PDA

View Full Version : Lions Gate Films Tips Off About iTunes Movie Downloads

MacRumors
Aug 17, 2006, 02:34 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

MacNN notes (http://www.macnn.com/articles/06/08/17/itunes.movie.store.soon/) that Lions Gate Films has tipped Apple's hat to the existance of upcoming availability of feature-length films available for purchase/download through iTunes.

Steve Beeks, President of Lions Gate, stated:
"In terms of iTunes movie downloads, I think most likely some time before the end of the year. We know when they are planning on launching, but since they have not announced it publicly, I do not think it is our place to say anything more about that. Calendar year."

The iTunes Music Store currently doesn't offer any full-length movies for purchase/download, with minor exceptions to some full-length content available via ShowTime.

SteveRichardson
Aug 17, 2006, 02:37 PM
So he told us something we weren't supposed to know?

Lions Gate movies are good.

hyperpasta
Aug 17, 2006, 02:38 PM
Nice one.

Of course, we already knew, but it's good to see confirmation and know that there will be some indie content on there. My bet: October, and definitely alongside a new video iPod.

EDIT: As opposed to a new iPod nano.

DavidLeblond
Aug 17, 2006, 02:41 PM
Stick a "Burn to DVD" button on it or else it would be utterly useless to me... my desk chair is comfortable but not "watch a movie" comfortable

Mudbug
Aug 17, 2006, 02:41 PM
So apparently Mr. Beeks has a new person on his list to avoid at the Christmas party. It'll be interesting to see Apple's response to this, if there is one.

MacVault
Aug 17, 2006, 02:44 PM
So apparently Mr. Beeks has a new person on his list to avoid at the Christmas party. It'll be interesting to see Apple's response to this, if there is one.

Apple's response will be to delay the movie download service for about 1 year just to make it look like Steve Beeks didn't know what he's talking about.

I hope I'm wrong about that.

EricNau
Aug 17, 2006, 02:44 PM
I hope Apple isn't going to sell these movies at the same quality as their current video downloads.

As of now, the only thing they are good for are iPods; on a computer screen it looks terrible.

sosumi99
Aug 17, 2006, 02:47 PM
Are people as outraged by this leak as I am? I can't believe it. He just stole Steve's thunder at a later secret event. This will end up costing Apple the element of surprise and the impact of a special Steve announcement. We've got to punish Lion's Gate somehow. We need to boycott all of their films and show that they cannot mess with Apple. The mothership is under attack! Who's with me? :mad:

rosalindavenue
Aug 17, 2006, 02:48 PM
Apple's response will be to delay the movie download service for about 1 year just to make it look like Steve Beeks didn't know what he's talking about.

I hope I'm wrong about that.

No, you're right-- it'll be remembered as the "asteroid" of 2006.

lOUDsCREAMEr
Aug 17, 2006, 02:50 PM
Steve VS Steve
:rolleyes:

thejadedmonkey
Aug 17, 2006, 02:53 PM
Unless the iTunes Movie store is launched alongside a new iPod, I quite frankly don't care. And if a new iPod is launched, I'll be upset because my friend just got a new one for back-to-college shopping. and if all we get are more rumors..well they get old. hmmm... maybe I just don't care anymore.

tangent: Has anyone seen the pic of the Zune that was just leaked? it looks... butt ugly and iPod wannabe.

eme jota ce
Aug 17, 2006, 02:53 PM
I'll use this if it offers new releases. Look out Netflix.

When combined with Front Row, (YouTube and other entertaining media streams) and EyeTV via the Miglia TVmini HD, this makes a great addition to the Mac Mini as entertainment cetner. :D

nagromme
Aug 17, 2006, 02:56 PM
Rental via download: yes!

Purchase: no!

If I want to own, I want the disc. Burning answers that mostly, but a nice box set is still preferred.

But the point is, I seldom WANT to own. It's not like music. I seldom want to watch the same movie again. So let me rent--at a price that's low enough to be reasonable at whatever quality they deliver.

If quality is sub-DVD, the price had better be sub-Netflix and the selection had better be great. (Which is unlikely to happen quickly--but eventually.) Convenience/instant gratification do add some value, but I won't compromise too much on quality. (iTunes TV shows are OK quality for a missed episode, not good enough to collect and keep. For me.)

So I hope Steve Jobs gets over his no-rental mindset on this.

narco
Aug 17, 2006, 02:57 PM
Now watch: Apple will introduce the iTunes movie store this year, but Lions Gate films will be missing.

Fishes,
narco.

theheadguy
Are people as outraged by this leak as I am? I can't believe it. He just stole Steve's thunder at a later secret event. This will end up costing Apple the element of surprise and the impact of a special Steve announcement. We've got to punish Lion's Gate somehow. We need to boycott all of their films and show that they cannot mess with Apple. The mothership is under attack! Who's with me? :mad:
Whoa there buddy. First off, if he is under NDA then he wouldn't have said it. But if he said it while under NDA then Apple will get him and doesn't need a bunch of people flipping out on behalf of Steve. I'm sure he thinks it's cute but he can do without it. Secondly, if he knows about this and is not under NDA, then it's Apple's fault.

PDubNYC

God, I can only hope you are alone. He hardly said anything we didn't know. So you go ahead and punish Lion's Gate if you want to, and if your mom will let you, but I am just happy to hear of some progress in this arena.

CEAbiscuit
Aug 17, 2006, 02:58 PM
Unless the iTunes Movie store is launched alongside a new iPod, I quite frankly don't care.

Amen. Since getting a plasma, I can't watch movies in anything other that 16:9. Hoping that's part of a new release in Paris. I'm probably alone on this, but it's my .02

vniow
Aug 17, 2006, 03:00 PM
I'll only go for it if it meets these criteria:

1. Able to burn to DVD (songs have this option for CD, why no movies?)
2. A Netflix-esque rental style along with full-on purchases
3. At least DVD quality.

If none of these are met (except for the first, I could live without but its nice to have the option) I'm sticking with the options which already exist and keeping my Netflix subscription.

