PDA

View Full Version : simcity 4

me hate windows
Mar 16, 2003, 10:44 PM
I want to get simcity 4 for the mac when it comes out. On Aspyr's site it says for requirements: 500 MHz processor and 32MB of VRAM. I have a G4 400Mhz with 16MB of VRAM . Do I really need to have those, or could I play it on my machine? I do have 768 MB of RAM, would that help at all?:confused::confused::confused:

Thanks

MrMacMan
Mar 16, 2003, 10:47 PM
I doubt it, sim city 4000 looks really graphic based...

I once though I could get away with something like that.
"system req: 266 processor"
Mine: 233 processor

It crashed on loading. :mad:

You could try it when it comes out...

BTW, this should be gaming discussion.

macktheknife
Mar 16, 2003, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by me hate windows
I want to get simcity 4 for the mac when it comes out. On Aspyr's site it says for requirements: 500 MHz processor and 32MB of VRAM. I have a G4 400Mhz with 16MB of VRAM . Do I really need to have those, or could I play it on my machine? I do have 768 MB of RAM, would that help at all?:confused::confused::confused:

Thanks

I would be very careful about the requirements. A great number of posts on the Internet have pointed out how sluggish SimCity 4 is on their machine that far exceeds the suggested requirements. Look at the reviews on Amazon.com to get an idea of what I mean. Folks with 1 GB RAM with a 2 GHz P4 processors have complained about the game's sluggishness on their computers. Thus, I seriously doubt your current set up will handle the game, let alone play it smoothly.

I understand your anxiety--I want to play it too!

blogo
Mar 17, 2003, 12:08 AM
I hope the port makes use of altivec, and I also hope the port will be better optimized than the PC-version, like for example the Mac edition of Max Payne was.

joed
Mar 17, 2003, 01:01 AM

Thanks

I have the exact same computer and dilema. I really want to play SimCity so not sure if I should upgrade or buy a newer tower!

And yes, I would upgrade just so I can play one game. Do people think it's worth it?

James.

macktheknife
Mar 17, 2003, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by joed
I have the exact same computer and dilema. I really want to play SimCity so not sure if I should upgrade or buy a newer tower!

And yes, I would upgrade just so I can play one game. Do people think it's worth it?

James.

Honestly, if you love to play SimCity that much get a PC. Sorry, I'm a happy TiBook owner, but I am also a generic PC owner. I built the PC myself, and it only cost about $750 (with a 17-inch monitor!). As I had mentioned in my previous post, the hardware requirements for SimCity 4 is quite high, so you had better get the fastest machine you can possibly afford.

Hope this helps. :)

joed
Mar 17, 2003, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by macktheknife
Honestly, if you love to play SimCity that much get a PC. Sorry, I'm a happy TiBook owner, but I am also a generic PC owner. I built the PC myself, and it only cost about $750 (with a 17-inch monitor!). As I had mentioned in my previous post, the hardware requirements for SimCity 4 is quite high, so you had better get the fastest machine you can possibly afford.

Hope this helps. :)

I do love SimCity.

I actually have a PC lying around, but it's a Pentium 90 :)

I'm wanting to get a burner for my mac, so it might be easier just to buy a newer tower. And who knows what system req 10.3 will have! I think I'll go and search ebay!

James.

macktheknife
Mar 17, 2003, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by joed
I do love SimCity.

I actually have a PC lying around, but it's a Pentium 90 :)

I'm wanting to get a burner for my mac, so it might be easier just to buy a newer tower. And who knows what system req 10.3 will have! I think I'll go and search ebay!

James.

The general rule is, if your system is more than 2 years old, it is already obsolete. It sounds like your computer will not be able to handle the requirements. Thus, I think it would be cheaper and wiser for you to invest in a new computer.

Good luck with whatever you do. :)

joed
Mar 17, 2003, 01:31 AM
Thanks for the support :)

I went and got my G4/400 about 18months ago, second hand.

So, yeah think I'll invest in something a little more upto date.

Can't wait to see what happens in Q2 from Apple :)

James

KingArthur
Mar 17, 2003, 03:35 AM
Lol. One of my friends got SimCity4 for his PC Laptop. It has a 1.4Ghz P4 with 256MB DDR RAM and a GeForce4 420 to go, and SimCity4 won't run! The requirements on it are massive, especially compared to what they tote as the requirements. Anyway, I just thought I would let you guys know what you are up against;) Don't try and be cheap on the requirements:P

me hate windows
Mar 17, 2003, 08:09 AM
thanks for all the help, i guess i wont buy it:(

irmongoose
Mar 17, 2003, 08:37 AM
thanks for all the help, i guess i wont buy it:(

You're not supposed to buy games... let alone software... psheesh :rolleyes:

:p :D ;)

irmongoose

icetraxxg5
Mar 18, 2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by irmongoose
You're not supposed to buy games... let alone software... psheesh :rolleyes:

:p :D ;)

irmongoose

Just like your not supposed to buy hardware. :rolleyes:

TyleRomeo
Mar 18, 2003, 06:42 PM
will it run smoothly on a dual 1.25 with 2MB of L3? is it dual proccessor aware>

Tyler

MrMacMan
Mar 18, 2003, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by TyleRomeo
will it run smoothly on a dual 1.25 with 2MB of L3? is it dual proccessor aware>

Tyler

No one knows for the mac yet, though it should run fine.

daniel77
Mar 18, 2003, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by macktheknife
The general rule is, if your system is more than 2 years old, it is already obsolete. It sounds like your computer will not be able to handle the requirements. Thus, I think it would be cheaper and wiser for you to invest in a new computer.

Good luck with whatever you do. :)

i better duck :)
i have a G3 powerbook for my mac, and a 667 PIII dell :P :D :D