PDA

View Full Version : Free iTunes Videos

MacRumors
Aug 15, 2006, 09:02 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple has posted a free iTunes Video page (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewRoom?fcId=174723902&pageType=playlists&id=37) that compiles their current free video episodes available for download.

The section currently contains 14 episodes from different series. The episodes primarily include promotional videos and pilot episodes, presumably in an effort to increase the audience for upcoming shows.

Apple's video section continues to grow with regular additions to their lineup. Many still expect Apple to introduce a dedicated Video iPod in the future. Recent announcements by Seagate (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/08/20060814111802.shtml) for 60GB and 120GB 1.8" drives have sparked speculation that Apple could use these higher-capacity drives in future iPods.

spicyapple
Aug 15, 2006, 09:05 AM
Time to save up for a video iPod. :D

sbrhwkp3
That's awesome. Way to make things easier to find. Maybe free downloads will get people interested in buying other episodes and what not.

wmmk
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple has posted a free iTunes Video page (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewRoom?fcId=174723902&pageType=playlists&id=37) that compiles their current free video episodes available for download.

The section currently contains 14 episodes from different series. The episodes primarily include promotional videos and pilot episodes, presumably in an effort to increase the audience for upcoming shows.

Apple's video section continues to grow with regular additions to their lineup. Many still expect Apple to introduce a dedicated Video iPod in the future. Recent announcements by Seagate (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/08/20060814111802.shtml) for 60GB and 120GB 1.8" drives have sparked speculation that Apple could use these higher-capacity drives in future iPods.
wow! neato!i hadn't even heard of some of these shows.

danielwsmithee
Aug 15, 2006, 09:08 AM
wow! neato!i hadn't even heard of some of these shows.Would you mind listing the shows. The link is blocked for me at work because it is an MP3/download service.

ImAlwaysRight
Aug 15, 2006, 09:14 AM
FREE is always good.

But I thought someone said, "Nothing in life is ever free." There's always some catch. I guess you need to spend hundreds on a computer or an iPod to be able to download "free" iTunes videos. ;)

count chocula
Aug 15, 2006, 09:14 AM
Would you mind listing the shows. The link is blocked for me at work because it is an MP3/download service.
there you go, the only one i bothered to download was the episode of prisonbreak. i love that show.

http://lh4.google.com/mtownand1/ROHWiv00ABI/AAAAAAAAAAU/aIrkGjenf6U/Picture%201.png?imgmax=720

spicyapple
Aug 15, 2006, 09:19 AM
There's always some catch.
The first hit is always free.

ezekielrage_99
Aug 15, 2006, 09:28 AM
I'm up for some high capacity iPods, it would be nice to see a 60GB or 120GB iPod video

Sky Blue
Aug 15, 2006, 09:30 AM
Free shows have been listed at the bottom of the TV Shows section for some time.

dernhelm
Aug 15, 2006, 09:39 AM
I'm up for some high capacity iPods, it would be nice to see a 60GB or 120GB iPod video

I have all of 6GB of music, but I'd take a 120GB version just for a travelling time-machine backup drive. Oh yeah - and the complete season of Firefly...

motulist
Aug 15, 2006, 09:44 AM
I see why these videos are free, they're all 2nd or 3rd tier series. Free is pretty useless when it's not something you want at all. Still, it's a good marketing tool to let people dip their toes in the water into online video.

MattyMac
Aug 15, 2006, 09:51 AM
How generous:p

Porchland
Aug 15, 2006, 09:54 AM
The first hit is always free.

I suspect we'll seek a lot of freebie pilots and behind-the-scenes clips for shows premiering in August and September.

Also, is "Passions" the first soap opera on iTMS? I don't watch soap operas, but soaps would be a potential huge market, potentially if they stock the catalogs: subscriptions, catching up on what happened 10 years ago, etc. Start watching "Days of Our Lives" from the very beginning?

Daytime TV -- including Oprah, game shows, etc. -- is probably the biggest under-represented area on iTMS TV Shows.

revjay
Aug 15, 2006, 09:56 AM
Canadians unite and destroy the C.R.T.C.! http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/cancon.htm
We have yet to see even a sniff of a TV show on iTunes!

