PDA

View Full Version : Apple Adds Ford, GM, Mazda To Car iPod Lineup

MacRumors
Aug 3, 2006, 10:24 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple today added Ford, GM, and Mazda to its list of auto manufacturers offering iPod integration (http://www.apple.com/ipod/ipodyourcar/) into some or all of its models.

Quotes from the press-release (http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2006/aug/03ipod.html):
With the addition of these models, more than 70 percent of 2007-model US automobiles will offer iPod integration.

"We’re delighted that Ford, General Motors and Mazda will support iPod connectivity in nearly all of their new models," said Greg Joswiak, Apple's vice president of Worldwide iPod Product Marketing. "Now more than 70 percent of 2007-model US automobiles will offer iPod integration, with General Motors alone making it available on all 56 of its models, representing millions of cars and trucks."

Ford and General Motors will feature iPod integration in the majority of their 2007 models in the US beginning later this year, while Mazda’s entire global 2007 lineup of cars and SUVs will offer iPod connectivity.

miketcool
Aug 3, 2006, 10:26 AM
Excellent! Your mp3 player connected to your car now outlasts your car!:)

http://wired.com/news/autotech/0,2554,61412,00.html

Get moving M$, Jobs is making a fool of you out of the linked comment.

mark!
Aug 3, 2006, 10:28 AM
Wait so does this mean all the Ford partners have it too?

haleyvan
Aug 3, 2006, 10:29 AM
come on, nissan!

p0intblank
Aug 3, 2006, 10:33 AM
Still no Mitsubishi. :(

rubberduck007
Aug 3, 2006, 10:38 AM
Come on Skoda!

rubberduck007
Aug 3, 2006, 10:41 AM
Are these headunits with just AUX-in sockets or proper integration/steering wheel controls?

I wanna see the iPod interface appear in the display of my head unit/Sat Nav screen - can't be that hard surely? I wanna see my downloaded movies from iTunes appear on my screen so i can watch them in my car (while parked of course!)

mcarnes
Now I can get an F150 to go with my iPod.

blitzkrieg79
Still no Mitsubishi. :(

Actually Mitsubishi has dedicated entire car to iPod (of course only available in Japan and limited to iPod nano interface but it's still pretty cool looking).

http://news.com.com/2300-11389_3-6077839-1.html

Actually I don't know what is up with Mitsubishi Motors North America management because Mitsubishi actually has a lot of great cars worldwide except the North American market and Mitsubishi name is much more recognized worldwide because of the Dakar Rally and Pajer and Rally races and Evolution.

JurgenWigg
Aug 3, 2006, 10:43 AM
Wait so does this mean all the Ford partners have it too?

Presumably, including..... fiats?

Jamvan
Aug 3, 2006, 10:44 AM
So far I've been less than impressed with the "integrated" solutions that have been introduced. Trying to control the iPod from the radio or steering wheel is rather clumsy and cumbersome and doesn't come close to navigating on the iPod itself. To me, nothing has come close to beating the tape adapter that I use in both of my cars for ease and simplicity. To each their own.

Here's to hoping, though, that these folks get it right.

JurgenWigg
Aug 3, 2006, 10:47 AM
So far I've been less than impressed with the "integrated" solutions that have been introduced. Trying to control the iPod from the radio or steering wheel is rather clumsy and cumbersome and doesn't come close to navigating on the iPod itself. To me, nothing has come close to beating the tape adapter that I use in both of my cars for ease and simplicity. To each their own.

Here's to hoping, though, that these folks get it right.

I've never used an integrated ipod system in a car before, and some cars just have something like an aux-in wire that you plug into the headphone jack, so basically it's a built in tape adapter. However, I've never had much luck with tape adapters - went through 2, great sound, much better than radio transmitters, but somehow the car tape-deck eats the tape and, well, that's money well spent, right? I'm using a charger/radio transmitter, and it works pretty well, and at least it won't get eaten by my car :(

michaelrjohnson
Aug 3, 2006, 10:51 AM
My one-word reply:

"Whoa."

That's a staggering level of support from an industry that has to be the most sluggish when it comes to technological advancement.

