Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 8, 2005
I may be missing something here, but I can't find an effective way of transferring a file from the mac side to the windows side. Is there an easy way to do it without physically burning the files onto cd/dvd?

almightyshoe

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2006
B-Town, India
I was bumping this idea around in the Programming forum, but I have a theory of creating a ~5 gig FAT32 partition (FAT32 can be read and written on by both Mac and Windows). If OSX is Heaven and Windows is Hell, the partition can be considered Purgatory. In fact, that's what I'm calling it from now on: a Purgatory Drive.

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 8, 2005
That's a good idea. Is it possible to do that without making a whole new partition? Something like an iso file or a virtual USB flash drive?

almightyshoe

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2006
B-Town, India
Now here's where I'm going to start making stuff up: pop in Knoppix and see if you can shave a few gigs off another partition without wiping it completely.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
In paralles preference simply create a shared folder. Anything you put into in in OSX or Windows will be available to either os.... Remember to install parallel tools when your running windows, this creates the parallels shared folder shortcut in windows.

bugfaceuk

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2005
almightyshoe said:
That's a hell of a lot easier than my cockameenie idea. Go with that.

Your idea may have been naff, but the name is genius! Consider my share renamed purgatory.

Galore

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2006
Seems like a good solution to the issue. However i cant seem to find any menu / option that allows me to create a shared folder. Is it done in the console wiew (preferences) of Parallels or in Windows ? - Parallels tools dosent seem to have any menus / prefs.

Please help! :p

Thanks,

/Galore

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Have you installed Parallels Tools? You configure shared folders using the Shared Folder configuration when the VM is not running.

An alternative to the Parallels Shared Folders tool is to turn on Windows sharing on your Mac and map your home folder as a network drive.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
Actually, I would consider setting up a seperate partition for shared files a better solution... I'm not a Parallels user (PPC Mac), but I've got lots of experience with multiple operating systems on a single machine and that's the way to go.

1) If you Windows partition goes under, you don't lose your data (which is obviously something you want to use often if you're sharing it between OS's);

2) You don't have to have Parallels running (or even a small part of it) and taking up resources to access the shared files;

3) Even though Windows to OS X networking is pretty good, it's not perfect. Mounting a drive is a lot simpler than dealing with network shares, and more reliable;

4) Speed will almost certainly be better on both ends. The shared folder would be accessed through some sort of emulated SMB fileshare, I assume, which is a network protocol, which means redundancy and overhead. Mounting the partition directly means better speed;

5) Backups will probably be easier to maintain and schedule with a partition than with a shared folder.

Just my immediate reaction to the question and proposed solutions...

barr08

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
almightyshoe said:
I was bumping this idea around in the Programming forum, but I have a theory of creating a ~5 gig FAT32 partition (FAT32 can be read and written on by both Mac and Windows). If OSX is Heaven and Windows is Hell, the partition can be considered Purgatory. In fact, that's what I'm calling it from now on: a Purgatory Drive.

I think this is a really great idea. I use my FAT32 external to the same effect, but if someone doesnt have an external that can be read by both OS', then a small partition is pretty smart. Kudos!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.