PDA

View Full Version : Apple Phone In August?

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Jul 29, 2006, 08:33 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Contrary to recent reports (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/03/20060330174059.shtml), Engadget says that Apple's rumored "iPhone" may appear as early as August (http://www.engadget.com/2006/07/29/wild-speculation-iphone-to-launch-in-august/).

A reader is reporting to us that a coworker's tech-unsavvy friend, who is regularly hired by Apple to do marketing photo shoots, was recently brought on to take some shots of "the sleekest, sexiest damn phone he's ever seen."

It has been well-established that Apple has been working on an Apple-branded phone for some time, however the release date has been difficult to pinpoint. Recently, various patents (1 (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/05/20060505202447.shtml), 2 (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/06/20060614074411.shtml)) have been uncovered regarding Apple's cell phone technology and Peter Oppenheimer made comments (http://www.macnn.com/articles/06/07/20/merrill.upgrades.aapl/) during Apple's Q3 2006 conference call virtually acknowledging Apple's work on the product, stating "We're not sitting around doing nothing" with regard to cell phones.

NewSc2
Jul 29, 2006, 08:36 PM
my t-mobile contract expires in september..

maybe along with the mac pros, new macbook pros, intel core 2 duo, movies on iTunes, WWDC will bring about the iPhone and no-touch full screen video iPod..

*yeah right*

twoodcc
Jul 29, 2006, 08:40 PM
well 2 months after i buy a new Razr, i don't doubt that this phone will be released :(

Frisco
Jul 29, 2006, 08:41 PM
I'd buy in a second, even if I had a Razr.

BornAgainMac
Jul 29, 2006, 08:42 PM
Finally, a phone that might be able to iSync with my Mac.

craigatkinson
Jul 29, 2006, 08:42 PM
Of course Verizon will wait two years before they decide to adopt it into their lineup.

Peace
Jul 29, 2006, 08:43 PM
I can already see Phil sitting in the audience and then Job's cell phone rings..

Jobs: um..excuse me a sec..Seems I have a phone call..
Pulls out this cool looking cell phone,flips it open and says hello?
Phil: Say Steve,can we have a chat real fast ? then starts up iChat on his iPhone..
Jobs: starts up iChat on his cell phone..

The rest is history :D

DavidLeblond
Jul 29, 2006, 08:44 PM
Of course Verizon will wait two years before they decide to adopt it into their lineup.

Yeah tell me about it.

How much does it take to break a Verizon contract again...?

twoodcc
Jul 29, 2006, 08:45 PM
I can already see Phil sitting in the audience and then Job's cell phone rings..

Phil: Say Steve,can we have a chat real fast ? then starts up iChat on his iPhone..

i could see something like that happening

Super Dave
Jul 29, 2006, 08:45 PM
If only I wasn't locked in with a stupid CDMA company. I doubt the iPhone will be anything but GSM. My local GSM company's plans suck!

David :cool:

bigandy
Jul 29, 2006, 08:46 PM
i'm betting it will be introduced by apple's special flying pig. :rolleyes:

bigbossbmb
Jul 29, 2006, 08:47 PM
yeah, i just got a razor too...but luckily im with verizon, so by the time i upgrade my phone again, this will be verizon's new addition :rolleyes:

iMacZealot
Jul 29, 2006, 08:47 PM
I'm not sure....it could be the next great product to be unveiled @ WWDC, but it seems a little soon and I just can't really see Apple making a phone. Sorry. While I'm sure if it is true, it'd be a cool phone, but it just seems like one of those rumours that comes up occasionally and then goes away, just like the Tablet Mac. On the other hand, the Marklar rumours were true, so I don't know. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Yeah tell me about it.

It's $175, and I think it'd be worth it. I never get more than maybe three bars, and let's just forget their international plans. I think I'm going to switch to T-Mobile in a few weeks. My Verizon phone was $1.50 a minute internationally and it didn't even work in Rome and my aunt's T-Mobile phone I borrowed for my trip to Singapore was $0.99/min. and worked so well.

l008com
Jul 29, 2006, 08:55 PM
I read somehwere that the iPhone has been ready to go for a while, the problem is all the greedy scum bag cell providers want to get paid $1 every time a customer puts a song on their phone, where as apple wants people to load up their phone for free just like they do with an iPod. Without the providers on board, you won't get [Retail $350, with 2 Year Plan $50] for the phone, you'll just get [Price $350].

Anyway I'm on verizon and its been nothing but problems with them for the past year or so. Their 'can you hear me now' network has turned into the 'what? hello? HELLO? *click*' network. I'll be happy to switch if the new phone is not on verizon.

ravenvii
Jul 29, 2006, 09:00 PM
If they somehow include a full qwerty thumb keyboard, this sleek and sexy phone is mine.

iMacZealot
Jul 29, 2006, 09:01 PM
I read somehwere that the iPhone has been ready to go for a while, the problem is all the greedy scum bag cell providers want to get paid $1 every time a customer puts a song on their phone, where as apple wants people to load up their phone for free just like they do with an iPod. Without the providers on board, you won't get [Retail $350, with 2 Year Plan $50] for the phone, you'll just get [Price $350].

Anyway I'm on verizon and its been nothing but problems with them for the past year or so. Their 'can you hear me now' network has turned into the 'what? hello? HELLO? *click*' network. I'll be happy to switch if the new phone is not on verizon.

I know. My brother travels a ton (new day, new state) and he even says that he has awful problems with it. Sprint works pretty well, but just too expensive, especially internationally.

As for the iPhone, that is the problem. For example, in the case of the ROKR, Apple wanted users to add their music for free from their comp. They went to other companies where they wanted people to pay $2-3 for a song. Maybe this new iPhone will not be music related, but Apple has become to be synonymous with music.

(Sorry this is my third post in fifteen minutes)

Paulius
Jul 29, 2006, 09:03 PM
Ah man. I wanted a cheap, robust, no-BS phone. I don't know what my next cellphone will be. I just don't feel like investing a lot into a cellphone. What I want to do is to just TALK!

l008com
Jul 29, 2006, 09:09 PM
If apple could get one of the phone carriers to go with the free song plan, maybe one of the smaller ones like Alltel, they could single handedly turn Alltel into a major player. Alltel and Apple would both win. And it probably wouldn't be long before the crappy carriers decided to carry the "ipod phone" with free song loading anyway.

I'm a big fan of the Motorola E815. Best for just talking, and great for doing more. Of course verizon disables most of the great features so you can pay verizon $5 a month for the same abilities the phone was already capable of.

Alternately, Apple could do something really big like buy one of the companies like Alltel, or create some sort of major partnership where Apple has a say in the service, not just selling the phones. Apple could be the provider, and your phone could come with free (minus airtime) Safari Jr for web browsing any time :-) That would be fricken sweet.

lhawkins
Jul 29, 2006, 09:09 PM
I don't doubt that Apple is possibly working on something like this, but would a professional photographer (who probably is paid very well while working for Apple) really risk future jobs as well as lawsuits (NDA is surely in effect) just to brag to his friend about a new cell phone he saw? :confused:

l008com
Jul 29, 2006, 09:11 PM
I tell my close friends everything. I doubt his friends signed an NDA. Small leaks snowball quickly.

Avicdar
Jul 29, 2006, 09:11 PM
I can see the crafty photoshop composites now...a keypad from this funky german gadget, a display from an old star trek episode, a set of floating M&Ms stylized as hot buttons...

there we go!

mozmac
Jul 29, 2006, 09:15 PM
Judging from Apple's past, I hope they stick with Cingular. They always seem to get all the newest and greatest phones that come out (while I still hate the RAZR). I have a BlackBerry 8700c with Cingular right now. If they came out with the sweetest freaking phone on earth, and had Exchange support built into it, I would jump all over that like a kid on his parents' bed on Christmas morning. Seriously...bring it on!

DTphonehome
Jul 29, 2006, 09:20 PM

Ha! Verizon will NEVER carry it.

I'm pretty happy with VZW service. Their phones are lousy and crippled, but after trying every other provider, VZW was the only one who had almost perfect service in NYC, and I need reliable service more than I need a shiny phone.

l008com
Jul 29, 2006, 09:21 PM
Up until about a year or so ago, Cingular used to have the worst network. And the Verizon network was mint. Great signal everywhere on earth and never lost a call. Now I have to try every call 4 times before it goes through. I'd rather see Apple buy up another carrier and own them. How much does a small cellular carrier cost to buy? :-)

twoodcc
Jul 29, 2006, 09:23 PM
I'd buy in a second, even if I had a Razr.

i think i'll buy a Macbook instead

mozmac
Jul 29, 2006, 09:23 PM

That is pure, Apple style right there. Of course, I don't picture this phone being a flip phones. I believe (and hope) flip phones are on their way out. They were a fad, but aren't as practical as candy bar phones. They have more moving parts that can break and take longer to answer, especially if your hands are full or you're driving your car. (All you flip-phone people out there, before you start lashing out in defense, just accept those statements as truth, because you know they are.) Nothing beats hearing your phone, looking down, and pushing a button to start talking. As far as accidently calling people, I lock my phone with the push of a button and don't have any problems.

DavidCar
Jul 29, 2006, 09:24 PM
Haven't we heard before from this "tech-unsavvy friend, who is regularly hired by Apple to do marketing photo shoots", maybe sometime in the past year or two? The line sounds familiar. I don't recall if the previous bit of information from that source was true or not.

DTphonehome
Jul 29, 2006, 09:29 PM
Up until about a year or so ago, Cingular used to have the worst network. And the Verizon network was mint. Great signal everywhere on earth and never lost a call. Now I have to try every call 4 times before it goes through. I'd rather see Apple buy up another carrier and own them. How much does a small cellular carrier cost to buy? :-)

They wouldn't have to do that. You know ESPN Mobile, Boost Mobile, and AMP'd mobile? They are all "virtual" networks that lease bandwidth from other providers who actually have a physical network. These "virtual" wireless companies are called MVNOs. Apple could become an MVNO (and it has been rumored in the past that would do so), so that they could offer all the features they want, and ensure a consistent experience across the entire user base.

xfiftyfour
fortunately, i'm on cingular - great coverage, great phones, and a great probability of finding the supposed iPhone in the lineup.

but, that would be admitting to actually believing this rumor, which, well.. what's the saying become? "new powerbooks next tuesday!" if you know what i mean...

MovieCutter
Haven't we heard before from this "tech-unsavvy friend, who is regularly hired by Apple to do marketing photo shoots", maybe sometime in the past year or two? The line sounds familiar. I don't recall if the previous bit of information from that source was true or not.

Yeah, he took pictures of the new iMac G5 in an elevator...;)

mozmac
Jul 29, 2006, 09:41 PM
They wouldn't have to do that. You know ESPN Mobile, Boost Mobile, and AMP'd mobile? They are all "virtual" networks that lease bandwidth from other providers who actually have a physical network. These "virtual" wireless companies are called MVNOs. Apple could become an MVNO (and it has been rumored in the past that would do so), so that they could offer all the features they want, and ensure a consistent experience across the entire user base.

I think that would be a smart move by Apple. It would give them complete control over the whole operation (which we know Jobs loves). They would be able to set their own rules for over-the-air downloads as well as transfering files between your phone and your computer. Verizon is notorious for taking great phones and cripling them, so I don't see Apple going with them. With their own network, Apple could also control offering some sort of syncronized email service through .mac. Imagine...having push email from your .mac account, as well as your calendar that automatically syncs with iCal and your contacts auot-syncing with Address Book. They could build in support for pages and the spreadsheet program they're working on.

I have been with Cingular for a long time and have been very satisfied with the service. I have an EDGE connection just about everywhere I go and haven't had any billing problems. Their customer service has always been fairly willing to help me out with specific concerns. My current contract is up in April, so if they come out with a phone in August, they should hopefully have a rev b phone out by April, just in time for me to upgrade and maybe get a discount by signing a new contract. :)

noservice2001
Jul 29, 2006, 09:43 PM
what will become of the rockr?

MattyMac
Jul 29, 2006, 09:45 PM
Pleasssssssssse...I've been waiting for this!

MovieCutter
Jul 29, 2006, 09:45 PM

The ROKR died a painful death long ago...

ahuman7341
Jul 29, 2006, 09:52 PM
Oh I hope for these to be false, I hate cell phones and I don't want to hate an apple product. But if they did make a phone it would require the following features.

-At least 5 megapixel camera, I'd love to minimize the amount of things in my pocket by combing my camera and my cell phone ( i hate the beast but my mother makes me carry it) but there isint a camera phone good enough to actually use to take a picture other than an imac G5 in an elevator.

- The inablilty to do "texting :) :) :) :) :) :) " although there would be an option for "texting" but if someone were to select it a dialogue would come up , "YOU ARE RETARDED, just call them." the only option would be, "get hit by a bus"

hawken1
Jul 29, 2006, 09:54 PM
http://www.devilducky.com/media/46492/

I haven't seen this before but I guess it's old news?
Looks pretty cool anyway..

mozmac
Jul 29, 2006, 09:56 PM

Steve Jobs has stated that the ROKR was a great learning experience for Apple engineers. Apple probably licenses iTunes to Motorola for their phones, so could still exist even with an Apple competitor. Anything made by Apple will simply blow the ROKR and SLVR right out of the water. People can stick with them if they want, but they will be severely limited in comparison to what Apple makes. And if they aren't licensing iTunes to Moto right now, it's probably built into the contract that if they make their own branded phone, iTunes will become a licensed product.

joeboy_45101
Jul 29, 2006, 10:03 PM
This sounds cool. Initially, though; I was kind of turned off by the idea of Apple doing a cellphone.

Unfortunately, I'm pulled back into thinking, "What could Apple do with phones that hasn't already been done." Small, light, photos, video, internet, music, games, personal organization? Most of this is pretty well covered with the current offerings. So what is going to be the selling point here? Is it going to be expensive or affordable? Is it going to be full-featured or bare bones?

macdragonfl
Jul 29, 2006, 10:05 PM
Maybe the key would be to offer the IPhone for all providers, make it run
a mobile version of OS X with IChat video. I have Sprint and their music store downloads in AAC format. I have wondered if their music store is actually ITunes and they resell it as their own. Does any other carriers download in AAC?

ryanw
Jul 29, 2006, 10:07 PM
Ha! Verizon will NEVER carry it.

