PDA

View Full Version : Crucial now selling Mac Pro Ram again

glassbathroom
Aug 25, 2006, 03:55 AM
Crucial UK and US are now selling Mac Pro Ram again, but only in 512MB modules.

2x512MB - 105.99 (ex VAT) or $199.99

1x512MB - 55.99 (ex VAT) or $104.99

Get it while its hot! ......................or should that be cool. :)

glassbathroom
Aug 25, 2006, 04:02 AM
The only problem is that when you try and order, you get this message. So I guess they haven't got it sorted out yet.

Part Availability Notice
We are sorry, but the product you selected is temporarily out of stock. However, we are constantly replenishing our inventory and there's a good chance that this product will become available soon.

robbieduncan
Aug 25, 2006, 04:27 AM
What use is 1x512? You have to install them in pairs!

glassbathroom
Aug 25, 2006, 04:38 AM
Come on Locatel. I know you want to.................;) ;)

Note : I am not saying that ayone should buy this RAM, I am just passing on the news.

^squirrel^
Aug 25, 2006, 05:03 AM
Thats good then saves me 100. Is it as good as the Apple ram?

glassbathroom
Aug 25, 2006, 05:06 AM
Thats good then saves me 100. Is it as good as the Apple ram?

Who really knows. I have ordered from Crucial before and they provided a good service. The RAM has some guarantees so you can return it if it doesn't work or fails.

mrgreen4242
Aug 25, 2006, 11:16 AM
What use is 1x512? You have to install them in pairs!

Actually, didn't barefeats or someone test that and it turned out that while you SHOULD install them in pairs it will work with single modules?

Anyways, not a bad price, really. I assume they have some sort of heat sink on them, as Apple makes such a big deal about the sinks, and Crucial has a pretty good warranty on their products...

Since there are 8 modules for RAM, 2 with 512's in them by default you could set up a 4gb machine for "only" $600, which has GOT to be enough for 95% of the people out there. I know there are those out there with 8gb+ setups, but seriously, unless you are doing some kind of crazy intense vidoe editing, 4gb must get you by pretty well, no?

glassbathroom
Aug 25, 2006, 11:23 AM
Actually, didn't barefeats or someone test that and it turned out that while you SHOULD install them in pairs it will work with single modules?

Anyways, not a bad price, really. I assume they have some sort of heat sink on them, as Apple makes such a big deal about the sinks, and Crucial has a pretty good warranty on their products...

Since there are 8 modules for RAM, 2 with 512's in them by default you could set up a 4gb machine for "only" $600, which has GOT to be enough for 95% of the people out there. I know there are those out there with 8gb+ setups, but seriously, unless you are doing some kind of crazy intense vidoe editing, 4gb must get you by pretty well, no?

The image looks similar to the Apple version with heat sinks.

nylon
Aug 25, 2006, 11:28 AM
I just placed an order with Crucial for 2 x 512MB FB-DIMM without issue.

glassbathroom
Aug 25, 2006, 11:34 AM
I just placed an order with Crucial for 2 x 512MB FB-DIMM without issue.

Well spotted. They now appear to be shipping from the US, but not in the UK yet. Hopefully it won't be long.

Mr. Mister
Aug 25, 2006, 11:54 AM
Yay, this is good. I'll probably buy a gig when my comp ships.

Mr. Mister
Aug 25, 2006, 12:04 PM
Another vendor:

http://www.transintl.com/store/category.cfm?Category=2648&RequestTimeOut=500

Prettier too:

http://www.transintl.com/store/images/applcomp/MacProxeon.jpg

topgunn
Aug 25, 2006, 12:18 PM
Another vendor:

Prettier too:

And expensive.

I just needed an additional 1GB (2GB total) so I also ordered the 2x512 set from Crucial. It's cheaper than the Kingston RAM at Newegg and it appears to have the big heat sinks like the Apple RAM. Win-win.

milozauckerman
Aug 25, 2006, 12:35 PM
Since there are 8 modules for RAM, 2 with 512's in them by default you could set up a 4gb machine for "only" $600, which has GOT to be enough for 95% of the people out there.

I would wait until someone tests a configuration like that. The serial latency of FB-DIMMs could make 8x512MB less than ideal for usage.

nylon
Aug 25, 2006, 12:59 PM
Since there are 8 modules for RAM, 2 with 512's in them by default you could set up a 4gb machine for "only" $600, which has GOT to be enough for 95% of the people out there.

