PDA

View Full Version : iPod Update 1.2.6

MacRumors
Mar 20, 2003, 10:11 AM
http://www.apple.com/ipod/download/

iPod Software 1.2.6 provides improved battery management which solves a problem that may appear to shorten your iPod's battery life.

Some customers have reported that over time their iPod's battery life has declined. This update enables the iPod to more accurately monitor its battery charge, thus using the entire battery capacity and regaining long battery life. The result is longer playback time and extended standby time. After updating the iPod, customers can expect at least 10 days of standby battery life on a full charge.

Prior to this update, the iPod would sometimes mistake a temporary low voltage condition as an indication that the battery was discharged. This resulted in the iPod shutting down prematurely, even though the battery was still capable of powering the iPod.

A new Mac OS X 10.2.5 Seed has been delivered to developers:

Improved USB Modem connections
Better compatibility with EGBridge in Katankana input mode
Updated Bluetooth Kernel API's
Finder Copy to SMB volume improved
Additional support for a variety of new third-party CD-R/W Drives

wilhelmd
Mar 20, 2003, 10:15 AM
Definetly getting this one! "Temporary low-voltage condition"? I did think that 10 hours of playing music wouldn't last for a long time, but I guess it did!

And improved SMB support... good!

EDIT: Woho! First post!

noverflow
Mar 20, 2003, 10:24 AM
All i care about in 10.2.5 is that they fix the hole in .mac

And

They support my bluetooth mouse... i got it as a gift, im just waiting till i can use it. Best form fitted mouse i have haver held.

Foxer
Mar 20, 2003, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by noverflow

And

They support my bluetooth mouse... i got it as a gift, im just waiting till i can use it. Best form fitted mouse i have haver held.

which mouse is this? Looking to pick one up.

NOT the first post, nor do i care.

nodmonkey
Mar 20, 2003, 10:45 AM
did anyone else's heart skip a beat (how sad) when they read the 'iPod update' headline, only to be disappointed by news of a simple software update? bah! :mad:

still waiting on april for the iPod hardware (iTunes 4, Quicktime, Online Music Service) update then...

Rincewind42
Mar 20, 2003, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by noverflow

It isn't a security hole so much as a default setting. The default settings for the .Mac password on your keychain is to allow it's use without prompting you for your password. This setting is very easy to change in the keychain. And anyway, if someone can access your keychain to read the password, then there isn't much stopping them from just taking your entire computer anyway.

iJon
Mar 20, 2003, 10:58 AM
anyone else besides me have the problem of the ipod unmounting when you go to update. it happened on all my macs.

iJon

melchior
Mar 20, 2003, 11:07 AM
i don't think this bodes well for those of us waiting for new ipod's. if new ipod's were just around the corner (coinciding with new music service) wouldn't they release them together, at the same time... a bit of a bummer

tjwett
Mar 20, 2003, 11:12 AM
I have had a MAJOR problem after this update. I installed it and everything went smoothly. The iPod worked fine and was running the latest software. Problem is that now I can't launch iTunes at all. And it's not the usual "can't find the library" crash either. I've trashed all prefs for both the iPod and iTunes and still nothing. I fixed all errors and permissions on the HD, nothing. I even deleted iTunes and reinstalled it, nothing. This is deep. I'm worried I will have to wipe my HD and reinstall the OS so I used the Pod like a Firewire HD and just put as many of my mp3s on it as possible, as data not as playlists, so I can't even listen to them. So now I have a full iPod that I can't use and iTunes won't do a thing. I'm certain it's from this update because it's the ONLY thing I did yesterday and the Crash Log says something about an external device. Can anyone here read a Crash Log and get an idea of the problem? Thanks for any info.

phampton81
Mar 20, 2003, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by iJon
anyone else besides me have the problem of the ipod unmounting when you go to update. it happened on all my macs.

iJon

When you update, the ipod umounts, then you need to unplug it and plug it back it for the update to load on the ipod.

wilhelmd
Mar 20, 2003, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by tjwett
I'm worried I will have to wipe my HD and reinstall the OS so I used the Pod like a Firewire HD and just put as many of my mp3s on it as possible, as data not as playlists, so I can't even listen to them.
If you do have do format your hard drive, you don't need to put the MP3 files on the 'pod as data. Just use the iPod Retriever (http://www.damsleth.com/ipod.asp).

electric
Mar 20, 2003, 11:25 AM
10.2.5 and beyond,

Hope they fix the window selection bug that I have noticed (when tring to select underlying open applications on the desktop, I sometimes must click on the "Top drag bar" to bring the open application to the front) Anyone else experience this? ..... Sorry if there is already a Forum or Web site devoted to this topic.