GFLPraxis
Aug 17, 2006, 03:02 PM

I'm going to smile and assume this is sarcasm and a joke :)

If it's not...wow.

eva01
Aug 17, 2006, 03:02 PM
I can't get excited for this, because i like having a disk, all the extras on it and in the case. And i highly doubt anime will be on it.

GFLPraxis
Aug 17, 2006, 03:03 PM
Make it DVD quality and allow the option of burning it to a DVD and I'm there. :D

Haven't bought any TV shows, but if I could burn it to a DVD, I would probably buy some movies.

dizastor
Aug 17, 2006, 03:08 PM
August 17, 2006 Cupertino, CA: In a surprise press release late this afternoon Apple Computer announced it's purchase of Lions Gate Films. Without delay, former President Steven Beeks was removed from his position placed in shackles, stripped to his boxer shorts and displayed prominently of the official "Apple Ridicule Platform" located conveniently in the parking lot at 1 Infinite Loop. Steve Jobs was unavailable for comment, but was seen laughing, choking down a small bowl of low calorie pescaterian chowder.

Tanglewood
Aug 17, 2006, 03:09 PM
I know they have free music and tv downloads. I think it would be cool to have a free movie download of maybe indie films or film classics because other than the free tv downloads I rarely buy any shows on iTunes since I don't have a video iPod.

And in the same vein as other posts I see this launching with an iPod update. My guess early November.

sosumi99
Aug 17, 2006, 03:12 PM
God, I can only hope you are alone. He hardly said anything we didn't know. So you go ahead and punish Lion's Gate if you want to, and if your mom will let you, but I am just happy to hear of some progress in this arena.

Ad feminam attacks aside, I think you may be underestimating the damage this kind of leak will do to Apple. Competitors now have confirmation of Apple's plans and can push for competing deals to be negotiated so that their stores can come out at the same time as Apple's. The leak is an attempt by Lion's Gate to bring more competition into an area that Apple is blazing the trail for. All Mac users should defend Apple and do whatever we can to help the mothership.

amac4me
Aug 17, 2006, 03:13 PM
I wonder how mad Steve is right now.

Squonk
Aug 17, 2006, 03:16 PM
Now watch: Apple will introduce the iTunes movie store this year, but Lions Gate films will be missing.

Fishes,
narco.

Didn't Apple drop some flash memory provider over a similar statement before the Shuffle was announced?

nah nah, nah
nah nah, nah
Lions Gate, good bye

Benjamin
Aug 17, 2006, 03:19 PM

Fishes,
narco.

tee heheheehehe.

Stridder44
Aug 17, 2006, 03:22 PM
WHOA iTunes movie store Who didn't see that one coming!??!? :rolleyes:

In the news tomorrow:

Lions Gate unexpecadly files for chapter 11 bankruptcy. Disney/Pixar decide to take the company under their wing.

"Lions Gate's entertainment has always brought smiles to consumers, and we would hate to see this trend cease to be," stated Disney Representitive.

AvSRoCkCO1067
Aug 17, 2006, 03:22 PM
Unless the iTunes Movie store is launched alongside a new iPod, I quite frankly don't care. And if a new iPod is launched, I'll be upset because my friend just got a new one for back-to-college shopping. and if all we get are more rumors..well they get old. hmmm... maybe I just don't care anymore.

tangent: Has anyone seen the pic of the Zune that was just leaked? it looks... butt ugly and iPod wannabe.

I know this doesn't have much to do with the conversation - but do you have a link to that Zune picture, by any chance?

JoshH
Aug 17, 2006, 03:26 PM
August 17, 2006 Cupertino, CA: In a surprise press release late this afternoon Apple Computer announced it's purchase of Lions Gate Films. Without delay, former President Steven Beeks was removed from his position placed in shackles, stripped to his boxer shorts and displayed prominently of the official "Apple Ridicule Platform" located conveniently in the parking lot at 1 Infinite Loop. Steve Jobs was unavailable for comment, but was seen laughing, choking down a small bowl of low calorie pescaterian chowder.

... the official "Apple Ridicule Platform."

He, he. But I thought the platform was in the aquarium attached to Steve's office? :confused: :p

Macnoviz
Aug 17, 2006, 03:28 PM
... the official "Apple Ridicule Platform."

He, he. But I thought the platform was in the aquarium attached to Steve's office? :confused: :p

It's on top of the 5th avenue Cube

iMikeT
Aug 17, 2006, 03:36 PM
What ever the case is with a movie service and/or a new iPod being released, I can't wait.

I've been holding out buying a 5G iPod...

Compatiblepoker
Aug 17, 2006, 03:37 PM
Im still not too enthused about the whole rental thing.

nsjoker
Aug 17, 2006, 03:37 PM
worst. kept. secret. ever.
OMg!! movie store coming Soon!?!? no Way!!11one!1

:rolleyes:

Yahgo
Aug 17, 2006, 03:38 PM
I personally have about 500 DVDs sitting in my office on the wall, and the only ones I or anyone else "re-watches" over and over again is animation films, such as Toy Story, Finding Nemo, etc, because kids will sit and watch cartoons over and over again and not get sick of them. I will be happy if all they do is allow rental downloads, then I will cancel my membership with Blockbuster and their $20 a month fee. Here is my "wish list" for Apple on this Movie Store.

1) Open a movie section on itunes with at least 2K movies in content, ready to download and rent for $2.99 - $4.99 (have a fixed price, but no more then $4.99) to be viewed for unlimited times in 1 week. Instead of waiting for it to download completely, have it stream to the TV (through mac mini or new video airport express) with a good enough buffer that doesn't interrupt the movie. While you are watching it or not, continue to download to the HD so you can transfer it to an iPod to watch later or take to a friends house, on a plane, in the car, etc.

2) Movies must be better quality then current TV Shows!

3) Release the Widescreen Video iPod with 60GB and 120GB and better battery life and screen.

4) Release a Mac Mini the have Tivo capability, frontrow "style" movie store that you can access and rent movies from across the room, and a huge HD between 250GB – 500GB so you can import your current DVD collection. This would be my strategy if I was apple. And I know some people on here are screaming that they want to burn it to a disc, but simply ask yourself how many times have I watched the last movie I bought? Once! Maybe twice when you had to share your new found favorite movie with your friends or family. The movies you are going to want to buy, you will go to Wal-Mart and buy them for $15 each, then import them into the new mac mini!

