PDA

View Full Version : Safari v65

MacRumors
Mar 12, 2003, 03:17 PM
A report of Safari v65:

- Autofill toolbar button (looks like a pencil writing)
- Autofill form option under edit menu now (works!)
- Open links from apps in existing window
- Always show tab bar
- Tab mouse over now the text turns white

Vlade
Mar 12, 2003, 03:31 PM
I wish they would release it, or anything past v60. There are some big problems (like not being able to log into CPanel for my web site) in the current one, plus I really want autofill

pivo6
Mar 12, 2003, 03:44 PM
Release it and I'll give it a try. Otherwise it's still Camino for me.

mangoman
Mar 12, 2003, 03:48 PM
Bring it! AND that %$#@ PowerPod...

:D

MrMacMan
Mar 12, 2003, 03:50 PM
Ah a good auto-fill. Sweet. :D

arn
Mar 12, 2003, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Vlade
I wish they would release it, or anything past v60. There are some big problems (like not being able to log into CPanel for my web site) in the current one, plus I really want autofill

I can log into Cpanel with v60

arn

Dale Sorel
Mar 12, 2003, 04:10 PM
I can't wait :D

howard
Mar 12, 2003, 04:20 PM
seems like there really working hard on it... but when are we gonna get it??

JW Pepper
Mar 12, 2003, 04:38 PM
Can you log into a Cobalt Qube with it? V60 does not work with the Qube even with the java update :mad:

macfreak
Mar 12, 2003, 04:39 PM
Geez, all this news about the latest version of Safari and not even one guess as to when it will be released. Its driving me insane! I want tabs, and I want them soon.

joed
Mar 12, 2003, 04:43 PM
I'm tempted to download these pre release version, but there's a reason Apple isn't releasing them to the public. So I'll wait!

Can't wait though. I'm using Safari more and more now, only use IE when pages don't render properly etc.

Wonder how long it will take before we'll see screen shots of v65! Hopefully soon :)

pseudobrit
Mar 12, 2003, 05:42 PM
I'm using v64 and love it. I like the tabs but really want the autofill to work. I had both v60 and v64 in my dock for about a day (in case v64 was too buggy, I could switch), but now it's v64 all the way. Just as fast, no bugs, and -- tabs!

[[ off topic portion removed. See this post (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?threadid=21793) ]]

Chad4Mac
Mar 12, 2003, 06:02 PM
Yea, I would really like v(whatever) to come out with tab browsing. I used to think that it was not that important, but after reading all the people on this site complain about its absence, now I realize the importance of such a function. For me it would end the constant Apple-N function; seriously I must do this twenty - thirty times a day.

Now that I think about it, autofill would be nice too...

Chad4Mac

bennetsaysargh
Mar 12, 2003, 06:46 PM
i can usually find the latest version of safari on a site. as soon as i get a copy of v65 i will post screenshots.

Pedro Estarque
Mar 12, 2003, 06:46 PM
version 64 can't download from ftp sites. And I find it slower then v60.
but tabs.... :)
I'm going to look for v65 and see how it is.

Vlade
Mar 12, 2003, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by arn

arn

I have 5.0 (I think, maybe 5.3 or something), and it keeps asking for the username and password, everytime i click ok 2 seconds later it comes back up again.

No big deal for me, i can stand using Internet Explorer once a week. But after using safari for a long time IE seams SO SO SO SO SO SLOW!!!! I never noticed it untill safari.

melchior
Mar 12, 2003, 08:57 PM
so, ummm, who's got Safari 65 now...?:D

drastik
Mar 12, 2003, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by arn

arn

As can I

mac15
Mar 12, 2003, 09:20 PM
Does it improve in speed ?

danman
Mar 12, 2003, 09:34 PM
I know why it aint released (hey I'm not complaining, it wasn't officially released)

It's full of bugs, both rendering, and with it's http 1.1 handling (missing re-directs, hanging completely on some servers)

just hang on, there has to be a new beta coming soon, where the new features are present, and the regressions have been dealt with.

