PDA

View Full Version : Wireless iPods, Soon?

MacRumors
Aug 16, 2006, 07:12 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Digitimes claims (http://www.digitimes.com/systems/a20060816A7040.html) that Apple is expected to launch an iPod that supports "wireless capabilities" to compete with Microsoft's upcoming Zune-branded MP3 players.

Apple's headquarters has begun dispatching its staff to its major markets in Asia, to teach local sales how to demonstrate the new products, the sources noted.

While Digitimes has not been an especially accurate source of information in the past, there has been a lot of buzz and discussion about wireless iPods as well as a new Apple phone, along with some possible middle ground between the two.

Steve Jobs was rumored (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/08/20060811110535.shtml) to have been talking-up an upcoming Apple phone. Meanwhile, one analyst (http://guides.macrumors.com/Gene_Munster_%28Analyst%29) expects Apple to release a new wireless iPod this fall to compete with Microsoft's Zune (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/07/20060711151857.shtml) which will feature over-the-air music downloads. Finally, previous Apple patent applications (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/05/20060505202447.shtml) show that Apple has been working on this technology as well.

Grimace
Aug 16, 2006, 07:15 AM
I hope to god they don't use bluetooth. I've had nothing but bad sound quality with those types of headphones.

sam10685
Aug 16, 2006, 07:19 AM
well... i might as well give Apple and Nintendo my credit card number.

kenzbud
Aug 16, 2006, 07:20 AM
I hope to god they don't use bluetooth. I've had nothing but bad sound quality with those types of headphones.

Knowing Apple, if they are going in introduce wifi/bluetooth, they will only add the feature if it is up to their standards.

Chundles
Aug 16, 2006, 07:22 AM
Digitimes?

iBook G5 and PowerBook G5 Digitimes?

Yah right.

Sorry but I've had it with new iPod rumours. They'll come when they come and they won't be as revolutionary as we'd thought.

Massively fed up now.

Lollypop
Aug 16, 2006, 07:25 AM
Wonder if the wireless ipod wont be the iphone, and the release of itunes 7 will also come along with the release of either?

Going wireless is inevitable, even entry level PDA's not have wifi (802.11b and g) and reviewers are critisising the mac pro for the lack of bluetooth as a default. The world is going wireless, its just a matter of time.

vouder17
Aug 16, 2006, 07:26 AM
Digitimes = lies!

amols
Aug 16, 2006, 07:26 AM
I think they'll use 802.11 for wireless. That way, I can stream my music from iPod to Airport Express directly. Although Firewire/USB will still be the primary I/O.

ahuman7341
Aug 16, 2006, 07:30 AM
Whens Wireless USB coming? That could be an option.

DavidLeblond
Aug 16, 2006, 07:34 AM
Compete with Zune? Seriously? Zune is even on Apple's radar?

Let me get this straight, maybe I'm mistaken. Is this the same Zune that was announced that it will "play music! videos! games! ... wait... no, we changed our minds... no games. And videos? Yeah we can't quite get that to work, it won't do that either. But it plays music! And looks like an iPod... except its a tad on the fugly side...."

Please. Apple already has something to compete with this, its called the iPod. Who needs wireless??

DPazdanISU
Aug 16, 2006, 07:35 AM
meh

give me an iphone pda type device with that deflatable mouse that can slide into a slot when not needed and gestures :confused: :D

NATO
Aug 16, 2006, 07:35 AM
If they use WiFi with the new iPods, they'll need a chunky battery. When I still used a PDA, the battery life nose dived when you turned on the WiFi. . .

emotion
Aug 16, 2006, 07:36 AM
Wonder if the wireless ipod wont be the iphone.

I'm thinking this too. I thnk the rumours of a new nano enclosure may also be the iphone. I guess we'll see but as Chundles points out this isn't the most reliable source of info (Digitimes).

xliver
Aug 16, 2006, 07:37 AM
I wish whoever posted this would get it straight - Microsoft is coming out with zune to compete with iPod. They are the one with the new product that will inevitably suck.

I don't understand why this post says that Apple is coming out with wireless capabilities to compete with zune - if nobody has wireless out yet, then there is not much a competition. And it certainly isn't Apple hoping to be the ones to catch up.

emotion
Aug 16, 2006, 07:43 AM
I wish whoever posted this would get it straight - Microsoft is coming out with zune to compete with iPod. They are the one with the new product that will inevitably suck.

I don't understand why this post says that Apple is coming out with wireless capabilities to compete with zune - if nobody has wireless out yet, then there is not much a competition. And it certainly isn't Apple hoping to be the ones to catch up.

At least Apple seem to be avoiding standing still. That's a good thing as it's hard to stay at the top of the market forever. Especially when MS are concerned.

Chris Bangle
Aug 16, 2006, 07:45 AM
Its going to be extremly tough to decide between a wii and a fullscreen ipod. I really want a wii.

emotion
Aug 16, 2006, 07:47 AM
I really want a wii.

I really wish Nintendo had thought harder about that name.

Then again I should be thankful they didn't call it the Puu.

:)

(Sorry).

thejadedmonkey
Aug 16, 2006, 07:47 AM
Well, it sounds like the next iPod's going to be a rather large update if half the rumors are to be believed.

Lollypop
Aug 16, 2006, 07:50 AM

The post says apple is going to compete with Zune because everyone knows almost everything about zune, with the exception of having a physical zune apple can at least stay on top by brining in inovative features before zune has them.

BlizzardBomb
Aug 16, 2006, 07:52 AM
Digitimes... Page 1... What has happened to the world! :p

Lollypop
Aug 16, 2006, 07:57 AM
Its going to be extremly tough to decide between a wii and a fullscreen ipod. I really want a wii.

I didnt even think about the wii.... :eek: I still dont see why nintendo and apple cant get in bed together, they both would like to see M$ fail, and they both could profit from a aliance, just imagine, pluging the ipod into the wii and then shopping for music on the wii... :cool:

rjgonzales
Aug 16, 2006, 08:09 AM
That way, I can stream my music from iPod to Airport Express directly.

I would also love that feature.:D

hvfsl
Aug 16, 2006, 08:09 AM
I didnt even think about the wii.... :eek: I still dont see why nintendo and apple cant get in bed together, they both would like to see M$ fail, and they both could profit from a aliance, just imagine, pluging the ipod into the wii and then shopping for music on the wii... :cool:

Well there are rumors that you will be able to download old nintendo games onto the new iPod.

Porchland
Aug 16, 2006, 08:19 AM
I thought Zune was not (http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1961) going to support wireless music downloads? So many rumors.

fuyutsuki
Aug 16, 2006, 08:23 AM
Wireless headphones ... maybe. Much needed but requires finesse.

Wireless iPod phone ... sweet. Much needed but requires finesse.

Needless to say, the phone iPod line needs a generation bump seeing as they're all approaching or beyond their first anniversary. Apple don't need to improve them to beat Zune, but they do need to improve them to create the buzz which will humiliate Zune!

Games though ... hmm. Sure I like Nintendo and the comparisons between them and Apple are often accurate, but they're worlds apart when it comes to focus. Maybe something someday. But not yet I think.

miketcool
Aug 16, 2006, 08:30 AM
The next iPod will have a new interface. The newest addition to the current lineup of devices will let you call your mom. Both will let you play video, but maybe, there is a better device coming making the total entry 3.

Phone
iPod
Video Device

Tommyg117
Aug 16, 2006, 08:34 AM
hmmm, I don't think this will come in the next version. And if it does, it would need to fix up the user interface and make it so it really works perfectly for on line.

brepublican
Aug 16, 2006, 08:36 AM
So what else is new? We all know its coming...

Arcus
Aug 16, 2006, 08:41 AM
I sure hope they announce something about an Apple phone soon. Im sooooooo tempted to get the LG Chocolate.

Dr.Gargoyle
Aug 16, 2006, 08:59 AM
Wireless iPod? I just don't see the point. Given how energy dense batteries are today syncing with iTunes would drain the battery in no time.
Wireless headsets? Big cluncky things that needs to be charged too.
The only rational for a wireless iPod would be if it became more of a PDA with GPS, or if went iPhone.

rockthecasbah
Aug 16, 2006, 09:01 AM
Wireless iPod? I just don't see the point. Given how energy dense batteries are today syncing with iTunes would drain the battery in no time.
Wireless headsets? Big cluncky things that needs to be charged too.
The only rational for a wireless iPod would be if it became more of a PDA with GPS, or if went iPhone.
That is what i don't get, what is really going to be included in a wireless iPod? The only thing i could see is that it gets the ability to purchase music from iTunes or you stream internet radio or something. Also, the waste of wireless syncing to a computer. Am i missing something bigger?

freeny
Aug 16, 2006, 09:03 AM
Digitimes?

iBook G5 and PowerBook G5 Digitimes?

Yah right.

Sorry but I've had it with new iPod rumours. They'll come when they come and they won't be as revolutionary as we'd thought.

Massively fed up now.
Im with you Chundles. Go ahead and throw in the iPhone rumors with that too...

I really wish Nintendo had thought harder about that name.

Then again I should be thankful they didn't call it the Puu.

:)

(Sorry).
Made me giggle;)

spine
Aug 16, 2006, 09:08 AM
Is an iPhone going to be able to download or stream music?
Maybe the iPhone will be the wireless device, not the iPod.

AvSRoCkCO1067
Aug 16, 2006, 09:11 AM

Let me get this straight, maybe I'm mistaken. Is this the same Zune that was announced that it will "play music! videos! games! ... wait... no, we changed our minds... no games. And videos? Yeah we can't quite get that to work, it won't do that either. But it plays music! And looks like an iPod... except its a tad on the fugly side...."

Please. Apple already has something to compete with this, its called the iPod. Who needs wireless??

Actually...it's called the iPod 4G :p .

Apple's already a generation ahead of the 'Zune' - wireless, unless providing a way to purchase songs on the go, is completely and utterly...useless :) .

emotion
Aug 16, 2006, 09:16 AM
The addition of wireless really only makes sense if the iPod is to become a communication device (a protable iChat device, oh and apple make Jabber support better please!).

The addition of itunes to the device (to get tunes directly into the iPod) breaks the model of the iPod being a "pod" for music that you fill and carry around.

LtCarter47
Aug 16, 2006, 09:16 AM
Apple's headquarters has begun dispatching its staff to its major markets in Asia, to teach local sales how to demonstrate the new products, the sources noted.

Sounds more like this would be related to this article:

Apple cuts Taiwan workforce by 30%
http://www.macnn.com/articles/06/08/15/apple.cuts.taiwan.workers/ (http://www.macnn.com/print/36508)
Apple has cut its workforce at its local Taiwan sales office by 30-40 percent, including many executives and managers. The Digitimes reports that the workforce reduction was due to weaker sales and market share achieved by Apple Taiwan, compared to the performance of Apple's Hong Kong branch. The cuts follow the June resignation of Kong Yuk-loong, the former managing director of Apple Taiwan, according to the report. "Since Kong's departure, a number of managers and executives at the branch have resigned as well, including the former head of Apple Taiwan's marketing division

playaj82
Aug 16, 2006, 09:18 AM
I have no interest in downloading music on the go or waving around my songs wirelessly.

How about an iPod where we actually increase the quality of audio instead of compromising how everything sounds for the "latest" features. Now we put in even more weak audio components to make up for the lack of power because of a wireless feature.

Pfft

eenu
Aug 16, 2006, 09:25 AM
as i have said in a previous thread there was a big article a few months ago that discussed the idea of homes having 'media servers' and you stream your music from home to the ipod instead of having it all stored locally.

Obviously this concept is for the wireless world which we don't really have at the moment but i think we will rapidly move to that stage.

For those saying the download functions could be via an iphone....well from a UK perspective i hope not becasue currently the UK mobile networks charge a fortune for GPRS data transfer that to be honest would not make it at all viable to use that service unless apple has cut a deal with them but i very much doubt that.

emotion
Aug 16, 2006, 09:30 AM
as i have said in a previous thread there was a big article a few months ago that discussed the idea of homes having 'media servers' and you stream your music from home to the ipod instead of having it all stored locally.

Good point. A little like airtunes. This would require maybe just flash storage on the device as the main storage is on the server.