PDubNYC
Aug 17, 2006, 03:40 PM
Ad feminam attacks aside, I think you may be underestimating the damage this kind of leak will do to Apple. Competitors now have confirmation of Apple's plans and can push for competing deals to be negotiated so that their stores can come out at the same time as Apple's. The leak is an attempt by Lion's Gate to bring more competition into an area that Apple is blazing the trail for. All Mac users should defend Apple and do whatever we can to help the mothership.

Honestly, you are the type of Mac user that makes me embarrassed to be a Mac fan. "The Mothership"? Are you even f'n kidding me? It's a corporation. And if you don't think that competitors have a very good idea of where these deals stand, then you are in need of an eye-opener. It is the consumers who are in the dark, not the industry.

That's all I can say. I will continue on using the Mac platform, and telling those around me what I see are the pluses of it, but you will never see me take things to the level you have, with a battlecry to come to the aid of a large company that certainly doesn't need our help in dealing with a movie company. Good luck to you.

Stella
Aug 17, 2006, 03:42 PM
No doubt this will be usa only...

... no wonder Apple has such a bad market share around the world, less than 45% of its market is from non usa countries. Thats pretty bad.

Stella
Aug 17, 2006, 03:43 PM
I hope your joking... otherwise, you seriously need to get a life.

aswitcher
Aug 17, 2006, 03:43 PM
4) Release a Mac Mini the have Tivo capability, frontrow "style" movie store that you can access and rent movies from across the room, and a huge HD between 250GB – 500GB so you can import your current DVD collection. This would be my strategy if I was apple. And I know some people on here are screaming that they want to burn it to a disc, but simply ask yourself how many times have I watched the last movie I bought? Once! Maybe twice when you had to share your new found favorite movie with your friends or family. The movies you are going to want to buy, you will go to Wal-Mart and buy them for $15 each, then import them into the new mac mini!

New Mac mini would be better being a much larger beast with twin HDD (To take advantage of Bootcamp and/or Time Machine), faster burner, a graphics card of some repute, and a coupleof expansion slots for tuners etc.

quigleybc
Aug 17, 2006, 03:44 PM
i didn't even think this was a big secret....

Of course they are gonna put movies on the ITMS....

The question is....are any of us going to care?

Like you've all already stated...

It needs to be HIGH quality, Burnable to a DVD, come with some kind of serial # so that if it gets corrupted or erased, it can be downloaded again at least once...Rentable, and Buyable....ect. ect..

There are just too many things that this "movie store" will need to offer to make this really popular.

Analog Kid
Aug 17, 2006, 03:45 PM
Rental via download: yes!

Purchase: no!

If I want to own, I want the disc. Burning answers that mostly, but a nice box set is still preferred.

But the point is, I seldom WANT to own. It's not like music. I seldom want to watch the same movie again. So let me rent--at a price that's low enough to be reasonable at whatever quality they deliver.

If quality is sub-DVD, the price had better be sub-Netflix and the selection had better be great. (Which is unlikely to happen quickly--but eventually.) Convenience/instant gratification do add some value, but I won't compromise too much on quality. (iTunes TV shows are OK quality for a missed episode, not good enough to collect and keep. For me.)

So I hope Steve Jobs gets over his no-rental mindset on this.

Put me up for own at rental prices. Bury Blockbuster, Hollywood Videos and Netflix.

Store bought DVDs are about as low in price as they can get given manufacturing, shipping, warehousing-- which is why a $4 rental can survive. Digital distribution can get the cost to own to that same price point (or below) and the studios get a payment from every viewer. Win-win-win as far as I can tell.

Ted13
Aug 17, 2006, 03:50 PM
I'll only go for it if it meets these criteria:

1. Able to burn to DVD (songs have this option for CD, why no movies?)
2. A Netflix-esque rental style along with full-on purchases
3. At least DVD quality.

Number 3 is the crucial one. If they offer full HD quality (1080P) they can kill off the stupid Blu-ray/HD-DVD format war before it ever starts. They could use it to sell masive amounts of Apple branded HDTV capable Apple Cinema Displays as well as Intel Macs to be HTPCs. They could sell massive amounts of storage as well if they go into the external disk drive business.

Vidd
Aug 17, 2006, 04:23 PM
Number 3 is the crucial one. If they offer full HD quality (1080P) they can kill off the stupid Blu-ray/HD-DVD format war before it ever starts. They could use it to sell masive amounts of Apple branded HDTV capable Apple Cinema Displays as well as Intel Macs to be HTPCs. They could sell massive amounts of storage as well if they go into the external disk drive business.

Considering a 3:13 clip is 255 MB on the Quicktime part of the site, I doubt that it is a viable option. That would end up as around 5GB for one hour.

Cocobolo
Aug 17, 2006, 04:28 PM

I can't believe how angry I am. I'm almost foaming at the mouth! The mothership is definitely under attack, and maybe even some babyships too!! Ships of all genders, ages and religions are under attack! Prepare for BATTLE!!

I think Apple should release a "Special Steve Announcement" immediately, just to calm me down.

milo
Aug 17, 2006, 04:36 PM

So does this mean your original post wasn't a joke?

:eek:

As much as people keep insisting IT MUST BE renting/buying, I don't see a problem if it's initially either one, as long as pricing is right. There's a huge market for both, and covering either is a big potential revenue source for apple.

Personally, I wouldn't buy unless it was DVD quality and included all DVD extras (not going to happen any time soon), or was dirt cheap to own. And rental would be fine, I'd probably even accept lower quality for some content as long as it was cheaper than netflix (but also probably not going to happen).

EricNau
Aug 17, 2006, 04:39 PM
Competitors now have confirmation of Apple's plans...
They have nothing of the sort.

Frisco
Aug 17, 2006, 04:42 PM
Zune (http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/microsoft/exclusive-microsoft-zune-picture--zune-in-the-wild-194877.php)

mdntcallr
Aug 17, 2006, 04:46 PM
getting the option to rent movies on itunes will be great. hell even to rent with a burn to disc option would be even better.

