PDA

View Full Version : 17 inch Powerbooks shipped!

Pages : [1] 2 3

iJon
Mar 14, 2003, 06:17 PM
Dealers will soon be receiving a demo unit of the 17 inch powerbook by monday. the wait is over.

iJon

Kwyjibo
Mar 14, 2003, 06:21 PM
very cool, time to plan that robbery of the apple store or local apple reseller.

rideahyperLite
Mar 14, 2003, 07:25 PM
word.. so how do u know this

Flowbee
Mar 14, 2003, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by rideahyperLite

http://www.macnn.com/news/18790

Bear
Mar 14, 2003, 07:49 PM
iJon probably knows this, because his parents got a shipping notification for their store.

nanosound
Mar 14, 2003, 10:32 PM
Yeah, I just saw the MacNN and came here. Hooray, I can't believe it, but this is good news.

FlamDrag
Mar 14, 2003, 10:58 PM
Great, now they can sell more of them that they don't have.

My order date hasn't changed. Still skeptical of them getting to consumers anytime soon.

b-smooth
Mar 14, 2003, 11:03 PM
I spent a day at the orlando millennia apple store on thursday and the saleslady I flirted with said that they were shipping back the non-functioning unit and receiving a real-working model of the 17inch pb on monday or tuesday. The only reason she told me I think was because she wanted me; she kind of whispered it to me passionately. I mean not that it's a big secret but you wouldn't just tell anyone that. ;) Right???

iJon
Mar 15, 2003, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by b-smooth
I spent a day at the orlando millennia apple store on thursday and the saleslady I flirted with said that they were shipping back the non-functioning unit and receiving a real-working model of the 17inch pb on monday or tuesday. The only reason she told me I think was because she wanted me; she kind of whispered it to me passionately. I mean not that it's a big secret but you wouldn't just tell anyone that. ;) Right???
date her, stock up on stuff with your discount and dump her. unless she is hot.

iJon

rt_brained
Mar 15, 2003, 04:17 AM
I spent a day at the orlando millennia apple store on thursday and the saleslady I flirted with said that they were shipping back the non-functioning unit and receiving a real-working model of the 17inch pb on monday or tuesday. The only reason she told me I think was because she wanted me; she kind of whispered it to me passionately.

I mean not that it's a big secret but you wouldn't just tell anyone that. Right???
Dear B -

Perhaps it's not a 'big secret' but remember it's your secret and you don't have to tell anyone about it until you're good and ready. My uncle Benny had a 'big secret' too.

Some women are just naturally drawn to the kind of men who can spend a whole day in a retail store. But even though she's a woman, it doesn't mean she doesn't have feelings too.

Tell her your 'big secret' when it's appropriate, but do it before she gets too involved with you and gets her poor heart broken.

- Abby

scem0
Mar 15, 2003, 04:42 AM
Originally posted by iJon
date her, stock up on stuff with your discount and dump her. unless she is hot.

iJon

great advice. If she gets higher up on the apple command line,
dont dump her. ;). Or if she's hot....

FlashBIOS
Mar 15, 2003, 07:03 AM
My PowerBook 17" has shipped too! It should be here Monday or Tuesday at the latest! I ordered the computer 1/8 from the Apple Education store. Its a stock configuration.

:D :D

WinterMute
Mar 15, 2003, 08:40 AM
Our contact at macWarehouse says they have 500 arriving "next week", thinks this is the main shipment for the UK, I'm no.8 on the list:D

BRING IT ON:p

PHARAOHk
Mar 15, 2003, 08:41 AM
I believe it but I don't believe it! What about reserved store units. I prepayed at the store and am on the short list. What do you think? Can't wait!

(((k)))

FlamDrag
Mar 15, 2003, 09:26 AM
MY POWERBOOK SHIPPED!!!!! :D :D :D :D

E-MAIL SENT FROM APPLE AT 4:55 THIS MORNING!!!! :D :D :D :D

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAA!

I ordered (as I'm sure you all know by now) minutes after the announcement w/stock config and ADC purchase plan.

YEEEESSSSS. Happy day!!!

LosJackal
Mar 15, 2003, 09:44 AM
Yep, FlamDrag, mine has shipped too!!!!

Though not with ADC discount. Oh well.

grimmace
Mar 15, 2003, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by scem0
great advice. If she gets higher up on the apple command line,
dont dump her. ;). Or if she's hot....

Got to love them apple girls. The apple store near me is better than hooters! :D I have one that I may ask out as well. She didnt whisper passionately in my ear, however. 15% off...and lets not forget Christmas and my birthday.:D

Y am I sitting here typing when I can be there asking?

FlamDrag
Mar 15, 2003, 10:17 AM
Just a comment - it's awfully cruel of them to ship on a saturday when the FedEx tracking information won't be up until Monday.

I'm so excited I can barely stand it. Think Cocker Spaniel when their owner gets home...

Wren
Mar 15, 2003, 10:25 AM
I just checked the status of my order, and it was changed from on or before 26 March to 'OPEN"!! Sounds promising, i guess.

Heart Break Kid
Mar 15, 2003, 10:27 AM
pleeeease post a picture
pleease

mine still hasn't shipped..but at this rate I hope to see it before the end of the month

ahhhhhhhh

just waiting for the day I can pull it out at starbucks and watch them peeceee ppl drool....MUAHAHHAHAHAHHAHHAHA

im so evil >:D

nanosound
Mar 15, 2003, 11:05 AM
Amazon used to say releasing on the 15th. Today it says shipping within 2-3 days!! They must have a bunch of them. So perhaps early orders will be shipped next week? I hope.

synthetickittie
Mar 15, 2003, 11:33 AM
Im definitly happy for everyone who is soon to get their powerbooks... Im betting pacients will definitly pay off for all of you because these things should be SWEET! Now that these things are shipping anyone for BTO 1.42 powermacs? been about 6 weeks since I ordered and about to go insaine here waiting for it to be shipped. But again I hope everyone of you just LOVE your toys when they get to you.

iJon
Mar 15, 2003, 11:47 AM
everyone post your picture requests. i can take a picture of the 17 next to any mac besides the 14 inch ibook. just let me know. i will take them monday in the morning.

iJon

Heart Break Kid
Mar 15, 2003, 12:03 PM
please

please take the following pics

1. in the box before its open
2. pics of the box - front, back, sides etc.
3. pic of the powerbook inside the box
4. pics of whatever it comes with
5. pic of it booting up
6. pic of it running osx
7. complete pics of its size relative the imacs relative to an average human hand - just kinda hard to get an idea of the size

8. pics of all the ports
9. pics of it on a desk/ beside a peecee

AND FINALLY

10. pic of that fed-ex guy who delivered it (i dunno..just gotta make sure he felt special)
11. pic of a peecee user when you show it to them

god i hope this holds me till i get mine
still says on or before 4/25
argh!! and i ordered mine feb 10th

please please please remember
the more pics the better
some of us are going stir crazy waiting for ours

bousozoku
Mar 15, 2003, 12:05 PM

I'm going over to the store right now to show her your post and see what she says. :D

filipp
Mar 15, 2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Heart Break Kid
the more pics the better

Exactly, I've already gone CRAIZEE
LAKSJFHSADFASÖKJD

sorry, cannot control my hands LKSAFHJAÖLKSAHDLAJ

/ filipp aslkdfjasdlkfjasdflj

:D

iJon
Mar 15, 2003, 12:26 PM
please

please take the following pics

1. in the box before its open
2. pics of the box - front, back, sides etc.
3. pic of the powerbook inside the box
4. pics of whatever it comes with
5. pic of it booting up
6. pic of it running osx
7. complete pics of its size relative the imacs relative to an average human hand - just kinda hard to get an idea of the size

8. pics of all the ports
9. pics of it on a desk/ beside a peecee

AND FINALLY

10. pic of that fed-ex guy who delivered it (i dunno..just gotta make sure he felt special)
11. pic of a peecee user when you show it to them

god i hope this holds me till i get mine
still says on or before 4/25
argh!! and i ordered mine feb 10th

the more pics the better
fed ex guy will be a no go. probably wont take a picture of it next to a pc because thats pointless. lol. but i can take as many pics as you want, ill post them on my .mac page soon.

iJon

iJon
Mar 15, 2003, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by bousozoku
I'm going over to the store right now to show her your post and see what she says. :D
HAHAHA

iJon

Maclicious
Mar 15, 2003, 02:15 PM
I just got an email--my 17 inch AluBook has SHIPPED!!!!!!! WAHOOOOO!!

Heart Break Kid
Mar 15, 2003, 03:28 PM
heh

finally..the light at the end of the tunnel...that sweet sweet aluminum light

*droool*

its gonna be my first mac! finally...non windows....im getting the hell out
yaay

damnit
im just as excited to see other ppl get thiers as i am to get mine

lets all sing the happy song now.

HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY HAPPY JOY HAPPY JOY HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY

Jeffx342
Mar 15, 2003, 03:54 PM
3/21 on or before

which is Friday!

HelloNateR
Mar 15, 2003, 08:02 PM
For those of you who'd like to try Amazon on their 2-3 day ship time, here's a direct link to the 17" PowerBook page:

Apple 17" PowerBook (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000087BHX/nathanproduct-20)

My Apple Store order placed one week ago is showing "On or before 4/14", so I went ahead and placed an Amazon order. If they don't ship by the end of next week, then I know somthing's not right, and then I'll just wait for my order from the Apple Store... :)

Grimace
Mar 15, 2003, 11:37 PM
http://ebay0.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_cd7690ecd2d60b542e3c9158d619bac5/i-4_B.JPG

http://ebay0.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_cd7690ecd2d60b542e3c9158d619bac5/i-2_B.JPG

http://ebay0.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_cd7690ecd2d60b542e3c9158d619bac5/i-3_B.JPG

http://ebay0.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_cd7690ecd2d60b542e3c9158d619bac5/i-5_B.JPG

Chuck
Mar 16, 2003, 12:03 AM
Are these pics are from MWSF, or have you got your machine?

How cool - not long now. :)

Chuck.

nanosound
Mar 16, 2003, 01:07 AM
Yes, definitely from the show floor.