For those saying the download functions could be via an iphone....well from a UK perspective i hope not becasue currently the UK mobile networks charge a fortune for GPRS data transfer that to be honest would not make it at all viable to use that service unless apple has cut a deal with them but i very much doubt that.

We need flat data rates on mobiles in the UK. It will happen (esp. if they want people to embrace 3g that they spent all the money on), it's just when.

Stella
Aug 16, 2006, 09:33 AM
If the report is from Digitimes then it can't be true.

They are consistently full of *****.

I'm surpised this isn't on page 2.

Chris Bangle
Aug 16, 2006, 09:36 AM
I think were well overdue for ipod update...

Is this the longest period of time without and update.

Shuffle is a year and 8 months old,

nano is 11 months,

and the 5g is 10 months.

The thing is that the competition is able to undercut apple prices alot, i found a 2gb toshiba thing on amazon for £69 yesterday. A 2gb nano is £130, and thats alot of money for 2 tiny gigabytes.

Back in the day 4gb cost me £130.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000ES002Q/026-7871897-8334857?v=glance&n=560798

uhzoomzip
Aug 16, 2006, 09:45 AM
Who gives a flying-you-know-what about an iPod with wireless capabilities?

What, so the transfer speeds can be even slower?
So someone can use terrible sounding, cheap bluetooth headphones?

What is the point of wireless in an iPod? These sound like rumors started by technically-inept, idiot investors who are trying to sell Apple stock to their technically-inept, idiot clients.

Macrumors: remember that part of your slogan where it says rumors "you care about"???

Next please.

Proud Liberal
Aug 16, 2006, 09:51 AM
That is what i don't get, what is really going to be included in a wireless iPod? The only thing i could see is that it gets the ability to purchase music from iTunes or you stream internet radio or something. Also, the waste of wireless syncing to a computer. Am i missing something bigger?

Count me in too...just don't get what you would need wifi for in an iPod...one download (especially video) from iTunes would kill the battery. I prefer the KISS approach to electronic devices - keep it simple, stupid.

eenu
Aug 16, 2006, 09:51 AM
Who gives a flying-you-know-what about an iPod with wireless capabilities?

What, so the transfer speeds can be even slower?
So someone can use terrible sounding, cheap bluetooth headphones?

What is the point of wireless in an iPod? These sound like rumors started by technically-inept, idiot investors who are trying to sell Apple stock to their technically-inept, idiot clients.

Macrumors: remember that part of your slogan where it says rumors "you care about"???

Next please.

or possibly so you can purchase music etc whilst out and about or even share your music between you and your friends ipods?

Those two functions alone seem attractive to me.

EDIT: Why couldn't they make ipods with mini solar cells in like calculators?

Proud Liberal
Aug 16, 2006, 09:54 AM
I have no interest in downloading music on the go or waving around my songs wirelessly.

How about an iPod where we actually increase the quality of audio instead of compromising how everything sounds for the "latest" features. Now we put in even more weak audio components to make up for the lack of power because of a wireless feature.

Pfft

How about an iPod with increased capacity so that we can actually increase the quality of the audio instead of compromising how everything sounds for the "latest" features.

miketcool
Aug 16, 2006, 10:01 AM
They just pulled it off their website a few minutes ago but it was a photo of the wireless iPod!

http://www.apple.com/ipodmobile

I saved a pic of it in my cache and posted for you to see!!!

It does iTunes and video and the screen is enormous!!

Full screen iChat messaging is availble with the built in iSight!

It is also in black!

http://daapspace.daap.uc.edu/~wiglemd/wirelessipod.tif

I can't wait to get my hands on one of these, looks great for watching movies.

Dr.Gargoyle
Aug 16, 2006, 10:02 AM
I have argued that in many posts that Apple need to introduce an iPod with a phone - iPhone or whatever it will be called. Assuming Apple have one of those more or less ready to be released, then I can see a point in both BT and WiFi.
But wireless on a mp3 player??? That is beyond my understanding. Why not add a kitchen sink when there still at it?
My personal guess, based on how fast cellphones with mp3 capabilities have evolved during the past year or two, is that Apple will release the mythical "iPhone" within a year. If they don't, Apple will most certainly lose a big chunk of their mp3-player market share.

They just pulled it off their website a few minutes ago but it was a photo of the wireless iPod!

It is also in black!

Hehehe...good one :D ;)

Chundles
Aug 16, 2006, 10:06 AM

It is also in black!

Genius! Can't believe none of us thought of how to integrate the keyboard. Just make it fold!! :eek:

Can't believe they got rid of the click wheel though, although that rectangular thing would probably work the screen pretty well.

apb3
Aug 16, 2006, 10:06 AM
This would entail an entire re-think on the part of apple and how the iPod is used. Now they do not want you to be able to transfer both ways between your iPod and your iTunes lib (you can but they don't want you to...).

If they were to add the ability to download on the fly, you'd need to sync both ways and that would HAVE to be a supported Apple way of using the iPod and iTunes. I've a feeling this might also upset the music companies as I'm sure the one-way sync was one feel-good/selling point for anti-piracy concerns.

For that reason (and the fact that I cannot remember digitimes ever being correct), I just don't see this unless the wireless is just to sync with your computer which makes no sense from a cost/benefit analysis.

edit:

and making it basically an iPod w/ airtunes makes no sense as it would cannibalize the sales thereof.

miketcool
Aug 16, 2006, 10:20 AM
Can't believe they got rid of the click wheel though, although that rectangular thing would probably work the screen pretty well.

I'm sure there might be a software hack that enables that.

eenu
Aug 16, 2006, 10:22 AM
I've a feeling this might also upset the music companies as I'm sure the one-way sync was one feel-good/selling point for anti-piracy concerns.

Though what is stopping Apple limiting it so that iTMS purchases cannot be exchanged wirelessly between pods but your own non iTMS can?

Ok thats not ideal for the music industry in terms of 'anti-piracy' but i'm sure if Apple could alleviate their fears that no iTMS music can be transfered then there is a good feature there for something like BT on your IPOD.....

Or maybe they will do the rendevous of the IPOD world and you can listen to peoples music in the vicinity to you but cant keep it and hence this would drive up music sales for the record companies.

mdntcallr
Aug 16, 2006, 10:39 AM
wireless ipod?

don't know if it means anything to me. bluetooth headphones/control? hell yeah, that could work.

I'd rather just get them to have the bigger videoscreen ipod finally work.

NATO
Aug 16, 2006, 10:47 AM
Apple has apparently denied this rumour... unusual for them, but I reckon it's probably something they're working on

The Register - Apple Wireless iPod Denial (http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/08/16/apple_denies_wireless_ipod_claim/)

ezekielrage_99
Aug 16, 2006, 10:49 AM
I would like wireless upload for an iPod but I really have the quality of wireless headphones.

ezekielrage_99
Aug 16, 2006, 10:52 AM

Apple releases Leopard and a new iPod

Microsoft releases Vista and Zune

Apple 2 Microsoft 0

apb3
Aug 16, 2006, 10:56 AM
Though what is stopping Apple limiting it so that iTMS purchases cannot be exchanged wirelessly between pods but your own non iTMS can?

Ok thats not ideal for the music industry in terms of 'anti-piracy' but i'm sure if Apple could alleviate their fears that no iTMS music can be transfered then there is a good feature there for something like BT on your IPOD.....

Or maybe they will do the rendevous of the IPOD world and you can listen to peoples music in the vicinity to you but cant keep it and hence this would drive up music sales for the record companies.

My point was that if you could buy on the fly, they'd have to enable two way sync. Not gonna happen officially. The problem/concern would be you syncing w/ other iTunes libs (edit: and they're not just concerned about ITMS purchases. I rip a CD and "share" it with you, that's illegal and a loss of income /end edit), walking home and imorting to your lib. And I already said, I KNOW you can do it but it's a hack not an officially supported and endorsed Apple method.

As far as sharing in your range. Again a waste of battery to support this. I have what I wnat ton hear for the most part. I don't much care to drain my battery searching other users' libs (that will come and go as they wander around and in and out of range - oh great, I found a cool Streets video I don't have!! Oh wait he just left range!!!), it's short-lived enough already.

Chris Bangle
Aug 16, 2006, 11:00 AM
As much as i love ipod and apple rumors it is getting stressful and frustrating that we hear these rumors every damn week and nothing comes out of them. Last week we had the iphone, the week before we had the 2nd part of the none touch stuff it just goes on and on and its peeing me off, im begining to doubt wherther there will ever be a phone or touchscreen thing.

eenu
Aug 16, 2006, 11:04 AM
The problem/concern would be you syncing w/ other iTunes libs (edit: and they're not just concerned about ITMS purchases.

Not hard for Apple to stop this with something like a digital signature allowing your pod to only sync with your library

As far as sharing in your range. Again a waste of battery to support this. I have what I wnat ton hear for the most part. I don't much care to drain my battery searching other users' libs (that will come and go as they wander around and in and out of range - oh great, I found a cool Streets video I don't have!! Oh wait he just left range!!!), it's short-lived enough already.

Agreed but this feature could be used for you to listen to your friends ipod music if they have a song they want you to hear OR in the work place. You should be in range for at least 8 hrs of the day :p

eenu
Aug 16, 2006, 11:05 AM
As much as i love ipod and apple rumors it is getting stressful and frustrating that we hear these rumors every damn week and nothing comes out of them. Last week we had the iphone, the week before we had the 2nd part of the none touch stuff it just goes on and on and its peeing me off, im begining to doubt wherther there will ever be a phone or touchscreen thing.

I agree to an extent but this is a rumours site.....so as such your going to get this. If it stresses you that much just don't read the ones you think are the same.

ipodG8TR
Aug 16, 2006, 11:08 AM
Both companies have cult-like followings (Apple and Stern, and let's face it, Stern is Sirius)

Allow Sirius subscribers to get satellite radio on their ipods, maybe even download a limited portion to the HD.

But the killer feature is the ability to BOOKMARK a song you like and buy it from iTunes later or over the air for those who want wireless.

I already have a lifetime Sirius subscription as well as numerous Apple products including an ipod.

PLEASE make it happen and don't let the Zune get this feature first.

DJMastaWes
Aug 16, 2006, 11:10 AM
an 80GB iPod/Phone would be sweet, all in one!

eenu
Aug 16, 2006, 11:13 AM
Both companies have cult-like followings (Apple and Stern, and let's face it, Stern is Sirius)

Allow Sirius subscribers to get satellite radio on their ipods, maybe even download a limited portion to the HD.

But the killer feature is the ability to BOOKMARK a song you like and buy it from iTunes later or over the air for those who want wireless.

I already have a lifetime Sirius subscription as well as numerous Apple products including an ipod.

PLEASE make it happen and don't let the Zune get this feature first.

As far as i can see Sirius is really an american service? Lets not forget Apple needs to make product releases applicable for the world outside america....one does exist :p

Chris Bangle
Aug 16, 2006, 11:15 AM
I agree to an extent but this is a rumours site.....so as such your going to get this. If it stresses you that much just don't read the ones you think are the same.

I Know but the prospect of a touchscreen ipod seems soooo cool. Its just annoying that you think its going to be launched and then it doesnt, all the hype before the hi-fi launch and 5 months down the line nothiings happened. Im sorry if im whining but I reallly want to spend my birthday money on something worthwhile.

mulze22
Aug 16, 2006, 11:16 AM
It seems like there is so many iPod ideas floating around. Full video iPod, wireless iPod, iPhone. Why not put it all into one machine. I mean it is Apple. They can do what they want.

Chris Bangle
Aug 16, 2006, 11:17 AM
As far as i can see Sirius is really an american service? Lets not forget Apple needs to make product releases applicable for the world outside america....one does exist :p

I agree with you completly, you dont sirius in the UK...

ipodG8TR
Aug 16, 2006, 11:19 AM
Actually, you can get Sirius in Canada and are able to stream Sirius anywhere in the world IF you have an account registered in the US. I've heard of many international customers setting up accounts to listen abroad.

I'm just saying that I think the two would compliment each other nicely. You could use the service as just an ipod, a receiver for Sirius or BOTH.

