PDA

View Full Version : Apple WWDC 2006 Keynote Stream

MacRumors
Aug 7, 2006, 03:53 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Today, Steve Jobs gave the 2006 WWDC Keynote speech and introduced Mac Pros (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/08/20060807144713.shtml), Intel Xserves (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/08/20060807150004.shtml), Display Price Drops (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/08/20060807151847.shtml), and previewed Leopard (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/08/20060807161421.shtml).

Apple has already posted the Quicktime stream (http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/aug_2006/event/index.html) for the event.

MacRumors covered the event live, and a transcript of the coverage is provided here (http://www.macrumors.com/events/wwdc2006.html). Stay tuned for a rumor wrapup and more details from WWDC.

Me1000
Aug 7, 2006, 03:57 PM
does anyone else have trouble with sound on this stream??

and for some reason the MR forums are screwed up right now!

hob
Aug 7, 2006, 03:58 PM
damnit! i'm already 10 minutes in...

the performance suddenly chugged up, i checked here... surprise surprise MR posted it...

nevermind :p

not noticed either of those!!

Tanglewood
Aug 7, 2006, 04:04 PM
I'll have to wait until I get home tonight to watch. My computer at work hates quicktime (HP :rolleyes: ).

crazedbytheheat
Anyone know how to download instead of stream? It keeps locking up on me!!

sam10685

yeah, i do... that's 'cause there's like 800 billion people trying to watch it. give it several hours.

thl
Aug 7, 2006, 04:10 PM
it's indeed difficult to see... anyone knows how to DL?

And how great is the news about the pricedrops of the ACD, i am just thrilled about it:D :D

ipacmm
Aug 7, 2006, 04:11 PM
I am going to wait until tomorrow to watch it because right now the server is all backed up.

jacobj
Aug 7, 2006, 04:11 PM
Steve Jobs looks ill.. I am worried about him.

rye9
Aug 7, 2006, 04:12 PM
all good on mine.. im watching it right now.. alhtough i know everything that happened already :p

LaMerVipere
Aug 7, 2006, 04:14 PM
About 8 minutes in it gets all choppy for me and then just stops.

Guess I'll watch it later tonight. :)

w_parietti22
Aug 7, 2006, 04:18 PM
HAHA... the Im a PC part is great!

MacSlut
Aug 7, 2006, 04:19 PM
Audio podcast started before the keynote was finished:
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=175086566

Or:
http://podtech.net/apple

Chacala_Nayarit
Aug 7, 2006, 04:21 PM
Anyone know how to download instead of stream? It keeps locking up on me!!

QuickTime Pro.

bdkennedy1
Aug 7, 2006, 04:23 PM
QuickTime Pro.
How nice of you, now can you maybe please tell us who have Pro how to download it?

jsw
Aug 7, 2006, 04:28 PM
How nice of you, now can you maybe please tell us who have Pro how to download it?
Yes. I'd be very interested in seeing how his version of Pro allows you to download streams, whereas mine doesn't. :rolleyes:

aviationwiz
Aug 7, 2006, 04:32 PM
I'd also love to know how to download it to my computer (I've got QT Pro), or a URL to download it from.

Microdot
Aug 7, 2006, 04:32 PM
chacala is obviously mistaken, or a drooler. one of the two.

pro has no capture features on streaming.

so far, im in the same boat. i think the stream is accessible in quicktimes cache through the terminal, but i havent bothered trying to get it all to check.

jfinke
Aug 7, 2006, 04:33 PM
It is definately lagging now. I am sure that digg and slashdot are linked to it as well.

age234
Aug 7, 2006, 04:36 PM
Yeah, he looks really thin.

My stream went kaputt after 22 minutes of perfection...wish I'd skipped ahead to the OS X part...

colinp
Aug 7, 2006, 04:37 PM
Heh, got through thirty minutes before too many people killed my connection :cool:

I agree that SJ continues to look pretty sickly. Reminded me of Freddie Mercury. Not trying to raise any questions, I'm just saying....

Flowbee
Aug 7, 2006, 04:38 PM

He seems to be grooming others to step up as Keynote presenters should he be unable to do them in the future. He's sharing the stage much more than he used to.

iGary
Aug 7, 2006, 04:39 PM
Phil Schiller is such a bad presenter.

And yes, you are seeing a transfer of power here - whether Steve is sick only he knows I guess.

ATG
Aug 7, 2006, 04:41 PM
Not working at all for me. I just opened it and it hasn't even got past the quicktime logo.

MacsRgr8
Aug 7, 2006, 04:41 PM
QuickTime Pro.

Nope.

This is a stream that can not be downloaded (using normal software, that is...)

Fiveos22
Aug 7, 2006, 04:42 PM
Could someone torrent the file after they've downloaded it...I would be much appreciative, and could seed it for a day or so.

Applespider
Aug 7, 2006, 04:43 PM

And yes, you are seeing a transfer of power here - whether Steve is sick only he knows I guess.

I thought he was looking better than he did in Jan; certainly hope so!

And yes, just as Phil was finishing, my Powerbook slowed down the stream to virtually nothing and then panicked somewhat messily with code streaming.

Chrispy
I hope Steve is ok. I have to admit I'm slightly dissapointed that none of the portables or the iMac (not that surpised about the iMac) got an update. I thought for sure the MacBook Pro would see something. Oh well, silent update time now I guess.

MacsRgr8

Got me worried too.
Phil had to go on stage for the Mac Pro....? Bertrand for the Vista bashing? The other guy for the Leopard demo?