I'm pretty happy with VZW service. Their phones are lousy and crippled, but after trying every other provider, VZW was the only one who had almost perfect service in NYC, and I need reliable service more than I need a shiny phone.

I would be with verizon today if they didn't disable bluetooth syncing with the phone. I can't believe they actually make their phone providers jack with bluetooth so you can't sync contacts. FLIPPIN NUTTY! Idiots.

extraextra
Jul 29, 2006, 10:08 PM
Any ideas on the price tag for this phone?

Hopefully they release it with Cingular. I've always had wonky connections with Cingular though, maybe it's my phone. Ironically, I've noticed that the signal is the worst inside the mall - next to the Apple store. :p

RndmAxess
Jul 29, 2006, 10:09 PM
deleted

xfiftyfour
Jul 29, 2006, 10:11 PM
http://www.devilducky.com/media/46492/

I haven't seen this before but I guess it's old news?
Looks pretty cool anyway..
i hadn't seen the link before, either, but wow! i know it's a fake, but that is an AMAZING looking phone!

"dear steve, please trash whatever progress you've made on your supposed iPhone and get working on this iTalk. thanks." :p

kcroy
Jul 29, 2006, 10:19 PM
I will now be picturing Steve Jobs answering that phone during his Keynote in my dreams. :)

bigjohn
Jul 29, 2006, 10:21 PM
sadly with all the hype, real and otherwise, i won't be impressed with the first iteration even if it slices and toasts bagels for me. you gotta admit that some first apple efforts, while cool in design, limp out of the gate when compared to other manufacturers (how long did it take to get a CD-R in a laptop or desktop as one example)

that's not to say that i don't usually end up embracing what cupertino puts forth, please everyone understand that nokia, sony-e, motorola and the others have been doing phones far longer than apple. there's no possible way apple one-ups them on the first go.

w_parietti22
Jul 29, 2006, 10:28 PM
crap. :( I just got a new phone.

Mal
Jul 29, 2006, 10:31 PM
sadly with all the hype, real and otherwise, i won't be impressed with the first iteration even if it slices and toasts bagels for me. you gotta admit that some first apple efforts, while cool in design, limp out of the gate when compared to other manufacturers (how long did it take to get a CD-R in a laptop or desktop as one example)

that's not to say that i don't usually end up embracing what cupertino puts forth, please everyone understand that nokia, sony-e, motorola and the others have been doing phones far longer than apple. there's no possible way apple one-ups them on the first go.

There was no limping out the gate with the iPod. It was almost an overnight hit. Sure, it'll improve as time goes by, but I think if they release a phone, it won't have to wait for a few revisions before it's really good.

jW

danielsan26
Jul 29, 2006, 10:33 PM
Apple owns iphone.org (ownership info) (http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=www.iphone.org). It just mirrors their homepage, but has a different IP. It appears they've owned it for a while. Is this old news?

KREX725
Jul 29, 2006, 10:33 PM
While I'm sure if it is true, it'd be a cool phone, but it just seems like one of those rumours that comes up occasionally and then goes away, just like the Tablet Mac.

Normally I would agree, but then Steve hit us with the Intel switch and shook up all my feelings about long-term rumors that come and go.

iMacZealot
Jul 29, 2006, 10:34 PM
Normally I would agree, but then Steve hit us with the Intel switch and shook up all my feelings about long-term rumors that come and go.

I did say that in my post you are quoting, did I not?

illegalprelude
Jul 29, 2006, 10:37 PM
If apple could get one of the phone carriers to go with the free song plan, maybe one of the smaller ones like Alltel, they could single handedly turn Alltel into a major player. Alltel and Apple would both win.

one problem, that will never happen. Alltel does not own their network or even remotly have any form of cash to set it up. they just rent their network. Second, you can offer as much as of a cool device as you want, but its not going to cause millions of people to just dump their plans, break their contracts and switch. Mac cool-aid, down, now!

As far as Verizon goes, they used to be ahead of the game with having LG exclusive, used to be a big thing but no more and they are late on some phones but always have LG. Now, ive been with verizon with 5 years and had it from when I was in Michigan to now in Cali and their service has always been superb. Although, due to a lack of new cool phones and the stupid menue on all the phones thatlooks the same, ive been tempted to switch to Cingular, cause I love the Sony Erricson phones.

ug.mac
Jul 29, 2006, 10:40 PM
This is bad, I mean BAD if it's ture:mad:
I just finished with Fido and got a Razr V3c from Telus, I'm happy with it so far but if Apple really get into cell phone business I may let my GF get one of that if they won't make CDMA version and available to Canda.:p :p

xPismo
Jul 29, 2006, 10:40 PM
one problem, that will never happen...

Nor, methinks this iPhone shall ever happen. What would Apple gain in becoming a cell phone provider? Its a nasty market with no concensus between camps.

Sorry, its vaporware.

Xander562
Jul 29, 2006, 10:41 PM
Maybe the key would be to offer the IPhone for all providers, make it run
a mobile version of OS X with IChat video. I have Sprint and their music store downloads in AAC format. I have wondered if their music store is actually ITunes and they resell it as their own. Does any other carriers download in AAC?
i second this, i would only buy this is i could use it with my Verizon account.

craigatkinson
Jul 29, 2006, 10:42 PM
I beg to differ. I've even heard stock analysts anticipating the release of the iPhone. It's not a matter if Apple is going to release it, its a matter of when.

Nor, methinks this iPhone shall ever happen. What would Apple gain in becoming a cell phone provider? Its a nasty market with no concensus between camps.

Sorry, its vaporware.

BenRoethig
Jul 29, 2006, 10:54 PM
I'll believe the iPhone when I see it. It's been "just around the corner" for what, a year and a half now.

Silentwave
Jul 29, 2006, 10:57 PM
I can see the crafty photoshop composites now...a keypad from this funky german gadget, a display from an old star trek episode, a set of floating M&Ms stylized as hot buttons...

there we go!

wouldn't surprise me, considering they ran the entire bridge of the Enterprise NX-01 in the series Star Trek: Enterprise using PM G4 Cubes

kskill
Jul 29, 2006, 11:07 PM
they guy says it's the sleekest phone he's ever seen? i wonder if it incorporates this "none-touch" interface that was posted earlier in the week for the iPod. that'd be pretty awesome.

jephrey
Jul 29, 2006, 11:10 PM
So I thought... Would apple release a phone-only? No chance. It will most definitely have music features including wireless downloads from the iTMS (including a way to put the songs on your computer)... If this rumor is true of course.

My hope is for the phone to work on the Nextel / Sprint network not just because I have a Nextel, but because they have had time with their walkie-talkie feature, and I'd imagine that that would benefit the use of something like iChat over the phone.

Ah well, only a little over a week till the big day!

Jephrey

Silentwave
Jul 29, 2006, 11:16 PM
Oh I hope for these to be false, I hate cell phones and I don't want to hate an apple product. But if they did make a phone it would require the following features.

-At least 5 megapixel camera, I'd love to minimize the amount of things in my pocket by combing my camera and my cell phone ( i hate the beast but my mother makes me carry it) but there isint a camera phone good enough to actually use to take a picture other than an imac G5 in an elevator.

As a photo geek I would have to disagree with you here. I don't believe myself that the lens quality for something so small would be good enough, and I especially don't believe that the sensors @ 5mp that small would be up to it. You'd have ridiculous amounts of noise in almost any photo, and optical aberrations would be easily picked up. Pixel density would be incredible. They have trouble getting good performance out of 6mp sensors that are several times as large as the one that would be here, and lenses on those same point and shoot digital cameras often will show massive amounts of chromatic aberrations particularly around strong light sources and highlight-shadow transitions even with lenses that are many many times larger.

You would also probably not have a real zoom.

This is all speculation on my part, but based on the price points of the best point and shoots, to get decent performance out of a cell camera that small and with that much resolution, you'd have to pay a huge price tag.

moot
Jul 29, 2006, 11:17 PM
I will now be picturing Steve Jobs answering that phone during his Keynote in my dreams. :)

I cannot see it happening. I am not saying it won't be released in August but it wont be at the WWDC.

For a start, the Worldwide Developers conference is not a suitable place to release an American-centric consumer product.

Secondly, this would be big news and would require its own dedicated news conference. It would be really hyped up to all the assembled press.

Not coming at WWDC.

oh, and I hope this thing makes it international when it does finally come.

Mal
Jul 29, 2006, 11:17 PM
My hope is for the phone to work on the Nextel / Sprint network not just because I have a Nextel, but because they have had time with their walkie-talkie feature, and I'd imagine that that would benefit the use of something like iChat over the phone.

I can't see Apple releasing an iDEN compatible phone ever. iDEN (Nextel) is going away by 2010 supposedly, and it'll be just the CDMA and GSM networks. Apple needs to either support both (like the Treo) or stick with GSM so they don't get locked into a single carrier. Cingular's good, but I want to use it with T-Mobile too. Lots of people on Verizon or Sprint want to as well, though it'll be trickier to do that, since the carriers have to make the ESN swaps and they don't want to do that to a phone they don't sell/support (read: make money off of). I do agree that the walkie-talkie function could potentially be used, but all the big networks have a version of it, and Cingular, T-Mobile, and Verizon's are all supposed to be made compatible before too much longer, whereas Sprint/Nextel is keeping both versions of theirs exclusive, which limits it's usefulness.

jW

spicyapple
Jul 29, 2006, 11:29 PM
The Apple iPhone would have to be better in functionality than a Blackberry to be considered useful, unless they can work out a better input device method or utilize Microsoft's Vista speech recognition program.

ravenvii
Jul 29, 2006, 11:34 PM
The Apple iPhone would have to be better in functionality than a Blackberry to be considered useful, unless they can work out a better input device method or utilize Microsoft's Vista speech recognition program.

Hurray! Exactly what I'm thinking.

If Apple accomplishes this, I'll sell my Blackberry and buy Apple's phone in a flash.

But please, no speech recnogization... have you seen Microsoft's demo of their technology? Hilarious.

spicyapple
Jul 29, 2006, 11:37 PM
... have you seen Microsoft's demo of their technology?
Yeah. :p ;)

iMacZealot
Jul 29, 2006, 11:38 PM
I can't see Apple releasing an iDEN compatible phone ever. iDEN (Nextel) is going away by 2010 supposedly, and it'll be just the CDMA and GSM networks. Apple needs to either support both (like the Treo) or stick with GSM so they don't get locked into a single carrier. Cingular's good, but I want to use it with T-Mobile too. Lots of people on Verizon or Sprint want to as well, though it'll be trickier to do that, since the carriers have to make the ESN swaps and they don't want to do that to a phone they don't sell/support (read: make money off of). I do agree that the walkie-talkie function could potentially be used, but all the big networks have a version of it, and Cingular, T-Mobile, and Verizon's are all supposed to be made compatible before too much longer, whereas Sprint/Nextel is keeping both versions of theirs exclusive, which limits it's usefulness.

jW

I bet that if Apple is making a phone, I would guess that they'd make it a GSM. I just see CDMA eventually going away. Sure CDMA has more subscribers (Sprint+Verizon=100M; Cingular+T-Mobile=75M) in the USA, but more in the world are GSM subscribers and I just see the norm having people carrying around their quad-band phones everywhere and working everywhere. Those are just my thoughts, though.

DTphonehome
Jul 29, 2006, 11:39 PM

Riiiiight...Apple is going to utilize Microsoft's speech recognition...:rolleyes:

And why "better than Blackberry"? The Blackberry is practically the perfect corporate phone...the iPhone will probably not compete in that market.

Tommyg117
Jul 29, 2006, 11:45 PM
If this had Verizon support, I'd be really pumped. My plan is up in 2 months!

moot
Jul 29, 2006, 11:51 PM
Actually what happened to the rumor about Apple making a phone for the Japanese Softbank/Vodaphone network.

http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/05/20060512153306.shtml

Was this all speculation as well?

direzz
Jul 30, 2006, 12:11 AM
I dunno, i still think its a stupid idea, not to mention how expensive it will be.

commonpeople
Jul 30, 2006, 12:21 AM
As a photo geek I would have to disagree with you here. I don't believe myself that the lens quality for something so small would be good enough, and I especially don't believe that the sensors @ 5mp that small would be up to it. You'd have ridiculous amounts of noise in almost any photo, and optical aberrations would be easily picked up. Pixel density would be incredible. They have trouble getting good performance out of 6mp sensors that are several times as large as the one that would be here, and lenses on those same point and shoot digital cameras often will show massive amounts of chromatic aberrations particularly around strong light sources and highlight-shadow transitions even with lenses that are many many times larger.

You would also probably not have a real zoom.

This is all speculation on my part, but based on the price points of the best point and shoots, to get decent performance out of a cell camera that small and with that much resolution, you'd have to pay a huge price tag.

Given the quality (sic) of iSight, I'm not sure that Apple is going to make a camera phone that will satisfy you. Come back in 30 years and we'll see.

Darrin Bell
Jul 30, 2006, 12:28 AM
crap. :( I just got a new phone.Same here. I just got a LG cu500 from Cingular to use as a mobile broadband modem. I have one month to return it, which is proof that Apple will come out with a G3 phone/ipod/can opener in 32 days.
:(

chasemac
Jul 30, 2006, 12:33 AM
I just hope Apple doesn't trip over their own feet on this if it is true. I still want an iPod with a built-in radio.

kev0476
Jul 30, 2006, 12:52 AM
That is pure, Apple style right there. Of course, I don't picture this phone being a flip phones. I believe (and hope) flip phones are on their way out. They were a fad, but aren't as practical as candy bar phones. They have more moving parts that can break and take longer to answer, especially if your hands are full or you're driving your car. (All you flip-phone people out there, before you start lashing out in defense, just accept those statements as truth, because you know they are.) Nothing beats hearing your phone, looking down, and pushing a button to start talking. As far as accidently calling people, I lock my phone with the push of a button and don't have any problems.

One thing about flip phones, they don't get nearly as much screen damage, which apple is known with having some problems with. and for answering, you just flip it open, how hard is that? and flip phones can have a much larger screen. and with all those people bitching about how low the screen resolution is, it may be the way to go.

Only problem with my flip-phone, battery life is crap.

yg17
Jul 30, 2006, 01:06 AM
I think it's real. No signs of photoshopping and the pic was taken in an elevator :D

gugy
Jul 30, 2006, 01:06 AM
Bring it on Apple!
My Verizon contract expires in February. I'll be glad to dump then in favor to the iphone.

swingerofbirch
Jul 30, 2006, 01:10 AM
I've been eligible to upgrade my Verizon phone for a while now (new every 2), but have held off because the phones all seem so gimmicky. I like Verizon call quality, but I feel like their phones (all cell phones) are dictated by what the service providers want to be able to sell (Vcast, etc).