MattG
Aug 16, 2006, 11:20 AM
I think they'll use 802.11 for wireless. That way, I can stream my music from iPod to Airport Express directly. Although Firewire/USB will still be the primary I/O.

That's what I'm talking about...I'd love that capability.

Chris Bangle
Aug 16, 2006, 11:36 AM
Actually, you can get Sirius in Canada and are able to stream Sirius anywhere in the world IF you have an account registered in the US. I've heard of many international customers setting up accounts to listen abroad.

I'm just saying that I think the two would compliment each other nicely. You could use the service as just an ipod, a receiver for Sirius or BOTH.

Thats far too complicated for Apple.

fr0
Aug 16, 2006, 11:43 AM
The Register has an article claiming that Apple Taiwan has come out and denied this claim.

Read it Here (http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/08/16/apple_denies_wireless_ipod_claim/)

apb3
Aug 16, 2006, 11:47 AM
Not hard for Apple to stop this with something like a digital signature allowing your pod to only sync with your library

Oh great! more DRM....I don't think that's the way to go from a PR standpoint as far as Apple is concerned and in terms of what makes iTunes and the iPod sell so well ... and not as easy as you make it seem. Also, I think this may iimpact one of the features I use most, Lib sharing at home.

Agreed but this feature could be used for you to listen to your friends ipod music if they have a song they want you to hear OR in the work place. You should be in range for at least 8 hrs of the day :p

Shared music libs already address this. And again, the cost/benefit analysis of what we need to expend to do this power-wise, price-wise, PR-wise, etc... (in my opinion) just don't cut it.

eenu
Aug 16, 2006, 11:52 AM
Also, I think this may iimpact one of the features I use most, Lib sharing at home.

there is a destinct difference between 'sharing' and 'synching'.

Unspeaked
Aug 16, 2006, 12:00 PM

It is also in black!

No touch screen?

It's useless to me!

SLCentral
Aug 16, 2006, 12:02 PM
So I take it that it would be really stupid for me to buy a 5G 30GB iPod today, since I've been using a Mini since they were released?

apb3
Aug 16, 2006, 12:21 PM
there is a destinct difference between 'sharing' and 'synching'.

Exactly! Now maybe you see my first point.

And, your "solution" to fingerprinting libs could, very well I believe, impact this other distinct feature.

It makes no sense to "share" from an iPod (or to one for that matter) - costs are too high as pointed out ad nauseum (see above posts yet to be refuted).

Making it an iPod w/ AirTunes would cannibalize sales of ATEs and also - again - be too expensive from a power standpoint unless you tether your iPod to a charger defeating one of the great bonus points of wireless. Or get a dock for the TV - oh wait, you've again made the "wireless" not so wireless - and redundant...

eenu
Aug 16, 2006, 12:27 PM
Exactly! Now maybe you see my first point.

No your missing my first point. Sharing in my mind in this context is the listening but not the distribution of music. Synching is the distribution.

Hence why i was saying my method would allow you to share your library's but not sync them to more than one pod thus eliminating the piracy factor.

We are obviously talking about different things

spiffyfitz
Aug 16, 2006, 12:30 PM
I sure hope they announce something about an Apple phone soon. Im sooooooo tempted to get the LG Chocolate.

It's a shame there's almost no way Verizon will carry an Apple branded phone. I just don't see it happening. Looks like I'll have to get an LG Chocolate for music on the go...

ipodG8TR
Aug 16, 2006, 12:31 PM
Thats far too complicated for Apple.

Couldn't the option to listen to Sirius be just another menu item?

Bookmarking a song could be as simple as hitting one of the buttons on the click wheel.

Satellite radio is just beginning. Why not partner up now and set the standard. Sirius subscribers would consider buying an ipod, current ipod owners like myself would want to upgrade...

ipodG8TR
Aug 16, 2006, 12:38 PM
And why not offer clips from Sirius shows, namely Stern, as downloads from iTunes? Apple already allows explicit content (think every Hip Hop song), so there shouldn't be a problem.

Song paradies and other clips would sell like hotcakes for .99!

Stern isn't for everyone, but millions of fans would bring some serious attention and cash to Apple.

Doctor Q
Aug 16, 2006, 12:59 PM
I don't know how credible this particular Digitimes story is, but I can't imagine that Apple isn't working on wireless iPod capability. It won't be all things to all people, but it's probably necessary because it'll open the door to more features, because more and more consumers expect gadgets to have wireless capabilities, and because Apple wants to stay well ahead of all competition.

ccrandall77
Aug 16, 2006, 01:13 PM

I hope they do... but in addition to 802.11b/g/n. If they ever provide better PIM applications or an SDK to develop your own applications, bluetooth would be use for for syncing the PIMs and connecting to a mobile phone.

I haven't seen any yet, but I would guess headphones using Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR would provide a better experience. Perhaps something like that'll be available by the time a bluetooth-enabled iPod would be released.

apb3
Aug 16, 2006, 01:14 PM
No your missing my first point. Sharing in my mind in this context is the listening but not the distribution of music. Synching is the distribution.

Hence why i was saying my method would allow you to share your library's but not sync them to more than one pod thus eliminating the piracy factor.

We are obviously talking about different things

I guess so. edit: but the original story mentions wireless purchasing. That brings us back to my point(s) as to why this is not likely. end edit

But do you really think that being able to share with one iPod is worth the costs? I already argued that point. If that's the only unique new feature - no go. Even if this came from a more reputable source, I still say there's NO WAY this passes the smell test.

The only way this would do anything for anyone is to drive sales of "shared" songs one pod to the other. Your friend lets you listen, you go home and buy (or buy on your iPod wirelessly but that brings me back to my original point doesn't it?) Word of mouth works just as well if not better and doesn't take away sales from other products, add to the cost of the unit, drain my battery and make Apple look like it's playing catch up.

shadowmoses
Aug 16, 2006, 01:16 PM
This whole iPhone thing is really annoying me I was about to start a contract and get an LG chocolate but these rumors are putting me off if its not announced at the next apple meeting it'll be the luscious LG chocolate,

In all honesty though I don't care for a iPhone I just want a true video iPod!!!

SHadoW

milo
Aug 16, 2006, 01:18 PM
Well, it sounds like the next iPod's going to be a rather large update if half the rumors are to be believed.

I'm not inclined to believe even half of the rumors. And the *next* ipod will probably just be a subtle tweak to the nano in the next six weeks. Video ipods or ones with wireless would be after that.

I don't think wireless will be practical for a while. It's a cool idea, but horrible for battery life.

How about an iPod where we actually increase the quality of audio instead of compromising how everything sounds for the "latest" features.

What's your complaint about sound quality in the iPod? I think it sounds pretty good, especially if you encode music at higher bitrates.

Oh great! more DRM....I don't think that's the way to go from a PR standpoint as far as Apple is concerned and in terms of what makes iTunes and the iPod sell so well ...

It wouldn't necessarily require ANY extra DRM, they'd just build it in to the update of the ipod and itunes software. Buy a song directly on the iPod, it only gets transferred to computers with your itunes shopping account. That's pretty much how it works already.

apb3
Aug 16, 2006, 01:23 PM
It wouldn't necessarily require ANY extra DRM, they'd just build it in to the update of the ipod and itunes software. Buy a song directly on the iPod, it only gets transferred to computers with your itunes shopping account. That's pretty much how it works already.

Build what into the update?? more Digital rights management... And we go back to Apple's one-way iTunes to iPod transfer selling point to music labels. Once the floodgates to two-way transfer are opened officially, bye bye contracts with major lables and forget about movies.

jettredmont
Aug 16, 2006, 01:31 PM
The post says apple is going to compete with Zune because everyone knows almost everything about zune, with the exception of having a physical zune apple can at least stay on top by brining in inovative features before zune has them.

Back in the day, the fact that we already know everything about an unreleased product was called marketing vaporware, and it was considered a bad thing ...

Until Zune is out, Apple is already "caught up" with it, and is in fact ahead (no technology available is always technologically inferior to any technology available, to paraphrase McNealy). Don't buy into Microsoft's hype machine. They always use it to buy themselves a year in the marketplace, at the cost of us consumers.

bloogersnigen
Aug 16, 2006, 02:00 PM
That way, I can stream my music from iPod to Airport Express directly.

I would rather have it the other way around a cheap 512 mb iPod with a screen that can use my music on my mac via wifi. that would be sweet. I have over 100gb of music and want to have access to all of it from everywhere in my house. now a 30 gb or so iPod with wifi would be sweet. load all your favorite music for car rides and stuff and still listen to the rest at home.

Ben

jettredmont
Aug 16, 2006, 02:00 PM
We need flat data rates on mobiles in the UK. It will happen (esp. if they want people to embrace 3g that they spent all the money on), it's just when.

While it's nice to dream, when you are talking about a service (downloading music from your server to your device) that the vast majority of people are going to be using many hours in a day, I doubt you'll see that being "cheap" on the current setups any time soon. For one, there isn't that kind of capacity in the networks. For another, while it may be different in the UK, there are still many pockets of poor or nonexistent coverage. Finally, the cost of portable storage is decreasing significantly (by which I mean, several orders of magnitude) faster than the cost of network bandwidth.

Network capacity is where it all starts off. Why are ringtones so expensive? Well, for one, because people still buy them. But, offering $1 or $0.25 ringtones would yield a killing for both the record companies (getting $0.25 for 1/6th of a song? Seems about right relative to $1/song) and greatly expand the service in terms of total market size (ie, 1/3rd revenue per download, but much more than 3x increase in number of downloads). Why don't they do this? Because their networks, to a one, could not stand for this traffic to increase enough that the market would expand enough to make the change profitable. When you pay $3 for a ringtone download you are paying primarily to keep other people from doing the same. Sounds perverse, but that's the reality when you have a limited-availability resource, it is the foundation of supply vs demand.

Expanding on the second: I'd never, ever, buy something that I would want to use when driving, for instance, across the "boring states" of Nevada and south-eastern Oregon, that requires a constant connection to any type of service. Why? Because even cell phones are useless for about a three hour stretch of Highway 95 going up from Winnemucca. If cell phones aren't working now, how long will it be before some next-generation service comes in and "wires" the place up?

I might shoot myself without my iPod to listen to during that three hours of scrubgrass, migrating crickets, and mountains.

But, seriously, you guys are talking about a concept that would have garnered a lot of conversation fifteen years ago. The fact of the day is, though, that networking is not getting cheaper at a rate of doubling bandwidth per year, and small, portable hard drive storage (or non-hard drive Flash storage, even moreso) is. Wireless networking isn't winning on power consumption either (Flash storage wins there by a longshot as well).

Until people start having libraries that are infeasible to transport with them (which means, hard drive space can't keep up with library space, which certainly isn't the case today as library space isn't doubling per year either)and which can be trickle-downloaded to a low-profile wireless device in realtime, the idea here is dead. Sorry, that's just the facts.

eenu
Aug 16, 2006, 02:04 PM
jettredmont, in terms of the UK we have coverage pretty much everywhere non of the issues you guys have. But apart from that....points noted

weg
Aug 16, 2006, 02:06 PM
If they use WiFi with the new iPods, they'll need a chunky battery. When I still used a PDA, the battery life nose dived when you turned on the WiFi. . .

My Nintendo DS lasts pretty long, even if I'm using WiFi.. and if it's just for Music download, WiFi won't be turned on all the time

kainjow
Aug 16, 2006, 02:08 PM
The only wireless I want to see in an iPod is Bluetooth for wireless syncing to your computer, and that could be done with a special dock. Other than that, it's pointless and just sucks battery power.

petteri
Aug 16, 2006, 02:22 PM
Well what would this:

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/2751/stilleto1pg0.jpg

look like if Apple got together with Sirius?

More info on this unit here:

http://www.siriusbackstage.com/2006/08/14/stiletto-details-released-through-crutchfield/

I think a Apple +Sirius or XM deal makes a whole lot of sense. The satellite chipsets and power requirements are getting closer to what would work in an iPod. I don't think Sirius is quite there yet. XM I think so, but I don't think XM is actively looking into a partnership with Apple. Sirius has stated that there have been talks, but nothing of substance yet.

jettredmont
Aug 16, 2006, 02:24 PM
It's a shame there's almost no way Verizon will carry an Apple branded phone. I just don't see it happening. Looks like I'll have to get an LG Chocolate for music on the go...