Safari is getting a lot better... quickly... be patient.

JtheLemur
Mar 13, 2003, 07:56 AM
Meh, I've played with the v.62 release, but Camino still rules. It still has it's issues with ertain sites (like ebgames.com) and it seems v.70 has a bug or two in dealing with autofill passwords/working with Keychain, but it's still the best and fastest. :D

Mr. Anderson
Mar 13, 2003, 08:29 AM
What I don't get is that we've seen 0.62, 0.64 and now 0.65 making the rounds, yet the general masses are still stuck on 0.60? Doesn't make any sense to me.

I'd just like to see them get the speed up and send out Version 1.0.....

D

kay
Mar 13, 2003, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by dukestreet
What I don't get is that we've seen 0.62, 0.64 and now 0.65 making the rounds, yet the general masses are still stuck on 0.60? Doesn't make any sense to me.

I'd just like to see them get the speed up and send out Version 1.0.....

D

I've been using v64 since it became available, and there are many reasons why it hasn't been released yet, most notably serious rendering problems (mostly related to images).

It's not that easy to just "get the speed up" and release the product. They're trying to make Safari the best browser ever, and this takes time. My guess is it'll go 1.0 and be included with Mac OS X 10.3 (in the Dock; Internet Explorer will also be included, but not in the Dock).

MetallicPenguin
Mar 13, 2003, 09:46 AM
I know where to get v64 of safari, so i'm hoping the admin has a copy of v65. Is it available to developers or whoever yet?

jettredmont
Mar 13, 2003, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by danman
I know why it aint released (hey I'm not complaining, it wasn't officially released)

It's full of bugs, both rendering, and with it's http 1.1 handling (missing re-directs, hanging completely on some servers)

just hang on, there has to be a new beta coming soon, where the new features are present, and the regressions have been dealt with.

Safari is getting a lot better... quickly... be patient.

The bug (in v.62/.64) no one has mentioned that drives me mad (and the #1 reason I'm sticking with .60) is that it forgets scrollbar position on forward/back ...

I click on "quote" here, make a post, and then go back twice, I should be seeing the post I was looking at when I hit "quote" ... not so; I'm at the top of the page! .60 gets this right, and its such a fundmental web browsing behavior that I suspect Apple might just have it disabled until they really release the next beta just to annoy the leakers ...

Add to that the still un-fixed problems with textarea elements and garbage showing up in the status bar (turn on the status bar, open the "reply" page here, scroll the main page so that the reply area extends below the bottom of the page, and start typing ... the clipping region on the textarea is set wrong and so some bits of that last line of text gets left in the status bar!)

I dunno ... still not quite the polished software I expect from Apple. The next beta should at least work as well as the last, and 62/64 aren't there yet. So, they aren't ready for public beta testing.

yzedf
Mar 13, 2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by jettredmont
The bug (in v.62/.64) no one has mentioned that drives me mad (and the #1 reason I'm sticking with .60) is that it forgets scrollbar position on forward/back ...

I click on "quote" here, make a post, and then go back twice, I should be seeing the post I was looking at when I hit "quote" ... not so; I'm at the top of the page! .60 gets this right, and its such a fundmental web browsing behavior that I suspect Apple might just have it disabled until they really release the next beta just to annoy the leakers

Ctrl-click on quote, open in new tab. Do your thing, then submit. close tab.

