PDA

View Full Version : New iPod on the way

Mr Jobs
Mar 24, 2003, 03:36 PM
i was at an apple retailer today (one the biggest in the UK) and I’ve been told by one of the guys there they are totally out of the current ipod stock and are waiting for apple to announce the new firewire 800 iPods before they start selling it.

wait for it very soon now.

alset
Mar 24, 2003, 03:47 PM
Let's hope so. Jeez, but that means I have to go get a new Mac so I can use FW 800 (I'm just looking for any excuse, huh?). :)

Dan

TEG
Mar 24, 2003, 03:57 PM
DOUBTFUL.

I doubt Apple will waste the money on FW800 iPods, due to the simple facts that the HDs can't handle the data rate, and Only 1 model of PowerBook, and the PowerMacs have FW800. PCs probabily won't have them for a year, so its a waste of money right know, unless a new media is involved.

My $246.01 (Just $150 till I get my new iPod)

TEG

bennetsaysargh
Mar 24, 2003, 04:10 PM
i hope that they dont put FW800 in the new iPods b/c it's not needed, and im on an origional iMac only with FW400, and the HD will not have a fast enough rate to utilize it.
most important up there is not needed. 10 minutes to put 5GB on anything is still fast enough.

BillyShears
Mar 24, 2003, 04:17 PM
The relevant thing here is the facts... not the speculation.

Fact: The Apple store in the UK is out of iPods

Speculation: The worker there assumes there will be a FW800 model.

We know there will be SOME update... soon.... ?

bennetsaysargh
Mar 24, 2003, 04:24 PM
i will see what the good people at the palisades mall apple store say when i ask them on saturday.

PS-No one is saying that new iPods are comoing out tuesday so they might. DON"T SAY ANYTHING TO JYNX IT!

RandomDeadHead
Mar 24, 2003, 04:33 PM
Damn people, have you not already read the other threads?

Their coming tuesday, Mabe not this tuesday, Mabe not the next tuesday. But some tuesday in the future.

It is ignorant to think that these new iPods will have firewire 800 sense the only computers that have those ports are 2 of Apples professional grade computers. Are their ANY pc's that have firewire 800 ports? NO.

So do you honestly think that the new incarnation of iPods will be limited to 2% of mac users who have a new power Mac or Power Book? And no PC support? Thats like selling a product to 2% of the 5% of people that use macs.

Introducing the new iPod, if you havent spent at least $2000.00 in the last 3 months on a brand new Mac, TOUGH YOU CANT USE THEM.

Come on people, think and read before you start a new thread.:rolleyes:

NavyIntel007
Mar 24, 2003, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Mr Jobs
i was at an apple retailer today (one the biggest in the UK) and I?ve been told by one of the guys there they are totally out of the current ipod stock and are waiting for apple to announce the new firewire 800 iPods before they start selling it.

Nice try, but the iMacs, eMacs and iBooks will not have FW800 yet as the original iMacs and iBooks did not have FW upon it's inception.

timbloom
Mar 24, 2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by RandomDeadHead

So do you honestly think that the new incarnation of iPods will be limited to 2% of mac users who have a new power Mac or Power Book? And no PC support? Thats like selling a product to 2% of the 5% of people that use macs.

Firewire 800 and 400 are cross compatible, if they just happen to have firewire 800, it will just come with an adapter or seperate firewire cable to use on the older machines. Given, it is a useless addon for the ipod at the wrong time.

NavyIntel007
Mar 24, 2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by RandomDeadHead

Introducing the new iPod, if you havent spent at least $2000.00 in the last 3 months on a brand new Mac, TOUGH YOU CANT USE THEM.

Actually Apple is selling 9 pin to 6 pin firewire cables. So you can use the FW800 devices with regular FW.

bennetsaysargh
Mar 24, 2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by NavyIntel007
Nice try, but the iMacs, eMacs and iBooks will not have FW800 yet as the original iMacs and iBooks did not have FW upon it's inception.
some of the origional iMacs have FW, and some of the origional iBooks do too

timbloom
Mar 24, 2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by bennetsaysargh
some of the origional iMacs have FW, and some of the origional iBooks do too
this happened a while (more than a year) after each was introduced with the DV versions.

