Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Danksi said:
I couldn't care less if it were draped in gold banners, you still walk out the door with a DELL!

That's the thing...you don't walk out the door with anything except maybe the receipt for the machine you had to order online, if they'll even let you do that from the store. (From the review, it looks like you can't even do that.)

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
WildCowboy said:
That's the thing...you don't walk out the door with anything except maybe the receipt for the machine you had to order online, if they'll even let you do that from the store. (From the review, it looks like you can't even do that.)

Seems like a waste of time.

golie3030

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
Waste of time

I agree... why what's the point of going into a store if you can't walk out of there with anything? Maybe I'm missing something...

maxrobertson

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2006
Jakarta
Danksi said:
I couldn't care less if it were draped in gold banners, you still only walk out the door with a DELL!

EDIT: Having read the article I see you don't actually walk out of the DELL store with anything!

And that's the main reason it's going to fail. Wasn't there a Gateway store before that died for that very reason?

opik

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2005
Cupertino, CA
ha! another copy stunt...just because it worked for apple, doesn't mean it will work for imitators. looks like dell is going desperate; the amount of tv commercials they now have is exhaustive

Dr.Gargoyle

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2004
lat: 55.7222°N, long: 13.1971°E
Hmmm...
I do understand the reason for Apple stores. People can here see how beautiful all Apple products are and explore OSX for themselves so they realize how superior OSX is compared to Windows.
Dell stores? Cheap black grey boxes suffering blue screen of death???
I really think it would be in Dells best interest to display their products as little as possible before people actually got ripped off.
When I think of it, Steve Jobs might have tipped off Michael Dell and persuaded him that opening retail stores was a brilliant idea. If that is so, I think he forgot to tell Dell it would be a brilliant idea for Apple... well well

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
maxrobertson said:
And that's the main reason it's going to fail. Wasn't there a Gateway store before that died for that very reason?

I think you could actually walk out of the Gateway stores with a machine though I'm sure most of their configs had to be done online. I think their stores failed because they stuck them anywhere and everywhere. One reason Apple's are succeeding is because they are picking the RIGHT locations not just a location with an opening. There was never a Gateway store on Mich. Ave in Chicago or in SoHo/5th Ave. I'm sure the bean counters said it was too expensive or some crap. Well, you gotta spend money to make money.

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
I think that it's important for Dell not to actually sell anything. At least, if my thinking is correct here (I'm not completely familiar with tax laws). Since Dell maintains advantage by cutting costs and shipping direct, building stores would be counterproductive. Also, by selling products in the store, I think that means that customers in the same state as the store have to pay tax on Dell products sold online.

Again, I'm not sure on this, but that would be my shot in the dark.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
WildCowboy said:
Yeah, you can do that much, at least that's how their little kiosks work. What they don't have is a do-it-yourself configuration setup, you go through a salescritter. If the new showrooms have Internet access, dell.com would seem to have that part covered anyway.

aviationwiz

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2005
What good is a brick and mortar store if you can't walk out with the product you want?

That gives customers too much time between sale and delivery to change their mind because they realize what a crappy machine they've ordered.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
maxrobertson said:

Haha, that's (the Gateway Store) where I bought the PC I am using now!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.