If Apple does an "unlocked" phone (meaning, the kind of phone that used to be the rule, not the exception, which wasn't locked to a specific service provider) you'll be able to use it on Verizon (of course, assuming it supports Verizon's connection mechanism, which is different from Sprint or Cingular, but most of the phone manufacturers out there have no problem with this).

The downside, of course, is that you miss out on the 2-year financing offers from Verizon, and still have to pay for the 2-year financing (your rate isn't any cheaper if you don't take their "free" phone offer...). That having been said, the US phone companies offer crap for long-time customers ($100 off a phone for signing up for another 2-year contract? Puhlease!) and IMHO it makes more sense to just get the damned phone you want and throw that $100 "discount" aka high-interest loan away than confine yourself to Verizon's pathetic arsenal of hobbled (key features disabled, etc) phones.

jettredmont
Aug 16, 2006, 02:36 PM

I may be talking out of my ass here, but my understanding is that Sirius works via satellites in geosynchronous orbit, which means they are way way up there, "locked in" above a specific spot on the ground (they zip around the Earth once every 24 hours, which keeps them above the equatorial spot that is also zipping around a full rotation in 24 hours). It would be physically impossible for a receiver on the "other" side of the world to see a satellite above central America. Maybe Sirius has several satellites, but still if they only officially serve the US market I can't see these venturing any further East/West than the US Atlantic and Pacific coasts (maybe a little out into the Pacific to serve Hawaii better). I seriously doubt that they'd have a satellite where someone in, say, Bombay could hook in.

The other issue that comes up is angle of ascention. While it's a nice just-off-vertical and tilted south for the US customers, once you start moving east/west (or to the extreme north/south) you start making it a far more horizontal angle. Which means, living in an area without a clear horizon you will get poor results. Moreover, the smaller the angle of ascention, the more atmosphere the signal has to go through, causing connection issues.

I could be wrong. Maybe Sirius foolishly wastes its money providing satellite service to the other half of the world just for the small market of folks who are adventurous enough to open a US account just to sign on. Or, maybe they market world-wide service as a key feature for traveling businessmen (possible, but that makes me even less likely to subscribe!) Doesn't seem likely though.

Unspeaked
Aug 16, 2006, 02:40 PM
If Apple does an "unlocked" phone (meaning, the kind of phone that used to be the rule, not the exception, which wasn't locked to a specific service provider) you'll be able to use it on Verizon (of course, assuming it supports Verizon's connection mechanism, which is different from Sprint or Cingular, but most of the phone manufacturers out there have no problem with this).

I thought Verizon and Sprint used the same network type (CDMA)...?

petteri
Aug 16, 2006, 02:48 PM
I may be talking out of my ass here, but my understanding is that Sirius works via satellites in geosynchronous orbit, which means they are way way up there, "locked in" above a specific spot on the ground (they zip around the Earth once every 24 hours, which keeps them above the equatorial spot that is also zipping around a full rotation in 24 hours).

Here is a map of the Sirius satellite orbits. You can get a signal pretty far south, at least as far as southern Mexico. But to conserve power, Sirius shuts the power down once the bird goes "below" the equator. XM does have a owership in WorldSpace which does broadcast around the globe through a network of various satellites.

http://www.mts.net/~jwt/sirius-xmorbitanim.gif

rtdunham
Aug 16, 2006, 02:57 PM
The addition of wireless really only makes sense if the iPod is to become a communication device (a protable iChat device

what are the technological hurdles preventing apple from introducing an iPod/iPhone that could permit video iChats, in addition to its more conventional music player/phone functions? (the picture phone people have been waiting for since that distant World's Fair)

--apple has iChat software
-- " " tiny iChat cameras in MacBooks
--cellphone technology exists

somebody with more smarts than me run with this, or shoot it down.

thanks
terry

rtdunham
Aug 16, 2006, 03:02 PM
Why couldn't they make ipods with mini solar cells in like calculators?

well, the iPod's a mobile product and charging wouldn't work with it in pockets or cases. Of course, we could put it on top of those little beanies the geeks wear. ;)

apb3
Aug 16, 2006, 03:14 PM
You know, I'd love a Sirius receiver on my iPod. I have the car and home hookup back home and love their line-up. Stern is just a bonus as I bought it before he came over.

The 1st Wave and AltNation channels are some of the biggest drivers for my iTunes purchases actually. "Oh, yeah! I remember that song back in college! [writes note on hand while swerving through traffic]"

Not much good to me where I am now (although I can verify that I can get the Sirius online stream cuz I have a US acct) but I wouldn't be able to buy a new one here anyway... Maybe trade some porn with donkeys for one "liberated" from Saudi or something with the locals, but that seems less than ethical and would get me in some trouble most likely.

Chris Bangle
Aug 16, 2006, 03:27 PM
Couldn't the option to listen to Sirius be just another menu item?

Bookmarking a song could be as simple as hitting one of the buttons on the click wheel.

Satellite radio is just beginning. Why not partner up now and set the standard. Sirius subscribers would consider buying an ipod, current ipod owners like myself would want to upgrade...

FORGET SIRIUS... Its not gonna happen. Why implement somthing that can ony be used in the USA. There are more countries in the world thaty buy ipods. If you want sirius buy a device with sirius, dont put this crap which only you people can use on ipods.

apb3
Aug 16, 2006, 03:33 PM
FORGET SIRIUS... Its not gonna happen. Why implement somthing that can ony be used in the USA. There are more countries in the world thaty buy ipods. If you want sirius buy a device with sirius, dont put this crap which only you people can use on ipods.

iPods were pretty popular and quite a money maker when only US customers could get them and, later, when only US customers could buy online if memory serves...

KingYaba
Aug 16, 2006, 04:17 PM
Just wait and see. I bet the only new thing we'll see is iPod Nano's getting more storage. As for the replacment of the iPod Video. Just a bigger screen.

AvSRoCkCO1067
Aug 16, 2006, 04:19 PM
iPods were pretty popular and quite a money maker when only US customers could get them and, later, when only US customers could buy online if memory serves...

As are the iTunes Television Offerings...

Marx55
Aug 16, 2006, 04:36 PM
This would be a killer product if also booting Mac OS X mobile (to be released):

1. Make Keynote or PowerPoint presentations on Mac or PC.

2. Transfer to wireless iPod.

3. Carry only the iPod with you and use it as a wireless remote control to give a wireless presentation.

No cables or computers involved. Wow! It will sell millions in the corporate, education and domestic markets. Imagine the tremendous halo efect! Apple will double or triple market share of Mac as well!

aswitcher
Aug 16, 2006, 05:24 PM
I really want wireless earphones and a bigger better def screen. I just dont think its goign to happen soon or be cheap.

I would prefer the mythical 7" screen mac that can work fine when closed and weighs less than a kilo...

Detlev
Aug 16, 2006, 05:51 PM
OMG this will be so totally awesome! Maybe they'll introduce it at the WWDC...

Oh wait, that already happened and this is recycled news. meh

kashimo
Aug 16, 2006, 08:02 PM

Something about this statement means iPhone and not new iPod. Reason? The MP3 playing phones are selling very very well and Apple will have to break into a market currently dominated by Sony, Toshiba, Samsung and other Asian makers that are producing MP3 playing phones. The current Toshiba models have 2+ GB space for music. My phone can hold 250MB of music (old).

Softbank of Japan (recently bought Vodafone Japan) has been tooting the upcoming technology that they want to present to the market to take a bigger bite out of DoCoMo.

There was a rumore a few months back that the iPhone would be released first in Japan and then other places. Reason? iPod sales are falling as more Japanese want to have just one item to do phone and music. If the iPhone can do all the functions of a nano and a phone, you bet it would be a huge hit in Japan. Therefore Apple would have to dispatch lots of tech people to help get it understood not to Apple staff (like all of us...it would be a no brainer of a product) but to Softbank staff (mostly young minimally educated girls in cute uniforms).

direzz
Aug 16, 2006, 08:06 PM
i dont really think the ipod needs to be updated.

its great the way it is, and it hasnt even been a year since it was released!

why are you all on this idea of an ipod update?

the ipod isnt a computer that needs a new processor and faster components.

mp3 files just play.

Chef Medeski
Aug 16, 2006, 09:05 PM
Its at least good to see Microsoft put pressure on Apple because it forces them to actually innovate.... which is what it looks like its been doing.... i love capitalism.

jettredmont
Aug 16, 2006, 09:15 PM
Here is a map of the Sirius satellite orbits. You can get a signal pretty far south, at least as far as southern Mexico. But to conserve power, Sirius shuts the power down once the bird goes "below" the equator. XM does have a owership in WorldSpace which does broadcast around the globe through a network of various satellites.

http://www.mts.net/~jwt/sirius-xmorbitanim.gif

Very interesting. Wonder why they did a "wobbly" geo-synch, and how their receivers cope with it. I'd guess it's a cost-related thing, but maybe there's an engineering reason for it (certainly does keep at least one bird near-vertical within the US at all times ...) Note that XM is depicted there as a "true" stationary orbit above the equator.

In any case, still, you're not going to see those satellites from Bombay, no matter how long and hard you look, without a really big mirror ...

ezekielrage_99
Aug 16, 2006, 09:26 PM
Just wait and see. I bet the only new thing we'll see is iPod Nano's getting more storage. As for the replacment of the iPod Video. Just a bigger screen.

Sounds pretty likely to happen, like a large percentage of the people here I am waiting for the next updates of the iPods before I buy.

izzle22
Aug 16, 2006, 09:39 PM
There is NO way in hell Apple will ever release anything in a country other than the USA first. So you can stop getting your hopes up. Apple is an American co. and they will release products here first such as Sony sometimes releases products first in Japan. This is just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Something about this statement means iPhone and not new iPod. Reason? The MP3 playing phones are selling very very well and Apple will have to break into a market currently dominated by Sony, Toshiba, Samsung and other Asian makers that are producing MP3 playing phones. The current Toshiba models have 2+ GB space for music. My phone can hold 250MB of music (old).

Softbank of Japan (recently bought Vodafone Japan) has been tooting the upcoming technology that they want to present to the market to take a bigger bite out of DoCoMo.

There was a rumore a few months back that the iPhone would be released first in Japan and then other places. Reason? iPod sales are falling as more Japanese want to have just one item to do phone and music. If the iPhone can do all the functions of a nano and a phone, you bet it would be a huge hit in Japan. Therefore Apple would have to dispatch lots of tech people to help get it understood not to Apple staff (like all of us...it would be a no brainer of a product) but to Softbank staff (mostly young minimally educated girls in cute uniforms).

narfed
Aug 16, 2006, 10:11 PM
I may be talking out of my ass here, but my understanding is that Sirius works via satellites in geosynchronous orbit, which means they are way way up there, "locked in" above a specific spot on the ground (they zip around the Earth once every 24 hours, which keeps them above the equatorial spot that is also zipping around a full rotation in 24 hours). It would be physically impossible for a receiver on the "other" side of the world to see a satellite above central America. Maybe Sirius has several satellites, but still if they only officially serve the US market I can't see these venturing any further East/West than the US Atlantic and Pacific coasts (maybe a little out into the Pacific to serve Hawaii better). I seriously doubt that they'd have a satellite where someone in, say, Bombay could hook in.

The other issue that comes up is angle of ascention. While it's a nice just-off-vertical and tilted south for the US customers, once you start moving east/west (or to the extreme north/south) you start making it a far more horizontal angle. Which means, living in an area without a clear horizon you will get poor results. Moreover, the smaller the angle of ascention, the more atmosphere the signal has to go through, causing connection issues.

I could be wrong. Maybe Sirius foolishly wastes its money providing satellite service to the other half of the world just for the small market of folks who are adventurous enough to open a US account just to sign on. Or, maybe they market world-wide service as a key feature for traveling businessmen (possible, but that makes me even less likely to subscribe!) Doesn't seem likely though.