Why have tabs if you don't use them the proper way???

djjuice
Mar 13, 2003, 12:36 PM
sorry to burst your bubble but there is no safari v65.. i get these builds and it has always gone up in build by 2.. v56, v58, v60, v62, v64.. v66 would be next whenever the build is out..
i'll look at a v65 if someone can post one.. i legally get these builds.. i do belive its a fake.. but prove me wrong please! give me a link i'll check it out and see just how "real" it is.

os4
Mar 13, 2003, 01:45 PM
I always found IE's Autofill feature useful, but it is Chimera's Keychain integration for ID/pswd information that is the winner for me. Do the current versions include that as part of autofill or will we have to wait for Apple to integrate with their own technology?

bennetsaysargh
Mar 13, 2003, 08:43 PM
Sadly enough, I am unable to find any traces of it anywhere I usually get betas of Safari. I also am warming up to the idea of only even number beta versions. It is a trend that seems to be true.
BTW-I am using Safari v64, and it is pretty good. The tabs are pretty cool, but I don't think there is any autofill in v64. Either that, or I'm just not looking.

backspinner
Mar 14, 2003, 07:04 AM
I tried v64, but it is still bug ridden. It has among others problems with postdata.

melchior
Mar 14, 2003, 07:09 AM
autofill works. i use it. it's useful. not as good as IE windows, but better than any other autofill's on the mac. (that i know of)

it's in the debug menu with everything else.

iJon
Mar 14, 2003, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by djjuice
sorry to burst your bubble but there is no safari v65.. i get these builds and it has always gone up in build by 2.. v56, v58, v60, v62, v64.. v66 would be next whenever the build is out..
i'll look at a v65 if someone can post one.. i legally get these builds.. i do belive its a fake.. but prove me wrong please! give me a link i'll check it out and see just how "real" it is.
what about build 51 that was released before 60.

iJon

Kid Red
Mar 14, 2003, 12:11 PM

Well, sorry to burst your bubble as obviously you have no idea what you are talking about. These builds are not available to the public. So because the public doesn't know about them, that means they don't exist? Yea, ok.

The biuld by 2 is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. If you had any clue you wouldn't have made it any clearer that you have no idea what you are talking about.

djjuice
Mar 14, 2003, 12:22 PM
your really stupid.. --^ im an adc member.. i get software seeds... someone has to beta test these.. how do you explain the 10.2.4 builds or any OS or software beta builds that arent available to the public.. head your little school boy ass over to connect.apple.com and pay your fee and get your software seeds as well.. and yes they have gone up by 2.. explain to me why it went from 56, 58, 60 ,62 ,64???
try again bucko...

Datazoid
Mar 14, 2003, 12:31 PM
your really stupid.. --^ im an adc member.. i get software seeds... someone has to beta test these.. how do you explain the 10.2.4 builds or any OS or software beta builds that arent available to the public.. head your little school boy ass over to connect.apple.com and pay your fee and get your software seeds as well.. and yes they have gone up by 2.. explain to me why it went from 56, 58, 60 ,62 ,64???
try again bucko...

Moderator.......

mangoman
Mar 14, 2003, 12:34 PM
Easy, girls. It's just software...

iJon
Mar 14, 2003, 04:21 PM
try again bucko...
well bucko, explain to me why its went from v50 to v51 if your so smart and know everything. and why dont you pull the stick out of your ass and stop talking like your so important.

iJon

djjuice
Mar 14, 2003, 04:23 PM
ok show v65.. prove me wrong.. ive moved on from this fake safari v65.. there is something real that is out now...

iJon
Mar 14, 2003, 04:26 PM
ok show v65.. prove me wrong.. ive moved on from this fake safari v65.. there is something real that is out now...
i am not talking about v65. you should we are all stupid and that software builds go up in incrimants of 2. i want you to tell me why there was a v51. go dig up your adc stuff and tell me about that one.

iJon

djjuice
Mar 14, 2003, 04:29 PM
safari goes up in builds by 2.. i didnt claim all software does.. and ok i researched the v51.. v51 was released fast cause there was a major security flaw in v50 but the features wanted in v52 werent implemented yet so it was a quick build to handle a serious issue..
thank you...

iJon
Mar 14, 2003, 04:32 PM
safari goes up in builds by 2.. i didnt claim all software does.. and ok i researched the v51.. v51 was released fast cause there was a major security flaw in v50 but the features wanted in v52 werent implemented yet so it was a quick build to handle a serious issue..
thank you...
ok at least you admitted you were wrong. now please treat people nicely here or go back to spymac. this thread was fun until you came on here and started saying you were some adc god which no one cares about.