I would think that 2GB is more than enough for 95% of the people out there.

milozauckerman
Aug 25, 2006, 01:13 PM
old saying - RAM is like money, you can never have too much. 2GB is the bare minimum I'd accept for running Aperture, much less Photoshop (which liked 2GB+ pre-Rosetta), and if you're doing video editing the more the merrier.

nylon
Aug 25, 2006, 02:42 PM
I would like to see performance comparisons with 8 x 512MB modules vs. 4 x 1 GB and see if there is a considerable difference in performance.

Mr. Mister
Aug 25, 2006, 03:13 PM
I don't think there will be since it's quad-channel not octo-channel. There's a marginal difference of four versus two though.

Mr. Mister
Aug 25, 2006, 03:14 PM
And expensive.

I just needed an additional 1GB (2GB total) so I also ordered the 2x512 set from Crucial. It's cheaper than the Kingston RAM at Newegg and it appears to have the big heat sinks like the Apple RAM. Win-win.
Please take pictures when you get it, the angle on the Crucial site gives a wierd idea of what it looks like and I'd be interested seeing it side by side with the Apple RAM.

Spanky Deluxe
Aug 25, 2006, 05:20 PM
I wonder how long it'll take for them to get 1gb dimms on the market now. Did they have them before they had to take everything off?

Mr. Mister
Aug 26, 2006, 08:58 AM
Somebody over on the Appleinsider forums emailed them and they said that they'll have 1GB and possible other sizes in 1-2 weeks.

nylon
Aug 26, 2006, 01:43 PM
My Crucial Mac Pro modules shipped out this morning. I should have them by Monday morning. I will post pics when they arrive.

glassbathroom
Aug 29, 2006, 10:43 AM
Crucial now showing 2Gb modules (single and pairs), but still no 1Gb modules. Strange!!

The modules are not available to order yet. You get the parts out of stock screen, if you try.

milozauckerman
Aug 29, 2006, 12:06 PM
Prices seem to climb every time I look - 2x512 went from 199 to 211 yesterday to 220 today, and those 2GB prices aren't good at all.

holmespun
Aug 29, 2006, 01:49 PM
For some reason they are not listed on the page, but I have a few of these coming tomorrow.

http://www.crucial.com/store/MPartspecs.Asp?mtbpoid=D910570FA5CA7304&WSMD=Mac+Pro&WSPN=CT576475

MovieCutter
Aug 29, 2006, 01:51 PM
Prices seem to climb every time I look - 2x512 went from 199 to 211 yesterday to 220 today, and those 2GB prices aren't good at all.

Clear your cookies and empty your cache, that should help :rolleyes:

I'mAMac
Aug 29, 2006, 01:53 PM
Just make sure that if you do buy RAM it is apple ram or apple certified because you DO need those massive heatsinks on there.

milozauckerman
Aug 29, 2006, 02:34 PM
Oops on my part - the 2GB price (on the main page) is pretty good, really. I was reading it as 2x1GB for $500 rather than 1x2GB.

topgunn
Aug 29, 2006, 02:39 PM
Just make sure that if you do buy RAM it is apple ram or apple certified because you DO need those massive heatsinks on there.
Not true. There are numerous people who are happily using Kingston RAM purchased from Newegg in their Mac Pro's with standard heatsinks.

nylon
Aug 29, 2006, 02:42 PM
Holy crap, I purchased 2 x 512MB kit on Friday for $199 and today it is at $218. I guess demand must be outstripping supply.

milozauckerman
Aug 29, 2006, 02:46 PM
Tests on the Kingston (and other heat-spreader) RAM show that after usage it's running 15-20C hotter than heatsinked RAM. It may not be impacting performance now, but that's quite a difference - in a $3000 machine, I'd err on the side of caution.

MacCurry
Aug 29, 2006, 04:15 PM
Yesterday I ordered the 1GB (2-512MB) from Crucial for $199 and it was shipped. I'll have it by Thursday:) , but unfortunately my Mac Pro from B&H Photo won't be here until Tuesday after Labor Day.:(

Macmadant
Aug 29, 2006, 05:38 PM
how does buffered Ram and Unbuffered ram differ apart from appearance lol

I'mAMac
Aug 29, 2006, 05:47 PM
Not true. There are numerous people who are happily using Kingston RAM purchased from Newegg in their Mac Pro's with standard heatsinks.
That's news to me, from what i've heard, the comp gets a bit hot with anything but apple ram.