Is Steve too ill or tired to do the whole keynote by himself, or does he want to put others forward.... dunno. Worrying, IMHO. :(

Lau
Aug 7, 2006, 04:44 PM
I hate streaming video. :mad:

Will download this later, maybe and if not, i don't think I'll bother. :(

simie
Aug 7, 2006, 04:45 PM
Here is the address of the stream (Real-Time Streaming Protocol files can be saved under windows easily)

rtsp://a2047.v1412b.c1412.g.vq.akamaistream.net/5/2047/1412/1_h264_350/1a1a1ae555c531960166df4dbc3095c327960d7be756b71b49aa1576e344addb3ead1a497aaedf11/wwdc_2006_1_350.mp4

Possible solution for downloading it may be found here.

http://maisonbisson.com/blog/post/10518/

sam10685
Aug 7, 2006, 04:45 PM
Yes. I'd be very interested in seeing how his version of Pro allows you to download streams, whereas mine doesn't. :rolleyes:

get ready... this is a hard one. CTRL-Click the picture. there will be a download option if you have quicktime pro.

iGary
Aug 7, 2006, 04:47 PM
get ready... this is a hard one. CTRL-Click the picture. there will be a download option if you have quicktime pro.

Yeah, download the URL.

Thanks, expert. ;)

Lau
Aug 7, 2006, 04:48 PM

I have Quicktime Pro.

Which one of

Play
Stop
-------
Undo
Redo
-------
Cut
Copy
Paste
-------
Select All
Select None

downloads the movie? :confused:

FF_productions
Aug 7, 2006, 04:51 PM
It's going so slow, i'm 46 minutes through it but it has timed out a million times.

I wonder how many people are watching this keynote right now...

FF_productions
I have Quicktime Pro.

Which one of

Play
Stop
-------
Undo
Redo
-------
Cut
Copy
Paste
-------
Select All
Select None

downloads the movie? :confused:

YOU CAN"T DOWNLOAD THE KEYNOTE

vniow
Camille (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=222245) will (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=222244) certainly (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=222247) be (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=222306) happy. (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=222562)

Thataboy
Someone should be a pal and youtube it for those of us stuck on quicktime-less computers for the night :(

mhuk01
Aug 7, 2006, 04:53 PM
Someone should be a pal and youtube it for those of us stuck on quicktime-less computers for the night :(

i'll second that

MacsRgr8
Aug 7, 2006, 04:54 PM
LOL!!

No QuickTime Pro will download his stream.
The idea of this stream is that the part you have just played will be erased form your HD, and will be buffered what you are just about going to see (if there is enough bandwidth left... which usually is HUGE problem within the first couple of hours of the post).

Those who do get to download it, usually find some cool way to keep the cache all on HD without it being erased. Some clever software is used most of the time.

You'll find torrents of the whole Keynote somewhere tomorrow on the 'net... ;)

ATG
Aug 7, 2006, 04:55 PM
i'll second that
I third that :)

My feed has been stuck on the QT logo for over 20 mins now. Is it completely dead for other people too?

Lau
Aug 7, 2006, 04:57 PM

:rolleyes:

I know. But sam10685, amogst others, seems to think that QT Pro users can...

mdntcallr
Aug 7, 2006, 04:59 PM
I was watching till about 20 mins in, it got unwatchable and then clunked out. i have my own dedicated cable modem. so lame.

cmon apple, if you can't manage streaming some of your own stuff, how do you expect others to use quicktime?

iGary
Aug 7, 2006, 05:01 PM
:rolleyes:

I know. But sam10685, amogst others, seems to think that QT Pro users can...

I think sam10685 is changing his username as we speak. :D

nsjoker
Aug 7, 2006, 05:02 PM
hate to say it, but he probably is ill :(
he's been looking this way for a while now :(

MacsRgr8
Aug 7, 2006, 05:02 PM
Most people have the same problem....

It would be nice if Apple could post a maximum of "streamers".
Something like: "Not enough bandwidth left. Please try later." Then those lucky ones who are watching can finish watching it in peace. :)

FF_productions
Aug 7, 2006, 05:03 PM
I was watching till about 20 mins in, it got unwatchable and then clunked out. i have my own dedicated cable modem. so lame.

cmon apple, if you can't manage streaming some of your own stuff, how do you expect others to use quicktime?

Very surprising considering last time they were able to hold up very well..

I forgot what the stats were but it was pretty impressive.

The videos must be on some Servers running on Intel..

vniow
Aug 7, 2006, 05:10 PM
If you have the command line version of Mplayer, perhaps try this in Terminal:

% mplayer -dumpfile wwdc_keynote_2006 -dumpstream rtsp://a2047.v1412b.c1412.g.vq.akamaistream.net/5/2047/1412/1_h264_350/1a1a1ae555c531960166df4dbc3095c327960d7be756b71b49aa1576e344addb3ead1a497aaedf11/wwdc_2006_1_350.mp4

Altenatively you could try to use VLC and its transcoding wizard.

I don't have access to either of these presently so someone else is going to have to test it...

Edit: I'm testing the VLC option now...and it just crashed. :(

odedia
Aug 7, 2006, 05:20 PM

Yes you can.

But you'll need a PC for it. And HiDownload.

MacsRgr8
Aug 7, 2006, 05:27 PM
Yes you can.

But you'll need a PC for it. And HiDownload.

Trying as we speak! (tnx to VPC 7).. on a real Quad!! :cool: :D

Cheers mate!

odedia
Aug 7, 2006, 05:27 PM
I gotta ask:

What ever happened to "One More Thing"?

This keynote was kinda sad in a few ways, don't you think? I hope Apple is saving the coolest features still hidden at this point, like Steve pointet out... And Steve does look a bit ill...

Oded S.

bdkennedy1
Aug 7, 2006, 05:30 PM
What I'm doing is I used QT Pro and did File/Export and save as a Quicktime Movie. This way, it saves the file as it downloads and I can watch it tonight without the lag and jerkiness.

Kane.Elson
Aug 7, 2006, 05:31 PM
I just read the text transcript. I was sadly dissapointed that nothing I wanted got announced.
Even the things that I didn't really care about but would have been ultra cool to be mentioned didn't :(

MacsRgr8
Aug 7, 2006, 05:32 PM
"One more thing..." is (and should) only be used when Steve announces something very cool, and which would also be come kind of surprise.

Let's be honest.... the Mac Pro was not a surprise. Ok, the all-Quad config was, but the computer itself was not worth the "One more thing..." entrance, like the intro of the G5 in 2003 was.

Maybe a 42" Cinema Display, or Conroe iMac or Merom MacBook Pro could have been one...

