PDA

View Full Version : StorageForum_Net has fallen to Team Macrumors

Stelliform
Mar 24, 2003, 10:04 PM
And our intercept with MacAddict has been moved up to September 14, 2003! We are out crunching them by 600 pts a day! Keep up the crunching! And great job to everybody who has contributed even one work unit!

Oh, and we currently have no threats set to overtake the team!

Check it out for yourself (http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/folding/teams/detail_3446.html) <Thanks MrMacMan for the link>

Mr. Anderson
Mar 24, 2003, 10:11 PM
Wow, that's a long way off - I hope we can keep up the speed...;)

Very cool that we're moving so many WUs. I just wish I could find a few more computers to help....

D

Stelliform
Mar 24, 2003, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet
Wow, that's a long way off - I hope we can keep up the speed...;)

D

Well a few days ago it was in November. If we keep adding to our pace we can realistically overtake them in a few months. :)

mc68k
Mar 24, 2003, 11:10 PM
macaddit is as good as dead

i want to set sights for teammacosx.org

they seem to be less organized than us at this point

alset
Mar 24, 2003, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Stelliform
Well a few days ago it was in November. If we keep adding to our pace we can realistically overtake them in a few months. :)

Let's not think small... At the rate we're picking up steam, I say let's shoot for slaughtering them in ten weeks or less. That undercuts our current projections by a couple weeks.

Y'know, we need some cheerleaders or something in our corner.

Dan

Stelliform
Mar 24, 2003, 11:27 PM
We are out crunching them by 600 pts a day! Keep up the crunching! And great job to everybody who has contributed even one work unit!

I thought I was cheering. (Just without the dress. ;))

iJon
Mar 24, 2003, 11:43 PM
can someone give me the link to this page again. i will slowly get our whole pc lab running this program and contribute, i cant do it at home because my parents are paranoid and are scared some hacker will come in. is our team id 3446, i cant remember.

iJon

sparkleytone
Mar 24, 2003, 11:53 PM
as soon as my emac comes in it will be running folding nonstop. i hope that is a pretty good contribution.

mc68k
Mar 24, 2003, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by iJon
can someone give me the link to this page again.which page?is our team id 3446, i cant remember.yes it's 3446

if you have anymore questions post them. we'd love to have u folding 4 us.Originally posted by sparkleytone
as soon as my emac comes in it will be running folding nonstop. i hope that is a pretty good contribution. a fine contribution. we thank you. :)

iJon
Mar 24, 2003, 11:58 PM
to download the software.

iJon

Stelliform
Mar 25, 2003, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by sparkleytone
as soon as my emac comes in it will be running folding nonstop. i hope that is a pretty good contribution.

Any contribution is a good contribution. Think of it this way, right now we are gaining on AthlonXP at a rate of 34 points a day. Lets say that your rate on your eMac is 10 pts a day. You now have single handedly increased our gain on AthlonXP by 33%!!

Keep on folding!

iJon
Mar 25, 2003, 12:08 AM
does folding use any ports that i should have to worry about. actually im not really worried. my parents have sensitive data but knowing that we are running os x and 2 firewalls behind our network i really dont feel to need to worry. if you guys tell me i have nothing to worry about i have a 2ghz p4 and a dual 1.25ghz g4 i can run this stuff on. please dont lie to me either to get me to do it,lol. i know its tempting

iJon

Rower_CPU
Mar 25, 2003, 12:30 AM
iJon, you can find a lot of answers to your questions on our FAQ page, stickied at the top of the Distributed Computing forum.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?threadid=21908

Welcome to Team MacRumors! :)

sparkleytone
Mar 25, 2003, 12:47 AM
well alright then, i just took my 24/7 linux pentium133 off of useless seti and put it on f@h. it'll probably take six years a wu but hey whatever.

mc68k
Mar 25, 2003, 02:02 AM
to download the software.

iJon http://folding.stanford.edu/download.html
-or-
http://homepage.mac.com/mc68kOriginally posted by iJon
does folding use any ports that i should have to worry about?no the ports are configurable. my scripts use the default port that folding sets up.