Peep the G

AhmedFaisal
Mar 20, 2003, 11:26 AM
Does anyone know if they will add Bluetooth PC Card support with this update? I own a pre-Al Powerbook and have PC-Card Bluetooth Adapter from 3com with a neat XJack Antenna leftover from my PC Laptop which I would like to use in a mac, it completely vanishes in the slot unlike the stupid USB dongle which I always need to remove when I take my laptop to work...
Cheers,

Ahmed

P.S.: While I doubt the wisdom of current events, I hope all the American Troops can return home safely soon. Greetings from Er Riad.

aasmund
Mar 20, 2003, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Foxer
which mouse is this? Looking to pick one up.

NOT the first post, nor do i care.

There is only one bluetooth mouse in existance:

http://www.bluetooth.com/tech/products/prods.asp?A=S&X=11&CAT=13&SCAT=ALL

MicroSoft :) There is a presentation thingy by logitech aswell. However I doubt sincerely that the MS mouse will work.

Regards.

jettredmont
Mar 20, 2003, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Macrumors
Finder Copy to SMB volume improved

Hopefully it correctly munges text-file line endings when sending to a Windows machine ... OS X is great at changing line endings on incoming files, but doesn't change them at all on outgoing files ...

smegdude
Mar 20, 2003, 11:41 AM
i have run the updater for the ipod and it hasn't updated. I don't know why this is, but i have run the installer twice and my ipod still says its running 1.2.1. Is anyone else having this problem?
i have a 20gb ipod

Rincewind42
Mar 20, 2003, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by jettredmont
Hopefully it correctly munges text-file line endings when sending to a Windows machine ... OS X is great at changing line endings on incoming files, but doesn't change them at all on outgoing files ...

I doubt that it will, as there is very little that you can determine about the user's intention when they copy it over. For all the OS knows, the user could be copying it to the server in order to load it on a UNIX box or MacOS 9 box in another office, neither of which will like the Windows line endings.

And actually, MacOS X doesn't change line endings on incoming files at all, modern MacOS X text services simply recognize all three line ending variants and adjust the text as required. When the files are saved however, the line endings may then be changed depending on the program doing the saving.

huckleup
Mar 20, 2003, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Rincewind42
It isn't a security hole so much as a default setting. The default settings for the .Mac password on your keychain is to allow it's use without prompting you for your password. This setting is very easy to change in the keychain. And anyway, if someone can access your keychain to read the password, then there isn't much stopping them from just taking your entire computer anyway.

I know you meant well, but saying that they can just as well take your computer is just not true and possibly not the worst thing that can happen.

Note that the problem is not limited to access to your .Mac password, it is for any keychain entry. If you set 'Allow Always' access by the Keychain application to any entry, simply launching the application can give someone access to any password.

First, In most cases it would likely be very difficult to take someone's computer. Like in a coroporate or a school lab environement you're not likely to be able to walk out of a building with someone else's computer under your arm. Having physical access to the computer may get you some info, but if files on the machine are individually password protected or encrypted it won't do you much good to have the machine except as a free piece of hardware, if in fact you can grab the whole thing. You may only be able to have access to the machine for a very short period of time and any 'speed bumps' in accessing the valuable data on the machine may be enough to stop someone from getting at it.

Secondly, taking the physical computer may not be the intent and may not even be as valuable as having access to someone's passwords. The computer is only worth maybe $1000, but the passwords could be to bank accounts, stock portfolios or any kind of intellectual property and secrets that could be worth much more, even millions. So keeping a lockdown on your passwords may be a very important thing.

That having been said, I agree that this 'hole' is, as you said, something that you can control and change. But the issue is that it may not be obvious that you have opened up this risk. There are options for allowing access 'Once' or 'Always' on a per application basis. It is very easy to select the wrong option by mistake, and then no way to know on a per keychain entry, per application basis without looking at each entry. After reading about this issue I went through all my keychain entries and in fact found a half dozen that were marked for 'Always' access to the Keychain application. With more than 50 entries in my keychain, that took a bit of time to resolve.

There can and should be more done to make sure that the user is aware of the choices they made and their implications. In addition, there could be for instance a global setting that says 'lock all entries' by applications 'except...' and other types of macro definitions. Right now you can lock the whole keychain, but as soon as you unlock that (which is the default), you allow access to all the unlocked individual entries.