So they add cameras and EVDO etc to make more money from the associated services they offer.

The only two feature requests I ever have from a cell phone are: better reception and better battery life.

I have never cared about the other features, because I prefered carrying devices that specialized in those areas, ie a separate digital camera and an iPod.

However, it seems that Apple's major competition going forward will be from cell phone carriers who sell songs (albeit at 3.99/each) directly to cell phones.

The cell phone carriers have the advantage in that a lot of people will be buying these devices whether they want MP3 players or not. You have a cell phone, you've got an MP3 player. And not only that, you don't need a PC to buy music, you do it right from the phone.

Going forward the quality of phones as Mp3 players and cameras and the phones' music store experiences will improve, and Apple obviously realizes this will be their competition (more so I believe than a Wifi enabled Zune).

Perhaps Apple's wild-bet will be a device that is a master of all trades. They could combine iPod with Newton PDA a cell phone and a decent camera (iSight?).

I would imagine that to offer a device like this and not have it hobbled by terrible software and keep it fairly open, Apple will need to create their own wireless network. They do have 9.5 billion.

:)

I think it's where the future is headed. But it's a big bet. But in business it's also a bet not to take a big bet sometimes.

chasemac
Jul 30, 2006, 01:12 AM
I think it's real. No signs of photoshopping and the pic was taken in an elevator :D

Awesome!:) Its real. Go ahead, verify the source!:)

mduser63
Jul 30, 2006, 01:14 AM
I don't think I've hated any company so passionately as I hate Verizon. I have not one positive word to say about them. If/when Apple announces a phone, I'll pay the early termination fee on my Verizon contract and jump to the carrier with Apple's phone. Hopefully that'll be Cingular.

w_parietti22
Jul 30, 2006, 01:16 AM
Please dont call it an "iPhone" that is so... no. if it was called iPhone I dont think that I would buy it. if it was MacPhone Pro or something like that than maybe... ;). No but please dont name it either of those. Come up with something new and original.

w_parietti22
Jul 30, 2006, 01:17 AM
I don't think I've hated any company so passionately as I hate Verizon. I have not one positive word to say about them. If/when Apple announces a phone, I'll pay the early termination fee on my Verizon contract and jump to the carrier with Apple's phone. Hopefully that'll be Cingular.

Hopefully it doesnt have a carrier. Just a sim card slot. (which = no verizon ;))

gugy
Jul 30, 2006, 01:19 AM

Interesting I am the opposite of you. I hate Cingular and I am OK with Verizon.
The big question is if whatever Apple comes up it needs a good network.
What good will be an amazing phone with a crap network and service. In the past I had Cingular and just hate it. Now I have Verizon, I do not love it but at least I can use it at my home and office and IMHO is better than Cingular.

So I just hope I can have an Iphone that actually works wherever I go.

chasemac
Jul 30, 2006, 01:20 AM
Please dont call it an "iPhone" that is so... no. if it was called iPhone I dont think that I would buy it. if it was MacPhone Pro or something like that than maybe... ;). No but please dont name it either of those. Come up with something new and original.

How bout PowerPhone.mac!:)

berkleeboy210
Jul 30, 2006, 01:25 AM
If this is true, and does come out on Aug. 7th, I'll be saying farewell to my New Sidekick 3.

Multimedia
Jul 30, 2006, 01:26 AM
Perfect. Just extended my two years with Veriaon in June for a new Moto 815e. :(

Stella
Jul 30, 2006, 01:26 AM
any apple phone would be too good basic to use... plus be baised torwards the north amercian market.

Apple are such retards sometimes.

Go get a sonyericsson phone instead.

( ie., u.s., not Canadian, being the greatest country on this planet.

GO CANADA ).

sam10685
Jul 30, 2006, 01:31 AM

massive sign's of photoshopping. the light on the phone doesn't match.

mfacey
Jul 30, 2006, 01:45 AM
What's with everybody thinking this will be too US centric? I'm guessing a possible music download service will be USA only at first, but in all honesty the European and Asian cell phone markets are about 3 years ahead of the US as far as technology goes. Chances are, Apple will make it a GSM technology phone, which is actually quite international!

Even so, the USA is in dire need of a decent cell phone. The fact that the Razr is so popular says it all. The Razr is a terrible phone (along with most other Motorolas for that matter). And the rest of the selection available is pretty sad too!

Personally I'm hoping for a smart phone of some sort, preferably with a full qwerty keyboard. But I'm not holding my breath.

iMacZealot
Jul 30, 2006, 01:45 AM

I have tried all four of the major cell companies in America except for Cingular, although my brother had it and travels a ton (new day, new city) and dropped it. Maybe it's better now.

Sprint has always been reliable for me, although their people will get you into a major frenzy with a $500 phone bill. The international is awful, might I add.

Verizon was reliable, although their network has been terrible. As I've said, I never get 3 bars or above, and I live in Denver! The service will constantly go out whenever I'm in NYC. The phones do seem to be cheap. My Samsung A670 is probably the only non-joke phone they had, and I've been pretty happy with it.

While I was in Sprint practically everyday trying to figure out what the hell I'd do for my trip to Singapore and Cambodia, they swindled me into signing up for 2 new phones and the SIM card for the international one never came! Luckily, my aunt was smart and had phones from T-Mobile with int'l rates of $0.99/min ($1.50 for Sprint, Verizon was even worse). Quite honestly, the voice quality was great, from here to Singapore. The service was really good, too. I'm just going to pay the Verizon termination fee and get a PEBL because I can't deal with the Nation's Most Unreliable network.

dextertangocci
Jul 30, 2006, 01:46 AM
my t-mobile contract expires in september..

maybe along with the mac pros, new macbook pros, intel core 2 duo, movies on iTunes, WWDC will bring about the iPhone and no-touch full screen video iPod..

*yeah right*

You forgot to ad in the 13.3" MBP. lol.

netdog
Jul 30, 2006, 01:54 AM
Why on earth should Apple "go with" a company like Verizon or anybody else?

Just sell the phone unlocked and let anybody with GSM service pop their sim into their iPhone. Perhaps make an unlocked CDMA phone as well.

If they have it right with this phone and there is then therefor the sort of demand for it that we have seen for the iPod, the providers will be forced to offer it according to how Apple dictates (can put music on using computer, etc.), rather than disabling the phone to suit the company's marketing schemes, and the providers will offer it at a discount to attain/retain customers.

You guys seem to think that the service providers dictate what phones we use. Beyond having to be compatible with the network that we choose to use (GSM or CDMA), they don't. I haven't gotten a phone from a service provider for years as I need a phone that I can pop a sim into that is appropriate for whatever country I am in.

Max on Macs
Jul 30, 2006, 01:57 AM
Given that I have 13 months on my contract remaining, I'd say the chances of Apple releasing a cell phone next month are incredibly hot. I wonder what the early cancellation fee is.... Hmmm.

fenixx
Jul 30, 2006, 02:01 AM
Please, Apple, release an iPhone.
Then I can flush this RAZR down the toilet.

bokdol
Jul 30, 2006, 02:06 AM
apple could start their own service. like virgin, ampd, boost, and now helio. they all have there own phones and service.

helio can send up dates to myspace.

so why not a .mac phone updater where you can send podcast to your .mac account through the phone. there could be some intresting things going on if apple has delayed the phone this long.... or maybe it will be just a phone that work on the cingular network. seeing that the itunes phones use cingular

phatpat88
Jul 30, 2006, 02:12 AM
Frankly, I don't buy engaget's report.. a "tech-unsavvy friend" sounds like complete BS. All the pros that would do something like that for apple would certainly be tech savvy, they have to now...

iMacZealot
Jul 30, 2006, 02:13 AM
apple could start their own service. like virgin, ampd, boost, and now helio. they all have there own phones and service.

Amp'd is actually owned by Verizon, adnd Boost is owned by SprintNextel, using the same chirping technology as Nextel. Forgot the deal about Virgin.

swingerofbirch
Jul 30, 2006, 02:24 AM
Maybe Apple can bring to the US the model where you pay to call not to receive!

HOORAY.

netdog
Jul 30, 2006, 03:05 AM
American cellular service is years behind the rest of the world. It is truly sad. I used to think that dropped lines and bad connections were just part of cell service. Now I realize that they are just part of American cell service.

joelypolly
Jul 30, 2006, 03:05 AM
Given that Apple has always went for the mid market components I don't think this phone will appeal to the phone nerds/freaks like me. But then us being freaks don't represent much of the market.
Personally I would love to see Apple pair up with Sharp to do a phone.

Currently I would say sharp has the best high-end mobile on the market that isn't symbian/WMP. You can't bet a phone with a 3.2MP camera, 2x optical zoom and a 640X480 screen. It's a really pity that if Apple brings out anything it will be 1.3MP camera, no zoom and prob a 320x240 screen... but I guess at least it will look good...

Most of the really good mobile phones are restricted to Japan only so hopefully apple can bring some of the cool stuff around the world.

netdog
Jul 30, 2006, 03:23 AM
If Apple get it right it will be the fashion phone of choice.

What will be really great is that, in addition to the above, something that is the critical factor as it was with iPod, it will also sync beautifully with Apple contacts, calendars, etc., driving more people to purchase Apple computers, even though I do expect that they will also bundle a nice piece of Windows software (a must).

Apples are already climbing in sales and many of my Windows-using friends are considering Macs for the first time now, not because of all the stuff endlessly debated here, but rather because the iMac and MacBooks are so bitchin'.

Steve Jobs is indeed finally capitalizing on "taste", an obcession of his from the early days. He was right when he said in the 80s that "the problem with Microsoft is that they have no taste. I mean that in a big sense." Now his company is poised to take a large portion of Microsoft's sales by exploiting that vulnerability.

People aren't realizing that OS X is better. They are falling in love with the new stylish Macs, obscure objects of desire. The fact that they are getting better and better, and that they are making a line of easily interoperable products (much more of this to come in the coming 12 months - media center, phone, and maybe even a UPMC) that just make life easier is just a plus that will help to sustain the brand.

Sharp. LOL.

steve_hill4
Jul 30, 2006, 05:04 AM
My contract exprires at the end of September, but I doubt I'd go for this too soon. Depends on what features it would have if it did materialise. However, good news Apple may still be positioning themselves for mp3 phones as well as smartphones, (that would play back mp3/aac). As Zune arrives, the market has already moved on.

This also reminds me, I need to go and pick up some AAAs for my Newton. ;)

Gepat
Jul 30, 2006, 05:06 AM
I guess the guy who told you that story can kiss his career (with apple) goodbye ;) There's not that many photographers who take pictures of upcoming Apple products ...

Anyway, I can't wait to see the phone...

mtrctyjoe
Jul 30, 2006, 05:13 AM
Here is why the new super iPhone will come out next week - because I just locked into some $%^&^% life long contract with Sprint. They own me and my first born.

and I know Sprint will never have a cool phone in it's line up... so...

Super Dave
Jul 30, 2006, 05:16 AM
This sounds cool. Initially, though; I was kind of turned off by the idea of Apple doing a cellphone.

Unfortunately, I'm pulled back into thinking, "What could Apple do with phones that hasn't already been done." Small, light, photos, video, internet, music, games, personal organization? Most of this is pretty well covered with the current offerings. So what is going to be the selling point here? Is it going to be expensive or affordable? Is it going to be full-featured or bare bones?

Without even getting into new things, they could just do it well. Cell phones have interfaces like goats. Every single one of them.

David:cool:

netdog
Jul 30, 2006, 05:22 AM
Without even getting into new things, they could just do it well. Cell phones have interfaces like goats. Every single one of them.

I'm klnd of scared to ask how you interface with a goat Dave. I didn't know they allowed that kind of stuff in Canada.

Super Dave
Jul 30, 2006, 05:26 AM
Apple owns iphone.org (ownership info) (http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=www.iphone.org). It just mirrors their homepage, but has a different IP. It appears they've owned it for a while. Is this old news?

Ancient. At least 3 years, maybe more.

David :cool:

kaboutertje
Jul 30, 2006, 05:39 AM
I'm ready to ditch my PEBL along with my RAZR if they design a easy to use stylish phone that will sync with my contacts.
A full size touchscreen but a sleek design, hmmm....

What I would like:
- 4gig for mp3's
- sync with my contacts

The rest I don't care for that much, unless they implement it really good offcourse. The camera is integrated rather well in the pebl and razr so it doesn't annoy me, but I never use it anyways (maybe because the quality is crap :) )

Raidersmojo
Jul 30, 2006, 05:48 AM
one problem, that will never happen. Alltel does not own their network or even remotly have any form of cash to set it up. they just rent their network. Second, you can offer as much as of a cool device as you want, but its not going to cause millions of people to just dump their plans, break their contracts and switch. Mac cool-aid, down, now!

going to have to say you're wrong on that one

my dad has said if apple comes out with a cell phone hes canceling all of our cell phone plans and getting apples. he has a verizon treo my step mom brother and sister have nextel phones

aswitcher
Jul 30, 2006, 06:07 AM
So hope the iPhone happens.

genetechnics
Jul 30, 2006, 06:14 AM

So we need cell computers.

http://geocities.com/gene_technics

steve_hill4
Jul 30, 2006, 06:19 AM
I'm thinking names of apples or names related to them working again.

Looking here (http://www.allaboutapples.com/varieties/), I like Beacon. Just as long as not Crab Apple.

Detlev
Jul 30, 2006, 06:23 AM

I stated this exactly in a previous thread but I could change my stance if I could be convinced of one or more of the following were possible.
1. Could Apple improve their iChat to compete with the likes of skype, etc?
2. Could Apple provide such a service?
3. Could Apple create an iPod tele without removing what is already available in an iPod?
4. Could there be a iTel AV to connect to iChat AV.

Even if the photographer's visit was legit from the sound of it, it is an entirely new product so I'd have to assume that it was just another phone. Whomever they jump into bed with (service provider) would have to be big, really big. Another thing detracting from the story is that the telephone companies are notoriously slow getting product into their stores whereas when Apple releases something it is in store (Apple store that is) rather quickly. AND I don't see Apple selling another company's cell phone service in-store.

appletastic
Jul 30, 2006, 06:34 AM
Iphone? I just can't see it... It will kill their ipod sales - it will be like shooting themselves in the foot. The reason is that all phones are now free with a contract - we have difficulty in having any value in our phones nowadays.. if you had a free iphone with a contract which had ipod facilities then why would you buy an ipod? It just doesnt make sense.. unless they ONLY sell it sim free. If they do bring one out then i'll certainly buy one, but I am not sure that it is such a good idea... I'd rather they produced a phone/pda hybrid like the xda - I think that this would fit better into their existing product portfolio..

macridah
Jul 30, 2006, 06:41 AM
I hope it will be a GSM phone. If the AppleBerry rumors are true, then that would be sweet, too.

genetechnics
Jul 30, 2006, 06:54 AM
So we need cell computers.

http://geocities.com/gene_technics

A real device that works.

j26
Jul 30, 2006, 06:55 AM
I hope it will be a GSM phone. If the AppleBerry rumors are true, then that would be sweet, too.

If it's not GSM it will be a massive failure. Focusing on a relatively small under developed market (the US) would be silly when a vibrannt global market is out there. Europe, Japan, and most importantly China (proobably the biggest growing market for phones) all work on GSM.

skunk
Jul 30, 2006, 06:56 AM
I guess the guy who told you that story can kiss his career (with apple) goodbye ;) There's not that many photographers who take pictures of upcoming Apple products ...

Anyway, I can't wait to see the phone...But what better leak could you have?"the sleekest, sexiest damn phone he's ever seen."
If they are making a phone, it's a pretty good teaser.

Raidersmojo
Jul 30, 2006, 07:07 AM
Iphone? I just can't see it... It will kill their ipod sales - it will be like shooting themselves in the foot. The reason is that all phones are now free with a contract - we have difficulty in having any value in our phones nowadays.. if you had a free iphone with a contract which had ipod facilities then why would you buy an ipod? It just doesnt make sense.. unless they ONLY sell it sim free. If they do bring one out then i'll certainly buy one, but I am not sure that it is such a good idea... I'd rather they produced a phone/pda hybrid like the xda - I think that this would fit better into their existing product portfolio..

or most people (like me) want to carry around one device that will do everything, I could listen to music but when I need to I'd grab it and make a call. in the future everything is going to come in one product, apple is seeing the future now and jumping in it feet first

just imagine microsoft "here is the zune! it has wifi! hey hey haaaaaaay" enter steve jobs "heres the award winning ipod...oh by the way ring ring ring it's a phone, PDA, carries files, and has bluetooth"
microsoft "well....at least we have vista!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
jobs: "when?"
microsoft "isn't the zune great!"

and how would it kill ipod sales? more than likely it would take the place of something such as the shuffle.

and they are taking away from ipod sales...yeah from themselves thats like saying the macbooks are taking sales away from the macbook pros...does it really matter? all looks the same at the quarterly report $$$$$$

if I had the iphone my way it'd have these features

able to sync to my mac with ical ect
a easy to use interface
ichat
video ichat...this could be a cool idea, the camera isn't to big on the laptops and what not, they could squeeze that into the enclosure and have mobile video chat...it'd be cool....it'd be a wholel new way to have phone sex at least :eek: :D ;)
firm feel
sexy look
and a good keypad I HATE the keypad on the razr and such

I wish they'd release a phone like the iTalk commercial, I don't like the dual flip though, have that as a normal flip phone and you are right on the money about a BA product (badass)

Hattig
Jul 30, 2006, 07:13 AM
Someone above mentioned the software that would be required on the Windows side for syncing.

Well, in the supposed leaked 10.5 screenshots a month or two ago, people noticed that iCal and Address Book appeared to be merged into a single application.

Apple's got its interface libraries and more working on Windows already - iTunes, Quicktime. I'm sure that whilst not simple, it wouldn't be too hard to get this new PIM application running on Windows. Same with iPhoto, for camera phone pictures.

So the iPhone's Windows software pack would comprise of iTunes, iPhoto, and iCal/iPIM. Clearly iPIM will have iSync capability integrated into it, much like iTunes and iPhoto manage their own data syncing themselves. I hope there is a way to sync text and multimedia messages too. Indeed iPIM may be more targetted for these phones, and include necessary photo syncing capabilities from iPhoto itself.

On the Mac, the iPIM (someone think of a better name!) app may be separate from iCal/Address Book/iPhoto/etc, but merely sync the data to each of these applications' datastores, whilst providing a simplified GUI interface for each of these datatypes in a single application.

What do other people think?

aswitcher
Jul 30, 2006, 07:14 AM
i dont think this will be a dream feature phone but it will work wonderfully with iSync and .Mac, iTunes, iPhoto, Frontrow (BT controller), Mail, iCal, AddressBook etc

I hope it has a 2 megapixel camera and at least half a gig of ram.

genetechnics
Jul 30, 2006, 07:20 AM
"The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted the spoons." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wooden spoons?

Chaszmyr
Jul 30, 2006, 07:31 AM
I prefer flip phones, but I highly doubt Apple would introduce a flipphone, because Steve Jobs hates moving parts.

Bern
Jul 30, 2006, 07:33 AM
I wonder if this will be an American exclusive device (if at all it actually happens)?

I don't see phone companies picking up on this here in Australia very quickly, heck it took two years just to get ITMS.

I'd love to have an Apple mobile phone, but I just don't see it happening.

liketom
Jul 30, 2006, 07:36 AM
so what CPU would power the phone ?

GregA
Jul 30, 2006, 07:45 AM
Very good questions.

- Apple could release a stylish simple phone with a simple interface, and the capability of an iPod shuffle built in. There would really be nothing special about such a phone - at most they might give it 3G data connections so someone with a MacBook could use it to get on the net.

- They could certainly be the first provider to make a phone that can ONLY be used handsfree (via the headphones).

- They could leverage their airport base stations to release a VoIP phone that works at home, work, and wireless hotspots.

- The obvious untapped area is integration of VoIP, 3G, & video - but all the big companies are looking at that. The other thing that most mobile companies are having trouble with is the killer app - so many phones have data connectivity, and people just don't know what to do with it. If Apple can make a compelling product there the phone companies will want to sell it.

ps. Apple might choose to make a phone with no music capability... just to delineate the product. That gives people something to understand... and then they can release the combo products.

ezekielrage_99
Jul 30, 2006, 07:48 AM
Been there heard that....

Boring (dammit there are no sleeping emotion icons)

thejadedmonkey
Jul 30, 2006, 07:50 AM
Most likely an ARM CPU, or something similar.

Motorolla uses 312 Mhz ARM's...

GregA
Jul 30, 2006, 07:54 AM
Just thinking about "compelling applications", and pulling a couple of rumors together...

What happened to the rumour that Apple was making a groupware application? What would happen if you implemented a group scheduling and interaction application on a iPad /phone device. Something that allows for shared calendaring & room bookings, as well as a light development environment for a customised family and/or business mobile-intranet?

genetechnics
Jul 30, 2006, 08:04 AM
Very good questions.
ps. Apple might choose to make a phone with no music capability... just to delineate the product. That gives people something to understand... and then they can release the combo products.

It's Apple Computer.

j_maddison
Jul 30, 2006, 08:11 AM
If they somehow include a full qwerty thumb keyboard, this sleek and sexy phone is mine.

Hmm you just made me think. Cell phones are very subjective, and what one person thinks is a sleek sexy phone another person will hate. Personally I hate the concept of qwerty keyboards, I have one on my blackberry and I just wish it had a stylus instead.

Someone else mentioned a flippy phone, I prefer the slide phones. My current phone is a Nokia 8800, and my three phones before that were two 8910i's and an 8910. I don't really care for features on a phone, its all about the way it looks. And if its too cheap, I probaby won't buy it. That was the reason I never bothered with the Razr phone when it first came out in the UK.

I hope Apple's new phone is as revolutionary as the nano was wen it was introduced, and I hope its pricey too!

Jay

Hattig
Jul 30, 2006, 08:17 AM
Something based off of the ARM architecture. Maybe a TI OMAP processor (a 150MHz TI OMAP 1510 powers my Motorola phone, that has an integrated ARM9 CPU, I could see an Apple phone using the newer 1710 for example). There's dozens of other mobile phone chipset providers of course, with their own ARM based solutions integrating varying types of functionality.

hyperpasta
Jul 30, 2006, 08:22 AM
Really, guys. How many times have we been through this?

Detlev
Jul 30, 2006, 08:38 AM
- The obvious untapped area is integration of VoIP, 3G, & video - but all the big companies are looking at that. The other thing that most mobile companies are having trouble with is the killer app - so many phones have data connectivity, and people just don't know what to do with it. If Apple can make a compelling product there the phone companies will want to sell it.

Exactly. How could a non-player break open the market without the big companies support and infrastructure? It's not a computer that people want to carry around. It is an extremely simple to use, not bulky, communication device.

Using VoIP and 3G technology would be great but what service is ready to provide it in the U.S.? Apple is not going to sell cell phones to a few hundred people in three or four U.S. metropolitan markets and make money on it unless there is a way to open up the VoIP market BUT VoIP is going to get smothered in Washington politics soon enough so don't plan on that being free or useful (especially if NET NEUTRALITY is eliminated). A 3G phone would spark interest only from the standpoint that none of the networks could provide national (never mind international) service. It is a loosing proposition but I agree, they would have to differentiate it from other products (if it were real). Again the supposed photographer did not say it was an iPod phone. S/he would have made that observation.

Another thing about this mystery phone. Have there been any licenses pulled by Apple for telecommunications devices? There have been patents for all sorts of neat things but this would fall into a new category for them, would it not. Therefore there would be a rash of legal moves going on.

I'm skeptical of the whole cell phone idea. Would there be more use for a home phone or walkie talkie type radio, satellite, a computer phone accessory, or something else? I just don't see Apple providing hardware that gets limited distribution, where you would have to sign up for a two or three year service plan with yet another unreliable service provider that within a year or two will be merged into yet another, and a .Mac account if you do not have it yet, and the possibility that you have to cancel an existing contract with penalty. It just doesn't add up. It would be the most expensive cell phone/package on the market.

SodaPopMonster
Jul 30, 2006, 08:52 AM
Remember the "Proximity sensor" patent?

That would be a great way to have a keyboard and numbers, wouldn't it?

2+2

Dr.Gargoyle
Jul 30, 2006, 08:53 AM
An iPod with phone capabilities is a both natural and necessary step for Apple. Seeing how e.g. SonyEricsson already provides cellphones with 4 Gb stored music, Apple needs to act fast.
The interface of the iPod is brilliant, but I still believe that most people prefer one device instead of lugging around on both a cellphone and a Nano. The simple fact is that most of us have too many gadgets today; cellphone/iPod/digCam/PDA/GPS... You shouldn't need a dolly just to be able to bring all your "necessary" mobile electronic gadgets with you. Hence, including phone capabilities in the iPod is vital if Apple wants to stay in the mp3 market long term.

AtHomeBoy_2000
Jul 30, 2006, 09:10 AM

How successful are MVNOs? Last I heard ESPN and Disney mobile are rumored to be shutting down due to low subscriber numbers.

someguy
Jul 30, 2006, 09:10 AM
Not happening. Never in a million years. (Trying to reverse-jinx it.) :D

I've got a Nextel plan that I hate and a phone I can't stand (Motorola i830), so if this phone is reasonably priced and works on the Verizon network, it's mine for sure. :)

mojohanna
Jul 30, 2006, 09:12 AM

Just sell the phone unlocked and let anybody with GSM service pop their sim into their iPhone. Perhaps make an unlocked CDMA phone as well.

If they have it right with this phone and there is then therefor the sort of demand for it that we have seen for the iPod, the providers will be forced to offer it according to how Apple dictates (can put music on using computer, etc.), rather than disabling the phone to suit the company's marketing schemes, and the providers will offer it at a discount to attain/retain customers.

You guys seem to think that the service providers dictate what phones we use. Beyond having to be compatible with the network that we choose to use (GSM or CDMA), they don't. I haven't gotten a phone from a service provider for years as I need a phone that I can pop a sim into that is appropriate for whatever country I am in.

I'm with you I think this is the most likely scenario for a release of an Apple branded phone. That way you will get all of the cool features available to you and YOU can pick the carrier you want or the one that works best in your state, city, area.

DTphonehome
Jul 30, 2006, 09:20 AM
Even so, the USA is in dire need of a decent cell phone. The fact that the Razr is so popular says it all. The Razr is a terrible phone (along with most other Motorolas for that matter). And the rest of the selection available is pretty sad too!

It's true...but I don't see it changing anytime soon. Americans are used to getting free or cheap phones when they sign up for a carrier contract. The carriers subsidize the cost so that expensive phones can be had for <$200. They RARELY pay full retail price ($300-$700) on a phone...mainly only when they break theirs and still have time on their contract. The way I understand it, the rest of the world pays full retail everytime they want a new phone. Is this right?

spo
Jul 30, 2006, 09:24 AM
what are the odds that apple, in order to reinvent the mobile experience, has teamed with a voip chip maker etc. to provide mobile voice and video (ichat mobile) over IP?

this somehow makes more sense than co-branding a unit or "piggy backing" onto current carriers... then again, failure on this scale would be the biggest "jump the shark" moment in their history.

aricher
Jul 30, 2006, 09:27 AM
Also, I have a hard time believing that there is a " tech-unsavvy" photographer doing any work for Apple. Sounds a bit bogus to me.

I used to work as a photo studio manager back in the early/mid 90s. We shot a ton of new products for Motorola back then including one of the first ever small flip phones - the StarTac. The photographer was asked to sign an NDA but the stylist, caterer and me were not. First thing I did when I got out of the shoot that day was tell all my teck-savvy friends about this cool new phone from Moto - but at least I snagged a polaroid to prove it.

That said, this "leak" feels bogus to me as well. I guess we'll see soon enough.

DTphonehome
Jul 30, 2006, 09:28 AM
Verizon was reliable, although their network has been terrible. As I've said, I never get 3 bars or above, and I live in Denver! The service will constantly go out whenever I'm in NYC.

Dude, you need to hit *228 when you travel to update your roam list. And I live in Midtown Manhattan and with my Treo650, I've never had a dropped call and the only time I don't have service is in the basement of a massive building. I've lived in NYC all my life and have had a phone with literally every provider here, and VZV trumps them ALL in terms of network reliability. The phones are crap, the data is overpriced, and they cripple bluetooth, but the service is the most important feature for me, so I stay with them.

Amp'd is actually owned by Verizon, adnd Boost is owned by SprintNextel, using the same chirping technology as Nextel. Forgot the deal about Virgin.

None of those companies are "owned" by the major carriers...they are MVNOs who buy bandwidth from the majors to set up their own virtual network. They are independent from the majors.

jfinke
Jul 30, 2006, 09:29 AM
personally, I would love to see the newton make a return in phone shape.

A phone, with great pda abilities to sync to all my mac applications. Plus, the iChat someone mentioned earlier.

All of that, in a nice sleek package. I would switch phone carriers for that.

I could care less about cameras and iTunes on the phone.

DTphonehome
Jul 30, 2006, 09:30 AM
what are the odds that apple, in order to reinvent the mobile experience, has teamed with a voip chip maker etc. to provide mobile voice and video (ichat mobile) over IP?

this somehow makes more sense than co-branding a unit or "piggy backing" onto current carriers... then again, failure on this scale would be the biggest "jump the shark" moment in their history.

You'd have to have an open WiFi network anywhere you wanted to make a phone call. WiFi is not NEAR the coverage level of cell service. In my opinion, VOIP cell phones are way overhyped. When WiBro is widespred and ubiquitous, then maybe.

Yvan256
Jul 30, 2006, 09:33 AM
Really, guys. How many times have we been through this?

As many times as "Apple is switching to Intel", I'd guess.

[...] Americans are used to getting free or cheap phones when they sign up for a carrier contract. [...] The way I understand it, the rest of the world pays full retail everytime they want a new phone. Is this right?

It's true in Canada, too. I went with a 3-years contract with Bell Mobility and my phone (a LG something) was free.

Super Dave
Jul 30, 2006, 09:36 AM
Someone above mentioned the software that would be required on the Windows side for syncing.

Well, in the supposed leaked 10.5 screenshots a month or two ago, people noticed that iCal and Address Book appeared to be merged into a single application.

Hey dude, with all due consideration, bad fake screenshots don't even rank along side a rumour of a rumour as far as a useful source of information.

Hattig
Jul 30, 2006, 09:43 AM
How successful are MVNOs? Last I heard ESPN and Disney mobile are rumored to be shutting down due to low subscriber numbers.

Disney -> Steve Jobs -> Apple ;)

Who'd get a mobile phone on an ESPN or Disney network anyway? Free sport clips or Mickey Mouse backgrounds?

Hey dude, with all due consideration, bad fake screenshots don't even rank along side a rumour of a rumour as far as a useful source of information.

I don't usually have the time to find out if something's fake or not, but the /point/ of my post remains.

genetechnics
Jul 30, 2006, 09:48 AM
Remember the "Proximity sensor" patent?

That would be a great way to have a keyboard and numbers, wouldn't it?

2+2

God loves Trinity.

2+2 = 6

DTphonehome
Jul 30, 2006, 09:53 AM
Who'd get a mobile phone on an ESPN or Disney network anyway? Free sport clips or Mickey Mouse backgrounds?

http://disneymobile.go.com/disneymobile/home.do

http://mobile.espn.go.com/

Google is your friend.

Mac Fly (film)
Jul 30, 2006, 10:19 AM
iChat + Address Book for Windows (one app). Firstly I think the phone itself will be called "iPod Phone" as the trademark for iPhone is already taken, Apple would want to make it clear that it has iPod functionality, it's the next obvious choice for its name, and it's a very Apple thing to do. Right that's settled.

Now how will it integrate with Mac's and PC's? Simple, iChat 4.0 will have the Address Book built-in, maybe a calander/scheduler apps functionality too and it will go Windows, as iTunes did. Mac users will get their photos from iPhoto, and Windows user from the Windows *equivalent. Contacts from iChat4, schedules form iChat4, music from iTunes, photos from photo apps. Job done that's iChat and the iPod Phone covered.

Please note: the above is wild speculation ;)
*may not be equivalent:D

Cinch
Jul 30, 2006, 10:26 AM
Yeah tell me about it.

For me it is $175 which is no big deal if you are a early adopter of tech. A more likely scenario that a lot of people here ellude to is for Cingular, T-mobile, Verizon etc. to adopt the phone, in which case we'll only have to pay for the phone. Of course expect premium price, which for a stock holder is not a bad scenario!

Cinch

iJawn108
Jul 30, 2006, 11:06 AM
Ah man. I wanted a cheap, robust, no-BS phone. I don't know what my next cellphone will be. I just don't feel like investing a lot into a cellphone. What I want to do is to just TALK! I feel the same.

I'd like apple to release a shuffle sized phone that is ,durable,sleek, simple, has no camera, no internetbrowsing, a small LED display.

But alas that will never happen. The iPhone could be enough for me to venture out into territory i haven't in over...5 years now. OWNING A CELL! ;)

Make it good apple so I can throw my $ at you without hesitation.

Detlev
Jul 30, 2006, 11:16 AM
Firstly I think the phone itself will be called "iPod Phone" as the trademark for iPhone is already taken...
But then the acronym would be iPP :D

netdog
Jul 30, 2006, 11:23 AM
In honor of Gene Rodenberry, iCommunicator, or iCom

Cygnus311
Jul 30, 2006, 11:27 AM
I'm in the same boat as the guy that just wants to talk. I don't want a camera, a web browser, CRAP games, ketchup dispenser, and can opener. I just want a PHONE. It drives me crazy because I want something small I can hardly feel in my pocket and not something that's a foot long when I "flip" it open (Razr). BUT...with ALL that being said, I would buy an iPod phone. It would be SWEET to not have to carry around my iPod and cell anymore but have them both as one. What happens if I'm listening to a song with my headphones and a call comes in. Will it pause the song and allow me to answer the call? Will I be able to use the headphones for the call? Will they build a microphone into that I don't have to hold the thing up to my head like some cell's speaker phones do?

Cobrien
Jul 30, 2006, 11:39 AM
I cant believe the problems which I have seen with phone companies in America. I have never had a dropped call in my life, my signal is almost always full and in Britain, almost every phone is available on all networks and sim free except for some phones on the 3 network.

Anyway I do hope that this phone comes out, my ROKR is shockingly bad and freezes every time I miss a call.

I also hope it will have 3G. The new RAZR has 3G which shows it doesnt have to be very bulky to use.

Bonte
Jul 30, 2006, 11:48 AM
Me thinks WWDC will be great for us. Apple only presents max 3 major items on a keynote and has now already introduced, more series on iTunes, the educational iMac and a wireless mouse. So greater (pro?) news must be ready for the conference.

wyatt23
Jul 30, 2006, 11:54 AM
well i hate brag, but i already have the apple cell phone.

macbook + skype :D

the full qwerty keypad is really what sold me.

Thataboy
Jul 30, 2006, 11:54 AM
If this ever happens, I would bet the farm that Apple will do it with their own MVNO. I would make a reasonable guess that this MVNO would be based on Sprint.

In every facet, Apple is about the fully-inegrated Apple end-to-end solution. The one time I can think of where they tried it (ROKR), it was a dismal failure. Why would Apple create an unbelievable phone, just to have the likes of VERIZON cripple every feature on it?

I would guess Sprint because they are the only company that has reasonably-priced high-speed data. Apple surely would want access to a high-speed data network, and Sprint's Power Vision is very cheap and already fairly widespread.

I think the killer feature would be iChat Mobile... To be able to video chat with your friends on the go -- people would eat it up. I don't know why no one has done it yet, as it seems the technology is already there.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how this all plays out, if it ever does at all. I don't think there have been any successful MVNOs, but Apple is the one who could pull it off.

Cobrien
Jul 30, 2006, 12:15 PM
Oh, more rumours are coming in, my previous dog's owners' great granddaughter has told me about a new iPod, as much as I would like this to be true, it's not going to be.

manu chao
Jul 30, 2006, 12:20 PM
It's true...but I don't see it changing anytime soon. Americans are used to getting free or cheap phones when they sign up for a carrier contract. The carriers subsidize the cost so that expensive phones can be had for <$200. They RARELY pay full retail price ($300-$700) on a phone...mainly only when they break theirs and still have time on their contract. The way I understand it, the rest of the world pays full retail everytime they want a new phone. Is this right?

In Europe, it is pretty much the same as in the US, most people get their cell phone with a contract.

Bonte
Jul 30, 2006, 12:23 PM
But then the acronym would iPP :D

Or iPod iPhone - iPiP :)

www.iphone.org (http://www.iphone.org)

Peace
Jul 30, 2006, 12:23 PM
The latest iPod firmware has references to phone signal strength etc.
Apple purchased a very large data center capable of uplink/downlink communications a few months ago.
http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1557
Oppenheimer alluded to Apple working on a cell phone in the Q3 conference call.

I'd say the evidence is there for a "type" of cell phone coming soon from Apple.

manu chao
Jul 30, 2006, 12:27 PM
They [flip phones] have more moving parts that can break ...
True, but as long as my RAZR keeps working, my personal perception of how high that risk is, tells me that this is not an important factor.

and take longer to answer, especially if your hands are full or you're driving
your car.
It still takes longer to get my cellphone out of my pocket than to flip it open. I can flip it open with one hand and without having to look at it (somehow important when driving).

puuukeey
Jul 30, 2006, 12:28 PM
If apple can make it so that cellphones don't suck the user into a void where s/he unaware that they are pissing the living ***** out of everyone around them, well then they are TRUE gods

DTphonehome
Jul 30, 2006, 12:38 PM
What happens if I'm listening to a song with my headphones and a call comes in. Will it pause the song and allow me to answer the call? Will I be able to use the headphones for the call? Will they build a microphone into that I don't have to hold the thing up to my head like some cell's speaker phones do?

It seems reasonable to assume that the cell phone will pause your music, and you will be able to talk into a mic on the headset. Additionally, there would probably be a button on the headset so you can answer and hang up a call (and adjust volume/tracks) without taking the phone out of your pocket. My ancient Samsung Uproar (http://www.samsungtelecom.com/uproar/index.html) had all those capabilities (and a whopping 64 MB RAM!) more than 5 years ago.

(I actually really liked that phone...I only stopped using it because I had to switch from Sprint due to unbearable lack of reception.)

mulze22
Jul 30, 2006, 12:55 PM
Great. Now I have to wait and see if that phone comes out or get a Nokia 6682. We'll see I guess.

ryboflavo
Jul 30, 2006, 01:13 PM
I'd say get the Nokia 6682 until January, which is when the Apple phone is more likely to be announced. Just a guess, I doubt Apple would announce such a product at WWDC. Who knows? By the way, the Nokia 6682 is probably the best phone on the market right now. Cosmetically, it's decent and fuctionally, it out performs most. Good size for phone for those who actually like holding a phone to your ear and yet, small enough to carry around.

January, and probably won't be called in iPhone. Apple will innovate a whole new concept to music and how we use cell phones. Let's not limit our thinking to just iPods and cell phones. I read an article awhile back about Apple's interest in the high-speed Internet market (for cell phones). Imagine if calling someone was more like an audio/video chat instead. Now that would be sweet.

Rybo

thejedipunk
Jul 30, 2006, 01:14 PM

Exactly what I was thinking. Practically all phones are sold unlocked. There's no need to deal with the providers because all they have to do is provide reception for actual phone use. Perhaps it's possible for Apple to create their own wireless data network to access the net on the phone. It would be accessed via standard Wifi. Very similar to the Nintendo WiFi connection.

This is of course if the phone is real. Even if it was, it wouldn't be at WWDC. You people here take these rumors too serious. It's like a few others have mentioned: a tech-unsavvy photographer? Please. Photographers are the most tech-savvy people on earth. Especially considering that alot of them are indie-hipster art majors, they are obviously consumed in Apple products and the latest and greatest gear from Canon, Nikon and the like. And there has to have been an NDA. My analysis: Apple is spreading rumors just for ***** and giggles.

amac4me
Jul 30, 2006, 01:15 PM
Perhaps we'll see it intro'd at WWDC when Steve says:

"One More Thing"

Who knows, considering that WWDC is developer centric, what if Apple releases an API to allow either software to be ported to the device's OS and to allow third-party developers to write applications for the phone. I'm really looking forward to this year's WWDC more than I have past event. It's getting exciting.

ddrueckhammer
Jul 30, 2006, 01:22 PM
To those who just want a phone that works. If this iPod Phone doesn't work out, I would recommend the new Nokia 6103 (T-mobile) or its Cingular equivalant in the US. It has superb call quality compared to all the other phones I have had including RAZRs. It does have other features like Bluetooth, Speakerphone, Camera, mp3 ringers etc, but the main point is that it is a durable phone that can make a receive calls at very good quality. The other features are bonuses. I don't know why Nokia has the best call quality, (at least on T-mobile and Cingular in my area) but in my experience this is no myth.

coyote
Jul 30, 2006, 01:41 PM
Without the providers on board, you won't get [Retail $350, with 2 Year Plan $50] for the phone, you'll just get [Price $350].

And do you really think that this would be bad for Apple? They'll fly out of the Apple Stores, and eventually Cingular will beg to be allowed to sell them.

ddrueckhammer
Jul 30, 2006, 01:53 PM
And do you really think that this would be bad for Apple? They'll fly out of the Apple Stores, and eventually Cingular will beg to be allowed to sell them.

That's if they can get a major cell company in the US to support them. I can see all of the carriers here saying no because they don't want people to be able to get music from their computer. They want to sell it to you at $2-3. Their attitude is, if people will pay $2-3 for a 30 second clip, then how much will they pay for the full song? The answer, at least $2-$3...

OhEsTen
Jul 30, 2006, 02:09 PM
Yeah tell me about it.

....Your left nut, your firstborn child and a small goat.

I hate verizon so much....that I began hating James Earl Jones simply for the fact he was their spokesman for so long...

KindredMAC
Jul 30, 2006, 02:20 PM
Blah Blah Blah..... how many times are we gonna hear about this elusive Apple iPhone???????

dhollister
Jul 30, 2006, 02:54 PM
Man, I hope once and for all these rumors are true. The phone market has gotten extremely crappy. Even Sony and Nokia are making mostly ugly-ass phones. Symbian has gotten out of control. Really, in my opinion, the only interface that isn't awful is Motorola's (which I used to hate) and the only phones that aren't butt-ugly are the SLVR and that new black slim flipphone under Sprint.

EternalTL2k3
Jul 30, 2006, 03:11 PM
one of my favorite phones back in the day were those small nokias which had one of the best menus I have tried. Currently I have the sony T616 which has a decent menu system but not great. I've tried the motorola ones and am not impressed at all which is why I stay away from the SLVR and RAZR. Hopefully the iphone or whatever it will be called will look great, have a great menu system, and play at least 1GB of songs --- thats just my wishlist

Dalriada
Jul 30, 2006, 03:19 PM
Nice piece of work over at www.floatingpears.com

http://www.floatingpears.com/garage/iPhone.jpg

:D :D :D

aswitcher
Jul 30, 2006, 03:31 PM
Nice piece of work over at www.floatingpears.com

<image>

:D :D :D

Almost perfect. I think it needs one more button below the screen for dedicated shortcuts so I can personalise my access.

Also add in an IR port in the top so I can use it as a remote with Frontrow (when BT isn't a good choice) and more easily eschange files with older phones.

4GB and 8GB options would really bbe iPod subs.

infobhan
Jul 30, 2006, 03:36 PM
If nothing else, Apple getting into the phone business will give Microsoft some competition. These Windows "smartphone" OS based phones are popping up everywhere.

tigertrainer
Jul 30, 2006, 04:05 PM
OMG, I hope this happens. My credit card will leap out of my wallet like a spawning salmon if:
*it had serious iPod functionality
*it had a normal minijack for headphones instead of some annoying proprietary one
*Wifi for use with VoIP like Gizmo Project
*Bluetooth
*iCal and adressbook mobile versions with sync
*Video and Camera with flash, mobile iPhoto
*Imagine built-in camera used in iChat!

I hope Apple goes with their own new network. This way we can tell those greedy-a$$ comunications companies who give us crappy phones, expensive service, and crippled features to ***** off. YES! :D

arnizzlewhizzle
Jul 30, 2006, 04:15 PM
do you think they'd make it work with cingular and the rest, or do think they'd make their own service like helio?

jsalzer
Jul 30, 2006, 04:26 PM

Ah, but the new iPhone can be purchased as a part of the package with a MacBook Pro - as it will conveniently fit into the ExpressCard/34 slot. It can be pulled out and used as a stand-alone phone, or it can be left in the slot to allow the user a full iChatAV phone experience from anywhere on the road.

That slot had to be put there for a reason - and the remote doesn't fit. Right?

:)

OK, maybe not.

netdog
Jul 30, 2006, 04:42 PM
do you think they'd make it work with cingular and the rest, or do think they'd make their own service like helio?

I would bet it will come out as GSM initially, though perhaps they will release a CDMA as well.

ddrueckhammer
Jul 30, 2006, 05:57 PM
I hope Apple goes with their own new network.

It would be extremely difficult for them to start their own new network. Since they have billions in the bank, I wouldn't doubt that they could build it, but I doubt that the FCC would provide them a license. There may be some loopholes in FCC regulations allowing this if they provided data services as well, such as presence information (think instant messanger only on a cell where you would know in advance if the person you are going to call is available) or Voip/VoWiFi services... More likely, I could see them being an "MVNO" Mobile Virtual Network Operator like Disney or ESPN who basically resell Sprint service...I see becoming a mobile provider as being a distraction from their primary business goals and even being an MVNO is more trouble than it is worth. They need to get one of the major cell providers to support their phone for it to be a success. Unfortunately, the iPhone goes against the strategic interests of most of these companies...

scibry
Jul 30, 2006, 05:57 PM
I stated this exactly in a previous thread but I could change my stance if I could be convinced of one or more of the following were possible.
1. Could Apple improve their iChat to compete with the likes of skype, etc?
2. Could Apple provide such a service?
3. Could Apple create an iPod tele without removing what is already available in an iPod?
4. Could there be a iTel AV to connect to iChat AV.

Even if the photographer's visit was legit from the sound of it, it is an entirely new product so I'd have to assume that it was just another phone. Whomever they jump into bed with (service provider) would have to be big, really big. Another thing detracting from the story is that the telephone companies are notoriously slow getting product into their stores whereas when Apple releases something it is in store (Apple store that is) rather quickly. AND I don't see Apple selling another company's cell phone service in-store.

All I have to say is that Apple will ideally solve the voice chat market's needs, connecting us to any person with a phone or computer cheaply or for free and offering a beginner wireless to wireless service perhaps through an iPod accessory. I use Skype from my Mac to talk unlimited and free to a friend in Nederlands (also on Skype) unlimited and free because not everyone uses AIM (or has a Mac with iChat). He for example uses MSN. Adium is an example of software that unifies the IM experience and iChat is not. iChat's best features are not usable by my foreign PC using friends with other IM services like Yahoo! and MSN (which are now apparently merging). If Apple can support Microsoft Office they can surely support MSN and they already do in Address Book. So not only do they need to offer voice chat to homes but they also need to offer voice chat to EVERY modern computer/PC.

Will there be a cell phone? I was thinking maybe a walkie talkie built into an iPod.

fishtank22
Jul 30, 2006, 06:23 PM
and by now, that photographer has been killed ... or more likely been fired by Apple :)

naco
Jul 30, 2006, 06:40 PM
" While I'm sure if it is true..."

it is true, i saw a add for it in a magazine. it gave the website: www.iphone.org,
but when i typed that in, all it gave me was the apple website with the .org URL. and its not a flip phone. its made by Sony Ericson. I believe this is why an Apple logo showed up on that one thing Sony was showing.

i saw the real one on the back pages of a "MacBook" magazine. would have bought it, but it was $30.http://www.ipodnoticias.com/uploaded_images/iphone-701958.jpg
it was this add

matznentosh
Jul 30, 2006, 06:49 PM
...Verizon was reliable, although their network has been terrible. As I've said, I never get 3 bars or above, and I live in Denver! The service will constantly go out whenever I'm in NYC. The phones do seem to be cheap. My Samsung A670 is probably the only non-joke phone they had, and I've been pretty happy with it.

I have Verizon, my wife T-Mobile. T-Mobile works fine in New York City, and so does Verizon. Especially in the past year Verizon has spent literally a fortune improving their reception, so that dead spots are much fewer than they used to be. I believe this is why they ignore "cool" phones, they are going for reliability with companies who buy in bulk for their employees, not really for consumers - go to a Verizon store if you want to be convinced they don't really care about the common man -

but what I am trying to say is, that I disagree about reception of Verizon: it's very good, and especially so outside of the major business cities like NYC and Washington. My wife's T-Mobile often is out of range when we travel, and we have to use my Verizon phone.

That said, Verizon rarely, with the exception of the recent Treo 700p, gets the really cool phones, so will probably bypass Apple as well.

jabooth
Jul 30, 2006, 06:54 PM
I'm with the few who feel it will be SIM free.

Think about it - cracking into the cell phone market is a complex business. I know apple has money but setting up their own service??

Thats a serious gamble....

Seems much more likely to me that they would make a phone that you can just order from the apple store and shove your SIM card in.

People think nothing of spending 200+ on an ipod - why would buying an ipod with intergrated phone features seem any different?? (if properly priced).

Also, with simply making the hardware apple can easily sell overseas - UK networks are GSM just like USA and the rest of Europe. They can mass produce one product and sell it at both sides of the Atlantic - then they can sign on with individual providers and sell the 'iphone' it the more traditional light with contracts.

iMacZealot
Jul 30, 2006, 07:37 PM
I have Verizon, my wife T-Mobile. T-Mobile works fine in New York City, and so does Verizon. Especially in the past year Verizon has spent literally a fortune improving their reception, so that dead spots are much fewer than they used to be. I believe this is why they ignore "cool" phones, they are going for reliability with companies who buy in bulk for their employees, not really for consumers - go to a Verizon store if you want to be convinced they don't really care about the common man -

but what I am trying to say is, that I disagree about reception of Verizon: it's very good, and especially so outside of the major business cities like NYC and Washington. My wife's T-Mobile often is out of range when we travel, and we have to use my Verizon phone.

That said, Verizon rarely, with the exception of the recent Treo 700p, gets the really cool phones, so will probably bypass Apple as well.

I do agree that Verizon does not care about the layman, but I never get very good service here in Denver or if I visit my sisters in the bay area. I don't know why, but I just never get three bars or above usually at my house. Whenever I go to NYC, I spend most, if not all my time in Times Square and it just seems to constantly go in and out. I think T-Mobile is actually the best choice when it comes to international travel. Sprint is $1.50/min. and didn't even work in Rome, T-Mobile is $.99/min., and let's not even think about VZW's plans. T-Mobile worked for me from Here to LAX to TPE to SIN to KUL to even REP. Besides, they have a better minutes/dollar ratio than any of the other three major carriers and the coverage checker I checked works in every city I visit normally which are NYC, the Lamorinda Area, Vail, Boston, Denver (my home), and of course, everywhere else in the world.

foureyedsoul
Jul 30, 2006, 07:45 PM
But then the acronym would iPP :D

True - but in order to make long-time Mac users feel like they're the "in-crowd", they could call it the "Wild iPP" (pronounced: "eep")!:D

All it would take for me to become seriously interested in an Apple-branded phone would be for it to have an easy way to sync iCal and Address Book with my Mac, although if they're actually making one I assume they'll put some nano-sized music storage on it to keep it in line with the iPods.

Apple's all over "ease-of-use" strategy implies that they could definitely be the first company to make something that's a PDA, phone, and music player in one that doesn't look like a prop from an old cyberpunk B-movie - and is priced for consumers rather than business users, of course.

arnizzlewhizzle
Jul 30, 2006, 07:59 PM
i think cingular would be their best bet as a serious partner. their sim cards would be ideal for this.

Tommyg117
Jul 30, 2006, 08:07 PM
Verizon has the "in" network though. Everyone that I talk to has verizon, so I get to talk to them for free. Come on Apple for Verizon.

SilvorX
Jul 30, 2006, 08:12 PM

- The inablilty to do "texting :) :) :) :) :) :) " although there would be an option for "texting" but if someone were to select it a dialogue would come up , "YOU ARE RETARDED, just call them." the only option would be, "get hit by a bus"
5 megapixel seems unrealistic for a cellphone camera right now, but it would sure be nice, I have a 1.3 megapixel camera on my phone, just because it's 1.3 megapixels doesn't mean it's good quality, how do we know that the 5 megapixel camera will be any better? could be as grainy or worse as a low end VGA/megapixel camera :( but knowing Apple, some people will pay a shiny red cent for high quality camera anyways (esp Apple fans)

I disagree for inability to do texting, say if you are in a different country, where it costs say $3/minute just to call someone, or 50c just to send a text message (receiving is usually free), big difference if you just want to send a message of "I'm at the door" or "I'm leaving right now", I'm currently paying for long distance since I'm in a part of Canada that is not my home region, any time someone not from the area I'm in calls ME, I pay for it, and any time I call someone from home, I pay for it as well, so text messaging has really cut down on bills, I don't go over my minutes as much anymore with texting, since 90% of my calls were 1 minute or less calls, so thats where text messaging comes in handy. Although I would rather use a blackberry-like device with free email (if there was such thing, or have an email-only plan that doesnt require a data plan, like text messages)

skochan
Jul 30, 2006, 08:21 PM
Some rumors for the Verizon Chocolate (http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/cellphones/lg-vx8500-chocolate-to-verizon-confirmed-187461.php) suggest an AUGUST 7TH Release Date. That's the same day as the start of WWDC, when Apple's new products will be announced! Just a coincidence?

kev0476
Jul 30, 2006, 08:24 PM
i get 3g data for 12.75 a month, unlimited.

Just with the sprint = cheapest internet.

That deal is through my dad's work. sprint seems very interested in salt lake city, best coverage in slc, entire university of utah is full reception, even underground.

but then again, i did just buy the samsung a-900 a month ago. wow, karma is still kicking my ass. (i've done some bad things in the past :p )

mackiwi
Jul 30, 2006, 08:39 PM
umm....that magazine add looks rather real to me. WTF?:eek:

on another note, Vodafones 3G network here in NZ has video calls as standard on every phone they sell for the network. Its not revolutionary, they have had it since December last year. It doesnt cost any more than a regular mobile to mobile call. oh, and the person calling is the only one who pays (the fact that americans pay to answer a call is insane).:eek:

They also have an itunes sized music library that you can browse and download to your phone ( its 3.50NZD per track, which is about $2 USD). Its quite popular seeing as Apple has chosen not to have an Itunes store in New Zealand. They have sold hundreds of thousands of ipods, but there is nowhere to download songs legally. stupid huh? :(

We pay full retail for most phones, but we aren't locked into any sort of contract. And to the person who said txting should be banned from apples phone: why call someone for ten times the price of a SMS text when you dont need too?:confused:

RichP
Jul 30, 2006, 09:12 PM
Why would it be advantageous to ban texting? All these features on phones are simply functions of software, not requring excessive hardware technology, so its not like the phone would benefit from not having it.

Also, 5MP camera? Thats just ridiculous. The issue with all these phones is the lenses involved, not the resolution. Give me a 1.2MP that has some decent glass with it to take a picture rather than some bumped up resolution that is junk when I iSync the iPone to iPhoto :D Beside, the nokia phones that do actually have high resolution cameras are THICK. Over an inch. Im not saying we need the next razr here, but over 1" thick makes it uncomfortable to keep in your pocket.

And I think it will be SIM free too. As posted, we all go blow 200-400 on ipods, why not phones. Beside, if Apple just releases unlocked GSM phones, the carriers have no say. iTunes, iChat, VoiP when the wifi is available, its all open season if this thing isnt branded to a particular carrier.

DTphonehome
Jul 30, 2006, 09:26 PM
Some rumors for the Verizon Chocolate (http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/cellphones/lg-vx8500-chocolate-to-verizon-confirmed-187461.php) suggest an AUGUST 7TH Release Date. That's the same day as the start of WWDC, when Apple's new products will be announced! Just a coincidence?

There's signs all over NYC saying 7/31/06 for the chocolate.

obeygiant
Jul 30, 2006, 09:36 PM
this is the rumor that comes out when there are no rumors.

bigraz
Jul 30, 2006, 09:38 PM
The apple phone should be similar to the Sony P900 series, in that they are unlocked and work with any GSM phone. I don't think any store, Cingular, T-Mobile, etc. do not sell through the stores. You have to buy from Sony or elsewhere.