Not even Corner Gas!

Or Trailer Park Boys!

...or Whistler???

April Dancer
Aug 15, 2006, 10:03 AM

Not even Corner Gas!

Or Trailer Park Boys!

...or Whistler???

Join the club! Not so much as a trailer here in the UK. I'm not even sure why I care though. Whatever they have to offer is going to be nothing as good as the shows I can rip onto the iPod from my dvds, particularly as most of it is 25 - 40 years old! It's just the principle. :mad:

fabsgwu
Aug 15, 2006, 10:23 AM
Passions (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewTVSeason?id=179129551&s=143441)? Who would pay for Passions?

F12 that, I'm going for the Snakes on a Plane (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPlayListsPage?fcId=179921283&pageType=playlists&id=1&ign-mscache=1) special!!!

jameshopkins
Aug 15, 2006, 10:32 AM
No UK content, as usual.

We have the greatest TV shows in the world, but no love from Apple.

rockthecasbah
Aug 15, 2006, 10:36 AM
Meh i'd be happy if the shows that were free weren't complete crap (Project Runway isn't crap but it's not worth watching outside of TV and certainly not on my iPod) :D. To anyone that enjoys them, mazel tov, but count me out of this one haha.

~Shard~
Aug 15, 2006, 10:42 AM
Until Apple brings videos to the Canadian iTMS Azureus will continue to be working overtime on my Mac. :cool:

Buschmaster
Aug 15, 2006, 10:46 AM
I downloaded the Psych free download a while ago, the rest of them I've either never heard of or I just think the show looks weird.:confused:

jameshopkins
Aug 15, 2006, 10:48 AM
Until Apple brings videos to the Canadian iTMS Azureus will continue to be working overtime on my Mac. :cool:

Yeah they are missing out big time in the UK too

inblosam
Aug 15, 2006, 10:56 AM
Psych is a great new show that USA has done. I've been a Monk fan for some time, and Psych is kind of like the polar opposite. Both remind me of days with Columbo, always solving something, just with more finesse.

-Michael Jensen
http://www.appliedcontent.com

shamino
Aug 15, 2006, 10:57 AM
... Start watching "Days of Our Lives" from the very beginning?
ROTFLMAO! I think a complete collection of Days would fill every hard drive ever manufactured :D.

I think that show has been on TV, running daily, since the dawn of television itself. Well, not quite. According to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Days_of_our_Lives), only since November 1965. But we're still talking about over 40 years of daily episodes!

But scarily enough, according to that same Wikipedia article, NBC apparently has all of the episodes in its archive, so this could theoretically be done. Gentlemen, I think we've just discovered a use for 4-layer Blu-Ray discs - so you can sell whole-season archives of soap operas :D

eenu
Aug 15, 2006, 10:58 AM
Yeah they are missing out big time in the UK too

There must be some reason why they can't sell these things in the UK. I mean, some of the shows they sell on the US apple store we get here so why do they not allow us to have them too?

Only reason i can think of is that there is some legislation or some licensing fee involved which at this time outweighs the benefit for Apple. Still it would be nice if apple would give an official answer

spicyapple
Aug 15, 2006, 10:58 AM
Haha. I used to be a regular viewer of Days for about 3 years. When you follow the story line and have an emotional investment in the characters, the show is damn addicting!

Tanglewood
Aug 15, 2006, 11:08 AM
Its nice that they consolidated everything but I kinda of liked having to search around the TV show page to find the free downloads (reminded me of when the free songs of the week and discovery download first came out a few years ago).

Even if there aren't good shows for free download right now there have been a few in the past (i.e. Invader Zim).

gugy
Aug 15, 2006, 11:14 AM
wow, 120gb video ipod. sweet.
bring it on!

mac 2005
Aug 15, 2006, 11:15 AM
No UK content, as usual.

I'm not clear on how Apple is to blame here. It's the BBC or Channel Four that would own the copyright to the material; shouldn't they be the ones to make the content available?

Also, there are larger issues. Royalty payment to the actors, directors, screenwriters, etc. Not to mention the music involved in the shows; I'm sure there are copyright issues there, too.

More to the point, why so much whining? US customers cannot access foreign content the same way people outside the US cannot access US content.