Windshadow
Aug 29, 2006, 05:57 PM
Something strange here
http://www.crucial.com/store/MPartspecs.Asp?mtbpoid=D910570FA5CA7304&WSMD=Mac+Pro&WSPN=CT576475
and
http://www.crucial.com/store/MPartspecs.Asp?mtbpoid=0F893FE9A5CA7304&WSMD=Mac+Pro&WSPN=CT579442
look to me to be the same item except for stock number and price...
and the dif is not small! US $309.99 for the first link which you provided and i just used and US $432.99 on the other one

What am I missing?

For some reason they are not listed on the page, but I have a few of these coming tomorrow.

Mr. Mister
Aug 29, 2006, 06:25 PM
how does buffered Ram and Unbuffered ram differ apart from appearance lol
...uh, it doesn't differ in appearance.

Mr. Mister
Aug 29, 2006, 06:27 PM
Holy crap, I purchased 2 x 512MB kit on Friday for $199 and today it is at $218. I guess demand must be outstripping supply.
Why would that make the price go up?

I'mAMac
Aug 29, 2006, 06:37 PM
It doesnt seem like crucial has all that great prices.

holmespun
Aug 29, 2006, 07:08 PM
They told me on the phone the more expensive one was "Apple Certified", although the cheaper one says right on the page that it is apple certified. I think they just haven't updated their numbers yet. The cheaper one is a link I saved from a couple of weeks ago. They both have the same heat spreaders.

When I bought 4GB two days ago, they were 290 per kit. I may have to buy another 2GB before they adjust the prices, if that is in fact what is going on :)

Something strange here
and
http://www.crucial.com/store/MPartspecs.Asp?mtbpoid=0F893FE9A5CA7304&WSMD=Mac+Pro&WSPN=CT579442
and the dif is not small! US $309.99 for the first link which you provided and i just used and US $432.99 on the other one

What am I missing?

suneohair
Aug 30, 2006, 09:46 AM
The price keeps going up. This is insane. Crucial really are crooks. Crikey

nylon
Aug 30, 2006, 12:59 PM
Why would that make the price go up?

Elementry economics my dear Watson.

Mr. Mister
Aug 30, 2006, 01:24 PM
Elementry economics my dear Watson.
Supply/demand doesn't make sense in this context since a) the supply isn't visible to the consumer and b) there are tons of alternatives on the market.

milozauckerman
Aug 30, 2006, 01:54 PM
Which alternatives to Crucial's 2x512 set exist? Apple charges more, OWC doesn't carry them, and others have heat spreaders rather than sinks.

(anyway, the concept of supply and demand require that the consumer have access to 'supply' numbers)

nylon
Aug 30, 2006, 01:57 PM
Supply/demand doesn't make sense in this context since a) the supply isn't visible to the consumer and b) there are tons of alternatives on the market.

It's not about what supply is viewable to the consumer. It's about what supply is available to sell by the seller vs. the demand on that seller for the available product.

Additionally although there are alternatives on the market. They do not carry the same warranty and are not necessarily to Apple's specs. Currently Kingston does not have any modules available for the Mac Pro. So the only place you can purchase direct from the Manufacturer is either Apple or Crucial.

Crucial maintains an active commodity market on its memory products. Much like a stock market. As their stocks of a particular memory product decline and demand is maintained, their prices rise. This is what has been happening over the last few days. Crucial has been running out of stock on some of the Mac Pro modules on a daily basis.

One should also take into consideration that Crucial chips are exactly the same chips that ship with the Mac Pro. I mean exactly the same model numbers the, same stickers, same heat spreaders, identical in every respect.

holmespun
Aug 30, 2006, 08:08 PM
Something strange here
and

What am I missing?

Well, they came today and despite the pictures on their site and telling me on the phone that they were the same heat spreaders, they are not. The less expensive sticks came with the small heat spreaders. I was disappointed when they pulled my first order three weeks ago, now they just lied to me. So much for a good deal.

milozauckerman
Aug 30, 2006, 08:34 PM
Call and raise hell. Do it before they change the image on their page - you purchased RAM clearly depicted with large heatsinks, you expect that RAM or a refund.

holmespun
Aug 30, 2006, 09:23 PM
Call and raise hell. Do it before they change the image on their page - you purchased RAM clearly depicted with large heatsinks, you expect that RAM or a refund.