He's talking about streaming over the Internet, not picking up a satellite signal.

dbhays
Aug 17, 2006, 01:44 AM
Apple says no
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/08/16/apple_denies_wireless_ipod_claim/

April Dancer
Aug 17, 2006, 04:29 AM
i dont really think the ipod needs to be updated.

its great the way it is, and it hasnt even been a year since it was released!

why are you all on this idea of an ipod update?

the ipod isnt a computer that needs a new processor and faster components.

mp3 files just play.

Because they introduced video playback capability, that's why. I travel and this iPod has meant that I don't have to drag around countless dvds to while away hotel room evenings. I love it, but ultimately, the screen is ever so slightly too small (not by much, I'm not asking plasma screen here!) and I need more storage. I know I could go and buy an Archos or some such other brand but I really don't want to do that, and I'm very sure that Apple don't want me to either.

If it was still purely an mp3 player I would totally agree with you. Besides, 10 months+ with no update is a long time in the life cycle of an iPod. Only going by previous form. :)

petteri
Aug 17, 2006, 06:56 AM
Very interesting. Wonder why they did a "wobbly" geo-synch, and how their receivers cope with it. I'd guess it's a cost-related thing, but maybe there's an engineering reason for it (certainly does keep at least one bird near-vertical within the US at all times ...) Note that XM is depicted there as a "true" stationary orbit above the equator.

In any case, still, you're not going to see those satellites from Bombay, no matter how long and hard you look, without a really big mirror ...

That's exactly why they did it. The higher the "look angle" ,the fewer drop outs of the signal there are due to something (tall building) blocking the signal. It cut the cost of building repeaters in every nook and cranny of every urban area. Although now with the new portable unit they have been putting more of these up. An added benefit of the orbit is that those three people living in Northern Canada can get a signal!

I don't think Apple is concerned so much about not being able to sell a Sat ready iPod outside North America. It's more about how to integrate the Satellite service into a revenue stream for iTunes. If they can find a way to make cash with satellite radio, it will happen.

e28
Aug 17, 2006, 11:40 AM
I don't really see the demand behind adding wireless functionality into the iPod. I think wireless is the buzz word right now and investment managers and industry analysts don't even know what it means.

Bluetooth headphones, if they sound good, and bluetooth syncing is the only function people might use out of this. However, most people charge as they sync, so they would need to connect the iPod to the computer anyway. Bluetooth headphones would need to be charged too, and that is a nuisance.

The only thing semi-useful out of 802.11 is sending audio to airport express. But I use my laptop for that already, so does this really add any functionality? No one I know will be typing in a 256-bit WPA key into their iPod so they can play their iPod music over their friend's airport express, either. At work, I can view and sample my coworker's library on my computer - even when they leave for lunch. And if I like it, I can buy it on iTunes right there. Again, where is the usefulness of a wireless iPod?

I can see how XM radio might be useful to many, even though it doesn't appeal to me. However, I would think Apple would want an exclusive deal if they were to offer this feature.

apb3
Aug 17, 2006, 11:49 AM
I don't really see the demand behind adding wireless functionality into the iPod. I think wireless is the buzz word right now and investment managers and industry analysts don't even know what it means.

Bluetooth headphones, if they sound good, and bluetooth syncing is the only function people might use out of this. However, most people charge as they sync, so they would need to connect the iPod to the computer anyway. Bluetooth headphones would need to be charged too, and that is a nuisance.

The only thing semi-useful out of 802.11 is sending audio to airport express. But I use my laptop for that already, so does this really add any functionality? No one I know will be typing in a 256-bit WPA key into their iPod so they can play their iPod music over their friend's airport express, either. At work, I can view and sample my coworker's library on my computer - even when they leave for lunch. And if I like it, I can buy it on iTunes right there. Again, where is the usefulness of a wireless iPod?

I can see how XM radio might be useful to many, even though it doesn't appeal to me. However, I would think Apple would want an exclusive deal if they were to offer this feature.

A man (almost - I think XM blows as compared to Sirius, seriously) after my own heart.... ;)

and so much more succinct.:D

ipodG8TR
Aug 17, 2006, 01:28 PM
The 1st Wave and AltNation channels are some of the biggest drivers for my iTunes purchases actually. "Oh, yeah! I remember that song back in college! [writes note on hand while swerving through traffic]"

Exactly what I do -- listen to Sirius in the car and look at the display whenever I hear a great old song or something new I like. When I get to work, I launch iTunes and add the songs to my shopping cart. Then I purchase when I get home and finish checking out this weeks new releases!

ipodG8TR
Aug 17, 2006, 01:32 PM
XM blows as compared to Sirius

Especially since they have ads on their music stations now. Sirius had 600,00 subscribers before Stern and now has over 4 million. Sirius WILL surpass XM sometime in the next year. The reasons are simple:

1. Howard Stern
2. Exclusive NFL, NBA, NHL (all now) and Nascar (as of 2007) programming.
3. Commercial-free music stations

nitynate
Aug 17, 2006, 01:46 PM
PowerBook G5 next Tuesday! :rolleyes:

iBorg20181
Aug 17, 2006, 06:34 PM
Because they introduced video playback capability, that's why. I travel and this iPod has meant that I don't have to drag around countless dvds to while away hotel room evenings. I love it, but ultimately, the screen is ever so slightly too small (not by much, I'm not asking plasma screen here!) and I need more storage. I know I could go and buy an Archos or some such other brand but I really don't want to do that, and I'm very sure that Apple don't want me to either.

If it was still purely an mp3 player I would totally agree with you. Besides, 10 months+ with no update is a long time in the life cycle of an iPod. Only going by previous form. :)

Add to this the fact that the iPod's storage capacity has remain unchanged for, perhaps, the longest time in iPod history. With video capability, 60GB just isn't that big anymore. Hasn't Seagate had an 80GB 1.8" drive available for several months?

We need to have a new, improved, (and thinner?) form factor, with larger capacity, at the current price point.

apb3
Aug 18, 2006, 12:49 AM
Add to this the fact that the iPod's storage capacity has remain unchanged for, perhaps, the longest time in iPod history. With video capability, 60GB just isn't that big anymore. Hasn't Seagate had an 80GB 1.8" drive available for several months?

We need to have a new, improved, (and thinner?) form factor, with larger capacity, at the current price point.

But.... I never keep ALL the vids i've downloaded on the iPod. Do you personally need to? or can you do as I do and just uncheck the boxes in the iTunes lib (or use the manual transfer method) for videos you don't want at that time/for that trip?

I usually put enough to last me a trip and a few extra - my oldest son insists on his Clone Wars Vols. 1 and 2 and some Mystic Force Rangers, my youngest, Baby Einstein and some ripped kids shows off of Tivo - not Tivo supported yet on mac but my wife's PC laptop from her lab gets the shows transferred and I muck about with it - COME ON Tivo, get with it!!!! - and I insist on my Streets videos and presentations in Keynote.

On that point, someone mentioned wireless usefullnes in the presentation arena but it is quite easy to just use the iPod as an HD and run it from there or use a dock w/ remote, but I do appreciate/like that wireless idea for this app nonetheless :cool: ; maybe as an add-on like an FM transmitter or iTalk with its own power supply/easily swapped AA, AAA, independently rechargeable or whatever batteries so as to avoid my issues with wireless killing iPod play time capacity during untetherd use?

Not as elegant or "SEXY-WOW!," as mobile OS X or whatever but I've sold quite a few old-time PC guys on the merits of apple by showing them the difference between the real Keynote presentation straight off a mac laptop and the exported - more or less; less mostly - PPT show run from the iPod through their windows box in the briefing area.

The iPod mobile Firefox and the ability to do that with any software really (given the effort and skill) also had them excited. Security, uniforminity and transportability of essential info/prefs/forms data/ pushing info out to such devices in the hands of squad leaders and even the regular soldier/security contractor a la an ITMS type interface are a big concern for us which this type of development provides to a degree.

And the iPod or a mac laptop coupled with Keynote and it's ease of use, clarity and attention grab during the few briefings I've handled has already convinced a few of my superiors to 1) pay for a new mac laptop for me asap and 2) requisition some more on a test basis to work out just how much more secure they are than leaky windows boxes and, I extrapolate, the Zaney or whatever MS will call their iPod Killer if it makes it to market. (comments, ideas, proof-of-concept walk-throughs would be helpful in my crusade in this area. Maybe "Crusade," is a poor choice of words....:rolleyes:

The rest of my family's personal vids, video-grams, "miss you" videos, etc I keep archived in iTunes on one drive location shared by all computers authorized to do so - or backed up somewhere if you'd rather do it that way - but with drive storage getting even more affordable by the minute and the soon to be pervasiveness of Network Drives without the need to log into a "server" as such, I've no issue keeping them (unchecked so they don't sync to the iPod next time) in my regular library shared between all my computers (when I'm at home).

My wife has no issue keeping up with this way of doing things while I'm away and she's not really as computer savvy as I :p and includes a work PC :mad: in the mix. We just point all the home machines to one of our big external drives dedicated to music and video - or you could use an alias on each machine that does the same thing I suppose. She's been able to troubleshoot that herself with minimal input from me after the initial walk-through/discussion of the theory behind it. Once I cycle back to the states and spend some cash we will be able to afford - and I hope I will be able to convince my wife of the necessity of getting netdrives; it'd be convenient for her work from lab - yeah that's it... and we're going to soon need to have separate HDs for music and video with the relevant appps pointed accordingly to the right location. Two, three clicks in the apps pref panel. Easy as making MREs.

This also does away with the need to have shared music libs on the same subnet, duplicating libraries on each machine and thus wasting space, the headaches of making sure we all have the same access to the same libraries or doing backflips/using unsupported hacks to make sure everyone has the latest download purchased on "Machine X" available for all other authorized computers - all you need do is access the drive(s) wherein resides the "real" library you need for that particular app.

That said, being rather far from home at the minute I have been reduced to having a real (read: extra) copy of everything on my laptop here and it's a real pain in the ass. Especially when one of us buys a new track or video and I need to get it FTPd from her to me, me to her or sent some other way back and forth so we all have an actual copy, but this is only temporary one way or the other...:eek: It was just too snail slow doing it the aforementioned way from here.

Depending on quality offered with the alleged movie service, however, a bump to 80Gig wouldn't be bad but I think I could make do with my 60gig with some planning ahead as noted above.

I think we all agree on the need for bigger screen real estate but when you start adding the bigger/better res screen, an HD bump of at least 20gig high end, the no-touch thingy, the wireless everyone but I seems to find useful/feasible, etc... into the price factor, the iPod looses some of it's appeal to the masses and becomes the must-have-tech-geek-mac-fan gadget my gen 1 was way back when.... Oh you should have heard my wife then. And do you still remember being in public with one - the only one? :)

Geeky, but we (or, more precisely, Apple) were right.

Also, the "smaller" form factor you mention would, I think make battery life even less satisfactory for long haul trips w/out the ability to recharge often or at all. Add the wireless some are clamoring for and you might get 30 minutes if you're lucky. Hell, the latest Streets exclusive video is longer than Thriller at 20 minutes!

Tangentially, has anyone else seen the news stories (mostly since the Dell battery issue) about fuel cells or some other sort of power source for these devices that seem to be more and more dangerous from a heat standpoint?

Anyone with some technical background in that area with some insight on cost, size, cell life, feasability for an iPod like device, etc??? Would that make sense in a next gen iPod (and/or laptops, tablets (come on apple! I still love my Newton!!), an iPhone/vid chatter/presentation device thing, etc...??) maybe that's a partial solution to some of my and others' concerns with all this wireless talk and hoped-for new features.

apb3
Aug 18, 2006, 01:08 AM
Especially since they have ads on their music stations now. Sirius had 600,00 subscribers before Stern and now has over 4 million. Sirius WILL surpass XM sometime in the next year. The reasons are simple:

1. Howard Stern
2. Exclusive NFL, NBA, NHL (all now) and Nascar (as of 2007) programming.
3. Commercial-free music stations

XM has ads on the MUSIC stations?? ugh. Do you have both XM and Sirius or did you see that somewhere? I'd like to read that press release to see what they have to say and how they spin it. "We're not terrestrial radio, we're better. Oh wait, we are pretty much the same now... buy Crest! Sirius who?"

