Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

idea_hamster

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
NYC, or thereabouts
So I get spam -- maybe 12 a day. Big deal? Not really.

But just now I got an "undeliverable e-mail" server return -- and when I scroll down to see the message...it's spam! :eek: of the abjectly prurient type! :eek:

So I need some reassurance: someone tell me that this was just someone spoofing my e-mail address and not someone actually sending e-mail from my account.... :(

I'm including the text of the e-mail in case someone knows how to interpret it. What makes me think it was spoofing was that the from line was:
from: "idea_hamster@[nospam].com" <idea_hamster@[spamstinks].com>
rather than:

Here's the text without link parsing, but with some all-too-necessary censorship (xxx's):

Subject: Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender
Date: August 10, 2006 1:27:16 AM EDT
To: idea_hamster@[spammersstink].com

This is the SMTP Server program at host orange.fr.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not be
be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to <postmaster>

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The SMTP Server program

<ide@wanadoo.fr>: orange.fr platform: said: 552 5.2.2 Over quota (in reply to
RCPT TO command)
Reporting-MTA: dns; orange.fr
X-SMTP-Server-Queue-ID: 618CE1C00081
X-SMTP-Server-Sender: rfc822; idea_hamster@[spammerscaneatme].com
Arrival-Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 07:27:16 +0200 (CEST)

Final-Recipient: rfc822; ide@spamrots.fr
Action: failed
Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; orange.fr platform: said: 552 5.2.2 Over quota (in
reply to RCPT TO command)

From: "idea_hamster@[I<#spam].com" <idea_hamster@[spammersareturds].com>
Date: August 10, 2006 1:27:15 AM EDT
To: ide@[spamisthe11thplague].fr
Subject: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://yonakana.info/pb/037/

=B5D595B71B444BE484AB7A56ABBA=
any more. It w@s n0t invisible; it had simply taken
(PS -- I say "just" spoofing because it's better than actually being the spam source,
but it still gets my hackles up! :mad: )

(PPS -- this may be the most emoticons that I've ever used in a single post. :rolleyes: )

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
idea_hamster said:
So I need some reassurance: someone tell me that this was just someone spoofing my e-mail address and not someone actually sending e-mail from my account.... :(

This was just someone spoofing your e-mail address and not someone actually sending from your account. It is a very common tactic, used on the assumption that real addresses will sneak more easily though filters (and as a bonus it deflects hate mail from recipients who don't know how to check headers).

There were occasions when I've received hundreds of bounces a day like that, but most ISPs wised up in the past year or two and turned off the notifications.

Oh, by the way: You may want to edit your post to fake up those mail addresses, so you don't end up on fresh lists...

idea_hamster

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
NYC, or thereabouts
Thanks

That's what I figured.

And thanks for the tip on the e-mail addresses -- it's like I'm some kind of moron ... :rolleyes: ... really, I'd feel worse about the other dude's e-mail address that I left in there.

Palad1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2004
London, UK
Last week, Orange flagged MY ip as a spammer.

I'm on a dsl line, some poor soul had a zombie machine, and I had the luck to inherit its IP address the following day.

Grrrr...

idea_hamster

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
NYC, or thereabouts
Palad1 said:
Last week, Orange flagged MY ip as a spammer.

I'm on a dsl line, some poor soul had a zombie machine, and I had the luck to inherit its IP address the following day.

Grrrr...
Interesting -- so what happened? All your e-mail got bounced as originating from a "spam source"?

Or was the IP address enough to have the zombie's spam appear as though it was coming from you? :confused:

Palad1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2004
London, UK
idea_hamster said:
Interesting -- so what happened? All your e-mail got bounced as originating from a "spam source"?

Or was the IP address enough to have the zombie's spam appear as though it was coming from you? :confused:

Yup, everything bounced because of the IP address.
Quick fix: disconnect the router and restart the adsl connection untill I got another address assigned to my router.

That's a tale I'll tell my Windows Using friends who think 'I don't need to secure my machine I don't care if it slows down sometimes"

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Does look like you can put off the member name change to spam_hamster for a little bit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.