FoxyKaye
Aug 15, 2006, 11:31 AM
I don't have cable, or even TV for that matter.

Not that it stopped me from downloading it to watch tonight, but whose idea was "Blade: The Series" anyhow? :D

schatten
Aug 15, 2006, 11:36 AM
I know it's pointless to ask, but why are there more Negative votes on this article than Positive?

Apple is giving away free videos, and making it easy to find them, and people are voting Negative? Why so glum? Crikey, people! Cheer up! Free Stuff! Sheesh!

sunfast
Aug 15, 2006, 11:38 AM
No UK content, as usual.

It's a shame, but then I can't really complain as I don't buy anything from iTMS anyway.

Dr.Gargoyle
Aug 15, 2006, 11:42 AM
I know it's pointless to ask, but why are there more Negative votes on this article than Positive?

Apple is giving away free videos, and making it easy to find them, and people are voting Negative? Why so glum? Crikey, people! Cheer up! Free Stuff! Sheesh!
I think it is all us non-us citizens complaining about how poverty striken our iTMS are in comparison ... and it is getting worse day by day. Heck, we dont even have free songs at iTMS here in Sweden. :(

Leondunkleyc
Aug 15, 2006, 11:48 AM

camomac
Aug 15, 2006, 12:01 PM
WTF how is it possible that there are 10 positives and 15 negatives (at this time) about something that is free??

~Shard~
Aug 15, 2006, 12:13 PM
WTF how is it possible that there are 10 positives and 15 negatives (at this time) about something that is free??

Perhaps the people who do not have access to iTMS videos at all, free or otherwise, are simply stating their displeasure with this fact. ;)

For me, it's like, "Oooh, great free videos, whatever, this doesn't affect me at all. Apple get your ass in gear and realize there are customers outside the little US of A who would be more than willing to increase your revenue."

I realize it's not necessarily Apple's fault due to legal mumbo jumbo and all that, but the fact remains... :cool:

anonicon
Aug 15, 2006, 12:14 PM

I'm just waiting for hard drive technology to move forward. I'd like a 400-500gb iPod so that I could get rid of MP3s and AACs and put my entire CD collection (in its original, uncompressed CD Audio format) into an iPod.

iPods are great, and using them with earphones are fine, but when I pipe an iPod into a high-end car stereo, or in a friend's high-end home stereo, it's really easy to tell that I'm playing MP3s/AACs because of the compression degradation.

Chuck

anonicon
Aug 15, 2006, 12:17 PM
No UK content, as usual.

You *had* the greatest TV shows in the world. As an American, I really enjoyed Red Cap, Frye and Laurie, and of course Monty Python's Flying Circus, but now you can't see them on BBC America at all - even in re-runs. Boo! :)

~Shard~
Aug 15, 2006, 12:22 PM
I'm just waiting for hard drive technology to move forward. I'd like a 400-500gb iPod so that I could get rid of MP3s and AACs and put my entire CD collection (in its original, uncompressed CD Audio format) into an iPod.

Maybe iPods will move to using holographic storage in the future then to meet those capacity requirements. :cool:

eenu
Aug 15, 2006, 12:47 PM
there was an article (cant find the link) that actually discussed the use of wirless to stream your media from a home server whereever you are to your portable device.

This would avoid the need for large drives for storage etc. It was an interesting article and i for one would love this to be reality though i think we are a good few years off it.

Cobrien
Aug 15, 2006, 02:08 PM
I'm not clear on how Apple is to blame here. It's the BBC or Channel Four that would own the copyright to the material; shouldn't they be the ones to make the content available?

Also, there are larger issues. Royalty payment to the actors, directors, screenwriters, etc. Not to mention the music involved in the shows; I'm sure there are copyright issues there, too.

More to the point, why so much whining? US customers cannot access foreign content the same way people outside the US cannot access US content.

Yes, but in America you get everything anyway, so you wouldn't have to access foreign content.

Do you think we should start a petition to get tv shows to foreign stores.

BrianMojo
Aug 15, 2006, 02:15 PM
I'd been wanting to catch some of Who Wants to be a Superhero!

Rocktastic.

