Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

globalwidget

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2002
Something's not right

Downloaded the updater. Got it onto my iPod. (I chose the 'Restore' option after I used Disk Utility to format the iPod HD to Mac OS extended, it was a Windows iPod before and had always worked with my Powerbook G4 flawlessly)

The iPod mounts fine, says it's got the latest software (1.2.6) but iTunes and iSynch refuse to see it. No icon in iTunes when it's attached - so no loading of my tunes. iSynch 'sees' my iPod but lists it's name as 'unknown' and when I try to add it as a device, nothing happens.

BTW, I've reinstalled the last update (version 1.2.1) and still the same thing. Restarted powerbook, nada.

Any suggestions?
--------------
OK! Found my problem, maybe it can help some of the others.

I 'reset' my firewire ports and now everything works as it used to. I'm not sure if it was related to the update or just coincidental but...

1) disconnect all Firewire devices.
2) Shut down computer.
3) disconnect power (including battery?)
4) Wait for 5 minutes.
5) Restart.

Worked for me. Not only does my iPod mount, but iTunes and iSynch recognize and update as they should.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Is anyone else NOT seeing this updater show up when you run Software Update? I've reinstalled 1.2.1 AND iTunes in hopes to get this working again but I still can't use iTunes at all. I've not only trashed the iPod and iTunes prefs but I've trashed EVERY pref file and .plist in my system, still nothing. I've run permissions, disk utility, nothing. I really don't feel like wiping my HD and reinstalling Jag, infact I can't, it's at work and I don't work there anymore. How wonderful! Thanks Apple for unleashing another betaware on us to test for you.

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
How to keep a charge for 10 days!

10 days of standby time? Nice, although kinda pointless considering the iPod shuts off after 10 minutes of inactivity.

I use a 5 gig iPod, and anything that helps the crazy battery in it work past a 50% on the battery meter is a welcome update.
Originally posted by chewbaccapits
By the way, glad to see apple addressing the battery issue...If there are no new iPod (hardware) updates by mid-April, I'm buying a 5 giger....Tired of waiting.
Good luck trying to find one! You're probably better off waiting for a price drop on the 10 gig (next Tuesday! :p).

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
Originally posted by tjwett
Is anyone else NOT seeing this updater show up when you run Software Update? I've reinstalled 1.2.1 AND iTunes in hopes to get this working again but I still can't use iTunes at all. I've not only trashed the iPod and iTunes prefs but I've trashed EVERY pref file and .plist in my system, still nothing. I've run permissions, disk utility, nothing. I really don't feel like wiping my HD and reinstalling Jag, infact I can't, it's at work and I don't work there anymore. How wonderful! Thanks Apple for unleashing another betaware on us to test for you.

Why the heck were you using your iPod at work in the first place? Your computer at work is not a toy, and should not be connected to any either. The iPod is a toy, firewire target mode or not.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by phampton81
When you update, the ipod umounts, then you need to unplug it and plug it back it for the update to load on the ipod.
trust me, i know what im doing, there is something very strange going on with this, i fixed the problem but it was very weird. the ipod update had never been this difficult in the past, there was somethin gabout my powerbok and powermac it didnt like.

iJon

rugby

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2002
chicago
Originally posted by yzedf
Why the heck were you using your iPod at work in the first place? Your computer at work is not a toy, and should not be connected to any either. The iPod is a toy, firewire target mode or not.

I use my ipod at work all the time. I have it hooked up to my G4/733 and the update went quite well. I'm so crazy!

The ipod is not just a toy for me, it's my livelihood. I am working on some projects and I bring a copy home every night for off-sight storage.

BTW, all the computers at work are my toys.

madmark

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2002
Re: How to keep a charge for 10 days!

Originally posted by pyrotoaster
10 days of standby time? Nice, although kinda pointless considering the iPod shuts off after 10 minutes of inactivity.
The iPod uses power even when "off". This power is used to preserve the RAM contents and allows the instant-on you are use to. If the RAM contents are lost, it takes 20-30 seconds to re-boot your iPod. Have you ever reset your iPod (holding Menu & Play buttons for 5 seconds)? That is a re-boot.