mc68k
Mar 25, 2003, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by sparkleytone
well alright then, i just took my 24/7 linux pentium133 off of useless seti and put it on f@h. it'll probably take six years a wu but hey whatever. there are deadlines (http://folding.stanford.edu/psummary.html). the slowest machine i have running is a PII 333 w/512KB cache and it finishes on time.

the benchmarking machine is a 400MHz celeron.

sparkleytone
Mar 25, 2003, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by mc68k
there are deadlines (http://folding.stanford.edu/psummary.html). the slowest machine i have running is a PII 333 w/512KB cache and it finishes on time.

the benchmarking machine is a 400MHz celeron.

yeah i did read that. hopefully, even tho my machine is slow, crunching 24/7 will let it keep up with deadlines.

yogi477
Mar 25, 2003, 11:44 AM
I want to contribute but which client is the fastest, the graphical or text based and is the text based harder to use. Also, can you resume units to finish them later like with SETI?

mc68k
Mar 25, 2003, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by yogi477
I want to contribute but which client is the fastest, the graphical or text based and is the text based harder to use. Also, can you resume units to finish them later like with SETI? yes you can resume the units.

the text based is easier and more transparent with my scripts. the GUI uses only one processor and takes up more CPU whether you have the app hidden or not.

whatever you're comfortable with is best. make sure you're getting the most out of you're machine.

iJon
Mar 25, 2003, 05:56 PM
well i have started crunching and have joined the macrumors team. i am currently crunching on a dual 1.25 ghz g4, 12 inch powerbook, 2gh p4, 3 p3 systems at school. hopefully that will contribute some, i started last night and i have already crunched through 60% of a 400 point protein on my pc.

iJon

britboy
Mar 25, 2003, 06:11 PM
well i have started crunching and have joined the macrumors team. i am currently crunching on a dual 1.25 ghz g4, 12 inch powerbook, 2gh p4, 3 p3 systems at school. hopefully that will contribute some, i started last night and i have already crunched through 60% of a 400 point protein on my pc.

iJon

Not meaning to be pedantic, but it's probably actually just a 400 frame protein, rather than 400 points. Check the points page (as given by mc68k (http://folding.stanford.edu/psummary.html)), to see how much your particular protein is worth.

szark
Mar 25, 2003, 06:54 PM
Add one more 2.4 Ghz P4 to the list...:)

iJon
Mar 25, 2003, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by britboy
Not meaning to be pedantic, but it's probably actually just a 400 frame protein, rather than 400 points. Check the points page (as given by mc68k (http://folding.stanford.edu/psummary.html)), to see how much your particular protein is worth.
ah whatever, im just helping you guys out, frams or points, its all the same to me.

iJon

MrMacMan
Mar 25, 2003, 07:29 PM
Check it out for yourself (http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/folding/teams/detail_3446.html) <Thanks MrMacMan for the link>

OMG, SOMEONE WHO DOESN'T STEAL OTHERS LINKS???
:breaks down and crys: ;)

macaddit is as good as dead

i want to set sights for teammacosx.org

they seem to be less organized than us at this point
And we aren't going and recruiting their 'dead' members? Um ... hello go over there and make our presence felt! :)

Any contribution is a good contribution. Think of it this way, right now we are gaining on AthlonXP at a rate of 34 points a day. Lets say that your rate on your eMac is 10 pts a day. You now have single handedly increased our gain on AthlonXP by 33%!!

Keep on folding!
I'd like to say that it not even close... my iMac uploads every 2-3 days... Don't expect so much from 1 eMac. :D (unless it is the little eMac that could, then it can do anything)

Wow sudden rush is members, which cave did you people come out of so I can recruit some more people. :D

Did you guys never DC before or something...?

The FAQ page should help you out. For the mac we all love mc68k's scripts (single and dual) and then use one of the 2 progress apps out there. If you have PC and Mac you probably want the one that runs on JAVA (bousozoku's app) because it is cross platform...
Good luck, good folding.
(BTW, the passing date is now Step. 29th)

kylos
Mar 25, 2003, 07:39 PM
I just started folding on my 500 mhz ibook. Hope I can hit the deadlines. I have some heavy processes running at times and they only give 2.5 times the run time for their celeron for the deadline.