Kwyjibo
Mar 24, 2003, 04:50 PM
qwll said random, unless apple ships them with that 9pin to 6pin cord which woudl be kinda weird imho.

rainman::|:|
Mar 24, 2003, 05:01 PM
i'm gonna go columbine if i hear 'fw800 ipod' again on this site... i swear... IT'S NOT GONNA HAPPEN, YOU GUYS. i'm sick and tired of explaining it, and someone else did earlier...

:(

pnw

bennetsaysargh
Mar 24, 2003, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by paulwhannel
i'm gonna go columbine if i hear 'fw800 ipod' again on this site... i swear... IT'S NOT GONNA HAPPEN, YOU GUYS. i'm sick and tired of explaining it, and someone else did earlier...

:(

pnw

please don't say that thing about columbine.

King Cobra
Mar 24, 2003, 05:09 PM
>Actually Apple is selling 9 pin to 6 pin firewire cables. So you can use the FW800 devices with regular FW. (NavyIntel007)

Are people going to buy the extra add-ons? Will purchasing the additional add-ons increase Firewire speed transfer from 400Mbps to 800Mbps or just add accessibility to the new Firewire? If this is the case, then, as paul mentioned, it will not happen.

cubist
Mar 24, 2003, 05:11 PM
OK how about USB? It should work USB 1.1/2.0 and the firewire port can do 400/800. How about that? I don't care if USB 1.1 is slow, what's important is that everybody has it already.

bennetsaysargh
Mar 24, 2003, 05:14 PM
6pin to 9pin probably only has the speed of 6pin because it's just logical.
i'll ask someone @ the palisades apple store when i go saturday :)

vanillamike
Who cares about FW 800, the point is the UK store claims they are coming soon that is all that matters!

Mike

GeneR
Originally posted by timbloom
Firewire 800 and 400 are cross compatible, if they just happen to have firewire 800, it will just come with an adapter or seperate firewire cable to use on the older machines. Given, it is a useless addon for the ipod at the wrong time.

I agree but isn't there still the issue of how fast the ipod HD is? Will it be fast enough to accomodate the 800? I dunno. I have absolutely no knowledge about how fast an HD would have to be in order to transfer seamlessly with 800.

Does anybody else know what speed an iPod HD would have to be in order to work well with the new Firewire 800? Thanks!

GeneR
Mar 24, 2003, 05:16 PM
On second thought, why not ditch the entire wire issue by keeping the firewire 400 and giving it a wireless capability?

Wouldn't that be cool?

djbombjack
Mar 24, 2003, 05:21 PM
Now an iPod with Bluetooth or Airport... lovely!

timbloom
Mar 24, 2003, 05:28 PM
I think apple will use firewire 800 on them only after their whole line has shifted to fw800, it's only logical to do so, it won't stay at 400 more than a year after the whole line has included 800.

bennetsaysargh
Mar 24, 2003, 05:29 PM
that's a good idea that i haven't even thought of yet. that's a really good idea. especially with 802.11g. and even 802.11b would be good.

Mr Jobs
Mar 24, 2003, 06:20 PM
why do people keep saying that fw800 wont happen because almost all apple computer have fw400. come on people go do some research, it doesnt matter their both campatiable with each other. it just like usb 1 and usb 2.

all apple is going to do is provide a 9pin to a 6pin cable, no ones asking any to buy any converter to use it with their existing mac.

after this ipod upgrade the next in line with be imacs and powermacs to come which will have fw800, this way apple with will make their ipod future proof. besides i doubt it costs any more for them to put a fw800 in the ipod over the fw400.

p.s i dont think apple will hold back on fw800 on the imacs like last time with thr fw400, you people really do have to think a little more... come on last time apple didn't have USB2 breathing down their neck, and remember USB2 can now be found even on the lost cost PC machines.

Kwyjibo
Mar 24, 2003, 06:35 PM
I think another main point is that the chipsets for fw800 are much more expensive than those for fw400. I woudl rather see a cheaper iPod than a fw800 pod and I think many people would agree. I don't see why your so vehemnt about rallying behind what some guy specualtes at an appel reseller. I mean the whole logic of "no stock" doesn't necessarily mean update. There hasn't been a 5 gig in a while and even tho many resellers don't have 17 in powerbooks in regualr stock it doesn't mean they won't in the future. All i'm saying it don't get hung up on one feature. I think you shoudl realize at this point in time fw800 is simpyl not worth the additional costs. I still hear stories of ppl who didnt' udnerstand u need firewire for the ipdo so small sets.

bennetsaysargh
Mar 24, 2003, 06:50 PM
toshiba stopped making the 5gb hard drives that apple used for the 5gb iPods. the 5gb is either dead, or they will sell out what is sitting in some wharehouse somewhere at $199 or something.

vniow
Mar 24, 2003, 06:55 PM
........or some other company is making 1.8" 5GB hard drives.

bennetsaysargh
Mar 24, 2003, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by vniow
........or some other company is making 1.8" 5GB hard drives.
that could be true, but apple probably would stick with toshiba.