I'm happy apple is moving in this direction. however. need them to offer laptops with 160GB hard drives. so we can travel with a whole bunch of movies and tv shows on the hard drive when we are on the go.

yeah i know it's alot of room, but some of us have tons of aac/mp3 files.

greenstork
Aug 17, 2006, 04:46 PM
I personally have about 500 DVDs sitting in my office on the wall, and the only ones I or anyone else "re-watches" over and over again is animation films, such as Toy Story, Finding Nemo, etc, because kids will sit and watch cartoons over and over again and not get sick of them. I will be happy if all they do is allow rental downloads, then I will cancel my membership with Blockbuster and their $20 a month fee. Here is my "wish list" for Apple on this Movie Store.

1) Open a movie section on itunes with at least 2K movies in content, ready to download and rent for $2.99 - $4.99 (have a fixed price, but no more then $4.99) to be viewed for unlimited times in 1 week. Instead of waiting for it to download completely, have it stream to the TV (through mac mini or new video airport express) with a good enough buffer that doesn't interrupt the movie. While you are watching it or not, continue to download to the HD so you can transfer it to an iPod to watch later or take to a friends house, on a plane, in the car, etc.

2) Movies must be better quality then current TV Shows!

3) Release the Widescreen Video iPod with 60GB and 120GB and better battery life and screen.

You forgot the remote. GOT to have a good remote for any sort of living room application.

mdntcallr
Aug 17, 2006, 04:50 PM

What war? hell Blu-Ray is about to launch ton's of players and PS3.

my thoughts are Blu-Ray ought to be included in macs asap. so we can buy and burn on them. would love a store to allow me to buy HD movie and even burn it to disc. would take a big pipe. Guess i would need FIOS for that.

:)

EricNau
Aug 17, 2006, 04:53 PM
How do you start a new topic here?
When viewing a forum category (e.g. 'Community Discussion'), at the top and bottom there will be a "New Thread" button.

It looks like this:55274

milo
What war? hell Blu-Ray is about to launch ton's of players and PS3.

Which doesn't guarantee anything, especially considering how delayed and expensive both are.

AvSRoCkCO1067
Zune (http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/microsoft/exclusive-microsoft-zune-picture--zune-in-the-wild-194877.php)

4God
Aug 17, 2006, 04:55 PM
........Who's with me? :mad:

Umm....just you.

About this mad... 55275

greenstork
Aug 17, 2006, 05:00 PM
Guess i would need FIOS for that.

It dawned on me that we probably won't see HD downloads until fiber to the curb is rolled out nationwide. And that appears to be a long way off:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060817-7530.html
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060814-7496.html

Squintz
Aug 17, 2006, 05:02 PM
That should be "hand" as in a poker hand, not "hat." I can't even think of how "hat" would make sense. :D

Haha, darn, I thought I might be the first one to mention that. And Lion's gate "tipping off" about the itunes movie downloads... does that mean the basketball game has begun? :) I think for "tips off" to be used correctly, it needs an object noun. For instance, Lion's Gate tips off the media. The diction used here kind of confused me.

MattyMac
Aug 17, 2006, 05:09 PM
That's bumped up! Steve is most likely infuriated!

poppe
Aug 17, 2006, 05:11 PM
I just wish it would be:

It would be DVD quality
All the extras (if you want them, option)
Monthly charge would be awesome for me, instead of price per movie...
Able to play on Monitor's and Laptop screens at least.
Fast Downloads. Or automatic Downloads - Like oh going to class set an
appointment to DL come back after 50 minutes and Bam i've got the
newest movie.

sosumi99
Aug 17, 2006, 05:14 PM
I can't believe how angry I am. I'm almost foaming at the mouth! The mothership is definitely under attack, and maybe even some babyships too!! Ships of all genders, ages and religions are under attack! Prepare for BATTLE!!

I think Apple should release a "Special Steve Announcement" immediately, just to calm me down.

:D :D :D

I finally cracked when I read this. I was wondering if anyone even remembers the bad old days.

At last, somebody who got it.

I was making fun of the days when every post related to Apple was a battle cry of this sort, and a plea to help "the Mothership." All non-believers were heathens. Being a Mac users then was surreal. You cannot say anything that remotely hinted at non-allegiance to Apple. If you think I'm exaggerating, go look for archived threads from 2000.

I was hoping somebody would get the reference. Glad I wasn't disappointed.

Back on topic: I don't really see the movie download business taking off. I want the DVD extras, and I don't think Apple will be giving them out.

Jimmni
Aug 17, 2006, 05:21 PM

If this is tongue-in-cheek, which I can only assume it is, then it's one of the funniest comments I've read on MacRumors :D Brilliant :D

If it's serious, then you have some serious issues :P

Flowbee
Aug 17, 2006, 05:22 PM
getting the option to rent movies on itunes will be great. hell even to rent with a burn to disc option would be even better.

Burn to DVD would definitely be a nice option, but I usually just hook my iPod to my TV (http://podophile.com/2006/08/16/watch-ipod-videos-on-your-tv/) with the $19 AV cable. I wouldn't be too surprised if Apple initially pushes this option over DVD burning.

Anonymous Freak
Aug 17, 2006, 05:29 PM
Well, that screwed it up for Lion's Gate. The last time a third-party company revealed something before Stevie J was ready to announce saw themselves in the dog house for a while.

I have a feeling Lion's Gate films will most certainly NOT be prominent at the announcement, or listed any more prominently than their contact with Apple requires. (i.e In the big 'list of movie posters' that will inevitably be on the Apple home page following the announcement, there probably won't be a single LG film.)

~Shard~
Aug 17, 2006, 05:32 PM
I think this news shouldn't surprise anyone. What I'm more interested in is finding out what the specifics are. How big are the files? How are the encoded? What is Apple's delivery method? What are expected transfer times? What is the resolution? What is the aspect ratio? What will the price per movie be? Is it just the movie, or DVD extras as well? These, to me, are the important questions, not when the service itself will launch.... :cool:

milo
Aug 17, 2006, 05:40 PM
I think this news shouldn't surprise anyone. What I'm more interested in is finding out what the specifics are. How big are the files? How are the encoded? What is Apple's delivery method? What are expected transfer times? What is the resolution? What is the aspect ratio? What will the price per movie be? Is it just the movie, or DVD extras as well? These, to me, are the important questions, not when the service itself will launch.... :cool:

Sadly, I'd bet the answer to most of those (except for price) will be "same as it is already".

pyramid6
Aug 17, 2006, 05:42 PM
I would actually consider an ipod if the movies are decently priced. I'm not holding my breath.