I understand the commercials/ads on talk-type radio on Sirius - and XM too I assume - especially the live ones as it takes time to change guests, pee, put the seat back down, set up segments, etc... and even recorded ones need separators/change of pace markers or whatever of sorts. If it brings in more revenue so my subscription is a bit lower, OK, I can deal. But not on the music channels. I can tell you, being able to hear and have personalities use the F-word and talk about pooh graphically (while sometimes funny) was not the main reason for my decison to go from terrestrial radio to Sirius (before Stern even made the leap). One of the big motivations was not having to sit through those lame local commercials touting some local PC repair man or dental office (sorry if that's you...) or the stations next "big" promotion just to hear a few songs I may or may not like. I want Punk or rap or old standards or comedy or Korean or way-out-there commentary? I tune to that specific station and know I will hear what I am in the mood for without idiotic offers for 0% financing until 2008 for those who qualify - I have the yellow pages and google, thanks.

SeaFox
Aug 18, 2006, 03:34 AM
I don't know how credible this particular Digitimes story is...

You must be new here.
[ducking]

I couldn't resist the old joke.

MikeELL
Aug 18, 2006, 06:05 AM
Hi, here's an excited essay for you all!

You've read some talk about apple releasing the iPhone concurrently with the next gen iPod... I'm going to make a prediction (read: wish) of what I see as the ultimate convergance of all the rumours I've seen lately. If I'm right, I'll keep talking about it for quite a while :)

I predict that the "iPhone" is the next-gen-iPod. I think that apple will happily combine both devices if/when they could be satisfied that both sets of functionality were covered.

I forsee a (3G?) phone which is also the next gen ipod (has a none-touch screen over it's entire face). This timing would tie in well with Leopard's release timing. My reasoning is that if Leopard's rumored ability to call any Phone is true, why not speak of it at the wwdc06 keynote unless they had integration with a smart new phone that they hadn't released yet? (the tech itself isn't anything new)

I therefore think the iPhone (combined with iPod or not) has to come before Leopard's release.

It is the talk of wireless iPods which has made me think that iPod/iPhone will eventually be combined. If a combo device has bluetooth/wifi, it also means it can function seemlessly with front row - also not mentioned in wwdc06 keynote and begging for an update given Apple's obsession with Macs as media devices.

For the record, I'd also like to see something like elgato's eyetv incorporated into front row - record from tv and send to your phone/iPod while using the device as a remote control for tv - but that probably counts as a second wish.

Cheers,
MikeELL

mozmac
Aug 18, 2006, 05:39 PM
well... i might as well give Apple and Nintendo my credit card number.

I feel the same. I will be lining up to get a Wii, although I'm not a huge fan of the name....it's growing on me.

I will also be lining up to get a new MacBook Pro when they update them AND when Leopard comes out. I better start saving my money now.

Apple is expected to launch an iPod that supports "wireless capabilities" to compete with Microsoft's upcoming Zune-branded MP3 players.

My favorite word in that sentence is "compete." I think the sentence should read, "Apple is expected to launch an iPod that supports 'wireless capabilities' to continue along their road map of innovation as they change the way we listen to music. Microsoft is expected to also include wireless technology in their mp3 player, named Zune, in order to compete with Apple."

There, I feel so much better about myself now.

vanzskater272
Aug 18, 2006, 06:22 PM
I wish they would make wireless ipods soon. But I just dont think that it's gonna happen.

apb3
Aug 18, 2006, 07:42 PM
I wish they would make wireless ipods soon. But I just dont think that it's gonna happen.

You can guess my feelings on this from the above discusssion but why do you want the wireless? I have seen one (maybe two) ideas that caught my eye; but not enough too change my opinion on the negative cost/benefit impact including wireless as envisioned by many here would have on my beloved device. I'm just curious as to your possible ideas or is it just cuz wireless is the latest buzzword - regardless whether it is actually useful, beneficial, effective, having a positive impact on the device in question?

So, why do you "...wish that they would make wireless iPods soon,"? What would you like to see in particular, why and how would it work technically?

I know I'm new here and I must seem a negative ass, but I just don't get why many of you would want this, let alone be frothing at the mouth. Do you not see the negatives (or, if not "negatives," at least the redundancy, bloat, PR Hype to get a few extra bucks out of you for something IMO not really worth it, etc? See my voluminous comments above). I really do love apple and it's all I really use when posible in my line of work (that must sound like the "I have black friends," line but it's true in this case). When I'm home, I won't even allow my wife's lab PC to sound the startup/shutdown chime. It's muted or it goes out the window...:D

I've even made inroads with one of the most resistant to change institutions as noted above and an SOB CO who at first laughed at apple then nearly ***** himself when I presented a REAL analysis of apple's price/security/abilities/etc benefits vs the crap PCs we're forced to use backed up by my real world work product that he had praised to no end, had officially commmended me for in the past and had no clue the praise was due to the fact that I was skirting the current sec reqs by using my own machines and apps (apple) to blow him and others away at briefings.

Anyway, would you mind sharing why you want it so bad as I asked above?

imnotatfault
Aug 19, 2006, 06:49 AM
Anyway, would you mind sharing why you want it so bad as I asked above?

I don't think it's really all that necessary until we have a much more prominent wireless infrastructure that isn't T-Mobile trying to charge you 7.99/hr to log on. Until then, it's nearly pointless unless you live in NYC, Boston, Chicago, etc.

Manic Mouse
Aug 19, 2006, 07:08 AM
Apple should take a leaf out of Sony's book and make the new iPod a mini palm-Mac like the MYLO. A slide out QWERTY keyboard in the style of the Macbook and a large touch screen would make it capable of running anything: Safari, Mail, iCal, iChat etc. It would make the iPod revolutionary (to an extent) again, and more than a mere music device: You could surf the net, write emails, watch movies and listen to music on it. Were it to run a mini-OSX the possibilities would be endless. It would also make people more interested in buying Macs because they can see how good the OS is.

Imagine, on your couch (or in starbucks) reading your email, IMing while listening to your tunes. Bliss. It would also make the WiFi functionality actually useful rather than a gimmick if it's merely a music/video player.

If Apple merely release a new media player they will have missed out on revolutionising the market again like they did when they first released the ipod. Sony have already gone half way there with the MYLO, if Apple go the rest of the way they will blow away the competition!

imnotatfault
Aug 19, 2006, 07:16 AM
Except at a lot of Starbucks that internet functionality comes at a cost, which is my point.

May be bliss, but not until we have a sound infrastructure. And I have been on some really shoddy networks, which ends up becoming far more frustrating than worthwhile, to the point where I just slam my PDA into my pocket and curse inaudibly.

Manic Mouse
Aug 19, 2006, 07:24 AM
Except at a lot of Starbucks that internet functionality comes at a cost, which is my point.

May be bliss, but not until we have a sound infrastructure. And I have been on some really shoddy networks, which ends up becoming far more frustrating than worthwhile, to the point where I just slam my PDA into my pocket and curse inaudibly.

I'm already surfing the net in my home on my PSP when I can't be bothered booting up my PC, as are many others. I would much rather be able to read/write emails while on a sofa watching TV (like text messaging) rather than hunched over a computer. It's not just the internet access either: Being able to use a decent version of iCal etc would make the iPod your personal assistant and something you couldn't do without.

Media players have been done to death. Companies are already looking into creating this kind of device (and have with MYLO).

imnotatfault
Aug 19, 2006, 07:50 AM
PSP interface is so cumbersome, though. Just have a laptop.

Manic Mouse
Aug 19, 2006, 08:03 AM
PSP interface is so cumbersome, though. Just have a laptop.

Like I said, an iPod with a touch screen and a slide out QWERTY keyboard (a la MYLO) would be better and more portable than a laptop. As clunky as the PSP's interface is, the feature of surfing the net is still very useful and popular. Imagine how much better a MYLO iPod would be. The media player market is staurated, so if Apple intend to continue to do well they need to make the new iPod much more than a media player. Incorperating WiFi into an music/video player is almost pointless, yet is many time more useful if you can check mail, IM and surf the net. It's a natural evolution of what the iPod is. And other companies are beating Apple to it: http://www.learningcenter.sony.us/assets/itpd/mylo/prod/index.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koQFjKwVFB0

peharri
Aug 19, 2006, 08:24 AM
You step into your car. The bluetooth receiver in your dashboard automatically detects the presence of your iPod. The finger controls on the steering wheel switch from controlling radio stations to stepping through playlists etc. It "just works". No cables. No need to even take the iPod out of your pocket or bag.

That's why I want wireless. Well, one of the reasons.

Of course, the bluetooth feature's great and all, but it's the 802.11g support I love using. I walk into the office, and suddenly the playlists of all of my collegues who run iTunes appears on screen. Another collegue has his own wireless iPod, and his playlists appear too. It's just like iTunes's shared playlist feature, only it's on my iPod too. It's nice enough having everyone's iTunes playlists in iTunes, but this really takes it to a dimension where it becomes truly useful.

That's why I want wireless, well, one of the reasons.

But, you know, I have my own music tastes, and there are only two or three fellow classical music fans in the office. I could listen to the radio, but only the NPR station here does classical, and that's only part of the time. Still, there are a bunch of netradio classical radio stations, so I can expose myself to even more sources, and I'm not limited by the relatively conservative selection of my collegues and friends. I go to the root menu, Radio Stations -> Favorites -> Classical 24, and now I'm receiving streamed audio from across the country.

That's another reason why I want wireless.

To all of you saying "I can't see why anyone would want wireless", I can't see why you wouldn't want wireless. Small scale sharing. Automatic integration with music systems. Net radio. What's not to love? And for what, a couple of dollars in chips, some improved firmware, and probably the same amount of battery life (given you'll not be running the hard drive)?

imnotatfault
Aug 19, 2006, 08:29 AM
You step into your car. The bluetooth receiver in your dashboard automatically detects the presence of your iPod. The finger controls on the steering wheel switch from controlling radio stations to stepping through playlists etc. It "just works". No cables. No need to even take the iPod out of your pocket or bag.

Yea, imagine this scenario if you will. Michael spends $20k on a 2006 Honda Civic EX with supposed iPod integration. He comes to find out that "integration" apparently means a plug that costs $250 + installation fee to play iPod through speakers and does NOT integrate with his CD player that reads mp3 CD ID3 tags. Instead, a crappy synthesized voice "reads" the track titles to him.

God, the sad thing is that that is real life.

.Andy
Aug 19, 2006, 08:58 AM
Like I said, an iPod with a touch screen and a slide out QWERTY keyboard (a la MYLO) would be better and more portable than a laptop. As clunky as the PSP's interface is, the feature of surfing the net is still very useful and popular. Imagine how much better a MYLO iPod would be. The media player market is staurated, so if Apple intend to continue to do well they need to make the new iPod much more than a media player. Incorperating WiFi into an music/video player is almost pointless, yet is many time more useful if you can check mail, IM and surf the net. It's a natural evolution of what the iPod is. And other companies are beating Apple to it: http://www.learningcenter.sony.us/assets/itpd/mylo/prod/index.html

I disagree with pretty much everything you said here Manic Mouse :D.

I really hope the iPod doesn't go down the line of convergence/frankenstein/jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none. It's a solid music player and it's main priority should be as such. In my experience with work colleagues and parents/in-laws the iPod is almost bordering on being too difficult as it is just with just music and video. Many never bother with video or podcasts or even firmware updates because they perceive it to be too complex. Adding slide-out keyboards, larger/deeper navigation menus, wifi connections, and email configuration would probably push it over the edge as far as being too technologically intimidating for most. Not to mention the size sacrifice.

Apple may bring something else to the market to compete if there really is a decent market for devices like the Mylo (which I'm personally not too sure there is).

imnotatfault
Aug 19, 2006, 09:09 AM
I disagree with pretty much everything you said here Manic Mouse :D.

I really hope the iPod doesn't go down the line of convergence/frankenstein/jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none. It's a solid music player and it's main priority should be as such. In my experience with work colleagues and parents/in-laws the iPod is almost bordering on being too difficult as it is just with just music and video. Many never bother with video or podcasts or even firmware updates because they perceive it to be too complex. Adding slide-out keyboards, larger/deeper navigation menus, wifi connections, and email configuration would probably push it over the edge as far as being too technologically intimidating for most. Not to mention the size sacrifice.

