PDA

View Full Version : Steve Jobs: Losing his touch???

MovieCutter
Aug 7, 2006, 05:59 PM
Did anyone else notice that Jobs looked a little thin and rough around the edges today? On top of that...he let baby beluga...err...Phil Schiller (he's another story) intro the fastest Mac ever??? WTF mate? He also let this guy named Scott demo most of the new Leopard stuff. Is Steve preparing an apprentice? Getting ready to turn over more and more responsibility? Just not feeling well today? What do you think? Am I the only one who noticed???

iGary
Aug 7, 2006, 06:01 PM
No, of course you aren't the only one.

I think this was an intro to other people besides Steve starting to take over these types of responsibilities (I think they are trying to get us ready for Steve retiring).

I don't think he looked any worse than he has in the past, but since he had all these guys up there today, it's a sign of things to come.

Kinda sad.

MovieCutter
Aug 7, 2006, 06:02 PM
I don't know, I watched WWDC 2005 keynote last night, and it seems like he lost a lot of weight between then and today. He doesn't seem as filled out or as healthy (maybe the rest of Steve is hiding under Phil Schiller's untucked shirt...come on Phil, tuck in your shirt and use your products; i.e. Nike+iPod) It is kind of sad...:( :(

DakotaGuy
Aug 7, 2006, 06:15 PM
Didn't he have cancer a couple of years ago? It always worries me when someone has any cancer problems...it always seems like it comes back someday. I am not saying he has had a relapse...it just makes you wonder if he looks ill and has lost a lot of weight.

MoparShaha
Aug 7, 2006, 06:25 PM
Steve's appearance was noticeably different today. He looks much more thin, and didn't have nearly as much energy and presence as he has in past keynotes.

It does indeed look like he's ill. His limited role in the keynote seems to reinforce this speculation.

stoid
Aug 7, 2006, 06:31 PM
If the rumors are correct the man has been under considerable stress dealing with the MPAA cartel and trying to help Apple leap further ahead as Microsoft continues to nap.

rdowns
Aug 7, 2006, 06:33 PM
I don't think he looked ill. I think it's just Apple starting to get other faces out in the public eye. Jobs is the only public face they've had to date (with a little Schiller). He won't run the company forever.

spicyapple
Aug 7, 2006, 06:45 PM
If only we could suck some of the fat out of Phil and give it to Steve. :p

Haven't seen the Keynote yet. I'll wait until Oprah ends, then I'll try connecting. :cool:

MovieCutter
Aug 7, 2006, 06:57 PM
little Schiller

Watch the keynote, you won't utter those two words side by side again...

SuperSnake2012
Aug 7, 2006, 07:13 PM
I met him in May when Apple Fifth Avenue opened and the first thing I said to myself is that he looks really thin... I hope he is healthy :(

iMikeT
Aug 7, 2006, 08:29 PM
If SJ is having a relapse, hopefully it's treatable.

rdowns
Aug 8, 2006, 10:37 AM
Watch the keynote, you won't utter those two words side by side again...

I stand corrected. :D

GorillaPaws
Aug 8, 2006, 11:04 AM
If only we could suck some of the fat out of Phil and give it to Steve. :p

Haven't seen the Keynote yet. I'll wait until Oprah ends, then I'll try connecting. :cool:

Yeah Phil's girth was very distracting. I think he's fairly charismatic, but that gut of his...

EGT
Aug 8, 2006, 11:49 AM
I certainly hope not. I wouldn't be surprised if he retired in a few years but I hope illness doesn't take up much of his retirement time (when it happens ...)

Stay strong, Steve. :)

Josh
Aug 8, 2006, 12:05 PM
I thought it was a little strange as well, and agree with Gary (and others) that it may be a sign of what is to come.

Though when the one guy (name eludes me now) was talking, all I could think of was Mad Eye, from Harry Potter.
http://bigheadz.boxchart.com/harry/madeye.jpg

BornAgainMac
Aug 8, 2006, 12:25 PM
Yeah Phil's girth was very distracting. I think he's fairly charismatic, but that gut of his...

Core Image, Core Animation, Core Fat

bigandy
Aug 8, 2006, 02:48 PM
what i noticed more than weight, was his inability to excite, to inspire, to RDF... he wasn't on the ball at all, he seemed distant, especially when he forgot what he was saying...

it was really sad watching and i hope it was just him feeling crap today.

and if he is grooming successors, let's hope that if the usually interesting and quite amusing Schiller does take over, that he isn't as nervous and stuttery as he obviously was on Monday. And loses some weight. And tucks in his shirt. And stops sweating as much.

Chaszmyr
Aug 8, 2006, 02:55 PM
Phil Schiller is a great guy I'm sure, but he just doesn't have what it takes to replace Steve Jobs as a public figure.

finalcoolman
Aug 8, 2006, 03:40 PM
Steve Jobs is an arrogant bigot.

LastBreath
Aug 8, 2006, 04:19 PM
Is Steve preparing an apprentice?

I think that's it, the impact on the company of a total unexpected withdrawal of Steve would kill the market price.

_Matt
Aug 8, 2006, 06:35 PM
I thought it was a little strange as well, and agree with Gary (and others) that it may be a sign of what is to come.