LimeiBook86
Aug 7, 2006, 05:36 PM
Yeah the Keynote is down for me, it was very slow and choppy before, I got this message:

http://homepage.mac.com/ibook238/.Pictures/wwdc06-stream-down.png

Oh well, I can wait...for now :p :D

john7jr
Aug 7, 2006, 05:36 PM
What I'm doing is I used QT Pro and did File/Export and save as a Quicktime Movie. This way, it saves the file as it downloads and I can watch it tonight without the lag and jerkiness.

If you get that to work, PutFile it or something....

TwitchOSX
Aug 7, 2006, 05:37 PM
I need to figure out how to d/l it. I dont have internet at home yet and I would like to d/l it here at work and play it at home tonight.. anybody know how?

rdowns
Aug 7, 2006, 05:43 PM
Just finished it with only a few hiccups.

Was disappointed in following the keynote via MR. Seeing the demos has me a bit excited now.

New iChat features look very cool and I don't chat.

Web Clip is very cool. I see uses for it at work already. Wish I used a Mac full time at work.

Spaces seems to be a very convenient way to get rid of clutter.

New Mail features might get me to finally adopt it and lose Entourage.

Time Machine was very cool.

Spotlight looks to be what we all wanted all along.

Oh well, we'll have to wait until Spring.

retrospek
Aug 7, 2006, 06:00 PM
I've just watched the keynote video and Steve does look really ill to me..

He also didn't seem as prepared for the presentation as normal as he had to keep reading his notes.

Hope I'm wrong though..

amateurmacfreak
Aug 7, 2006, 06:09 PM
I need to figure out how to d/l it. I dont have internet at home yet and I would like to d/l it here at work and play it at home tonight.. anybody know how?
Try reading the posts above yours??

AJ Muni
Aug 7, 2006, 06:09 PM
Phil needs to diet.

Leondunkleyc
Aug 7, 2006, 06:14 PM

bigandy
Aug 7, 2006, 06:27 PM
i'm not even going to try watching it until this time tomorrow. pointless. :rolleyes:

CANEHDN
Aug 7, 2006, 06:29 PM
It's probably because everyone is trying to watch it at the same time. I bet it would be better tomorrow. I was able to deal with the sound being off a bit. I can't wait to see what other features they will be including.

me_94501
Aug 7, 2006, 06:36 PM
I third that :)

My feed has been stuck on the QT logo for over 20 mins now. Is it completely dead for other people too?
Yes. But I've been having streaming trouble for a couple months now.

DJMastaWes
Aug 7, 2006, 06:38 PM
I've just watched the keynote video and Steve does look really ill to me..

He also didn't seem as prepared for the presentation as normal as he had to keep reading his notes.

Hope I'm wrong though..
I could not watch the whole thing due to it stopping.. but I saw 30 mins, and he only spoke for like 5 minutes, the rest was left to the other 3 people...Why ?

Villafan
Aug 7, 2006, 06:41 PM
Remember that Steve had that brush with a "rare form" of pancreatic cancer 2 years ago. The 5 year survival rate for the more common form of pancreatic cancer is less than 5%. :(

Jeffrey903
Aug 7, 2006, 06:53 PM
I would bet that someone would be willing to give Steve their pancreas. After all, he is Steve Jobs.

the.snitch
Aug 7, 2006, 06:54 PM
Stream worked well for me - h.264 goodness all the way through - although it did stop a few times, pausing and restarting fixed that.

I changed my homepage to the Apple events last night, and forced myself not to look at any other web pages before I watched the whole stream. It would be like watching "the making of" a movie before watching the actual thing.
The surprises were much more exciting to watch the stream first :)
I'm actually really happy with what we saw, and that guy "Scott" who shared the feature demos with Steve was a very good speaker and presenter - perhaps Steve's sucessor? :cool:

nsjoker
Aug 7, 2006, 06:54 PM
you would think by now they would have mastered the high demand keynote stream, but no, you'd be wrong. :rolleyes:

aswitcher
Aug 7, 2006, 06:57 PM
this should either be available on ITMSfor free or put out as an H264 torrent. :(

realityisterror
Aug 7, 2006, 06:58 PM
...that guy "Scott" who shared the feature demos with Steve was a very good speaker and presenter - perhaps Steve's sucessor? :cool:

How dare you suggest such a horrid thing :eek:

But now that I think about it, I'll probably see Steve's death on CNN sometime in my lifetime. But let's at least hope he'll have a chance to retire first.

kjs862
Anyone know the chat server for macrumors?

Tomaz
it's about time to include torrent technology into Quicktime, that would be a feature !

Snide
Aug 7, 2006, 07:04 PM
The torrented MPEG-4 or H264 saved movies of the Keynotes that I have seen were captured using
screenshot-apps such as Snapz Pro. They usually weigh-in at approx. 160 MB for 90 minutes.

It usually takes a couple days for these to appear on Bit Torrent networks;
presumably the person doing the recording must wait for the stream traffic to
die down enough to get a clean, uninterrupted stream to work with.

At least that's my understanding of it...:cool:

Jeffrey903
Aug 7, 2006, 07:12 PM
I'm currently downloading this using HiDownload. Its going at about 7k/s though (I'm not sure if it's kilobits or bytes - I think bytes). I have just over 7MB downloaded. It's going to take a while. I believe that this is 350kb/s, and the video is 1 hour and 25 minutes, which is 5100 seconds. That means 1,785,000 kilobits, or 218MB.

BTW - I've never used HiDownload before so I'm not sure how it will turn out. If I do get it successfully downloaded, I will make a torrent of it and also put it up on Youtube.

Tomaz
Aug 7, 2006, 07:15 PM
The torrented MPEG-4 or H264 saved movies of the Keynotes that I have seen were captured using
screenshot-apps such as Snapz Pro. They usually weigh-in at approx. 160 MB for 90 minutes.

It usually takes a couple days for these to appear on Bit Torrent networks;
presumably the person doing the recording must wait for the stream traffic to
die down enough to get a clean, uninterrupted stream to work with.