HelloNateR
Mar 16, 2003, 01:12 AM
I hope the lid closes better (i.e., more tightly in the corners) than the one in those photos! :(

iJon
Mar 16, 2003, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by HelloNateR
I hope the lid closes better (i.e., more tightly in the corners) than the one in those photos! :(
nope thats as far as they go. i dont even think the edges really touch each other when they close, jus the middle touchers. its good though becaus they put better rubber grips on these so the screen wont touch the keyboard.

iJon

rideahyperLite
Mar 16, 2003, 09:47 AM
the one i saw didnt have rubber nubs on the corners and the corners looked like they closed a lot more than that one in the picture.. there are some nice pictures of people using them here. (http://yoursphotographer.com/12&17inchFirstLook/12&17inchFirstLook.html) if u look closely there aren't any rubber nubs.

iJon
Mar 16, 2003, 11:07 AM
the one i saw didnt have rubber nubs on the corners and the corners looked like they closed a lot more than that one in the picture.. there are some nice pictures of people using them here. (http://yoursphotographer.com/12&17inchFirstLook/12&17inchFirstLook.html) if u look closely there aren't any rubber nubs.
well of course you cant see them, they are too small to see from the distance they took those pictures at.

iJon

filipp
Mar 16, 2003, 11:19 AM
If I remember correctly, übergeek told that there were no rubber nubs on the 17", only on the 12"

/ filipp

iJon
Mar 16, 2003, 11:28 AM
well giving it a second look they may not have one. but all these picutes are pre production models. hopefully they did add them on the ones that are shipping. if they dont i hope they did something that makes them no touch the keyboard.

iJon

Heart Break Kid
Mar 16, 2003, 01:40 PM
my question is this:

i put an order for my 17" + 1gb ram with the apple store a while back. i charged the order to my credit card. from what i understand they dont charge the card until the computer is shipped. is this right? because i didnt see the charge appear on my bill...until last night when the credit card company called and asked if i bought an apple computer online. does this mean im getting my Alubook soon? oh pleease say yes
lol

iJon
Mar 16, 2003, 01:47 PM
my question is this:

i put an order for my 17" + 1gb ram with the apple store a while back. i charged the order to my credit card. from what i understand they dont charge the card until the computer is shipped. is this right? because i didnt see the charge appear on my bill...until last night when the credit card company called and asked if i bought an apple computer online. does this mean im getting my Alubook soon? oh pleease say yes
lol
thats exactly what it sounds like

iJon

Heart Break Kid
Mar 16, 2003, 01:59 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

IM SOOO HAPPY!!!!!

ok ppl...heres my celebration plan!

1. do a little dance
2. make a little love
3. get down tonight

Happy happy joy joy happy happy joy joy happy joy happy joy happy happy joy joy!
yaaay!

im in such a good mood i dont think i mind going shoe shopping with my gf anymore!!
yahoooooooooooo

Chuck
Mar 16, 2003, 03:48 PM
im in such a good mood i dont think i mind going shoe shopping with my gf anymore!!

That must be a seriously good mood! ;)

Chuck.

Heart Break Kid
Mar 16, 2003, 03:59 PM
yah

the shoe shopping thing didnt go over well today
how IN THE HELL is it POSSIBLE for her to hit EVERY FREAKING STORE in the mall? she went to stores i didnt even know existed!...and why are there like 2 versions of every shoe store?? stupid girls with thier stupid shopping. thank god it only took a few hours. she wanted to make it an all day outing. argh!

but still doesnt put me in a bad mood..cuz im getting my PB. my first mac in 12 years. YAH YAH YAH YAH!. first thing i do . give the fed ex guy some luv for makin my day when it gets here. second. find steve jobs and give him some luv for makin this thing. you can tell theres a lot of the gay luv being spread around when this baby comes. its all good though...lol...

3rd..after the software is loaded...im gonna pack it up and take it to best buy...bust it out at the computers section and be like...excuse me...do you have a laptop thats betterr then this? no? I THOUGHT SOOOO .!!! BOOYAH, followed by a series of crotch chops.

then off to starbucks...to sit by the window...pretending to be doing somethin really important...when actually i just plan on sippin coffeee and playing medal of honor AA.

then come may. when i go back home to toronto...i plan on bustin it out on the plane and i dunno..watch a movie..play some game...make the guy beside me super jelous

whose yo daddy? thats right baby..the Alubook is...whoo? yah thats right..the ALU BOOK

god im gonna enjoy rubbing it into the face of every dell toting xp supporting punk out there!

whats that mr. windows? windows is soo great? really? oh yours only crashed 12 times in the last 3 days? aww shucks...that is good...damn it...i just hate my computer in its perfection. doesnt it suck when we cant complain? ahh well..ur win-tel machine sucks soo bad we both gotta complain to cover its crappiness in all its glorious suck-titude

yes..long post
but all these pent up emotions have surfaced

wierd what a 4 hour shoe shopping spree with your chick does to ya eh?

oh !! almost forgot...must make mental note to show it off to annoying family members, evil-mail man and dog across the streeet that wont shut the bloody hell up.

iJon
Mar 16, 2003, 04:02 PM
yah

how IN THE HELL is it POSSIBLE for her to hit EVERY FREAKING STORE in the mall? she went to stores i didnt even know existed!...and why are there like 2 versions of every shoe store?? stupid girls with thier stupid shopping. thank god it only took a few hours. she wanted to make it an all day outing. argh!

but still doesnt put me in a bad mood..cuz im getting my PB. my first mac in 12 years. YAH YAH YAH YAH!. first thing i do . give the fed ex guy some luv for makin my day when it gets here. second. find steve jobs and give him some luv for makin this thing. you can tell theres a lot of the gay luv being spread around when this baby comes. its all good though...lol...

3rd..after the software is loaded...im gonna pack it up and take it to best buy...bust it out at the computers section and be like...excuse me...do you have a laptop thats betterr then this? no? I THOUGHT SOOOO .!!! BOOYAH, followed by a series of crotch chops.

then off to starbucks...to sit by the window...pretending to be doing somethin really important...when actually i just plan on sippin coffeee and playing medal of honor AA.

then come may. when i go back home to toronto...i plan on bustin it out on the plane and i dunno..watch a movie..play some game...make the guy beside me super jelous

whose yo daddy? thats right baby..the Alubook is...whoo? yah thats right..the ALU BOOK

god im gonna enjoy rubbing it into the face of every dell toting xp supporting punk out there!

whats that mr. windows? windows is soo great? really? oh yours only crashed 12 times in the last 3 days? aww shucks...that is good...damn it...i just hate my computer in its perfection. doesnt it suck when we cant complain? ahh well..ur win-tel machine sucks soo bad we both gotta complain to cover its crappiness in all its glorious suck-titude

yes..long post
but all these pent up emotions have surfaced

wierd what a 4 hour shoe shopping spree with your chick does to ya eh?

oh !! almost forgot...must make mental note to show it off to annoying family members, evil-mail man and dog across the streeet that wont shut the bloody hell up.
DO NOT drink coffee near it. your luck just may end that day. here is something you should do on the plane. just be doing your thing and go like this " well how about that, the damn keyboard lights up, that is cool." make it sound like your surprised.

iJon

vniow
Mar 16, 2003, 04:06 PM

I don't know if you know this (it's a woman thing) but when we go shopping, we have the ability to be in many places at once, maximizing the time spent shopping.

This ability has evolved over time and it's completely invisible to the eyes of a male, only a few know about this ability.

Just think about it, if we didn't have this ability we'd practically live in shopping malls!http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=251718

Heart Break Kid
Mar 16, 2003, 04:23 PM
haahaha ijohn

i can see it now.
sitting beside the pro-wintel person
lights go out

HBK - "HOT DANG woudja look at that!...them damned keyboard be lighting up. gawsh...those folk at apple sure made one mighty fine machine. hey mr. does your laptop light up too?

Mr. WINTEL - "uhh..no...no it doesnt"

HBK -"..aww..jeez...no?...is ur lighting up keyboard broken?"

Mr. Wintel - "well jeez..uhh...hmm..well i dun think it ever lit up"

HBK - "...ohhh urs never lit up in the first place? were you smoking crack when u decided to buy that instead of the PB? "

Mr.Wintel - :mad:

hahaha
thanks for the coffee advice...i actually dont really plan on drinking eating smoking breathing laughing talking farting near it. im just gonna look and admire it....sorta like a classic car. just take it for a spin once in a while
lol

iJon
Mar 16, 2003, 04:26 PM
haahaha ijohn

i can see it now.
sitting beside the pro-wintel person
lights go out

HBK - "HOT DANG woudja look at that!...them damned keyboard be lighting up. gawsh...those folk at apple sure made one mighty fine machine. hey mr. does your laptop light up too?

Mr. WINTEL - "uhh..no...no it doesnt"

HBK -"..aww..jeez...no?...is ur lighting up keyboard broken?"

Mr. Wintel - "well jeez..uhh...hmm..well i dun think it ever lit up"

HBK - "...ohhh urs never lit up in the first place? were you smoking crack when u decided to buy that instead of the PB? "

Mr.Wintel - :mad:

hahaha
thanks for the coffee advice...i actually dont really plan on drinking eating smoking breathing laughing talking farting near it. im just gonna look and admire it....sorta like a classic car. just take it for a spin once in a while
lol
here is another thing to do to show off your machine. go download the progam xback from versiontracker.com. then go buy the marine aquarium screen saver. set xback to make your desktop pattern the marnine desktop. talk about turning heads. wait till you start click on folders with fish swimming in the background. you so gotta do it.

iJon

Heart Break Kid
Mar 16, 2003, 04:28 PM
wait wait wiat

whats the xback thingy do?

is it that thing that sets the screensaver as a background?
lol

are their other non-fish ones?
i mean like other really hype themes?

how much is the aquarium theme?

god this is gonna be such a boost from my 433MHz Dell

Heart Break Kid
Mar 16, 2003, 04:32 PM
is this xback thing better then backlight?
cuz backlight is freeware
no 12 buck charge

anything to piss my pro-wintel bro more
lol
he's gonna wet his pants when he sees this

iJon
Mar 16, 2003, 04:36 PM
wait wait wiat

whats the xback thingy do?

is it that thing that sets the screensaver as a background?
lol

are their other non-fish ones?
i mean like other really hype themes?

how much is the aquarium theme?

god this is gonna be such a boost from my 433MHz Dell
xback will make any screen saver in your computer a desktop pattern. using quartz extreme, its sends all processing power to the graphics card, which will not slow down your computer (you will notice a little lag) with your speed of your new computer and your graphics card it will run GREAT. marine desktop is 22 dollars, so worth it. ill send you the web page so you can see it. the fish are so realistic, this guy did such a great job on it.

http://www.serenescreen.com/product/maquariumx/index.php

iJon

iJon
Mar 16, 2003, 04:37 PM
is this xback thing better then backlight?
cuz backlight is freeware
no 12 buck charge

anything to piss my pro-wintel bro more
lol
he's gonna wet his pants when he sees this
i think xback is a if you like my software send me 12 bucks. ive been using it on and off and i never get any errors saying to pay or something.

iJon

Heart Break Kid
Mar 16, 2003, 04:37 PM

yes. yes i think i will try that setup
lol

god this is gonna be great
i cant wait to see the looks on ppl when they see it

get a whole aqua theme goin

Maclicious
Mar 16, 2003, 04:44 PM
here is another thing to do to show off your machine. go download the progam xback from versiontracker.com. then go buy the marine aquarium screen saver. set xback to make your desktop pattern the marnine desktop. talk about turning heads. wait till you start click on folders with fish swimming in the background. you so gotta do it.

iJon

Or, select a screen saver as normal. Then, open Terminal and type

nice +20 /system/library/frameworks/screensaver.framework/resources/screensaverengine.app/contents/macos/screensaverengine -background &

Keep track of the ID number of the process (it'll tell you the number when you hit return).

When you want to get rid of the screen saver background, open Terminal and type

kill XX

where XX is the process number noted above.

Heart Break Kid
Mar 16, 2003, 04:48 PM
this is pretty hype
i love the fact that the computer is soo damn customizable
and NO .DLL's

heh

brb..wet my pants in anticipation

Bateman
Mar 16, 2003, 04:48 PM
You can actually pull off the xBack effect from the terminal. It is here (http://www.resexcellence.com/hack_html_02/08-27-02.shtml). I use this and it doesn't cost 12 bucks. I don't think you can change screensavers without killing the action and starting it again.