Security is not something that should be taken lightly and 'barely good enough'. Settings should be on the conservative side by default, not lax. Apple can and should do better. Many types of users expect and need more and better options.

000111one111000
Mar 20, 2003, 12:18 PM
If the .mac keychain thingy really worries you, I'd suggest you load up the keychain menubar extra. It's under "View" I believe.

Anyways, that should help make your system a bit more secure if you're scared of people sitting down and looking at your passwords. This will give you the option of locking your screen (going to screensaver with a password) or locking/unlocking all of your keychains.

Also, there already is the option to allow certain passwords to be locked all the time, except for certain applications. You could set the .mac password to always require authentication, unless you're checking your .mac mail, for example.

I really don't see the problem. If you're saving your passwords to a keychain on a public system in the first place, then it'd be your own fault. If it's on a private system, but in an office or dorm room, cubicle, etc., you should be locking it whenever you leave the computer anyways.

enoch

kjottbein
Mar 20, 2003, 12:25 PM
anyone else experiencing the same problems as tjwett?

i'd like very much to update, but i'm afraid of breaking itunes

the point melchior made about how this is a sign that there won't be new ipods shortly is scary. hope you're wrong, although you may be right.

chewbaccapits
Mar 20, 2003, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by aasmund
There is only one bluetooth mouse in existance:

http://www.bluetooth.com/tech/products/prods.asp?A=S&X=11&CAT=13&SCAT=ALL

MicroSoft :) There is a presentation thingy by logitech aswell. However I doubt sincerely that the MS mouse will work.

Regards.

Side note..I'm never buying another "mouse" from microcrap (My mistake in the first place)..They failed to support the intellimouse...In fact, when they recalled them they didn't want to honor mine....Because apparently I bought it 3 months pass their warranty coverage...I'd wait for another mouse....

chewbaccapits
Mar 20, 2003, 12:30 PM
By the way, glad to see apple addressing the battery issue...If there are no new iPod (hardware) updates by mid-April, I'm buying a 5 giger....Tired of waiting.

neutrino23
Mar 20, 2003, 12:34 PM
The iPod update was a bit rough for me but worked OK. (20GB iPod)

First I downloaded and installed the update.

Next I connected my iPod. At this time iTunes launched and a dialog box popped up saying that new software was detected. I entered my password and asked it to install.

Next it asked me to unplug and replugin my iPod.

I did so and it showed the Apple logo for quite a while then it rebooted and seemed fine.

The only odd thing was that iTunes started to download a number of songs that were already on the iPod. I should have had about 5.5GB of songs but now I had about 7.5GB.

I launched the updater again, selected the Restore option and followed the instructions. This completely wiped the iPod and set it to firmware 1.2.6. Then iTunes downloaded the full library afresh. Now everything is OK.

My suggestion to those having troubles is to select the Restore option if the Update option doesn't satisfy.

QCassidy352
Mar 20, 2003, 12:53 PM
hi all, this is my first post on macrumors! :)

I really hope this update works as intended; I've been waiting for this for a long time!

In regard to the poster who said this:
"did anyone else's heart skip a beat (how sad) when they read the 'iPod update' headline, only to be disappointed by news of a simple software update? bah!"

I'm not disappointed! Anytime apple releases something totally free that will make a product I already own function a lot better, I'm all for it. The ipod really needed this update (if it does what it should). And now, I'm off to update!

Flowbee
Mar 20, 2003, 01:06 PM
No problems running the update or opening iTunes afterwards. So I guess not everyone's having problems (whew!).

I haven't had any battery drain issues previously - bought my iPod in November - so I really don't notice a difference from this update.

**20gb with 2100 songs and 5gb of backup files.**

globalwidget
Mar 20, 2003, 01:38 PM
Downloaded the updater. Got it onto my iPod. (I chose the 'Restore' option after I used Disk Utility to format the iPod HD to Mac OS extended, it was a Windows iPod before and had always worked with my Powerbook G4 flawlessly)

The iPod mounts fine, says it's got the latest software (1.2.6) but iTunes and iSynch refuse to see it. No icon in iTunes when it's attached - so no loading of my tunes. iSynch 'sees' my iPod but lists it's name as 'unknown' and when I try to add it as a device, nothing happens.

BTW, I've reinstalled the last update (version 1.2.1) and still the same thing. Restarted powerbook, nada.

Any suggestions?
--------------
OK! Found my problem, maybe it can help some of the others.

I 'reset' my firewire ports and now everything works as it used to. I'm not sure if it was related to the update or just coincidental but...

1) disconnect all Firewire devices.
2) Shut down computer.
3) disconnect power (including battery?)
4) Wait for 5 minutes.
5) Restart.

Worked for me. Not only does my iPod mount, but iTunes and iSynch recognize and update as they should.

tjwett
Mar 20, 2003, 01:58 PM
Is anyone else NOT seeing this updater show up when you run Software Update? I've reinstalled 1.2.1 AND iTunes in hopes to get this working again but I still can't use iTunes at all. I've not only trashed the iPod and iTunes prefs but I've trashed EVERY pref file and .plist in my system, still nothing. I've run permissions, disk utility, nothing. I really don't feel like wiping my HD and reinstalling Jag, infact I can't, it's at work and I don't work there anymore. How wonderful! Thanks Apple for unleashing another betaware on us to test for you.

pyrotoaster
Mar 20, 2003, 02:01 PM
10 days of standby time? Nice, although kinda pointless considering the iPod shuts off after 10 minutes of inactivity.

I use a 5 gig iPod, and anything that helps the crazy battery in it work past a 50% on the battery meter is a welcome update.
Originally posted by chewbaccapits
By the way, glad to see apple addressing the battery issue...If there are no new iPod (hardware) updates by mid-April, I'm buying a 5 giger....Tired of waiting.
Good luck trying to find one! You're probably better off waiting for a price drop on the 10 gig (next Tuesday! :p).

yzedf
Mar 20, 2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by tjwett
Is anyone else NOT seeing this updater show up when you run Software Update? I've reinstalled 1.2.1 AND iTunes in hopes to get this working again but I still can't use iTunes at all. I've not only trashed the iPod and iTunes prefs but I've trashed EVERY pref file and .plist in my system, still nothing. I've run permissions, disk utility, nothing. I really don't feel like wiping my HD and reinstalling Jag, infact I can't, it's at work and I don't work there anymore. How wonderful! Thanks Apple for unleashing another betaware on us to test for you.

Why the heck were you using your iPod at work in the first place? Your computer at work is not a toy, and should not be connected to any either. The iPod is a toy, firewire target mode or not.

iJon
Mar 20, 2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by phampton81
When you update, the ipod umounts, then you need to unplug it and plug it back it for the update to load on the ipod.
trust me, i know what im doing, there is something very strange going on with this, i fixed the problem but it was very weird. the ipod update had never been this difficult in the past, there was somethin gabout my powerbok and powermac it didnt like.

iJon

tliptak
Mar 20, 2003, 03:25 PM
Downloading now... Wish me luck... Think I might need it:mad:

rugby
Mar 20, 2003, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by yzedf
Why the heck were you using your iPod at work in the first place? Your computer at work is not a toy, and should not be connected to any either. The iPod is a toy, firewire target mode or not.

I use my ipod at work all the time. I have it hooked up to my G4/733 and the update went quite well. I'm so crazy!

The ipod is not just a toy for me, it's my livelihood. I am working on some projects and I bring a copy home every night for off-sight storage.

BTW, all the computers at work are my toys.

madmark
Mar 20, 2003, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by pyrotoaster
10 days of standby time? Nice, although kinda pointless considering the iPod shuts off after 10 minutes of inactivity.The iPod uses power even when "off". This power is used to preserve the RAM contents and allows the instant-on you are use to. If the RAM contents are lost, it takes 20-30 seconds to re-boot your iPod. Have you ever reset your iPod (holding Menu & Play buttons for 5 seconds)? That is a re-boot.

-MM

tliptak
Mar 20, 2003, 03:44 PM
Worked fine using the Update button:cool: Yes

tjwett
Mar 20, 2003, 03:55 PM
Why the heck were you using your iPod at work in the first place? Your computer at work is not a toy, and should not be connected to any either. The iPod is a toy, firewire target mode or not. What on earth are you talking about? Maybe you misunderstood what I wrote. I said I can't boot from the Jag CD because I don't have it anymore. It was left in my office when the company went out of business. I've never brought my iPod to work in my life and even if I did it wouldn't be your place to say whether it's right or wrong. Read more carefully before you get loud with an attitude.

bryng
Mar 20, 2003, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by yzedf Why the heck were you using your iPod at work in the first place? Your computer at work is not a toy, and should not be connected to any either. The iPod is a toy, firewire target mode or not.

Actually, an iPod is extremely useful for shifting data between home and work, for those of us who can't quite get everything done in a normal working day...

wwworry
Mar 20, 2003, 05:05 PM
This could be a huge update for the iPod. Ever since the last updates my original 5 gig has not been of much use because the battery was always dying. Testing it now.

+

It's a fact that listening to music can help you work faster at certain tasks.

AppleMatt
Mar 20, 2003, 05:29 PM

I suspect this post was tounge-in cheek, but if it wasn't...

If the iPod in F/W disk mode is a toy, why would Dr Will Gilbert carry around the human genome project on it?

Just because it is in a stylish case, and can act as an MP3 player, does not make it a toy, it is no different from any firewire drive.

Please keep offensive posts to a minimum. It is much more productive for people to post their experiences with the update and their views on 10.2.5.

AppleMatt

Kwyjibo
Mar 20, 2003, 05:58 PM

some people like listening to music as they work, it helps them think. oh yeah, I was doing a little clerical work on the weekends and after school. My boss was more concened about where he could get one than whether or not I was lsitneing to music :)

Apple][Forever
Mar 20, 2003, 06:20 PM

You posted around 2:30. Now, you're in CT so that's 3:30 your time. Do you have a 9-5 job? If so, why are you on a mac message board from work? That's worse than using an iPod!

suneun
Mar 20, 2003, 06:40 PM
I downloaded the file from the url link. Software Update didn't have it listed. Then I installed the package. My iPod was connected already, so I ejected it and hooked it back up. No go. It was still 1.2.1.

I then found the installer in the Utilities folder of Apps and ran the 1.2.6 installer. Then I unlocked the window, and installed onto the iPod. It worked.

Yey. I definitely hope it improves the standing battery time. Also, I had my iPod crash for the first time ever last weekend. I turned it on, hit a playlist, and it froze while spinning up to start the song. It just stayed in that screen for a long time until it ran out of battery. Plugging it into my machine fixed it, though.

beatle888
Mar 20, 2003, 06:52 PM

oh man:D

i loved the responses to this post. it really pisses me off when people go around pretending their preference should be everyones preference..or their ideas should be everyones ideas.

they remind me of dictators.

Odox
Mar 20, 2003, 07:00 PM
Possibly this update this a good indication of Ipod updates soon?
(ok so they've been rumored for months) but Apple would be foolish not to solve the battery problem before releasing a new line. Now they've got it out the way they can focus on releasing them - soon please :D

NavyIntel007
Mar 20, 2003, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by chewbaccapits

10.2.5 needs to do something about the ibook battery bug. I've lost at least an hour battery life.

robotrenegade
Mar 20, 2003, 07:35 PM
About damn time.

QCassidy352
Mar 20, 2003, 07:47 PM
"10.2.5 needs to do something about the ibook battery bug. I've lost at least an hour battery life."

hear hear! Couldn't agree more.

j33pd0g
Mar 20, 2003, 07:58 PM
I also had no problems running the update or opening iTunes after the update. When the updater in iTunes asked me to unplug my iPod I did.
I saw the apple logo for a few short seconds.. and then I saw a pic of a firewire cable on my iPod screen... Thats when I plugged it back in - everything was fine from there.

I have a 5 gig iPod.

MacBoy88
Mar 20, 2003, 09:32 PM
Apple needs this update so bad because 10.2.4
is awful !! I had it installed on my iBook & my PowerMac MDD, and it screwed up the battery on my iBook, my modem on both, and my clock on both

I had it on there for TWO DAYS and I reverted back to 10.2.3.

And to top it off, at my school, SU ran over night and placed 10.2.4 on all of the macs at my school, so me being the computer club president, had to go to each one a revert back to 10.2.3!!

Plus, when I updated on my iBook I lost my 72 DAY UPTIME :o :eek:

BTW, I have the iPod update and it is awesome.

MacBoy88, 14

zac4mac
Mar 20, 2003, 10:38 PM
Update ran fine - followed directions and updated.

I was a little bit worried, for naught. Both 'Pod and iTunes work fine.

Original 5GB(rec'd Nov 9, 2001) still running a full 9+ hr day before the update, hope the standby time improves; sometimes I don't use it for a couple of days and it's dead.

I've not noticed any trouble with my 12"800Combo either on 10.2.4, but it's usually plugged, here or at work.

NavyIntel007
Mar 20, 2003, 11:26 PM
How long will apple continue to ignore the foul cries of iBook batteries dying with 10.2.4?

iJon
Mar 20, 2003, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by NavyIntel007
How long will apple continue to ignore the foul cries of iBook batteries dying with 10.2.4?
didnt you read the first page, 10.2.5 has been seeded, your problem will probably be solved fast.

iJon

ahe
Mar 21, 2003, 04:55 AM
I am waiting for my new iPod to arrive (10 GB PC version). If I do update it, assuming it still has an old software version, would the update change the language of the menus in my iPod? In the spanish Apple website they already put up this last update, and spanish does not appear in the list of languages...

Thanks in advance.

wwworry
Mar 21, 2003, 06:28 AM
Has anyone with an original 5 gig ipod and having battery problems found out how much the update improves battery life?

wwworry
Mar 21, 2003, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by ahe
I am waiting for my new iPod to arrive (10 GB PC version). If I do update it, assuming it still has an old software version, would the update change the language of the menus in my iPod? In the spanish Apple website they already put up this last update, and spanish does not appear in the list of languages...

Thanks in advance.

If you do a restore, which also updates the software, the first question it asks after the restore is what language you want to use. Spanish is one of them.

melchior
Mar 21, 2003, 07:00 AM
with the rapid release of 10.2.5 i guess we can expect a 10.2.6

or will it go further???

Monkeypoo
Mar 21, 2003, 08:15 AM
Okay, so I really have nothing to ask about the update but since I just checked the apple home page and they now have the info about a conference in june where panther will be unveiled, do you think I have to wait until then to get a new ipod? :confused: I keep checking bestbuy (so I can get the 4 year plan) but they haven't gotten any more 20 gig ipods yet. :( Seems like this recent release may be a bandaid until the new ones are released that hopefully will have better battery performance. And don't tell me to check on tuesday...

tomponce
Mar 21, 2003, 08:25 AM
Did this take too long? I was trying to find all these different ways to try and drain the battery. I think I had found a solution which was to have a song play on continuous repeat until the battery wore off. That way, the HD never spun that required the most voltage. dunno...I'm glad Apple came out with this update at least

MacKenzie999
Mar 21, 2003, 11:16 AM
Something else I just noticed is that now while my iPod is fw charging, it constantly reads ok to disconnect instead of warning me not to. This won't exactly change my life but I thought I'd mention it.

Rincewind42
Mar 21, 2003, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Monkeypoo
Okay, so I really have nothing to ask about the update but since I just checked the apple home page and they now have the info about a conference in june where panther will be unveiled, do you think I have to wait until then to get a new ipod? :confused: I keep checking bestbuy (so I can get the 4 year plan) but they haven't gotten any more 20 gig ipods yet. :( Seems like this recent release may be a bandaid until the new ones are released that hopefully will have better battery performance. And don't tell me to check on tuesday...

No, that's the World Wide Developer's Conference, which was just announced today that it has been moved from May 19th to June 23rd, simultainously screwing a whole bunch of people who already bought plane tickets and made hotel reservations :). And, no, I'm not bitter... not completely anyway...

MacHog
Mar 21, 2003, 03:11 PM
...The iPod is a toy, firewire target mode or not.
************! :rolleyes:

Snorlax
Mar 21, 2003, 04:36 PM
When is the new Itunes due to be released(with th e new ipod porhaps..)?

totally_fly
Mar 21, 2003, 05:01 PM
I'm pissed the update didn't bring mp4 support. Bad Bad Bad!!

Snorlax
Mar 21, 2003, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by totally_fly
I'm pissed the update didn't bring mp4 support. Bad Bad Bad!!

eeeeeeh.... I hope you know that mp4 is a video format! I don't think cameron diaz would look so good on the ipod lcd...

i just hate people who say something without thinking it through, the order is: 1. think 2. talk not the other way around!!

ps.I'm sorry if my aggretions against USA or G.Bush will go out on you, but I just hate the guy, sorry, somebody gotta take the ****..

jeffberg
Mar 21, 2003, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Snorlax
eeeeeeh.... I hope you know that mp4 is a video format! I don't think cameron diaz would look so good on the ipod lcd...

i just hate people who say something without thinking it through, the order is: 1. think 2. talk not the other way around!!

ps.I'm sorry if my aggretions against USA or G.Bush will go out on you, but I just hate the guy, sorry, somebody gotta take the ****..

If you must get all technical, MP4 is a movie codec accompanied by AAC audio, so MP4 audio would imply AAC. I would rather have Ogg Vorbis support but I doubt that will ever come.

Look at the war this way, cheaper gas. That justifies all of it. If your not in the US then u don't get cheaper gas cus u didn't help. so ha.

Snorlax
Mar 21, 2003, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by jeffberg
If you must get all technical, MP4 is a movie codec accompanied by AAC audio, so MP4 audio would imply AAC. I would rather have Ogg Vorbis support but I doubt that will ever come.

Look at the war this way, cheaper gas. That justifies all of it. If your not in the US then u don't get cheaper gas cus u didn't help. so ha.

Well I look at the war this way, Saddam should get crushed, yes. But what I don't like is Bush's ignorance to the FN. Also he sounds so dumb all the time, and I can puke on all this god bless america crap, there are other countries also you know... yuck(whiping my hands on my sweater because it's so disgusting). This is what I think Bush thinks of the world(http://fun.drno.de/pics/english/america_big.gif), no offence, but isn't the brightes one I've seen..

vniow
Mar 21, 2003, 08:09 PM
Guys, keep this on topic, if you want to talk politics, there's a whole subforum for it.

http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=47

jeffberg
Mar 21, 2003, 11:07 PM
Well I look at the war this way, Saddam should get crushed, yes. But what I don't like is Bush's ignorance to the FN. Also he sounds so dumb all the time, and I can puke on all this god bless america crap, there are other countries also you know... yuck(whiping my hands on my sweater because it's so disgusting). This is what I think Bush thinks of the world(http://fun.drno.de/pics/english/america_big.gif), no offence, but isn't the brightes one I've seen..

That map is cool. I'm gonna stop fighting because that other guy told me too.

sparks9
Mar 22, 2003, 04:26 AM
sorry dp

sparks9
Mar 22, 2003, 04:27 AM
sorry tp.........server is lagging

sparks9
Mar 22, 2003, 04:28 AM
Originally posted by jeffberg

The gas market is a global market. If it gets cheaper in one country it will in the rest of the world too.

wwworry
Mar 22, 2003, 07:51 AM
This is a weird thread.

KLFloyd
Mar 22, 2003, 09:06 AM
Getting back to the topic of iPods...

I think Apple HAD to fix the battery problem before they could even look at releasing new iPods. The iPod community was screaming, thousands of iPods had been sent back for repair and replacement and Apple couldn't ignore the issue anymore.

Now that this is solved, we can pave the way for new iPods with increased functionality. If the battery dies all the updates and enhancments in the world are useless.

I think Apple will give the iPod community a few weeks to try the update make sure everything is working and gain their confidence back in the product. Then they'll come up with the new iPods. I'm waiting till WWDC and MacWorld before I buy.

Also, for those of you having issues with the update, If you check out the iPod section of the Apple discussion boards there are a number of good posts on the subject with lots of fixes and discussion on the effectivness of the update.

jeffberg
Mar 22, 2003, 09:49 AM
I hope this is true, but I hope it comes before WWDC I need to have one in my hand by July 1st. Also, if they release the iPods this late, just before Macworld. I doubt they would have new ones at Macworld. A lot of people get pissed when the do that, so I think they will try to increase the time. Besides, on ThinkSecret there was a rumor that Macworld will be much smaller this year. They said it won't even include a keynote from Stevey. This means that they may release products just before MacWorld so the people at Macworld can use them.

wolfywolfbits
Mar 23, 2003, 12:10 AM
tjwett are you still having problems?

I was too scared to try 1.2.6 after reading your post, but I got bored so I installed it, and no problems for me. Ipod is now 1.2.6.

abdul
Mar 23, 2003, 05:56 AM
Help i need some information, can you please tell me when the first ipod was released? that is the the 5gb one for the mac. i think it was in late 2002 sometime, but dont know when.

Wry Cooter
Mar 23, 2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by abdul
Help i need some information, can you please tell me when the first ipod was released? that is the the 5gb one for the mac. i think it was in late 2002 sometime, but dont know when.

I got mine the first weekend of availability-- I'm fairly sure it was early november or thereabouts. Not sure about the year. I fairly certain it has been over a year already, which would place it in 2001 at least.

zac4mac
Mar 23, 2003, 11:44 AM
They were announced Oct23rd 2001, officially released Saturday Nov10, 2001. FedEx delivered mine on Nov9. I love it.

Odox
Mar 23, 2003, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by KLFloyd
Getting back to the topic of iPods...

Now that this is solved, we can pave the way for new iPods with increased functionality. If the battery dies all the updates and enhancments in the world are useless.

Not quite true, after all it was an update that fixed the battery problem in the first place :)

Wry Cooter
Mar 23, 2003, 09:26 PM
It was an update that BROUGHT ON the battery woes in the first place for most, the addition of a clock.