Jamvan
Aug 3, 2006, 10:55 AM
I've never used an integrated ipod system in a car before, and some cars just have something like an aux-in wire that you plug into the headphone jack, so basically it's a built in tape adapter. However, I've never had much luck with tape adapters - went through 2, great sound, much better than radio transmitters, but somehow the car tape-deck eats the tape and, well, that's money well spent, right? I'm using a charger/radio transmitter, and it works pretty well, and at least it won't get eaten by my car :(

That's too bad actually as I've purchased 2 Sony adapters and have never had a single issue with them. One I purchased 2 years ago and the other was in 1989 for use with my old Panasonic portable CD player. It still works great today! Of course, back then it was probably $40 or something but you can easily pick them up today for around $10. Significantly cheaper than a transmitter (or a car!) :)

p0intblank
Aug 3, 2006, 10:57 AM
Actually Mitsubishi has dedicated entire car to iPod (of course only available in Japan and limited to iPod nano interface but it's still pretty cool looking).

http://news.com.com/2300-11389_3-6077839-1.html

Actually I don't know what is up with Mitsubishi Motors North America management because Mitsubishi actually has a lot of great cars worldwide except the North American market and Mitsubishi name is much more recognized worldwide because of the Dakar Rally and Pajer and Rally races and Evolution.

Meh, I don't like how that looks... :(

Seriously, what is Mitsubishi waiting for???

bigmc6000
Aug 3, 2006, 11:04 AM
You think that models that have the same electonics in them can be retro-fit with the new iPod integration?

Point being I've got a 2006 G6 w/ monsoon stereo - I'm hoping if they introduce it for the 2007 model it could fit mine.

Anybody see anything in the releases about this? (I didn't)

LinuxGigolo
Aug 3, 2006, 11:04 AM
Are these headunits with just AUX-in sockets or proper integration/steering wheel controls?

I wanna see the iPod interface appear in the display of my head unit/Sat Nav screen - can't be that hard surely? I wanna see my downloaded movies from iTunes appear on my screen so i can watch them in my car (while parked of course!)

My guess is going to be that it varies based on manufacturer. For instance, Mazda recently added an aux-in and additional charger outlet in the Mazda3 line. This would provide ease of connectivity and power for the iPod but still not full iPod integration. Since those cars are already shipping and Mazda does not seem to be offering any iPod integration kit of any sorts, I'm thinking they're counting that as iPod integration.

Of interest, however, is that the press release specifically mentions providing access to controls, charging, and placing it in the glove compartment. In Mazda's 3 solution, glovebox placement is infeasible.

I guess we'll just have to keep watching the manufacturers for newly available options.......

andiwm2003
Aug 3, 2006, 11:07 AM
how much of the average music listening is done in the car? 50%?

anyway. if you can integrate your ipod in your car but not microsofts zune you will buy an ipod. because you get 50% more use out of it. this is really bad news for microsoft unless they can get similar deals for their player.

Collin973
Aug 3, 2006, 11:11 AM
I hope by "GM" it'll include Saabs too. I have been waiting so long to hook up my ipod in my saab. SOOOOO LOOOOONG!!!

Way to go, car manufacturers, but I don't think this will boost your sales much :)

pianoman
Aug 3, 2006, 11:13 AM
it's only a matter of time before all cars are fitted with the proper equipment and we can see our iPod's interface on the navigation system. innovation takes time.

chabig
Aug 3, 2006, 11:13 AM
this is really bad news for microsoft unless they can get similar deals for their player.
And as I write this, Apple stock is up about 1%!

Mord
Aug 3, 2006, 11:21 AM
vauxhall have started putting ipod docks in their cars (uk version of GM, basically the same as opel.)

xStep
Aug 3, 2006, 11:49 AM
I'm amazed that the car manufacturers are buying into a proprietary interface and protocol. They usually create their own standards and tell the suppliers how it _will_ be.

quagmire
Aug 3, 2006, 12:03 PM
I'm amazed that the car manufacturers are buying into a proprietary interface and protocol. They usually create their own standards and tell the suppliers how it _will_ be.

Well GM had put an AUX jack into there radios so you could plug in any MP3 player you like, but it doesn't charge the MP3 player and doesn't give you the integration the iPod connectivity thing has. I would think GM would still put the AUX jack into there radios so people can still enjoy there player even if it isn't an iPod. Guess it is better late then never though for the Big 2.

PS: It didn't take long for the Big 2 bashing to come in. :rolleyes: A new record I believe. The first post bashed the Big 2.

twoodcc
Aug 3, 2006, 12:31 PM
sounds like nothing but good news to me ;) :cool:

dernhelm
Aug 3, 2006, 12:38 PM

Proprietary? Apple owns the market. Therefore the iPod jack is the de facto standard.

Take that - Microsoft!

That's cool about GM. We almost bought a new 7 passenger van about a month ago. I'd have been bummed if waiting just one more year got me iPod support in whatever vehicle I would have chosen.

:cool:

Fearless Leader
Aug 3, 2006, 12:50 PM
just another step in apple's quest for world dominance...

