PDA

View Full Version : New iBooks?

smileynev
Mar 24, 2003, 09:08 AM
I'm patiently waiting for a new iBook announcement. I'm selling my Blue Dalmatian to get one (:(), but since I don't need it right away, I'm trying to wait until the new ones are available.

Any ideas on when this will be? Its driving me crazy. Each day I'm tempted to go down to Compusa and by the existing model.

yzedf
Mar 24, 2003, 01:17 PM
I am waiting too. Unless it is something extraordinary, I plan on buying the 12" 800MHz combo when the new ones are released. This is to save money, of course ;)

mrjamin
Mar 24, 2003, 01:38 PM
surely the only kind of upgrades you can hope for can be found in the rather beautiful 12" powerbooks?

i thought the processor upgrades on the newer iBooks were going to be fairly minimal anyway. I bought my 800mhz combo 12" iBook in december and they've hardly dropped in price at all since! I think you can get the same one for about 20 less or something!

Kwyjibo
Mar 24, 2003, 01:39 PM
may, 6 2003 is 6 months from their last release so oyu may wait a while. Also june will be about six motnhs for the 12 in powerbook. I don't expect iBook updates until you see powerbook updates. Maybe we will see big changes at wwdc? who knows

RBMaraman
Mar 24, 2003, 03:25 PM
I wouldn't expect an iBook update until the 12" PowerBooks are updated. And to go along with that, I don't expect to see a 15" AluBook (If they even have one) until the 17" PowerBook is updated.

The iBook is definitely going to stay with the G3, and you won't see a superdrive because Apple says that the G3 can't support it. Most likely the iBook's will get a new case, airport extreme, *maybe* one firewire 800 port, internal bluetooth, and longer battery life.

NavyIntel007
Mar 24, 2003, 03:35 PM
This might piss off new 17-inch powerbook owners but it's possible that come may 6 or so the whole laptop lineup gets an upgrade.

alset
Mar 24, 2003, 03:46 PM
I'd say wait. You've waited this long, and you'll probably have your next machine for just as long. Processor upgrades may not be much, but Airport Extreme will figure into the next rev.

Dan

CrackedButter
Mar 24, 2003, 03:48 PM
I just bought an iBook 12" Combo less than a week ago (quick mention to say it is brilliant) i already have 2 people who would buy it off me if and when i decide to purchase the next best thing in or around November/December this year.

But thats me...if i were you and i already have done, i would buy an iBook now.
If you are deciding on an iBook then you might already be considering computational power is not a huge need, your needs might be simple, instead it is its low weight and long battery life that appeals to you.

If you want power get the mac laptop with its name in it!

mrjamin
Mar 24, 2003, 06:38 PM
at the end of the day, it's never the right time to buy a computer (x86 OR mac!), so why wait? just buy now!

jefhatfield
Mar 24, 2003, 08:55 PM
maybe a 12 inch powerbook speed bump will correspond with a new speed bumped ibook line on the same day

the 12 inch powerbook could be 1 ghz where the ibooks could be 800 mhz and 900 mhz with the lowest video card being 32 mb and the 14 inch ibook having a 64 mb video card

the tibook could be only at 1 ghz

eventually, the ibook line will most likely hit 1 ghz before the whole line gets kicked up to a g4 processor

macphoria
Mar 24, 2003, 09:28 PM
I think May or June would see iBook upgrade. And as jefhatfield mentioned, I don't expect anything more than G3 900Mhz, unless PowerBooks goes beyone 1Ghz or at least 12" PowerBook goes to G4 1Ghz.

SilvorX
Mar 24, 2003, 09:34 PM
i dont want to see my lil ibook get turned into a 'discontinued' item already *sniff*, but things happen, the 800mhz ibook is an awesome mac, the only things i dont really like bout the the 12" ibook is that:
-speakers are quiet
-the combo drive is only 16x...but thats fine
-uses sdram and only up to 640 megs but its a small machine
-only 1 firewire port ;)

jefhatfield
Mar 24, 2003, 09:36 PM
in a perfect world, by this summer, we would have 1 ghz ibooks in two sizes and 1+ ghz powerbooks in three sizes

i just saw a dell ad for a 2 ghz pentium 2 laptop from dell for $999...i know the mac os is better and the hardware is problem free compared to pc parts/interaction with windows os...but apple inc needs to leave the mhz realm pretty soon or else lose sales

i hope by christmas, the pro line desktops are 970s and the pro laptops, and all consumer gear is all g4s...including the budget crt imac...that would buy the macs some time for catching the important first time users and pc switchers

jefhatfield
Mar 24, 2003, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by SilvorX
i dont want to see my lil ibook get turned into a 'discontinued' item already *sniff*, but things happen, the 800mhz ibook is an awesome mac, the only things i dont really like bout the the 12" ibook is that:
-speakers are quiet
-the combo drive is only 16x...but thats fine
-uses sdram and only up to 640 megs but its a small machine
-only 1 firewire port ;)

i can picture the new ibook with a slightly thinner case, half a pound lighter, 2 usb ports like the current ibook, the firewire, and for compatibility sake, a usb 2.0 port, too

and if the ibook stays at g3 for the rest of the year, at least give the computer 1 gb of ram for the upper limit as to keep the g3fx chip current with the times for a consumer laptop

howard
Mar 24, 2003, 10:07 PM
i bought my 700mhz about this time in the ibook cycle, i mean a few months before the new ones were released, i have no regrets really...i'm mean i need one and i got one, and i'm happy with it.

you said you could wait, so in that case i would wait. that is really the main question, is if you can wait or not...if you can't...even if the updates are expected in a few weeks just buy you computer. but like i said, if you have no reason to upgrade anytime soon then theres no reason to.

crazzyeddie
Mar 24, 2003, 10:32 PM
I just bought the 15" 1ghz TiBook even though people keep saying the new ones are going to come out and I doubt ill regret it. The new models will probably just have DDR RAM, airport extreme and bluetooth built in.

As we saw with the PowerMacs, the DDR RAM actually slowed them down! I dont need airport extreme (thats what gigabit ethernet is for) and bluetooth interferes with airport anyway, plus i have no need for it. You have to ask yourself what features in the new computers do you actually need and how badly do you need (or want) a new computer right now?

jefhatfield
Mar 25, 2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by crazzyeddie
I just bought the 15" 1ghz TiBook even though people keep saying the new ones are going to come out and I doubt ill regret it. The new models will probably just have DDR RAM, airport extreme and bluetooth built in.

As we saw with the PowerMacs, the DDR RAM actually slowed them down! I dont need airport extreme (thats what gigabit ethernet is for) and bluetooth interferes with airport anyway, plus i have no need for it. You have to ask yourself what features in the new computers do you actually need and how badly do you need (or want) a new computer right now?

I don't think at this point the bluetooth or ddr ram will make a difference

airport extreme could be a good thing if you decide to use it and want the bandwidth

i still think, paint chipping problems aside, that the better casing for a laptop is titanium and i wish apple inc would find some sort of solution to the issue...i think the aluminum is a money saver and at least it is better than using plastic for the outer casing like most similarly priced pc laptops are