PDA

View Full Version : CNN, Adult Swim, and Cartoon Network on iTunes

MacRumors
Aug 1, 2006, 08:26 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple announced (http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2006/aug/01itms.html) today that they are continuing to aggressively license new video content for the iTunes Music Store.

TBS and Apple announced that programming from CNN, Adult Swim and the Cartoon Network is now available for purchase from iTunes.

CNN, the world' news leader, will provide original episodes of "CNN Presents," including "Taming the Beast: Inside the War on Cancer," "The Fight Over Faith" and "Captured: Inside the Army's Secret School." Drawing from the world’s largest cartoon library, Cartoon Network will provide episodes from the network’s series "Johnny Bravo" (season one). Adult Swim, Cartoon Network's late night sister service dedicated to edgy animated comedy and action series, will provide episodes from original productions, including "Aqua Teen Hunger Force," "The Venture Bros.," and "Sealab 2021" (season three).

Apple had recently added shows from E! and the WB (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/07/20060728132644.shtml) to iTunes.

SteveRichardson
Aug 1, 2006, 08:27 AM
i LOVE adult swim.

that's all.

Chundles
Aug 1, 2006, 08:28 AM
Now bring them to Aus!!

And bring back Seaquest DSV!!

SteveRichardson
Aug 1, 2006, 08:29 AM
gosh chundles, we're quick.

thejadedmonkey
Aug 1, 2006, 08:30 AM
I love how they just keep adding more and more and more..

What the hell is half this stuff anyway?

Eidorian
Aug 1, 2006, 08:32 AM
Adult Swim FTW :D

Chaszmyr
Aug 1, 2006, 08:33 AM
Wild Speculation:

Could it be that Apple is so frequently announcing new video programming in preparation for a new video iPod that is closer than we think?

Chundles
Aug 1, 2006, 08:38 AM
Wild Speculation:

Could it be that Apple is so frequently announcing new video programming in preparation for a new video iPod that is closer than we think?

That, or all the US TV stations realise they can make a quick buck out of this caper.

One guess which is more likely...

Chaszmyr
Aug 1, 2006, 08:39 AM
That, or all the US TV stations realise they can make a quick buck out of this caper.

One guess which is more likely...

You silly goose, this is MacRumors, you're going about this all wrong. You know what this really means? PowerBook G5 at WWDC!

Core Trio
Aug 1, 2006, 08:40 AM
I haven't purchased a single iTunes video since this all started.

However, Aqua Teen Hunger Force might be just temping enough. That show is wonderful.

Chundles
Aug 1, 2006, 08:41 AM
You silly goose, this is MacRumors, you're going about this all wrong. You know what this really means? PowerBook G5 at WWDC!

Next Tuesday? Really?!?! :D

MacVault
Aug 1, 2006, 08:42 AM
Some of these things I would like to "own" and therefore don't mind paying $1.99 each. But other things I'd just like to watch once and don't feel it's worth paying $1.99. So how bout a subscription service in addition to the download-to-own model?

rxse7en
Aug 1, 2006, 08:49 AM
Good news everybody!

Here's to hoping they put Venture Bros. Season 1 up!

B

balamw
Aug 1, 2006, 08:50 AM
Both CNN and Cartoon Network are Time Warner properties, so this is follow on from last week.

I hope that more CN shows are added. There are plenty that don't get much airtime on CN or even Boomerang (http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/tv_shows/boomerang/index.html) that someone would buy....

I for one might pick me up some Dexter's Lab or Duck Dodgers.

I for one hope that a new way of organizing the TV Show store is coming soon. They need to sort by genre and rating, etc....

B

twoodcc
Aug 1, 2006, 08:58 AM
I love how they just keep adding more and more and more..

What the hell is half this stuff anyway?

i agree. just keep'em coming :)

Lollypop
Aug 1, 2006, 08:58 AM
Good news as always, but what about everyone anywhere else in the world? I would love to get some of the stuff in the iTMS, and im willing to pay but Im not given the option, please apple.. i beg you!

eva01
Aug 1, 2006, 09:01 AM
*cry* still no anime on it.