Le Big Mac
Mar 24, 2003, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by vanillamike
Who cares about FW 800, the point is the UK store claims they are coming soon that is all that matters!

Mike

Yeah, but folks here have been claiming that for weeks, adn still no new iPods. Of course they're coming. We know that. The only question is when, and what the revisions will involve.

Perceptes
Mar 24, 2003, 08:32 PM
I think, if there are any updates to the iPod coming, it will not involve a change of FireWire speed. I think the likely new features will be a larger hard drive and built in Bluetooth. The iPod is the only device that iSync cannot connect to wirelessly. This makes me think that Apple is likely to get the iPod up to speed with the wireless revolution.

BTW, this is my first post on Mac Rumors. Hello everyone.

bennetsaysargh
Mar 24, 2003, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Perceptes
I think, if there are any updates to the iPod coming, it will not involve a change of FireWire speed. I think the likely new features will be a larger hard drive and built in Bluetooth. The iPod is the only device that iSync cannot connect to wirelessly. This makes me think that Apple is likely to get the iPod up to speed with the wireless revolution.

BTW, this is my first post on Mac Rumors. Hello everyone.
First, welcome to MacRumors.
Second, I have an idea for internet radio on the iPod. If Apple were to put an Airport, or Airport Extreme card in the iPod, it could sync wirelessly, and pick up internet connections for internet radio.
I think it's a good idea.
I hope they do that eventually.

melchior
Mar 24, 2003, 09:00 PM
toshiba stopped making the 5gb hard drives that apple used for the 5gb iPods. the 5gb is either dead, or they will sell out what is sitting in some wharehouse somewhere at $199 or something.

what makes you say this? Toshiba just released a new device called the HOPBIT. using, wait for it, a 1.8in 5GB HD.

Whether or not Apple will continues with a 5GB is another question, but Toshiba will continue.

bennetsaysargh
Mar 24, 2003, 09:06 PM
sorry about that, but i heard somewhere, i can't remember where, but it said that toshiba wasn't making th 5gb anymore.
sorry for the mistake.

Doctor Q
Mar 24, 2003, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Perceptes
BTW, this is my first post on Mac Rumors. Hello everyone. Welcome to MacRumors, Perceptes. I went to your web site from your profile page - nice Mac OS X look and feel!

I listen to my same favorite songs over and over (and over and over). I'm more likely to listen to the same 10 songs 100 times each than to listen to 1000 songs once each. People like me don't need larger iPod disks, at least for music.

If you get tired of storing music in your iPod, you can always store your genes (http://www.apple.com/pro/science/gilbert/) instead. Then, whenever you wonder why humans behave the way we do, you can look it up no matter where you are! According to my rough calculation, you have room for the genomes of about 26 species in a 20GB iPod. If you need to keep track of more species than that, you'll have to wait for the 40GB iPod.

Sol
Mar 24, 2003, 10:51 PM
I agree that we do not actually need bigger capacity iPods but the nature of competition in the computer industry is such that bigger will always be better for most people (look at processors for example). I think that once we start getting iPods bigger than 30GB, most people's MP3 libraries will have been exceeded; personally I only have approximately 13.5 GB of MP3s in my computer. Unless we see video capabilities in the next iPod I think the increase in capacity will serve as general data storage.

As for FireWire 800, if it is backwards compatible I would rather see it in iPods sooner than later. I imagine that the benefit this new connection would provide is not read/write speed (as the tiny hard drive of the iPod is not that fast in the first place) but recharge speed. You see FW 800 can provide more power than FW 400 and so we could see new types of devices within a year should it become a common standard today. I am sure that bus-powered external hard drives will be a lot more common with FW 800 than they are now with the slower standard.

MeanE
Mar 25, 2003, 08:43 AM
Also a newbie here....found the site when I went searching for when the new iPods are supposed to be out.

Anyways...there is no real reason for Apple to include FW800 unless it is an "easy" upgrade (ie..the FW800 chip is about the same price as a FW400 chip). Otherwise that slow hard drive in the iPod is probably not maxing out the FW400 connection anyway.

