Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kabooky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2005
Ok, so I dual boot with boot camp. I don't have macdrive and I was wanting to transfer something from osx to windows. I thought well, I will just grab my usb pendrive- copy, reboot and paste. It occurred to me why this is possible.

-The penddrive is formatted using FAT32, a filesystem both os's can read and write, now installing XP to a FAT32 is a joke, but has anyone thought of making a third partition.

We make a third partition the size of a gig, give or take to personal preference. The filesystem of that 3rd partition will be FAT32, that way both os's can read and write to it. So if you want to transfer things, you just copy or move the file to that FAT32 drive, reboot and do what you want with it.

Brilliant right!?

kabooky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2005
I wish- i'm just a little surprised I was the first one to think of it, (and announce it publically)

Did I mention it is free, it doesn't cost a thing except space, which in this case is a very worthwhile expenditure

Not something I can patent :(

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
kabooky said:
I wish- i'm just a little surprised I was the first one to think of it, (and announce it publically)

Did I mention it is free, it doesn't cost a thing except space, which in this case is a very worthwhile expenditure

Not something I can patent :(

You may as well give it a go.

"A method of allowing two operating systems to access files while residing on the same machine" :D

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Hate to tell you this but you're not the first to think of this particular solution. People have been doing it for years when trying to transfer files across filesystems which couldn't write to each other, dual booting Linux and anything Windows NT up while having a third FAT32 partition is a popular example and its one I've been doing for years. Its why all flash drives are formatted in FAT, everything can read and write to them.

kabooky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2005
vniow said:
Hate to tell you this but you're not the first to think of this particular solution. People have been doing it for years when trying to transfer files across filesystems which couldn't write to each other, dual booting Linux and anything Windows NT up while having a third FAT32 partition is a popular example and its one I've been doing for years. Its why all flash drives are formatted in FAT, everything can read and write to them.

You are correct in that fat drives have been used in the past to transfer files between os's. However-

Ever where you go that discusses the hype of dual-booting and solutions for transfering files has made no mention of this solution.

I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel alright, i just think people have forgotten about this method, or for newbies- this may be something completely new for them. Either way, it is a good solution for many.

timswim78

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2006
Baltimore, MD
kabooky said:
You are correct in that fat drives have been used in the past to transfer files between os's. However-

Ever where you go that discusses the hype of dual-booting and solutions for transfering files has made no mention of this solution.

I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel alright, i just think people have forgotten about this method, or for newbies- this may be something completely new for them. Either way, it is a good solution for many.

No, it has been proposed in this very forum, more than once. Here is one example.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/207365/

Mernak

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2006
Kirkland, WA
yeah it has been suggested many time before, most linux distros suggest that you have a FAT32 partition if you are duel booting operating system for any files that would be used on both operating systems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.