MrMacMan
Mar 25, 2003, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Kyle?
I just started folding on my 500 mhz ibook. Hope I can hit the deadlines. I have some heavy processes running at times and they only give 2.5 times the run time for their celeron for the deadline.
you should be able to make the dealine unless heavy apps are running more than 80% of the time. (guess) but you should be fine if less.
12-14 days should be enough for your iBook, anything more is kinda streching the processor (time limits).

iJon
Mar 25, 2003, 08:25 PM
ok i have one question, i dont think it was in the faq, but if it is dont get mad a me,lol. i am using the dual scripts. do the dual scripts crunch the same protein or two different ones, because i am using the graphical interface to see my protein and i can only get 1 to pop up?

iJon

mc68k
Mar 25, 2003, 08:34 PM
ok i have one question, i dont think it was in the faq, but if it is dont get mad a me,lol. i am using the dual scripts. do the dual scripts crunch the same protein or two different ones, because i am using the graphical interface to see my protein and i can only get 1 to pop up?by graphical interface do you mean the GUI client or one of the homade apps that one of the members here made?

paste this line into a terminal to do a quick check on which proteins you have.

cd ~/F@H1/; cat FAHlog.txt|grep Protein:; cd ~/F@H2/; cat FAHlog.txt|grep Protein:

the script makes two folders each of which are independent. sometimes they get the same protein but they crunch independently.

iJon
Mar 25, 2003, 08:38 PM
by graphical interface do you mean the GUI client or one of the homade apps that one of the members here made?

paste this line into a terminal to do a quick check on which proteins you have.

cd ~/F@H1/; cat FAHlog.txt|grep Protein:; cd ~/F@H2/; cat FAHlog.txt|grep Protein:

the script makes two folders each of which are independent. sometimes they get the same protein but they crunch independently.
i am using the graphical program from their site. it really didnt matter, i just wanted to know if each processor crunched the same one at the same time or 2 different ones (even if they are the same).

iJon

mc68k
Mar 25, 2003, 08:41 PM
i am using the graphical program from their site. it really didnt matter, i just wanted to know if each processor crunched the same one at the same time or 2 different ones (even if they are the same).well the GUI places the data files in ~/Library/Folding@home

my scripts place the data files in ~/F@H1 and ~/FAH2

so when you ran the GUI program you were crunching a third independent protein :)

iJon
Mar 25, 2003, 08:50 PM
well the GUI places the data files in ~/Library/Folding@home

my scripts place the data files in ~/F@H1 and ~/FAH2

so when you ran the GUI program you were crunching a third independent protein :)
OH, well i stopped that, i just have two running now. probably wouldnt make the deadline running 3 even on a dual 1.25. this folding stuff is so weird, i still dont understand it to well and i dont really care, i just feel like helping you guys out since you all are so into it. i also love getting involved in things that would get your name to the top of something... cough cough learn and earn.

iJon

mc68k
Mar 25, 2003, 08:55 PM
...i just feel like helping you guys out since you all are so into it. i also love getting involved in things that would get your name to the top of something... cough cough learn and earn.thanks for the effort. some ppl here are running dual 1.25s and get really good scores as they crunch very fast. it's almost like having two machines.

we aim to be the top mac team, or at least i do

Stelliform
Mar 25, 2003, 09:09 PM

we aim to be the top mac team, or at least i do

I think you can safely say "we". BTW intercept with MacAddict now at August 29! We shaved off two weeks in a day! :cool:

mc68k
Mar 25, 2003, 09:12 PM
I think you can safely say "we". BTW intercept with MacAddict now at August 29! We shaved off two weeks in a day! :cool: lets hope our ouput is >= to our output of late

Stelliform
Mar 25, 2003, 09:23 PM
lets hope our ouput is >= to our output of late

With a little effort I am sure that we can surpass our current output. I just found out today that the guy I got to join our team, Macs4Me, also got someone else to join, crawfish_man. And I came in on the Poll membership drive you guys did. So hopefully we can grow our team by adding members when we, as individuals, cannot add any more machines under our names...