[Edit: couldn't type fast enough]

iJon
Mar 16, 2003, 04:53 PM
true true, but i have been using xback for a while now, works good, switch screen savers on the fly and they havent asked me for 12 bucks yet, i didnt even know if costs money. but it doesnt matter how you do it, just do it.

iJon

Heart Break Kid
Mar 16, 2003, 05:03 PM
the second i get it
gonna add the eye candy

maybe throw in a konfab or somethin
im not using it for anythin more then word + powerpoint

lol
so i definatly have some cpu cycles to spare

iJon
Mar 16, 2003, 05:10 PM
the second i get it
gonna add the eye candy

maybe throw in a konfab or somethin
im not using it for anythin more then word + powerpoint

lol
so i definatly have some cpu cycles to spare
also when minimizing items to the dock, hold down shift. a nice presentation for the windows person watching. holding shift down slows the process down, its really awesome looking. then if you want to look like you know how to hack and your really smart (not saying you arent) type in the login field at startup ">console". this will take to the command line of mac os x. then type in "top" or something to make you look like your doing something important. just remember you will look like a fool if you do that next to a unix guru.

iJon

Heart Break Kid
Mar 16, 2003, 05:19 PM
hahahahhahaa

cmon
some1 here must have a story bout how they punked off a cocky wintel user

anything lol
i gotta hear one

something like that plane scenerio me and ijohn came up with

anyone ever show a wintel user thier mac and have them freak over it?

iJon
Mar 16, 2003, 05:38 PM
ijohn
please, ijon. it drives me crazy.

iJon

Heart Break Kid
Mar 16, 2003, 06:34 PM
no problem

my bad

ijon it is!

Chuck
Mar 16, 2003, 07:03 PM
I keep wondering why no one has posted a message saying they've got their machine, but then I just realised... It's Monday here in Australia but still Sunday in the US. Puzzle solved.

I'll check the forum first thing tomorrow morning before taking Chloé for her morning stroll...

How exciting. It's like waiting for labour to come on!!!

Chuck.

iJon
Mar 16, 2003, 07:06 PM
left taiwan this afternoon. hopefully it will be here tomorrow.

DHagan4755
Mar 16, 2003, 08:35 PM
I ordered through Amazon, and although it has yet to ship, I have a delivery estimate of 3/20-3/21. I must confess that I go through waves of guilt. The two things that fray my nerves is that when all is set and done I'm dumping $3500 into a laptop, and will the 17" be TOO big for me.

Then I think of how I will be using Final Cut Pro 3, Photoshop 7, getting some of those movie ideas out of my head and into Final Draft, finally learning how to use Dreamweaver and Fireworks, all while having my 23 GB of music where ever I go, and it all comes home for me.

Bring on this week...I THINK I'm ready!!! :( :D :eek: :cool:

Heart Break Kid
Mar 16, 2003, 08:54 PM
:cool:

lord knows some of us have been waiting for this week since MWSF. to be a lil melodramatic - ive been waiting for the last 12 years...ever since my jack ass of a friend convinced me to go p.c...took me 12 years to realize p.c stood for PIECE'o'CRAP.

viva la powerbook!!

WOOOOOOOOO

DHagan4755
Mar 16, 2003, 09:16 PM
More fitting would be that you get what you pay for.

iJon
Mar 17, 2003, 09:46 AM
doesnt look like today will be the day, no telling what fed ex is doing. i thought since it was coming by plane it would be here by now. oh well. ill keep you guys posted.

iJon

FlashBIOS
Mar 17, 2003, 10:06 AM
doesnt look like today will be the day, no telling what fed ex is doing. i thought since it was coming by plane it would be here by now. oh well. ill keep you guys posted.

iJon

I just check the FedEx website for my shipping information and they've updated it with an arrival date -- of 3/19. Five days for evernight shipping? :confused:

This is the worst part of waiting.

Bear
Mar 17, 2003, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by FlashBIOS
I just check the FedEx website for my shipping information and they've updated it with an arrival date -- of 3/19. Five days for evernight shipping? :confused:

This is the worst part of waiting.
Was it overnight or 2 day shipping?

Do not count Saturday or Sunday as wait days on overnight and two day shipping.

Sometimes stuff shipped on Saturday will be will be delivered Monday when it's an overnight delivery.

Remember Saturday and Sunday don't count for most businesses. Unless you pay extra. That's why leadtimes are quoted in business days.

FlashBIOS
Mar 17, 2003, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Bear
Was it overnight or 2 day shipping?

You're right -- it was 2nd day. Too much excitement can be bad for facts. ;)

But it is still 3/19. Looking around the Web, it looks like no one else has an earlier day. One day for customs, and the rest for shipping.

daedelgt
Mar 17, 2003, 11:40 AM
That is so awsome. The first thing I plan on doing when I open my 17" Alubook will be the fish tank :D

Heart Break Kid
Mar 17, 2003, 12:46 PM
please
no one forget to post pics

LOTS AND LOTS OF PICS
pics of the box
pics of manuals
pics of the PB
pics of whatever

just post something damnit!!!

yzedf
Mar 17, 2003, 02:11 PM
are the BTO's that were ordered shipping yet? or is this another PM thing...?

Megaquad
Mar 17, 2003, 02:35 PM
does anybody know whats the link of that japanese site that had lots of pics of albook?

t^3
Mar 17, 2003, 03:10 PM
http://yoursphotographer.com/12&17inchFirstLook/12%2617inchFirstLook.html

I think this was the one that everyone was looking at.

Heart Break Kid
Mar 17, 2003, 03:22 PM
mega
pics are the only things keeping me sane during my wait also

hopefully we should both get ours soon

my order was bto also
i dun think ill get it this week
maybe next week at the earliest
but i seriously doubt that. im lookin at the end of march first week april

heres hoping im wrong and apple will surprise me

on a wierd note
they did charge the powerbook to my credit card 2 days ago
so maybe that means something eh?

any input would be appreciated
or maybe just words of support
im gonna crack soon

hopefully one of you guys will get urs
post tonnes of pics
and tell us how you made every p.c (personal crap) user wet his pants with envy

Jeffx342
Mar 17, 2003, 03:47 PM
wait my shipment is 3/21 on or before

does that mean it will ship friday, and get here
sunday, or monday?

Megaquad
Mar 17, 2003, 05:10 PM
thanks.. those pics are delicious

btw, i made albook out of paper, dimensions are exact and i use it as my second computer :D

DHagan4755
Mar 17, 2003, 06:29 PM
Well I'm out. I cancelled my Amazon order.

I couldn't come to terms with spending nearly $3500 for the PowerBook 17" and its case, particularly when what I really yearn for is the new Power Macs (or PowerBooks) of the fall (970s). I have had a G4 Quicksilver at 933MHz for a year now and it has been wonderful (knock on wood!). So spending $3500 a year later for just a 66 MHz upgrade is kind of a waste of $$$.

Equally as important is the realization that I think 17-inches is too big for me. 15" was just right. So I'm going to have to see these in person before I buy one and plunk down that kind of coin.

Therefore, I will prolly get a "tide-me-over" which can bridge me to the new summer/fall PowerMacs (and hopefully PowerBooks too).

iJon
Mar 18, 2003, 10:10 AM
well boys its here, stay tuned for pictures.

iJon

Maclicious
Mar 18, 2003, 10:13 AM
You got it?

My estimate updated to 10:30 am--tomorrow.

daedelgt
Mar 18, 2003, 10:13 AM
!!!!!

HOLY SHNIKIES BATMAN! Please get them up before 11:00 so I can go to Calculus with something nice to think about :D

lol, someone is hovering over their email ;)

Some other things... Give your impression of the latch, the way the powerbook sits closed, the LCD quality (light, contrast). Try to flex the screen, and post how resiliant it is. Umm... Post a pic of the backlist keyboard in a dark room. Run Cinebench ASAP for some bookmarks. I'll think of some more.

iJon
Mar 18, 2003, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by daedelgt
!!!!!

HOLY SHNIKIES BATMAN! Please get them up before 11:00 so I can go to Calculus with something nice to think about :D
ill try, im still home, i have to drive to work and take them. ill get dressed fast.

iJon

daedelgt
Mar 18, 2003, 10:18 AM
Thanks so much. I'm sure you know how much it means to all of us waiting impatiently for our BTOs :p

LosJackal
Mar 18, 2003, 10:19 AM
ill try, im still home, i have to drive to work and take them. ill get dressed fast.

iJon

Can you share your tracking number so that we can see what delivery route it took?

It seem everyone else's is in customs in Indiana at the moment.

iJon
Mar 18, 2003, 11:00 AM
ok well i played with it and i have some pros and cons. Stero speakers kick ass. i did some dolby thx surround sound stuff on it and it was great. not really and bass but nice clear sound. The hinge is to sensitive. its nice and flexible but when you carry it around it moves down or up depending on the angle. It is not heavy at all. i didnt really notice much of a difference between that and my 12. But it is too damn big. its HUGE. but anyways. the light sensors are at the bottom of the screen 2 at each corner. the keyboard is nice and bright. ill post more pictures with the 15 and ibook later on today. enjoy.

http://homepage.mac.com/jtaylor.mac/PhotoAlbum9.html

iJon

Captnroger
Mar 18, 2003, 11:05 AM
Thanks for sharing man.

FlamDrag
Mar 18, 2003, 11:17 AM
Mine is in Indianapolis for a "regulartory clearance delay"

Great - more delays. :rolleyes:

iJon
Mar 18, 2003, 11:24 AM
have some more info. it doesnt get HOT like the 12. it stays very cool. the other problem is my watch moves on the case when i type. guess im not used to that having the 12 personally. i got an xbench score of 96.05. it cleared customs in alaska.

iJon

FlamDrag
Mar 18, 2003, 11:34 AM
iJon -

When you get a chance can you tell us the 3 best and worst things about it in your experience so far?

Heart Break Kid
Mar 18, 2003, 11:35 AM
YAAY

MORE PIKS IJON PLEASE MORE PICS
im waiting on my bto also

damnit
im sooo happy

it looks beautiful
did u make any 1 jelous?

can u get a pic with the keyboard lit up?

aww jeez
im gushing

awwwww

Heart Break Kid
Mar 18, 2003, 11:41 AM
also

for the sake of my sanity
can u comfort me and tell me that mine is coming soon even thouugh i havent gotten an email from apple? :D

guess ur gonna have to satisfy not just ur own PB needs but every1 elses

iJon
Mar 18, 2003, 12:00 PM
well here are my favorites and non favorites.
favorite - stays cool, nice keyboard like the 12 inch. backlit keyboard kicks, and the stero speakers are awesome

not so favorites- well its to big for me, but thats a personal issue. hinge is to flimsy. and thats pretty much it. i wish the speakers had more bass buts thats nothing big, just get external speakers.

i took a picture of the lit up keyboard but it sucked. i bet there is a setting on my camera to make it look better i just know how to take pictures. im gonna come into work tomorrow early and take more pictures because customers have been looking at them. other than that it is a very nice machine.

iJon

iJon
Mar 18, 2003, 12:16 PM
also

for the sake of my sanity
can u comfort me and tell me that mine is coming soon even thouugh i havent gotten an email from apple? :D

guess ur gonna have to satisfy not just ur own PB needs but every1 elses
its coming, i promise.

iJon

Heart Break Kid
Mar 18, 2003, 12:30 PM
awww shucks
i knew itd be coming
but i just had to make sure ya know

sometimes i forget i ordered it and check my online status just to remind myself i did

ijon - more pics please more pics. more of anything and everything it came with the PB itself from all angles and then some and more pics...did i mention more pics? pleease? and if ya can...an indepth review pllleeeeease! :D...im sooo needy....i know...lol

FlashBIOS
Mar 18, 2003, 12:41 PM
not so favorites- well its to big for me

This has been my biggest fear. I purchased it without seeing it (like most of us), and the only thing I've been worried about is the size. I should have mine tomorrow, but iJon, could you explain why you think it is too big?