Anonymous Freak
Aug 17, 2006, 05:49 PM
It's not hat. It's hand. The phrase is 'He tipped Apple's hand. :rolleyes:

I like the idea that he grabbed Jobs' hat and tipped it. Funnier mental image.

(Note to OP: tipping your hand is revealing information that shouldn't have been; such as physically tipping your hand too far while playing poker, allowing the other players to see your cards. Tipping your hat is just that. Physically tipping your hat. It's a sign of goodwill meaning roughly 'hello', back when all men wore hats.)

xtqqtxxx
Aug 17, 2006, 05:58 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)
The iTunes Music Store currently doesn't offer any full-length movies for purchase/download, with minor exceptions to some full-length content available via ShowTime.

I thought iTunes had HSM and Fallen as movies. Maybe they don't count but, they are, kind of.

Eniregnat
Aug 17, 2006, 06:08 PM

Right, like industry people haven’t been talking to each other about this.

No thunder stolen as everybody is fixated on the Apple phone, the 200TB iPod with holographic screen and the new G5. I forgot the new Newton, we will all waiting for that.

Will a movie download service really be that much of a break through?

I do believe that if the price is right, the current level of compression and resolution will be fine (annoying, but tolerable.). I will still buy Criterion DVDs and shoot to build a library that is not only resident on my PowerBook. I'd really rather see a good film in a theater.

This service will be a boon for people like me, who don't own or watch TV. This is the one time I could see a plan like NetFlix working for Apple. I would pay for a service that allowed me to have well resolved movies that I can only watch once, or that only work for a few weeks or so.

Cocobolo
Aug 17, 2006, 06:24 PM
:D :D :D

At last, somebody who got it.

Got what?
Wait... you were joking? This is NOT a time to joke. I just spent the last half hour squeezing into my red ensign outfit, and as soon as my shift here at Movie Galaxy is over I'm picketing Best Buy.

Everyone, let's meet there. Once we're fully assembled we'll discuss strategies.

WildPalms
Aug 17, 2006, 06:42 PM
Grr, you beat me to it! *tips his hat to you*
Home Comp#4:Mac mini G4 1.5GHz/1GB/80GB 10.4.7
brianus is offline Report Bad Post Reply With Quote

Please! Consider the children! Use a different font for your signature! :p
(me gags on typewriter style font)

Aug 17, 2006, 06:42 PM

ROFL

brepublican
Aug 17, 2006, 07:08 PM
Again, we all know its coming. So... where's the news?

I, for one, dont think I'll ever download a movie off iTMS. I was downloading the 1hr + pilot for Psych the other day and that took forever... I'm only excited about the new 'Pods that are bound to be part of such an announcement

Squire
Aug 17, 2006, 07:14 PM
Put me up for own at rental prices. Bury Blockbuster, Hollywood Videos and Netflix.

Store bought DVDs are about as low in price as they can get given manufacturing, shipping, warehousing-- which is why a $4 rental can survive. Digital distribution can get the cost to own to that same price point (or below) and the studios get a payment from every viewer. Win-win-win as far as I can tell.

Normally, how much are store bought DVDs in the US & Canada these days? I personally don't have any desire to buy DVDs. Like others here, I typically watch a movie just once. However, I've recently been able to justify purchasing some because (a) they are considerably cheaper than 2 movie tickets, and (b) my local video store's new ownership doesn't seem to like purchasing DVDs.

I recently bought Wedding Crashers, Firewall, and Syriana because they were only about 10 dollars each. Not bad. Children's movies-- one type than I can easily justify buying because of the multiple viewings-- are slightly more.

-Squire

Tymmz
Aug 17, 2006, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by runplaysleeprun
"I've got some eggs here. the powerbook is in the car. i was going to make an omelet on my way home."

Love your signature.

Writing this with my 12'' PB on my belly. All good!

LaMerVipere
Aug 17, 2006, 08:27 PM

Fishes,
narco.

This was my first thought as well. :D

Multimedia
Aug 17, 2006, 08:37 PM
I hope Apple isn't going to sell these movies at the same quality as their current video downloads.

As of now, the only thing they are good for are iPods; on a computer screen it looks terrible.Here here. They are even encoding HD 16x9 TV Shows in 4x3 - unbelieveable. For last year being the year of HD, the iTunes Store Video Encode Department apparently didn't get the memo. :( :confused:I, for one, dont think I'll ever download a movie off iTMS. I was downloading the 1hr + pilot for Psych the other day and that took forever... I'm only excited about the new 'Pods that are bound to be part of such an announcementMe too. Yeah that Psych Pilot was originally tranmitted in HD 16 x 9. So I was shocked to find when I opened it that it is in 4x3. An excellent looking encode. But the completely and lamely wrong aspect ratio. Really shocked me to find nobody caught that on the way in. Looks like the encoders never watch TV.

Aug 17, 2006, 09:00 PM
Here here. They are even encoding HD 16x9 TV Shows in 4x3 - unbelieveable. For last year being the year of HD, the iTunes Store Video Encode Department apparently didn't get the memo.

Until they come out with an iPod with a widescreen display I don't see the point. The display on the current iPod is small enough as it is. Unless they address this I can't see downloading any videos.

macenforcer
Aug 17, 2006, 09:10 PM

Who's with me? :mad:

Nobody.

wkhahn
Aug 17, 2006, 09:45 PM

So what standard would a computer transmit to a new AE. Bonjour, nor current WiFi have the bandwidth to stream a movie over. And since you would most likely download this movie to a desktop for view within your house vs a laptop/ipod for away from home viewing, it would be plugged into an outlet. And an Airport express plugs dircetly into a wall, would it be possible to use Broadband over power lines within the home, in combo with some WiFi flavor to transmit and reconstruct the signal? Just a thought. Sorry if this has already been discussed elsewhere.