(And now Macs4Me visits macrumors.com's forums, so we are helping grow the readership. That should be worth at least an avatar!?!??! You listening Arn??? :D:p

mc68k
Mar 25, 2003, 09:26 PM
I just found out today that the guy I got to join our team, Macs4Me, also got someone else to join, crawfish_man.is this catfish_man from MR or someone else?

So hopefully we can grow our team by adding members when we, as individuals, cannot add any more machines under our names...that's exactly what i do. i'm maxed out ~4000 pts/wk

MrMacMan
Mar 25, 2003, 09:28 PM
\BTW intercept with MacAddict now at August 29! We shaved off two weeks in a day! :cool:
Wait a minute... that sounds eerily familar ... hm...
Originally posted by MrMacman
...etc...Good luck, good folding.
(BTW, the passing date is now Step. 29th)
:stares:

(And now Macs4Me visits macrumors.com's forums, so we are helping grow the readership. That should be worth at least an avatar!?!??! You listening Arn??? :D:p
:booming voice:
No, I'm not listening, DOH! ;) :D

Stelliform
Mar 25, 2003, 09:32 PM
is this catfish_man from MR or someone else?

Crawfish_man is a co-worker of Macs4Me. He just wanted to start folding, and is giving our team the points. :)

MrMacMan:

:Meek Voice:
It was worth a shot. ;)

iJon
Mar 25, 2003, 09:51 PM
With a little effort I am sure that we can surpass our current output. I just found out today that the guy I got to join our team, Macs4Me, also got someone else to join, crawfish_man. And I came in on the Poll membership drive you guys did. So hopefully we can grow our team by adding members when we, as individuals, cannot add any more machines under our names...

you gotta earn liek the rest of us, get posting.

iJon

MrMacMan
Mar 25, 2003, 10:28 PM
Look at me, I have one of the lowest daily posting averages but I post tons daily.

How the hell you ask, I have yet to find the answer but take a page from my book, post alot about everything you know. Oh yeah and help people alot.

Stelliform
Mar 25, 2003, 11:02 PM
Look at me, I have one of the lowest daily posting averages but I post tons daily.

How the hell you ask, I have yet to find the answer but take a page from my book, post alot about everything you know. Oh yeah and help people alot.

I am not worried. I post a couple times a day, and it will come when it comes.. :) I was just joking....

jelloshotsrule
Mar 26, 2003, 01:06 AM
well boys... it APPEARS as though chuck and i have fixed my problem. or at least gotten it to work

hopefully i will not finish another 400 frame protein (it would be the 3rd time, on duals... so. really about 6 units) and find out it didn't work right

hopefully i'll have this one done in the next 3-5 days.... 2 big units

mc68k
Mar 26, 2003, 01:15 AM
a public thanks for sticking with it jello.
many here prob would have cursed me/folding if given the same situation.

kudos

jelloshotsrule
Mar 26, 2003, 01:21 AM
a public thanks for sticking with it jello.
many here prob would have cursed me/folding if given the same situation.

kudos

hip hip.. hooray! hip hip... hooray! hip hip... hooray!

on 3...... for he's a jolly good fellow... for he's.....

MrMacMan
Mar 26, 2003, 04:05 PM
Good job sticking with it.

BTW, can you tell us the problem so we all know what to never never never do? :)

If it helped jello, someone else is bound to have a replica problem. Guaranteed.

jelloshotsrule
Mar 26, 2003, 04:58 PM
just used the new script and tried it again... that's about it..... so get the newest script all....

if you have problems that is

MrMacMan
Mar 26, 2003, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
just used the new script and tried it again... that's about it..... so get the newest script all....

if you have problems that is

Yeah but finish your current unit first tho. :o

Stelliform
Mar 26, 2003, 08:27 PM
I think you can safely say "we". BTW intercept with MacAddict now at August 29! We shaved off two weeks in a day! :cool:

:) :) Today we will overtake them on Jul 15th! That is a month and a half jump in one day! Keep up the crunching!:D :D

Don't count LWD out yet. They seem to be rallying. :) <Bring it on! :p>

LWD's Toast's Daily Rag Thread (http://www.littleblackdog.com/viewtopic.php?t=13389)

iJon
Mar 26, 2003, 08:39 PM
well i just added 19.7 to the score. i am crunching on about 9 computers. but i must say this 2ghz pc its beating my dual 1.25 the curb and leaving it there to rot.

iJon

Stelliform
Mar 26, 2003, 08:49 PM
well i just added 19.7 to the score. i am crunching on about 9 computers. but i must say this 2ghz pc its beating my dual 1.25 the curb and leaving it there to rot.

iJon

I don't think that we will see performance like that on the Mac side until altevec. I cannot wait. My Athlon 700 is smoking my TiBook 1 Ghz. :(

iJon
Mar 26, 2003, 08:55 PM
I don't think that we will see performance like that on the Mac side until altevec. I cannot wait. My Athlon 700 is smoking my TiBook 1 Ghz. :(
yeah i completly agree and that is what i have heard. i dont think my mac is slow or anything, its just at folding pc's have the advantage, but who buys s computer to fold anyways.

iJon

jelloshotsrule
Mar 26, 2003, 09:02 PM
Yeah but finish your current unit first tho. :o

right, but for mine it wasn't working without it... so i was just wasting time!.... so if it's not working for people... try the latest script...

shizzle mo

MrMacMan
Mar 26, 2003, 11:28 PM
Crap if LWD comes back AGAIN, I'm gonna really be pissed off and steal my whole blocks computers and install F@H on all of them. god damn it, they get all there SETI people to move to folding, were really gonna need 'an act of god' Just in case, I'll devote all my time to getting my friends (PC, sorry :rolleyes:) to run the damned thing.

WILL YOU DIE ALREADY?!?!?

oh god its late... WHY AM I STILL HERE?!?!?!
oh yeah history project, BAH!!

iJon
Mar 26, 2003, 11:58 PM
Crap if LWD comes back AGAIN, I'm gonna really be pissed off and steal my whole blocks computers and install F@H on all of them. god damn it, they get all there SETI people to move to folding, were really gonna need 'an act of god' Just in case, I'll devote all my time to getting my friends (PC, sorry :rolleyes:) to run the damned thing.

WILL YOU DIE ALREADY?!?!?

oh god its late... WHY AM I STILL HERE?!?!?!
oh yeah history project, BAH!!
i am slowly getting folding onto many computers at school. i probablyshouldnt but i am, haha.

iJon

Rower_CPU
Mar 27, 2003, 12:09 AM
MrMacman, why are you tripping out about LWD?

They're still a ways back of us and we're only putting more points between us and them every day...

MrMacMan
Mar 27, 2003, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
MrMacman, why are you tripping out about LWD?

They're still a ways back of us and we're only putting more points between us and them every day...

omg, you use the word tripping in a sentence. Anyway I really don't want LWD to come back, they are dead. They need to stay far far far back.
I know they aren't matching us right now, but remember they have a dieing SETI team. Once SETI dies off there gonna flood Folding.
I mean atleast this is gonna happen with all the sites with both Folding and Seti.

MrMacMan
Mar 29, 2003, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by TonyPrevite
at their forum
Yes we're happy......we need more Folders in the Fray....some people at macosrumors think it's inevetable that they'll beat us.....they're still 100,000 points behind, but outproducing us handily....let's not give them the satisfaction
In a couple months we will come up against the #2 mac team. But this shows the problem.
The problem: mixing up 2 very very different sites.
MacOsRumors and us, MacRumors .

Yes we are gonna beat you. And no, we are not MacOsRumors.
wow... do you think it was blatent or just forgetfull?

Rower_CPU
Mar 29, 2003, 02:50 AM
Honest mistake, probably.

You got a link to that thread with the quote?

MrMacMan
Mar 29, 2003, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
Honest mistake, probably.

You got a link to that thread with the quote?