iJon

benjaminpg
Mar 14, 2003, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by melchior
autofill works. i use it. it's useful. not as good as IE windows, but better than any other autofill's on the mac. (that i know of)

Is it as good as OmniWeb's. I personally find this the best solution, but I haven't experiemented with Camino/Chimera. It works by collecting a database of values. You select "Save form for autofill," after filling in a form. It stores the internal name of the fields, like fname, and the values you entered. Then if you click AutoFill Form, it fills in the fields it knows about.

After saving a few forms, it soon becomes very efficient, because most web developers use similar names for their forms.

I heard safari pulls it from the address book. The problem seems like it wouldn't know all the fields. For instance, you could set up the reply to post form here in OmniWeb to the settings you like, and it would remember.

MetallicPenguin
Mar 14, 2003, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by iJon
ok at least you admitted you were wrong. now please treat people nicely here or go back to spymac. this thread was fun until you came on here and started saying you were some adc god which no one cares about.

iJon

okay everyone settle down. oh yeah, thanks djjuice for the adc thing just registered:D

mangoman
Mar 14, 2003, 07:50 PM
yeah. I hafta admit, during the catfighting and the pulling of hair and what not, I actually learned something from DJExcuse or whatever your thing is.

Thanks for the info, DJ. I'll be checking myseff befo' I wreck myseff!

(haulin' my 'little boy ass' off to adc land)...

Catfish_Man
Mar 14, 2003, 08:00 PM
eh. I wish the accounts that got seeds didn't cost so dang much. I'm stuck on a stupid free account for now, the best I can get is the beta ip over firewire kext. Bah.

mangoman
Mar 14, 2003, 08:17 PM
Hey Juice: Are you Arjuna Veervagu?

MetallicPenguin
Mar 15, 2003, 08:47 AM
oh wait so I have to buy those $8000 packages to get seeds:(

oh well I'm not even a developer

djjuice
Mar 15, 2003, 08:51 AM
you have a choice of either premier $3500 or select $500.. it pays for itself.. ive gotten enough items in the mail to prove that...

bitfactory
Mar 15, 2003, 11:37 AM

i've been an ADC select member for years... they don't even post Safari builds at ADC connect. people have been getting them from other channels.

djjuice
Mar 15, 2003, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by bitfactory
i've been an ADC select member for years... they don't even post Safari builds at ADC connect. people have been getting them from other channels.

who said i was talking about safari in that post..
check your adc account there.. something new is out...

MetallicPenguin
Mar 15, 2003, 12:54 PM
what kind of stuff do you get? I'm interested

nichrome
Mar 15, 2003, 01:26 PM
Oh please. djjuice, if you honestly had a seeding account, you'd know that one needs to sign a non-disclosure agreement, which means you'd be breaking that agreement right now.

Alternatively, you may be participating in seeding but are too out of it to realize that your IP number, your Internet access point, your user account here and your identity (and thus your seeding account) are linked together. :confused:

Either way, your claim that Safari builds go up in increments of 2 is utter B.S.

MetallicPenguin
Mar 15, 2003, 02:04 PM
nichrome I'm sorry you need to get rid of anything that says penguin in it because it is my trademark, I have copyrighted it:D

nichrome
Mar 15, 2003, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by MetallicPenguin
nichrome I'm sorry you need to get rid of anything that says penguin in it because it is my trademark, I have copyrighted it:D
Haha. Okay, I switched my sig.

Anyway, about those ADC benefits and how they relate to Safari.

Paying ADC members get discounts on hardware, mailings containing SDKs, documentation and system software releases (like new Mac OS X versions). Additionally, they get discounts on third-party development tools.