I'm a college programming teacher, and will love the screen for the work I do. However will be moving from room to room many times a day. If you were in my shoes, would you feel it is too big for that?

daedelgt
Mar 18, 2003, 12:45 PM
I checked the Average XBench scores and it looks like this thing scores about 7-8 points above the Quicksilver Dual 800 MHz G4 and aproximately 8-9 points below the Dual 867 MHz G4.

Is this a good or bad thing? I've been on my 450 MHz G3 tower for so long I can't even begin to compare.

How flimsy is the screen?

iJon
Mar 18, 2003, 01:08 PM
well its just not something i would want to carry in my backback. thats why i love the 12 inch powerbook. its not heavy though. if i had a timbuktu case for it and i could slide it in my bag it would probably enjoy it more. i just dont think any of use really dont know what to expect of a 17 inch laptop. i mean this is the first one ever. ive aleady been playing with it and it seems fine. i think it will just be odd at first carrying it around so i would worry. about the flimsy screen now. the 12 inch has theb est one. a very nice smooth hinge, but only moves when you push it. the 17 has a very very smooth hinge but if you are carrying it while its open it will move. but it doesnt shift while its on your desk nor does is slowly fall down due to gravity just sitting there. just when you are carrying it or moving it fast. ill try to make a movie of it tomorrow.

iJon

FlashBIOS
Mar 18, 2003, 01:25 PM
Thanks iJon. What about screen quality? Bright? Sharp? Do the keys touch it at all?

daedelgt
Mar 18, 2003, 01:34 PM
I was more curious about any flexing. Do you see that as a problem?

iJon
Mar 18, 2003, 01:42 PM
i do not think they touch the keyboard. i think having two latches prevents it from touching. i wouldnt worry about that. i do not find the flexing a problem. if you pick it up and carry it into the other room the screen may lose a couple of degress as you. but its nothing like a broken hinge where gravity just pulls the thing shut. i think because its so wide it couldnt be as secure as the 12. the only thing im really scared of is scratching the case with my watch as i type. although i must say this new metal they chose is tough as hell. ive actually banged up my laptop pretty hard but the metal has yet to scratch. i know if i had hit a 15 inch powerbook the same way it would have chipped or scratched. oh by the way, the other people were right about the other pictures, the new 17's do not have any rubber grips at the corners.

iJon

iJon
Mar 18, 2003, 01:45 PM
sorry for another post, you guys probably think im spamming this thread, the powerbook does have rubber grips after i looked at it again, but they arent in the same spots as the 12. there are 2 of them right next to each hook on the screen. you can see them in my picture of the hooks on the screen (not on the base of the laptop).

iJon

Over Achiever
Mar 18, 2003, 01:58 PM
Well i called the local Apple store today, and they had recieved two. Unfortunately they were sold out by the time I called to check...but I have one reserved for the next shipment.

FlashBIOS
Mar 18, 2003, 02:00 PM
you guys probably think im spamming this thread

Spam away! There is so much I want to know.:D

Foxer
Mar 18, 2003, 02:08 PM
why didn't the apple.com site update with main page with a 17-inch "Now Shipping" to replace the aged 1.4 page that is still there? I thought that would be a given. Any update would be nice.

by the by, these things sound sweet, but I'll remain faithful to my new 12-incher:)

daedelgt
Mar 18, 2003, 02:09 PM
Spam away! There is so much I want to know.:D

No crap :) I don't care if you spam at all... More information!

When you get home give us some Q3 FPS so we can judge the slightly controversial GPU. I'd also like to see (eventually) HD benchmarks, memory benchmarks, and a picture with your hands resting on the keyboard for a really good comparison shot (those asian guys might have small hands). Umm... DVD/CDR/CDRW burn speeds would be nice too :)

JonnieK
Mar 18, 2003, 02:13 PM
What about the quality of the 17" screen?
Is it as good as the iMacs?

Damn! Can't decide wether to wait for an updated 15"AlBook or to pick up one of the 17" as they arrive here...

what yo mean?

FlashBIOS
Mar 18, 2003, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Foxer
why didn't the apple.com site update with main page with a 17-inch "Now Shipping" to replace the aged 1.4 page that is still there? I thought that would be a given. Any update would be nice.

Someone on another site said that Apple has only shipped 150 units because they are still having production problems. The 150 that they did ship were hand picked.

I don't know if that is true, but if it is that may explain why Apple hasn't updated their page.

Grimace
Mar 18, 2003, 02:40 PM
I just picked up my 17" from the Apple Store. Oh my god! This thing is amazing!!

Aluminum Ambrosia!!

The Woodfield (Chicago) Apple store has one left for walk ins...

Wren
Mar 18, 2003, 02:40 PM
CONGRATULATIONS iJon!!:) Finally--I should be getting mine within the week. Thanks for your posts...btw, when did you order yours? Secondly, how is the resolution? How do you like the Nvdia graphics ( if you've used it yet). As for the size, I saw one at the apple store but I think it is just a matter of getting used to. I can't wait to get mine.....Congratulations again!!

firewire
Mar 18, 2003, 03:02 PM
Wow!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to get mine. I orded from Sweetwater sound!! I am going to use mine with Pro tools to record bands LIVE, and sell them the CD after the show? I have the Mbox with LE software. I hope Sweetwater will get a few in. I orded mine when I first seen them at the Mac World Show. It looks and sounds like it is the best laptop on the face of the EARTH!!!!!!!

Chuck
Mar 18, 2003, 04:07 PM
Wow, fantastic news to wake up to! (Aussie time of course).

iJon and carletonmusic, can you tell me if the trackpad button is better than what I've heard about the 12"?

Apparently it sticks down sometimes. I think it must have only one spring in the middle and I'm hoping that because the 17" is a bigger button, it has a spring at both ends...

Ta,
Chuck.

PS - What did you name the new machine?
PS - Bring on the posts and pics guys! This is your hour!

iJon
Mar 18, 2003, 04:40 PM
this is our demo model, im not taking it home and playing games and stuff on it. but i will try to get your some benchmarks for quake 3 because i do have it.

iJon

iJon
Mar 18, 2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Chuck
Wow, fantastic news to wake up to! (Aussie time of course).

iJon and carletonmusic, can you tell me if the trackpad button is better than what I've heard about the 12"?

Apparently it sticks down sometimes. I think it must have only one spring in the middle and I'm hoping that because the 17" is a bigger button, it has a spring at both ends...

Ta,
Chuck.

PS - What did you name the new machine?
PS - Bring on the posts and pics guys! This is your hour!
track pad seems the same, because i never had problems with my 12 inch track pad. the 17 inch powerbook trackpad button is not as tall and it is wider.

iJon

Heart Break Kid
Mar 18, 2003, 05:59 PM
sorry ijon
but i think i speak with everyone when i say i think you've had it too long now.
please be considerate and send the powerbook over to me so i can run my own tests..including jelousy rating amongst peecee users etc. email me and ill send u the shipping adress. you will recieve it back when i recieve my BTO. until then...be satisfied knowing that im using it strictly because the mac community deems it necessary. sorry bud

iJon
Mar 18, 2003, 06:09 PM
sorry ijon
but i think i speak with everyone when i say i think you've had it too long now.
please be considerate and send the powerbook over to me so i can run my own tests..including jelousy rating amongst peecee users etc. email me and ill send u the shipping adress. you will recieve it back when i recieve my BTO. until then...be satisfied knowing that im using it strictly because the mac community deems it necessary. sorry bud
damn, i knew i couldnt keep it forever.

iJon

photohead
Mar 18, 2003, 06:16 PM
ijon,
when the 17PB is closed do the keys touch the screen? I know they tryed to fix that in the 12in PB but I've found when you press on it the screen rubs the keys. Also considering the 17 is so wide i would think that there would be more likely to rub. ?
In your opinion would this be something you could throw in a back pack or a briefcase without worry of flex?

N :)

Heart Break Kid
Mar 18, 2003, 06:16 PM
hey ijon

got any more info? please have more info
how preliminary review...without benchmarks
what YOU think about it and stuff...maybe how the osx runs..how the net functions...how the hardware is...anything
maybe more pics ? :D
i need more pics
i will die if i dont get more pics.

this is my first mac purchase
and i wanna make sure this machine is worth the 4g price tag...i dont really doubt it doesnt..but its always nice to be told...damn ..that machine u bought is finnne...good job u didnt listen to ur bro and pick up a dell inspirion

iJon
Mar 18, 2003, 06:23 PM
well i use the 15 all the time, which is the same speeds as the 17. it is very fast and very sleek. i feel so powerful when i take it around. the keyboard thing is genious allow i honestly feel its for people who dont know how to type. if it plays games anything like the 9000 it will be awesome. i would expect to get 3 hours out of this machine in battery life. os x feels a little bit zippier with the ata 100 and ddr ram than the 15. ah its such a wonderful machine. all though i would take it in a heartbeat i prefer the 12 inch for school. but this 17 inch powerbook is really the king of desktops in a laptop form factor. ill take some picture of it running final cut pro and photoshop to show how much real estate you will ahve. ill take this tomorrow. on another note about the hinge. its not that bad at all. from playing with more and more today the hinge is just perfect. i am ruling that off my non favorite list. so far my problems with are things that could not be avoided and are just personal problems. this is a perfect laptop.

iJon

daedelgt
Mar 18, 2003, 06:27 PM
the perfect laptop... thats some good eatin'!

I'm glad you like it. It makes me feel better about my purchase.

You don't have to go play games on it. I just thought Q3 would be good because everyone seems to benchmark with it. If you don't like that option Cinebench is a good GPU benchmarking tool as well.

-D

Heart Break Kid
Mar 18, 2003, 06:29 PM
...marry me ijon
just until my 17" Alubook comes in. we can get a divorce when that happens. no sex. you just have to allow me full use of the machine. ur welcome to keep them after the divorce..but i get to keep the one i have on hand.

lol
just kidding

thats great news u know
im sure everyone will be salivating when they get that special email from apple telling them their pb has been shipped. have you shown it to the avg computer user? what do they think of it...especially bout the keyboard

does the screen actually adjust its brightness...like..can u notice it?

PHARAOHk
Mar 18, 2003, 06:40 PM
So are stores just getting 1 display or more? I am on the short list at a local store. When should I expect to get it?
(((k)))

iJon
Mar 18, 2003, 06:43 PM
yeah the screen does dim and you can notice it. ill try to throw quake 3 on there tomorrow nad play with it. apple stores and resellers are slowly getting them. i think we had our 2nd one ship not to long ago.

iJon

Jeffx342
Mar 18, 2003, 07:06 PM
Could any one please post some Hi-res screenshots of the 17in Alubook

iJon
Mar 18, 2003, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Jeffx342
Could any one please post some Hi-res screenshots of the 17in Alubook
ill post one tomorrow.

iJon

nanosound
Mar 18, 2003, 07:28 PM
Hey Chuck,

Congratulations! (again)

Another member added to the family!

