Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

breakfastcrew

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2006
ok so I try plugging my guitar directly into my macbook's input port all I get are feedback and sharp beeps. Then i search and found out that I need to run my guitar through my processor first to get a stronger signal. I still get feedback and beeps?? What am I suppose to do? is my input port defective??

e-clipse

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2006
Nashville,TN
breakfastcrew said:
ok so I try plugging my guitar directly into my macbook's input port all I get are feedback and sharp beeps. Then i search and found out that I need to run my guitar through my processor first to get a stronger signal. I still get feedback and beeps?? What am I suppose to do? is my input port defective??

Have you changed your Garageband Preferences from Built-In Mic Input to Built-In Line Input? Do the sounds sound like overdriven guitar amp feedback or do they sound nothing like anything you have ever heard from a guitar before?

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
breakfastcrew said:

ok, first STOP

is it a microphone i.e. magnetic input on your Macbook, or is it a line-level input? An electric guitar has a magnetic output, so you definitely don't want to plug your guitar into a line-level port. Plugging a magnetic output into a line-level input is a virtually fool-proof way to blow the input port.

Also, even if you are using the mic input on your Macbook, it's a virtual certainty that it was not designed to handle the kind of current an electric guitar can generate. So there's still a good chance you'll wind up blowing the port.

You're going to need to run your guitar through a processor (a mixer actually is the best thing) in order to make it work. An M-Audio FW400 or a Presonus Firebox (or something along those lines) is what you're going to want.

breakfastcrew

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2006
hahahah ok I hope I didn't break anything but the apple garage band tutorial said to just plug your guitar straight in with a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter of course. And beatsme I did try your way I plug my guitar into my multi effects pedal processor and it still gives me the same sound. And do I need to do what eclipse recommends? I really think it is the built in mic cause when I play it echos and then beeps into a feedback.

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
breakfastcrew said:
hahahah ok I hope I didn't break anything but the apple garage band tutorial said to just plug your guitar straight in with a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter of course. And beatsme I did try your way I plug my guitar into my multi effects pedal processor and it still gives me the same sound. And do I need to do what eclipse recommends? I really think it is the built in mic cause when I play it echos and then beeps into a feedback.

well, if Apple says the port can handle it, then I wouldn't worry too much. I mention this because I've had some experience with feeding too much current into a port not designed to handle it. Works for a while and then...bzzzzzzt.

though I still wonder: are you using the line-in port, or the mic port?

yea, change the GB preferences and see what that does.

e-clipse

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2006
Nashville,TN
You can only use either your built in mic or your line in, but not both at the same time. You have to tell Garageband which one to use. It is possible to get rediculous feedback from the an over amplified mic (maxing out the volume by raising volume on Garageband and your system volume.)

If you do not change the preferences in GB, then you won't be able to hear your guitar thru the processor.

breakfastcrew

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2006
wait hold on, a guitar signal is very weak and it shouldn't do any damage since it is not even plug into anything. The only power it is getting is from the vibrating strings acting on the magnets. I haven't look at the maunal yet but I believe there are two 1/4 ports on the macbook. One is for digital line out/analog line out and the other is digital line in/analog line in. Then on top of that there is a built in mic. I will look at the preference thing when I get home it should work....I am surprise apple didn't put that on their website. They made it sound so easy.....

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
from here:
Connect your MacBook to a line-level microphone or optical digital audio equipment. The Audio In port accommodates both optical digital audio input and analog audio input.

Analog line and optical digital audio input is accepted through a 3.5mm mini phone jack which does not provide power to a connected device, so you must use self-powered peripherals. The sound input jack accepts line-level stereo signals up to 24-bit stereo 44.1-192kHz sampling rate. It also accepts a stereo miniplug-to-RCA cable adapter for connecting stereo equipment to the computer.
electric guitars put out Hi-Z signals, which are not line level. did the GB tutuorial say anything else about plugging in the guitar?

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
is that "ta da" as in, "this page has helped me and now it's working", or "ta da" as in, "i present to you the video i was talking about so you can watch it and help me."?

breakfastcrew

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2006
There is a constant static noise. If I tap the macbook it plays back the tap and echo until it turns into a constant beep feedback. When I plug my strings it remains static for like a second but then it plays it back really quietly and echos until it too turns into a constant beep feedback.

e-clipse

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2006
Nashville,TN
how strange... you got my curiousity, so I hooked my guitar to it, and it worked fine. Do you make sure to select Line Input in the Audio Preferences in Garageband. It will say, load in drivers for Direct Line Input? Select yes, then add new real instrument track. Click on the track to select it and highlight it. In the bottom right corner you should see an option to monitor the track. Turn this on and turn it's volume fader up all the way.
You should have dry guitar, which you can change at any time by selecting amp simulation options in the far right panel. If you can't get this to work, I don't know what to tell ya. Maybe, your Macbook has an audio input issue. I still think you have mic selected in garageband preferences.

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
breakfastcrew said:
wait hold on, a guitar signal is very weak and it shouldn't do any damage since it is not even plug into anything.

you would think so...

f1slash

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2009
Sorry to bump an old thread, but figured it's better than making a new one.

I can't get my guitar to record in GB with my MBP. I have followed the apple online tutorials, changed the MBP sound preferences to line-in, and the GB preferences to line-in. All tutorials say it might be quiet but I'm getting 100% silence, not quiet.

Cables and adaptors work elsewhere. There's no sound when I try recording plugging/unplugging the cords so maybe my line-in port is dead (which would suck as the MBP is barely a month old and already had a screen failure).

Edit: the levels do jump when I plug/unplug the cable from the computer so I guess the jack isn't dead after all. Hmm... any advice would be greatly appreciated.

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
UK
check your levels on all the settings you can find and your guitar (thats pretty obvious). Mine worked straight away.
Make sure the track isn't muted, turn 'monitor on' and put some headphones on so you would be able to hear it. Try changing the effect some are really quiet. make sure the track is active (click on it) and make sure its armed to record so you can hear it through the monitor... Can't think what else... Should work... Sound preferences in the system settings?

gouvernor

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2008
Mono

I had some issues a while back when iLife 09 first came out, but I chose Real Instrument then chose a mono input and it let me play my acoustic/electric ovation through my MacBook Pro with only an adapter on the instrument side. I am not sure if the pre-amp built into the guitar makes a difference though. I wish I had it in front of me to get more detailed, but that's what I can remember for now.

Leo

rebels23

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2009
I have the same issue plugging in my acoustic electric to my Mac Pro's line-level in the back. I use a 1/8" to 1/4" stereo adapter and I get nothing.

robotluvhottub

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2012
I AM HERE TO THE RESCUE i feel sorry for you all, i have it working perfectly

My guitar is plugged directly into the macbook input port no amp

it is very very simple i will tell you the secret

step 1 under preferences/audio make sure system input is selected

now make a new basic track

here is the important step under track info, turn monitor 'on'

YOU ARE DONE AND YOUR WELCOME

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.