Though when the one guy (name eludes me now) was talking, all I could think of was Mad Eye, from Harry Potter.
http://bigheadz.boxchart.com/harry/madeye.jpg

BERTRON!?? hahaha. that's the funniest thing i've heard all day. :D

Caitlyn
Aug 8, 2006, 07:34 PM
I have to admit that too was a little disappointed to see Jobs hand over the mic to Phill and Bertron quite a few times. Although, I did like the third guy. Was it Scott? Anywho, we all look forward to his Steve-ness delivering his speech and for the most part, he wasn't even talking. Sad, but maybe he's trying to ween us over for when he retires. :eek: :(

Sedulous
Aug 8, 2006, 08:02 PM
Gosh, don't you think maybe now that he IS healthy that he has hit the gym? Maybe he was one of the beta testers for iPod+Nike? Maybe more people were on stage to split the work load, etc.. Remember, Steve is now on the board at Disney. That has to take a serious chunk of time and a certain amount of focus away from preparing for speeches.

thewhitehart
Aug 8, 2006, 08:16 PM
Have a little faith in the Steve. And making fun of Phil on account of his weight is a little more than messed up. This guy is behind most of the tastiest gems at Apple that we drool over all the time.

It's like the hot blonde chick, until you try and have a conversation with her. But the other way around. Yeah.

MovieCutter
Aug 8, 2006, 09:57 PM
Steve Jobs is an arrogant bigot.

uh....ok

zoziw
Aug 8, 2006, 11:00 PM
I think he is ill. His appearance at MacWorld earlier this year wasn't up to his usual standards and yesterday was much worse. I saw a couple of TV interviews with him earlier this year and in both he seemed off as well.

pixlnet
Aug 9, 2006, 01:06 AM
I do believe at Macworld he had a bit of a cold, but overall health seemed ok. He did lost a great deal of weight as you can see the way he walks seems much more frail/weak. It could be a relapse or it could be something else...who knows. But I think the company and it's culture have their identity back. Apple is what Apple is expected to be.

One thing people always overlook is big features like the stuff we saw in Tiger take a great deal of work, time, and planning. Apple is also going through a transition, so don't expect them to put out every little thing you could think of. Think of last year as taking a side-step and this year moving forward with it.

I don't know about you but I really thought all the announcements were really neat. Spaces will be a HUGE help for me and is worth the upgrade by itself. There are still many things to polish on OSX without HUGE features.

They were smart by not displaying all the top secret stuff. It's a developer conference and most the developers use the under the hood stuff anyways. Macworld in January will have many different announcements and I'm sure we will see many other updates to the Pro software.

But seriously do not forget that Apple was in a transition. Why do you think the enclosures for the line-ups are all the same? Be patient.

Agathon
Aug 9, 2006, 03:07 AM
He looks like a man who has advancing cancer. My dad looked exactly like this when he was getting quite sick. The whole forgetful thing was the same as well.

He looked absolutely terrible yesterday, and I was worried when I saw the Macworld Keynote and the NYC opening interview. He didn't look so bad at the Cupertino City Council meeting.

I wonder if he's actually going to work full time any more. Whatever it is, you can bet that his doctors have been watching him like a hawk.

I'm no doctor, but the only other thing I can think of is that the operation a couple of years back has damaged his pancreas. I had a friend who came down with type 1 diabetes and he looked a lot like Jobs does now until they got his insulin under control.

If he really is sick, and it's not treatable, I wouldn't expect to hear anything from Apple until they are ready. Otherwise, I would expect some sort of denial. In that respect I imagine Apple will treat his case much like the Cuban government is treating Castro's illness.

Agathon
Aug 9, 2006, 03:20 AM
Phil Schiller is a great guy I'm sure, but he just doesn't have what it takes to replace Steve Jobs as a public figure.

Phil has all the figure he needs....

cwedl
Aug 9, 2006, 03:29 AM
Phil has all the figure he needs....

Hes eating for the both of them!

clayj
Aug 9, 2006, 09:00 AM
Core Image, Core Animation, Core FatNEW in Leopard (Mac OS X 10.5)... it's the new English/Cockney translation system "Core Blimey"! ;)

fblack
Aug 11, 2006, 01:59 PM
Well, he's got to start grooming some other people to take on his responsibilities. No one can go on forever, its just practical. A company can be devastated by the loss of a founder and no clear succession strategy.

It doesn't necessarily mean he's deathly ill. He might have just been under the weather (at least i hope so). Also, remember he's involved with pixar and now disney too. He's got alot on his plate (which schiller hasn't eaten yet:D ).

There also seemed to have been a fair number of people disappointed not just with the presentation, but what was released. Maybe we've all gotten a little jaded and spoiled with "one more thing.":)

macridah
Aug 12, 2006, 09:42 AM
Steve did look a lot skinner than usual. i have seen him person several times but he looked different in the webcast of the keynote.

I think steve did a good job but he just didn't do most of the keynote as usual. Now the other 3 guys did not impress me at all.

iGary
Aug 12, 2006, 10:00 AM
Who knows what is up, but if you go back to MWSF 2004, that was the last gangbuster performance he gave. Keynotes have been downhill since then.

Oh well.