At least that's my understanding of it...:cool:

In case you're answering to my previous post, I meant torrent tech directly in quicktime so that you don't connect just to Apple but also to everyone else watching the same movie at the same time. I used a program like that to watch the World Cup Games (streamed TV signal using torrent technology) and even for watching the finale the performance was amazing, we even watched it ona beamer!

Toadstool
Aug 7, 2006, 07:19 PM
I'm currently downloading this using HiDownload. Its going at about 7k/s though (I'm not sure if it's kilobits or bytes - I think bytes). I have just over 7MB downloaded. It's going to take a while. I believe that this is 350kb/s, and the video is 1 hour and 25 minutes, which is 5100 seconds. That means 1,785,000 kilobits, or 218MB.

BTW - I've never used HiDownload before so I'm not sure how it will turn out. If I do get it successfully downloaded, I will make a torrent of it and also put it up on Youtube.

I downloaded it using HiDownload but it just kept going past the marker. Finally I hit stop, but I'm left with an invalid file.

Snide
Aug 7, 2006, 07:26 PM
In case you're answering to my previous post, I meant torrent tech directly in quicktime so that you don't connect just to Apple but also to everyone else watching the same movie at the same time. I used a program like that to watch the World Cup Games (streamed TV signal using torrent technology) and even for watching the finale the performance was amazing, we even watched it ona beamer!

Actually, I was just putting that out there for people looking for a torrent of it.

What program was that you used to torrent streamed TV? Sounds interesting!

the.snitch
Aug 7, 2006, 07:28 PM
I downloaded it using HiDownload but it just kept going past the marker. Finally I hit stop, but I'm left with an invalid file.

I've tried many-a-time to download the quicktime streams, with a large variety of mac and pc software. Every time it has left me stumped. I'f you really cant watch it (i.e demand is too high/you have a slow connection etc.) wait at least 3 days until most of the fans have watched it and showed their friends, set your quicktime preferences to a 128k/256k connection so you get a lower quality but faster stream, and watch it. It worked for me last WWDC and again in January.
Luckily this time im on a free uncapped DSL line at a Telecom wireless Hotspot in the Auckland CBD. Worked flawlessly :D

Tomaz
Aug 7, 2006, 07:32 PM
Actually, I was just putting that out there for people looking for a torrent of it.

What program was that you used to torrent streamed TV? Sounds interesting!

It actually was a PC programm (long live bootcamp), it's called TVUPlayer. Works really well. :)

ernestc
Aug 7, 2006, 07:37 PM
...Luckily this time im on a free uncapped DSL line at a Telecom wireless Hotspot in the Auckland CBD. Worked flawlessly :D

I usually Find telecoms wireless hotspots suck bandwidth wise.... Hmm wonder how man kiwi mac users there ar ein these forums....

iMikeT
Aug 7, 2006, 07:56 PM
I got to watch it. However, there were interruptions due to the high amount of web traffic.

What's wrong with Steve Jobs? He's gotten very skinny since MacWorld.

emmawu
Aug 7, 2006, 08:01 PM
I think Steve has been looking ill since the New York store opening. He did have pancreatic cancer a while back. My father had pancreatic cancer and had to have part of his stomach removed. Hope he's feeling okay.

silverblue3
Aug 7, 2006, 08:02 PM
Has anyone been able to put the stream on youtube? Will be a huge releif.

floatingspirit
Aug 7, 2006, 08:05 PM
Not working at all for me. I just opened it and it hasn't even got past the quicktime logo.

Ditto Ditto Ditto

jelloshotsrule
Aug 7, 2006, 08:12 PM
Just finished it with only a few hiccups.

Was disappointed in following the keynote via MR. Seeing the demos has me a bit excited now.

New iChat features look very cool and I don't chat.

Web Clip is very cool. I see uses for it at work already. Wish I used a Mac full time at work.

Spaces seems to be a very convenient way to get rid of clutter.

New Mail features might get me to finally adopt it and lose Entourage.

Time Machine was very cool.

Spotlight looks to be what we all wanted all along.

Oh well, we'll have to wait until Spring.

my aren't you the apple apologist today?

Jeffrey903
Aug 7, 2006, 08:16 PM
I think that for the first 24 hours that a new event video is up it should be for Mac users only. Maybe even require QuickTime Pro.

Either that or just get better servers and/or use bittorrent.

AtHomeBoy_2000
Aug 7, 2006, 08:19 PM

Where might I find these??? :)

arkmannj
Aug 7, 2006, 08:49 PM
Why don't they ust have the video for download????

I think we use more bandwidth trying, and trying, to see it, then if I could just spend 30 min downloding it.

pluss these would be great to show friends / fam with slow internet connections

rtdunham
Aug 7, 2006, 08:49 PM
you would think by now they would have mastered the high demand keynote stream, but no, you'd be wrong. :rolleyes:

I'm surprised that everyone casually excuses the failure to stream adequately, saying "but so many people are watching". Don't we criticize the phone company when it can't handle call volume that's expected, like around the holidays? Imagine if the movie you wanted to watch on cable tonight couldn't be viewed, because the cable company just couldn't serve all its customers. My point is, Apple's a computer company. More than that, it's one that promotes active multimedia use and consumption. Not being able to arrange sufficient servers for the necessary streams is an embarassment. Speaking as a shareholder, I don't like it.

Now, the suggestion that the talk should've been posted to the ITMS is insightful. Besides, how many of us would've paid $1.99 to see it NOW? I know i would have. Impulse buys are what fuel the itms, aren't they?

peace
terry

Ender at Eros
Aug 7, 2006, 09:05 PM
Nope.

This is a stream that can not be downloaded (using normal software, that is...)

you guys can use VLC to view the stream. it seems to work better than quicktime at viewing it! lol

here's a link to the stream

http://stream.qtv.apple.com/events/aug/wwdc_2006/m_wwdc_2006_350_ref.mov

Ptpiz
Aug 7, 2006, 09:16 PM
The Mac Pro is something that I have been waiting for since 4 years ago when I bought my first mac. I couldnt wait to upgrade and when I heard about the new intel desktop I couldnt wait. To celebrate, i introduce to you...

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y55/ptpiz/happywwdccookie.jpg

My HAPPY WWDC cookie/cake!

