PDA

View Full Version : Best Desktop Speaker Set

eVolcre
Mar 21, 2003, 12:56 PM
I'm placing an order for a brand spanking new Apple Powerbook 12", my first Mac.

What's the best speaker system? HK Soundstix, JBL Creature or something else all together?

Cost is not a factor in this decision ... I want the best. Looks, however, definitely are.

I do have a high end 5.1 HT system, but would prefer a dedicated two speaker+sub set for my home office desk.

Thanks in advance, EV

Rower_CPU
Mar 21, 2003, 01:02 PM
I'm a big fan of Klipsch multimedia speakers.
http://www.klipsch.com
Here's the link directly to the 2.1 system: http://www.klipsch.com/products/productdetail.asp?id=76&line=Promedia

Not the prettiest speakers, but definitely top quality sound.

eVolcre
Mar 21, 2003, 01:08 PM
Thanks mate. For this purchase though, I am definitely going to pick form over function. I have my bad a$$ system allready, and would really prefer something to match the look of my work desk.

Here's what the set is for 'matching consideration'

Icurve with 12" powerbook, logitech elite duo slver/black keyboard, apple 23" widescreen , canon scanner that is silver in colour and a powermate, also silver.

Just can't make up my mind between the HK or JBL. They both 'match' one matches the silverthe other .. icurve and screen.

What movie is your signature's quote from?

Cheers EV

Heart Break Kid
Mar 21, 2003, 01:20 PM
If im not mistaken his quote is taken from an interview Bruce Lee did..not from an actual movie. Its on kazzaa under the heading "lost interview with Bruce Lee"...

here is a true legend. the man is a genetic freak. the video shows him doing his legendary 1 finger pushups as well as explaining the philosophy of jeet kune do

conceptdev
Mar 21, 2003, 01:44 PM
I recommend the Creature Speakers, we use them here with an ipod as a stereo they sound good to and look great just about anywhere.

BTW that quote can get you good marks when used ina an international business management paper.

eVolcre
Mar 21, 2003, 02:19 PM
Concept ... so you saying the IPOD has a USB out to the speakers? so they can be run without a receiver/amp/computer?

International Business paper ... I assume you're referrng to Bruce Lee and not the tarot card people dying comment ?:D

[QUOTE]here is a true legend. the man is a genetic freak.[/B]

Seriously. Big fan here. I might have to go mozee along Kazaa to find this.

Looks like the creature to me. I'll post the official purhase here wwhen completed.

Thanks for your help all. Surprised noone commented on the HK sound sticks...

EV

conceptdev
Mar 21, 2003, 02:32 PM
The JBL Creature Speakers are not USB based, unless they have changed since we bought one a few months ago.

And yes it is the Bruce Lee quote, outsourcing, decentralization, currency fluctuations, yadda yadda yadda.

Xero
Mar 21, 2003, 03:43 PM
just thought id throw this out there. ive heard only REALLY good things about Monsoon's line of PC speakers. you should check them out, though it sounds like your really only going for looks. :( though the creatures may look good to some, i doubt the sound quality is that great. PC speakers in general have pretty mediocre sound quality. i suggest you check out monsoon.

EDIT: im not sure what made you think any PC speakers would require a USB port AND a "receiver". as far as i know, most consumer speakers in the world use Stereo Analogue or S/PDIF. :rolleyes:

skymaXimus
Mar 22, 2003, 12:03 AM
Do you plan on using the apple 23 display w/ your new powerbook? if so, how?

Kwyjibo
Mar 22, 2003, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by skymaXimus
Do you plan on using the apple 23 display w/ your new powerbook? if so, how?

I would assume hes going to get the display with an adc to dvi converter, then a dvi to vga? if he wants to use that combo. or a Adc to vga converter. Either way its porbably not worth the extra $$$$. or He may not have read the specs on the 12in pbook for tha use...oops.

I have a set of monsoon PM-9s, they look awesome and man reviewers say they sound as good as the klipsach at half the price. I highyl suggest you check out this link and consider them.

http://www.monsoonaudio.com/index_mmedia.htm

I can't say enough good things about them, they are flat panel and they bass kicks butt. They are also perfectly clear at higher volumes :) Go with the monsoons you will be happy. and they are silver !!