Cygnus311
Aug 17, 2006, 09:51 PM
Stick a "Burn to DVD" button on it or else it would be utterly useless to me... my desk chair is comfortable but not "watch a movie" comfortable

Exactly. MAYBE I'd do like 2 buck "rental" where they stop working after a couple days. I guess you could always do a DVI to HDMI cable for your TV couldn't though huh?

ezekielrage_99
Aug 17, 2006, 10:11 PM
This isn't really going to effect anyone outside the US, I'm in Australia and I am happy with ripping DVDs with Handbrake to my iPod.

brepublican
Aug 17, 2006, 10:53 PM
Love your signature.

Writing this with my 12'' PB on my belly. All good!
Yeah, love this baby in the winter. Saves me a dime or two on heating :)

Flowbee
Aug 17, 2006, 10:59 PM
Until they come out with an iPod with a widescreen display I don't see the point.

Because it's really easy to connect an iPod to your TV and watch your videos that way. There are also several peripherals (http://podophile.com/2006/07/26/memorex-announces-iflip-video-player-for-ipod/) coming out soon that add a larger wide screen to the iPod. And don't forget watching videos on your MacBook or MacBook pro.

BlueRevolution
Aug 17, 2006, 11:58 PM
iTunes songs bought: 0
iTunes TV shows bought: 0 (none available here anyway)
iTunes movies that I'll buy: 0

Still, good for them.

WhiteShadow
Aug 18, 2006, 12:02 AM
it may be a nice feature to download movies if the format was a good enough quality to watch on my high res display.

Kingsly
Aug 18, 2006, 01:18 AM
"In terms of iTunes movie downloads, I think most likely some time before the end of the year. We know when they are planning on launching, but since they have not announced it publicly, I do not think it is our place to say anything more about that. Calendar year."

"..."

"Did I just say what I thought I said?"

"Yes sir"

"Oh sh**"

[intern walks in]

"Sir, you have a call from Steve Jobs. Should I tell him you're available?"

"..."

SiliconAddict
Aug 18, 2006, 01:50 AM

Wow my sarcasm meter is reading exactly neutral. *smacks it* It can't tell if that post was in jest or not. Unfortunately I left my fanboy meter at home. :p

it may be a nice feature to download movies if the format was a good enough quality to watch on my high res display.

I think most of the known world would settle for DVD quality other wise what would be the point? It's easier to buy used at Blockbuster or Hollywood Video and just rip it for your own personal use. Most used movies now a days runs in the $14 range for first run movies. $12 for older flicks and $10 for stuff that they had massive overstock on. I just picked up Memoirs of a Geisha for $12 last week. Both disks were also flawless (I ask to see before I buy.) I just don't see a need for such a thing on iTMS other then impulse buys. You are about to take a flight in a couple hours and you want to check out Finding bingo...No that's not it. Finding Nero...No still not right. Nemo. Yah You want to watch Finding Nemo and don't have time to run to the video store. Drop into ITMS and D/L it while you finish you packing. Or then there is the 10PM stay at home evening with the 3' snow drifts. Better to D/L a movie they go out.

spicyapple
Aug 18, 2006, 03:37 AM
Steve is quote unquote, livid. :)

..thanks to some careless schmuck's comments denting Steve's Reality Distortion Field. It's absolutely outrageous!

oootle
Aug 18, 2006, 04:05 AM
is this what frontrow 2 is going to include, it explains why is passed over at WWDC. Also with the new ipods coming up in time for the holiday period (and possibly an iphone) film downloads would also link up with that.

question fear
Aug 18, 2006, 07:02 AM
Because it's really easy to connect an iPod to your TV and watch your videos that way. There are also several peripherals (http://podophile.com/2006/07/26/memorex-announces-iflip-video-player-for-ipod/) coming out soon that add a larger wide screen to the iPod. And don't forget watching videos on your MacBook or MacBook pro.

Flowbee, that is my thought exactly...I think the next gen of ipod will come with an Ipod-->RCA cable; it makes the most sense and puts apple in a good position to be an on-demand competitor. Don't get cable tv? No problem, dump the show on your ipod via itunes, slap the cables in your tv and go.

Full screen video ipods are nice, but give people the chance to use their ipod like they'd use a dvd player (but be able to bring it with them to anyone's tv) and that's where the $$$ is in an itunes movie store.

jagolden
Aug 18, 2006, 07:17 AM

Sosumi99 may be a little over the top here, but is staggers my mind to think any doesn't believe this was out of line nd wrong for Mr. Beeks to say. Clearly when Steve Jobs has a "big announcement" it generates lots of hype and interest - not only in the iPod but for Apple in general. Mr. Beeks has tried to pre-empt Apples splash by pointing it to Lions Gate insted.

No one here "knows" what will happen this year with iPod/iTunes. If they "do", they must know someone who is violating a NDA. We highty suspect and believe what ill happen before the end of this year.

Maybe your mommy will teach you good business and ethics practice.

MacBoobsPro
Aug 18, 2006, 07:41 AM

Hmmm... thats strange I had a body bag erroneously delivered to my house this morning. It had the name 'Beeks' on it! :D

playaj82
Aug 18, 2006, 07:44 AM
Sosumi99 may be a little over the top here, but is staggers my mind to think any doesn't believe this was out of line nd wrong for Mr. Beeks to say. Clearly when Steve Jobs has a "big announcement" it generates lots of hype and interest - not only in the iPod but for Apple in general. Mr. Beeks has tried to pre-empt Apples splash by pointing it to Lions Gate insted.

No one here "knows" what will happen this year with iPod/iTunes. If they "do", they must know someone who is violating a NDA. We highty suspect and believe what ill happen before the end of this year.

Maybe your mommy will teach you good business and ethics practice.

I don't really think it matters. Lion's Gate does not have the same kinds of "brand recognition" concerns that a company like Apple must address by drawing attention and publicity.

The other thing is that like others have said, this has not been a secret. Everyone knows the movie industry would eventually have to jump on the bandwagon, and this is nothing more than someone finally acknowledging the inevitible.

It isn't like the guy told us the details for the new iPod or something.