Apple may bring something else to the market to compete if there really is a decent market for devices like the Mylo (which I'm personally not too sure there is).

Only if the device was separate from the iPod, which stayed truer to its roots, and more importantly, there was some sort of higher integration. Like the proposed built-in dock the mac mini would have. I still miss that.

apb3
Aug 19, 2006, 09:26 AM

I sincerely hope you're wrong about apple's thinking on this. The iPod should be a pure machine. Maybe a few add-ons, improvements, limited added functionality over time - but it's an MP3 player. The best there is. Don't F with that.

Make an iPone or something else if some study shows enough people really lack the thigh strength to hold on to their laptop on the couch ;) ... I and probably close to 90% of the people I've talked to about this over the last year or two (I was deciding what to bring with me over here - laptop or highpowered PDA/phone). Severeal issues swayed me to choose the laptop but one major factor was input method. I have a PSP - yes I am in my early 30s and still buy the latest consoles/vid games...:o - and it is such a cluster F when it comes to entering text. So were all other pda/phones/etc... I do kinda like the cool factor of the slide out qwerty on devices like the chocolate but it is no way to write an email over two words in length, type in any of the "secure" (read: long and mixed) passwords we're required to use or type in any average URL. It always felt like I feel when I was trying to get through naming a DVD I was burning from my Tivo (a Humax Tivo/DVD burner combo box) without shooting the box - don't get me started on text entry with Tivo! I could no longer live without it but one of those slide out qwertys on the Tivo remote would be useful in that setting; but not for your normal net stuff you do everyday. I need to keep my thumb strength for freeing the safety in a hurry...;) not trying to type on one of those.

So, hoping I'm right and they won't add wireless to the iPod for the many reasons noted in this thread... if they do make something new that does and fits the needs some of you have called for, I really hope it's a new device (maybe with some storage for songs or whatever else you want) that will give you what you guys seem to want without making my purchase of the new "true" video iPod cost me in the range of $600 - $700 for new "features" I - and I think many others - have no desire to use.

imnotatfault
Aug 19, 2006, 09:30 AM
I really hope it's a new device (maybe with some storage for songs or whatever else you want) that will give you what you guys seem to want without making my purchase of the new "true" video iPod cost me in the range of $600 - $700 for new "features" I - and I think many others - have no desire to use.

If they go the aforementioned route, they need to keep a dedicated iPod so that the price point stays down. Seems like they'd have the common sense to just know to do that, but you never know sometimes..

apb3
Aug 19, 2006, 09:39 AM
If they go the aforementioned route, they need to keep a dedicated iPod so that the price point stays down. Seems like they'd have the common sense to just know to do that, but you never know sometimes..

Yeah. let's hope... But my confidence in the ability of others to be as smart and cool as I was never developed as a child.

I've just been surprised by all the calls (almost frenzy-like) by others on this thread (it seems you and I are pretty much on the same page as I just read your comments you entered while I was entering my own) to make the iPod, basically, an all-in-one type peice of crap. I have honestly asked why they really need this and have only sen one (maybe two) cool, albeit niche-type, uses.

While some may say Steve is mercurial, I hope in this case he is 1) on my side here, 2) just as mercurial and controlling as rumored and 3) pays no attention to this thread or any polls in which like-minded individuals participate.

imnotatfault
Aug 19, 2006, 09:43 AM
Yeah. let's hope... But my confidence in the ability of others to be as smart and cool as I was never developed as a child.

I've just been surprised by all the calls (almost frenzy-like) by others on this thread (it seems you and I are pretty much on the same page as I just read your comments you entered while I was entering my own) to make the iPod, basically, an all-in-one type peice of crap. I have honestly asked why they really need this and have only sen one (maybe two) cool, albeit niche-type, uses.

While some may say Steve is mercurial, I hope in this case he is 1) on my side here, 2) just as mercurial and controlling as rumored and 3) pays no attention to this thread or any polls in which like-minded individuals participate.

Well put. And I think outside of the hardcore businessy types, those features are really lost on the everday person. My girlfriend has a Dell Axim, and it was really fun to write with a stylus and put my to-do list in and put stuff into the calendar. Two weeks later, I pulled it out to play a game of Solitaire then turned it back off.

I KNOW this isn't what Apple intends, and by doing this, they'd alienate the market they worked so hard to gain over, which are casual users who don't know much about technology (which is why they stick with PC--comfort, not active choice).

Manic Mouse
Aug 19, 2006, 09:45 AM
I really hope the iPod doesn't go down the line of convergence/frankenstein/jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none. It's a solid music player and it's main priority should be as such.

Why do you assume that because a hypothetical MYLO iPod would be able to play videos, IM and go on the net that somehow itunes would be any worse than it already is?

The MP3 market has been saturated for a while now. There's only so much you can do in it, and so much you can do to improve listening to music. I'm on a 4G iPod, and have not been inclined in the slightest to upgrade to either a photo or a video iPod because my music will sound exactly the same on both and the extras they offer simply aren't up to scratch. Apple have done pretty much all they can with listening to music, except perhaps music sharing via WiFi (which very few will use anyway). If they don't move forward and innovate iPod sales will stagnate, people who want one will have already bought one and with no new features worth mentioning why would they buy a new one that will make minimal difference to what they can do with their iPod? I can already listen to music on my current iPod, if Apple want me to upgrade they'll have to offer something much more. The same is true of the majority of iPod users.

The reason the iPod is the success it is today is because it revolutionised the market before it was established. They have to opportunity to do the same here with the kind of device MYLO hints is possible. Or they can do what you are proposing and offer nothing new and fall behind their competitors.

In my experience with work colleagues and parents/in-laws the iPod is almost bordering on being too difficult as it is just with just music and video.

Technophobes are a rare beast these days, and will become even rarer in the future. If they can use a computer, which is many many times more complicated than an iPod or MYLO, then I don't see the problem. The whole "lets not make things complicated" drive actually pisses me off because computers are so damn easy to use today. Of course, I'm very doubtful that technophobes are the primary market for iPods anyway.

Adding slide-out keyboards, larger/deeper navigation menus, wifi connections, and email configuration would probably push it over the edge as far as being too technologically intimidating for most.

Just like the mobile phone market, right? Adding cameras, bluetooth, large navigation menus, email, games, internet has really put a dent in mobile phone sales. People want mobile phones that do nothing but phone, not frankenstien-jack-of-all-trades devices.

Not to mention the size sacrifice.

I would imagine a MYLO iPod would be about the size of a 4G iPod, taking into acount the added thinkness due to the slide out keyboard. That size is more than small enough to fit in pretty much every pocket and fits nicely in your hand, so is there a need for it to be any smaller?

Devices like the MYLO are the only possible evolution of the MP3-player market. In 10 years stand-alone devices like the iPod will be dead. Why have a Batman-esque utility belt of gadgets when you can have one do it all (and just as well)?

I sincerely hope you're wrong about apple's thinking on this. The iPod should be a pure machine. Maybe a few add-ons, improvements, limited added functionality over time - but it's an MP3 player. The best there is. Don't F with that.

If Apple do that then iPod sales will die whenever their competitors are offer all the other services along with an MP3 player. Apple isn't about conservatisim and playing it safe, the reason the iPod was a success was precisely the opposite: innovation.

"Pure" machines are a dying breed, there are very few around these days. Consoles, computers and mobile phones have all shown that the more you offer the better you sell and that "pure" machines are soon to be extinct.

And apb3, what you're describing in the chocolate and PSP is NOT a QWERTY keyboard. Look at the youtube video of the MYLO.

apb3
Aug 19, 2006, 10:38 AM
If Apple do that then iPod sales will die whenever their competitors are offer all the other services along with an MP3 player. Apple isn't about conservatisim and playing it safe, the reason the iPod was a success was precisely the opposite: innovation.

"Pure" machines are a dying breed, there are very few around these days. Consoles, computers and mobile phones have all shown that the more you offer the better you sell and that "pure" machines are soon to be extinct.

And apb3, what you're describing in the chocolate and PSP is NOT a QWERTY keyboard. Look at the youtube video of the MYLO.

Never actually held the chocolate, just saw the TV ad. But you know what I mean and you cannot possible say that they are easy inpurt methods for even moderately extended use. Or are you? But, in any case, thanks for putting me straight on that.

The iPod would continue to sell "pure" (and I know I'm being contradictory as my original 1Gen iPod is a much different machine than my vid iPod but we're talking of the iPod as a basic walkman-type device) as there will always be demand for a music/media player at a fairly reasonably price. Either through attrition, improvements to current features (bigger screens, easier input methods, color screens, longer battery life, new battery types, etc) there will ALWAYS be demand for the iPod.

Using your reasoning, why not add all these features and more to every TV on the market cuz, "Hey, pure machines are going to be extinct soon. Everybody has a TV so we're not going to be selling any more pretty soon... Let's add keyboards and webcams to the remotes. make 'em with wireless net access, hell, throw in Vista and a dock for the refrigerator to show you how much beer is left so you don't have to get up!!!" That's not what happens. Improvements come and are incorporated and even stick around if people like them or are weeded out in the next model. But those improvements are all related to the TV viewing experience. Remember webTV? and that was only offered as a separate add-on if memory serves.

You can innovate wothout mucking about with a winner by adding a battery draining, mostly useless "feature(s)" to the best selling media device in the world. No one is going to jump ship because they can't control their dishwasher from their iPod interface. If apple feels there is a market for what some members of this forum are calling for and said market is large enough the smart move seems to me to be a new device along with that device's new profit stream, limit it's ability to cannibalize your other products in any large way. You get the idea. You don't need to make the iPod the be-all end-all device. In fact, I think if you did, you'd lose market share to other devices without the bloat.

And the argument that no one wants a "utility belt" with a million devices each dedicated to one function just doesn't hold water with me. I carry a lot of gear. A laptop, a comm device of some sort and my iPod would do anything I need to do as a civilian back in the world. Obviously I carry much more here as I have the desire to make it back to the real world but that's not what the real market is.

But maybe I'm the oddd man out in this argument. I hope not but I have ben wrong once or twice. My wife says so.

MacPhyle
Aug 19, 2006, 11:29 PM
Regardless of what Bluetooth will be meant for on the iPod -- Sirius, transmission to Bluetooth headphones, or just syncing with Bluetooth Macs -- what I'm looking forward to is a bigger screen. I think Bluetooth is a logical step since iMacs now have Bluetooth built in, but I don't expect iPods to go Bluetooth until at least 2 more major upgrades. First the larger screen, then Bluetooth, maybe. I am just crossing my fingers that when Apple does put Bluetooth in iPods, they don't eliminate other means of connectivity. Keep iPods compatible with non-Bluetooth Macs, Apple, please!

herenow
Aug 20, 2006, 06:29 AM
im conisdering buying a 4gb nano tomorrow - however, i hear there could be an update coming soon: does anybody know when?

Manic Mouse
Aug 20, 2006, 06:44 AM
But you know what I mean and you cannot possible say that they are easy inpurt methods for even moderately extended use. Or are you?

I'm getting a little confused, are you trying to say keyboards are not easy input methods? QWERTY keyboards are FULL keyboards like the ones you and I are using to type in these forums. I completely agree with you that phone/PSP-esque multi-press solutions are not good for extended use, which is why I think the MYLO is such a good example of what can be done with a "portable WiFi" device because it has a full keyboard.

The iPod would continue to sell "pure" (and I know I'm being contradictory as my original 1Gen iPod is a much different machine than my vid iPod but we're talking of the iPod as a basic walkman-type device) as there will always be demand for a music/media player at a fairly reasonably price. Either through attrition, improvements to current features (bigger screens, easier input methods, color screens, longer battery life, new battery types, etc) there will ALWAYS be demand for the iPod.

As you point out, the current iPod isn't a "pure" machine either. Apple have realised that they have to continually offer new things and more functionality to continue to sell and tempt existing customers to upgrade. As a music player my 4G iPod is more than sufficient: It has a nice enough size, decent enough battery life, 40Gb of space and music will not sound any better no matter how bigger the screen is. If the iPod is only to be a "pure" walkman then there is no reason for me to ever buy a new iPod unless it breaks, which is bad for Apple. Apple realise this, and validate my point by adding extra features to the iPod like photo and video support. Things like a web browser, IM etc are also just natural evolutions of the device.