Seeding members get Apple software testing seeds, meaning builds that are not internal but also not public. Safari's current betas, for instance, are neither public nor software seeds. The NDA seeding participators need to sign states that they are not allowed to name or discuss the software products, if any, they have obtained with their seed keys. Discussing the content or the nature of their role in the seeding program is also prohibited.

So, as I said, Safari is not a seeded piece of software, nor a publicly available one -- aside from a slightly old (although robust) public release. Thus, Safari is not available on ADC in any shape or form. However, ADC does host the WebCore (http://developer.apple.com/darwin/projects/webcore/) module, which includes Safari's implementation of KHTML and KJS. Basically, you could install Safari, get a new version of WebCore and plop it into Safari. My understanding is that Apple's internal Safari versioning follows the version numbers of the WebCore module they use -- and since there was and is a WebCore v65 (though not officially available), there most likely (cough) is a Safari v65 out there, too.

Whew, I stayed on topic. Sort of.

MetallicPenguin
Mar 15, 2003, 05:41 PM
yeah when I was searching for v65 of safari I noticed some Webcore v65 and then safari in the same querie

and yeah if youre an ADC member you get like 5-10% off iconfactory design services (and i was already thinking about hiring them)

Kid Red
Mar 16, 2003, 10:19 PM
try again bucko...

I had some snappy line here pulling at the strings that hold your fiber of mentality to gether, but inside deiced to simply explain, how in detail, it's possible that you have absolutely no idea about anything that has spilled out of your mouth in this entire thread. I don't explain anything other then to say you are clueless about beta software seeded to beta testers because it's obvious you aren't one. The betas are released to Apple Seed participnats who are all under NDA. So, unless leaked, you will have no idea what version, what changes etc take place from build to build. It doen't matter how the previous leaked versions were numbered, new builds are seeded, when, guess what, they are ready.

So bucko, why not go to Apple Seed (https://appleseed.apple.com:443/cgi-bin/WebObjects/SeedPortal.woa/1/wo/iGDk0Y0Z8t7rbSQ0XWbIw0/0.0.12.0.7.2.33.1) sign up and if selected by Apple, they will seed beta software to you to beta test for them and report back bugs or feature requests, under NDA of course.

:rolleyes:

djjuice
Mar 16, 2003, 10:27 PM
i paid my fee.. im an adc member.. you should pay yours.. and to prove it as soon as I signed up and paid my fee in the mail i got my dev kit. jaguar t-shirt 10.2 install cd etc..
and yes I can tell you the latest builds and previous.. you have a free seed test which is nothing compared to the beta tests and seeds im part of...
if your to cheap to pay for the adc account.. maybe you should ask your mom.. silly high school kids...

Kid Red
Mar 16, 2003, 10:34 PM
i paid my fee.. im an adc member.. you should pay yours.. and to prove it as soon as I signed up and paid my fee in the mail i got my dev kit. jaguar t-shirt 10.2 install cd etc..
and yes I can tell you the latest builds and previous.. you have a free seed test which is nothing compared to the beta tests and seeds im part of...
if your to cheap to pay for the adc account.. maybe you should ask your mom.. silly high school kids...

Idiot juice, firstly, unlike your age level, I am not in high school. I passed your age a long time ago. Since you are obviously incapable of grasping the concept of the Apple Seed Beta Software Program let me explain above and beyond my previous post. This isNOT the ADC program. This is NOT affiliated to the ADC program. This is in NO way RELATED, SIMLIAR or LIKE the ADC program. This is the APPLE SEED program. Obviously you are not an APPLE SEED paticipant because if youWERE and APPLE SEED participant, then you would KNOW all about the software that was SEEDED to the selected APPLE SEED participants. If you are NOT an APPLE SEED participant, then you have NO IDEA what software is currently being BETA TESTED.

Because I might be under NDA I can't give you any specifics, other then to say, you are CLUELESS and deeply disturbed.