But I digress...damn Apple release the new iPod's so I can buy one! Come on 40 gig ;)

wdodd
Mar 25, 2003, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Kwyjibo
I think another main point is that the chipsets for fw800 are much more expensive than those for fw400.
Exactly! Why make the iPod more expensive if it doesn't benefit from FW800. Everyone keeps talking about the backwards compatability as a reason to move forward to FW800 - I see it as the perfect reason to stick with FW400 on the iPod since it will still be compatible with newer machines with FW800.

melchior
Mar 25, 2003, 09:15 AM
although i completely agree that fw800 has no place in an ipod, whatsoever! (and i think you are mistaken to believe fw800 will yield better charging or whatever it is you envision. the ipod is not lacking for current, it already has a rapid charge function.)

anyway, a point did occur to me, that no one has mentioned, and though it is against my wishes, it's worth puting out there.....

fw800 is an impressive technology. to say an ipod has fw800 would get a lot of stupid people thinking it's really rally fast. it could be a marketing point.... just an idea

Computer_Phreak
Mar 25, 2003, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by GeneR
I agree but isn't there still the issue of how fast the ipod HD is? Will it be fast enough to accomodate the 800? I dunno. I have absolutely no knowledge about how fast an HD would have to be in order to transfer seamlessly with 800.

Does anybody else know what speed an iPod HD would have to be in order to work well with the new Firewire 800? Thanks!

Well, thats the point...

Apple might use FW800 because most people don't know that it really won't make Mac/PC to iPod transfer faster.

The fastest SCSI hard drives (used in servers) cannot even acheive sustained speed over 40 MB / per second, or (40 MB * 8 [1 byte = 8 bits]) 320 Mbps (megabits).

Firewire 400 is 400 Megabits, so even with a SCSI drive, FW800 would not provide any improvement.

Raid
Mar 25, 2003, 10:22 AM
I for one don't particularly care to speculate on what the new iPod (if it does exist) will offer. I've been waiting for 3 months now, and quite frankly all the fun has been sucked out of my iPod day-dreams. I won't be buying an iPod until the new models come out; and even then if I find the features of the newer model don't suit my liking I will then buy an older one. At it's worst the speculation here is completely baseless, and at best is highly questionable. Until I see a new iPod announced by Apple , I can't take any rumors here seriously. …even though I've become increasingly jaded in my expectations, I still do find myself checking out the Apple site every Tuesday…

Here's to hoping we don't need anymore of these ridiculous threads anymore!
:cool:

synthetickittie
Mar 25, 2003, 10:26 AM
it took over a week to ship from when i ordered it but I finally shipped, my 10gb ipod. The thing took over a week and has shipped from taiwan. Now is still not a sign that they are definitly running outa ipods. Or have they allways shipped all the way from taiwan.. I live in the US by the way.

yzedf
Mar 25, 2003, 10:46 AM
Think about it.

FW = 400

USB 2.0 = 480 max

802.11b = 11

802.11g = 54

Combo of USB 1.1/2.0 and Firewire would be great. Especially for the PC version of the iPod. USB 2.0 is far more prevalent than Firewire is.

rainman::|:|
Mar 25, 2003, 10:48 AM
morons, your bus is leaving.

let's look at a couple of facts to put your minds at ease:

* The HD is too slow to even utilize FW400 (except at theoretical burst speeds yadda yadda)...

* The chipsets are indeed too expensive to use pointlessly (lack of mass production);

* There would be no charging speed benefit. It's capped by the speed that the battery will take a charge. That's why they don't stick 40,000-watt cords into your cell phone at night to make it charge in .0002 seconds... it can't happen. rechargable batteries like this need a very low input to charge right (i believe heat is the underlying issue here) which is the reason for power adaptors.

* The iPod update has been rumored for about three months now. I've been telling you people to go buy one anyway. None of you listened. Had you, you'd have been listening to an iPod this whole time :)

* FW800 being 'cooler' is not a reason for Apple to do it.

* Bluetooth is too slow and Airport too power-consuming to be used, as well as size issues I believe. And antenna, after all it *is* sitting inside of a metal box...

*USB2.0 is a redundant technology that should not be supported for any reason. the iPod is the fastest and best (correct me if i'm wrong) selling MP3 player ever, so I think they've done well on FW.

