPU soldered onto the main logic board? If it's the case, do you know if a 1.83 GHz CPU will be upgraded to a 2.0 GHz since Apple isn't selling the 1.83 GHz version anymore?

Anybody sent a 1.83 GHz MBP for repair?

Thanks,

Temujin
Jul 27, 2006, 06:15 AM
Is the CPU soldered onto the main logic board? If it's the case, do you know if a 1.83 GHz CPU will be upgraded to a 2.0 GHz since Apple isn't selling the 1.83 GHz version anymore?

Anybody sent a 1.83 GHz MBP for repair?

Thanks,
My guess is that Apple have plenty of spare parts for the 1.83 GHz. I'll be sending mine in for repair soon, and I bet I''ll get nothing but a 1.83 GHz back again. This time in working order I hope. I'll let you know if I get a bump.

bruf
Jul 27, 2006, 09:29 AM
My guess is that Apple have plenty of spare parts for the 1.83 GHz. I'll be sending mine in for repair soon, and I bet I''ll get nothing but a 1.83 GHz back again. This time in working order I hope. I'll let you know if I get a bump.

I've send mine in for repair (at my local official reseller store) yesterday, got a phone call from the tech about 5 min ago. He confirmed that the MLB will be replaced, ordered it from Apple. I should get back my MBP in the beginning of next week. I'll let you know if I get a 2.0 GHz.. ;)

QCassidy352
Jul 27, 2006, 09:43 AM
so no word on whether this extends to macbooks yet?

Temujin
Jul 27, 2006, 11:59 AM
so no word on whether this extends to macbooks yet?
No word from Apple yet, so I guess it excludes the MB.

dailo
Jul 27, 2006, 05:34 PM
Debating if I shoudl send mine in. Last time I sent mine in it came back with a 2.16 GHz. Not sure if the whine fix, if it is actually fixed is worth the chance of going back to 2.0 :).

Maybe if the new "fix" actually gets rid of it completely.

bruf
Jul 28, 2006, 01:31 PM
I too hesitated before sending mine in, after all my only issue with the MBP was the whine. It sure gets pretty hot, but hey it's not something I didn't expect so I'm cool with that.

I just hope the enclosure will come back as is, with no scratches or cosmectic anomaly whatsoever. I can't say I fully trust the Apple tech on that one, he sure doesn't care when he's dissecting my MBP to replace the MLB. *fingers crossed* ;)

dailo
Aug 28, 2006, 09:00 PM
Just got my MBP back from repair after waiting a week for a new MLB. The whine is indeed gone!!! However, looks like they still spilled the thermal grease onto the chips as my laptop is hotter than ever. So looks like I will have to do a little operation on it again, but thank you apple for no more whine! Or at least whine that I can no longer hear.

drummerbooker14
Aug 28, 2006, 09:19 PM
you're sure the new MB doesn't have the whine? I've yet to hear a MB without it, although the volume does vary.

How old was your macbook pro when they took it back?

i have never had whine in my black MB but i did have moo but its gone

PatrickF
Aug 29, 2006, 02:48 AM
I got mine back with the new installation DVDs, however, mine still squeals like mad. It doesn't seem quite as bad as before but still not that much better.

/user/me
May 10, 2011, 11:26 AM
Zombie Thread!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.ashtoberfest.com/images/zombie.jpg