MacG
Aug 3, 2006, 12:54 PM
Maybe it's time Apple should license the dock interface and control protocols to other MP3 manufacturers. :eek:

Otherwise, if the other MP3/WMA player manufacturers and Zune were smart, they will develop their own common interface (maybe USB and a common control language) and then iPod would be in trouble in the aftermarket market.

it's happened in the past in technology - proprietary interfaces rarely survive longtime. (look at firewire :( )

veedubdrew
Aug 3, 2006, 01:04 PM
And I just bought a new Miata without iPod integration...wait for it...YESTERDAY! Dangit.

-Drew

cheekyspanky
Aug 3, 2006, 01:08 PM
And I just bought a new Miata without iPod integration...wait for it...YESTERDAY! Dangit.

-Drew

I bought one 2 months ago...they do a range of units for the MX5/Miata so there's hope we can just upgrade the stereo at some point in the future!

I've been looking at an adaptor that connects to the CD changer connection on the back of the stereo, looks like it would be take a little while to fix through the glovebox, but it's a pretty good solution otherwise. There's a thread about fitting it at http://www.mx-5.com/forum/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=1004

DakotaGuy
Aug 3, 2006, 01:26 PM
Well GM had put an AUX jack into there radios so you could plug in any MP3 player you like, but it doesn't charge the MP3 player and doesn't give you the integration the iPod connectivity thing has. I would think GM would still put the AUX jack into there radios so people can still enjoy there player even if it isn't an iPod. Guess it is better late then never though for the Big 2.

PS: It didn't take long for the Big 2 bashing to come in. :rolleyes: A new record I believe. The first post bashed the Big 2.

I know why bash them especially when they make a good move like this? It benefits Apple and the automakers. I say good move even if you are upset because it might be an added benefit to companies you hate with so much passion.

Besides I'd take a 2007 Mustang GT 500 Shelby over anything offered from Japan. That car is smoking hot! Sure you don't need 500HP, but wouldn't it be fun!

boncellis
Aug 3, 2006, 01:29 PM
I still think aftermarket iPod solutions are just as good if not better than the "integrated" connectivity offered by the manufacturer. It's cool, but I doubt it will make much of an impact on sales either way.

There's something ironic about a kid who pulls his $400 iPod out of his pocket to plug into the stereo of his Ford Focus...at least to me, anyway.

SiliconAddict
Aug 3, 2006, 01:56 PM
I want the Prius to be in that line-up. :(

KingYaba
Aug 3, 2006, 02:12 PM
You know what I did to get my vehicle iPod ready? I bought a cassette tape with an audio jack on the other end. :)

x704
Aug 3, 2006, 02:27 PM
My one-word reply:

"Whoa."

That's a staggering level of support from an industry that has to be the most sluggish when it comes to technological advancement.

They only started including support for the iPod (now and not later) because of the length of time it takes for collage students to graduate and get into the design part of engineering.

quagmire
Aug 3, 2006, 02:41 PM
Besides I'd take a 2007 Mustang GT 500 Shelby over anything offered from Japan. That car is smoking hot! Sure you don't need 500HP, but wouldn't it be fun!

Rather get the C6 Corvette. haha Even with 400 HP, it still beats the GT 500 Shelby. That is due to the fat the Mustang has gained. The 'vette is lean and 99% lean in Z06 form. :p

bearda
Aug 3, 2006, 03:48 PM
I bought one 2 months ago...they do a range of units for the MX5/Miata so there's hope we can just upgrade the stereo at some point in the future!

I've been looking at an adaptor that connects to the CD changer connection on the back of the stereo, looks like it would be take a little while to fix through the glovebox, but it's a pretty good solution otherwise. There's a thread about fitting it at http://www.mx-5.com/forum/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=1004

I use the AudioLink on my Mazda3, and I've been pretty pleased with it. There's an iPod Integration Kit from Mazda for previous models that's scheduled for release "Late 2006" for the 3; hopefully they're doing something similar across the board.

Andrew Beard

illumin8
Aug 3, 2006, 04:55 PM
I just paid about $425 including labor to get the VW Ipod kit installed in my 2006 Jetta and it was a total waste of money! I was the first one at this dealership to get it installed, so I couldn't see it working in a floor model, or even try it before I bought it...