Chuck
Mar 18, 2003, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by nanosound
Hey Chuck,

Congratulations! (again)

Another member added to the family!

Not quite... Haven't got it yet! (you were referring to the 17PB weren't you?). Chloé is doing great, and starting to make different little baby noises which is very cute.

Chuck.

FlashBIOS
Mar 18, 2003, 07:53 PM
im sure everyone will be salivating when they get that special email from apple telling them their pb has been shipped.

I know I sure am. In fact I am about to dehydrate because my computer left Anchorage 2:50 pm on the 17th (that's almost 30 hours ago) and has yet to show up anywhere else.

I already checked and Heat Break Kid did not hijack my poor FedEx guy. ;) Can anyone with more experience shipping clue me in? I need a drink so badly.

Grimace
Mar 18, 2003, 07:55 PM
The only thing that I can think of that is difficult about this 17" is the size. While only 2 inches longer and a little bit deeper, you definitely can't pick it up with one hand - or at least, I'm too nervous to try. THe 12 and 15 were managable in that sense.

However, it all depends on the purpose you have for the machine. Mine is going to serve as a desktop replacement that is occasionally transportable (once a week or so.) The size issue doesn't make much difference there. For everyday transport users - take a look at an Apple store before you buy. It may not be the best thing for an every day commute.

Other than that, it is really sweet. Unfortunately, I don't have any neat programs to show pictures of; I've spent most of my time just looking at it in awe and reaquainting myself with OSX....so much better than OS9!

On a side note - the case that it comes in is pretty slick too - yes, I mean the actual box - little carrying handle and all!!

iJon
Mar 18, 2003, 07:55 PM
I know I sure am. In fact I am about to dehydrate because my computer left Anchorage 2:50 pm on the 17th (that's almost 30 hours ago) and has yet to show up anywhere else.

I already checked and Heat Break Kid did not hijack my poor FedEx guy. ;) Can anyone with more experience shipping clue me in? I need a drink so badly.
probably be there tomorrow morning if it was in alaska today.

iJon

iJon
Mar 18, 2003, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by carletonmusic
The only thing that I can think of that is difficult about this 17" is the size. While only 2 inches longer and a little bit deeper, you definitely can't pick it up with one hand - or at least, I'm too nervous to try. THe 12 and 15 were managable in that sense.

However, it all depends on the purpose you have for the machine. Mine is going to serve as a desktop replacement that is occasionally transportable (once a week or so.) The size issue doesn't make much difference there. For everyday transport users - take a look at an Apple store before you buy. It may not be the best thing for an every day commute.

Other than that, it is really sweet. Unfortunately, I don't have any neat programs to show pictures of; I've spent most of my time just looking at it in awe and reaquainting myself with OSX....so much better than OS9!

On a side note - the case that it comes in is pretty slick too - yes, I mean the actual box - little carrying handle and all!!
i picked it up with one hand just fine and tucked it under my arm. The box is huge though that it came in

iJon

FlashBIOS
Mar 18, 2003, 08:06 PM
probably be there tomorrow morning if it was in alaska today.

I sure hope so! I'm being driven crazy and it only gets worse as the hours in this mysterious 30+ hour transit increase. :p

Heart Break Kid
Mar 18, 2003, 08:10 PM
man its great to see ppl are getting thier orders
:)
i only hope they start shipping the BTO's sometime soon. i ordered the following from apple

brenthaven case
move2mac
iLive
apple care
office
medal of honor: AA
lacie 200gb fire wire drive
firewire hub
printer
17" powerbook with 1gb ram

i recieved everything but the powerbook
so hope it comes soon. i know im tired of carrying the brenthaven case pretending i have it already :D
and setting my dell to a mac osx theme....doesnt really satisfy me cuz even with the theme it still keeps crashing

i rebooted before i made this post
argh

but my savior shall arive soon. ijon said itd come! so its coming.

any1 else waiting on there BTO?

daedelgt
Mar 18, 2003, 08:11 PM
Me! I'm waiting for BTO heaven. Same config.

iJon
Mar 18, 2003, 08:13 PM
man its great to see ppl are getting thier orders
i only hope they start shipping the BTO's sometime soon. i ordered the following from apple

brenthaven case
move2mac
iLive
apple care
office
medal of honor: AA
lacie 200gb fire wire drive
firewire hub
printer
17" powerbook with 1gb ram

i recieved everything but the powerbook
so hope it comes soon. i know im tired of carrying the brenthaven case pretending i have it already :D
and setting my dell to a mac osx theme....doesnt really satisfy me cuz even with the theme it still keeps crashing

i rebooted before i made this post
argh

but my savior shall arive soon. ijon said itd come! so its coming.

any1 else waiting on there BTO?
i have one question, why did you buy ilife? you should have gotten .mac.

iJon

Kwyjibo
Mar 18, 2003, 08:25 PM

I did the same thing before my iBook was released (it arrived a week afte ordering) I actually got my windows looking kinda like osx ( i know its not the same) but it looked pretty good for windows. The weird thing wa as soon as i ordered my iBook, i swithced back to a windows theme for no reason but now i'm hooked on OSX

Heart Break Kid
Mar 18, 2003, 08:27 PM
...ijon

i have no idea why i bought ilife. but the fact is i havent bought a mac in 12 years...so i bought whatever looked interesting :D
i went shopped like my gf in a mall full of shoe stores...and i dun really regret it. its less money im spending on M$ (yes i bought office but still..i had to) but if it means anything! i plan on getting keynote (yaay me)

bout the .mac....maybe soon..but not yet....i still have a 5000 odd bill im trying to rationalize :D

but when i get my finances in order again...another splurge...for a new ipod...keynote... .mac, and new soundstick speakers...maybe that nifty looking media remote..just to make my wintel evangilist brother more jelous
lol

the apple store is my oyster!!
yaay!

FlashBIOS
Mar 18, 2003, 08:36 PM
I think FedEx is reading this board. After posting about the 30 hour transit to who-knows-where they must have realized I was on to them because they just released my PB from Indianapolis. :rolleyes:

What a relief. And to the FedEx guy who is reading this -- thanks!

Heart Break Kid
Mar 18, 2003, 08:36 PM
i played with osx for the first time in my life last month. ur right..there is NO REPLACEMENT. i dont care how much xp looks like osx..thats pretty much it. osx stops short of perfection only because it doesnt make supermodels who luv me fall outa the sky and tell me how great i am...but other then that...it sure kicks xp to the curb.

side note - when i actually did test osx..i spent 1/2 hour looking for a freaking dll. my friend let me install rtcw on his imac...while he was in the kitchen. i cant believe instalation was soooo freakin simple...and the computer didnt go that annoying blue screen that mine did when i tried running the game on a wintel running xp.

the osx is just...beautiful i guess is the easiest way to describe. i know xp is pretty flashy lookin compared to 98..but thats just on the surface. osx is intrisically beautiful..its naturally beautiful...windows xp is a christina aguilera(excuse me those who think this image is attractive) while osx is an audrey hepburn//maralyn monroe.

Maclicious
Mar 18, 2003, 09:17 PM
I think FedEx is reading this board. After posting about the 30 hour transit to who-knows-where they must have realized I was on to them because they just released my PB from Indianapolis. :rolleyes:

What a relief. And to the FedEx guy who is reading this -- thanks!

Mine has been held up in Indianapolis since this morning--some sort of Regulatory Agency Clearance Delay. Argh! I hope this is just a glitch, and it's really on its way to Seattle. My estimated delivery time is still 10:30 am tomorrow.

iJon
Mar 18, 2003, 09:24 PM
hopefully the war wont do anything to prevent shipping.

iJon

daniel77
Mar 18, 2003, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Maclicious
Mine has been held up in Indianapolis since this morning--some sort of Regulatory Agency Clearance Delay. Argh! I hope this is just a glitch, and it's really on its way to Seattle. My estimated delivery time is still 10:30 am tomorrow.

sweet another seattleite :P :D :D :D

Heart Break Kid
Mar 18, 2003, 09:29 PM
:O

OMG !
I HADNT EVEN THOUGHT OF THAT POSSIBILITY

ugh.

FlashBIOS
Mar 18, 2003, 09:34 PM

Does yours actually say something about a regulatory agency delay? While mine said that it left Indianapolis FedEx Sort Facility, it has said nothing about the regulatory agency. Does it go to the regulatory agency after it leaves FedEx, or did mine skip this step?

Maclicious
Mar 18, 2003, 09:54 PM
Does yours actually say something about a regulatory agency delay? While mine said that it left Indianapolis FedEx Sort Facility, it has said nothing about the regulatory agency. Does it go to the regulatory agency after it leaves FedEx, or did mine skip this step?

Yep, in the comment field, it says exactly "Regulatory Agency Clearance Delay."

FlashBIOS
Mar 18, 2003, 09:58 PM
Yep, in the comment field, it says exactly "Regulatory Agency Clearance Delay."

And just to clarify, that is after it leaves the Indianapolis sort facility?

RBMaraman
Mar 18, 2003, 10:00 PM
**Attention all you folks whose PB's are stuck in Indianapolis**

I'm from Indiana, and it was reported on the news earlier tonight that there was some sort of anthrax scare at the Indianapolis airport. Some people found a fed-ex box that was leaking white powder, and they temporarily shut down the facility. After several hours, they discovered that the substance was an energy drink in powder form that had leaked out of a pouch. Officials said that things were back to normal within a few hours.

So, there's some info for y'all. Enjoy those PB's!

FlashBIOS
Mar 18, 2003, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by RBMaraman
it was reported on the news earlier tonight that there was some sort of anthrax scare at the Indianapolis airport

You can't be serious! And here I thought that my Mac was one of the few things that would be safe from terrorism. :(

RBMaraman
Mar 18, 2003, 10:10 PM
You can't be serious! And here I thought that my Mac was one of the few things that would be safe from terrorism. :(

Yep, Indiana isn't exactly the safest US state.

2 weeks ago, the CIA and FBI admitted they have been flying spy planes over Indiana University in Bloomington, IN to keep tabs over students they suspect are terrorists.

Then, I had a friend in the FBI tell me that a terrorsist attack in Indiana is extremly possible. Even Homeland Defense Secretary Tom Ridge has said that Indiana should be on a higher terror alert.

Scary stuff. I try to keep my mind off of terrorism by focusing on my studies and checking Mac Rumors.

God, I wish I could afford a 17" PB. I'm extremly jealous of all you guys getting one. Good luck, and take good care of those babies!

superscientific
Mar 19, 2003, 12:05 AM
Mine has not shipped either
I didn't buy mine until the first week of FEB

Oh well I am patiently waiting...

danny

FlamDrag
Mar 19, 2003, 12:50 AM
I wonder if Apple upgraded my order to overnight? FedEx est's my delivery as tomorrow afternoon. That's overnight from indiana after clearing customs.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

iJon - thanks for your numerous posts. They make it more bearable.

PHARAOHk
Mar 19, 2003, 01:37 AM
I am so anxious I literally can't sleep. Flamedrag the quote you are using as your sig is so awesome! I can't believe it's real, Say it aint so.
(((k)))

LosJackal
Mar 19, 2003, 03:32 AM
Originally posted by PHARAOHk
I am so anxious I literally can't sleep. Flamedrag the quote you are using as your sig is so awesome! I can't believe it's real, Say it aint so.
(((k)))

Yeah, that's what I'm doing awake....popped out of sleep, decided to hobble over to the computer.

Out of 24 tracking numbers I'm watching, 9 of them are still in Indiana. Their delivery time still says 10:30am though, hasn't been modified.

Thankfully, mine is apparently on a flight to California right now.

Did you guys notice that your email charge receipt from Apple has your computer serial number on it? Kinda cool.

Heart Break Kid
Mar 19, 2003, 07:59 AM
hey morning guys

any news from apple? im still waiting. its gonna take me atleast another 2 weeks probably before i even hear anything. i ordered 1gb of ram with mine during the first week of feb. oye...but atleast some1s seen thiers.

FlashBIOS
Mar 19, 2003, 07:59 AM
And just to clarify, that is after it leaves the Indianapolis sort facility?

I guess time has answered my own question. It doesn't appear that all PowerBooks go through customs. If it does say that in the FedEx comments field, then mine had gotten into town without that stop.

I guess even if it did, who cares, mine is in town! :D

Bear
Mar 19, 2003, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by FlamDrag
I wonder if Apple upgraded my order to overnight? FedEx est's my delivery as tomorrow afternoon. That's overnight from indiana after clearing customs.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

iJon - thanks for your numerous posts. They make it more bearable.
Actually, the delivery clock seems to start when it ships from Taiwan. At least anything I ordered with two day delivery showed up 2 days after Fedex picked it up in Taiwan.

As an amusing note, fedex has more like 2 and a half days due to the time zone differences.

FlashBIOS
Mar 19, 2003, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Bear
Actually, the delivery clock seems to start when it ships from Taiwan. At least anything I ordered with two day delivery showed up 2 days after Fedex picked it up in Taiwan.

When I called Apple about this very same thing they said that the transit time is from when it arrives in the US. You might have been lucky before, or Apple is just being careful.

FlamDrag
Mar 19, 2003, 09:45 AM
It should be here in 45 min or less (sounds like pizza) according to the FedEx tracking site.

Digital Camera is all charged up and ready to go. Tons and tons of pictures to follow.

I'll post the URL as soon as they're up.

Wren
Mar 19, 2003, 09:54 AM
It should be here in 45 min or less (sounds like pizza) according to the FedEx tracking site.

Digital Camera is all charged up and ready to go. Tons and tons of pictures to follow.

I'll post the URL as soon as they're up.

Can't wait to see them! When did you order your PB? I ordered mine on 13 January and the status of my order remains: "Open". Just reading this thread keeps my adrenaline going!! :D

Bear
Mar 19, 2003, 10:04 AM
When I called Apple about this very same thing they said that the transit time is from when it arrives in the US. You might have been lucky before, or Apple is just being careful.
So go by when it landed in Alaska. Usually it lands in Alaska the same calendar day it leaves Taiwan due to the timezone differences.

Mind you if Apple pushes it onto the loading dock after Fedex pickup/cutoff, it won't leave Taiwan until the next [business?] day.

FlashBIOS
Mar 19, 2003, 10:46 AM
It is here! And it is worth the wait.

I've taken pictures of the entire unpacking process and will post all of them tonight. Right now it is going through a battery of OpenFirmware tests, checking the PMU, HD and others. It has been a while since I bought my G4 350 Sawtooth, do they all do this now?

daedelgt
Mar 19, 2003, 10:53 AM
Run XBench as soon as you can. I want to see if we're going to see some huge variations in performance as we seem to see on other machines.

FlashBIOS
Mar 19, 2003, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by daedelgt
Run XBench as soon as you can. I want to see if we're going to see some huge variations in performance as we seem to see on other machines.

I sure will.

Some first impressions:
1. Fit and finish is wonderful. No warping. And the track-pad button, while raised slightly, is smooth.
2. There are nibs for the screen. They are right at the top of the screen by the recessed latches.
3. The size is not too big for me. I am 6'4" and 260 lbs, so I am not small. I like the width of the machine as my hands and arms don't fall off the rests.
4. I picked it up by the SuperDrive's corner and it did not flex or bend. The screen will flex, but it does not distort. Pressing on the back of the screen resulted in a dime sized distortion only when pressed in one area right above the Apple logo.
5. I am not sure about the brightness of the screen as it is still in the OpenFirmware tests, but I thought the viewing angle would be a little better. Keep in mind that this is my first Mac portable since the 520C almost 10 years ago. While I do not think the viewing angle is as good as an iMac, I do not think that it is bad.
6. No heat. Very slight warmth from in front of the power cable. And I can feel the heat radiating from the vent in front of the screen's hinge but that is normal and only apparent when my hand is placed in front of the vent.
7. Also on heat, I think I am hearing the HD (slightly) but it may be the fan. I am not used to the sounds yet.

Any specific questions?

Maclicious
Mar 19, 2003, 12:03 PM
GOT IT!

It took me awhile to get back online, 'cause I had my airport basestation set up only to recognize my other two iBooks--but I forgot :-).

I'll publish a very short iMovie later of the upacking :-).

Jimme
Mar 19, 2003, 12:08 PM
Hi,

Any chance of getting some pictures of your hands actually on the laptop as if you were typing ? (sorry if people have already posted such picutres but I've not seen any except the ones from ages ago).

Could you also try a DVD and some form of FPS game, to see how well the screen handles such motion.

Thanks!

Jimme

JonnieK
Mar 19, 2003, 12:10 PM
Congratulations to you lucky boys!

Cmon show that movie!

I want mine to!

FlashBIOS
Mar 19, 2003, 12:16 PM
My 17" is coming up on two hours of the Cashmere test suite of tests before I can use the computer. It started the tests with the first powerup. Did this happen to you guys?

Jimme
Mar 19, 2003, 12:33 PM
Thats gotta be painfull, having it and not being able to use it !

Still prefer to have it on my desk doing the tests than not at all

FlamDrag
Mar 19, 2003, 12:37 PM
It's here - three words...

Worth the wait.

I'll post unpacking pics (no movies) + 17PB vs. Pismo pics and my new 17PB in it's Timbuk2 bag later.

I didn't imagine it being this damn sexy. Closed it just looks large. Open - it's breathtaking.

FlamDrag
Mar 19, 2003, 12:54 PM
Ok, I just turned it on - thoughts as I go...

The screen is unreal.

OK- what country am I in? WOW the button on the trackpad is NICE. It does stick up just a hair but it moves VERY little to click.

OK - Need my name and stuff: This keyboard is great. I'm typing this msg on my Pismo. I used to LOVE my Pismo, but now I see why my hands hurt. This keyboard is terrible - 17PB is awesome.

Trackpad feels great. It has a nice texture to it.

Ok - internet connection - ports on the side is a bit different... not sure how I like that yet. Pismo has them on the back.

Default trackpad speed is a bit slower than I like. But that's just default...

It's taking a bit to 'disconnect' from registration...disturbingly long...screen dimmed while waiting...tick tock...man...what do I do? This is scary! The little blue blobs bouncing back and forth - blue 'ocean' movie playing on the left - but what is it doing?

I'll post more later when it stops this...I'm very worried.

Heart Break Kid
Mar 19, 2003, 01:03 PM
awww wow

cmon lets get some pics up ppl

some of us bto's orderers still waiting for ours

man im soo happy for u ppl
finally our waiting has paid off

FlashBIOS
Mar 19, 2003, 01:17 PM
It appears that my compuer was sent to me with out being properly imaged. I am talking with Apple right now to get it fixed. But Cashmere lives on a 5GB partition with a number of interesting utilities and documents which I assume that I'll have to keep to myself as it shouldn't have gotten to me like this.

FlashBIOS
Mar 19, 2003, 01:18 PM
I should add that I don't care that it was sent to me with out being imaged. I still have it! It is awesome! :D

FlamDrag
Mar 19, 2003, 01:19 PM
OK, on the phone to apple care - told me to hold down power and turn it off - restarting.

OK - ran disk repair, everything is OK, restarting again. Tech support guy "Joe" was very kind and helpful.

Wow it's a fast restart.

Hrm. I have to use IE to go get XBench...

OK, well that's it I guess. It's a sexy beast! Pictures on the way and an XBench score as well.

Heart Break Kid
Mar 19, 2003, 01:25 PM
atleast it wasnt anything serious

me want pictures!!!!
any first impressions?
any1 gonna try to do a full out review?

can u run Q3 and tell me how it is?

mgargan1
Mar 19, 2003, 01:45 PM
why is everyone getting theirs, and I haven't gotten mine yet? I ordered mine on the 8th of Janurary, and I didn't add anything... it was the stock powerbook! I want it now!!, come on, where are these pics that you guys are talking about...? I wanna see 'em!!

Heart Break Kid
Mar 19, 2003, 02:10 PM
dang dang dang
can someone pleeeease show off there pb some more? pleeease? cmon...i know some1 can take more pics, or write a bit on how it is...or even a small vid? aww shucks...i know i sound annoying but you ppl know how it is to be left in the dark lol. must have more info!

FlamDrag
Mar 19, 2003, 02:24 PM
http://www.ninefivefive.org/newPowerbook/

Pictures - I started to color balance etc and gave up. Some are blurry - sorry.

This thing is GREAT. I don't own Quake so don't ask. :)

I ordered mine on 7 Jan at 11:30 - so I'd expect jan 8 orders to be soon.

It's quick. I'm at work so it's sitting here folding away until I can do anything else with it.

edit: no amount of pictures can tell you how cool this thing is. You just have to have it.

Heart Break Kid
Mar 19, 2003, 02:26 PM
flamdrag

thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you

beautiful
just ..no words....to ..describe...*tear*

mgargan1
Mar 19, 2003, 02:50 PM
now when it finally comes, should I charge it right away like you have to do with a portable phone, or can i use it right away?

FlamDrag
Mar 19, 2003, 02:58 PM
Actually the first thing I saw in the 'getting started' book had to do with the battery.

Yes, it says to charge it fully - run it all the way down - and then you're good.

Also, it says that you can swap batteries in sleep mode. This is contrary to previous reports (including myself quoting those reports to others who have asked the question).

This is my first post with my new powerbook!

Re: heat - I've been folding with it (read lots of processor time) for over an hour and it's 25% (estimate) cooler than my pismo. It's not uncomfortable at all. BTW that's all underneath the machine. The top side is nice and chilly.

XBench - right out of the box: 95.85 You can see detailed results under "FlamDrag 17" Powerbook" on xbench.com

daedelgt
Mar 19, 2003, 03:14 PM
Interesting Comparison here on the video:

A Dual 1.25 with 2.00GB of memory and a Radeon 9000 Pro is the first number. FlamDrag's PB Stats are in bold.

