Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jknight8907

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
Hudson Valley NY
For about a year I've been 100%, no questions asked convinced that I would get a 12" Powerbook as my next computer. Then the Macbooks were released. Awesomeness! Fast fast processors, boot to windows, 13.3", what more could you want? Again, I was sure I'd get a Macbook.

Then the complaints started rolling in. Too hot, mooing (now fixed I know), etc. Mainly the 'too hot' part. I felt of the entire line at an Apple store and all were hotter than a 15" PB ever gets. The scary thing is, I'm considering a Windblows laptop now. :( Specifically, and Alienware 5550 or a similar model from Asus (or was it Acer? hmm...)

Yesterday I was big on Windows, last night I re-convinced myself of a Macbook, this morning, not so sure again. Can you guys help convince me one way or the other? I love the Mac OS, but I don't want to be able to cook my breakfast on it either. I would be willing to suffer Windows if it were that big of a problem. Help me!

cschreppel

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2006
Boston, MA
I've had my MacBook since August 12th and it's a week 31 MacBook. It was definitely a little warm on my lap...but no warmer than the Aluminum Powerbooks.

After the firmware update for the fans, it's been running a bit cooler. Overall, it's the best Apple machine I've owned. I have a 15" Titanium Powerbook, a FW800 PowerMac G4 Dual 1.42GHz tower, and the MacBook.

The MacBook is definitely the sleekest and snappiest. Although, my PowerMac is only used for recording/mixing purposes at my home studio.

Go for the MacBook. You won't be disappointed. If you must, hang out for another month or so until the new processors come out. Most of the bugs regarding heat and mooing should be fixed by then if not already.

Good luck!

F

freakonguitar

I won't' lie and say they run really cool, but they are excellent. Quick and so nice to use! The design is awesome! And my guess is that if you were to get a different notebook with core duo it would run just as hot due to the heat released by the chip. And you WANT core duo cause its excellent!! There are no better chips on the market currently. (core 2 duo is supposed to be worse for battery consumption and heat disapation anyways) Go for the macbook! you will love the performance! :D

and the design.....and most of all the OS!

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
I've had my MacBook for nearly two months, and I use it on my lap quite frequently. And this thing has NEVER gotten hotter than my iBook did, and it runs much faster, uses more power, etc. And this was before I installed the firmware update, which makes it run even cooler. Sure, the thing gets warm, but not hot enough to make me particularly warm. Go ahead and get a MacBook – they're nice machines.

the Western zoo

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2006
Aarhus C, Denmark
I've had my MacBook for approx 3 months now I think, and at first I was a little annoyed because of the heat but it was my first laptop and now I don't really think about it any more...
I don't think it gets any hotter than any of my friends laptops and I just love it! It's definitely the best computer I've ever owned!!

jknight8907

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
Hudson Valley NY
Thanks for the replies guys! Now I'm a lot more confident. Question though: How easy is it to do OCR scanning into a MacBook?

Now about the only thing dragging me away from a Macbook is the insane resolution of the 5550's screen....but that's not a big deal.

bonnybilly

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2006
Do it. The new update makes it run much cooler. You won't be disappointed

I had the 12" PB and my MB kicks its ass (3 months old, no issues). Just make sure you pick up 1GB of RAM (not from Apple!).

jknight8907

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
Hudson Valley NY
Also, I work in an all-Windows office. We use Exchange server, and all the Office products (including Access, though I don't use it in my job). Is that a problem for a Mac? I know I could boot to Windows, but that's not ideal.

fivetoadsloth

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
gEt a mac i have a white macbook and it isnt as hot as people say it is, ori might just be lucky. I use it on my lap and barely notice it

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
jknight8907 said:
Also, I work in an all-Windows office. We use Exchange server, and all the Office products (including Access, though I don't use it in my job). Is that a problem for a Mac? I know I could boot to Windows, but that's not ideal.

Access does not come in a Mac version, but Word, Excel, and PowerPoint do. There is no Outlook for Mac, but there is Microsoft Entourage (part of Office:Mac) which is basically the Mac version of Outlook. Entourage supports Exchange servers.

If you need any Windows software, Parallels or BootCamp are the way to go. Parallels is more convenient, as you don't have to boot out of OS X.

drake

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2005
If I had it to do all over again, I'd probably get a thinkpad. I never had the moo, whine (a bit of a buzz, yes), or excessive heat, but bad backlighting and some fit and finish issues (the led or screen doesn't fit that well to the base). Thinkpads are known for high quality.

jknight8907

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
Hudson Valley NY
Looks like I'll probably end up getting a Windows because of work requirements. Can someone suggest a good widescreen (not 17") notebook, sub 6lbs or so, real graphics card. Also, under $1600.

thanks!