Get this:

Only supports 5 playlists, numbered 1-5
Doesn't even show you the song name on the display, just "TRACK 01"
You can skip tracks using the head unit or the steering wheel controls, but you have no idea what you're switching to because it doesn't show the track name...
If a playlist is more than 99 tracks, track 100 will look like "TRACK 00" and track 101 will look like "TRACK 01".
It does charge the iPod
It does pause the Ipod when you turn off the radio

All in all a total waste of money. The iPod is locked in the glovebox, so I can't even see what song is playing. I would be ok with only 5 playlists if I could load them up with lots of albums each and skip from album to album by skipping 10 tracks at a time. I tried to create playlists called names like "1 - Rock", "2 - Jazz", "3 - Electronic", etc. which seemed like a good idea, then put all of my favorite albums in them, but if I want to listen to the 10th album in my Jazz playlist, how the hell am I supposed to find it? Do they seriously expect me to track through ~100 songs until I get to the album I want? :mad:

My advice to you if you own a VW: just get an aux in jack installed and a mounting kit so you can read the display. You can get a clicker that goes on your steering wheel also. I would have saved $425 and the 4 hours of my time it took the service department to install it.

If Apple wants people to be responsible and buy iPod kits for their cars, they need to demand a certain level of functionality. Displaying the track name on the dash unit should be considered mandatory, not optional.

longpath
Aug 3, 2006, 07:42 PM
Wasn't there an Apple press least in 2005 that Nissan, Mazda, and Daihatsu were going to have iPod interfaces in their cars starting with the 2006 model year? Was that just supposed to be the JDM market? It kills me that Mazda hasn't offered an iPod solution for the RX-8 since it came out, even if it was only in the upscale Bose head unit. I even contacted Bose when I was getting nowhere with Mazda about it and their response was, in my opinion, a written shrug of their corporate shoulders.

Lollypop
Aug 4, 2006, 12:33 AM
I just paid about $425 including labor to get the VW Ipod kit installed in my 2006 Jetta and it was a total waste of money! I was the first one at this dealership to get it installed, so I couldn't see it working in a floor model, or even try it before I bought it...

Get this:

You can skip tracks using the head unit or the steering wheel controls, but you have no idea what you're switching to because it doesn't show the track name...
If a playlist is more than 99 tracks, track 100 will look like "TRACK 00" and track 101 will look like "TRACK 01".
It does charge the iPod

All in all a total waste of money. The iPod is locked in the glovebox, so I can't even see what song is playing. I would be ok with only 5 playlists if I could load them up with lots of albums each and skip from album to album by skipping 10 tracks at a time. I tried to create playlists called names like "1 - Rock", "2 - Jazz", "3 - Electronic", etc. which seemed like a good idea, then put all of my favorite albums in them, but if I want to listen to the 10th album in my Jazz playlist, how the hell am I supposed to find it? Do they seriously expect me to track through ~100 songs until I get to the album I want? :mad:

My advice to you if you own a VW: just get an aux in jack installed and a mounting kit so you can read the display. You can get a clicker that goes on your steering wheel also. I would have saved $425 and the 4 hours of my time it took the service department to install it.

If Apple wants people to be responsible and buy iPod kits for their cars, they need to demand a certain level of functionality. Displaying the track name on the dash unit should be considered mandatory, not optional.

I wanted to get a aftermarket kit for my Pioneer radio, read up a bit and turns out its very much the same thing as what you had, bloody expensive, and it doesnt to much, sure it can extract Id3 tags from a Mp3 CD, but not from a ipod attatched to a $200 connector? WTF?? I really think there needs to be a level of integration indicator on the apple website, I personally dont like the "we have AUx input so now we support a ipod" thing!!!

Leondunkleyc
Aug 4, 2006, 09:53 AM

CANEHDN
Aug 4, 2006, 10:27 AM
That's awesome. I'm going to be buying a 2008 CX-7 next summer. Sweet.

scottybe
Aug 4, 2006, 02:02 PM
There's an iPod Integration Kit from Mazda for previous models that's scheduled for release "Late 2006"

Andrew Beard

Where did you see this? I saw the Mazda press release that only said it would be a $200 option in new models. As the owner of 2004 Mazda 6, I need to know!

Roy Hobbs
Aug 4, 2006, 02:11 PM

Get this:

It does charge the iPod

It sounds like you should have researched this product before spending the $$. It is not a matter of VW not wanting to display the title information it is a limitation of the stereo itself. Ask question sor research the product (plenty of info on these adapters on the web) and you will discover these issues before "wasting" your time and money.

Many car iPod interfaces work this way

cplusON3R
Aug 4, 2006, 02:25 PM
It sounds like you should have researched this product before spending the $$. It is not a matter of VW not wanting to display the title information it is a limitation of the stereo itself. Ask question sor research the product (plenty of info on these adapters on the web) and you will discover these issues before "wasting" your time and money.