I plan to. I just wish I didn't have to wait until tomorrow morning to do so.

freezerburrn
Aug 31, 2006, 04:49 AM
Does anyone have any pictures of actual crucial ram alongside apple ram?

PowerMike G5
Aug 31, 2006, 09:38 AM
I ordered from Crucial on the 28th and recieved them yesterday (2X512MB). Whne I installed them, I was surprised to find that the crucial RAM was the EXACT SAME ram that came with my MAC Pro, (same maker, look, everything). I installed it and it works perfectly fine.

suneohair
Aug 31, 2006, 10:04 AM
I want some pictures of a Macmall Mac Pro and an Apple Mac Pro, can anybody here post some comparison shots?

The joke is: Apple RAM is Crucial RAM sold by Apple. Crucial/Micron is their supplier.

Actually the current ram in the Mac Pro in produced by Nanya.

Trippy Jr
Aug 31, 2006, 10:04 AM
The joke is: Apple RAM is Crucial RAM sold by Apple. Crucial/Micron is their supplier.

Oh? Looks different to me...

Trippy Jr
Aug 31, 2006, 10:06 AM
I ordered from Crucial on the 28th and recieved them yesterday (2X512MB). Whne I installed them, I was surprised to find that the crucial RAM was the EXACT SAME ram that came with my MAC Pro, (same maker, look, everything). I installed it and it works perfectly fine.

Please take some pictures of this. It's a little strange. Apple's supplier is Nanya, but Crucial is the retail side of Micron - two entirely different memory manufacturers. I'm surprised they be exactly the same, aside from looks.

topgunn
Aug 31, 2006, 12:15 PM
I received my Crucial RAM today. They arrived as pictured on their website with the enormous heatsinks and all.

When I have ordered from Crucial in the past, the RAM has come in a box that is only slightly larger than the memory itself. This RAM on the other hand came in a box that measured 18x15x4 (inches). I thought, "Surely this isn't my RAM." I open the box and sure enough, there are my two sticks of RAM. They were shipped in a tray that held 20 sticks with an entirely empty tray beneath it the first tray. And these are heavy trays, too. I guess they were finishing of a tray of these bad boys and decided to just ship them out in the original packaging. This takes the cake for overpackaging in my book.

phantasm10
Aug 31, 2006, 03:17 PM
Well, they came today and despite the pictures on their site and telling me on the phone that they were the same heat spreaders, they are not. The less expensive sticks came with the small heat spreaders. I was disappointed when they pulled my first order three weeks ago, now they just lied to me. So much for a good deal.

So what was the result of your phone call? I got mine with standard sinks. The guy I talked to said he wasn't even aware they had 2gb kits with the larger sinks available and that they shipped the wrong ram and would issue an RMA.

I would have to reorder the correct memory later at whatever price was offered on the website.

mistafreeze
Aug 31, 2006, 06:57 PM
top gun whats the link to the ones you bought with the big heatsinks?

macenforcer
Aug 31, 2006, 08:04 PM
Well crucial finally stocks the apple ram and the prices are a joke. Just picked up 4gb of Kingston ram from newegg for $699 and its perfect. Crucial wants $1100 for same ram. I don't think 2 freakin heatsinks are worth $400 do you?

Silentwave
Aug 31, 2006, 08:21 PM
Well crucial finally stocks the apple ram and the prices are a joke. Just picked up 4gb of Kingston ram from newegg for $699 and its perfect. Crucial wants $1100 for same ram. I don't think 2 freakin heatsinks are worth $400 do you?
Not necessarily, perhaps if it means my system is safe though.

The $1100 package at Crucial is 2x2GB sticks. At Newegg 2x2GB Kingstons with very very small heat sinks runs you about 750. considering the computer is supposed to run better on 4 identical sticks rather than 2 (quad channel memory) I'd rather pick up 4x1Gb sticks with the big heat sinks at crucial for about 850. But thats jus personal preference.

MacCurry
Aug 31, 2006, 10:07 PM
I received my Crucial RAM today. They arrived as pictured on their website with the enormous heatsinks and all.

When I have ordered from Crucial in the past, the RAM has come in a box that is only slightly larger than the memory itself. This RAM on the other hand came in a box that measured 18x15x4 (inches). I thought, "Surely this isn't my RAM." I open the box and sure enough, there are my two sticks of RAM. They were shipped in a tray that held 20 sticks with an entirely empty tray beneath it the first tray. And these are heavy trays, too. I guess they were finishing of a tray of these bad boys and decided to just ship them out in the original packaging. This takes the cake for overpackaging in my book.

Same here and I thought WTF is this? Now I must wait for my Mac Pro to arrive tomorrow afternoon. According to UPS its less than 350 miles away and hopefully I'll have it this weekend.

macenforcer
Aug 31, 2006, 10:12 PM
Not necessarily, perhaps if it means my system is safe though.

The $1100 package at Crucial is 2x2GB sticks. At Newegg 2x2GB Kingstons with very very small heat sinks runs you about 750. considering the computer is supposed to run better on 4 identical sticks rather than 2 (quad channel memory) I'd rather pick up 4x1Gb sticks with the big heat sinks at crucial for about 850. But thats jus personal preference.

Come on, the only difference between the 2 rams is the heatsink. You could buy the 2 512mb dimms from crucial for $217 then buy the the kingston 2gb dimms and still be $200 cheaper, then you could take the heatsinks off the 512mb dimms and put them on the kingston 2gb dimms. Paying $400 for heatsinks is a fools errand.

Silentwave
Aug 31, 2006, 10:47 PM
Come on, the only difference between the 2 rams is the heatsink. You could buy the 2 512mb dimms from crucial for $217 then buy the the kingston 2gb dimms and still be $200 cheaper, then you could take the heatsinks off the 512mb dimms and put them on the kingston 2gb dimms. Paying $400 for heatsinks is a fools errand.

Actually, the way i'd do it i'd only be paying $100 more for the heatsinks... :D

sdshannon
Aug 31, 2006, 11:51 PM
Actually, the way i'd do it i'd only be paying $100 more for the heatsinks... :D

I totally agree with you, its a piece of mind knowing that you won't have to worry about over heating RAM or it clocking down.For someone that actually NEEDS the MacPro,its more important to spend time on there work rather than worrying about ram errors and overheating. If you can afford a MacPro then you should be able to afford the proper ram.

nylon
Sep 1, 2006, 12:43 AM
Oh? Looks different to me...

The very first systems shipped with Nanya RAM. However, after the first couple of days people started receiving systems with Micron RAM. The pre-installed memory in my Mac Pro are identical to the ones I received from Crucial.

macenforcer
Sep 1, 2006, 03:57 AM

Hence why they charge so much. :rolleyes:

sweathog
Sep 1, 2006, 01:42 PM
Well, I just recieved my ram from Crucial and although I ordered this:

Which at the time and according to previous posts was 309.00 per two gigs.

I recieved this: (part number on the bag matches and everthing)

http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.asp?imodule=CT12872AF667&WSMD=CT12872AF667&WSPN=CT12872AF667

Not only that, but I got two of them. I'm a bit confused because now it looks like I paid over 100 bucks too much per 2 gig order. :(

I'm going to call and I'll post how it goes.

bummed.

molocono
Sep 1, 2006, 06:56 PM
I just got a MP and I'm looking for some Crucial RAM (1GB). Should I get 2x512MB or wait for the 1GB stick? Thanks!

Also, are the Mac Pro Crucial units available at New Egg?

Fedge
Sep 1, 2006, 07:00 PM
I just got my 2x512 units from UPS. Will post pictures shortly. HUGE BOX!!

bob5820
Sep 1, 2006, 10:23 PM
Just ordered 2GB kit (2 x 1GB) from Crucial for $400.00. My Mac Pro wont be here for a couple of weeks so I probably jumped the gun on the mem. I just got excited when I saw the 1GB sticks and lost control.

damado
Sep 1, 2006, 10:29 PM
I just ordered these (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820134085) from newegg.

They seem to have all good reviews about usage on the mac pro and 2 gigs came out to 360. I plan to just swap the heatsinks and put the stock ram in there with the regular heatspreaders...although most say they use them as is.

The 2x2gig is more worthwhile as it comes out to $728 whereas the crucial is $1100.

Fedge
Sep 2, 2006, 01:08 PM
I just got my 2x512 units from UPS. Will post pictures shortly. HUGE BOX!!