Enjoi!

nsjoker
Aug 7, 2006, 09:26 PM
The Mac Pro is something that I have been waiting for since 4 years ago when I bought my first mac. I couldnt wait to upgrade and when I heard about the new intel desktop I couldnt wait. To celebrate, i introduce to you...

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y55/ptpiz/happywwdccookie.jpg

My HAPPY WWDC cookie/cake!

Enjoi!

wow. you my friend are a true zealot.

Tech607
Aug 7, 2006, 09:44 PM
Some one who downloaded the keynote please give me a link so that i can download it from you to see. I do not think it will be availabe from Apple any time soon.

Thanks! Sorry I just saw the above thread. thanksssssssssssssssss!

BWhaler
Aug 7, 2006, 09:45 PM

I'm not going to speculate as to Steve's health. It's bad karma and I wish him perfect health for his family and friends, not for Apple and its customers.

I am responding to this post only to put some balance into the thinking here.

One thing everyone seems to be forgetting--or doesn't know--is that succession planning is very common in large companies, especially with "older" CEO'S.

A VERY likely scenario, regardless of Steve, is the board realized too much of Apple's identity was tied into one person. A good board would ensure that Apple will exist long after Steve's retirement. So, it is not surprising to see more of Apple's executive team being profiled.

Steve could be in perfect health and plan to stay at Apple for another decade or two. Today's performance on stage, changing Apple from a one-man-show to a show by a world class team of executives is simply smart business which will help ensure the longevity of Apple.

Now, I do acknowledge after Steve's scare, Steve and Apple's Board probably accelerated the succession planning process. This is simply smart business and the responsibility of the Board and CEO.

But what you saw today doesn't necessarily mean anything other than smart business. Sure, I could be wrong, and for the sake of Steve and his family I pray that I am not. But let's not be so quick to assume the very worst.

BWhaler
Aug 7, 2006, 09:52 PM

One other thought:

I absolutely agree that Phil was simply terrible. He was the only one on stage who needed to constantly look at the video prompts to get through his slides.

Sure, he had more technical slides to get through, but this is an Apple keynote. Memorize the slides Phil.

I am sure Phil is a great guy with lots of talent. But his attempts at emotion and energy just fell flat. Too many superficial superlatives, IMHO.

Phil needs a lot of coaching by a pro and more practice. Sure, Steve has done these for 20+ years, so it's not fair to compare the two. Nevertheless, Phil really needs to kick it up a notch. He needs to be more charismatic and more himself. Don't try to be Steve.

MyLeftNut
Aug 7, 2006, 09:55 PM
I agree Bwhaler,

Moreover, I have had a brush with serious illness and knowing that Steve would be doing as much as he can to ensure his health, I hope he is just being pedantic about his diet. Grazing diets as you might call them usually restrict calories in some form or another and this is part of a long term plan to give the body time to recover without being stressed. Even though he is vegetarian, it doesnt mean he should be eating Tacos and icecream...bad move.

Heres to hoping.

:cool:

kalisphoenix
Aug 7, 2006, 10:06 PM
Apple will be suffering without Steve. Everyone but, well, he and Wozniak seems to be terminally corporate. Jobs is a strange bastard, though. He gets the biggest laughs because he generally seems to be so damned humorless and hateful :P Charismatic, yes. Complicated, yes. But no one's ever accused him of being a pleasant man to be around.

And don't forget that this change has been a long curve. Can you imagine this Jobs sitting across the table from you with his bare feet on the table, saying "Are you a virgin? Have you ever dropped LSD?"

He's definitely unique, though, and he'll never be replaced. I hate to say it, especially since (as I've already said) I don't think I'd like him personally.... but when he's gone, I will really be surprised if Apple continues with this current brilliance.

Just.... no more Scullys, Steve. Get another shaman.

cfountain72
Aug 7, 2006, 10:10 PM
Obviously, a lot of others noticed what I did. I know Steve has a lot going on, what with running two companies and now being the biggest shareholder of a third, on top of being a cancer survivor. But I agree he did not look all that healthy today. I have been watching his Keynotes for several years, but between the ragged beard and his gaunt physique, he did not look well. He also relied on "help" today for a greater part of the presentation than is typical.
I'd like to hear your opinions, and hopefully you'll convince me I am wrong.

Thanks,
Chris

THX1139
Aug 7, 2006, 10:52 PM
Just because he's not chubby doesn't mean he's sick. I have friends who eat healthy and look very thin, and they are in excellent health. People are getting used to seeing fat people and when someone comes along that is not the norm, they assume the person is sick. Sure he's lost weight, but that doesn't mean there is something wrong. The loss of weight and his beard made him look "different" and people jumped to conclusions. Also, keep in mind that he's probably bust his ass over the last year with all of the transitions. You'd lose weight too... and forget to shave, if you had his schedule. ;)

kkastner
Aug 7, 2006, 11:46 PM
:)

nsjoker
Aug 8, 2006, 12:10 AM
w00t, keynote is streaming beautifully now. i <3 staying up.

Tab
Aug 8, 2006, 12:21 AM
SHH! Don't tell them that!

p0intblank
Aug 8, 2006, 12:21 AM
Jobs may be skinny, but he is also getting older... there's nothing out of the ordinary here. Sure he may be a God to some of us (myself included :p), but he is a normal person like you and me. He sounded better at this presentation than he did at the Mac mini and iPod Hi-Fi introductions. He's actually been skinnier for a while now, so I am sure everything is fine. If anything, I think his performance has been improving throughout the year. I'm confident in his health. :)

As for the other speakers... I have to agree about Phil. He seems like a great guy, but his speaking skills are no where near as great as Steve's. Who was the other guy besides Bertron (sp?)? I really liked his presentations. He kept me interested, especially during Time Machine.

waxwings
Aug 8, 2006, 01:14 AM
I'm worried about Steve. Let's not forget he recently had cancer, and cancer has a way of popping back up when you think you've beat it.