* I have a friend that moved away from Columbine a couple of months before it happened. He could have been killed if he had stayed. And he uses that phrase a LOT more frequently than I do (that being once). Unless you lost a loved one there, relax! If you empower the actions that they took, you're encouraging it's repetition.

i'm not really this big of a bitch most of the time, as some of you know, but this iPod update thing is *really* burning my ass. so apologies.

pnw

Kwyjibo
Mar 25, 2003, 11:13 AM
morons, your bus is leaving. * I have a friend that moved away from Columbine a couple of months before it happened. He could have been killed if he had stayed. And he uses that phrase a LOT more frequently than I do (that being once).

very well said paul, i completely agree and I"m glad to see you telling people to quit qhinign and buy one if you want one. ( i bought my 20 gigger in october). some of the feature ppl want (airport, bluetooth, fw800 (at this time)) seem alot like those fins they had on cars in the 50's. People think they will make a big difference and alter the product for the msot part tho they were junk.

vanillamike
Mar 25, 2003, 11:32 AM
Just give me a price drop on the current 20GB and I would buy it. Save the revisions (higher capacity, colour screen whatever) for when the music service comes out.

Mike

Snorlax
Mar 25, 2003, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Mr Jobs
i was at an apple retailer today (one the biggest in the UK) and I’ve been told by one of the guys there they are totally out of the current ipod stock and are waiting for apple to announce the new firewire 800 iPods before they start selling it.

So he did actually state that he knew that fw800 ipod's are coming? This is interesting! Not fw800 but new ipods!

melchior
Mar 25, 2003, 08:19 PM
it's not about any specific feature (though i do have requests) it's about the update cycle, getting the most value for money and not kicking yourself when the update is released. even if the update is a month a way, or even 3 months.

i would never buy from apple when a product is after more than a quarter of it's update cycle.

patience makes it worth it.

cubist
Mar 26, 2003, 08:59 AM
Hey guys, the Apple Store's refurbished list has been wiped out except for eMacs. There were iPods on there a couple of days ago. Does this mean anything?

RLB
Mar 26, 2003, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by cubist
Hey guys, the Apple Store's refurbished list has been wiped out except for eMacs. There were iPods on there a couple of days ago. Does this mean anything?

That is a good sign b/c apple can't sell a new 10 gb ipod for 299 $ while they are selling an old refurbished one for 329 $. They are paving the way for new ones.

yzedf
Mar 26, 2003, 10:38 AM

let's look at a couple of facts to put your minds at ease:

* The HD is too slow to even utilize FW400 (except at theoretical burst speeds yadda yadda)... TRUTH

* The chipsets are indeed too expensive to use pointlessly (lack of mass production); TRUTH

* There would be no charging speed benefit. It's capped by the speed that the battery will take a charge. That's why they don't stick 40,000-watt cords into your cell phone at night to make it charge in .0002 seconds... it can't happen. rechargable batteries like this need a very low input to charge right (i believe heat is the underlying issue here) which is the reason for power adaptors. TRUTH

* The iPod update has been rumored for about three months now. I've been telling you people to go buy one anyway. None of you listened. Had you, you'd have been listening to an iPod this whole time :) INDEED

* FW800 being 'cooler' is not a reason for Apple to do it. TRUTH

* Bluetooth is too slow and Airport too power-consuming to be used, as well as size issues I believe. And antenna, after all it *is* sitting inside of a metal box... TRUTH

*USB2.0 is a redundant technology that should not be supported for any reason. the iPod is the fastest and best (correct me if i'm wrong) selling MP3 player ever, so I think they've done well on FW. YOU ARE MISSING THE POINT. REDUNDANCY != BAD. USB 2.0 IS ANOTHER BOAT APPLE HAS MISSED (THINK SCANNERS....)

* I have a friend that moved away from Columbine a couple of months before it happened. He could have been killed if he had stayed. And he uses that phrase a LOT more frequently than I do (that being once). Unless you lost a loved one there, relax! If you empower the actions that they took, you're encouraging it's repetition. WTF? WHY DOES HE KNOW HE WOULD HAVE BEEN KILLED? UBER-JOCK WHO STARTED IT ALL, I PRESUME. THERE IS NO POINT TO THIS STATEMENT, NOR MY REPLY.

i'm not really this big of a bitch most of the time, as some of you know, but this iPod update thing is *really* burning my ass. so apologies. NO WORRIES.

mstecker
Mar 26, 2003, 11:18 AM
Caught up in the rumors frenzy, I sold my 20G iPod (this was my second - I had an original 5G before that) a few months ago. My hope was to get top-dollar for it being the current top-of-the-line model (eBay), then be first in line when the new iPod came out. It was surely going to come out that Tuesday, or the next Tuesday, or the next Tuesday, or ...

