Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluetorch18

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2006
Hello, I have a iMac G5 1.8GHz w/ 512MB of RAM I use for Garageband recording. I also use a M-Audio FastTrack guitar/mic recording interface for recording guitar/vocals. Sometime when I am recording, the sound just completely cuts out, I can't playback or hear the recording at all, but I can keep recording, without monitors and sound. Is there anything I can do about this? Thanks.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
difficult to say what the deal is. are you running audio to an external drive? if not, you may be overloading the machine.

in PTLE, if the machine gets overburdened, the first thing that gets sacrificed are the on-screen redraws. i don't know if GB is intentionaly sacrificing stuff, but i'd include that as a possibility.

bluetorch18

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2006
zimv20 said:
difficult to say what the deal is. are you running audio to an external drive? if not, you may be overloading the machine.

in PTLE, if the machine gets overburdened, the first thing that gets sacrificed are the on-screen redraws. i don't know if GB is intentionaly sacrificing stuff, but i'd include that as a possibility.

I'm running it right onto my iMac's internal HD. I should also mention that when I restart Garageband everything works fine for me...until it happens again...:confused:

mykelradar

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2006
New Orleans, LA
bluetorch18 said:
Sometime when I am recording, the sound just completely cuts out, I can't playback or hear the recording at all, but I can keep recording, without monitors and sound. Is there anything I can do about this? Thanks.

I've come across this problem before (especially when I've got real instrument tracks). What works for me is rebooting and running nothing but GarageBand when you're recording.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.