I hope he's okay.

nsjoker
Aug 8, 2006, 01:28 AM
Jobs may be skinny, but he is also getting older... there's nothing out of the ordinary here. Sure he may be a God to some of us (myself included :p), but he is a normal person like you and me. He sounded better at this presentation than he did at the Mac mini and iPod Hi-Fi introductions. He's actually been skinnier for a while now, so I am sure everything is fine. If anything, I think his performance has been improving throughout the year. I'm confident in his health. :)

As for the other speakers... I have to agree about Phil. He seems like a great guy, but his speaking skills are no where near as great as Steve's. Who was the other guy besides Bertron (sp?)? I really liked his presentations. He kept me interested, especially during Time Machine.

that would be scott forstall, vp of platform experience

THX1139
Aug 8, 2006, 01:37 AM

I just tried it and it sucks. I'm getting tired of hearing the introduction over and over and over .... every time I have to restart the player when it stalls. I was thinking that the server should be not getting as many hits... but I forgot about people on the other side of the world that are just waking up. :rolleyes:

daneoni
Aug 8, 2006, 01:45 AM
Its the next day here and the streaming server is still jammed up. True say about steve looking ill. Whats up?, he's lost weight and looks waaay older. I guess screaming at those Apple employees take a toll

LimeiBook86
Aug 8, 2006, 01:48 AM
Usually Apple doesn't have this much of a problem. Although I'm sure the "Digg Effect" from the submission of the link on Digg.com doesn't help us much either, or the growing population of Apple fans... :( :rolleyes:

Get off of my lawn! Those are my apples! :p

VanNess
Aug 8, 2006, 01:56 AM
Worst...streaming....ever....

And this is the company that supposedly will be handed the crown for online movie rentals and downloads?

This happens year after year. The day of the keynote (and sometimes days/weeks afterward) always sees enormous demand for the stream but they never allocate enough to handle it. You think that they would have figured it out by now, and they better pretty damn quick if they expect to stream movie rentals - reliably that is.

I have a 3 megabit DSL connection and this is what I'm getting. They get an F. Pathetic.

daneoni
Aug 8, 2006, 02:01 AM

And this is the company that supposedly will be handed the crown for online movie rentals and downloads?

This happens year after year. The day of the keynote (and sometimes days/weeks afterward) always sees enormous demand for the stream but they never allocate enough to handle it. You think that they would have figured it out by now, and they better pretty damn quick if they expect to stream movie rentals - reliably that is.

I have a 3 megabit DSL connection and this is what I'm getting. They get an F. Pathetic.

Agreed. The streaming gets pathetic with every event. I have an 8MB broadband and the streaming feels more a 24KB stream. Still yet to get past intro before lock ups i guess i'll try later in 6 months.

D0ct0rteeth
Aug 8, 2006, 02:02 AM
I think its your connection or location... or something regionally specific to you.

Im leaching of my neighbors wifi, with just 2 bars and I get a fantastic stream here.

- Doc

VanNess
Aug 8, 2006, 02:13 AM
Im leaching of my neighbors wifi, with just 2 bars and I get a fantastic stream here.

Now why didn't I think of that, lol.

cwerdna
Aug 8, 2006, 02:58 AM
Man, even after midnight PST, the stream is unwatchable. I can't go >1 minute w/o some significant multisecond complete stoppage or major video glitch (where only the audio comes through). The results are equally bad on both my PC and Mac. I'm going to have to either wait a few days or start looking for a torrent.

I think last year's keynote was this bad too or worse the first day.

Maybe Apple should rent some time on Discovery Channel at ~3 am like TiVo does for "Teleworld paid programming" (for their clips) so that PVR and VCR owners can at least record it. It might even save on their bandwidth bill to Akamai.

ATG
Aug 8, 2006, 04:22 AM
Come on apple!!!! There are 4800 people there who are all paying for tickets (or get tickets out of really pricey memberships). 4800 x $1595 = $7,656,000!!! (or around there). Do you think you could afford to buy 10 more Xserves?

About steve and his health... I haven't seen him yet (stream still not good enough to watch) but if he did have to have part of his stomach removed then that could be the reason he's skinny. Also a beard is not the sign of ill health.

McoreD
Aug 8, 2006, 05:03 AM
Jeffrey903, how is the download going? I just started downloading using HiDownload and I will see how it goes.

ernestc
Aug 8, 2006, 06:20 AM
Listen, here is how you get the stream to work. Go to your quicktime preferences and turn the Conenction speed onto automatic or say a 128 conenction, it will cough up a nicely watchable lower grade version of the stream which streams nicely. If you say 1.5 mb/sec Lan then it tries to stream to you the higher res version which stutters. And BTW. It is up to Akamai, apples bandwidth distributer to cough up more bandwidth.

Good luck peoples.

bowens
Aug 8, 2006, 08:05 AM
Listen, here is how you get the stream to work. Go to your quicktime preferences and turn the Conenction speed onto automatic or say a 128 conenction, it will cough up a nicely watchable lower grade version of the stream which streams nicely. If you say 1.5 mb/sec Lan then it tries to stream to you the higher res version which stutters. And BTW. It is up to Akamai, apples bandwidth distributer to cough up more bandwidth.

Good luck peoples.

Nope, still doesn't work for me. I'm on my LAN at work and can't even get the video to start. I even turned the stream down to 28.8.

peterjhill
Aug 8, 2006, 09:30 AM
I think its your connection or location... or something regionally specific to you.

Yes, remember that this is all Akamai'd or through some other company "edge cached". So if you are close (in a network sense) to a cache server that is not busy, you will get great streams, but if you are in a city that is somehow oversubscribed, you might be screwed. I am in Seattle and have not been able to get the stream to start. There are a lot of mac users here.

Possible issues:
- Load balancers in front of cache servers could be hitting some limits
- Servers with content over subscribed
- Network uplinks of caching site oversubscribed

That would be my guesses. You think your upset, I bet Steve Jobs is pissed as hell. It makes me wonder if there are better ways to do this if you don't want to pay for all the hardware needed to support 100 million views in the first 24 hours... Something like a queueing system that requires you to click on something when it is ready to serve you video. What must be killing them is all the people reloading and re-requesting the video.

toughboy
Aug 8, 2006, 10:15 AM
That would be my guesses. You think your upset, I bet Steve Jobs is pissed as hell. It makes me wonder if there are better ways to do this if you don't want to pay for all the hardware needed to support 100 million views in the first 24 hours... Something like a queueing system that requires you to click on something when it is ready to serve you video. What must be killing them is all the people reloading and re-requesting the video.