So my 2x512MB from crucial arrived.

Ok, Pictures. As you can see, the box it shipped in is absolutely massive. It measures 18"x15". It had two heavy trays that could hold up to 40 DIMMS. Overkill? Methinks so.

If only the trays had been full :D

http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/6130/img12222np1.jpg
The box is gigantic. It makes the two 24" monitors in the background look small.

http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/9210/dsc0011jl4.jpg
Note the "EMPTY TRAY". Thanks, crucial, I hadn't noticed. I would have prefereed a "FULL TRAY".

http://img457.imageshack.us/img457/7746/dsc0008br4.jpg
Both DIMMS

http://img457.imageshack.us/img457/3504/dsc0001te6.jpg
The Label.

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/1274/dsc0007oi6.jpg
Fullsize heatsinks

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/9927/dsc0009ak6.jpg
View from the end.

mistafreeze
Sep 2, 2006, 01:40 PM
fedge where did you order yours from? link?

also damado when is your ram supposed to arrive? i was planning on getting that exact ram, but havnt heard anyone comment on them yet. let me know your results, i plan on buying them the day my mac ships, or if newegg has a crazy sale this weekend.

Fedge
Sep 2, 2006, 01:47 PM

Crucial, as indicated in my post (and pictures).

mistafreeze
Sep 2, 2006, 02:21 PM
obviously they are crucial, i ment the link to the store w/ item, as some people were stating buying ram that looked the same on the store, but were in fact shipping with smaller heatsinks.

Fedge
Sep 2, 2006, 03:03 PM
obviously they are crucial, i ment the link to the store w/ item, as some people were stating buying ram that looked the same on the store, but were in fact shipping with smaller heatsinks.

http://www.crucial.com/store/MPartspecs.Asp?mtbpoid=E2412FEFA5CA7304&WSMD=Mac+Pro&WSPN=CT579441

I ordered the 2x512 kit for the Mac Pro. Pretty straighforward . . .

damado
Sep 2, 2006, 03:12 PM

also damado when is your ram supposed to arrive? i was planning on getting that exact ram, but havnt heard anyone comment on them yet. let me know your results, i plan on buying them the day my mac ships, or if newegg has a crazy sale this weekend.

If you go to the newegg site, there are several reviews on the product page saying it works great on the mac pro. Actually I think all the reviews are about the mac pro.

ewiz has them for $169 when you follow the froogle link to it here (http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?p=D21GFB667K&c=fr&pid=d826a2141f06c28c9f438f3b90cd838593194ea53604d3ef4dea9cc771c8ad72)

I'll get mine sometime next week, but I'm still waiting on my mac pro to ship =/

Fedge
Sep 6, 2006, 04:30 PM
So I checked crucial's website today for RAM pricing and the prices have sky rocketed. I picked up my 2x512MB for $199 only a week-ish ago. Today, they're marked at $299. That's exactly the price of apple's RAM. Sheesh, when they said there'd be a spike in pricing, I didn't think it'd be this much. I guess I'll wait this out before I pick up any more RAM for my mac.

eodp3
Sep 7, 2006, 12:14 AM
Hi.. first time poster on MacRumors..
Like Fedge, I received my crucial ram in the giant crates too.
I ordered the 2x512 for $207.99 last week on friday.
My MP came with Crucial ram and not Nanya. The ram i bought from crucial is identical. even the model numbers on the stickers are identical to apple's stock ram.
As of this writing, central time 1210am Sept 7, the prices for the Crucial 2x512mb kit is $308.99.
Thats more than Apple's prices! looks like apple may have the best deal now... good thing I didn't hesitate.

Fedge, I'm betting that the trays we received, the last pair was then sold as retail (like to us) and the other pieces were installed into MP's that other people bought.

Puzz
Sep 7, 2006, 04:52 AM
I received a 512 pair from crucial today. (~200 pricing, thankfully.)

Exactly the same packaging as reported above, including the helpful "EMPTY TRAY" sticker on the empty tray.

I'd guess: they don't have proper singleton plastic packs for these big heat sinky things yet, and someone decided it would be too cheesy to send them out wrapped in newspaper, so they're reusing the bulk packs from the supplier until they get the right plastic bits to repackage them.