I had a P900 phone before the Treo 650 and it worked fine with Cingular.

Bring on a phone that can sync with ease and feel of Apple OS, so I don't have to rely on Palm, not that is that bad.

Apple for life!:D

john7jr
Jul 30, 2006, 09:38 PM

Those were admittedly fake by the artist. They were never meant to be mistaken as real to begin with. People took it too far. (go figure)

umm....that magazine add looks rather real to me. WTF?:eek:

Except it uses the font that Apple stopped using like 4 years ago.

Anyway...It will be GSM... No Verizon or Sprint at all... the rest of the world uses GSM, and eventually Sprint and Verizon will give in... as the phone market (mostly made overseas where the networks are GSM) eventually stop bothering with those stupid CDMA companies that are disabling their sync capability anyway. I tried to buy a Sony Ericsson from Sprint a few years ago when all the GSM networks had them... Sprint didn't have a single bluetooth phone then. I dropped them for Cingular and the Sony Ericsson T637 so I don't know if Sprint does now or not.

I got on the ship less likely to eventually sink.

mambodancer
Jul 30, 2006, 09:45 PM
[QUOTE=mackiwi]umm....that magazine add looks rather real to me. WTF?:eek:

iCreate magazine buts together a fake ad each issue. The ad shown is a kind of "What if" or "Wishful Thinking" feature of their magazine. Had the poster posted the full page graphic, you would have seen this.

poppe
Jul 30, 2006, 09:51 PM
That sad thing is... I'm Sprint... So I suppose I'll never get the iPhone when its released... Stupid CDMA, and your limiting me to phones...

slackintosh
Jul 30, 2006, 09:53 PM
As the previous post states, the typeface of that add should have caught anyone, apple undertook a subtle identity change around the time it introduced G4 ibooks, most significant was a change in typeface.....

I think the rumour is nothing but a rumour, wasn't it a similar mysterious source who mentioned to a gas station attendant the pending arrival of 42" Plasmas or some $#!+???

iMacZealot
Jul 30, 2006, 10:04 PM
this is the rumor that comes out when there are no rumors.

I know it's just a rumor that comes and goes just like the Mac Tablet, true video iPod, etc. However, the Intel rumors did materialise, so maybe, but from the source this story's coming from, I highly doubt.

boncellis
Jul 30, 2006, 10:24 PM

The wheel on the front of that phone looks very familiar...

I used to think that it all depended on the service provider, but now my feelings have changed. I would be plenty happy with a 4 GB Nano-like device with improved wireless synchronization for a better address book, email viewer, to-do list, etc. even without the phone capability.

bcharna
Jul 30, 2006, 10:28 PM
_

Peace
Jul 30, 2006, 10:32 PM
The Verizon Chocolate cellphone is made by LG Electronics of Korea.
http://www.lg.co.kr/english/index.jsp

peeInMyPantz
Jul 30, 2006, 10:37 PM
5 megapixel seems unrealistic for a cellphone camera right now, but it would sure be nice, I have a 1.3 megapixel camera on my phone, just because it's 1.3 megapixels doesn't mean it's good quality, how do we know that the 5 megapixel camera will be any better? could be as grainy or worse as a low end VGA/megapixel camera :( but knowing Apple, some people will pay a shiny red cent for high quality camera anyways (esp Apple fans)

I disagree for inability to do texting, say if you are in a different country, where it costs say $3/minute just to call someone, or 50c just to send a text message (receiving is usually free), big difference if you just want to send a message of "I'm at the door" or "I'm leaving right now", I'm currently paying for long distance since I'm in a part of Canada that is not my home region, any time someone not from the area I'm in calls ME, I pay for it, and any time I call someone from home, I pay for it as well, so text messaging has really cut down on bills, I don't go over my minutes as much anymore with texting, since 90% of my calls were 1 minute or less calls, so thats where text messaging comes in handy. Although I would rather use a blackberry-like device with free email (if there was such thing, or have an email-only plan that doesnt require a data plan, like text messages)

y not? there are already 6 mega pixels camera phones

Timepass
Jul 30, 2006, 11:15 PM

I am surpise no one said anything in the rest of the pages about this but I am just going to say What...

I hate the candy bar phones and I would never get the apple iPhone is it was not a flip phone.

Reason I like the flip phone. When talking on it it a closer to the size of a normal phone so it is easy to hold and talk on. Close it and it smaller than you candy bar phone in demition and fits in my pocket better.

I dont have to deal with a keygaurd and forgetting to put it on and I dont have to deal with turn it off. Just close my phone and every thing is covered.
I find it EASIER to answer them. Phone rings I glance down at the outside LCD and flip the phone open (all with one hand) and the call is answer (answer on flip) or I hit one of the side buttons to turn off the ringer all of this with out have to look at the phone. I can turn off the ringer with out taking it out of my pocket (cannt do that on a candy bar). Compare to a candy bar phone I would glace down at the LCD to see who is and then I would have to hit the talk button to answer it. yet again the flip phone wins

And to top all that off the main LCD and keys are ALWAYS protected when the phone is not in use (candy bar nope).

So far is Flip phone 3 candy bar 0. I like the flip phones long before they where a fad and I will contine to like them after the fad wears off. I didnt go back to candy bar when they where back in again. I stuck with the flip phone and contine to like the flip phone for the advatages I listed above.

brepublican
Jul 30, 2006, 11:17 PM
Yeah. I'm gonna go ahead and be the party pooper: there is no iPhone people. Let's concentrate on the 'true video iPod' rumors instead. Or bring back the 'PowerBook G5 next Tuesday!!1' threads. But this, not happening

And for good measure, I hope I am wrong ;)

floatingspirit
Jul 30, 2006, 11:25 PM

Here! Here! I second that! :)

dbhays
Jul 30, 2006, 11:30 PM
Boy, that phone is fugly!
http://home.earthlink.net/~dbhays2003/chocolate.jpg

It's the iphone killer no doubt!

bradc
Jul 30, 2006, 11:35 PM
Uhhhh boys,

check this:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?threadid=64885

iMeowbot
Jul 30, 2006, 11:37 PM
iphone.org isn't owned by Apple, therefore, Someone who wanted to fool people and couldn't afford to pay for a .com name could have easily bought this name and just directed it to apple.com.
It is owned by Apple, and has been for years. Nobody knows why, the .org would be kind of obscure for pushing a product.

iMacZealot
Jul 30, 2006, 11:44 PM
So far is Flip phone 3 candy bar 0. I like the flip phones long before they where a fad and I will contine to like them after the fad wears off. I didnt go back to candy bar when they where back in again. I stuck with the flip phone and contine to like the flip phone for the advatages I listed above.

I don't think the flip phones are fads. Look at all the phones on the market, and the most of them are flips. The most desireable ones are usually the flip phones and have been a while. I remember the first Nokia candybars were extremely popular but those never had that good of features and were cheap. In my opinion, flip phones are more durable (in most cases) and look better.

deepledee
Jul 30, 2006, 11:51 PM
No one is better than apple at keeping announcements of their products under wraps and other than one thing i might believe that this rumor is true. For any phone to be released in the US, it must apply and receive approval by the FCC. This information is always available to the public and that is why no phone can be released "secretly." The press would have wind of its approval by now if they do intend to announce the launch at the August conference...

sorry guys, i like the rest of you eagerly await an apple iphone

http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Contrary to recent reports (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/03/20060330174059.shtml), Engadget says that Apple's rumored "iPhone" may appear as early as August (http://www.engadget.com/2006/07/29/wild-speculation-iphone-to-launch-in-august/).

It has been well-established that Apple has been working on an Apple-branded phone for some time, however the release date has been difficult to pinpoint. Recently, various patents (1 (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/05/20060505202447.shtml), 2 (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/06/20060614074411.shtml)) have been uncovered regarding Apple's cell phone technology and Peter Oppenheimer made comments (http://www.macnn.com/articles/06/07/20/merrill.upgrades.aapl/) during Apple's Q3 2006 conference call virtually acknowledging Apple's work on the product, stating "We're not sitting around doing nothing" with regard to cell phones.

GregA
Jul 31, 2006, 12:22 AM
If this ever happens, I would bet the farm that Apple will do it with their own MVNO. I would make a reasonable guess that this MVNO would be based on Sprint.If Disney is truly thinking of shutting down their MVNO, perhaps Apple would go halves in it? It is a little outside of Apple's normal interests, but it'd be good for them to have a share. (this doesn't help us outside the US!)

As for WiFi:
You'd have to have an open WiFi network anywhere you wanted to make a phone call. WiFi is not NEAR the coverage level of cell service. In my opinion, VOIP cell phones are way overhyped. When WiBro is widespred and ubiquitous, then maybe.

If Apple make a VoIP phone (via Wifi with an Airport base station), naturally you'd have coverage in your home and at work, and Apple might make some strategic deals with WiFi Networks in many cities. At home & work you'd simply have a phone with no mobile charges. As you move about the city, it could update voicemail & email (etc) where possible. That solution would not require FCC approval.

I think the killer feature would be iChat Mobile... To be able to video chat with your friends on the go -- people would eat it up. I don't know why no one has done it yet, as it seems the technology is already there.You can already video chat with friends on the go. Are you suggesting this should be free?

Apple will innovate a whole new concept to music and how we use cell phones. Let's not limit our thinking to just iPods and cell phones. I read an article awhile back about Apple's interest in the high-speed Internet market (for cell phones). Imagine if calling someone was more like an audio/video chat instead. Now that would be sweet.

I think developing something for high speed internet is the answer. At the moment, wireless-Internet is an after thought in mobile phones. Always-on (via wifi or 3G) will enable new types of applications.

Who knows, considering that WWDC is developer centric, what if Apple releases an API to allow either software to be ported to the device's OS and to allow third-party developers to write applications for the phone. I'm really looking forward to this year's WWDC more than I have past event. It's getting exciting.

It would be interesting if Apple released a new development framework for mobile devices. Announce groupware technologies and the devices they'll work on, let developers come up with novel ideas.

Personally, I'm hoping Apple starts really simple.

iMeowbot
Jul 31, 2006, 12:26 AM
No one is better than apple at keeping announcements of their products under wraps and other than one thing i might believe that this rumor is true. For any phone to be released in the US, it must apply and receive approval by the FCC. This information is always available to the public and that is why no phone can be released "secretly." The press would have wind of its approval by now if they do intend to announce the launch at the August conference...

sorry guys, i like the rest of you eagerly await an apple iphone
FCC equipment documents are routinely kept confidential until the products are ready for release. There are even standard forms for this.

peeInMyPantz
Jul 31, 2006, 12:27 AM
I don't think the flip phones are fads. Look at all the phones on the market, and the most of them are flips. The most desireable ones are usually the flip phones and have been a while. I remember the first Nokia candybars were extremely popular but those never had that good of features and were cheap. In my opinion, flip phones are more durable (in most cases) and look better.
if you are talking about nokia.. it's sinking..
candy bar is still the best... esp those from Sony Ericsson..
I hope apple phone is good enough to replace my love for Sony Ericsson phone

aswitcher
Jul 31, 2006, 12:32 AM
" While I'm sure if it is true..."

it is true, i saw a add for it in a magazine. it gave the website: www.iphone.org,
but when i typed that in, all it gave me was the apple website with the .org URL. and its not a flip phone. its made by Sony Ericson. I believe this is why an Apple logo showed up on that one thing Sony was showing.

i saw the real one on the back pages of a "MacBook" magazine. would have bought it, but it was $30.http://www.ipodnoticias.com/uploaded_images/iphone-701958.jpg
it was this add

Wasn't this pic circulating as a fake some time back...

iMacZealot
Jul 31, 2006, 12:37 AM
if you are talking about nokia.. it's sinking..
candy bar is still the best... esp those from Sony Ericsson..
I hope apple phone is good enough to replace my love for Sony Ericsson phone

I just don't see any advantage for candy bars....at least in the US. Would you care to elaborate?

GregA
Jul 31, 2006, 12:51 AM
Just wondering - what would happen if Apple allowed Airport Extreme/Express etc (AND every Mac which has Wireless) to become a hub that anyone with a .Mac account could log in to and use?

Basically, as a Mac owner with a wireless card, you could elect to share your bandwidth for $5/GB (or something appropriate depending on country). Any .Mac subscriber could use your connection, and it would credit your .Mac account (redeemable on .Mac fees, roaming onto other people's networks, iTMS, or Apple store).

How much coverage would you get through this? Would it be legal?

Darrin Bell
Jul 31, 2006, 01:09 AM
Exactly. How could a non-player break open the market without the big companies support and infrastructure? It's not a computer that people want to carry around. It is an extremely simple to use, not bulky, communication device.

Using VoIP and 3G technology would be great but what service is ready to provide it in the U.S.?
Cingular. I just bought their new LG CU500, a 3G phone (still trying to get it to work as a modem with my Powerbook, but I have no clue how to do it -- I'll probably end up going into an Apple or Cingular store for help). Their high-speed network is fairly large in CA, and growing.

lazyrighteye
Jul 31, 2006, 01:13 AM

While I don't believe it will be a flip phone (more candy bar, something between an iPod and a Nano - speaking of, VZW recently announced their new Nanoish Chocolate: talk about a stupid name), everything else you speculate? Oh yeah. Dope.

Should a more integrated, Apple-branded phone hit the street, it is quite likely that I'll kick VZW to the curb. Real quick like. Penalty or not. There just seems SUCH an opportunity for someone to swoop in and redefine the cell phone market/experience.

APPL could be that someone...

netdog
Jul 31, 2006, 01:46 AM

That is only because CDMA had such a jump on GSM in the USA, and the GSM carriers in the USA are still smaller. Verizon also has a massive analog network that T-Mobile won't touch as their phones are GSM only.

Unfortunately, the free market approach adopted when installing networks in the USA has led to a number of problems, and while you might think Verizon service is good relative to the other US carriers, it cannot compare to the carriers in Europe who use a shared GSM network that was adopted after much deliberation. Like most of the world, we are GSM-only.

iMacZealot
Jul 31, 2006, 01:50 AM
That is only because CDMA had such a jump on GSM in the USA, and the GSM carriers in the USA are still smaller. Verizon also has a massive analog network that T-Mobile won't touch as their phones are GSM only.