Let me tell a better way to do this:

LET PEOPLE DOWNLOAD A KEYNOTE!

That way:

1) I wont re-re-request a movie just to view once (or anymore time I want)
2) I'll distribute the video through other sources and servers (or by hand-to-hand)

Can someone explain the logic behind the stream?!?!

FriarTuck
Aug 8, 2006, 10:34 AM
Anybody else pick up some canned applause lingering after the real stuff at a couple of points in the keynote?

If so... that is mega lame.

drumpat01
Aug 8, 2006, 11:38 AM
I know a few of you are downloading this video stream so please post a link when its finished!! PLEASE!

Tymmz
Aug 8, 2006, 12:24 PM

I was thinking the same thing. I guess Schiller will replace Jobs.

bigandy
Aug 8, 2006, 12:33 PM
damnit.

drumpat01
Aug 8, 2006, 12:33 PM
No! Not Phil please! I know he is a great guy and he is very good at what he does...technical stuff. But I don't really feel anything from him emotionally. Apple needs a keynote speaker who inspires us and Phil doesn't do that. What about Jonathan Ives? He has the ability to see the future just like Jobs does and whenever I see him speak in an iPod promo he I really feel like he believes in what he is doing. I'd love to see him take over.

Skeeball236
Aug 8, 2006, 12:38 PM
del

mickhyperion
Aug 8, 2006, 12:39 PM
It's playing well for me now, after a lot of trouble yesterday even as late as 1am PST. So either the demand is less now or they've cranked up the power or both. Nice to finally see it.

xPismo
Aug 8, 2006, 12:46 PM
Anybody else pick up some canned applause lingering after the real stuff at a couple of points in the keynote?

If so... that is mega lame.

Yes and yes. I have never heard that before in a Stevenote. Hopefully its covering a heckler or other audio problems, but I'm beginning to doubt it as I watch more.

The stream keeps breaking up about half way so I'll reserve judgement until I see the rest but ewww. :(

MacSedgley
Aug 8, 2006, 12:47 PM
Phil Schiller is a terrible presenter, perhaps he's a nice bloke.

Watching it in the UK at around 11.30pm last night, it quit out after about half an hour, and the quality was a little choppy before then.

Why did they decide to present the MacPro before the OSX leopard stuff? Maybe cos they didn't want to wheel Phil Schiller on at the end?

With regards to Jobs looking ill, lets face it, he works hard, and he's knocking on a bit now. Must have been a pretty hectic period shifting over to a different chip.

CoMpX
Aug 8, 2006, 01:22 PM
I can't believe they are STILL backed up. Stop watching it everyone! :p

Jeffrey903
Aug 8, 2006, 02:03 PM
I don't think that it's backed up anymore. Just use a different browser to click on the button. I was able to successfully watch it with few hiccups about an hour ago.

Also - I have pretty much given up downloading the keynote as HiDownload gets about 10MB in and then thinks its done and just stops. I also tried Net Transport and Stream Down and those don't work either.

_Matt
Aug 8, 2006, 02:10 PM
It's streaming perfectly for me right now. It seems as though Apple has placed a limit on the number of viewers at any given time due to the message that pops up. This wasn't a bad keynote at all. :p

MacsRgr8
Aug 8, 2006, 03:04 PM
It really is starting to get very annoying.

Last night I could watch about 30 mins before I lost the connection. Now I have tried it twice, and after about 15 mins it's all gone. :mad:

Trying to download the whole stream via HiDownload, but..... also keeps stopping after a couple of MB's. :(

I wonder who has been able to download it completely yet. And even so this person has to generate a torrent fils orso.

bowens
Aug 8, 2006, 03:29 PM
I can't get the video to play at all. I have been trying all day. I have also tried downloading with the suggested programs and they don't even start. This sucks.

britishempire
Aug 8, 2006, 07:43 PM
Yeah, Jobs didn't seem as on-the-ball as usual. But give the guy a break, he's a busy man and he's had major surgery in the not-too-distant past, he's bound to have his ups and downs.

A friend of mine has been undergoing treatment for cancer over the last 18 months and most of the time she's fine... Sometimes she has a rough patch like we all do every now and then, it just affects people a little harder when they're in a delicate state to start with.

Steve's fine, I'm sure he'll be back on top form for the next keynote. And if not, well... That sucks, but he's gonna have to stop someday :P

DJMastaWes
Aug 8, 2006, 07:52 PM
I watched it yesterday, but it was off can on.

Phil is a really nice guy and I like him, but I don't like him as a presenter. I was SJ did the whole thing. However I don't think he was ready, and that have the other 3 help were a last minute thing which is why they were all kind of off.

Haveing that french guy talking about vista was a really bad choise. I could not understand what he was saying.

I also did not like it when Jobs was reading what to do.

Hopefully Paris will make up for these things.

aswitcher
Aug 8, 2006, 09:15 PM
I can't get the video to play at all. I have been trying all day. I have also tried downloading with the suggested programs and they don't even start. This sucks.

I got it to work but the lipsync went wonky. They relly need to release it via iTunes as pod cast

Mac Rules
Aug 8, 2006, 09:26 PM
I watched it yesterday, but it was off can on.

Phil is a really nice guy and I like him, but I don't like him as a presenter. I was SJ did the whole thing. However I don't think he was ready, and that have the other 3 help were a last minute thing which is why they were all kind of off.

Haveing that french guy talking about vista was a really bad choise. I could not understand what he was saying.

I also did not like it when Jobs was reading what to do.

Hopefully Paris will make up for these things.

I'm totally with you on the french dude, also is eyes looked shifty, could have just been a poor stream, but him and Phil just looked to anxious on stage... Phil was much more suited to the iChat lol

But SJ reading the notes, you gotta bear in mind that was an 1.5hour presentation, and with the busy schedule he has, you gotta cut him some slack.