Maybe that's why the price went up... they have to underwrite a new form factor of little plastic packages :-)

bob5820
Sep 7, 2006, 04:53 AM
My 2GB kit (2 x 1GB) shipped and I should have it tommorrow. I notice they have raised the price $100.00 since I purchased. Its funny I was worried the price would drop after I bought. Worked out my way for once.

freezerburrn
Sep 7, 2006, 12:25 PM
I'm beating myself over the fact I didn't buy from crucial before my Mac Pro came. The price back then was just under $200 but now it's even more expensive than memory from the Apple store!

Videographer
Sep 7, 2006, 01:17 PM
Holy $#!%. :eek: What's up with that price increase? I literally just booted up from installing my 512MBx2 kit from Crucial. I paid $199 for it. That was a nice price break from Apple's. I'm glad I ordered when I did! I hope it comes down soon, though. I can live with 2GB for as long as it takes.

BTW, I got the same packaging. Most unusual. :confused:

peas
Sep 7, 2006, 01:42 PM
http://www.smalldog.com/specials/41151

4 x 1gig sticks
=699

=175 gig

the ram is from datamem.com

SavMan
Sep 7, 2006, 02:26 PM
People, Crucial are a bunch of crooks. They use a practice known as "dynamic pricing," where they will charge you more for an item based on them tracking your movements throughout their website. It's a dishonest practice, and anyone who pays Crucial is supporting not only dishonest people, but also the despicable practice. Read more here: Dynamic Pricing on Crucial (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=218162)

stapler
Sep 7, 2006, 02:31 PM
That's an interesting theory but that $300 price appears even when it's linked (ie, no cookies involved). I think it's that Apple is asking Crucial to price-fix.

damado
Sep 7, 2006, 03:04 PM
http://www.smalldog.com/specials/41151

4 x 1gig sticks
=699

=175 gig

the ram is from datamem.com

Awesome find =)

milozauckerman
Sep 7, 2006, 03:11 PM
datamem.com sticks show even less heat dissipation potential than the various Kingston/etc. RAM.

milozauckerman
Sep 7, 2006, 03:12 PM
http://www.datamem.com/_memory-information/_img/665.gif

Videographer
Sep 7, 2006, 03:42 PM
Well it seems that my Crucial Memory experience is not without blemish. I just ran MemtestOSX and got beaucoup errors. I just sent them an email and we'll see how good their tech support is. The test results look like this:

-----------------------------
Test sequence 1 of 1:
Stuck Address : ok
Random Value : ok
Compare XOR : ok
Compare SUB : ok
Compare MUL : ok
Compare DIV : ok
Compare OR : ok
Compare AND : ok
Sequential Increment: ok
Solid Bits : ok
Block Sequential : ok
Checkerboard : ok
Bit Spread : ok
Bit Flip : testing 41 of 256FAILURE: 0xffffffdf != 0x00000010 at offset 0x07c5f210.
FAILURE: 0x00000020 != 0xffffffef at offset 0x07c5f211.
FAILURE: 0xffffffdf != 0x00000010 at offset 0x07c5f218.
FAILURE: 0x00000020 != 0xffffffef at offset 0x07c5f219.
Walking Ones : testing 2 of 64FAILURE: 0xfffffffd != 0xfffffffe at offset 0x0684f2b0.
FAILURE: 0xfffffffd != 0xfffffffe at offset 0x0684f2b1.
FAILURE: 0x00000001 != 0xfffffffd at offset 0x05ec1658.
FAILURE: 0x00000001 != 0xfffffffd at offset 0x05ec1659.

*** Memory Test Failed *** Please check transcript for details.
logout
[Process completed]

Blah.... :(

peas
Sep 7, 2006, 06:01 PM
datamem.com sticks show even less heat dissipation potential than the various Kingston/etc. RAM.

looks might be a bit deceiving.
i just went down and bought 4 gigs.
with that i got a great price, and a 10 year warranty.
also, datamem has been providing awesome aftermarket ram for
apple machines for quite some time. google them and you'll read nothing but positive reviews. i too was skeptical as it seemed like a thin wafer but
these guys know what they're doing. plus a 10 year no questions asked guarantee. i dont think any other ram manufacturer could touch that with a 10foot pole.

milozauckerman
Sep 7, 2006, 07:39 PM
Only if that tiny heat-spreader is made of magical heat-dissipating pixie-dust metal.

