PDA

View Full Version : Apple AirPort _-_ 3.0 Update

boskie
Mar 24, 2003, 07:07 PM
The AirPort 3.0 software release (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=120201) supports both AirPort Extreme and AirPort products.

At 54Mbps, AirPort Extreme uses the next-generation wireless LAN technology which delivers up to five times more bandwidth for up to 50 users.

AirPort Extreme delivers higher speeds for customers who have both the AirPort Extreme Card and the AirPort Extreme Base Station. However, AirPort Extreme will work with all AirPort products. So with an AirPort Extreme Base Station and an AirPort card, using AirPort 3.0 software, you'll still enjoy significant benefits, especially from the standpoint of printing, administration, and options for extending the range of your wireless network.

alset
Mar 24, 2003, 07:21 PM
Maybe this will solve some of the problems my instructor is having with the wireless we are using at my school. I'll tip him off to it right away.

This didn't show up under software update. I wouldn't have known if you didn't post this link, so many thanks.

Dan

MrMacMan
Mar 24, 2003, 07:38 PM
I've always had a question about the airport updates...
A) All the systems that run airport in my house are OS 9. Do I have a problem updating with this?
B) This iMac is connected through a network to the airport not using the airport as a connection itself will it be able to upgrade the (regular) basestation... and if it can how can it.

Thanks.

NavyIntel007
Mar 24, 2003, 08:36 PM
Hopefully this will solve some speed issues, lag time and disconnects.

BubbaTAC
Mar 24, 2003, 09:42 PM
Is this just a base station firware upgrade, or is there client software to? I have an airport card, but am connected to a network for linksys and netgear stations. Do I need this, or is it just for people with apple base stations?

Mal
Mar 24, 2003, 09:51 PM
Mr Macman, once you upgrade your firmware past 3.x, you can no longer administer it through Mac OS 9. The solution? Don't upgrade your Airport software until you have OS X.

JW

iJon
Mar 24, 2003, 10:32 PM
this is old news, i had this on my powerbook for about 2 months now.

iJon

irmongoose
Mar 24, 2003, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by iJon
this is old news, i had this on my powerbook for about 2 months now.

iJon

That's impossible... or are you talking about your new powerbook and it had it installed when it shipped?

irmongoose

iJon
Mar 24, 2003, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by irmongoose
That's impossible... or are you talking about your new powerbook and it had it installed when it shipped?

irmongoose
not impossible, i did have a new powerbook but the 3.0 cd came in the airport extreme boxes. if it was so special i would have released it to everyone a long time ago.

iJon

irmongoose
Mar 24, 2003, 10:42 PM
not impossible, i did have a new powerbook but the 3.0 cd came in the airport extreme boxes. if it was so special i would have released it to everyone a long time ago.

iJon

Ahh, right. Makes sense... 10.2.4 was already out on the new machines a few weeks before Apple released it to everyone else, too...

irmongoose

iJon
Mar 24, 2003, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by irmongoose
Ahh, right. Makes sense... 10.2.4 was already out on the new machines a few weeks before Apple released it to everyone else, too...

irmongoose
12 inch powerbooks shipped with 10.2.3. and it wasnt on the powerbook, it was on the airport extreme boxes.

iJon

iJon
Mar 24, 2003, 10:44 PM
also i dont know what it fixed, seems fine to me. i just really wish i could still use my linksys router with this airport extreme card, damn that router kicked apples to the curb and back.

iJon

seven5
Mar 24, 2003, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by BubbaTAC
Is this just a base station firware upgrade, or is there client software to? I have an airport card, but am connected to a network for linksys and netgear stations. Do I need this, or is it just for people with apple base stations?

can anyone answer this question? I've always wondered this as well. I TOO have airport in my iBook with a linksys wireless router.

sparkleytone
Mar 24, 2003, 10:56 PM
linksys' wireless routers basically blow. if you are having some big problems with them and you can't take it back, there is one fix that works a good bit of the time. turn off the DHCP Server and make all the clients use static private IPs (192.168.1.x or 10.1.1.x etc). amazingly this fixes a TON of problems with their routers. i would never buy a linksys router.