Quartz Graphics Test
160.05 125.13

Line
148.79 127.19
3.79 Klines/sec [50% alpha] 3.24 Klines/sec [50% alpha]

Rectangle
156.49 119.33
11.01 Krects/sec [50% alpha] 8.39 Krects/sec [50% alpha]

Circle
172.76 133.29
3.98 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha] 3.07 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha]

Bezier
159.99 121.65
1.74 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha] 1.32 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha]

Text
164.17 125.12
2.68 Kchars/sec 2.04 Kchars/sec

OpenGL Graphics Test
133.58 126.68

This particularly impresses me:

Spinning Squares
133.58 126.68
93.48 frames/sec 88.65 frames/sec

iJon
Mar 19, 2003, 03:17 PM
got soem more pictues up. i also have a high rez picture in my public folder of the desktop.

http://homepage.mac.com/jtaylor.mac/PhotoAlbum11.html

iJon

Over Achiever
Mar 19, 2003, 03:18 PM
Re: heat - I've been folding with it (read lots of processor time) for over an hour and it's 25% (estimate) cooler than my pismo. It's not uncomfortable at all. BTW that's all underneath the machine. The top side is nice and chilly.
Let us know when the fan turns on...I might be leaving my computer on 24/7 to fold, and I want to know if the fan will be annoying.

Thanks.

FlamDrag
Mar 19, 2003, 03:33 PM
You can barely hear the fan. It's VERY quiet.

Another interesting note. After running software update my SuperDrive quit working - it wouldn't accept any media.

Zapped the p-ram (thanks to applecare) and it worked just fine again.

I think I'll be purchasing the extended appleCare for sure.

Over Achiever
Mar 19, 2003, 03:39 PM
You can barely hear the fan. It's VERY quiet.
There's two stages to the fan if I remember correctly. The second one may kick in quite a bit later...just wondering if folding at 100% CPU will eventually kick it on...and its louder.;)

Swordsman
Mar 19, 2003, 04:42 PM
Did anyone order from Clubmac? If so, have you received any shipping confirmation from them?

iJon
Mar 19, 2003, 04:53 PM
the fans are very quiet, i can barely hear it. our 2nd one just came intoday.

iJon

Heart Break Kid
Mar 19, 2003, 05:07 PM
great pics people
ijon - you were right about that keyboard pic
kinda hard to see but other then that sweeet.

its great to see every1 putting pics up, i finally know what im waiting for. my date is on before 4/25 with 4/2 being the earliest i can get it according the apple store guy i asked back in feb. but this info and stuff should hold me for another 2 weeks

any 17" videos? LOL
id love to see them

so what software does it come with?
can anyone tell me how long the battery life is in real life conditions? i mean...if your not using it to burn dvds or play games..like just for powerpoint or word, will it break 3 hours on a full charge?

also whats this I hear about the superdrive dying after the update? how was this solved? i know some1 said they zapped the pram, but being a new mac user, well i will be a new mac user when my 17"gets here, what the heck does zap the pram mean?

can some1 run a movie on it and tell me how it looks? i mean, is the screen as stunning as it looks on the ads?

you know, i never knew the apple logo glowed until i saw an ibook today :D what a pleasent surpris

Maclicious
Mar 19, 2003, 05:33 PM
Here is a movie I slapped together. Yes, it's rough, but it gets across the sentiment.

(also, imove 3 was unusable on my iBook 500, so it was awesome to be able to use it so smoothly!)

http://homepage.mac.com/macbrucecordell/iMovieTheater8.html

Heart Break Kid
Mar 19, 2003, 05:40 PM
*tear*

oscar worthy MACLISIOUS, truly oscar worthy
if you were trying to mak eme cry....you've succeeded. The drama, the suspense...this movie had it all...and what a great soundtrack...all in all, an epic for the ages.

perhaps you would find time to do a sequal? for us who are powerbook-less? with your francis ford copla style im sure you can out-do the first...

possible plot lines
Alubook II - where the new Alfather goes to vegas and trys to take over a casino only to be betrayed by his 15" brother. i smell another oscar

KronicX
Mar 19, 2003, 05:52 PM
HBK, did you order yours back in Feb and have a 4/25 arrival date?! I ordered mine last week and mine is scheduled to arrive on or before 4/18. :confused:

Heart Break Kid
Mar 19, 2003, 05:54 PM
yah i did

i ordered mine feb 10th i believe
and have an on before of 4/25

but then again mine wasnt stock
i ordered it with the gb of ram

i called the guy today and he said theres a 90% chance id see it in the first week of april. im not a gambling man, but i think thems pretty good odds

iJon
Mar 19, 2003, 06:53 PM
damn, its movies like that that make me proud to be a mac user. how many people dell people make movies about their laptops. it also found out something else that made me happy. a person came into the store and said was comparing prices with a gateway and she told me thse prices have been marked down because the local gateway store is closing. what a glorious day. chikfila has the cow all to them selves now.

iJon

Heart Break Kid
Mar 19, 2003, 07:52 PM
lol
so true

stupid gateway
im pretty sure if the cow had a say itd use a mac

mgargan1
Mar 19, 2003, 08:07 PM
i want my computer!!! i'm happy for all of you guys that got their computers, buit i want mine now, and I think that I should have gotten them all now!!

D.W
Mar 19, 2003, 08:42 PM
Here is a movie I slapped together. Yes, it's rough, but it gets across the sentiment.

(also, imove 3 was unusable on my iBook 500, so it was awesome to be able to use it so smoothly!)

http://homepage.mac.com/macbrucecordell/iMovieTheater8.html

Hello Mac community, I couldn't stay in silence any longer. Maclicious, kudos to that "rough" movie. I have been having a breathtaking time watching all of you get your machines, describing the first emotions like Chuck and his new born Chloe (she a beauty chuck, congrats again;) ). HBK has amused me much, I only say this because I feel the same way. I have spent hours upon hours looking for the newest post and the new discoveries with the 17"er. I have never owned a MAC and have always been using PEECEE. No fun whatsoever. I finally decided to make the plunge when they introduced the 15"TiBook 1Ghz, but by the next following week they introduced the 17". I had a major rise in my Levi's. WOOOOW!!:eek: So I immediately had the first order cancelled to reorder the 17". The other reason for coming out of the wood works is because I remember someone stating that those who are getting any machines through any sort of "Employee Discount" would inevitably be getting there's dead last. Even worst that they were not shipping in heavy quantities. It really left a bad taste in my mouth. Delayed shipment and last person to probably get a machine. It made me think that I should have stuck with the original order. So I figured now I would never get one until end of April maybe May:( . Well to my surprise I got "My special" email stating that there is a Powerbook awaiting to be picked up at the warehouse here in Toronto. Ummmm I'm not sure which machine to be it will be to be honest, but I guess I shall find out soon. I have sung praises about these laptops and Apples ability to be so easy to learn and use, that not having a machine to prove it made me look....well, silly, to say the least. Well I wanted to share this only wih those who would undertsand. Sorry about the long post. I will let you know what the outcome is. Enjoy your machines for the ones who have recieved it and for thos ewho don't have their's yet (hopefully) the wait won't be too long.

Cheers.

Chuck
Mar 19, 2003, 08:47 PM
Great post DW, I'll be sure to post a pic of my two 'babies' sitting side by side when mine arrives...

Chuck.

Heart Break Kid
Mar 19, 2003, 08:49 PM
well
i have a few words of advice to you bud

in the wonderful words of K.C and the Sunshine band

Do a little dance, make a little love and get downtonight.

Another person has got their Powerbook! FINALLY! Im in the same boat as you. The last Mac ive owned was 12 years ago..and funny thing is, it doesnt crash nearly as my dell running XP. Granted with a hardrive of 256 mb, and no cd-rom...running an os that i dont even know...it doesnt do much thatd cause it to show that little bomb thingy.

but its hard to preach the virtues of a mac, when i dont have my mac here yet! oye. ahh well...any1 who tells me a peecee is better..or their dell laptop is the greatest...i just run over to www.apple.com/powerbook and show them that video stevo-jobs showed at MWSF. needless to say, they struggly to cover thier 'levis' after watching it.

ahh, how i long for the day that i dont have to turn to the net to show them why a mac is better. i can just pull it out of the brenthaven case :D. im actually messing around with the case right now. this is thing is insane. goregous little backpack. and it doesnt even look like a computer case :)

ok..no more plugs for brenthaven..:) for now anyway.

Heart Break Kid
Mar 19, 2003, 08:51 PM
oh

just a little side note

is this like one of hte longest threads or what?

Chuck
Mar 19, 2003, 08:53 PM
HBK... It has to be asked...

Where are our pics?

;)

Chuck.

D.W
Mar 19, 2003, 08:55 PM
Chuck : I will definitely look out for those pics.

HBK : Indeed this is one of the longest posts that actually has sentimental meaning. I believe you have a tread with some 400+ posts the last time I looked. I see your in T.O as well, where abouts might that be?? You see if I am fortunate to get mine B4 you and your not to far away maybe I could be a good MacRumors friend and let you....see it and touch it in person??

P.S. Where is ubergeek?? I haven't seen of here since these new emails.

Heart Break Kid
Mar 19, 2003, 08:55 PM
dont rub it in chuck

or ill start calling you chucky and make horrible references to a cheap 80's slasher movie of a doll coming to life. ;)

Jeffx342
Mar 19, 2003, 08:56 PM
haha I think it is the longest thread.
I cant wait to get mine it says its already been shipped today 3/19 , now how long will it take to get here??? its in Tawiann right now

to excited need answers NOW!

iJon
Mar 19, 2003, 08:56 PM
oh

just a little side note

im glad my thread is getting lots of attention, although that algore thread is getting pretty big, look at the funny picture thread.

iJon

Heart Break Kid
Mar 19, 2003, 08:58 PM
D.W

that would be great...if i could. but im doing my undergrad at emory univ. in atlanta ga.

but the next time im back in the "t-dot" will be in may. and hopefully by that time i'll have my own. :D

i lived near bloor and younge (charles st.) until i was 9 and hten moved to markham , and lived thier since. what about you? hey..important question...how are the leafs doing? i hear we got gilmore back. :D like the good ol days.

iJon
Mar 19, 2003, 08:59 PM
also guys, my picture of the keyboard was at full glow and in a completly dark place. i thought maybe the picture would be ok to post.

iJon

daedelgt
Mar 19, 2003, 09:01 PM
Is the glow enough to make out which keys are which?

Heart Break Kid
Mar 19, 2003, 09:01 PM
lol

we should have a chat room setup
yahoo-chat has a chat room dedicated to mac lovers
we ought to get one setup for 17" powerbook owners :D

atleast chatting'll be in real time

hey chuck - hows chloe? man...daddyhood must be scary.. just think...by the time the 970's come out, she'll already be ready to date and then get married...uh ohh..

daedelgt
Mar 19, 2003, 09:02 PM
nm, it looks like it definately is...

is it blue or white in color?

D.W
Mar 19, 2003, 09:02 PM
No problem, just thought I would share the cheer. As for the Leafs I will make it short as this is the wrong thread to discuss hockey, but "Yes" we did reaquired Gilmour and "lost" him the first night he went on the ice. I can't even believe it. Looks like he might be out for the rest of the season. I will leave it at that.

Chuck
Mar 19, 2003, 09:04 PM
Chucky.... :mad:

HBK, I completely misread your post.
Thought you had received your PB...

I'll try not to speed read so much.

Chuck.