No problem. You might want to bookmark there forums, I predict cross forum exchanges as we get closer to beating them. (http://www.macaddict.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12633)

howard
Mar 29, 2003, 07:38 PM
hopefully we can keep up and increase our output as it has the last month or so. do you think arn could put up that folding thing again on the front page that says...striving to be the number 2 mac team? or something? i think that helped alot.

MrMacMan
Mar 29, 2003, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by howard
hopefully we can keep up and increase our output as it has the last month or so. do you think arn could put up that folding thing again on the front page that says...striving to be the number 2 mac team? or something? i think that helped alot.

Maybe that did good, but what the hell is wrong with the main page right now anyway, it shows the old news thin on main page... glitch? Bug? Hackage?

Dunno.

If we keep production up we are all good. :D

Stelliform
Mar 29, 2003, 08:43 PM
Yeah, the overtake time for MacAddict is now in June. :)

Rower_CPU
Mar 29, 2003, 09:33 PM
Well, I went over there and posted a couple of things.

Hopefully we can put this incident behind us and move on with good competition. :)

Stelliform
Mar 29, 2003, 11:54 PM
Agreed, I have no problem of looking the other way when our members borrow computers at libraries and labs, but to hijack a team's new members really isn't playing nice.

AmbitiousLemon
Mar 30, 2003, 12:36 AM
hey guys. once again im thinking of quitting folding. sorry but my computer is just barely too slow it seems (800mhz g4 imac)

i just spent 2 weeks folding a 70pt WU deadline was 14 days i finished on today (the 14th day) and got no credit for it. and now i have been given another 14 day deadline WU.

seems like my mac is just barely too slow for folding. i am thinking ill shut it down until they get altivec enabled. there just doesnt seem to be any reason for me to continue since i cant complete any of the workunits fast enough for them to count.

its rather frustrating because there are people with PIIs and PIIIs folding and yet my g4 mac cant keep up. clearly the mac app is poorly written.

Rower_CPU
Mar 30, 2003, 12:42 AM
Sorry to hear that, AL.

If you're doing work that comes in after the deadline and you get no points it's tough to justify the CPU cycles, so I understand.

Hopefully people are being vocal about Altivec support in upcoming cores. (hint, hint)

AmbitiousLemon
Mar 30, 2003, 12:47 AM
yeah iwas actually kidna happy when i got taht 70pt unit. thought it would really help. and the most annoying thing is a made it in time. at least i thought so. i finsihed within 14 days. i finsihed early on the 14th day. but i guess the deadline means you ahve to finish before the day starts not before the day ends. so yo really only have 13 days. i was so close too. literally finsihed minutes after the deadline.

from talking with people who run RC5 it sounds like altivec has made a huge difference. Mac teams jumping way ahead of the others. i dont see why it has taken stanford so long to get altivec support. the campus just like berkeley and most tier one schools are almost all macs. you would think their cs department would see the value in supporting all the macs they have on campus. here at berkeley seti is running on almost every computer on campus. id assume it would be the same at stanford. ill have to check next time im over there.

MrMacMan
Mar 30, 2003, 12:51 PM
Sorry to hear that :(
But one WU not being counted aint really so bad.
All you need to do is have the machine 1% more idle and you got your 70 pointer in the bag.

The mac core sucks. When they finnally give us gromac core it should help us all out.

AmbitiousLemon
Mar 30, 2003, 12:57 PM
well ive left it running. i figure i cant even tell its running and it takes more effort to turn it off than to let it keep rolling.

ive actually not been using my computer much the past couple weeks so i dont think there is any chance of giving it more idle time.

we'll see. the wu i worked on isnt on the project list anymore so ill never get it again. maybe this 14 day deadline one is smaller just by enough.