2nyRiggz
Aug 15, 2006, 02:29 PM
I'm interested in the blade free download.....anybody ever watched the show?....is it good? is it worth the download?.......everything else is blahhhh.

Bless

Porchland
Aug 15, 2006, 03:16 PM
ROTFLMAO! I think a complete collection of Days would fill every hard drive ever manufactured :D.

I think that show has been on TV, running daily, since the dawn of television itself. Well, not quite. According to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Days_of_our_Lives), only since November 1965. But we're still talking about over 40 years of daily episodes!

But scarily enough, according to that same Wikipedia article, NBC apparently has all of the episodes in its archive, so this could theoretically be done. Gentlemen, I think we've just discovered a use for 4-layer Blu-Ray discs - so you can sell whole-season archives of soap operas :D

Hmm, let's do a little quick math:

365 days a year works out to about 260 week days. So, 260 days times 40 years is about 10,400 episodes. Times about 10 minutes to download each one at about 200 MBs. I'd say we're looking at about 72 days download time and will need about 2.1 terabites of storage capacity.

But you'll have YEARS of entertainment. ;)

~Shard~
Aug 15, 2006, 03:27 PM
Hmm, let's do a little quick math:

365 days a year works out to about 260 week days. So, 260 days times 40 years is about 10,400 episodes. Times about 10 minutes to download each one at about 200 MBs. I'd say we're looking at about 72 days download time and will need about 2.1 terabites of storage capacity.

But you'll have YEARS of entertainment. ;)

Wow, that even beats my Doctor Who collection! Every episode since 1963 = 180 GB of AVIs. :eek: :cool:

playaj82
Aug 15, 2006, 03:48 PM
I'm interested in the blade free download.....anybody ever watched the show?....is it good? is it worth the download?.......everything else is blahhhh.

Bless

Concept, meh
If you really liked the Blade movies, pass on these, just a disappointment

Blade on network TV, never will work. Blade only works as a comic, and as an R rated movie.

wyatt23
Aug 15, 2006, 04:29 PM
i have been waiting for the free video section forever.

schweeet!

B. Hunter
Aug 15, 2006, 06:03 PM

Not even Corner Gas!

Or Trailer Park Boys!

...or Whistler???
I agree.
There is a lot of great Canadian programming out there. The problem is you hardly see it anymore.
I would like to see The Beachcombers or even North of 60 available on iTunes.
The Beachcombers was one of the longest running TV programs in history. There is a whole generation of fans out there and around the world waiting for both of these series to be released on DVD. Fans have waited years. Why not release them on iTunes?

Cobrien
Aug 16, 2006, 04:12 AM
Bring Top gear, Brainiac, Extras and anything with Steve Coogan in it and that will do for me and my British shows.

jameshopkins
Aug 16, 2006, 06:59 AM

What are you on about, there is no content for US customers not to have access to! You have all the content on iTunes.

iMeowbot
Aug 16, 2006, 07:06 AM
What are you on about, there is no content for US customers not to have access to! You have all the content on iTunes.
Not even close. there are tons of albums only available in the US as imports, and therefore not on iTMS.

Multimedia
Aug 16, 2006, 10:54 AM
I voeted positive. But if I had to vote again, I would have to vote negative because what are HD 16x9 on the television are being delivered via iTunes in ever crappy ancient history irrelevant 4x3. What's worse is that these encodes look great - IE the HD quality is now being retained while a few months ago the encodes were terrible. So what's up with the cutting off of the left and right sides of the original recordings? :confused: :eek: :mad: :(

I find this very annoying and it tells me there is poor quality control at the video part of the iTunes Store. HD shows should all be encoded and delivered in their original HD aspect ratio.

milo
Aug 16, 2006, 01:01 PM
I find this very annoying and it tells me there is poor quality control at the video part of the iTunes Store. HD shows should all be encoded and delivered in their original HD aspect ratio.

You really want letterboxing on a tiny iPod screen? Don't expect it until there's a widescreen iPod.

steve_hill4
Aug 16, 2006, 01:06 PM
You really want letterboxing on a tiny iPod screen? Don't expect it until there's a widescreen iPod.
Except on the iPod you can turn the widescreen on and off. Switch it off and it becomes 4:3 centred, (i.e information on the sides missing).

At least give us the option ourselves.