Leondunkleyc
Aug 18, 2006, 08:45 AM

lazyrighteye
Aug 18, 2006, 09:24 AM
The new iTMS: now featuring full-length feature films from all sorts of studios.*

* with the exception of Lions Gate Films.

gauriemma
Aug 18, 2006, 09:33 AM
Normally, how much are store bought DVDs in the US & Canada these days? I personally don't have any desire to buy DVDs. Like others here, I typically watch a movie just once. However, I've recently been able to justify purchasing some because (a) they are considerably cheaper than 2 movie tickets, and (b) my local video store's new ownership doesn't seem to like purchasing DVDs.

I recently bought Wedding Crashers, Firewall, and Syriana because they were only about 10 dollars each. Not bad. Children's movies-- one type than I can easily justify buying because of the multiple viewings-- are slightly more.

-Squire

Most new releases in the US can be had for between $15-20. But I rarely purchase movies. Probably 80% of my DVDs are live performances or TV show collections, both of which receive multiple, long-term viewings.

AtHomeBoy_2000
Aug 18, 2006, 01:33 PM
Me too. Yeah that Psych Pilot was originally tranmitted in HD 16 x 9. So I was shocked to find when I opened it that it is in 4x3. An excellent looking encode. But the completely and lamely wrong aspect ratio. Really shocked me to find nobody caught that on the way in. Looks like the encoders never watch TV.

I downloaded the Pilot as well. Very impressive. I blew video up to the size of my screen (almost "full screen" mode) and it still looked great!

mcarnes
Aug 18, 2006, 02:34 PM
Meh, I'll stick with handbrake.

Keebler
Aug 18, 2006, 02:54 PM
i don't care...i don't care...i don't care.

ok...i will care once they allow tv/movie dloads in canada!!!!

then i'll check out a sample. for a stay-at-home Dad running my own biz, i don't get out much so dloading a movie is very, very appealing! for example, desperately wanted to see clerks 2. didn't get out to the theatres for a few weeks.....finally had a chance...gone from the theatre!!! son of a..... :)

now, if i could only dload it!!!!! :)

swarmster
Aug 18, 2006, 06:25 PM
I really hope this is a rental system, but not like Netflix. If they could give me one-day file "rentals" for $1 or $2, this would go from something I'd never even consider using to something I'd use for 95% of my movies...in fact, my movie viewing would probably skyrocket.

I very rarely watch a movie more than once. And at that price, if a movie is so good as to warrant a second viewing (but not good enough to buy the DVD), I wouldn't really mind paying again.

adamcz
Aug 18, 2006, 10:23 PM
There was really no surprise to spoil. We've all known about this for a year or so (or at least had a pretty good feeling). I mentioned it on my website a month ago: www.adamcz.net/stocks

EDIT: I'd also like to add, that I find it interesting that we're simultaneously entering an era of Blu Ray/HDDVD and low quality downloads. I just bought my first HDTV, and I really want to make good use of it. I've therefore got no interest in downloading a movie that is inferior to DVD quality. I think they might as well target only ipods with this service, or make sure their files look good on big tvs. I don't see a lot of marketshare for the in-between.

Bonte
Aug 19, 2006, 04:43 AM
The way to go, IMHO, is buying a DVD (on Amazon) with an optional iPod download for a dollar extra. Mostly cheaper then $10 and we have it both.

imnotatfault
Aug 19, 2006, 06:44 AM
the problem is that the ENTIRE pricing system is so unbelievably flawed.

Movie tickets are enormously overpriced considering that now they even have commercial advertisements and big brand endorsements (ad revenue should be shared with ticket purchasers to encourage us to come out)

DVDs start of so high priced until Best Buy undercuts everyone and steals sales, but that's another issue entirely...

My biggest gripe, however, is that Apple introduced the micropayment price point with music at a price we all thought was relatively fair. But why are they charging 1.99 universally for TV eps AND (here's the rub) short commercials, SNL skits, and Pixar shorts? $2 for a 45 second to 1 minute skit??!! You have to be kidding me Apple. They need some serious revisions to their video store.

danielwsmithee
Aug 19, 2006, 11:14 AM
But why are they charging 1.99 universally for TV eps AND (here's the rub) short commercials, SNL skits, and Pixar shorts? $2 for a 45 second to 1 minute skit??!! You have to be kidding me Apple. They need some serious revisions to their video store.I agree. While I like having a simple pricing system, i.e. $1.99 for standard TV shows. They should have other price points for items not worth $1.99. Or for SNL skits sell the entire SNL episode for $1.99 with each skit separated into a different short video file, that would be nice.

junker
Aug 19, 2006, 01:09 PM
I agree with all of these posts about pricing. My suggestion: stop buying stuff...or start pirating again. THAT seems to get their attention. All price point talk is irrelevant to them...they dont care how unhappy we are - unless we force them to change.

Tommyg117
Aug 19, 2006, 10:11 PM
Steve is definitely upset, first Apple "surprise" officially foiled?

boncellis
Aug 20, 2006, 12:22 AM
Full screen video ipods are nice, but give people the chance to use their ipod like they'd use a dvd player (but be able to bring it with them to anyone's tv) and that's where the $$$ is in an itunes movie store.

Yes! Exactly right, in my opinion. This would be one more way to market the iPod to the masses. Sure, Handbrake works like a dream, but an integrated, end-to-end experience of shopping for a film, downloading it to the iPod, then connecting it to a TV would create a solution similar to that of buying music in the current iTMS. Apple should upgrade the video out of the iPod though, I think.

Another thing to consider is that the Mac Mini has been seen as the "media center" where feature-length downloads may happily reside.

ianogden
Aug 20, 2006, 09:24 AM
I wish they would hurry up and deliver us UK customers TV Shows, rather than bringing out the Movie Downloads in the US and making me even more jealous!

It always makes me wanna live in the US when things like this happen!

~Shard~
Aug 20, 2006, 09:36 AM
It always makes me wanna live in the US when things like this happen!

Yikes, don't get carried away now! :eek: :p ;) :D

edcrosay
Aug 21, 2006, 03:18 AM
So what standard would a computer transmit to a new AE. Bonjour, nor current WiFi have the bandwidth to stream a movie over. And since you would most likely download this movie to a desktop for view within your house vs a laptop/ipod for away from home viewing, it would be plugged into an outlet. And an Airport express plugs dircetly into a wall, would it be possible to use Broadband over power lines within the home, in combo with some WiFi flavor to transmit and reconstruct the signal? Just a thought. Sorry if this has already been discussed elsewhere.

I've been streaming divx movies over 802.11b from my main windows pc to a dedicated POS 866 PIII with a video out to my TV for 4 or 5 years (This is before I learned the greatness of ... i.e. could afford a mac). I don't see how having an airport with airtunes/video would be a problem. I would buy one in a heartbeat, because it is much cheaper than buying a Mac mini for that sole purpose.
And althougth the current resolution of iTunes video is lower res than DVD, it still looks pretty good when I hook up my powerbook to my TV. It's not fantastic, but it looks better fullscreen on my 32" tube than my 24" LCD monitor. The only problem I have with it is when they crop 16x9 shows down to 4x3. I want to see Lost in all its glory.

guzhogi
Aug 21, 2006, 12:14 PM
I agree w/ the pricing. I bought all the SNL commercial skits as the whole set, which cost maybe $.40 each. That's pretty good in my opinion. Maybe have commercials/skits/shorts for $.99, TV episodes for $1.99 and full length movies for $9.99 or something. Or maybe subscription would be good for movies b/c how often do you actually watch any specific movie?

I also agree w/ the quality of movies. I'd like it if you got 2 versions of the movies: iPod size and TV/computer montor sized so that each looks good on their respective screens. If/when Apple delivers a whole screen video iPod, the resolution would probably (and better) be better than the current iPod which might mean higher quality videos. We wouldn't know until Apple releases it.

Porchland
Aug 21, 2006, 12:20 PM
The way to go, IMHO, is buying a DVD (on Amazon) with an optional iPod download for a dollar extra. Mostly cheaper then $10 and we have it both.

One of the things I'm most curious about Apple making movies available for download is where the download fits into the consumption model, i.e., whether video downloads will be another release window or part of a current release window.

The studios want to capture income off the same properties as many times as possible, but the trend has been toward shorter and shorter release windows to maximize on marketing dollars. (Wal-Mart went ape-crap when one of the studios tried to time DVD release to cable and satellite PPV.)

I would like to see Apple position iPod movies as part of the a broader strategy for higher-resolution content, but I don't see them going for a model where you download the iPod version and get the DVD in the mail. Not when the model is changing away from DVD purchase/rental and toward a PPV model.

Until Apple can figure out a way to provide HD quality with a reasonable download time -- ahem, Mac mini media center -- I think movies will be available only in the quality that TV shows are currently available.

carfac
Aug 21, 2006, 12:34 PM
I do not understand why any of you are even THINKING it will be anything close to DVD quality....

first, what is the resolution of current iTunes video offerings? Why would they even consider upping the res, they are testing and running fine on the current (read pissy!) rez.

second, how much of the iTunes music is offered at CD resolution? How many have an option for higher rez?

I do not think Apple wants to offer high rez (d/l costs and times), and I am sure the movie (and music) companies don't want it. Do not even think the rez will be any higher (ever) that current iTunes vid- it just will not happen.

iMovie, with video only sutible for iPods, will only be a novety, at best. I bet it will be worse- movie studios are TOO greedy, and will price this out of the market and that, in and of itself, will cause it to fail.

d

Teddy's
Aug 21, 2006, 01:37 PM
Please Steve! TV SHOWS FOR iTMS CANADA NOW!!!
C'mon!!!! :confused:

rxse7en
Aug 21, 2006, 01:38 PM
OK. Five days and no new rumors. I'm tired of this headline. Someone needs to make up some new rumors for me. Something nice. Nothing too expensive.

:D

B

Bonte
Aug 21, 2006, 02:18 PM
I would like to see Apple position iPod movies as part of the a broader strategy for higher-resolution content, but I don't see them going for a model where you download the iPod version and get the DVD in the mail.

Unlike with music there is a willingness to allow a digital copy when the DVD is bought, the future HD disks may have 1 or 2 digital copy's on the disk for the mediacenter, streaming and PC use. I don't know if providing a digital copy from the DVD is illegal? Amazon and Apple together would be the perfect couple in such a situation.

wkhahn
Aug 21, 2006, 04:03 PM
I've been streaming divx movies over 802.11b from my main windows pc to a dedicated POS 866 PIII with a video out to my TV for 4 or 5 years (This is before I learned the greatness of ... i.e. could afford a mac). I don't see how having an airport with airtunes/video would be a problem. I would buy one in a heartbeat, because it is much cheaper than buying a Mac mini for that sole purpose.
And althougth the current resolution of iTunes video is lower res than DVD, it still looks pretty good when I hook up my powerbook to my TV. It's not fantastic, but it looks better fullscreen on my 32" tube than my 24" LCD monitor. The only problem I have with it is when they crop 16x9 shows down to 4x3. I want to see Lost in all its glory.

I've never tried to stream video content from one computer to another, or to a TV, except through a direct connection. I was basing the suggection on an acticle from MacWorld a few months ago about trying to use a MacMini as a Media Center. Watching videos/movies stored on a Powermac G5, on the mini required a direct connection. Neither Bonjour or Powerline Ethernet would do the trick. The reviewer would get a server connection error. Though he did figure a work around. story (http://www.macworld.com/2006/05/features/multimediamini/index2.php).

Aug 21, 2006, 04:14 PM
Unless you get the same quality, the same prices and the same speed in terms of accessing the media (several Gb via fast connection), any online movie industry is doomed to fail...

lazyrighteye
Aug 21, 2006, 06:20 PM
Things sure are quiet over in camp Apple...

With the influx of new mobile phones/carriers and mp3 players recently flooding the market, I can't help but think any (Tues)day now, Apple is gonna drop the BOMB.

Detlev
Aug 21, 2006, 07:58 PM
4 out of 5 MacRumors readers chose "download full length movies" as their "Rumor of 2006". What happened to the fifth reader?

question fear
Aug 21, 2006, 08:10 PM
4 out of 5 MacRumors readers chose "download full length movies" as their "Rumor of 2006". What happened to the fifth reader?

they feel there's no connection between cleaner teeth and trident gum.