Go outside and ride your bike. Oh, and those big red funny shpaed signs with white letters mean to peddle faster when you pass them.

djjuice
Mar 16, 2003, 10:38 PM
really.. look who is showing your true age.. talking **** online.. that shows just how big your balls really are.. ok your not a boy but a little kid.. grow up.. as a matter of fact.. come talk to me once you have a degree is something worthwhile...

[ unnecessary ]

Kid Red
Mar 16, 2003, 11:15 PM
LOL, yea, whatever. I'd say the same crap to your face. You come to me tlaking trash and I'm gonna step the same to you. As for you snide remoark, just look at any of your posts in this thread, it applies to them all and yet you contradict yourself by claiming I'm a kid.

Listen, discussion is over. You have no idea what version of Safari si currently being beta tested, so just wait for it to be leaked or released offically by Apple. There's no need to get personal or attack others because they know something you don't. I did and that was to return what was given. That might not be the maturist way to handle immature offensive commentts but that's the way I was rasied, give what I receive.

djjuice
Mar 16, 2003, 11:18 PM
what the hell is remoark mean?? and your funny little sign.. are you to dense to say octagon.. do you know your shapes?

and if you really would say it to my face i would welcome it.. but i hope you can back it up...

unfaded
Mar 17, 2003, 12:49 AM
Grow up, people. Geezus.

melchior
Mar 17, 2003, 01:26 AM
unfaded.. didn't know you posted here.

you may know me from the proteus forums! :D

unfaded
Mar 17, 2003, 02:21 AM
Why yes I do :o) I've got accounts here, in the adium forums, in the MacNN forums and many other places, all under the same name.

It's an old band name, and just stuck when coming up with user names.

mangoman
Mar 17, 2003, 05:40 AM
Hey kids. Here's a quick tip. If you're gonna type like you've got a pair, at least proofread your post before you click submit.

Then again, don't. Your poor grammar makes for entertaining reading, ESPECIALLY when you're trash talking.

:p

melchior
Mar 17, 2003, 07:00 AM
i think the problem is they get agitated and unable to think straight as they get so angry about whether or not safari builds come as even numbers only. their already poor grammar becomes diffifcult to understand, and eventually just gibberish.

relax boys, think about who you're flaming and then unleash your fury with surgical precision. not only will the person be flabbagasted, but you can actuall earn respect this way. 'your really stupid' isn't exactly a sophisticated example of your wit.

mangoman
Mar 17, 2003, 08:05 AM
...exactly.

Kid Red
Mar 17, 2003, 09:17 AM
The spelling flame is getting old, I can go thru any post on any forum and find mistakes. They happen, accept it. Besides, Safari still can't spell check as you type.

djjuice- yea, you are so cool. I could remember what shapes those funny red signs were. just remember to go faster when you see one
:rolleyes:

NavyIntel007
Mar 17, 2003, 10:55 AM

Nice. Trick people into thinking that you get these. Yeah send it my way too, I'm an expert.

NavyIntel007
Mar 17, 2003, 10:59 AM
what the hell is remoark mean?? and your funny little sign.. are you to dense to say octagon.. do you know your shapes?

and if you really would say it to my face i would welcome it.. but i hope you can back it up...

Herb Life.

Starting fights in a forum... tsk tsk. How juvenile. I think I used to do that at 15.

crushrus
Mar 17, 2003, 12:20 PM
did i really just watch two people make threats to one another over the build number of a web browser?
holy **** is that pathetic.

so pathetic infact, that i had to quit lurking and make an account just to comment on it.

Kid Red
Mar 17, 2003, 04:06 PM
I apologize crushrus, I have never been very reserved when someone attacks me on a personal level and people get brave orally on the net and I sometimes can't keep my composure. My bad.

As for Safari, I look forward to the next release, whatever version # it may be.

MetallicPenguin
Mar 18, 2003, 05:32 PM
god that was one hell of a fight....like many others have said, "...over a web browser."

I want to get seeds, but I dont have the money. And yes I will probably ask my mother