I just hope that something comes out soon, becuase I'm iPodless. I'm close to breaking down and buying the same model of iPod that I just sold - for a considerable loss.

Oh well, you win some and lose some. This one, I'm losing.

Matthew

chewbaccapits
Mar 26, 2003, 11:30 AM

i'm not really this big of a bitch most of the time, as some of you know, but this iPod update thing is *really* burning my ass. so apologies.

pnw

I would guess that this thread does rub you the wrong way paul cause that statement is a little insensitive. The whole colombine tragedy is still fresh in our minds and still a potential threat in all schools. My wife is a high school teacher and I ALWAYS fear that crap can happen again.

Bear
Mar 26, 2003, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by yzedf
Originally posted by paulwhannel ...

*USB2.0 is a redundant technology that should not be supported for any reason. the iPod is the fastest and best (correct me if i'm wrong) selling MP3 player ever, so I think they've done well on FW. YOU ARE MISSING THE POINT. REDUNDANCY != BAD. USB 2.0 IS ANOTHER BOAT APPLE HAS MISSED (THINK SCANNERS....)

Actually what is wrong with putting both USB and FireWire on the iPod is that the extra circuitry will increase the size of the iPod.

Although I do believe the current generation of Macs should have had USB 2.0 in them.

wdodd
Mar 26, 2003, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Bear
Although I do believe the current generation of Macs hould have had USB 2.0 in them.
I have to agree with that. It would've been nice to move up to USB 2.0, especially since it is fully compatible with 1.1 (even uses the same connectors, go figure!).

Bear
Mar 26, 2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by mstecker
Caught up in the rumors frenzy, I sold my 20G iPod (this was my second - I had an original 5G before that) a few months ago. My hope was to get top-dollar for it being the current top-of-the-line model (eBay), then be first in line when the new iPod came out. It was surely going to come out that Tuesday, or the next Tuesday, or the next Tuesday, or ...

I just hope that something comes out soon, becuase I'm iPodless. I'm close to breaking down and buying the same model of iPod that I just sold - for a considerable loss.

Oh well, you win some and lose some. This one, I'm losing.

Matthew
If the next iPod is only one with a larger harddrive, I don't think you've made a good choice.

If it has other features that won't work in the current iPods, you may have made the right choice.

As I've stated before, until either my iPod breaks out of warranty or Apple introduces something I must have in a new iPod, I'm keeping my 10GB iPod. It works. It holds more than enough music for a trip. And I have it in my paws instead of waiting for the new iPod announcement.

MeanE
Mar 26, 2003, 01:21 PM
Damn damn ... why did I decided to buy an iPod right at this time ;) If I had done it a couple of months ago I would of just bought one. Now I am stuck with this big want of one, but people (even the store I went too) are saying the "new ones" will be out soon...arggg! When!

*repeat mantra....you are making miniscule intrest on the saved money...you are making miniscule interest on the saved money* Its not working ;)

bennetsaysargh
Mar 26, 2003, 02:59 PM
i just hope that they come out soon.
next time anyone that reads this goes to an apple store, ask when new iPods are coming out. if they say soon, then ask how soon. ask if they can give you any details. ask all that you can.
please!

Doctor Q
Mar 26, 2003, 04:08 PM
i just hope that they come out soon.
next time anyone that reads this goes to an apple store, ask when new iPods are coming out. if they say soon, then ask how soon. ask if they can give you any details. ask all that you can.
please! Not only are the salespeople not allowed to tell you about unannounced products, but many of them have told me they don't know about products ahead of time, and I tend to believe them. Of course, when Apple announces a new product, them seem to have at least one to demonstrate very quickly, so maybe the store manager knows. Or maybe Apple sends the store plain-wrapped boxes labeled "secret new product - do not open until so-and-so date"!

If politely asking the store manager doesn't work, you could
(a) offer a bribe
(b) threaten his/her next of kin
(c) pretend you are Steve Jobs
(d) take wild guesses in MacRumors
(e) wait for MacRumors to get a scoop on the announcement
(f) wait for the official announcement

Choice (f) is no fun, so I prefer (d) and (e).