Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SuperCompu2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2006
MA
i have a (gig E) Dual 500MHz PowerMac G4. The fans run at a constant (kinda noisy) rate all the time. Did this model of PowerMac have variable fan speeds, and if so could it be switched lower? The computer really isnt running that hot, with the internal thermometer reading around 98 degrees Farenheit most of the time.

Thanks

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
I think you can set that in open firmware, but I've never done it. Google around, I'm sure you can find something about it somewhere...

And just a warning, if your cooling isn't doing enough, the computer will likley shut down on it's own or, worse, the processor could melt. I think that chip has an auto-shut off feature for overheating, but I could definitely be wrong on that.

I have a Sawtooth, and the fan runs pretty constantly. Just stick it under your desk if you don't want to take any risks, I barely hear mine (though my video card fan has been kinda loud recently).

SuperCompu2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2006
MA
thanks, i dont think I'm gonna mess with the firmware. Im a native Windows guy and I'm not familiar enough yet with that sort of thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.