-MM

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
What on earth are you talking about? Maybe you misunderstood what I wrote. I said I can't boot from the Jag CD because I don't have it anymore. It was left in my office when the company went out of business. I've never brought my iPod to work in my life and even if I did it wouldn't be your place to say whether it's right or wrong. Read more carefully before you get loud with an attitude.

bryng

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2003
Originally posted by yzedf Why the heck were you using your iPod at work in the first place? Your computer at work is not a toy, and should not be connected to any either. The iPod is a toy, firewire target mode or not.

Actually, an iPod is extremely useful for shifting data between home and work, for those of us who can't quite get everything done in a normal working day...

wwworry

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2002
Re: bah!

This could be a huge update for the iPod. Ever since the last updates my original 5 gig has not been of much use because the battery was always dying. Testing it now.

+

It's a fact that listening to music can help you work faster at certain tasks.

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK

I suspect this post was tounge-in cheek, but if it wasn't...

If the iPod in F/W disk mode is a toy, why would Dr Will Gilbert carry around the human genome project on it?

Just because it is in a stylish case, and can act as an MP3 player, does not make it a toy, it is no different from any firewire drive.

Please keep offensive posts to a minimum. It is much more productive for people to post their experiences with the update and their views on 10.2.5.

AppleMatt

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002

some people like listening to music as they work, it helps them think. oh yeah, I was doing a little clerical work on the weekends and after school. My boss was more concened about where he could get one than whether or not I was lsitneing to music :)

Apple][Forever

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2002

You posted around 2:30. Now, you're in CT so that's 3:30 your time. Do you have a 9-5 job? If so, why are you on a mac message board from work? That's worse than using an iPod!

suneun

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2002
I downloaded the file from the url link. Software Update didn't have it listed. Then I installed the package. My iPod was connected already, so I ejected it and hooked it back up. No go. It was still 1.2.1.

I then found the installer in the Utilities folder of Apps and ran the 1.2.6 installer. Then I unlocked the window, and installed onto the iPod. It worked.

Yey. I definitely hope it improves the standing battery time. Also, I had my iPod crash for the first time ever last weekend. I turned it on, hit a playlist, and it froze while spinning up to start the song. It just stayed in that screen for a long time until it ran out of battery. Plugging it into my machine fixed it, though.

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002

oh man:D

i loved the responses to this post. it really pisses me off when people go around pretending their preference should be everyones preference..or their ideas should be everyones ideas.

they remind me of dictators.

Odox

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2003
Possibly this update this a good indication of Ipod updates soon?
(ok so they've been rumored for months) but Apple would be foolish not to solve the battery problem before releasing a new line. Now they've got it out the way they can focus on releasing them - soon please :D

NavyIntel007

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
Tampa, FL
Originally posted by chewbaccapits
By the way, glad to see apple addressing the battery issue...If there are no new iPod (hardware) updates by mid-April, I'm buying a 5 giger....Tired of waiting.

10.2.5 needs to do something about the ibook battery bug. I've lost at least an hour battery life.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
"10.2.5 needs to do something about the ibook battery bug. I've lost at least an hour battery life."

hear hear! Couldn't agree more.

j33pd0g

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
Central NY
iPod update

I also had no problems running the update or opening iTunes after the update. When the updater in iTunes asked me to unplug my iPod I did.
I saw the apple logo for a few short seconds.. and then I saw a pic of a firewire cable on my iPod screen... Thats when I plugged it back in - everything was fine from there.

I have a 5 gig iPod.

MacBoy88

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2003
Illinois
10.2.5 :D

Apple needs this update so bad because 10.2.4
is awful !! I had it installed on my iBook & my PowerMac MDD, and it screwed up the battery on my iBook, my modem on both, and my clock on both

I had it on there for TWO DAYS and I reverted back to 10.2.3.

And to top it off, at my school, SU ran over night and placed 10.2.4 on all of the macs at my school, so me being the computer club president, had to go to each one a revert back to 10.2.3!!

Plus, when I updated on my iBook I lost my 72 DAY UPTIME :eek: :eek:

BTW, I have the iPod update and it is awesome.

MacBoy88, 14

zac4mac

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2002
near Boulder, CO. USA
Update ran fine - followed directions and updated.

I was a little bit worried, for naught. Both 'Pod and iTunes work fine.

Original 5GB(rec'd Nov 9, 2001) still running a full 9+ hr day before the update, hope the standby time improves; sometimes I don't use it for a couple of days and it's dead.

I've not noticed any trouble with my 12"800Combo either on 10.2.4, but it's usually plugged, here or at work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.