Many car iPod interfaces work this way

indeed.. even bimmers have the same type of interface.. track1, track2, etc, etc.. lame:rolleyes:

BigHat
Aug 4, 2006, 02:28 PM

Get this:

It does charge the iPod

This is far from a waste of money in my view. I had an early Denison kit that did LESS than this and it was very workable. I had one playlist -- the one I had to manually select. Worked fine. I could play a specific playlist or just play random songs of a specific genre.

Right now I have zip and BMW and others try to make an interface for the optical BUS that operates the car. I'd love to have what you complain about until that comes out.

bearda
Aug 4, 2006, 05:47 PM

Get this:

It does charge the iPod

It sounds like the link is just emulating an external CD changer. That's the same thing the aftermarket iPod link for my Mazda3 does (although mine was a whole lot cheaper...). Unfortunatly the following article makes it pretty clear that the Mazda link is going to have similar capabilities:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/08/03/apple-announces-partnership-with-ford-gm-mazda/

Operation must be done through the audio system, not using the iPod. Track information, such as the artist or album name is not displayed on the audio system.

I'm not impressed. If it displayed track information I'd be all over it, but as it stands I'll stick with aftermarket. From what I understand it's possible to display track info via the factory sat radio interface (although I don't have a sat interface on my Mazda3, so take it with a grain of salt) on most if not all new Mazdas, so it just seems like a shame.

Andrew Beard

j238
Aug 5, 2006, 10:15 AM
There are already good options for playing an iPod in your car.

I've got a small cheap transmitter which allows me to play my iPod in any car with an FM radio. (On a home component system, the output quality is amazing, at least to my ears.)

Now the car companies are offering an option which will perform the same function at a higher price.

Are iPod enthusiasts so stupid they will pay for the 'iPod integration' option in their new car? Are investors so stupid they will bid up the price of Apple stock every time there is a press release with the word iPod in it?

My guess is 'mostly no' on the first question. 'possibly yes' on the on the second question.

I own Apple shares. So please ignore this post. What I really mean to say is that iPod integrated cars are the greatest society-altering innovation since the Segway.

bearda
Aug 5, 2006, 11:33 AM
Are iPod enthusiasts so stupid they will pay for the 'iPod integration' option in their new car?

Yes, I would have paid for an iPod integration system in my car if it had displayed info on the stock stereo. I haven't found an FM transmitter yet that could keep a signal in DC, and I really don't want to have to grab my iPod whenever I want to skip a track while driving on the beltway. I ended up buying an aftermarket link a week after I got the car so I didn't have to worry about trying to find a blank spot on the dial (and constantly fiddling with it on longer trips) and the controls on my steering wheel map directly to the iPod.

If the same thing was available from the dealer for a reasonable price I would have gotten it. If the link also displayed track info from the iPod I would have easily paid twice as much.

I guess that makes me a stupid iPod enthusiast.

Andrew Beard

EdDean67
Aug 10, 2006, 11:28 PM
Most of the 2006 line of aftermarket alpine car stereos has what is called Full Speed Connection for Ipod. With a head unit for as little as $200.00 MSRP and a $30.00 connection cable you have full control of your Ipod from the stereo as well as data display. It also has a quick search function. I have the Alpine DVA-9861 with my Ipod mini. It works great! Keep in mind this is second generation Ipod control for Alpine. From what I have read the first generation was very slow. This is neary as good as having your finger on the Ipod.

http://www.alpine-usa.com/en/products/product.php?model=KCE-422i

Lollypop
Aug 11, 2006, 12:45 AM
Most of the 2006 line of aftermarket alpine car stereos has what is called Full Speed Connection for Ipod. With a head unit for as little as $200.00 MSRP and a $30.00 connection cable you have full control of your Ipod from the stereo as well as data display. It also has a quick search function. I have the Alpine DVA-9861 with my Ipod mini. It works great! Keep in mind this is second generation Ipod control for Alpine. From what I have read the first generation was very slow. This is neary as good as having your finger on the Ipod.

http://www.alpine-usa.com/en/products/product.php?model=KCE-422i

I had a look at the alpines when I wanted to connect my ipod to my car, while its a decent setup I find it weak that someone has to go buy a expensive piece of hardware to use their ipod, I did all the reasearch and my conclusion, these car integration kits in general have some sort of flaw, are expenive and dont really do their job... Im still saying apple should have some sort of rating systems for these kits, level 1 - you have to control the input via your ipod..... level 30, you can completely control you ipod from your sterio and see everything on the radio screen.