Rower_CPU
Mar 22, 2003, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by Kwyjibo
I have a set of monsoon PM-9s, they look awesome and man reviewers say they sound as good as the klipsach at half the price. I highyl suggest you check out this link and consider them.

I can't say enough good things about them, they are flat panel and they bass kicks butt. They are also perfectly clear at higher volumes :) Go with the monsoons you will be happy.

Do you have a link to a review? I have a hard time believing they put out similar sound to the Klipschs.

alset
Mar 22, 2003, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
I'm a big fan of Klipsch multimedia speakers.
http://www.klipsch.com
Here's the link directly to the 2.1 system: http://www.klipsch.com/products/productdetail.asp?id=76&line=Promedia

Not the prettiest speakers, but definitely top quality sound.

I'm gonna have to go with Klipsch, as well. They provide the most superb, crisp, bright, detailed sound available. Horned speakers are it.

Dan

Winston Smith
Mar 22, 2003, 03:56 AM
I'm looking to buy a similar setup but I'm thinking of putting a TDK setup with it. (NXT Flat panels) that look good and sound much better certainly than the creatures to my ears (albeit in showrooms)

Anyone else use these?

http://www.tdk.com/speakers/tremor.ht

buseman
Mar 22, 2003, 06:57 AM
The Soundsticks!!

Designed by Apple - engineered by Harman/Kardon. I cant think of a better combo:)

They sound excellent and the design is matching the rest.

eVolcre
Mar 22, 2003, 08:26 AM
Bought the creatures yesterday, cancelled them and purchased the Monsoon 9's ths AM> Yes, I am looking for looks first, as I said, I have a kickin system allready.

The silver on the speakers helped, it matches my decor.

Here's what the destop now looks like .. icurve, pb12 , scanner, logitch black/grey keoyboard , speakers (currently monsoon) .

Any other thoughts>?

Kwyjibo
Mar 22, 2003, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
Do you have a link to a review? I have a hard time believing they put out similar sound to the Klipschs.

Well I actually researched the speaker issue quite a bit. One of my friends recently bought a set of klipsch 2.1 speakers for his winbox so I hooked up my iBook to it and then compared it with the sound on the PM-9's. I admit the klipsch sound great, but imo they aren't worth double the price maybe twenty bucks more at most.

http://www.mymac.com/robertson/planar_1.23.03.shtml

the klispch comaprision like my own.
http://www.epinions.com/content_84445073028

the only thing all the ads really stress is haivng them in proper position which is not tough at all (pictures are in the box)

iJon
Mar 22, 2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Kwyjibo
I would assume hes going to get the display with an adc to dvi converter, then a dvi to vga? if he wants to use that combo. or a Adc to vga converter. Either way its porbably not worth the extra $$$$. or He may not have read the specs on the 12in pbook for tha use...oops.

I can't say enough good things about them, they are flat panel and they bass kicks butt. They are also perfectly clear at higher volumes :) Go with the monsoons you will be happy. and they are silver !!
adc to dvi to vga to rgb will not work. there is a conflict with male and female connectors if you think of it. Get the creatures, i have the sound sticks and the creatures and the creatures sound as good as the sound sticks and the creatures look cooler and are cheaper.

iJon

comrade
Mar 22, 2003, 12:20 PM
I'm very happy with my Logitech z-560's. Plenty of power, very clear, very cool looking (when you take off the covers).

Eckslusive
Mar 22, 2003, 03:33 PM
I LOVE THE SOUND STICKS....not only do they sound good but they look cool....and you get 4 little tiny speakers which is more powerful than 1 medium sized one...
I hvae one..and i dont have any regrets buying it.

Foxer
Mar 22, 2003, 05:28 PM
I've got botht he soundsticks and the creatures. Soundsticks sound much, much better. If those are yor choices, go with the HK product. I can't speak to the other options.

iJon
Mar 22, 2003, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Foxer
I've got botht he soundsticks and the creatures. Soundsticks sound much, much better. If those are yor choices, go with the HK product. I can't speak to the other options.
creatures are owned by jbl, which is owned by harmon kardon, who makes the sound sticks,lol.

iJon

Eckslusive
Mar 22, 2003, 06:01 PM
yea but HK actually made the Soundsticks and JBL, a subdivision of Hk, made the Creatures. And the speakers are totally different...

eVolcre
Mar 22, 2003, 10:39 PM
I ended up ordering both the Creatures and the Monsoon silver speaker set. Looks like the monsoon speakers won out.