iJon
Mar 24, 2003, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by sparkleytone
linksys' wireless routers basically blow. if you are having some big problems with them and you can't take it back, there is one fix that works a good bit of the time. turn off the DHCP Server and make all the clients use static private IPs (192.168.1.x or 10.1.1.x etc). amazingly this fixes a TON of problems with their routers. i would never buy a linksys router.
odd, i guess i had great luck. i had it set up in 5 minutes, and that beast had a great range. i could go sit under trees in backyard and browse the web, now with my airport extreme im lucky to get to my backdoor which leads to the trees.

iJon

seven5
Mar 24, 2003, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by sparkleytone

I didn't say i had a problem with my router. I've never had a problem with it actually. I do have dhcp turned off though as i would never use it in my house, especially on a wireless network.

i just want to know if this update is for JUST the apple base station or if it updates Os X in some way to make my iBook better, not that it could get much better than an iBook + wireless.

alset
Mar 25, 2003, 12:24 AM
odd, i guess i had great luck. i had it set up in 5 minutes, and that beast had a great range. i could go sit under trees in backyard and browse the web, now with my airport extreme im lucky to get to my backdoor which leads to the trees.

iJon

Which router is this? What's the ballpark cost? What advertised range, and real-use range?

I was thinking about getting a base station (I currently just use two cards) but if this is a good way to go, I'll take it.

Thanks in advance!
Dan

yzedf
Mar 25, 2003, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by seven5
I didn't say i had a problem with my router. I've never had a problem with it actually. I do have dhcp turned off though as i would never use it in my house, especially on a wireless network.

i just want to know if this update is for JUST the apple base station or if it updates Os X in some way to make my iBook better, not that it could get much better than an iBook + wireless.
You can limit the number of connections to DHCP if you are so worried about it. And that is before we start talking about encryption of course. Besides, a static internal IP can be guessed fairly easily...

As to your main question; RTFA:

Upgrading to AirPort 3.0

There are two steps in upgrading to AirPort 3.0

1. Upgrade the AirPort software on your computer.

2. Upgrade the software on your AirPort Base Station.

yzedf
Mar 25, 2003, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by alset
Which router is this? What's the ballpark cost? What advertised range, and real-use range?

I was thinking about getting a base station (I currently just use two cards) but if this is a good way to go, I'll take it.

Thanks in advance!
Dan
I'll chime in too:

Linksys BEFW11S4 (802.11b)

http://linksys.com/Products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=35&prid=415

I live in a 4 family house (gotta love the Northeast US), I can go through 2 internal walls, the outside wall, and another 50-60 feet into the street. Total distance is about 200ft. I can get close to 300ft (which is the spec for 802.11b) if there are no walls in the way. Not to mention that they sell a signal booster for it if you want more range without doing the Pringle's can hack...

Setup is a 5 min thing, as iJon stated before. You can run DHCP, or not. Also has 4 port switch for the wired computers in the house (or the Tivo).

Can be had for $75-100.

http://www.nextag.com/Linksys_Etherfast_AP_Cable~4143400z0znzzz1000zzLinksys_BEFW11S4zmainz2-htm

robotrenegade
Mar 25, 2003, 08:58 AM
So is update is not for verison 2 base stations?

syrreg
Mar 25, 2003, 09:09 AM
Unfortunately, the new ABS software still won't let you change the IP address of your Airport Base Station. This is a limitation of Apple's software, not the ABS itself.

10.0.1.1 conflicts with the IP scheme we use at work, so when I VPN to the office, I have all sorts of routing problems accessing the company's machines.

ninja
Mar 25, 2003, 09:29 AM
"..if you want more range without doing the Pringle's can hack..."

And how does the "Pringle's can hack" work...?

AlphaTech
Mar 25, 2003, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by robotrenegade
So is update is not for verison 2 base stations?

I have the dual ethernet base station (aka snow base station) which I make sure has the latest firmware version installed as soon as possible (when they are released). Under OS X.2.4, I updated my TiBook's software, which also updated the admin package. No changes/updates were done to the base, since it was already at the latest firmware version.

It was a snap to install the update, I simply downloaded it from Versiontracker last night, installed it on my TiBook and restarted (as prompted to). I then [for S&Gs] launched the admin utility, which just showed me the new interface.