The clock is still taking a drain, it is just that the circuit dealing with power management of the battery is smarter, and people are getting more accurate feedback about the amount of power that IS left in their iPod.

jettredmont
Mar 24, 2003, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Wry Cooter
It was an update that BROUGHT ON the battery woes in the first place for most, the addition of a clock.

The clock is still taking a drain, it is just that the circuit dealing with power management of the battery is smarter, and people are getting more accurate feedback about the amount of power that IS left in their iPod.

Um, no. The iPod is getting more accurate info on the remaining charge of the battery, and is thus not shutting down earlier than it should.

The iPod doesn't just go and go until no more charge comes out of its battery like, say, an old Walkman would do. The iPod monitors the battery and, when it is nearing the end of its capacity, initiates a shut down.

If the iPod has bad information on the actual charge left in the battery, then it will shut down early. It remains to be seen if this is the root cause of not of the "deteriorating battery performance issues" others have noticed after about a year of iPod battery use.

The fact that having a clock running 24/7 takes more battery charge than letting the iPod idle is a separate issue. The issue Apple is addressing here is apparent battery deterioration over time.

MeanE
Mar 25, 2003, 08:25 AM
Well I hope the new iPod's are released soon. I went to try and buy a 20 giger today and the sales guy told me to wait. He said his supplier had nothing left but 3 20 gig Windows iPod's (which is what I wanted anyway...but).

I reaaaaaaly need one ;) Although it was fun talking to the Mac technician (for an hour!), trying to convince me to get a Mac.

Odox
Mar 25, 2003, 12:01 PM
Did the sales guy tell you why to wait?
I would have thought that they needed to get rid of the old stock if updates are coming..
Hopefully we'll see something soon, as Monday the 31st is the end of the offer that gives you a free car kit jobbie for buying either the 10gig or 20 one.

MeanE
Mar 25, 2003, 02:40 PM
He told me to wait because iPod's stock is REALLY low...so both him and the technician (being the nice people they are) felt that apple would be announcing a "new line" any day.

I think they did not want me to end up purchasing one of the last few only to have a newer model released a few days later with better specs for the same price.

Odox
Mar 25, 2003, 05:01 PM
Most places have a returns policy if you ask about them (usually about 30 days). Still, I can't even afford an Ipod until they get the 5 gig back in stock - and when that happens - well everyone reckons for an update.

Anyway, the UK store is updating so i'll be checking back soon methinks (ok probably nothing, but they did reduce the lazer tagging before the us site :))

damax452
Mar 25, 2003, 06:11 PM
Im planning on buying an iPod as soon as they are updated. Is it still worth it to buy a 4 yr warranty plan from Best Buy since this latest software update claims to fix the battery issue?:confused:

RLB
Mar 25, 2003, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Odox
Most places have a returns policy if you ask about them (usually about 30 days). Still, I can't even afford an Ipod until they get the 5 gig back in stock - and when that happens - well everyone reckons for an update.

Anyway, the UK store is updating so i'll be checking back soon methinks (ok probably nothing, but they did reduce the lazer tagging before the us site :))

Looks like nothing.

RLB
Mar 25, 2003, 06:48 PM
On 2nd thought: The Ipod section no longer says: New 20 GB ipod, remote, case..."

Hmmm

Snorlax
Mar 25, 2003, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by RLB
On 2nd thought: The Ipod section no longer says: New 20 GB ipod, remote, case..."

Hmmm

What do you mean? where did it say that? Are we talking about the UK apple site here?

Odox
Mar 25, 2003, 06:56 PM
Yes a small, but probably important thing to notice.
The biggest update seems to be the Spring Deals section (used to be winter).
Although the biggest shocker is the refurbished products page - not selling any this week eh?

RLB
Mar 25, 2003, 06:56 PM
If you look at the US site, under starting from 299 (which is bull), it says new 20 gb model, case, in gray writing.

Odox
Mar 25, 2003, 06:57 PM
What do you mean? where did it say that? Are we talking about the UK apple site here?

Yes, thats not to say the US site won't be updated soon with something similar.

Odox
Mar 25, 2003, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by RLB
If you look at the US site, under starting from 299 (which is bull), it says new 20 gb model, case, in gray writing.

Wasn't that always the case?

Snorlax
Mar 25, 2003, 07:00 PM
Oooh, well it's been like it is on the UK site on the swedish site for a couple of days now...but in swedish..

RLB
Mar 25, 2003, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Odox
Wasn't that always the case?

I was trying to show Snorlax what was missing on the UK site. I wasn't trying to make a point

Odox
Mar 25, 2003, 07:03 PM
ahh ok, that makes more sense.