But venture brothers kicks ass

so does robot chicken

al3000
Aug 1, 2006, 09:04 AM
I can't believe that there is still no content for the UK :(

alec
Aug 1, 2006, 09:06 AM
Yay for Adult Swim! And I like Apple being aggressive, they can't just stand on their heels and let other companies develop relationship for digital content.

BoyBach
Aug 1, 2006, 09:07 AM
I can't believe that there is still no content for the UK :(

I agree :(

Ktulu
Aug 1, 2006, 09:13 AM
They need to get The Oblongs on there.
That show is hysterical...TBS airs it Sun. 2:00 am and 4:00 am.:D

2nyRiggz
Aug 1, 2006, 09:18 AM
This is great....Birdman, ATHF and the Venture Bros I'll be downloading...maybe inuyasha(when it comes out).

Note: Oblongs show is on Adult Swim...Damn only three shows!?

Bless

baby duck monge
Aug 1, 2006, 09:23 AM
I'm so happy about Venture Brothers. I haven't been able to see anything from the new season because I don't get the cartoon network here at the house. This will save me from having to resort to... more nefarious methods of getting my fix! :cool:

CellarDoor
Aug 1, 2006, 09:32 AM

so does robot chicken

No kidding. However, Ghost in the Shell:SAC on iTMS would be a little too much for my brain. I might just pop an artery. Too much concentration of my favorite things.

kev0476
Aug 1, 2006, 09:56 AM
Venture bros!!!

They only have season 2 :(

Well season 1 will hopefully come soon.

I have only seen a few random ones but once they come out with season 1. awesome! :D

LimeiBook86
Aug 1, 2006, 09:56 AM
This is awesome news! Yes - I can catch up on those Venture Bros. episodes I have missed! Adult Swim rocks! Go Team Venture! :D ;)

Snowy_River
Aug 1, 2006, 09:59 AM
Good news as always, but what about everyone anywhere else in the world? I would love to get some of the stuff in the iTMS, and im willing to pay but Im not given the option, please apple.. i beg you!

Don't blame Apple entirely for this. I suspect that this is as much an issue of the content providers not allowing this world-wide. I'd guess that they are waiting to see how this model works in the US before licensing it elsewhere. So, complain to the content providers! Beg them! Don't blame it all on Apple! ;)

Snowy_River
Aug 1, 2006, 10:00 AM

so does robot chicken

You know, I noticed that omission, too. Hopefully they'll fix this absence, soon!

shawnce
Aug 1, 2006, 10:08 AM
Don't blame Apple entirely for this. I suspect that this is as much an issue of the content providers not allowing this world-wide. I'd guess that they are waiting to see how this model works in the US before licensing it elsewhere. So, complain to the content providers! Beg them! Don't blame it all on Apple! ;)

...and in some locations they actually have laws in place to protect the local entrainment industry from external competition requiring tariff like payments or contracts with a local distributor.

asxtb
Aug 1, 2006, 10:09 AM
I hate you Apple!!!! I hate you iTunes!!!! Must not download Aqua Teen Hunger Force.... Uh, too late.... :rolleyes:

Stridder44
Aug 1, 2006, 10:25 AM
i LOVE adult swim.

that's all.

AMEN!! Thank you Lord.

http://www.genreonline.net/Genre_files/go_team_venture.jpg

bignumbers
Aug 1, 2006, 10:33 AM
Maybe this means CNN will add Quicktime to their streaming video services? The stuff looks pretty good, but they're using crappy WMV which requires horrible plugins so I never watch it.

(I doubt there's much connection between their content licensing people and their web people, but I can dream can't I?)

Some_Big_Spoon
Aug 1, 2006, 10:33 AM
It's good to see iTunes branching out more and more. ATHF, VB, SL20201, Scrubs, and more coupled with the "free" episodes" they have of certain shows are making things more interesting for me.