MacCurry
Sep 7, 2006, 10:45 PM
Videographer,

Could you please tell me how I can obtain/download and run MemtestOSX? I'm new to the OS-X OS as I'm coming from the PC world. I've got 2x512MB FBDIMMS from Crucial coming in tomorrow.

devmage
Oct 3, 2006, 09:13 AM
So I waited too long while waiting for my Mac Pro and RAM prices went nuts.

I sold my Power Mac G5 now and REALLY want some RAM, 1GB isn't enough. So I'm gonna bite the bullet and buy some.

I normally buy Crucial RAM for my MACs but price wise are more expensive. Was looking to hear opionions of the RAM if anyone has any of these, or if anyone knows of a cheaper place for quality Mac Pro Memory.

http://www.crucial.com/store/partredirector.asp?model=Mac+Pro&partno=CT579442&ipartno=CT2KIT12872AP667
2 x 1GB $538.74 with tax and shipping

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/53FB1GD2GBK/
2 x 1GB $477.94 with tax and shipping

2x 1GB $458 not including tax and shipping

http://www.smalldog.com/product/41151
2 x 1GB $401.00 with tax and shipping (questionable heat sink)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16820134085
2 x 1GB $386.08 with tax and shipping (questionable heat sink)

Opionions from anyone using any of this RAM would be great. Any other options would also be great.

aiongiant
Oct 3, 2006, 09:48 AM
MaxUpgrades
http://www.maxupgrades.com/istore/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_id=157

Sell thiere 2x1gb ram for $400 with proper heatsink
althought i dunno if there any good
anyone have any experince with them?

technicolor
Oct 3, 2006, 10:32 AM
http://www.crucial.com/store/partredirector.asp?model=Mac+Pro&partno=CT579442&ipartno=CT2KIT12872AP667
2 x 1GB $538.74 with tax and shipping

That crucial ram is 489.99 on my screen....what a load of crooks they are.

I ended up getting a 2x1gig kit from microcenter for 450(if my memory serves me correctly). They have a special Apple center located inside of microcenter.

devmage
Oct 3, 2006, 03:56 PM
MaxUpgrades
http://www.maxupgrades.com/istore/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_id=157

They look like they have the right kind of heat sinks but still pricey. They don't say how much the shipping is, and they are in CA so I'd have to deal with tax. Good find though, at least the heatsinks look good.

That crucial ram is 489.99 on my screen....what a load of crooks they are.

I ended up getting a 2x1gig kit from microcenter for 450(if my memory serves me correctly). They have a special Apple center located inside of microcenter.

Crucial shows 499.99 when I look it up, and then my prices included + tax and shipping.

So far for me anyways the OWC http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other...g/53FB1GD2GBK/ memory looks like the cheapest since its the only one I can afford sales tax and have minimal shipping. The heatsinks are a different style than Apples but I assume are still effective. Anyone have any errors with this memory?

grovertdog
Oct 3, 2006, 09:58 PM
They look like they have the right kind of heat sinks but still pricey. They don't say how much the shipping is, and they are in CA so I'd have to deal with tax. Good find though, at least the heatsinks look good.

Crucial shows 499.99 when I look it up, and then my prices included + tax and shipping.

So far for me anyways the OWC http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other...g/53FB1GD2GBK/ memory looks like the cheapest since its the only one I can afford sales tax and have minimal shipping. The heatsinks are a different style than Apples but I assume are still effective. Anyone have any errors with this memory?

I've had flawless results with 2GB of the OWC. Ran the full monty mem test for a day- ZERO errors or corrections.

Heatsink design seems intelligent to me...

Robert

devmage
Oct 3, 2006, 10:22 PM
I've had flawless results with 2GB of the OWC. Ran the full monty mem test for a day- ZERO errors or corrections.

Heatsink design seems intelligent to me...

Robert

Thank you for the heads up. I think I'll go ahead and order them, best deal I could find after looking at RAM all day :)

Harbl
Oct 4, 2006, 02:17 AM
MaxUpgrades

They use the same Samsung FB-DIMMs that is also used on some of the memory Apple sells. The heatsinks are actually the beefiest compared to the rest including the Apple ones. Barefeats tested them and found it to run a bit cooler than the other memory. They said it also looks like it has the most surface area which probably helps in the cooling.

Based on that, I bought a 2GB kit. It works well and is currently the best memory deal for ones with the proper heatsink.