Heart Break Kid
Mar 19, 2003, 09:06 PM
hahaha
i knew the chucky bit would get to ya :D

i still got a ways wait
im guessing another 2 weeks before
but then again 2 weeks is trump change considering most of us waited 3 months atleast

;)
i promise no more chucky references

Chuck
Mar 19, 2003, 09:07 PM
hey chuck - hows chloe? man...daddyhood must be scary.. just think...by the time the 970's come out, she'll already be ready to date and then get married...uh ohh..

That's one part of life I'm not looking forward to! Funny how we say to ourselves as kids "I'll never be like that" and then end up just 'like that'!

Chuck.

Heart Break Kid
Mar 19, 2003, 09:09 PM
hahahah
thats a good one chuck
ive always said the following

if its a girl - she can date when shes 34. not a day before. why 34? cuz its a nice distant number

if its a boy - he better be dating by 16...or he might be broken

i love double standards

iJon
Mar 19, 2003, 09:16 PM
the keys couldnt be more clear, perfect if you live in a cave. the keys are a green glow.

iJon

beatle888
Mar 19, 2003, 11:03 PM
the keys couldnt be more clear, perfect if you live in a cave. the keys are a green glow.

iJon

GREEN? i thought it was a blue glow.

iJon
Mar 19, 2003, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by beatle888
seemed green to me, have someone on the site double check who has theres with them, if not ill loook tomorrow morning.

iJon

Over Achiever
Mar 19, 2003, 11:26 PM
Have you seen the geek thread? Longest thread I've seen, and full of spam.

I'm too lazy to link you to the thread...y'all do a search for it. :)

Over Achiever
Mar 19, 2003, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by beatle888
lol...and i thought it was white. :)

b-smooth
Mar 19, 2003, 11:43 PM
How can it be green? If you go to the website for the powerbook you'll see a litle animation video of the keyboard lighting up when it gets dark. It's blue at www.apple.com/powerbook! MINE BETTER BE BLUE; but I won't complain either way. When will it come? My OOB is 4.17

iJon
Mar 19, 2003, 11:52 PM
How can it be green? If you go to the website for the powerbook you'll see a litle animation video of the keyboard lighting up when it gets dark. It's blue at www.apple.com/powerbook! MINE BETTER BE BLUE; but I won't complain either way. When will it come? My OOB is 4.17
calm down, ill check tomorrow, im not very confident on any color i say, ill just have to look for my self.

iJon

daedelgt
Mar 19, 2003, 11:54 PM
PBG4 17.0/1GHZ/1024/60G/SD/AP/BT/LL

Est. Ship 04/01/2003

on or before... on or before... less than 10 days until it ships :cool:

beatle888
Mar 20, 2003, 01:02 AM
im sure theres gonna be a mod out anyway when it comes to the backlit keyboard light color. so many matrix fans would love green.

FlashBIOS
Mar 20, 2003, 01:08 AM
As I am catching up on this thread by reading while in bed with the lights off and the 17" in hand I can say with confidence that the key color is white. Although I must admit it did look blue in Apple's movie.

My wife feels this computer has already paid off. This is the first time in a looong while that I've gone to bed the same time she has. ;)

beatle888
Mar 20, 2003, 01:11 AM
damn. well thats still cool...super cool :D

iJon
Mar 20, 2003, 01:20 AM
As I am catching up on this thread by reading while in bed with the lights off and the 17" in hand I can say with confidence that the key color is white. Although I must admit it did look blue in Apple's movie.

My wife feels this computer has already paid off. This is the first time in a looong while that I've gone to bed the same time she has. ;)
you hear that boys, start sleeping on the couch until your wife buys you a powerbook so you will come back to bed.

iJon

FlashBIOS
Mar 20, 2003, 01:52 AM
I'll vouch for that plan's effectiveness to anyone who needs the help. :D

t^3
Mar 20, 2003, 03:39 AM
Just curious, but can you turn the keyboard lighting off?

t^3
Mar 20, 2003, 03:40 AM

cubist
Mar 20, 2003, 08:42 AM
Thanks for the pix guys. That is one beautiful computer. (sigh) If it has the solid, precision feel that the 12" has, unlike the wobbly delicate feel of the TiBook, (sigh)...

Heart Break Kid
Mar 20, 2003, 08:59 AM
so anymore information available? hows the battery life lookin? are the speakers better then other laptops? any one care to do a detail review of it?

Over Achiever
Mar 20, 2003, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by t^3
It's one of the function keys, I'm looking up which right now in the manual (I don't have the pb yet)

Aha, found it.
F8 = backlit keyboard off
F9 = Backlit keyboard dimmer
F10 = Backlit keyboard brighter

FlamDrag
Mar 20, 2003, 09:33 AM
The keyboard is white with a VERY slight hint of blue. So much that I hesitate to meniton it. It's more of a daylight white than a tungstun white. It is NOT the color that it was in the commercial.

The keyboard backlight is completely adjustable just like the volume. Little f-keys for brighter, darker and off.

I spent last night re-charging after my full run-down of the battery. No 'real world' tests yet really. iTunes ripped at up to 10.2x while I was watching.

Also on the keyboard is an eject key - very nice and handy.

DVD's looked OK. not great - but OK. They put a free blank DVD-R in with the powerbook - pretty cool of them.

No more problems with my SuperDrive. I still love this machine as much as I did yesterday.

The thing that really screws with me is the apple logo. On the pismo it was the other direction so I keep setting my PB17 down the wrong direction.

The speakers are the best *I've* heard on a notebook. I haven't heard all that many though. There is more bass than most, but the really low end isn't there. You'll still need external speakers but these would get you by in a pinch.

Final Cut express looks great on here. The amount of room for my pallets and such is great. The timeline is HUGE - ahhhhhhhh.

This is the perfect size laptop for me. I'm SO glad that I didn't cancel and just get a 15. This is simply stunning. I can certainly see how it's too big for some. Not me - this is what I've always 'needed' for my portable computing.

One thing I noticed after folding for a loooong time is that the heat dissipation is reallly really nice. It was a little hot sitting on my desk and I lifted it up and voila - heat was gone almost instantly. I'm really thinking about some sort of 'prop' for it. to aid airflow.

I think that the fan does have two stages. Stage two is still very very quiet. It shouldn't keep anyone awake. Everyone should sleep like a... well... Chloe!

I'm also keeping the little piece of foam stuff that covered the keyboard when it came out of the box so that I can keep the keys off the screen for sure.

Maybe I wouldn't be as impressed if I hadn't been working on a Pismo for 3 years - the speed difference is unbeleiveable - but this machine is the best.

FlashBIOS
Mar 20, 2003, 09:51 AM
so anymore information available? hows the battery life lookin?

I've just begun to do the first of my battery tests. I've downloaded a utility called X-Charge that logs battery related events to give me a good idea of what is going on. Last night I conditioned the battery.

I've also ran a number of benchmark utilities. I'll publish the results soon.

Grimace
Mar 20, 2003, 12:00 PM
The screen space is so luscious. I can control MIDI sequencers and write in Sibelius at the same time with ease. The heat problem that has been mentioned of other PBs is not really an issue. The top doesn't really get 'hot', more so on the bottom. Lifting it up for three seconds takes care of that quickly. A huge $ investment, but definitely worth it.

t^3
Mar 20, 2003, 12:06 PM
Anybody tried out AirPort reception? Someone on MacFixIt said that it was worse than the Ti's.

FlashBIOS
Mar 20, 2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by t^3
Anybody tried out AirPort reception? Someone on MacFixIt said that it was worse than the Ti's.

It is better than the Gateway that I was using at work. In fact, I was quite happy with it. I didn't ever have full signal strength, but I was never less than one bar down. The Gateway that I used couldn't even get a signal in one of the rooms, and was low in the other.

I work at a large college campus with cinderblock walls. The access points are made by Cisco (I believe) and 802.11b hidden in the suspended ceilings. I do not know where they are in relation to the rooms I was in, but like I said I had major problems with the Gateway and the 17" was a dream.

FlashBIOS
Mar 20, 2003, 12:39 PM
Here are the informal benchmarks I've received from a number of benchmark utilities. The 17" PowerBook that the tests were run on has 512 MB of RAM and standard screen resolution with millions of colors.

I did not make any attempt to configure the machine in such a way to boost the results -- so they should reflect a normal machine's configuration. They were ran after a boot, and with no other applications running.

(I must stress again, these are very informal)

CINEBENCH 2003 v1
Rendering (Single CPU): 87 CB-CPU
Shading (CINEMA 4D): 116 CB-GFX
Shading (OpenGL Software Lighting): 318 CB-GFX
Shading (OpenGL Hardware Lighting): 163 CB-GFX
OpenGL Speedup: 2.73
SPEEDRUN
Graphics 297
Harddrive 534
Processor 268
RAM 525
Overall 406
COCOABENCH 1.2
Number Chrunching: 16.59
Image Processing: 21.01
File I/O: 8.45
Overall: 15.66
XBENCH 1.0
Results: 95.07 (with disk tests)
Results: 105.06 (without disk tests)

Heart Break Kid
Mar 20, 2003, 12:47 PM
i have no idea what those numbers mean
higher better? lower better? how does it compare with a peecee laptop?

FlashBIOS
Mar 20, 2003, 01:09 PM
i have no idea what those numbers mean
higher better? lower better? how does it compare with a peecee laptop?

I don't know what they all mean either. ;) But looking at the results of other computers the machine performs very similarly to a 1Ghz desktop.

You can find an Xbench comparison site here: http://ladd.dyndns.org/xbench/

Xbench appears to be the current favorite for performing benchmarks.

For SpeedRun a 446 is a Dual 1 Ghz and 405 is a single 1 Ghz. A 395 is a 1 Ghz TiBook.

For CocoaBench (URL (http://www.bitcom.ch/products-cocoabench-e.html) ) a Dual 1 Ghz scores 19.7 and 800 Mhz PowerBook scores 13.9

I wasn't able to find CineBench results (anyone?). But that benchmarker is cross-platform.

MHorovitz
Mar 20, 2003, 01:56 PM
FlamDrag,

What is that green bag that your 17" PB sits in in the photos you posted? It doesn't come with the PB, does it?

Over Achiever
Mar 20, 2003, 02:28 PM
Well folks I have my powerbook. Speed is decent. Heat ... area under left wrist is warm...I've been running folding. Battery life, not bad, about 3 hours normal, 1.5 hours w/ folding (100% CPU) running.

Any questions?

Chuck
Mar 20, 2003, 02:31 PM
This is probably a silly question but what is this 'folding' and how come everyone is doing it?

Chuck.

JonnieK
Mar 20, 2003, 02:33 PM
What about the screen? Sharpness? Clearness? etc.

Over Achiever
Mar 20, 2003, 02:49 PM
Folding: folding.stanford.edu
It's sorta like SETI, but it actually gets real results. I like it, its uses my CPUs unused cycles. The fan just turned on for only a minute...and it's not too loud.

Screen: I'm a bit disappointed in the brightness, but the horizontal viewing angle is good. Vertical viewing angle...so-so. Clarity, sharpness...good I guess. :)

FlamDrag
Mar 20, 2003, 02:50 PM
Screen is great - clear - sharp - bright - the works.

The bag is from Timbuk2.com - no it didn't come with it, but it fits like a glove. I'd reccommend it. Five-O blue is a nicer color though.

Folding refers to the folding at home project (http://folding.stanford.edu) at Stanford. It helps find cures for protein related diseases using spare computer cycles - aka distributed computing.