I'm still a TiVo > HD person, or a DLer of shows, but the immediate gratification thing, especially if I'm waiting for a plane, etc, is alluring.

Go Team Venture!

Cobrien
Aug 1, 2006, 10:46 AM
All they need now is Fox and SHOWS IN THE REST OF THE WORLD.

Its not because of the tv networks, do you think that it is only American networks that will put their shows on iTunes, its because Apple are doing nothing for the rest of the world.

poppe
Aug 1, 2006, 10:49 AM
Now Futurama!!... or did they always have it.

I won't pay for my shows, when TiVo keeps them nice and warm for me on my TV.

But it'd still be nice to know its there.

quigleybc
Aug 1, 2006, 11:36 AM
woo hoo

shows that I already pay for to watch!!

Nice !!

baleensavage
Aug 1, 2006, 11:44 AM
Adding Adult Swim means its only a matter of time before anime shows up there. That may be incentive enough for me to start buying episodes desite the poor quality and lousy DRM. I'd love to be able to buy single episodes of anime shows for $1.99 which sure beats the $30 for 4 you get on a DVD.

corywoolf
Aug 1, 2006, 11:57 AM
Ironic, because last week I first read the Aquaman pilot episode as "Aqua Teen Pilot" for some reason. Then I was bummed when I found out it wasn't ATHF, but less then a week later I am presented with this. It's as if Apple is reading my mind. :confused: :eek:

macfan881
Aug 1, 2006, 12:31 PM
nice but Where Is Family guy.....

or does this mean since they have adultswim and fox that family guy on itunes is just around the corner

FaasNat
Aug 1, 2006, 12:51 PM
I do like the Adult Swim shows. I concur with y'all on Venture Bros. Oh, and I do find Robot Chicken to be somewhat hilarious (though some sketches are too over the top).

penter
Aug 1, 2006, 01:03 PM
They need to get The Oblongs on there.
That show is hysterical...TBS airs it Sun. 2:00 am and 4:00 am.:D

i agree. family guy should be there too.

Porchland
Aug 1, 2006, 01:54 PM
Dear Sony,

It's over. You lost. The iPod deftly beat whatever your music player is called this week. Please deliver "Seinfeld" at your earliest convenience. We don't want any of your other shows (http://www.sonypictures.com/tv/), except maybe "Jeopardy." But it would be nice to have you on board in time for the movie store to launch since you have a few (http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/spiderman3/site/) we're kind of excited about.

Thanks,
Everyone

tyler999
Aug 1, 2006, 02:26 PM
Does this mean I am gonna get sued for putting the new Macbook commercial on my Kaneva page? I had to! Its hilarious.

http://www.kaneva.com/asset/8167.storeItem

tyler

I might need a lawyer...

yellow
Aug 1, 2006, 02:35 PM
Venture Brothers. Thumbs up.

nsjoker
Aug 1, 2006, 04:14 PM
i still don't understand why you would buy a show for 2 bucks so that you can watch it at such a low resolution when it's free on tv. unless you're sitting around at home and wondering in which ways you can burn your money faster, this is pointless at the current resolution. :cool:

flame away

wedge antilies
Aug 1, 2006, 06:30 PM
i still don't understand why you would buy a show for 2 bucks so that you can watch it at such a low resolution when it's free on tv. unless you're sitting around at home and wondering in which ways you can burn your money faster, this is pointless at the current resolution. :cool:

flame away

Not flaming, but if I lived in the US, and travelled on flights and into third world countries staying in hotels with no English TV like I do now, I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE THIS!!!!

- red 2.

Lollypop
Aug 2, 2006, 12:28 AM

Im not blaming Apple, I just think that the video content has been a sucess, or they wouldnt have kept on adding more, so why not bring it to the rest of the world, or start negotiating with the Studios/stations in other countries to bring the content out in those countries??

Im just upset because years after the music store has opened I still dont have a local store, at all! Ive said it before and I will say it again, Apple is ignoring the potential of emmerging markets!