I have done updates before when connected to the base with a network cable (back when I had a tower without an Airport card installed). Updates CAN be done that way, rather easily at that.

When it comes right down to it, I firmly believe that the Apple Airport Base Station is simply the best wireless access point out there. Its a snap to set up (in a few minutes for even the technically challenged), runs beautifuly, and allows you to share your internet connection (either dial-up OR high speed) with both Mac and pc systems. I know, for a fact, that it's MUCH easier to set up then the Linksys product, since I've set up both. I was able to set up my Airport base in about 1/10th the time it took to do the Linksys product. :p

When I get my next PowerBook, I will probably get the new Airport Extreme base station as well. Simply to get the 54Mbps transfer rate (over the 11Mb I get with my current base). Oh, and with the new base stations (extreme) you can get the external antenae to extend the range even further. Still, the range without is impressive, considering how the antenae is INTERNAL to the unit. :p

A

AlphaTech
Mar 25, 2003, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by syrreg
Unfortunately, the new ABS software still won't let you change the IP address of your Airport Base Station. This is a limitation of Apple's software, not the ABS itself.

10.0.1.1 conflicts with the IP scheme we use at work, so when I VPN to the office, I have all sorts of routing problems accessing the company's machines.

Bubba, there IS a place to change the base station's IP address... you just have to look for it (it's easy to find for those with more then a few living brain cells :eek: ).

This has been there since at least version 2.x of the airport software, if not earlier. I checked my own base before updating to version 3 and saw the field. I CHOOSE to leave it at 10.x.x.x since that also allows me to keep it a closed network, for increased security.

Also, it's EASY to add/open ports with the ABS, you just have to use your brain. :rolleyes:

buseman
Mar 25, 2003, 10:52 AM
Still doesn't fix the issue with poppy USB sound while network activity :(

pilotgi
Mar 25, 2003, 11:50 AM
I just installed the 3.0 update on my iBook with a Netgear wireless router. Everything's working fine.

yzedf
Mar 25, 2003, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by ninja
"..if you want more range without doing the Pringle's can hack..."

And how does the "Pringle's can hack" work...?
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=pringles+antenna&btnG=Google+Search

yzedf
Mar 25, 2003, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by AlphaTech
I have done updates before when connected to the base with a network cable (back when I had a tower without an Airport card installed). Updates CAN be done that way, rather easily at that.

When it comes right down to it, I firmly believe that the Apple Airport Base Station is simply the best wireless access point out there. Its a snap to set up (in a few minutes for even the technically challenged), runs beautifuly, and allows you to share your internet connection (either dial-up OR high speed) with both Mac and pc systems. I know, for a fact, that it's MUCH easier to set up then the Linksys product, since I've set up both. I was able to set up my Airport base in about 1/10th the time it took to do the Linksys product. :p
One thing regarding the Linksys that you overlook. No need to install admin software on your laptop/desktop. Pull up a browser, go to 192.168.1.1 or whatever, put in the login name and password, and do your thing. Can be done from any machine on the network, at any time. None of this first time only with a cable thing!

I find that most people that state the airport station is easier to setup are overstating things. Usually it is no different than the Linksys. For this particular product.

AlphaTech
Mar 25, 2003, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by yzedf
One thing regarding the Linksys that you overlook. No need to install admin software on your laptop/desktop. Pull up a browser, go to 192.168.1.1 or whatever, put in the login name and password, and do your thing. Can be done from any machine on the network, at any time. None of this first time only with a cable thing!

I find that most people that state the airport station is easier to setup are overstating things. Usually it is no different than the Linksys. For this particular product.

No cable needed for setting up the base station. When I got my latest TiBook last year, I also picked up a new base station. At the time, the latest version was the dual ethernet/snow model which was fine with me. I powered up my TiBook, plugged things into the base (my DSL modem and printer) and all I had to do was have my laptop find the base on the network. It found it, I entered the default password that ALL base stations come with and was able to EASILY set everything up. I was up and running within moments of powering everything up.

When I did mention about setting up both items, I WAS talking about going by the PROVIDED instructions with each. The Apple base is hands-down the easier of the two. I haven't [yet] had a chance to try out Netgear's product, but from experience with Netgears other networking hardware, I'm inclinded to think that it will be easier then the Linksys product. :p