PDA

View Full Version : How many servers do you think....

daneoni
Aug 28, 2006, 06:53 PM
are required to power the whole Apple empire. They have a host of international sites which are quite extensive, music and video download stores, they'll also maintain financial records as well as dedicated servers to manage R&D projects. Im guessing quite alot. They must have this bunker loaded with Xserves right?, must store around 500 terabytes of data at least?

Just a random topic i thought i'd throw out there

Dane D.
Aug 28, 2006, 07:28 PM
Interesting thought, daneoni. Add to that, what system or systems are they running? What about backup and archiving? The number of staff to maintain such a setup? The power consumption? The list could get long real fast when you stop and think about it.

dmw007
Aug 28, 2006, 07:30 PM
Not sure how many, but I would assume that the number would be quite massive. :)

bigandy
Aug 29, 2006, 10:05 AM
They did buy that huge data centre in February...

http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/02/20060227183355.shtml

And Tier IV... *drools*

There was a lot of talk of that being used for iTMS Movies/Music, but I think it may have been just so they could put everything in one place :rolleyes:

LastBreath
Aug 30, 2006, 01:00 PM
but I think it may have been just so they could put everything in one place :rolleyes:

I wouldn't think they would put everything in one place in the interest of redundancy.

Due to the industry I'm involved with I've been in a very high level data center and in the co-managed halls were Microsoft equipment.

I wish i could go into more detail about what i seen and the measures they have in place, its was simply amazing!

dizastor
Aug 30, 2006, 03:58 PM
They run the entire empire off of a g4 Mac Mini running 10.4 server.

Patch^
Aug 30, 2006, 05:26 PM
They run the entire empire off of a g4 Mac Mini running 10.4 server.

Tis true, I have seen it! :D ;) :cool: