PDA

View Full Version : 20" LCD's.....Formac or Apple ??

SpaceMusic_Guy
Mar 19, 2003, 02:25 AM
Who out there knows alot about or has the Formac 20" Digital LCD ?? I've seen the Apple LCD"s in person (20" & 23") but not the Formac. From what I've read about the Formac, it seems to spec a little better than the Apple LCD's (contrast ratio and color accuracy)..........or are they about the same to the eye ??

I'm looking at getting a new G4 in the near future and a Digital LCD monitor to go with it. I do alot of Graphics and Printing so whichever LCD monitor I get needs to be color accurate enough to replace my 21" Hitachi CRT.

So.........which would be the better monitor (especially for color accuracy) ??

Since I just noticed that Formac recently dropped the price of their 20" LCD to $1,399 (very cool !!), that seems to be a better buy than Apple's 20" (which has less screen space from top to bottom because of the Cinema design).

Any feedback is appreciated.

TyleRomeo
Mar 19, 2003, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by SpaceMusic_Guy
Who out there knows alot about or has the Formac 20" Digital LCD ?? I've seen the Apple LCD"s in person (20" & 23") but not the Formac. From what I've read about the Formac, it seems to spec a little better than the Apple LCD's (contrast ratio and color accuracy)..........or are they about the same to the eye ??

I'm looking at getting a new G4 in the near future and a Digital LCD monitor to go with it. I do alot of Graphics and Printing so whichever LCD monitor I get needs to be color accurate enough to replace my 21" Hitachi CRT.

So.........which would be the better monitor (especially for color accuracy) ??

Since I just noticed that Formac recently dropped the price of their 20" LCD to $1,399 (very cool !!), that seems to be a better buy than Apple's 20" (which has less screen space from top to bottom because of the Cinema design).

Any feedback is appreciated.

i have the formac 2010 and i love it, at the time apple didn't release the 20 inch LCD so i had to settle for formac's 4:3 ratio. It is a beautiful display though, formac says its the first truly color accurate LCD and you can prove it by buying those pantone color testers which i know nothing about about, but to the naked eye, its a sweet monitor. btw i have the DVI model which is nice since I can use it with a future powerbook.

Tyler

Quixcube
Mar 22, 2003, 08:13 PM
I bought two of the 17 inch displays, and have nothing but good things to say about them.

However, I wouldn't buy from Formac again because since I bought the displays, I have had trouble with their customer support on other Formac products (studio, studio dv/tv). Basically, they try to make to so hard to speak to a human being that you give up.

I dread the day that something goes wrong with one of the displays. I don't think that the warranty is worth the paper it is written on.

the future
Mar 25, 2003, 03:15 PM
That was eactly what I experienced, too. Their support is horrible. I would never buy another Formac product again. Go with the Cinema Display, it looks much cooler as well.

mymemory
Mar 25, 2003, 04:03 PM
I would take the Apple LCD just because Apple is doing a very good job with their monitors.

Now, you are talking about colo accuracy, well that is a cons that you have to work out to gather with the price difference.

In my experiene I work with a sony ctr monitor which is not that accurate, I'm 70% of the market out there. Actually, I do not know anybaody with an even 70% color calibrated monitor. I haven't seen one in my life to be honest.

So, what is real is the price and suport. The price is not that different but the support woul be a diference when you need it.

It is your choice, I would take the Apple just because in a few things I can not go around that long.

benixau
Mar 25, 2003, 04:44 PM
also - you mentioned that apple cut off space at the top? no way. from my understanding - someone confirm apple complies - all LCD ddisplays are measured by their viewable area, unlike CRTs. The means that apple has just stretched it out to give you a 16:10 ratio or 4:2.5 compared to 4:3 for the formac displays.

go with the apple 20". it is as good a 20" LCD as your going to get. and if you have an ADC port its just 'click' (plug in to graphics card) - hummmm (startup sound) - tada, all configured.

yzedf
Mar 25, 2003, 04:47 PM
If you want color accuracy you need the CRT. No if's, and's, or but's about it.

That being said, I would go with whichever offers the most screen real estate (total pixels). If tied, get the Apple.

alset
Mar 25, 2003, 06:50 PM
As mentioned above, Apple's support makes their displays worth the extra cash. Hands down.

But if cash is a concern, Formac makes a fine product.

Dan