Finally the other dude, can't remeber his name who helped to present OSX.5, Time Machine etc, I actually thought he was very good, and I got a good vibe from him, he felt so into everything he was doing and showing, now whether thats because he's a good presenter or whtther he is truly into Apples, well lets hope its the latter if SJ steps down, I think he gots the ambition to push Apple along...

But long live the king!

Cheers

cwerdna
Aug 9, 2006, 01:10 AM
At least the stream is much better for me now some 20 hours later. Yay!

Leondunkleyc
Aug 9, 2006, 01:25 AM

vendettabass
Aug 9, 2006, 02:37 AM
guys! just checking, when is the paris gig? I'm after a mac mini for university and I'm praying the mini's get updated!

Thanks!
Gareth

MacsRgr8
Aug 9, 2006, 03:30 AM
I just noticed that if you open the stream in your browser and slect the drop down menu, there's a pro option (which I don't have) to "Save as quicktime movie". Does that work for anyone with pro, or will it just save a link to the stream on your computer?

The latter in this case unfortunately.

QuickTime Pro usually gives you the option to download video content of the web, but these keynote streams are made in such a way that you can't save the entire movie. You download a part of it (cache), then you play that part, and after playing it, the cache gets deleted. And then the next part, and the next.... and so on.

To download the enitre movie stream, you need somekind of app that let's you save the cache.

I don't know why Apple doesn't podcast it, or make it downloadable..... but they are really doing their best to prevent it being downloaded.

IIRC not one Steve-note was made available by Apple. There are "alternative sources" to get them, but nothing legal....

BrianPeppers
Aug 9, 2006, 04:51 AM
The latter in this case unfortunately.

QuickTime Pro usually gives you the option to download video content of the web, but these keynote streams are made in such a way that you can't save the entire movie. You download a part of it (cache), then you play that part, and after playing it, the cache gets deleted. And then the next part, and the next.... and so on.

To download the enitre movie stream, you need somekind of app that let's you save the cache.

I don't know why Apple doesn't podcast it, or make it downloadable..... but they are really doing their best to prevent it being downloaded.

IIRC not one Steve-note was made available by Apple. There are "alternative sources" to get them, but nothing legal....

Well I do not have broadband in my apartment (only here for 3 months) and a DSL connection is out of the question due to it being a serviced apartment. I tried hi-download but it streams @ 6kb/s and stops around 40mb!!

Would be a great help if somebody rips this and make it available via bit torrent!

bowens
Aug 9, 2006, 09:55 AM
I still can't play the video. This is pissing me off. Are that many people still watching this thing?

Brett McD
Aug 9, 2006, 10:36 AM
Is there any way to save the .mp4 file at the end of the rtsp... address?
Just a question.

flyfish29
Aug 9, 2006, 01:02 PM
I still can't play the video. This is pissing me off. Are that many people still watching this thing?

Well, you sure are trying to so I would guess others are. I would guess many people are rewinding parts, reviewing parts, and some like tried to wait until most had viewed it like you- It is good that so many people are trying to watch this thing- but isn't good apple can't keep up with demand on their servers/bandwidth I finally got to watch it yesterday and actually had to keep rewinding parts as I missed things when my kids woudl come up to me and chat about something.

MacsRgr8
Aug 9, 2006, 03:30 PM
Finally.. finally... finally....

I was able to watch it fully in one go @ 30 fps!!! :)

I liked the Keynote very much. So much better to actually see what happened...

drumpat01
Aug 9, 2006, 11:05 PM
If anyone has this downloaded would you PLEASE post it somewhere or make a torrent for us. Many of us want to watch this over and over again with out having to be online.

drumpat01
Aug 11, 2006, 04:30 AM
The Keynote is available for download at Expowiki.org/forum just register and get the password then the entire collection is free :) Brought to you by the guys who use to own AppleKeynotes.

MacsRgr8
Aug 11, 2006, 04:33 AM
Yep.

I got it from there too!

What a gr8 site that is! :)
I am downloading every single movie off it. I had many myself, but this will make my Apple movie collection nice and complete.

Superb job building that site, guys!
Many, many, many tnx!

EDIT:
BTW.... how was that movie made? Using a screen-capture-movie tool? Or was the entire cache of the stream somehow captured..?

srchurch
Aug 11, 2006, 04:20 PM
Wow, I have been scouring the net for a downloadable file of the WWDC2006 keynote and finally the holy grail for keynote addicts has been provided. Thanks Expowiki.org
Drop them some cash so we can count on them to provide the next keynote for all of us. I did!

scokim
Aug 11, 2006, 10:15 PM
Can someone share it on a torrent. pretty please !

The password for expowikil.org is not working. It wouldn't authenticate.

drumpat01
Aug 11, 2006, 11:34 PM
try again. I just tried it and it works fine for me. check the forum to make sure you have the correct password.

http://expowiki.org/forum/

remember you have to be signed in to see the password section.

scokim
Aug 12, 2006, 12:26 AM
ok. it's working.

my fault as i used the 'downloading' password instead of the 'main site' password to first access the site.

thanks.

VAG
Aug 12, 2006, 11:06 AM
I also have made a copy of it and uploaded to my blog.
Here is the link of the post:
http://www.280676.com/?p=86
Filesize is 140Mb and encoded with H.264 Quicktime movie.

PS: It's in greek and english the post's blog language.

XIII
Aug 12, 2006, 11:14 AM
Wow, I have been scouring the net for a downloadable file of the WWDC2006 keynote and finally the holy grail for keynote addicts has been provided. Thanks Expowiki.org
Drop them some cash so we can count on them to provide the next keynote for all of us. I did!

Ahh, we didn't know who it was from! Thanks a lot, much appreciated! Hope you enjoy the site. :)

Mortixer
Sep 5, 2006, 07:00 PM

CoMpX
Sep 5, 2006, 07:07 PM

I have seen this more than once. Someone trying to get their post count up? This isn't the way to do it.

macman2790
Sep 6, 2006, 12:41 AM
yeah that stuff is rediculous no wonder he got banned