MrMacMan
Mar 30, 2003, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon
well ive left it running. i figure i cant even tell its running and it takes more effort to turn it off than to let it keep rolling.

ive actually not been using my computer much the past couple weeks so i dont think there is any chance of giving it more idle time.

we'll see. the wu i worked on isnt on the project list anymore so ill never get it again. maybe this 14 day deadline one is smaller just by enough.
A) process viewer
b) terminal 'top' command
If FahCore_65.exe is running good, your on your way. :D

BTW: I have iMac 800 G4 and it completes all WU fine and easily beats the dealine. :rolleyes:

Edit: What the hell is wrong AL? You just uploaded a 55 pointer? Your stats (http://folding.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/userpage?name=AmbitiousLemon)

bousozoku
Mar 30, 2003, 07:14 PM
hey guys. once again im thinking of quitting folding. sorry but my computer is just barely too slow it seems (800mhz g4 imac)

i just spent 2 weeks folding a 70pt WU deadline was 14 days i finished on today (the 14th day) and got no credit for it. and now i have been given another 14 day deadline WU.

seems like my mac is just barely too slow for folding. i am thinking ill shut it down until they get altivec enabled. there just doesnt seem to be any reason for me to continue since i cant complete any of the workunits fast enough for them to count.

its rather frustrating because there are people with PIIs and PIIIs folding and yet my g4 mac cant keep up. clearly the mac app is poorly written.

It's too bad that your G4 iMac is so slow since my PowerMac G3/400 and other people's G3s keep producing. Is it running 24/7?

MrMacMan
Mar 31, 2003, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by bousozoku
It's too bad that your G4 iMac is so slow since my PowerMac G3/400 and other people's G3s keep producing. Is it running 24/7?

Yeah its kinda fishy when much slower computers finish way faster than what your saying...

AmbitiousLemon
Mar 31, 2003, 08:56 AM
it has to do with the benchmarking that the folding app does. slower machines will not be given large WUs. I have been given the largest work units available and my machine just isnt up to snuf.

Stelliform
Mar 31, 2003, 10:38 AM
AL, I hope you can get everthing working, because we sure could use the help.

For the first time since I have been monitoring the stats on this page (http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/folding/teams/detail_3446.html) we have someone crunching faster than we are behind us. ABIT is outpacing us only by 160 points a day. I am sure that we can increase production to match them. (Expecially since we added 18 new members in the last 7 days. :):))

And once again a hearty thanks to all the one computer members out there. Our teams huge increase in speed is in no small part due to your contributions.... Thanks and keep folding!

Welnic
Mar 31, 2003, 11:03 AM
If you check out this page:

http://folding.stanford.edu/psummary.html

you will see that the 70 point wu have a 50 day deadline.

AmbitiousLemon
Mar 31, 2003, 11:06 AM
that has been changed.

the wu i was working on isnt on the list anymore.

i dont see why everyone feels they have to argue with me.

Stelliform
Mar 31, 2003, 11:26 AM
that has been changed.

the wu i was working on isnt on the list anymore.

i dont see why everyone feels they have to argue with me.

I believe you AmbitiousLemon. But I would consider this more of a fluke than a normal occurrence. I had a 400Mhz iMac complete several. I bet your machine is just on the edge of qualifing for the big ones. hopefully they will start sending smaller units...

mc68k
Mar 31, 2003, 12:27 PM
AL,

the last recorded WU (http://folding.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/userpage?name=AmbitiousLemon) for you was completed on 2003-03-29 23:02:10.

this was a 629 worth 55.5 points...was this the protein they gave you, or was this another machine that turned this in?

the 73 pointers were only the 626 and 627.

AmbitiousLemon
Mar 31, 2003, 12:31 PM
woohoo after it didnt show up for a few days i assumed i didnt get credit for it.

dstorey
Mar 31, 2003, 01:18 PM
My computer is realy slow (200 mhz P1) but i run it 24/7. It always misses the deadline (currently 14 day one and it'll take maybe 18 days to finish) but I still get the credit for it. As far as I know if you miss the deadline the team still gets the points (i've added only like 3 points since i started cause of the time it takes) but the work doesnt go to the good cause cause your folding is thrown away (maybe given to another computer?) cause it took so long. So if your doing it for the cause then being too slow maters an there is no point but if your doing it for team mac rumors then keep folding cause your pounts will count, just take a while to show up.