Using your reasoning, why not add all these features and more to every TV on the market cuz, "Hey, pure machines are going to be extinct soon. Everybody has a TV so we're not going to be selling any more pretty soon... Let's add keyboards and webcams to the remotes. make 'em with wireless net access, hell, throw in Vista and a dock for the refrigerator to show you how much beer is left so you don't have to get up!!!" That's not what happens. Improvements come and are incorporated and even stick around if people like them or are weeded out in the next model. But those improvements are all related to the TV viewing experience. Remember webTV? and that was only offered as a separate add-on if memory serves.

Actually that's exactly what's happening. TV's now are having HDD's built in, PC's are having media centre's built in. Here in the UK, with the BBC, the difference between TV and computer are being blurred. A few minutes ago I watched a TV show on this computer steamed from the BBC.

You can innovate wothout mucking about with a winner by adding a battery draining

Well all the things I'm proposing are software, not hardware, features. So they should have minimal effect on battery life. The new iPod will have a large screen and WiFi regardless of whether it can surf the net/IM/email, and those are the battery draining features.

If apple feels there is a market for what some members of this forum are calling for and said market is large enough the smart move seems to me to be a new device along with that device's new profit stream, limit it's ability to cannibalize your other products in any large way. You get the idea. You don't need to make the iPod the be-all end-all device. In fact, I think if you did, you'd lose market share to other devices without the bloat.

But that is exactly what Apple are doing: When the ipod launched it was nothing more than an MP3 player yet the current iPods are evolving into the "be-all-and-end-all" device I'm suggesting: They play games, they have a calander, they show notes, they play videos, they display photos. Has Apple lost market share by offering these things? Or would they have lost market share if they had not offered them?

And precisely what other Apple product sales would a MYLO iPod cannibalise? What competing product does Apple offer?

And the argument that no one wants a "utility belt" with a million devices each dedicated to one function just doesn't hold water with me. I carry a lot of gear. A laptop, a comm device of some sort and my iPod would do anything I need to do as a civilian back in the world. Obviously I carry much more here as I have the desire to make it back to the real world but that's not what the real market is.

Like I said in my previous post, the mobile phone market (and what Apple have done with added functionality to the iPod) shows the exact opposite trend. I'd much rather have a MYLO iPod than cart a laptop and an iPod around with me EVERYWHERE I go.

But maybe I'm the oddd man out in this argument. I hope not but I have ben wrong once or twice. My wife says so.

Women are always right. Or so my mother tells me... :p

I don't believe that the next iPod will be a MYLO-esque device, but eventually it will offer all that functionality.

apb3
Aug 20, 2006, 09:26 AM
I'm getting a little confused, are you trying to say keyboards are not easy input methods? QWERTY keyboards are FULL keyboards like the ones you and I are using to type in these forums. I completely agree with you that phone/PSP-esque multi-press solutions are not good for extended use, which is why I think the MYLO is such a good example of what can be done with a "portable WiFi" device because it has a full keyboard.

Actually, no. The only thing that makes a keyboard "QWERTY" is the Q being next to the W next to the.... you get the idea. There are "Full-Sized" QWERTY keyboards and smaller ones likie the one for my old Newton. Every definition I checked online this afternoon says nothing about a size at which an identically laid out keyboard becomes QWERTY and under which it is something else.

As you point out, the current iPod isn't a "pure" machine either. Apple have realised that they have to continually offer new things and more functionality to continue to sell and tempt existing customers to upgrade. As a music player my 4G iPod is more than sufficient: It has a nice enough size, decent enough battery life, 40Gb of space and music will not sound any better no matter how bigger the screen is. If the iPod is only to be a "pure" walkman then there is no reason for me to ever buy a new iPod unless it breaks, which is bad for Apple. Apple realise this, and validate my point by adding extra features to the iPod like photo and video support. Things like a web browser, IM etc are also just natural evolutions of the device.

Actually that's exactly what's happening. TV's now are having HDD's built in, PC's are having media centre's built in. Here in the UK, with the BBC, the difference between TV and computer are being blurred. A few minutes ago I watched a TV show on this computer steamed from the BBC.

Well all the things I'm proposing are software, not hardware, features. So they should have minimal effect on battery life. The new iPod will have a large screen and WiFi regardless of whether it can surf the net/IM/email, and those are the battery draining features.

But that is exactly what Apple are doing: When the ipod launched it was nothing more than an MP3 player yet the current iPods are evolving into the "be-all-and-end-all" device I'm suggesting: They play games, they have a calander, they show notes, they play videos, they display photos. Has Apple lost market share by offering these things? Or would they have lost market share if they had not offered them?

And precisely what other Apple product sales would a MYLO iPod cannibalise? What competing product does Apple offer?

Like I said in my previous post, the mobile phone market (and what Apple have done with added functionality to the iPod) shows the exact opposite trend. I'd much rather have a MYLO iPod than cart a laptop and an iPod around with me EVERYWHERE I go.

Women are always right. Or so my mother tells me... :p

I don't believe that the next iPod will be a MYLO-esque device, but eventually it will offer all that functionality.

I'll agree to disagree with you. I don;t think we need to go on and on saying the same things. I think my points stand on their own and I'm sure you feel yours do as well. What's that quote about opinions?

ingenious
Aug 20, 2006, 02:39 PM

I think a better idea is just a listing of what others around you are listening to. You can choose (by using the (->) button like in iTunes) to look it up and either buy it or listen to a preview.

kfenerty
Aug 21, 2006, 01:43 AM
you might look knda retarded walking down the street with wirless headohnes people will think your nuts... and wouldnt the traditinal "iPod Headphones" fall out...:rolleyes:

Zwhaler
Aug 21, 2006, 12:35 PM
Yeah, if the Zune can't even play videos, what makes anyone think it will be even nearly competable with the next iPod? I think that either the Zune is gonna suck, or they are gonna surprise with an honestly good music player.

t0mat0
Aug 31, 2006, 07:51 AM
...why do you want the wireless? I have seen one (maybe two) ideas that caught my eye; but not enough too change my opinion on the negative cost/benefit impact including wireless as envisioned by many here would have on my beloved device.

Blue sky on wireless? Think a device which works out presence of others, and can connect safely.

Imagine being able to *share* (not stream, but share) your tunes with others on a "I'm interested in your... can I share/get that from you).

Being on the tube/commuting for ~ 1 1/2 hours a day or so and seeing >6 ipods through glancing for white buds alone, the possiblities are huge.

What are net connections used mostly for (in terms of Mb up/down) It's P2P. There wouldn't be any roaming charges, any peak rates. You could do it in a lecture room, whilst you were studying, or having coffee with friends (sharing tunes, rather than listening )

Think one big interacting social darknet :D Think virality without PC's needed.
Someone has a cool tune, and it could replicate exponentially!

For more benefits: Linking up to USB wireless receiver chips - you can wireless move files to/from PC.

Hands free driving - using changeable function paddles/butons on the steeering wheel. Hell - You could have a HUD of iTunes on a car soon (or at the very least, hook it up to those screens in the back of those orrible 4x4s )

In terms of illegal possibilities, think discogs. The amount of music you'll bump into increases a lot, so the rarer stuff might be out there. You could strike up a friendship with someone who had say, the entire back catalogue of (insert your fave band/movie/TV series). People could be walking lossless discographies of current artists. A discog of an artist is at most probably under 10Gig, so for a >60Gig player...

Who needs radio when you can stream? You could get it to actively hunt for a MP3 id tag genre - rock/pop, or highly rated artists. You could have the function to hunt for certain artists/songs...

apb3
Aug 31, 2006, 10:12 AM
Blue sky on wireless? Think a device which works out presence of others, and can connect safely.

Imagine being able to *share* (not stream, but share) your tunes with others on a "I'm interested in your... can I share/get that from you).

This goes beyond fair use and would not be legal. Just because I buy a song or CD, movie whatever does not mean I can give it to all my friends. I'm sure you didn't mean that

If you want to use up all your authorized machines (what is it? 5 now?) for a few friends to listen to a few songs every once in a while - I guess that would be arguably OK, but I think it would still go beyond fair use rules.

Being on the tube/commuting for ~ 1 1/2 hours a day or so and seeing >6 ipods through glancing for white buds alone, the possiblities are huge.

What are net connections used mostly for (in terms of Mb up/down) It's P2P. There wouldn't be any roaming charges, any peak rates. You could do it in a lecture room, whilst you were studying, or having coffee with friends (sharing tunes, rather than listening )

Think one big interacting social darknet :D Think virality without PC's needed.
Someone has a cool tune, and it could replicate exponentially!

For more benefits: Linking up to USB wireless receiver chips - you can wireless move files to/from PC.

Hands free driving - using changeable function paddles/butons on the steeering wheel. Hell - You could have a HUD of iTunes on a car soon (or at the very least, hook it up to those screens in the back of those orrible 4x4s )

In terms of illegal possibilities, think discogs. The amount of music you'll bump into increases a lot, so the rarer stuff might be out there. You could strike up a friendship with someone who had say, the entire back catalogue of (insert your fave band/movie/TV series). People could be walking lossless discographies of current artists. A discog of an artist is at most probably under 10Gig, so for a >60Gig player...

Who needs radio when you can stream? You could get it to actively hunt for a MP3 id tag genre - rock/pop, or highly rated artists. You could have the function to hunt for certain artists/songs...

All this still does not tip the scales in terms of cost/benefit. Wireless will eat up your battery. It will be clumsy and frustrating (I would really hate for the new Streets single to break off midway through because iPod girl gets off at her stop or walks out of range). Also, I would not be thrilled adding drain to my battery by engaging sharing/wireless just so a bunch of strangers can mooch off of me. If my friend wants to listen to a song I have there are many ways he can do so without adding cost to the iPod and my time by having to charge the iPod all the time to make it possible in the first place

As for wireless sync... why? My god man, if we've come to the point where putting the iPod in its base is too difficult, we're screwed. Maybe there'd be the odd time when you forgot your cable or dock on a trip but that should be a rare enough occurence. If you find you always forget your cables, get an extra. You're also not addressing that you'd need that cable or dock for charging anyway (especially since you're going to be using that wireless feature to kill your battery much more quickly).

The chance that someone with an iPod (who also happens to be willing to kill their battery for my enjoyment) will be in range long enough for me to enjoy a few x-ray specks or spacemen 3 tracks are, in my opinion, close to nil.

The car options using wireless make some degree of sense (you'd be able to charge the unit by the cig lighter at least), but this seems better addressed by car/stereo makers. They're already doing it. Theree are also adapters for sale that do this.

I don't have all I need yet in this area but hooking my iPod up to the charger/FM transmitter I have let's me use the steering wheel controls for everything except the menu/scrolling bits (I know that's a big thing but I've got it set up so the iPod in it's charger/transmitter is right next to my knee and easier to manipulate than a cell phone and no harder than using the controls on the radio that are not available on the steering column). The HUD would be cool, though, and would make me a safer driver... I always wanted a HUD for my car. I think Cadillac actually had a model with an optional HUD for the main instrument panel items a while back. I wonder why more auto makers don't do this... or do they and I am just ignorant?

All in all, I just don't see enough good in adding wireless (of whatever kind) to the iPod to justify it. Now, a non-iPod (new) product that had wireless with a limited music/photo/video feature set (iPhone?, iBerry?) might be on the horizon. That wouldn't be bad as it would give those you feel the same as you the option to get their much needed "wireless," while letting others enjoy the most elegant, easy to use media player on the market without the bloat.

dsnort
Aug 31, 2006, 08:45 PM
It seems like there is so many iPod ideas floating around. Full video iPod, wireless iPod, iPhone. Why not put it all into one machine. I mean it is Apple. They can do what they want.

I have said this same thing before. An iPhone in the vein of a Treo or Blackberry, utilizing some of the Newton tech, that is also a video iPod! Call it a DLA, (Digital Life Appliance).