Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
kaneda said:
Phone w/ HD...music player...video player...possibly games...

sync w/ ical, address book, iphoto, iweb, safari...chat using ichat mobile...

phone can be remote control for front row....

how much will it costs?

M$ will DIE!

The thing is, it would have to be windows compatible or they wouldn't sell that many. And wouldn't it lose some of it's cool features if it was?

Not that I think we're going to get an iPhone anytime soon, if ever.

lmg0910

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2006
Gsm = Old --- Cdma = New

iMacZealot said:
I bet that if Apple is making a phone, I would guess that they'd make it a GSM. I just see CDMA eventually going away. Sure CDMA has more subscribers (Sprint+Verizon=100M; Cingular+T-Mobile=75M) in the USA, but more in the world are GSM subscribers and I just see the norm having people carrying around their quad-band phones everywhere and working everywhere. Those are just my thoughts, though.

I happen to know for a fact that CDMA will not go away. CDMA is a newer technology that is replacing the older GSM standard that is only in Western Europe. GSM is old and good for talking, sending text messages, and very basic media transmissions (like pictures). CDMA is rapidly evolving and replacing GSM because it is capable of transmitting large amounts of data. CDMA is good for phone calls, text messages, transmission of pictures, transmission of video, VOIP, and other high speed, multimedia intense transmissions.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
sunfast said:
The thing is, it would have to be windows compatible or they wouldn't sell that many. And wouldn't it lose some of it's cool features if it was?

How do you figure? The iPod is Windows compatible. Anything you can do on a Mac with and iPod you can do on a PC with XP. Sync, photos, address book, music and movies (obviously).

macmax77

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2004
Peace said:
I can already see Phil sitting in the audience and then Job's cell phone rings..

Jobs: um..excuse me a sec..Seems I have a phone call..
Pulls out this cool looking cell phone,flips it open and says hello?
Phil: Say Steve,can we have a chat real fast ? then starts up iChat on his iPhone..
Jobs: starts up iChat on his cell phone..

The rest is history :D

i don't care, but i would buy one anyway, heheheh.

I just hope to have Mac OSX in the future and not winblows in my Mac:mad:

Gee

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2004
London, UK
Did anyone post this already? Much more realistic type of thing than those terrible ones on YouTube:

onyx1.jpg

Go check out the concept on the Synaptics (ex-iPod touchwheel makers) website.....

brbubba

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
lmg0910 said:
I happen to know for a fact that CDMA will not go away. CDMA is a newer technology that is replacing the older GSM standard that is only in Western Europe. GSM is old and good for talking, sending text messages, and very basic media transmissions (like pictures). CDMA is rapidly evolving and replacing GSM because it is capable of transmitting large amounts of data. CDMA is good for phone calls, text messages, transmission of pictures, transmission of video, VOIP, and other high speed, multimedia intense transmissions.

Huh? According to Wikipedia GSM is the world's most popular standard with over 2 billion users. I'll take GSM over CDMA any day of the week, everyone develops the best phones for GSM, obviously because its the largest market. In addition, GSM will never convert to CDMA, the upgrade path to 3G for GSM is UMTS, a completely unrelated protocol. The upgrade path for CDMA is CDMA2000. So its unlikely that US based CDMA or GSM carriers will be using the same protocols anytime soon.

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
Chupa Chupa said:
How do you figure? The iPod is Windows compatible. Anything you can do on a Mac with and iPod you can do on a PC with XP. Sync, photos, address book, music and movies (obviously).

Just not so easily is what I really meant. For OS X, the iPhone would sync seamlessly with iCal, address book etc - for windows it wouldn't be nearly as slick.

For example, my iPod syncs with iPhoto. Dead easy and simple. Don't you have to use some third party stuff for windows as there's no dedicated app? (I don't know - never done it)

I guess what I really mean is that the iPhone would be much more elegant if it was mac only as it could link up to OS X really well and be designed for the specific apps of the OS. But obviously it would have to be windows compatible and that may lose some of the simplicity / elegance.

I'll stop now, I'm rambling! :)

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2005
My sister showed me this pic...her friend apparently is a designer at apple. I didn't get too much into detail about it as she just sent it to me, but I thought I'd share. Could this be it?

Attachments

• iphone.png
    iphone.png
    108.8 KB · Views: 192

brbubba

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
iMacZealot said:
My sister showed me this pic...her friend apparently is a designer at apple. I didn't get too much into detail about it as she just sent it to me, but I thought I'd share. Could this be it?

I hope its fake, it looks like a damn treo/blackberry! I hate Treos and blackberries.

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2005
brbubba said:
I hope its fake, it looks like a damn treo/blackberry! I hate Treos and blackberries.

I haven't talked to my sister since I got the e-mail, but it looks real to me....

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2005
OK, it's a fake :rolleyes: . I wanted to see if I could fool anyone. It's a golden Blackberry and I edited it in PowerPoint, actually :D . I got the photo from Engadget Mobile. Although my sister does know someone that helped design the nano.

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
iMacZealot said:
OK, it's a fake :rolleyes:
There's no way Apple would design something like that. Since when have Apple's designs looked anything like the competition? ;)

Come on Apple, we're running out of days for an "Apple Phone In August"!

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2005
evilgEEk said:
There's no way Apple would design something like that. Since when have Apple's designs looked anything like the competition? ;)

Come on Apple, we're running out of days for an "Apple Phone In August"!

Yeah, I wasn't expecting anyone to fall for it, but it seemed like fun at the time. :D

As for the iPhone rumors, I doubt we will see one until the fall.

Peel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
Seattle
iPhone Focus Group?

I was just contacted by a market research company to participate in a focus group for a new cellular phone. As these qualification interviews go, they asked me the usual questions about my age, income, etc. but there were a few questions that make me wonder if this might not be for an iPhone. Here's the questions that I remember:

Do you use a laptop?
What operating system do you use?
Do you have an mp3 player?
What brand is it?
Have you ever purchased music off the internet?
What service did you use?

I managed to qualify, but the focus group isn't until Sep 20, so will have to wait and see what it is. But the question about which operating system I use on my laptop made me wonder if this might not be Apple.

Of course it could just be a post release follow up to Chocolate, or any other phone company trying to jump on the band wagon.

But until the 20th at least i can hope it's the new iPhone.

big

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2002
I just bought a Cingular SLVR, its nearly the Apple phone IMHO. Almost everything is ready to work with the computer, though wouldn't .Mac be integated?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.