MrMacMan
Mar 31, 2003, 03:39 PM
woohoo after it didnt show up for a few days i assumed i didnt get credit for it.

But I told you that before his post... god damnit, even in the forums no one reads and pays attention.

I'll quote myself:

BTW: I have iMac 800 G4 and it completes all WU fine and easily beats the dealine. :rolleyes:

Edit: What the hell is wrong AL? You just uploaded a 55 pointer? Your stats (http://folding.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/userpage?name=AmbitiousLemon)

bah!
20,000 for the week, very nice team.

jethroted
Mar 31, 2003, 04:25 PM
All will bow down to the ultimate power of team MacRumors!!!!

AmbitiousLemon
Mar 31, 2003, 04:39 PM
ah you go back and edit your post after the fact. real smooth there macman

jelloshotsrule
Mar 31, 2003, 04:41 PM

but he did edit it before your next post...

MrMacMan
Mar 31, 2003, 05:11 PM

Yeah, wtf.
Look at the post stamp before calling me a lier
'Last edited by MrMacman on 03-30-2003 at 06:34 PM'
jesus, I don't lie on forums, whats the point of lieing here?
That was 3 hours before you posted your next post.

Whatever it doesn't matter, it just shows the level that everyone reads eachother posts.

Anyway we should really not talk much further. Your unit got counted, you skimmed over my post and didn't notice.Oh well.

dstorey
Mar 31, 2003, 05:11 PM

bah!
20,000 for the week, very nice team.

where did ABIT USA come from!!!!! they are out folding us and last time i checked a couple of days ago no one was close to doing that up to 23rd place and all the way down as far as i botherted to check. MSU arte annpoying me cause every time i see we grow 16, 17, 189 and now 20 in a week or so they respond with the same improvement though on the brightside they were destroying us not so long ago, lets hope we can push a bit more and catch them a little faster, plus i'd love to get in the top 20's this year, you think it'll be like'l, be great to pass a team named after linux too ;-)

MrMacMan
Mar 31, 2003, 05:18 PM
ABIT is a hardware manufacture...

I don't expect there output to increase much because it is probably only Company Machines...

Unless really happy customers gave units... but they are gaing, oh no, in 2004 watch out!
:p

AmbitiousLemon
Mar 31, 2003, 05:19 PM
[edited]

eyelikeart
Mar 31, 2003, 08:33 PM
hmm...someone call for help in here?

my suggestion is for u guys to all breathe...

that's it...in...out...in...out...smoothly...

now let's all be like a bunch of Fonzi's...and what was Fonzi? ;)

MrMacMan
Mar 31, 2003, 08:50 PM
Gone....

Stelliform
Apr 1, 2003, 10:38 AM
ABIT is a hardware manufacture...

I don't expect there output to increase much because it is probably only Company Machines...

Unless really happy customers gave units... but they are gaing, oh no, in 2004 watch out!
:p

Now they are going to overtake us September 2003.. . . They have a 400 point gain on us daily. Someone has dropped some serious power over there.....

Let's just not get too comfortable on our production of units. We still could use some more. :):)

On a side note, team Mac OS X is in our crosshairs.... Overtake date in September 2003.
Macaddict is still in June 2003 even though we have increased our production and we are now out producing them by nearly 1200 points daily!!

And so far today we have added two new members.... Welcome chibianh and andrewlandry! Keep on recruiting!

bousozoku
Apr 1, 2003, 02:26 PM
[edited]

This is one of the nicest things I've ever heard from you. :D

iJon
Apr 1, 2003, 05:57 PM
im still amazed on how we are doing so good considering my p4 is cranking these wu's out left and right and my powermac dual 1.25 isnt doing good at all. i know its all altivec that is slowing us down, i would just assume most pc computer would have us whooped because they are so much faster at this.

iJon

MrMacMan
Apr 1, 2003, 06:03 PM
Also: Watch out for:
General [M]ayhem, they have been creeping on the stats around our production for a while but finally ourproduced us and are currently set to beat us in 2016, well I expect maybe in a year or 2 we might see then near us in stats.
:rolleyes:

ABIT is outproducing us by 500 a day... bah.