Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

CNN reports that Metallica has finally decided to allow digital distribution of their music on the iTunes Music Store.

Beginning on Tuesday, the band put up four of its records _ "Kill 'Em All," "Ride The Lightning," "Master of Puppets" and "...And Justice For All" -- for sale on U.S. and Canadian versions of the popular online music retailer.

Metallica made headlines in 2000 for being vocal against online piracy and for suing Napster and a number of universities for promoting piracy.

Other notable additions to iTunes have included E! Entertainment shows and WB shows. Of note, the Pilot episode of Aquaman is being offered. This episode is unique in that it represents a rejected series originally intended for the Fall 2006 season.

Jarbo

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2006
It's about time.

Hopefully others will follow.

Macrumors said:

CNN reports that Metallica has finally decided to allow digital distribution of their music on the iTunes Music Store.

Metallica made headlines in 2000 for being vocal against online piracy and for suing Napster and a number of universities for promoting piracy.

Other notable additions to iTunes have included E! Entertainment shows and WB shows. Of note, the Pilot episode of Aquaman is being offered. This episode is unique in that it represents a rejected series originally intended for the Fall 2006 season.

bigmc6000

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2006
yeah

mlrproducts said:
This is several days old.

I read about this at different points for the whole week. AI had the metallica thing on monday or tuesday as I recall.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
just consolidating some recent itunes news. The Aquaman pilot is interesting that its doing well. obviously it's a novelty... but I'd like seeing more pilots for potential shows.

I haven't watched aquaman yet.

arn

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Aquaman Is A Natural Hit - Whoever Rejected It Is Too Young To Know Better

arn said:
just consolidating some recent itunes news. The Aquaman pilot is interesting that its doing well. obviously it's a novelty... but I'd like seeing more pilots for potential shows.

I haven't watched aquaman yet.
How could they have rejected Aquaman as a series? I'm sure it would have been a huge hit. It would also make for a great motion picture franchise. Crazy. :rolleyes: :eek:

thogs_cave

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2003
State of Confusion
arn said:
just consolidating some recent itunes news. The Aquaman pilot is interesting that its doing well. obviously it's a novelty... but I'd like seeing more pilots for potential shows

Agreed. Often $SPOUSE and I have sat through a show on the boob-tube and said, "If this is what they broadcast, what did they throw away?" It would be nice to see it and judge for ourselves.

Now if Cartoon Network would just start offering stuff on ITMS. I really miss "Megas XLR". :mad:

Jerry Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2002
Historic St. Charles
Macrumors said:
Of note, the Pilot episode of Aquaman is being offered. This episode is unique in that it represents a rejected series originally intended for the Fall 2006 season.

With this being the number one show on iTunes right now (and yes I bought it.) I wonder what the changes are that a network would take another look at this show. I would think it would fit nicely with WB, or CW or whatever they're calling it, but I believe they're the ones that rejected it in the first place.

I've heard of cancelled shows being picked up by another network or re-picked up by the same network after some fan outcry, but I don't think there's been any precedent of a rejected pilot getting picked up after fan interest.

To be fair, although I thought the show was good for a pilot, just because someone bought it doesn't mean that they thought it was good.

FlamDrag

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2003
Western Hemisphere
Unless something's changed since Tuesday night, The full metallica studio catelog is available on iTunes. So before you complain, go to iTunes folks.

Load, Reloaded, Garage Inc., Metallica and others (I'm not a hard core Metallica fan so don't kill me for remembering all of them) were all available.

Cheers,

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
Yeaaaaaaaah :D

200425996_be0cccec44_o.jpg

celebi23

macrumors regular
May 31, 2004
CT
Jerry Spoon said:
I've heard of cancelled shows being picked up by another network or re-picked up by the same network after some fan outcry, but I don't think there's been any precedent of a rejected pilot getting picked up after fan interest.

Umm, I guess you've never seen the "Nobody's Watching" pilot on youtube.com. It's in 3 9 minute parts. It's had over 400,000 views & NBC has ordered 6 new episodes and a few webisodes for youtube. They're hoping for it to start on NBC mid-season. Definatly check NW on youtube.

Porchland

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2004
Georgia
mlrproducts said:
This is several days old.

It is several days old, and I submitted the item about the WB having content on iTunes at about 7 a.m. on Tuesday morning. I guess getting E! makes it news.

As for Metallica, in the last year, iTMS has also picked up Madonna, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Steve Miller Band. I'm glad to hear that Metallica is finally on board -- not because I like them (I don't) but because more is better!

Who's left out now besides Radiohead and The Beatles?

slackersonly

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2006
hmmm. my fault.
sorry for relying on cnn to have an accurate report.
i will check all possible sources before trusting such a shady operation again. :p

jephrey

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2005
With this being the number one show on iTunes right now (and yes I bought it.) I wonder what the changes are that a network would take another look at this show. I would think it would fit nicely with WB, or CW or whatever they're calling it, but I believe they're the ones that rejected it in the first place.

Not only that, how about an iTunes exclusive series? Not that Apple would want to get into that per-se, but if a network produced a show for iTunes, I wonder how that would work? If feasible, this could be a big step forward in internet broadcasting.

Jephrey

VAG

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2003
Greece
It was about time... Cliff Burstein (as a manager of Metallica) maybe thought that this will increase their popularity now at the end of their career...
I'm a huge fan of them since 1987, and I'll tell you, this was a good move for them.

PS: Also means that their upcoming new album will sell more than St.Anger and maybe will be a great production as "Black Album" was and not as St.Anger's drums resolution.

Good luck Metallica and great addition on iTunes, Apple ;)

Greetings from Greece.
VAG

aafuss1

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2002
Gold Coast, Australia
Porchland said:
It is several days old, and I submitted the item about the WB having content on iTunes at about 7 a.m. on Tuesday morning. I guess getting E! makes it news.

As for Metallica, in the last year, iTMS has also picked up Madonna, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Steve Miller Band. I'm glad to hear that Metallica is finally on board -- not because I like them (I don't) but because more is better!

Who's left out now besides Radiohead and The Beatles?
Only the US/CA stores with Metallica-no Aus or Euro stores have it yet?

rxse7en

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Would be an interesting study to launch ALL pilots on iTunes. Watch the number of downloads/purchases then produce the most popular shows for on air. I think I'll register this concept now!

®

There.

:D

B

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
slackersonly said:
Hey, thanks Metallica for leaving off your 6 most recent cds.
Way to be proactive....:mad:

Anything after the black album is generic metal trash.
So - leaving off those 5 cds wouldn't have exactly been a bad thing. :D
As I always say..."Load is exactly that. A LOAD."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.