Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2001
So I've erased all data (write to zeros) and rebuilt my system from the ground up. My iMac still has Kernel Panics 3 - 4 - 5 times a day... Ugh!

I even re-initalized my drive and now when I try to install the upgrade from the 10.1 CD, the thing panics.

What's going on? Can Kernel Panics ever be hardware related?

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
Kernal Panics can be hardware related.

I would think in this case it would be. I have had 1 kernal panic on my powermac when I touched the motherboard by accident when it was turned on.

I would take it back to an applestore and ask them to take a quick look at it!

Ensign

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: Panic Attacks! Does my Kernel needs some Valum?

Originally posted by tfaz1
So I've erased all data (write to zeros) and rebuilt my system from the ground up. My iMac still has Kernel Panics 3 - 4 - 5 times a day... Ugh!

I even re-initalized my drive and now when I try to install the upgrade from the 10.1 CD, the thing panics.

What's going on? Can Kernel Panics ever be hardware related?

Take out all 3rd party ram. Try again.

This fixed my kernal panic issue.

arn

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2001
3rd Party Ram

Yep... I think it might be the RAM too. But here's the problem. I've got a 512DIMM from RAMJet in there, but the factory RAM has been removed.

Restart issues drove me to the Palo Alto Apple Store about a month ago. They determined the issue to be related to the factory RAM. It was bad so I threw it away (admittedly, not the best choice).

SO - I guess my question is this: Should I ask RAMJet for to exchange my DIMM for a new one? ...or take it to Palo Alto where they might (or might not) have an extra one laying around for troubleshooting?

Anyone else encountered Kernel Panics due to faulty RAM?

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
I have had problems because of 3rd party RAM. I would try to get the company to replace it, unfortunatly that wasn't an option for me since my computer was used. Before trashing the RAM try and get them to test it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.