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
jknight8907 said:
Looks like I'll probably end up getting a Windows because of work requirements. Can someone suggest a good widescreen (not 17") notebook, sub 6lbs or so, real graphics card. Also, under $1600.

thanks!

You realize that you can just install Windows on the MacBook and have both, right?

jknight8907

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
Hudson Valley NY
GFLPraxis said:
You realize that you can just install Windows on the MacBook and have both, right?

Right, however, Bootcamp is a Beta, and is not designed to run Windows full-time, and I would be booting to Windows more often than not.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
have you ever considered to write a list what you will do with the notebook, then a list what spec's you will need. and then dicide what you will buy. so far it seems your decision is solely based and what you think you might want or not want. but nothing solid.

maybe it turns out that most of the time you use it as desktop replacement so the heat isn't an issue. or maybe you need some critical programm that only exists on mac (like ilife, iphoto). at least it would help in the decision and stops you from buying the wrong computer.

vv-tim

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2006
jknight8907 said:
Right, however, Bootcamp is a Beta, and is not designed to run Windows full-time, and I would be booting to Windows more often than not.

That's not true at all... It's the drivers that are beta. If they hadn't screwed up my bluetooth mouse I'd consider running Windows full time.

batman123

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2006
Some Place Only You Know...
jknight8907 said:

thanks!

u want a vaio sz, if i wasnt also set on switching to a new macbook from a still sexy vaio s series, i would get one of those :D

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
batman123 said:
u want a vaio sz, if i wasnt also set on switching to a new macbook from a still sexy vaio s series, i would get one of those :D

Sony Vaio's are sweet but I've heard of nothing but problems with them

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
My Macbook runs way cooler than a Powerbook G4, though I am getting rid of it through ebay in prep for a reved up MBP :)

MBs are pretty good bets, the heat problems are way exaggerated.

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
Sony laptops have nice style but have terrible warranty and support services. If you want an awesome Windows machine go for a X or T series Thinkpad. I used to swear by these machines and their support services are the best in the business.

Torbocto

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2006
Don't buy a MACBOOK

I bought two macbook recently and both of them have been randomly shutting down. I am very disappointed. Apple won't replace or reimbourse me. I understand from another thread that I am not the only one dealing with this problem.
How many are we ?
If you are reading and you have this problem with your macbook, can you please send me an email at macbookproblem@mac.com with the serial number of your computer, model and date of purchase.
I plan on publishing weekly stats about number of computer affected and contact apple with the information.

any suggestions welcome.

This is the first stats report:

NUMBER OF MACBOOK with SHUTDOWN PROBLEM : 4

serial numbers / model / purchase date
4H62128KVMN / black, 2 GHz, 1GB ram / 26-5-2006 in Canada
4H6228STU9C / white, 2 GHz, 2GB ram / 13-06-2006 in Belgium
4H6242DPU9D / white, 1.83 GHz / 14-06-2006 in France
4H631KXTU9B / 1.83Ghz / 19-8-2006

I also have a powerbook 12'. Never had any problem with it. and still using it while my new macbook is being examined and repaired at the Apple Store for the past two weeks...
DONT BUY A MACBOOK.

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
Torbocto said:
I bought two macbook recently and both of them have been randomly shutting down. I am very disappointed. Apple won't replace or reimbourse me. I understand from another thread that I am not the only one dealing with this problem.
How many are we ?
If you are reading and you have this problem with your macbook, can you please send me an email at macbookproblem@mac.com with the serial number of your computer, model and date of purchase.
I plan on publishing weekly stats about number of computer affected and contact apple with the information.

any suggestions welcome.

This is the first stats report:

NUMBER OF MACBOOK with SHUTDOWN PROBLEM : 4

serial numbers / model / purchase date
4H62128KVMN / black, 2 GHz, 1GB ram / 26-5-2006 in Canada
4H6228STU9C / white, 2 GHz, 2GB ram / 13-06-2006 in Belgium
4H6242DPU9D / white, 1.83 GHz / 14-06-2006 in France
4H631KXTU9B / 1.83Ghz / 19-8-2006

I also have a powerbook 12'. Never had any problem with it. and still using it while my new macbook is being examined and repaired at the Apple Store for the past two weeks...
DONT BUY A MACBOOK.

This is why I've never liked laptops, especially Apple ones, I have a PowerBook G4 and honestly I'm hardly impressed, its slow, it crashes a lot, it overheats like crazy, the dock keeps freezing, I like the new MacBook Pro enough to consider switching my current PowerBook for one but still the only Apple computer I REALLY like is the Mac Pro, in fact, I've only ever liked high end macs, I liked the original iMac and the iMac Flat Panel but the current iMac is meh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.