PDA

View Full Version : MacMini G4 basic questions

Killyp
Jul 26, 2006, 05:31 AM
Ello

I might be able to get a MacMini G4 for a great price, and I was wondering if anyone knew what the maximum display resolution was, and whether it would be able to for example play high definition movies scaled up to the full res of the screen without any issues. I was planning on using either a 23" or 30" apple cinema display.

What do you think???

Blue Velvet
Jul 26, 2006, 05:35 AM
I highly doubt that the Mini's video capabilities can drive the 30"... even with the G5 PowerMacs you still need a sizable graphics card.

robbieduncan
Jul 26, 2006, 05:47 AM
You need Dual-Link DVI for a 30" (Cinema Display, or Dell, a 30" LCD TV will run at much lower resolution...). Mac Minis only have standard (Single-Link) DVI so a 23" is your max.

generik
Jul 26, 2006, 05:54 AM
I highly doubt that the Mini's video capabilities can drive the 30"... even with the G5 PowerMacs you still need a sizable graphics card.

Would it make a difference if the OP got one of those newer 1.5Ghz/64MB graphics Minis?

robbieduncan
Jul 26, 2006, 05:56 AM
Would it make a difference if the OP got one of those newer 1.5Ghz/64MB graphics Minis?

Nope. They still only have single-link DVI. The amount of graphics RAM is irrelevant. Even Intel Minis only have single-link DVI. So a max resolution of 1920x1200.

dmw007
Jul 26, 2006, 06:00 AM

No, I don't believe that it would. :o

EDIT- beaten by robbieduncan. :)

gallagb
Jul 26, 2006, 06:06 AM
i've got a g4 mini 1.42 gHz machine running my 23"
it is fine

however- i recommend you max out the ram- big time

menziep
Jul 26, 2006, 06:31 AM
it is fine

Yeah...but that goes with all macs (1Gb Min)

dmw007
Jul 26, 2006, 07:12 AM
Yeah...but that goes with all macs (1Gb Min)

I agree, to run Mac OS X comfortably, you need at least 1GB of RAM. :)

eXan
Jul 26, 2006, 07:19 AM
(1Gb Min)

And max for this particular Mac ;)

Killyp
Jul 26, 2006, 04:22 PM
I know. My MBP with 1 gb is pretty sluggish at times. OS X is a memory hog!!!

baby duck monge
Jul 26, 2006, 04:57 PM
it is fine

Ok, so I have a question. If the G4 machines have dedicated video cards, why would it matter if you had 1GB RAM vs 512MB RAM for these monitors? I figured as long as you weren't gaming or anything it shouldn't make much of a difference. :confused:

I was hoping to bump up to a 20" or 21" monitor from a 17" on my Mini. I realize that's not the 23" you were talking about, but would I notice some sort of unexpected slowdown?

slu
Jul 26, 2006, 05:19 PM
Ok, so I have a question. If the G4 machines have dedicated video cards, why would it matter if you had 1GB RAM vs 512MB RAM for these monitors? I figured as long as you weren't gaming or anything it shouldn't make much of a difference. :confused:

I was hoping to bump up to a 20" or 21" monitor from a 17" on my Mini. I realize that's not the 23" you were talking about, but would I notice some sort of unexpected slowdown?

Nope. It doesn't matter. You will will not notice any difference at all going to a 20 or 21 incher. My friend uses a G4 mini with a Dell 20.1" monitor and it works great.

I think they mean that OS X is "unusable" in general with anything less than a gig of RAM.

I am here to tell you that is hogwash. I use 768 MB in my Mac (see sig) and I do just fine using GarageBand, Final Cut Express, Photoshop and all the other normal stuff. I do not use FCE and GarageBand at the same time though, but I bet I could with little trouble.

baby duck monge
Jul 26, 2006, 05:31 PM
Nope. It doesn't matter. You will will not notice any difference at all going to a 20 or 21 incher. My friend uses a G4 mini with a Dell 20.1" monitor and it works great.

I think they mean that OS X is "unusable" in general with anything less than a gig of RAM.

I am here to tell you that is hogwash. I use 768 MB in my Mac (see sig) and I do just fine using GarageBand, Final Cut Express, Photoshop and all the other normal stuff. I do not use FCE and GarageBand at the same time though, but I bet I could with little trouble.

Awesome, thanks! I was just confused because they mentioned RAM in a thread about monitors...

Until I added another 512MB to my PowerBook about two months ago I had never had a machine with 1GB RAM. My iMac had 256, my iBook had 640, my Mini has 512, etc. I honestly don't see a huge difference between my PowerBook and my Mini and I constantly run Mail.app, Adium, Firefox, and iTunes as well as doing light PS work and whatnot. I agree with your assessment of the 1GB minimum as "hogwash," though I do think you're doing yourself a disservice with anything less than 512MB. Oh well, to each his own.

Now to find someone to buy my Samsung 172x so I can finally get myself the new monitor.