Unfortunately, the free market approach adopted when installing networks in the USA has led to a number of problems, and while you might think Verizon service is good relative to the other US carriers, it cannot compare to the carriers in Europe who use a shared GSM network that was adopted after much deliberation. Like most of the world, we are GSM-only.

That's why I'm switching from VZW to T-Mobile!

netdog
Jul 31, 2006, 01:54 AM
Wifi. Free iChat/Skype calls from any Wifi hotspot. They can't leave this one out. If it is good enough, I might throw away my landline phone.

Yeah. I'm gonna go ahead and be the party pooper: there is no iPhone people. Let's concentrate on the 'true video iPod' rumors instead. Or bring back the 'PowerBook G5 next Tuesday!!1' threads. But this, not happening

And for good measure, I hope I am wrong ;)

I thought Apple confirmed that it was working on a phone during their 3Q financial report.

iFry
Jul 31, 2006, 02:30 AM
Wifi. Free iChat/Skype calls from any Wifi hotspot.

would be hot

MY FIRST POST. Hey everybody :D

donlphi
Jul 31, 2006, 02:36 AM
CHECK OUT THESE STRINGS I FOUND IN iPOD UPDATER!!!

strings "iPod Updater 2006-06-28.exe" | grep -i FEATURE
t_hw_feature_
t_hw_feature_
t_feature_
t_feature_app_A_CRAPPY_MACRUMOR
t_feature_app_THAT_HAS_BEEN_GOING
t_feature_app_ON_FOR_NEARLY_A_YEAR
t_feature_app_I_WILL_BELIEVE_IT
t_feature_app_WHEN_I_SEE_IT
t_feature_app_
t_feature_app_SCREW_THE_PHONE
t_feature_app_STICK_TO_COMPUTERS
t_feature_app_
t_feature_app_BRING BACK THE NEWTON_APP
t_feature_app_
t_feature_app_PLEASE_APP
t_feature_app_
t_feature_app_PREDICTING_AN_IPHONE
t_feature_app_IS_LIKE_PREDICTING_FASTER
t_feature_app_PROCESSORS_AND_MONITORS
t_feature_app_WITH_BETTER_RESOLUTION
t_feature_app_
t_feature_app_LOOKING_FORWARD_TO_AUGUST
t_feature_app_SO_YOU_ARE_ALL_DISAPPOINTED
t_feature_app_
t_feature_app_VIDEO_APP <---VIDEO CHAT WITH SKYPE???? WOOO HOO
t_feature_app_RADIO_APP
t_feature_app_RADIO_MOREREGIONS
t_feature_app_RADIO_SCANSUPPORT
t_feature_app_RADIO_DISPLAYFADED
t_feature_app_EAPPSHELL
t_feature_app_PHONE_APP <---------IT MUST MEAN AN iPHONE (HA HA HA)
t_feature_app_MESSENGER_APP
t_feature_app_CAL_APP
t_feature_app_TRAINER_APP
t_feature_app_SEARCH_APP
t_feature_SHUFFLESONGS
t_feature_READING_SPEED
t_feature_MULTIPLE_OTG
t_feature_PODCASTS
t_feature_LYRICS <----------KARAOKE FEATURE?
t_feature_CLOCK
t_feature_WORLD_CLOCK
t_feature_UNIT_TESTS
t_feature_FONT_MENU
t_feature_EXPANDED_FONT_CHOICES <-----MORE THAN ONE FONT???? WOW
t_feature_SHOWSETTINGVALUE
t_feature_ALBUM_ARTWORK
t_feature_EXTRAS_CACHE
t_feature_app_LOCK_APP
t_feature_ALARMS
t_feature_SPEAKERS
t_feature_CARDREADER_SUPPORTED
t_feature_iMA_TestImageFolder
t_feature_view_GRAPHICEQ
t_feature_view_INDICATOR
t_feature_view_OVERLAY
t_feature_view_APPLETALKBALLOON
t_feature_view_APPLEKEYBOARD
t_feature_graphics_COLOR
t_feature_APPEARANCE_CHOICES
t_feature_TIER3_LANGUAGES
t_feature_ALBUMART_BROWSE
t_feature_MENU_BACKGROUND
t_feature_STARTUP_PHOTO
t_feature_EXTRA_REMOTE_COMMANDS
t_feature_LOCK_ORIGINAL
t_feature_QUICKFIND
t_feature_CONTEXTUAL_MENUS
t_feature_BRIGHTNESS_CONTROL
t_feature_TIMEBOMB <---------CAREFUL WITH THIS ONE!!!!
__USE_ORIGINALLY_PLANNED_FEATURES___

I'm just as amazed as the rest of you!

See you on the 7th!

canolapop
Jul 31, 2006, 03:20 AM
couldn't they just release it as an UNLOCKED phone, sell it on their site and allow us to use it with who ever?

iMacZealot
Jul 31, 2006, 03:38 AM
CHECK OUT THESE STRINGS I FOUND IN iPOD UPDATER!!!

strings "iPod Updater 2006-06-28.exe" | grep -i FEATURE
t_hw_feature_
t_hw_feature_
t_feature_
t_feature_app_A_CRAPPY_MACRUMOR
t_feature_app_THAT_HAS_BEEN_GOING
t_feature_app_ON_FOR_NEARLY_A_YEAR
t_feature_app_I_WILL_BELIEVE_IT
t_feature_app_WHEN_I_SEE_IT
t_feature_app_
t_feature_app_SCREW_THE_PHONE
t_feature_app_STICK_TO_COMPUTERS
t_feature_app_
t_feature_app_BRING BACK THE NEWTON_APP
t_feature_app_
t_feature_app_PLEASE_APP
t_feature_app_
t_feature_app_PREDICTING_AN_IPHONE
t_feature_app_IS_LIKE_PREDICTING_FASTER
t_feature_app_PROCESSORS_AND_MONITORS
t_feature_app_WITH_BETTER_RESOLUTION
t_feature_app_
t_feature_app_LOOKING_FORWARD_TO_AUGUST
t_feature_app_SO_YOU_ARE_ALL_DISAPPOINTED
t_feature_app_
t_feature_app_VIDEO_APP <---VIDEO CHAT WITH SKYPE???? WOOO HOO
t_feature_app_RADIO_APP
t_feature_app_RADIO_MOREREGIONS
t_feature_app_RADIO_SCANSUPPORT
t_feature_app_RADIO_DISPLAYFADED
t_feature_app_EAPPSHELL
t_feature_app_PHONE_APP <---------IT MUST MEAN AN iPHONE (HA HA HA)
t_feature_app_MESSENGER_APP
t_feature_app_CAL_APP
t_feature_app_TRAINER_APP
t_feature_app_SEARCH_APP
t_feature_SHUFFLESONGS
t_feature_READING_SPEED
t_feature_MULTIPLE_OTG
t_feature_PODCASTS
t_feature_LYRICS <----------KARAOKE FEATURE?
t_feature_CLOCK
t_feature_WORLD_CLOCK
t_feature_UNIT_TESTS
t_feature_FONT_MENU
t_feature_EXPANDED_FONT_CHOICES <-----MORE THAN ONE FONT???? WOW
t_feature_SHOWSETTINGVALUE
t_feature_ALBUM_ARTWORK
t_feature_EXTRAS_CACHE
t_feature_app_LOCK_APP
t_feature_ALARMS
t_feature_SPEAKERS
t_feature_CARDREADER_SUPPORTED
t_feature_iMA_TestImageFolder
t_feature_view_GRAPHICEQ
t_feature_view_INDICATOR
t_feature_view_OVERLAY
t_feature_view_APPLETALKBALLOON
t_feature_view_APPLEKEYBOARD
t_feature_graphics_COLOR
t_feature_APPEARANCE_CHOICES
t_feature_TIER3_LANGUAGES
t_feature_ALBUMART_BROWSE
t_feature_MENU_BACKGROUND
t_feature_STARTUP_PHOTO
t_feature_EXTRA_REMOTE_COMMANDS
t_feature_LOCK_ORIGINAL
t_feature_QUICKFIND
t_feature_CONTEXTUAL_MENUS
t_feature_BRIGHTNESS_CONTROL
t_feature_TIMEBOMB <---------CAREFUL WITH THIS ONE!!!!
__USE_ORIGINALLY_PLANNED_FEATURES___

I'm just as amazed as the rest of you!

See you on the 7th!

Wow. That must've wasted a ton of your time.

I don't believe this rumour to be honest, but it's fun to spectulate.

netdog
Jul 31, 2006, 04:20 AM
Wow. That must've wasted a ton of your time.

I don't believe this rumour to be honest, but it's fun to spectulate.

For goodness sakes, the delivery date aside, Apple has already virtually confirmed that an Apple phone is on the way.

iMacZealot
Jul 31, 2006, 04:24 AM
For goodness sakes, the delivery date aside, Apple has already virtually confirmed that an Apple phone is on the way.

Let me rephrase that: I think we're all getting way too ahead of ourselves. The source of this all is some "tech-unsavvy photographer that Apple hires" according to another crappy tech website. I don't know if it's true or not, but we're all just way too ahead of ourselves with free phone calls through AirPort or whatever.

theappleguy
Jul 31, 2006, 04:27 AM
couldn't they just release it as an UNLOCKED phone, sell it on their site and allow us to use it with who ever?I'm sure they would. If they did choose to only make it available to Verizon/T-Mobile etc then they would either have to sell unlocked versions in other countries where those networks don't operate or loose a large amount of sales.

netdog
Jul 31, 2006, 04:28 AM
Let me rephrase that: I think we're all getting way too ahead of ourselves. The source of this all is some "tech-unsavvy photographer that Apple hires" according to another crappy tech website. I don't know if it's true or not, but we're all just way too ahead of ourselves with free phone calls through AirPort or whatever.

I'll be VERY surprised if the Apple phone doesn't support Wifi.

I'll be very surprised if iChat doesn't start supporting phone calls.

I be somewhat surprised if the Apple phone doesn't support Skype, though they may develop an iChat to compete with Skype (a mistake in my opinion).

TBR
Jul 31, 2006, 04:30 AM
I would go for an Apple phone if they are as easy to use and featurepacked as a sony erriccson, but with that special apple-y goodness like a wifi voip mode or ichat voice and video hook up or something.

That really would be very very cool.

infobhan
Jul 31, 2006, 05:17 AM
I'll be VERY surprised if the Apple phone doesn't support Wifi.

A WiFi phone would be unlikely, in my mind. WiFi is not yet ubiquitous, so this would be of limited usefulness. Furthermore, WiFi is a notorious waster of battery life, and this device will have to be small to be successful.

April Dancer
Jul 31, 2006, 05:49 AM
couldn't they just release it as an UNLOCKED phone, sell it on their site and allow us to use it with who ever?

I really think that would be the best and most sensible option. Sell it sim-free, put it on the shelves in the AS next to the iPods and it'll fly away... the first one into my pocket! It might affect sales of the Nano (but it's all Apple sales so...) but it won't touch the high end iPod. I'm keeping my 5G and replacing it with the fabled all singing all dancing 6G if it ever materialises.

My contract is up next month and I was eyeballing the SE W850 but if there's going to be an Apple logo on any phone soon, I'm having it. Sad I know but hey!

Mind you, how long will it take to get to the UK? I'll probably be able to complete another year's contract before then!

Jeevs bost
Jul 31, 2006, 06:12 AM
Sorry to be a killjoy but I know for a fact that if this photographer did do any work for Apple he would of had to of signed a non disclosure agreement and as such would of been 100% bound to it, (unless of course he never wanted to work again and get his ass sued off). I know because I am a digital illustrator ( http://www.anthony-robinson.com ) sorry couldn't resist! :D and if I ever do any ad work this is standard practice.
I'm not denying that Apple might be developing a phone but for sure, this guy knows nothing about it.

mackiwi
Jul 31, 2006, 06:22 AM
As other posters have said...they practically announced it during the last financial anaylyst conference call.

There will be a phone released. No question about that.

The questions are:

- when?
- features?
- will apple do it themselves or seek joint partners?

Jeevs bost
Jul 31, 2006, 06:30 AM
Yeah, agreed, but I'm just saying that there's no truth in the "photographer" crap. This is totally false.

artifex
Jul 31, 2006, 06:31 AM
I don't understand how this made it off Page 2.

mackiwi
Jul 31, 2006, 06:36 AM
true. the photographer thing is a bit whiffy.

I think its basically going to be similar to a nano, with a unique original keypad design and larger screen. maybe throw in an isight or 2 for good measure.

needthephone
Jul 31, 2006, 06:48 AM
I hope this is true. I have a nokia 6280 which I was given when I extended my 3 contract. At fisrt I thought who needs an ipod but as an MP3 player its an absolute dog. It keeps crashing, it has extremely basic playlist control and is best really as a random shuffle type player really.Not bad sound though.

As for the source of the rumour, just don't believe the photographer leak as everyone involved in product development signs NDA as everyone's pointed out.

If its true, I think Apple probably leaked it or authorised the leak to generate a buzz to counter the Zune buzz-it happens all the time. Record companies always protest when songs or albums are released on the net but I know a lot of these leaks are from the record companies themselves (or engineered by them). The publicity is gold dust.

I doubt we will see this phone in OZ for a while though even if it comes out in August (which I doubt somehow)

ddrueckhammer
Jul 31, 2006, 06:56 AM
A WiFi phone would be unlikely, in my mind. WiFi is not yet ubiquitous, so this would be of limited usefulness. Furthermore, WiFi is a notorious waster of battery life, and this device will have to be small to be successful.

People say this about bluetooth too but the thing is, you don't have to keep it on all the time (Bluetooth doesn't drain the battery on my phone because I turn it off when not in use). I would love to see some sort of wireless connectivity that can be turned on or off in order to sync wirelessly with a car stereo. This could replace CD players in cars if you could wirelessly play your music in any car you get into just by syncing your iPod with the network. Also, calls could be Wifi only when you are within the range of a Wifi network. It would be phenominal but I can see the carriers in the US trying to make it incompatible with their networks even if the phones are unlocked because it is inconsistent with their strategic goals. The US cell companies basically could care less about making a good product or their customers. They are ***holes...

kjdenison
Jul 31, 2006, 07:07 AM
great, and i just signed up for 2 years with t-mobile. thats usually my luck. I think it would be like 200$ to cancel.. not worth it

peeInMyPantz
Jul 31, 2006, 07:21 AM
I just don't see any advantage for candy bars....at least in the US. Would you care to elaborate?
no advantages.. it's just nice