Yes, I was looking for style and the silver colour works. That, and all the glowing reviews, pushed me to them.

Lets hope I made the right choice ... :)

Thanks for all your help everyone ...

Eckslusive
Mar 22, 2003, 11:25 PM
oh yea the monsoon..its kidna werid...

iJon
Mar 23, 2003, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by eVolcre
I ended up ordering both the Creatures and the Monsoon silver speaker set. Looks like the monsoon speakers won out.

Yes, I was looking for style and the silver colour works. That, and all the glowing reviews, pushed me to them.

Lets hope I made the right choice ... :)

Thanks for all your help everyone ...
good choices, you will like them.

iJon

eVolcre
Mar 28, 2003, 04:59 PM
Monsoon it is. Sent the creatures back. This is witout a listen btw. Just liked the heft and apparent quality of the monsoons.

and you get 4 little tiny speakers which is more powerful than 1 medium sized one...

Are you serious? Or is this some briliiant sarcasm that slipped by me. WHat in the world does number/size of big/tiny speakers have to do with sound quality ?

EV

Eckslusive
Mar 28, 2003, 05:02 PM
Well on the SoundSticks, you get 4 little speakers (on one side, which then makes it 8) so it distributes the sound equally and thats why the sound is so superior. And plus, it looks nicer than the monsoon

tjwett
Mar 28, 2003, 05:23 PM
Minipods!

http://www.minipods.com

Don't buy them from a store, they'll cost you up to $600. Go on ebay, there is a guy in Canada that gets AMAZING deals from the UK. I got mine for $180!!! Just do yourself a favor and read up on these, you won't be sorry.

alset
Mar 29, 2003, 06:05 AM
Originally posted by eVolcre
WHat in the world does number/size of big/tiny speakers have to do with sound quality ?

EV

Quality AND power. Phase reinforcement, so the speakers don't have to work as hard and the air moves more easily. One of my instructors told me something else about the superiority of that design, but I forgot the details. I'll post after I see him next week.

Dan

eVolcre
Mar 29, 2003, 07:29 AM
Well wow! I learned something new. Post back after talking to your pro f.... I'm curious.

Re: minipods. They look great but at $180 are blurring theline between desktop speakers are part of a 5.1 system.

If I cross the mental $100 barrier, I may as well hook my powerbook up to m main system which blows everythign else out of the water.

My counter to the minipods are these Norh speakers. 150/pr and look like the minipods is terms of sty;e etc.

http://www.norh.com/products/norh3/index.html

I swear by Norh btw. Great company

EV

eVolcre
Mar 29, 2003, 07:33 AM
Well, I post a response and that brings up another questions. Thanks for helping you guys ... Ill post up a ncie pic when Im done ...

Speaking of connecting up a powerbook to my HT system ....

How would I go about doing it? Bypassing the monsoon etc and directly using my receiver that powers a Energy satellite 5 speaker and sub system. Possible?

or is it too much of a bother and ill be better off with little speakers for the computer?

K

Eckslusive
Mar 29, 2003, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by alset
Quality AND power. Phase reinforcement, so the speakers don't have to work as hard and the air moves more easily.

Dan

YES THANK YOU DAN!!

ian559
Apr 1, 2003, 06:56 AM
I luv my soundsticks. I have a set hooked up to my 733 quicksilver powermac. The sound is awesome. I run all the music for our local pee wee sports programs and last year during our cheerleader compitition the sound system went out in our local high school gym. I ran home and got my soundsticks. I hooked them up to the imac I run things on and let it rip!!!!!!! I talked though a mike hooked to a BOOM BOX and ran the music through the sticks. I know of at least 6 people that switched to mac just from that imprompto save!!! We had at least 100 people come over after just to look at the setup and talk about how awesome the sound was out of these tiny speakers!!!!!!!!